Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 75 best looking films ever made (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63189)

ScarletLion 01-28-21 02:34 PM

The 75 best looking films ever made

So I thought I'd do a thread. Just to keep my mind ticking. I'm going to list what I feel are the 75 best looking films ever made, in terms of a combination of:

photography
camerawork
colours
framing
blocking
shot composition
mise-en-scène.

There will surely be a few that won't make the list that deserve to, but I haven't seen 'all the films' so go gentle.

I'm going to do a film every day or few days perhaps, post a gif or two and say a few words about why I think it looks great. Discussion is enthusiastically encouraged.

In all there will be 75 films, with some honourable mentions that didn't make the cut along the way too. Hope you like it. So, here's:

Scarletlion's 75 best looking films of all time thread

https://i.imgur.com/u3hXTM6.gif

ScarletLion 01-28-21 02:34 PM

Re: The 75 best looking films ever made

The List:
75. The Grand Budapest Hotel
74. Shane
73. Lost In Translation
72. The Master
71. The White Ribbon
70. Kill Bill Vol.1
69.The Spirit of the Beehive'
68. Hero
67. Let the Right One in
66. La Haine
65. Birdman
64. Limite
63. Once Upon a Time in the West
62. The Double Life of Véronique
61. City of God
60. Let the Corpses Tan
59. Only God Forgives
58. The Innocents
57. Nosferatu
56. Sunset Blvd
55. Embrace of the Serpent
54. Kwaidan
53. The Assassination of Jesse James
52. Raging Bull
51. Thief
50. Manhattan
49. November
48. Blade Runner 2049
47. Haxan
46. Brazil
45. Three Colours: Red
44. The Passenger
43. The Ballad of Narayama
42. Gabbeh
41. Sansho the Bailiff
40. The Cook, The Thief, His wife and her lover
39. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
38. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
37. The Man Who Wasn't There
36. Apocalypse Now
35. All that Heaven Allows
34. Suspiria
33. The Woman in the Dunes
32. The Holy Mountain
31. Ida
30. Tokyo Drifter
29. Enter the Void
28. The Wizard of Oz
27. Lawrence of Arabia
26. The Tree of Life
25: 'The Lady from Shanghai' (1947)
24: 'An Actor's revenge' (1963)
23: 'Werckmeister Harmonies' (2000)
22: 'Vertigo' (1958)
21: 'Mirror' (1975)

20: 'Paris, Texas' (1984)
19: 'Onibaba' (1964)
18: 'Last Year at Marienbad' (1961)
17: 'Russian Ark' (2002)
16: 'The Fall' (2006)

15. Ran
14. Barry Lyndon

13. The Colour of Pomegranates (1969)
12. The Third Man (1949)
11. The Night of the Hunter (1955)

10. I am Cuba (1964)
9. Days of Heaven (1978)
8. Citizen Kane (1941)
7. Black Narcissus (1947)
6. In the Mood for Love (2000)

5. The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (1962)
4. 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)
3. Persona (1966)
2. Blade Runner’(1982)
1. Metropolis (1927)

ScarletLion 01-28-21 02:35 PM

No. 75:

‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’
Director: Wes Anderson
DoP.: Robert Yeoman

https://i.imgur.com/6QP2iZd.gif

This film is simply gorgeous. A lot is made about Wes Anderson’s choice of framing and symmetry but his inventiveness is also brilliant. He must draw from Directors like Jacques Tati as his humour and quirkiness that he puts into his films are evident. The peach, purples and and pinks in this film standout. Beautiful to look at.

Gideon58 01-28-21 02:54 PM

Love your first choice...most of Wes Anderson's films are gorgeous to look at...looking forward to the rest of your list.

Captain Terror 01-28-21 02:57 PM

Bring on the eye candy! :up:

Holden Pike 01-28-21 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2172111)
So I thought I'd do a thread. Just to keep my mind ticking. I'm going to list what I feel are the 75 best looking films ever made, in terms of a combination of:
colours
So no black and white? Saving those for a separate list?

ScarletLion 01-28-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2172134)
So no black and white? Saving those for a separate list?

They are both colours are they not? ;)

Holden Pike 01-28-21 03:17 PM

Well not technically, but party on. Looking forward to the list.

Sedai 01-28-21 03:46 PM

Excellent idea for a list - looking forward to it!

Citizen Rules 01-28-21 05:05 PM

What a neat idea for a thread! I'm looking forward to it:) And kudos to you for your first choice, The Grand Budapest Hotel, while I didn't love the story itself, the film looked wonderful!

SpelingError 01-28-21 05:39 PM

Good list idea! I'll be following this thread.

And yeah, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a great way to start this list off.

John Dumbear 01-28-21 05:49 PM

Not really a fan of Wes, but his films are pretty.

Sedai 01-28-21 05:49 PM

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a blind spot for me. I have seen every other Anderson flick, but not this one, which seems to be many people's favorite...

hell_storm2004 01-28-21 06:01 PM

All of the top 10 places can be filled with Tarkovsy alone.

Holden Pike 01-28-21 08:12 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman had a lot of fun with, among other things, using different aspect ratios. It goes from two extremes of 2.40:1 widescreen for the framing segments set in the 1960s to something close to the old Academy standard at 1.37:1 for the main story set in the 1930s, with a bit of 1.85:1 for the brief prologue set in the '80s with Tom Wilkinson. There's even a sequence in black and white at the end of the film.

