Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Actually scary horror movies..? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38922)

vesaninja 02-21-15 12:08 PM

Actually scary horror movies..?

Hi

So yeah, I'm looking for a really scary horror movie. At first I thought it would be a pretty easy job as I haven't seen a lot of classics or the newer ones to that matter, but soon I realized that simple googling is not enough.
Most of the top horror movie lists were either full of movies that aren't even horror (gore=/= scary). Or they included classics that are good films, but are not really that scary either . (For example I do not find shining scary at all. It has good scenes and it's a good thriller, but it's not scary)

So what would be your to pick(s) for the scariest horror movie of all time. If you do not count nostalgia factor and know that jump scares are more annoying then scary.
(It doesn't even have to be a good movie if it makes you want to turn the lights on and cuddle with your teddy bear.)

Ps. I'm still learning English so sorry for possible errors.

DC Ambrose 02-21-15 12:12 PM

Re: Actually scary horror movies..?

Poltergeist (1982)

The Rodent 02-21-15 12:19 PM

Wolf Creek

Agree with Poltergeist ^

The Exorcist

The Thing (1982)

Night Of The Living Dead

The Rodent 02-21-15 12:27 PM

Ooh!!

The Shining
The Descent
Creep

Optimus 02-21-15 12:39 PM

A Nightmare On Elm Street (Original)
The Texas Chainsaw Masacre (Original)
The Omen (Original)
Candy Man

I also find Silence Of The Lambs very scary.

Arcanis 02-21-15 01:47 PM

Sinister is the first thing to pop into my head for this criteria. I showed it to a horror-loving friend of mine a while back and it scared her so much that we had to chase it with something happy and light (in our case, Megamind). She still had horrific nightmares for weeks and swore off horor for the better part of a year (for reference, The Shining is one of her favorite movies). Another friend basically watched it on a continuous loop for over a year after ai showed it to her (on her phone while at work / driving, on tv while at home, consistantly averaging about twice a day). It is an incredibly well-shot, well directed, well written and well acted movie, knowing full well how long to hold a tense moment and when to release it.

Quarantine is another that I've had a lot of luck with in the past. My now-girlfriend was watching it with me in my room while I was woeking as an RA. She was mostly fine until the very end, when she screemed bloody murder in a sustained, raised voice until I was forced to clamp my hand down over her mouth to silence her. To this day, I can only imagine what it must have been like from the other side of things: your RA brings a girl to his room, wome hours later there's a sudden, blood curdling scream that is just as suddenly silenced. I think that it helped more with discipline than anything else I ever did with them. And, like my one friend with Sinister, we chased it with a "happy" movie (this time the far less awesome House Bunny).

While I don't have an epic story to pair with it, The Exorcist is without a doubt one of the most viscerally frightening things that I've ever seen.

The Rodent 02-21-15 01:49 PM

The Mist

Derek Vinyard 02-21-15 02:00 PM

Sinister (2012) - Scott Derrickson
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/sti...r-poster02.jpg

Highly Recommended

Hit Girl 02-21-15 09:14 PM

The Disappeared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sULTXhJla8

90sAce 02-21-15 09:20 PM

I'm kind of numbed to horror flicks which don't have a lot of graphic violence; after watching the more violent ones like Saw and Hostel the others seem tame in comparison.

Of the two I'd say Hostel is scarier in a suspenseful way - there isn't as much graphic violence on screen but it's more believable and the build-up is better; the violence in the Saw films is probably the most graphic as far as mainstream horror flicks go, but it's more outlandish, and leans more toward shock value that psychological horror, especially starting with movie 3 and onward.

cricket 02-21-15 09:50 PM

I can only speak to what scared me when I was younger-

The Exorcist
The Omen (original)
The Sentinel
Burnt Offerings

Camo 02-21-15 09:53 PM

The only movies that ever truly scared me were The Exorcist, Poltergeist 2 and Pinnochio all when I was very young.

Sexy Celebrity 02-21-15 09:54 PM

It all depends on what personally scares you for whatever reason. Many of the films listed above don't scare me at all and couldn't even try. They might be great movies, but they can't scare me. When you find something scary, you know it.

For me, it's not so much that something scares me -- it just... bothers me.

90sAce 02-21-15 10:55 PM

This was actually more disturbing when I was young than a lot of actual horror films are today:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...640_SY720_.jpg

Nostromo87 02-21-15 11:31 PM

before even seeing any of the movies, i thought Freddy Krueger was scary. i wrote a short story mentioning him for a class. But then when i watched original Freddy for the first time, it wasn't scary, it was fun and style and atmosphere and great music and Heather Langenkamp

the only thing i can think of movie-wise that really scared me was the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when i was 8 years old. I was sick over thanksgiving and thought i was watching a fun little family film and was introduced to a pedophile child kidnapper who lured children in with free candy

https://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/u...ld-catcher.jpg

didn't watch it again til i was like 23 years old, and with a baseball bat in my hand. then i was surprised to see the child catcher only had like 12 minutes screentime. Still wanted to bash his face in with a baseballl bat

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/10/618x475/mo...-bang-bang.jpg

Blastphamy 02-22-15 04:44 AM

The Exorcist, definitely.

Blastphamy 02-22-15 06:01 AM

For recent times, I found The Strangers to be bone chilling and unpredictable.

vesaninja 02-22-15 05:24 PM

I will have to check all of them on my holidays. The only one of these that I have seen is the sinister (Which is the scariest movie I have seen), so I will have a lot of things to do.
I'm going to start with Exorcist, because I remember trying to watch it when I was a kid, but I got scared during the opening credits and I haven't tried again since.

Primarily Critical 02-25-15 01:27 AM

Please keep in mind, I will never see this movie. I have no desire to see it. From what I hear it is messed up beyond anything that anyone would enjoy. But if your looking for scary....

Try....

Human centipede

Camo 02-25-15 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Primarily Critical (Post 1261214)
Please keep in mind, I will never see this movie. I have no desire to see it. From what I hear it is messed up beyond anything that anyone would enjoy. But if your looking for scary....

Try....

Human centipede
Human Centipede isn't scary imo, it's just discusting. There's a difference imo between movies that scare you, and movies that make you want to look away because it makes you feel sick. For instance Freddie Got Fingered is discusting, i felt like passing out at the scene he was lickiing the leg bone, even though it wasn't convincing in the slightesr i have a thing about broken bones, ever since i saw my sister break her leg when i was a kid. Doesn't mean it's scary (maybe quality wise :p ), just like someones mouth being surgically connected to someones a-hole is more revolting; than scary.