Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mystic River (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=5443)

Muzzy 09-28-03 10:03 PM

Mystic River

Starring: Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Tim Robbins, Laurence Fishbourne, and Laura Linney

The movie is directed by Clint Eastwood. It's about a guy who's daughter is found murdered, and an investigation starts which uncovers alot of secrets and such. Judging by the previews this looks to be a pretty interesting film. Looks like a very well acted movie too.

Ezikiel 09-28-03 10:10 PM

Its looks like an ok movie, not a movie I wanna see in theaters though, I'll probably just wait for the video release or something

Holden Pike 09-28-03 11:18 PM

I'm gonna see it in the theatre. In fact, I'm gonna see it at Lincoln Center, this Friday, the opening night of the New York Film Festival, with Clint and the cast in attendance.

Eastwood is an excellent filmmaker, and still an underrated one, even with his Oscar.

The Silver Bullet 09-28-03 11:26 PM

There's currently an article about him [and Mystic River] in the New York Times for anyone who's interested...

Holden Pike 09-29-03 01:42 AM

Yeah, a pretty lousy article. It gives a positive review of Mystic River overall, but the writer really has no clue about the rest of Eastwood's work as a filmmaker, or even an actor. He makes some baseless assumptions and incorrect conclusions. He thinks Kael's infamous position on Eastwood is a bit harsh in tone, but otherwise pretty much agrees with it.

Oh, well. At least it may get like-minded idiots in to see Mystic River.

Kong 09-29-03 01:59 AM

Kong is definitely seeing this in the theater, and sans audience at that.

Kong read the novel about a year-and-a-half ago, and while reading it he thought to himself, "This book isn't very good, but you could certainly make a damn fine film about it." That's mostly because the book's core ideas are strong, and haunting; however, it unfortunately lacked in any sort of compelling imagery, but film can make up for that (especially if the cinematographer is good [In this case it's Tom Stern who has only done cinematography in Blood Work, but did lighting for some very beautiful films like American Beauty and Unforgiven.]).

bloodraveness 10-06-03 08:35 PM

Mystic River - looks interesting but I dunno, it looks a little heavy on the dialog. Sean Penn rocks.

Holden Pike 10-06-03 09:10 PM

I saw this on Friday. It's good, but no masterpiece, not one of Clint's very best movies (Unforgiven, A Perfect World, Bird). But though flawed, still good, and worth seeing.

Grade: B

IrishMovieMan 10-07-03 12:29 AM

I just saw a preview for it today it look's like an ok movie, but not one i would pay money to see in theatres.