Here is a nice cataloging of the different kinds of shots they employ in one of the opening full widescreen scenes...

Wooley 01-29-21 01:53 AM

Awesome. I'm in.

Insane 01-29-21 03:28 AM

Ozu Yasujiro's An Autumn Afternoon belong somewhere on the list. I'm a huge fan of his work, so its hard to nail it down to one movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHij1r_Q1M&t=719s

hell_storm2004 01-29-21 03:34 AM

I remember watching a video on YouTube by CineFix on the same topic a few months ago.

gandalf26 01-29-21 11:18 AM

Repped even though you called me Vile.

ScarletLion 01-29-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2172431)
Repped even though you called me Vile.
Can't remember why to be honest.

Citizen Rules 01-29-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2172205)
The Grand Budapest Hotel is a blind spot for me. I have seen every other Anderson flick, but not this one, which seems to be many people's favorite...
Watch it!🙂 and post back your thoughts here. Grand Budapest is truly a riot of colors, images and creativity. I'm betting you'd like it.

gandalf26 01-29-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2172434)
Can't remember why to be honest.
Think I said I like Marmite.

ScarletLion 01-29-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 2172473)
Think I said I like Marmite.
Sounds fair.

ScarletLion 01-29-21 02:58 PM

No. 74:

‘Shane' (1953)
Director: George Stevens
DoP.: Loyal Griggs

https://i.imgur.com/eHtKp8V.gif

Loyal Griggs captures the Wyoming scenery very well in Shane. It may not be the best Western ever made but it's certainly one of the best looking. The sparse landscape with mountains and sweeping plains really helps muster up an isolated atmosphere for the viewer while some of the indoor action is just as well filmed.

SpelingError 01-29-21 04:19 PM

I haven't gotten to Shane yet, but that screenshot looks great. Maybe I'll bump it up the queue.

ScarletLion 01-30-21 01:23 PM

No. 73:

'Lost In Translation' (2003)
Director: Sofia Coppola
DoP.: Lance Acord

https://i.imgur.com/fynAygR.gif

Coppola and Acord together manage to capture the city as a character. It melds the into the platonic relationship of the two main characters and just sits there as a backdrop to these lost souls realizing they are lost. It's a really beautiful film that really strikes a chord, and would be nothing without the dreamy bokeh and lovely lights fizzing in and out of the shot.

SpelingError 01-30-21 01:27 PM

Isn't that supposed to be #73?

Wooley 01-30-21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2172640)
No. 74:

‘Shane' (1953)
Director: George Stevens
DoP.: Loyal Griggs

https://i.imgur.com/eHtKp8V.gif

Loyal Griggs captures the Wyoming scenery very well in Shane. It may not be the best Western ever made but it's certainly one of the best looking. The sparse landscape with mountains and sweeping plains really helps muster up an isolated atmosphere for the viewer while some of the indoor action is just as well filmed.
I love Shane. And the last shot is one of the greats for me.

Wooley 01-30-21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2173065)
No. 74:

'Lost In Translation' (2003)
Director: Sofia Coppola
DoP.: Lance Acord

https://i.imgur.com/fynAygR.gif

Coppola and Acord together manage to capture the city as a character. It melds the into the platonic relationship of the two main characters and just sits there as a backdrop to these lost souls realizing they are lost. It's a really beautiful film that really strikes a chord, and would be nothing without the dreamy bokeh and lovely lights fizzing in and out of the shot.
That is a good-looking movie.

ScarletLion 01-30-21 02:56 PM

Maybe at the end of this I'll be able to count properly.

ScarletLion 02-01-21 10:12 AM

No. 72:

‘The Master' (2012)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
DoP.: Mihai Malaimare Jr.

https://i.imgur.com/Ly6Jxff.gif

Mihai Malaimare Jr's photography in The Master is a stunning example of a Paul Thomas Anderson film captured beautifully on 65mm. Lots of blue in the colour palette, depth of field changes and amazing shots of the ocean. The images match the performances, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix at their imperious best. One of those films I personally never get tired of watching clips from.

Sedai 02-01-21 12:12 PM

I am due for a re-watch on Lost in Translation, which I haven't seen since I say it theatrically when it first hit. I've not seen The Master.

As far as Shane is concerned, I own a copy, and I am a big fan of the film. And for the record, Pale Rider, which is sort of a loose adaptation of Shane, is one of the few Eastwood picture I don't care for.

Shane has some great shots, and even though the kid annoys the hell of of some people, I don't mind him.

Captain Spaulding 02-01-21 02:36 PM

Too many English-language films. ;)

ScarletLion 02-01-21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2173948)
Too many English-language films. ;)
You'll see ;)

ScarletLion 02-02-21 01:10 PM

No. 71:

‘The White Ribbon' (2009)
Director: Michael Haneke
DoP.: Christian Berger

https://i.imgur.com/KfyWpMy.gif

Powerful black and white images force the viewer to look at what Haneke is putting infront of us. He's a master at making the audience uncomfortable about the images we are seeing on screen and this is no exception - we are faced with a community where someone is performing spiteful acts on others. Haneke says there is as much evil in us, as there is good. It may or may not be a nod to the rise of the Nazis in Germany, but Christian Berger's photography is stunningly utilized.

