Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is Movie Forums DYING? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57553)

Sexy Celebrity 08-06-18 11:07 PM

Is Movie Forums DYING?

3 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1533607490

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1533607494

Is Movie Forums DYING?

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1533607498

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dOwHzCHfgA

DISCUSS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

cricket 08-06-18 11:09 PM

No

cricket 08-06-18 11:09 PM

But my avatar is

Gatsby 08-06-18 11:10 PM

Re: Is Movie Forums DYING?

No, but it's been in a coma ever since cinemaaficonado got banned.

rauldc14 08-06-18 11:16 PM

It seemed a strange comment to me which is why I commented on it.

Mark has done this for years and all the sudden his desire is gone.

Where is Harry Lime? Holden Pike doesn't check in nearly as much.

Gatsby has been here a bit more lately but not posting much.

Sexy Celebrity is basically gone, or a shell of his former self.

Godoggo up and left. Even a newcomer, Topsy too without a trace. Hit Girl is adios.

It's like the Avengers movie, everyone is turning into dust.

Camo hates this place basicay. Same as MovieMed.

Sean is here but not really.

Honeykid? Basically a 5 minute check in each day. Similar is Miss Vicky.

And it's not like these people are really being replaced.

I fear for a day where Cricket and Citizen Rules don't post. They are pretty much keeping this thing alive, at least from a film talk perspective.

Camo 08-06-18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1931601)
Camo hates this place basicay.
basically*

rauldc14 08-06-18 11:19 PM

I like basicay better. Especially since spell check doesn't catch it.

Camo 08-06-18 11:20 PM

Send me Albums Lists and i won't hate this place basicay.

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:22 PM

People come and go all the time on MoFo. There's been loads of MoFos come and go over the years.

N3wt, UsedFuture, Optimus, Meatwad were huge posters when I first joined and they've been pretty quiet or have vanished altogether.
JayDee and I had some friendly competition in the reviews pages, and he's gone quiet as well over the years.

It happens.

Citizen Rules 08-06-18 11:23 PM

Also MovieGal is history, same with SilentVamp and Gbgoodies. Probably a bunch more too.

CiCi 08-06-18 11:23 PM

There doesn't seem to be many new posters sticking around lately. Even the ex IMDB posters have all but disappeared.

cricket 08-06-18 11:23 PM

I read the posts backwards and went looking for the basicay movie site

rauldc14 08-06-18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1931612)
People come and go all the time on MoFo. There's been loads of MoFos come and go over the years.

N3wt, UsedFuture, Optimus, Meatwad were huge posters when I first joined and they've been pretty quiet or have vanished altogether.
JayDee and I had some friendly competition in the reviews pages, and he's gone quiet as well over the years.

It happens.
Nah, that's the norm. But this is different. People replaced them. We don't really have any popular members that just joined a year or two ago.

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:26 PM

Seeing GBGoodies mentioned a lot ^^ Nobody knows what happened to her though. She just vanished.
Same thing with Godoggo. She was around, then suddenly she was gone.

Could be life taking its toll. Let's hope not... I mean, we all saw how suddenly Deadite left us :(

MijaFrost 08-06-18 11:27 PM

I'm around quite a bit but I guess I'm a woman of few words, so I read a lot of threads, but don't say much. :P

Camo 08-06-18 11:27 PM

Godoggo came back then left again so i assume she just wasn't into it anymore. gbg disappears for months at a time, wouldn't be concerned there either.

cricket 08-06-18 11:28 PM

We have plenty of newer popular members, we just need to keep the old ones even if it's in a limited capacity. People are just too damn dramatic. There's no reason to leave the forum permanently. If someone is busy, oh well. Need a break? Take one. Nothing like leaving a forum has to be forever.

Citizen Rules 08-06-18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1931620)
Godoggo came back then left again so i assume she just wasn't into it anymore. gbg disappears for months at a time, wouldn't be concerned there either.
That's true. When Godoggo did came back she explained why she had left. Gbgoodies I know from another board and she's slowly been posting here less and less and I know why. She's OK

I'm worried about Dani8 she posted every single day and then 2 weeks ago, nothing.

