Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60011)

Fooly Awake 09-05-19 06:59 PM

Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown?

Had you asked me this 5 years ago, I would have said "no contest!" But today, I'm honestly having a hard time, and even leaning towards Jackie Brown.

Anybody else out there find Jackie Brown to be a better movie? Damn, even writing "better movie" gives me pause because Pulp Fiction was such a groundbreaking movie. But Jackie Brown is just so entertaining!

I think I like Jackie Brown better.

Marco 09-05-19 07:21 PM

Saw both in the cinema on both on release. Saw both again recently...Jackie Brown by quite a big margin.

ahwell 09-05-19 08:44 PM

Re: Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown?

Never seen Jackie Brown, but I find it hard to believe it could match the heights of Pulp Fiction.

TheUsualSuspect 09-06-19 01:22 AM

Jackie Brown is the odd Tarantino film out of his filmography due to it being an adaptation and not an original piece. I didn't like it when I was younger, but have grown to appreciate it as I've gotten older. You'll have "those" people who claim it's his best and most mature film because it's NOT a Tarantino piece, but an Elmore Leonard piece. Either way, I'm giving my vote to Pulp Fiction.

ironpony 09-06-19 01:34 AM

Pulp Fiction is better structured, but I like how Tarantino didn't do an original piece with Jackie Brown, and I wish he would adapt more stories from other sources sometimes. But I remember thinking Pulp Fiction is still better.

manumma33 11-25-19 07:15 PM

pulp fiction all day

Wyldesyde19 11-25-19 07:24 PM

Jackie Brown is the more restrained work he has ever done and actually flows better, even better then Pulp Fiction. With Pulp a Fiction he was out to make a point about violence, and film making in general, with Jackie Brown he just wanted to tell a story.
The acting was better in Jackie Brown in my opinion as well. That’s not a slight against a Pulp Fiction, as it’s a tour de force all on its own, but having rewatched Jackie Brown recently, it still crackles with an intensity unmatched by few of his later films

Stirchley 11-25-19 08:24 PM

Pulp Fiction all the way.

rauldc14 11-25-19 08:32 PM

Jackie Brown for me. Dislike Pulp

cricket 11-25-19 08:37 PM

I have Jackie as his 3rd best just behind Pulp at #2.

Mr Minio 11-26-19 01:26 AM

My favourite are Jackie Fiction and Pulp Brown. The latter sounds like a scat video. :D

BooBooKittyFock 11-26-19 05:08 PM

Pulp Fiction

The entire time I watched Jackie Brown I thought she was a he, distracted me from the whole film.

MoreOrLess 11-28-19 03:59 AM

Honestly Jackie Brown to me feels like its more along the lines of "serious cinema" people were more ready to get behind but really I don't think it plays to Tarantino's strengths very well and I'm glad he moved away from that kind of film.

rambo3vhs 11-28-19 04:10 AM

Pulp is just so much fun. Pulp > Jackie

Hitchcockian 11-28-19 06:38 AM

Next week, Godfather or Rumble Fish?

I wouldn't even put Jackie Brown in Tarantino's top five. Whereas I'd put Pulp Fiction as his best.

Kaplan 11-28-19 07:33 AM

I have seen both many, many times and it's Jackie Brown all the way for me. One of my all-time favorite movies and my favorite Tarantino film.

MoreOrLess 11-28-19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hitchcockian (Post 2049778)
Next week, Godfather or Rumble Fish?.
Rumble Fish.

Stirchley 11-29-19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hitchcockian (Post 2049778)
I wouldn't even put Jackie Brown in Tarantino's top five. Whereas I'd put Pulp Fiction as his best.
Agree, but Reservoir Dogs is my favorite.