ScarletLion 02-03-21 07:49 AM

No. 70:

‘Kill Bill Vol. 1'
Director: Quentin Tarantino
DoP.: Robert Richardson

https://i.imgur.com/UkIGHlJ.gif

Of all of Tarantino's films, Kill Bill Volume 1 looks the most satisfying. Possibly because the photography is so varied, mainly due to the terrific locations used. Volume 2 is only slightly behind but that amazingly captured Beatrix v O-Ren fight in the snow seals it. Also, as usual the pace of the editing in Tarantino's films is stylish and noticeable. Really compliments the direction. A visual treat.

Sedai 02-03-21 10:25 AM

It's been a long time since I watched the Kill Bill films. Probably need to get back to those sometime soon. I remember enjoying them quite a bit back in the day.

Chypmunk 02-03-21 11:10 AM

Some nice choices to start :up:

The Grand Budapest Hotel is visually quite gorgeous, sadly the kid irritates me far too much to enjoy Shane but that's not what this list is about and it's certainly shot nicely. Didn't get through Lost In Translation when we tried to watch it and have never revisited it (I've not seen a Sofia Coppola offering yet that I've really enjoyed tbh) so can't comment on that one, maybe one day I'll give it another try. The Master has some lovely cinematography in it, as does The White Ribbon (I do like me some nice crisp b&w imagery) and although I've not watched either Kill Bill for a number of years (really must give them another outing sometime) I remember them having some lovely use of colours and being pleasant enough on the eye.

Looking forward to seeing what else might pop up.

Wooley 02-03-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2174769)
No. 70:

‘Kill Bill Vol. 1'
Director: Quentin Tarantino
DoP.: Robert Richardson

https://i.imgur.com/UkIGHlJ.gif

Of all of Tarantino's films, Kill Bill Volume 1 looks the most satisfying. Possibly because the photography is so varied, mainly due to the terrific locations used. Volume 2 is only slightly behind but that amazingly captured Beatrix v O-Ren fight in the snow seals it. Also, as usual the pace of the editing in Tarantino's films is stylish and noticeable. Really compliments the direction. A visual treat.

You saw Lady Snowblood?

ScarletLion 02-03-21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2174896)
You saw Lady Snowblood?
Yup. Great film.

https://i.imgur.com/vL34l9i.gif

Wooley 02-03-21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2174903)
I loved it but it kinda made me feel like I never needed to watch Kill Bill again.

ScarletLion 02-03-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2174926)
I loved it but it kinda made me feel like I never needed to watch Kill Bill again.
As with most of Tarantino it borrows heavily. He normally stays on the right side of the homage / steal line. Just about.

Captain Spaulding 02-03-21 06:39 PM

Not a big fan of The Grand Budapest Hotel, or Wes Anderson, in general, as his trademark quirk is too dainty for me, but I can't deny that his compositions are quite gorgeous in a confectionery sorta way. Been meaning to revisit Shane. I liked it, but walked away underwhelmed compared to its reputation as one of the genre's greats. Don't recall being particularly impressed with its aesthetics, but that could easily change with a re-watch since I was focused more on its story. If I made my own version of this list, I'm sure westerns would be well represented -- particularly those featuring the majestic combo of John Ford and Monument Valley.

Haven't seen The White Ribbon. Love The Master and consider it the best-looking film to appear so far in here. Also love Kill Bill Vol. 1 and would probably agree that it's QT's most visually striking film -- especially during the last act with all those stylish backdrops. However, Lady Snowblood has risen up my favorites list faster than any other film I've seen in the last few years, and I now prefer it to Kill Bill. I'm partial to that 70's aesthetic. Rub some blood and spit on it, scratch it up with some dirt. That roughness is more beautiful to me than today's slick polish. I've never given much thought to what I consider the best-looking films, but Lady Snowblood is one of the first to spring to mind. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is another, but something tells me that won't be showing up in here.

Captain Spaulding 02-03-21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2174823)
I've not watched either Kill Bill for a number of years (really must give them another outing sometime) I remember them having some lovely use of colours and being pleasant enough on the eye.
Elle Driver would likely object to that sentiment, if only she could see it.

https://i.imgur.com/WYrtBeF.gif

ScarletLion 02-04-21 09:37 AM

No. 69
'The Spirit of the Beehive' (1973)
Director: Victor Erice
DoP.: Luis Cuadrado

https://i.imgur.com/cFo3Pr2.gif

This film was my introduction to the films of Victor Erice, and I was staggered by how beautiful it is. Luis Cuadrado uses the light to instill this hypnotic, dreamy and at times slightly creepy atmosphere. The girls stumble across trains, barns and soldiers and the film (maybe the family too) is a metaphor for how Spain dealt with the aftermath of the civil war and then Franco's reign. Some critics have even analysed the bees as the workers of Spain trying to re-build the country (maybe that ties in with the title too). The metaphors are rife presumably because a film outright mentioning the Franco regime wouldn't have got released.

The visual metaphors aside it's a stunning film to look at and you can see why film-makers like Guillermo del Toro state it as hugely influential.

Wooley 02-04-21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2174940)
As with most of Tarantino it borrows heavily. He normally stays on the right side of the homage / steal line. Just about.
I agree and I don't have any problem with what he did or does (mostly) but I actually thought Lady Snowblood was the better version of the same movie, more or less.