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:32 PM

I might get my reviews thread up and running again and see if it has an effect. I meant to do so back in February and forgot about it.

Iroquois 08-06-18 11:33 PM

I wish, maybe then I could be free.

CiCi 08-06-18 11:33 PM

I must admit I do find this place frustratingly addictive :lol: there's a sense of community here that's not quite like anything else I've stumbled across on any other forum. Everyone has a distinctive personality here too which balances everything out.

Besides, I feel like the site has been a bit more active in the last couple of weeks with the women director countdown. The album countdown etc. Then again I haven't been around that much myself to say for certain if that's the case.

Camo 08-06-18 11:35 PM

I think we should just all chill out, spend some time with a good book or i dunno with our favourite Album....then vote for it on Camo's Countdown!

MonnoM 08-06-18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1931621)
People are just too damn dramatic.

Cosigned.

MijaFrost 08-06-18 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1931629)
I think we should just all chill out, spend some time with a good book or i dunno with our favourite Album....then vote for it on Camo's Countdown!
Seconded!

jiraffejustin 08-06-18 11:37 PM

rip mofo

:sick::sick::sick:

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:38 PM

I've been trying to get more people involved in the interactive parts of the forum tbh.
I'm doing the quizzes thing... and I've been hoping to get more people interested in Discord and the MoFo Movie Weekends.

Just need more people to get involved :)

CiCi 08-06-18 11:39 PM

Since when did we have a discord? O.o

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:40 PM

:facepalm:

MonnoM 08-06-18 11:42 PM

You should ask Yoda to sticky the thread, Rodent. Especially if you're looking to make Discord a part of Movie Weekend.

Iroquois 08-06-18 11:42 PM

What's a Discord?

cricket 08-06-18 11:43 PM

I thought discord meant we had a lot of arguments and that's why members were disappearing.

Camo 08-06-18 11:44 PM

Disagreement between people. Never been in the MoFo Discord but i imagine that defines both the word and place.

CiCi 08-06-18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1931642)
What's a Discord?
It's like a chatroom. Made for gamers I think? But there are chatrooms for anything and everything

Yoda 08-06-18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1931601)
And it's not like these people are really being replaced.
This is the part I take issue with.

They're not "replaced" because those people are your friends and you don't just replace friends. But in the context of a forum's health, "replace" means something else entirely. And in that sense, there are lots of cool new people. But older members don't notice them, because they're not their friends and nobody can replace them. I've literally seen this happen dozens of times. It's just how it goes.

I get why this is a bummer for someone who's been here awhile, but please don't indirectly badmouth new members by trying to compare them to your old friends. That's not really giving them a fair shake.

cricket 08-06-18 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931652)
My problem with the new members is they're either too young or too weird, even for me.
Some young members when they joined-CiCi-Derek-Daniel-Gatsby-Donnie-Cob-many more.

I don't see anyone that weird.

Yoda 08-06-18 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931626)
A lot has gone on with me, some of it very bizarre. It's true that I've been wanting to leave the forum for good for awhile now. Mainly because I felt I spent too much time here. But one thing that really irritated me and made me start an unhealthy (or healthy) obsession with deleting all of my stuff is..... Yoda called me a TROLL one day. And that hurt me because I've never intended to be a troll here. It's true that I've made absolutely bonkers threads and posts and things, but always with the spirit of keeping the forum alive.
Pretty sure I said you were saying troll-like things, which is a pretty important distinction. And it's also obviously true. Some might use a word like "provocative," or as you said, "absolutely bonkers threads and posts and things." That's fine. But it basically means the same thing: saying ostentatious things to get a reaction out of people, and not always meaning them, entirely.

I always kind of liked having some members like that, but those members can't simultaneously be sensitive if someone points out now and then when it veers a little too close to trollishness. You can be outrageous or you can be sensitive, but you can't be both.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931626)
So when Yoda decided to deduce me to troll status in 2017..... while praising some of the more vicious new IMDB people
I don't recall praising any "vicious" people.

Gatsby 08-06-18 11:53 PM

In seriousness, in an age when big-scale social media sites like Twitter and Reddit reign supreme, I think Movie Forums is relatively very much alive. Online forums are a joke these days, but MoFo continues to be a great place to hang out, both casually and movie wise - let's keep it that way.

