Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Point Break (2015) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44028)

ShadowMatt 12-30-15 07:12 PM

Point Break (2015)

3 Attachment(s)
Summary
In a world where most special effects are CGI, the film-makers made a special effort to do the stunts "for real." Too bad that does very little for the quality of the movie.

Was it any good?
Yes, but the characters seemed one-dimensional, and the dangerous stunts seemed unnecessary. And the plot was predictable.

Who was in it?
Édgar Ramírez, Luke Bracey, and Ray Winstone

Should I see it on the big screen or should I wait to rent it?
Wait to rent it.

Should I see it one of the premium formats?
Absolutely not. It might be pretty on an IMAX or 3D screen, but the movie isn't worth the extra money.

Review
Yes, this is the remake of 1991's Point Break starring Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves. I won't hold that against this film. I tried to go in cold and without expectations.

The characters slipped into type-casts right away. It was like the movie was starring old actors from the original. Because of this, you can guess the motivations and responses from each character. Is this another episode of CSI?

The director made a big effort to actually perform the stunts you see on screen. That's a great goal, but it probably delayed production, was
very dangerous, and did nothing for the film. In fact, it probably did the film a disservice. With a CGI special effect, you can place the camera in impossible positions and tweak the stunt for maximum clarity and excitement. Here, if I hadn't told you the stunts were real, would you have known or cared?

The movie is full of epic, beautiful scenes. These are parts of the world you will probably never see and stunts that are near-fatal. It was incredible to look at. I'm glad I saw the 2D version. The 3D version might have made me sick. Unfortunately, a pretty picture does not carry the whole movie.

So, if your goal is to see a pretty movie, this is a "go." If you want to see a meaningful movie, this is a "pass."

Is it family safe?
Language is light. One joint is thrown away, and one joint is deeply inhaled (Maybe he didn't actually inhale). There is no nudity, but two characters are shown having sex (they are unmarried). There is much death-defying action throughout.

PG-13 | 1h 54min | Action, Crime, Sport | 25 December 2015 (USA)

ashdoc 01-03-16 03:27 PM

Re: Point Break (2015)

Point Break ( 2015 )

http://cdn1-www.comingsoon.net/asset...reakheader.jpg

Point break could have well been called point less . Because in the end you feel the whole movie to be that . But that is at the end . While the movie is going on you do get a little bit of fun . That is if you are in my position .

And what is my position ?? I am sitting in a 4DX theatre watching the movie unfold with 3D glasses . In a 4DX theatre ( it was my first outing in such a theatre ) the watching experience is a bit interactive . The seat responds to the happenings in the movie . For example , it one person is hitting blows to another person then the seat gives you sharp jolts . If he is riding a vehicle on a rough boulder strewn path giving exciting chase to another vehicle ramming it again and again , then the jolts your seat gives you get harder . On the other hand if the actor is surfing a wave , then the seat sways slowly forward and backward . If he is jumping off from a cliff , then the seat gently inclines forward . When the waves hit the actor or he completes the jump from the cliff falling into the snow , a blast of cool air is fired from the front giving some idea of how the person in the movie must be feeling . On the other hand when a beautiful woman entwines her arms around a handsome guy's neck to kiss him and remove his clothes and start making love , then the seat is still and nothing happens !! Why no interactive experience at that moment ?? Maybe I was not handsome enough...

The movie seems to have been tailormade for 4DX theaters and 3D experiences . For it's main theme is to show super stunts done with breathtaking photography . Surfing giant waves , skiing from super high altitude mountains , gliding from snowy peaks to the ground , climbing waterfalls with bare hands and feet , parachuting over cities---it has it all . The photography is simply stunning and looks even better on 3D . A giant wave rolling over a surfer , the surfer drowning to the bottom of the ocean---all has been filmed brilliantly . Even better is the sight of the waters of Angel falls of Venezuela ( the highest waterfall in the world ) gushing on the side of the climbers in the full glory of 3D . The gliding from high altitude peaks among snowy mountains , the skiing from lofty peaks---all looks superb .

But what is the point in doing all these stunts ? The lead actor ( played by Luke Bracey ) is a wannabe FBI agent who is assigned the task of looking into the activities of a group of people doing these hyper stunts , and joins them to discover a bizarre cult . They are honouring the ideals of Ono Osaki , an eco warrior who challenged the extreme sports world to do eight ordeals which honour the forces of nature . The eight ordeals are known as Osaki 8 . However I could not understand the point in honouring this eco warrior , especially because it involves doing things that classify the cult's members as lawless and also puts the lives of the cult's members in danger . In fact would not be wrong to call it a death cult , considering the fate of many of it's members .

As things move , one wonders if the lead actor is also feeling sympathy for the cult and it's leader ( played by Edgar Ramirez ) and is on the point of not doing the job that the FBI has given him . Especially because a delectable woman ( played by Teresa Palmer ) from the cult has planted kisses on him after entwining her arms around him and made passionate love to him . But who cares ? The ending makes the whole movie sound pointless...

What would be pointful would be 4DX theatres equipped with technology to make seats respond when women give passionate embraces to men ; the experience will come to full flower when one could feel feminine sighs and moans while a love making scene is going on , with 3D making her lips reach from the screen to you....

Verdict---Not good .