Wooley 02-04-21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2175024)

Haven't seen The White Ribbon. Love The Master and consider it the best-looking film to appear so far in here. Also love Kill Bill Vol. 1 and would probably agree that it's QT's most visually striking film -- especially during the last act with all those stylish backdrops. However, Lady Snowblood has risen up my favorites list faster than any other film I've seen in the last few years, and I now prefer it to Kill Bill. I'm partial to that 70's aesthetic. Rub some blood and spit on it, scratch it up with some dirt. That roughness is more beautiful to me than today's slick polish. I've never given much thought to what I consider the best-looking films, but Lady Snowblood is one of the first to spring to mind. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is another, but something tells me that won't be showing up in here.
Agreed.
Cap, you been here this whole time?

Captain Spaulding 02-04-21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2175270)
Agreed.
Cap, you been here this whole time?
If you mean Movie Forums, I've been a member for almost seven years. If you're referring to your attic, I've only been up here for a couple days. I've been trying to keep quiet while rummaging through your stuff. You've got a really nice house, btw. Oh, and we're out of milk. ;)

ScarletLion 02-05-21 01:48 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of action / martial arts films, so for this film to stick in my mind as one of the best looking, it must have made an impression. The colour composition is out of this world. Chris Doyle's mind must have been in overdrive as it just looks jaw dropping. He must have large scale help from the set designers and fight choreographers (and of course the director) to make it all come together but still, it looks pretty amazing.

Sedai 02-05-21 01:53 PM

Big fan of Hero. Saw it multiple times theatrically, and I tend to revisit it from time to time.

SpelingError 02-05-21 01:53 PM

That one has been on my watchlist for some time.

Gideon58 02-05-21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2172709)
I haven't gotten to Shane yet, but that screenshot looks great. Maybe I'll bump it up the queue.

I must confess I've never seen Shane either.

Wooley 02-05-21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2175337)
If you mean Movie Forums, I've been a member for almost seven years. If you're referring to your attic, I've only been up here for a couple days. I've been trying to keep quiet while rummaging through your stuff. You've got a really nice house, btw. Oh, and we're out of milk. ;)
Hahahaha! Thanks for that, I've been in a bad mood and I needed a laugh.
And you got legs, feel free to get us some more milk.

the samoan lawyer 02-08-21 08:44 AM

Only finding this thread now SL. Brilliant so far. Looking forward to seeing when Ciro Guerra makes an appearance.

ScarletLion 02-09-21 09:22 AM

No. 67
'Let the Right One In' (2008)
Director: Tomas Alfredson
DoP.: Hoyte Van Hoytema

https://i.imgur.com/gA0fD9K.gif

I'm a big fan of Hoyte van Hoytema's work. He's one of the best DoPs working today. This is his 2nd entry on the list and other credits include Tenet, Interstellar, Ad Astra, Spectre and The Fighter. What I like about his photography is the way he captures intamacy. The close up shots reveal such a human side to them that he helps the director get the audience in that particular moment.

The shot on the bottom right here ^ could have been just another shot. But it's not, because we're placed into the mind of the young boy Oskar, due to the camera being at the water level and Oskar's eyes looking behind us. It's a perfect shot because it makes us involved, it draws us into Oskar looking up at the character behind us. But not only that, we then switch to a view of the character he's seeing, but it's out of focus, to represent the water in Oskar's eyes. Then there's a focus pull to get her in focus. Then we switch back to Oskar and another focus pull on to his eyes. And then the sweetest of smiles and she smiles back. They're both fully focused on each other. They've found each other's soul mate - right at that point, director and DoP have told us so much all in the space of about 15 seconds.

All that beauty with a human head floating towards the bottom of the pool in the background. It's an incredible scene.

I get goosebumps every single time I watch it. Here it is in all it's glory:

Sedai 02-09-21 10:07 AM

Excellent choice! I have seen this wonderful film several times, and it hypnotizes me every time. I just re-watched the pool scene using your link and it brought me right back into the vibe of the film almost instantly.

Wooley 02-09-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2176709)
No. 67
'Let the Right One In' (2008)
Director: Tomas Alfredson
DoP.: Hoyte Van Hoytema

https://i.imgur.com/gA0fD9K.gif

I'm a big fan of Hoyte van Hoytema's work. He's one of the best DoPs working today. This is his 2nd entry on the list and other credits include Tenet, Interstellar, Ad Astra, Spectre and The Fighter. What I like about his photography is the way he captures intamacy. The close up shots reveal such a human side to them that he helps the director get the audience in that particular moment.

The shot on the bottom right here ^ could have been just another shot. But it's not, because we're placed into the mind of the young boy Oskar, due to the camera being at the water level and Oskar's eyes looking behind us. It's a perfect shot because it makes us involved, it draws us into Oskar looking up at the character behind us. But not only that, we then switch to a view of the character he's seeing, but it's out of focus, to represent the water in Oskar's eyes. Then there's a focus pull to get her in focus. Then we switch back to Oskar and another focus pull on to his eyes. And then the sweetest of smiles and she smiles back. They're both fully focused on each other. They've found each other's soul mate - right at that point, director and DoP have told us so much all in the space of about 15 seconds.

All that beauty with a human head floating towards the bottom of the pool in the background. It's an incredible scene.