MonnoM 08-06-18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1931650)
This is the part I take issue with.

They're not "replaced" because those people are your friends and you don't just replace friends. But in the context of a forum's health, "replace" means something else entirely. And in that sense, there are lots of cool new people. But older members don't notice them, because they're not their friends and nobody can replace them. I've literally seen this happen dozens of times. It's just how it goes.

I get why this is a bummer for someone who's been here awhile, but please don't indirectly badmouth new members by trying to compare them to your old friends. That's not really giving them a fair shake.

Between you and me, how many people who repped you are actually the culprits? ;)

Austruck 08-06-18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1931624)
I'm worried about Dani8 she posted every single day and then 2 weeks ago, nothing.
Isn't Dani8 fighting something? Like cancer? That's what worried me when she went silent. Unsure how to contact her otherwise, though... I do have a mailing address but it's on the other side of the world from me. :(

The Rodent 08-06-18 11:55 PM

Yods called me a troll once too. In fact, he said I was probably one of the best trolls he'd ever seen because I did it in a way that didn't look trollish :laugh:
I'm actually quite proud of that.

Yoda 08-06-18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1931658)
Isn't Dani8 fighting something? Like cancer? That's what worried me when she went silent. Unsure how to contact her otherwise, though... I do have a mailing address but it's on the other side of the world from me. :(
Yeah, she was pretty seriously sick. It's a sad thought, but a very plausible one.

Swan 08-06-18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1931655)
In seriousness, in an age when big-scale social media sites like Twitter and Reddit reign supreme, I think Movie Forums is relatively very much alive. Online forums are a joke these days, but MoFo continues to be a great place to hang out, both casually and movie wise - let's keep it that way.
Fosho, and I think the people who say they dislike this place but come anyway must deep down love it. :cool:

MonnoM 08-06-18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1931658)

Haven't spoken to her in a while, but hope she's doing alright.

MovieGal 08-06-18 11:56 PM

Im going to drop this comment here.. and yeah I come back to see who's talking about me..

but seriously.. perhaps if people would watch what they say to some.. they wouldn't leave.. if people would have healthy discussions instead of arguing or calling other names.. people wouldn't leave...

People tend to run other's off.. it isn't about how busy life is sometimes.. its being talked to in a disrespectful manner.

Gatsby 08-06-18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931652)
My problem with the new members is they're either too young or too weird, even for me.
They're just settling into a new home, I think. When I first joined MoFo, I had a hard time figuring the overall 'culture' of the site. As a result, if you look at some of my old posts, they're a bit awkward and don't reflect my true self.

Creating a welcoming environment for new members is key. Admittedly, it's something I've been falling behind on recently, but it's always on my mind.

Yoda 08-06-18 11:57 PM

Anyway, if someone's just sad some friends aren't here, fair enough. But do me a favor and don't be the guy standing outside the front door effectively trying to talk people out of coming inside.

Post here if you enjoy it on some level, and don't if you don't, but don't stick around just to tell people you don't like it any more. That's not making it better, and it's kinda unfair to people who might want to try to. And it's unfair to you, too, if you really mean what you're saying. Do something you enjoy. If it's not using this place, or not using it any more, no hard feelings. Hope you find something else. :)

jiraffejustin 08-06-18 11:57 PM

As long as MoFo has Yoda, it'll probably be fine

Swan 08-06-18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1931666)
They're just settling into a new home, I think. When I first joined MoFo, I had a hard time figuring the overall 'culture' of the site. As a result, if you look at some of my old posts, they're a bit awkward and don't reflect my true self.

Creating a welcoming environment for new members is key. Admittedly, it's something I've been falling behind on recently, but it's always on my mind.
Wait - are you saying you're not weird anymore, Gatsby?

Ha!

Gatsby 08-06-18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1931670)
Wait - are you saying you're not weird anymore, Gatsby?