I get goosebumps every single time I watch it. Here it is in all it's glory:
Great one.
It also appears van Hoytema did Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, not only one of my favorite movies, but one of my favorite cinematographic outings. I think it looks truly perfect for the film that it is.

ScarletLion 02-09-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2176719)
Excellent choice! I have seen this wonderful film several times, and it hypnotizes me every time. I just re-watched the pool scene using your link and it brought me right back into the vibe of the film almost instantly.
Great isn't it. The mixture of tenderness and horror is I expect difficult to nail properly, but director and DoP did it in this film.

Captain Terror 02-09-21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2176738)
Great one.
It also appears van Hoytema did Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, not only one of my favorite movies, but one of my favorite cinematographic outings. I think it looks truly perfect for the film that it is.
fun story:

About 15 years ago I sold a Meters LP on EBay to a guy in Sweden named Hoyte van Hoytema. Let the Right One In came out shortly after, so when I saw the name in the credits it rung a bell. I went back through my sales and found it, and went snooping through his feedback page and all of his other purchases were from camera supply stores. So maybe that's a common name over there, but I've convinced myself I sold to the DP. (I think he bought Fire on the Bayou)

And to stay on topic, he's also done Dunkirk, Ad Astra and Interstellar. Not too shabby.

Wooley 02-09-21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2176792)
fun story:

About 15 years ago I sold a Meters LP on EBay to a guy in Sweden named Hoyte van Hoytema. Let the Right One In came out shortly after, so when I saw the name in the credits it rung a bell. I went back through my sales and found it, and went snooping through his feedback page and all of his other purchases were from camera supply stores. So maybe that's a common name over there, but I've convinced myself I sold to the DP. (I think he bought Fire on the Bayou)

And to stay on topic, he's also done Dunkirk, Ad Astra and Interstellar. Not too shabby.
Dude, that's awesome.
I mean, I would never sell any of my Meters LPs, but otherwise, good story.

ScarletLion 02-10-21 10:33 AM

No. 66
'La Haine' (1995)
Director: Mathieu Kassovitz
DoP.: Pierre Aïm

https://i.imgur.com/19DxOrh.gif

Some of the images in La Haine are just unforgettable. The fast moving camera zooms, dolly zooms, trickery and character placement are just top notch. La Haine is a powerful social commentary film but also remains one of Pierre Aim's major accomplishments as a cinematographer.

This scene in particular will always remain one of the best recent examples of innovation. It may have been done before, but this is so slick. The Director understandably didn't want the cameraman and camera visible in the mirror - so they just used a body double in the foreground to mimic Vincent Cassel's movements:

Torgo 02-10-21 10:56 AM

Good choice. One of my favorite movies. While it has split diopters, pan and scans and all of the other techniques you mentioned, they're all used meaningfully instead of coming across like style over substance.

I also really like this shot. It says it all without requiring any dialogue:

https://i.imgur.com/HwDOa2E.jpeg

Oh, and as intense as the Russian roulette scenes are in The Deer Hunter, the one in this movie may have them all beat.

ScarletLion 02-11-21 09:36 AM

No. 65
'Birdman' (2014)
Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu
DoP.: Emmanuel Lubezki

https://i.imgur.com/Y7STSFk.gif

Lubezki's long takes and use of light and colour in this film are a treat. The weaving of the camera through buildings onto stages and up stairs almost makes the viewer dizzy.

The film would be pretty much nothing without a good DoP and some of the set design is also very imaginative.

ironpony 02-11-21 04:35 PM

I couldn't help but notice that Cruising (1980) has really nice cinematography.

Chypmunk 02-11-21 05:10 PM

Never seen either The Spirit of the Beehive or Birdman but Hero, Let the Right One In and La Haine are certainly all good choices for a list such as this :up:

Wooley 02-11-21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2177356)
No. 65
'Birdman' (2014)
Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu
DoP.: Emmanuel Lubezki

https://i.imgur.com/Y7STSFk.gif

Lubezki's long takes and use of light and colour in this film are a treat. The weaving of the camera through buildings onto stages and up stairs almost makes the viewer dizzy.

The film would be pretty much nothing without a good DoP and some of the set design is also very imaginative.
God yes. That movie was... really something. I must disagree on your last point though, I found the film incredibly moving and thematically rich. Just exactly the kind of film I wish was made all the time.

aronisred 02-12-21 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2176792)
fun story:

and the fighter

ScarletLion 02-12-21 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2177585)
God yes. That movie was... really something. I must disagree on your last point though, I found the film incredibly moving and thematically rich. Just exactly the kind of film I wish was made all the time.
I can't imagine it having near the same effect though, with out the sometimes claustrophobic cinematography.

ScarletLion 02-12-21 11:19 AM

No. 64
'Limite' (1931)
Director: Mario Peixoto
DoP.: Edgar Brasil

https://i.imgur.com/uG9vU2T.gif

I saw this film recently and was struck by the incredibly powerful images. Many people dislike the phrase 'ahead of it's time' when dissecting a film, as it does an injustice to the films of the era, but my knowledge of 1930s cinema isn't huge so it really does stand out as being quite advanced and influential. Limite is the only feature by the Brazilian director and author Mário Peixoto, made when he was just 22 years old, and apparently Orson Welles demanded a screening of it when he was in South America making a film that never got finished, such was Limite's cult like status.