Ha!
Nah, I became even weirder. :p

MonnoM 08-07-18 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931665)
Im going to drop this comment here.. and yeah I come back to see who's talking about me..

but seriously.. perhaps if people would watch what they say to some.. they wouldn't leave.. if people would have healthy discussions instead of arguing or calling other names.. people wouldn't leave...

People tend to run other's off.. it isn't about how busy life is sometimes.. its being talked to in a disrespectful manner.

In all fairness, I've only ever seen you being disrespectful and elitist toward others. I don't know you (as you've mentioned to me before) but I call it as I see it. You can't expect someone to treat you a certain way when you exude negativity.

Yoda 08-07-18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931671)
I don't have the messages (the receipts) anymore, but I remember it as you basically calling me a troll, point blank. Frankly, I wish I had taken it as just high praise at the time. Maybe I've overreacted, but the event did get to me.
I can try to look it up if you want, but I'm pretty much positive I said the behavior was troll-like. I pretty much never call people trolls, flat-out, even new members.

Anyway, yeah, I think it was an overreaction. I remember being surprised you even disagreed, since you obviously made a point to say lots of outrageous things. Which I was/am fine with if done the right way. A good forum as all sorts of types of people.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931671)
I strongly disagree. I don't know why you even feel that way. Outrageous and sensitive is EXACTLY how I see myself, whether you or anyone else notices it or not. So whatever philosophy book you got "you can't be outrageous and sensitive" from.... it doesn't come from my own books.
I'm pretty sure it's just simple fairness: why would someone get to say biting, provocative things to everyone else, but demand nobody talk the same way to them? That doesn't seem right.

If you wanna adopt a "hey, don't take this stuff so seriously" attitude, that can be good. Also good to encourage people to be considerate. But those two philosophies are mutually exclusive, and it's not fair to ask a different standard from others than the one you use for them, is all.

Swan 08-07-18 12:08 AM

I miss the early days of MoFo, back in the 1950's when we all communicated via mail.

Captain Spaulding 08-07-18 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1931680)
I miss the early days of MoFo, back in the 1950's when we all communicated via mail.
You'll receive +rep for this comment in 3-5 days.

Yoda 08-07-18 12:10 AM

100% agree you can't replace people. You get new ones, and they're not the same. But then, they also do or say things the old ones never would. It's not really better or worse, it's just different. But it'll seem a lot worse if you always just want it to be the way it was and always compare them to the others, rather than just enjoying interacting with whoever happens to come along.

Being part of a forum is a tricky thing, because you have to value the relationships you form and go with the flow when they end. It's tough, and it's not for everyone. I still get sad about it myself sometimes. But that's the nature of the beast.

Gatsby 08-07-18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931678)
In my honest opinion after observing this forum for 16 years or so..... you can't make a "personality" out of just anybody. Not everyone is going to stand out. If you stand out, there's a reason for that.
But MoFo isn't an exhibit of flamboyant personalities; it's a gathering of people who happen to love movies. Not all people have to be like Yoda or Swan to make this place great again.

As for Caitlyn, us new members have no idea of knowing what she was like - and that's perfectly fine. To me, MoFo is completely sane right now. It actually sounds as if Caitlyn's policies might have restricted the voices of certain members.

Swan 08-07-18 12:14 AM

I still miss Mmm Donuts.

Gatsby 08-07-18 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1931680)
Ooh, ooh, 'member when we used to send a messenger boy on horseback so he could ride through the Rocky Mountains and deliver thoughts on The Great Train Robbery?

Yoda 08-07-18 12:15 AM

Pfft, dying. This thread has 64 posts in an hour. Obviously we're doing great!

Camo 08-07-18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1931688)
I still miss Mmm Donuts.
Same, and Hitchfan. They'd be men now, god i'm old.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931687)
I have always loved you and I am sorry if I've done anything (and I think I have) to make you upset. You were always fun to goof around with, but maybe you didn't like it.
Funny way of showing love... to hurt someone?

and Mommom.. again, you dont know me.. you dont know what I went through.. so I really have little faith in what you say.. you never took anytime to get to know me.. but I can tell you.. if you ask Swan, Cricket, Minio, Dani8, Gatsby, Citizen Rules, Captain Spaulding and even Sexy Celebrity..

They will all tell you how pretty damn Awesome I am...