It's 90 years old and some of the shots still look gorgeous. The shot on the bottom left here ^ wouldn't look out of place in some modern neo-noir film such as Sin City.

Peixote was inspired to make this film after he saw a picture on a magazine over. It's the story of a man and 2 women recalling their past (told in flashbacks) while they are lost at sea in a small boat. Brilliant use of light, shadows and focus. There appear to be some scenes in the film that have had the original negative reversed to give it that mysterious atmosphere:

The film is on Youtube in full, or you can see some selected scenes here:

Wooley 02-12-21 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2177675)
I can't imagine it having near the same effect though, with out the sometimes claustrophobic cinematography.
Oh, I agree the cinematography is a big part of it but I don't think the movie is just the cinematography.

Sedai 02-15-21 10:39 AM

Birdman is fantastic. I tend to think El Chivo is the best guy working today on camera, closely followed by Deakins.

ScarletLion 02-15-21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2178351)
Birdman is fantastic. I tend to think El Chivo is the best guy working today on camera, closely followed by Deakins.
Chivo is special. His filming of the natural beauty of the planet and it's surroundings is amazing.

the samoan lawyer 02-15-21 10:43 AM

Great list, as expected. Looking forward to watching Limite

Captain Terror 02-15-21 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2177700)
No. 64
'Limite' (1931)
Director: Mario Peixoto
DoP.: Edgar Brasil
Nice, this looks right up my alley. Watchlisted!

ScarletLion 02-16-21 06:53 AM

No. 63
'Once Upon a Time in the West' (1968)
Director: Sergio Leone
DoP.: Tonino Delli Colli

Leone's Westerns are legendary and you can see why when watching this classic. The facial zooms, shots of the West (and Spain early on in the film) crane shots, angles and so on just make the film that bit more cool.

It's exceptionally stylish and Leone loved to think on his feet - that comes through in the film. There is one shot where a gunman drinks water from his hat that is dripping down from a leaky roof. Leone just had him do it on the spot.

I'm not sure if it's my favourite Western (it's easily in the top 10) but it has to be one of the best shot.

MovieMeditation 02-16-21 07:11 AM

Not seen them all, but those I haven't all pretty much look very fascinating. Most I also already have on my watchlist. :up:

75. The Grand Budapest Hotel // in many ways, for better and for worse, the ultimate Wes Anderson movie. Now, I love the movie, but it also seems to push his style to the absolute breaking point and seeing that his next movie still seems to do the same thing, I'm wondering if he should perhaps reinvent himself a bit now. But nevertheless, Budapest was a beautiful, creative and imaginative piece of work.

73. Lost In Translation // beautiful film in more than one way. But the visual style is certainly a big player in adding to the feel of the film. So the visuals are a very important element to the film for sure...

72. The Master // love, love, love this one and PTA in general. And having both Phoenix and Hoffman is almost too good to be true. I love the look of the film. Captures the time of which the film takes place perfectly.

70. Kill Bill Vol.1 // QT's films are usually very fun on the visuals. And KB: Vol. 1 is probably his most bombastic and stylistic. Lots of fun visuals in here, very well made.

68. Hero // wasn't big on the movie, but the visuals no one can deny. Beautiful.

67. Let the Right One in // loved the film, but don't remember the visuals to blow me away. But if it helps tell the story right, it's of course just as great. It's been very long, so that's probably why.

65. Birdman // there is other works by Lubezki I love more, but there's no doubt that this movie demands a great DP. And it works perfectly for the film with how they approached this story visually.

63. Once Upon a Time in the West // clearly Leone's attempt to make his Magnum Opus. Big, grand and a lot of focus on the aesthetics. Definitely a very, very beautiful film.

ScarletLion 02-16-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2178640)
Not seen them all, but those I haven't all pretty much look very fascinating. Most I also already have on my watchlist. :up:

75. The Grand Budapest Hotel // in many ways, for better and for worse, the ultimate Wes Anderson movie. Now, I love the movie, but it also seems to push his style to the absolute breaking point and seeing that his next movie still seems to do the same thing, I'm wondering if he should perhaps reinvent himself a bit now. But nevertheless, Budapest was a beautiful, creative and imaginative piece of work.

73. Lost In Translation // beautiful film in more than one way. But the visual style is certainly a big player in adding to the feel of the film. So the visuals are a very important element to the film for sure...

72. The Master // love, love, love this one and PTA in general. And having both Phoenix and Hoffman is almost too good to be true. I love the look of the film. Captures the time of which the film takes place perfectly.

70. Kill Bill Vol.1 // QT's films are usually very fun on the visuals. And KB: Vol. 1 is probably his most bombastic and stylistic. Lots of fun visuals in here, very well made.

68. Hero // wasn't big on the movie, but the visuals no one can deny. Beautiful.

67. Let the Right One in // loved the film, but don't remember the visuals to blow me away. But if it helps tell the story right, it's of course just as great. It's been very long, so that's probably why.

65. Birdman // there is other works by Lubezki I love more, but there's no doubt that this movie demands a great DP. And it works perfectly for the film with how they approached this story visually.

63. Once Upon a Time in the West // clearly Leone's attempt to make his Magnum Opus. Big, grand and a lot of focus on the aesthetics. Definitely a very, very beautiful film.
Good stuff. Totally agree about Lost in Translation and how the visuals compliment the film.

ScarletLion 02-17-21 10:11 AM

No. 62
'The Double Life of Véronique' (1991)
Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski
DoP.: Slawomir Idziak

https://i.imgur.com/x9b5Ep2.gif

Slawomir Idziak's green colour palette in this film is unforgettable. Presumably the use of lighting and camera lenses is used to make the sky green or a window green or someone's face a certain shade of green. It's remarkable. At one point there's a little beam of light appears in frame as if representing something in the living world.

Kieslowski's film is as spiritual and dreamlike as it is lovely to look at. The beautiful Irene Jacob plays the part so well as we explore themes of duality, existentialism and self reflection (how many window shots??)

The Three Colours Trilogy will probably be what Kieslowski is best remembered for, but I like to think of this as his 4th Colour film. The green one.

Sedai 02-17-21 10:35 AM

I have never even heard of this Kieslowski film! I own the three colors trilogy, but I must get around to watching this soon. Thanks for the heads up about this one.

ScarletLion 02-17-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2178959)
I have never even heard of this Kieslowski film! I own the three colors trilogy, but I must get around to watching this soon. Thanks for the heads up about this one.
Kielsowski was on a different planet. Unreal film-maker. Did you know in one scene of Three Colours Blue, we see "blanco" (Spanish for white) on a box. In the next shot, a man in blue passes Julie on her left, and a woman in red passes her on her right - referencing the' Three Colours' trilogy - blue, white, red.

So many hidden things in his films

https://i.imgur.com/bFDp4ZK.gif

Sedai 02-17-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2178964)
Kielsowski was on a different planet. Unreal film-maker. Did you know in one scene of Three Colours Blue, we see "blanco" (Spanish for white) on a box. In the next shot, a man in blue passes Julie on her left, and a woman in red passes her on her right - referencing the' Three Colours' trilogy - blue, white, red.

So many hidden things in his films

https://i.imgur.com/bFDp4ZK.gif
Oh wow... I never noticed that! It's been years since I watched that trilogy. Really cool stuff.

Wooley 02-17-21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2178954)
No. 62
'The Double Life of Véronique' (1991)
Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski
DoP.: Slawomir Idziak

https://i.imgur.com/x9b5Ep2.gif

Slawomir Idziak's green colour palette in this film is unforgettable. Presumably the use of lighting and camera lenses is used to make the sky green or a window green or someone's face a certain shade of green. It's remarkable. At one point there's a little beam of light appears in frame as if representing something in the living world.

Kieslowski's film is as spiritual and dreamlike as it is lovely to look at. The beautiful Irene Jacob plays the part so well as we explore themes of duality, existentialism and self reflection (how many window shots??)

The Three Colours Trilogy will probably be what Kieslowski is best remembered for, but I like to think of this as his 4th Colour film. The green one.

YES!!!
To me, one of the most visually striking "real world" films I've ever seen.
I fell in love with Kieslowski (and Irene Jacob, I can tell you that) instantly.

ScarletLion 02-18-21 08:34 AM

No. 61
'City of God' (2002)
Directed by Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund
DoP.: César Charlone

https://i.imgur.com/ywEcjFm.gif

With the slums of Rio de Janeiro acting as a backdrop to all the grimy, seedy criminal activity, City of God breathed a sort of new life into international cinema when it burst onto the scene in the early 2000s. César Charlone's photography is quite brilliant, from the depth of focus shots that have guns pointed right in the viewers face to the beautiful shots of sunset covered beaches. The beauty of it acts as a leveller to the tragedy of the film's narrative.

The film's world also has a TV series and a further sequel, which I've yet to see - but I can't imagine they're as beautifully shot as 'Cidade de Deus'.

StuSmallz 02-18-21 11:00 PM

Great movie with an amazing visual style; good pick!

ScarletLion 02-22-21 08:41 AM

No. 60
'Let the Corpses Tan' (2017)
Directed by Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani
DoP.: Manuel Dacosse

Dacosse's style in this film is glorious. It borrows heavily from films like Le Samourai and maybe Tarantino but also offers a real life of it's own. Close ups, use of colour, and clever camerawork are utilised to really ramp up both the tension and the violence. The last half hour of the film doesn't match up to the first hour or so, but the visuals are there throughout. It's a real feast for the eyes.

Watch the trailer for some idea of the style, although there may be slight spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7xB9CMkks

Captain Terror 02-22-21 09:34 AM

:up::up::up::up:

That's the stuff. Hoping to see more Cattet/Forzani on the list. I'm 100% on board with everything they've done.

Sedai 02-22-21 09:41 AM

Never heard of Let the Corpses Tan, but I see it is available to stream on Prime. Will add to my queue!

Mr Minio 02-22-21 09:43 AM

Let the Corpses Tan was good but nevertheless a slight disappointment. Not as good as the first two Belgian duo's gialli.

ScarletLion 02-25-21 12:11 PM

No.59
'Only God Forgives' (2013)
Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
DoP.: Larry Smith

https://i.imgur.com/udEA2DC.gif

Only God Forgives is not Refn's best film. It may actually be his least best. But it is the best looking. The pinks, purples, neons and lights are just dazzling. He's not the first to use them but when he does, he does it very well. With Larry Smith as DoP, Only God Forgives shines as a beautiful looking piece of moody, mysterious neo noir, and although it's unlikely to be a film that many will love, it's on this list because it looks so good.

ScarletLion 02-26-21 10:02 AM

No. 58
'The Innocents' (1961)
Directed by Jack Clayton
DoP.: Freddie Francis

https://i.imgur.com/LndwOYO.gif

The lighting. The shadows! This is a stunning looking film, which I only got round to recently, but was just amazed at how pretty it looked. I'd like to think that Freddie Francis' work on this film inspired the likes of Sven Nykvist, because that type of shot on the top right ^ is done very well in Ingmar Bergman's films.

The creepyness was also exacerbated by Francis' work - the bottom left shot there ^ is impeccable. Long shadows, bright lights lighting up the two characters on the ground, then a dark hand with lit fingers appears on screen - while all in focus. Absolutely amazing. This horror film wouldn't look out of place released in 2021.

Captain Terror 02-26-21 10:21 AM

I grew up watching The Innocents with my mom when we wanted to watch something "spooky". It was a great surprise when I rewatched it as a young adult and found that it was a legitimately great film, and an especially great-looking film. Freddie Francis is the man.

AgrippinaX 02-26-21 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2182016)
I grew up watching The Innocents with my mom when we wanted to watch something "spooky". It was a great surprise when I rewatched it as a young adult and found that it was a legitimately great film, and an especially great-looking film. Freddie Francis is the man.
It is gorgeous. I suppose we’re more used to ‘extreme’ horror nowadays, but I find ‘The Innocents’ pretty spooky even now. Deborah Kerr is a legend.

ScarletLion 02-26-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2182021)
It is gorgeous. I suppose we’re more used to ‘extreme’ horror nowadays, but I find ‘The Innocents’ pretty spooky even now. Deborah Kerr is a legend.
Kerr was so good in this. Some scenes genuinely scared me. Which alot of horror films made before the 70s don't really do.

Captain Terror 02-26-21 10:49 AM

https://i1.wp.com/mookseandgripes.co...00%2C506&ssl=1

https://i2.wp.com/mookseandgripes.co...00%2C506&ssl=1

In fact I often forget that it was directed by Jack Clayton, because I just think of it as a Freddie Francis movie.

ironpony 02-26-21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2172111)

photography
camerawork
colours
framing
blocking
shot composition
mise-en-scène.

There will surely be a few that won't make the list that deserve to, but I haven't seen 'all the films' so go gentle.

I'm going to do a film every day or few days perhaps, post a gif or two and say a few words about why I think it looks great. Discussion is enthusiastically encouraged.

In all there will be 75 films, with some honourable mentions that didn't make the cut along the way too. Hope you like it. So, here's:

Scarletlion's 75 best looking films of all time thread

https://i.imgur.com/u3hXTM6.gif
I was wondering which two movies are the photos on the right side?

ScarletLion 02-26-21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2182034)
I was wondering which two movies are the photos on the right side?
Top right - Suspiria
Bottom right - The Master

Jinnistan 02-26-21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2178954)

I wish we could squeeze one of the Grazyna Szapolowska ones in there. Maybe A Short Film About Love could be the yellow one.

Dobb 02-27-21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2172138)
They are both colours are they not? ;)
#63 Once Upon a Time in The West. I place much higher on the list. I'd also include at least one of Sergio Leone's Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. I'm a big fan of realism as far as showing the distasteful but real. Crude gunslingers eating noises, a bit of food or sauce dripping down the side of their mouths, flies buzzing about, landing and on their faces and body. Then the realism of nature, dust and mud on faces and clothes.

Oh, and about that black and white thing. Considering the natural spectrum, you're 1/2 correct. White is the combination of all color. Black is the absence of color.
But I digress...great thread!

Chypmunk 02-28-21 04:54 AM

Catch-up time before the "haven't seen thats" outweigh the ones I have seen and I look silly ;)

Watched Limite the other day (thanks for providing info that it was on YT), it does have some nice cinematography dotted throughout but can't say I was enamoured of the whole. He certainly seemed to have a penchant for lower legs, wonder if Tarantino is in any way related :D Haven't seen The Double Life of Véronique, Let the Corpses Tan or Only God Forgives, do own the first though and loved his Colours trilogy so will definitely pop that one on as prep for the upcoming countdown. Don't know much about the latter two (I prefer to go into fillums almost blind so it's not unusual for me to know next to nothing about them prior to watching lol) but if I get the chance I'll try and give them a squint as well. Once Upon a Time in the West, City of God and The Innocents I have seen though as I own all three and all are more than worthy of a place in this list, plenty of striking imagery in all three.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next....

ScarletLion 03-02-21 10:57 AM

No.57
'Nosferatu' (1922)
Directed by F.W. Murnau
DoP.: Fritz Arno Wagner

https://i.imgur.com/KrLSnI8.gif

FW Murnau famously just changed the names of the characters for this film because Bram Stoker's family wouldn't allow him to use the story of Dracula. The result is a stupendously brilliant horror film which is still strikingly chilling today. Most of the creepyness is down to Max Schreck's portrayal of Count Orlok (long teeth and fingers), but the reason this film is in the list is due to the inventiveness of the photography.

As you can see from the shots above, the examples of nature used to symbolise killing, the shadows and the use of different tints to convey moods and different times of the day. The audience must have been terrified in 1922 and mystified as to how the Count disappeared infront of their very eyes (bottom right shot). Beautifully shot film.