Yoda 08-07-18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931693)
I've always tried to help keep this place as the Quentin Tarantino of movie forums.
I was wondering what was up with all the racial slurs.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931693)
It's always bothered me that some people couldn't keep up with my vision.
You're ahead of your time, Sexy.

Camo 08-07-18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1931690)
Pfft, dying. This thread has 64 posts in an hour. Obviously we're doing great!
My Albums thread has nearly 500 posts in 3 days....although most are mine.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:18 AM

Wait.. Camo can even tell you how pretty damn Awesome I am.. .and f**k .. Im old too :D :D

Yoda 08-07-18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1931696)
My Albums thread has nearly 500 posts in 3 days....although most are mine.
$$$$$$$

Camo 08-07-18 12:19 AM

Yeah, MG is awesome. Nice Avatar too :cool:

Yoda 08-07-18 12:19 AM

See now you're all gonna make me bust my ass this fall and come out with a bunch of hawt new features just to prove you wrong. Thanks a lot.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1931700)
Yeah, MG is awesome. Nice Avatar too :cool:
We're twins!!!!

wait... damn... don't call me Mom

Yoda 08-07-18 12:20 AM

Like, I don't have time for that. Code is stupid. Just say interesting things about movies so I don't have to do any more work. You people are insatiable for features.

jiraffejustin 08-07-18 12:20 AM

It's really crazy to me how long I've "been here" and how much I've gone through in life during that time, and I've never really wanted to leave this place permanently. It's true that some members have disappeared that I really like, and it's also true that I have a bad habit of seeing the new members like freshmen and sophomores while I'm a senior (though in real life, I actually really liked the sophomore class when I was a senior.) But overall, it seems the majority of posters here are enjoying it.

MonnoM 08-07-18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931694)
Funny way of showing love... to hurt someone?

and Mommom.. again, you dont know me.. you dont know what I went through.. so I really have little faith in what you say.. you never took anytime to get to know me.. but I can tell you.. if you ask Swan, Cricket, Minio, Dani8, Gatsby, Citizen Rules, Captain Spaulding and even Sexy Celebrity..

They will all tell you how pretty damn Awesome I am...

Look at you, I'm too low on your totem pole to even bother spelling my name right. :napoleon:

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931704)
Don't forget who created this thread -- the troll.

I can think of a lot more words for you.. .

Swan 08-07-18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1931703)
Like, I don't have time for that. Code is stupid. Just say interesting things about movies so I don't have to do any more work. You people are insatiable for features.
java . idkcode . yoda wrong2
. html
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
wut am idoing .
code rocks

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1931706)
Look at you, I'm too low on your totem pole to even bother spelling my name right. :napoleon:
Nope its not that...

it was just a last minute thought to reply to you.. I was originally going to just ignore it.. like I do a lot of things....

Derek Vinyard 08-07-18 12:23 AM

I'm still here posting my thing on Linkin Park (and movies sometimes :)) people come and go it is life but no MoFo is not dying anytime soon

Yoda 08-07-18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931704)
Don't forget who created this thread -- the troll.
Say what you want about trolling: it usually works.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1931712)
If I hurt you, it's because you love me. We love each other.
You couldn't accept that I was different.. that I had strange likes and habits... you had to pick on something so you did me.

the weird chick with the embalmed duckling..

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1931713)
I'm still here posting my thing on Linkin Park (and movies sometimes :)) people come and go it is life but no MoFo is not dying anytime soon
derek knows how Awesome I am.. .<3

Iroquois 08-07-18 12:26 AM

Lately, it seems the problem isn't so much thinking that new users don't compare to the old ones so much as it is realising that the old ones aren't that good in the first place - it certainly seems like I spend more time on here arguing with established long-term members than the latest upstarts. Yeah yeah it adds colour to the place and results in a vibrant community and whatever else you want to spin it as but it gets overwhelming when damn near everyone seems to be against you. If anything, that just seems like it's liable to result in a more insulated and homogenous community, which may very well be what makes it easier to declare this site as "dying".

MonnoM 08-07-18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931711)
Nope its not that...

it was just a last minute thought to reply to you.. I was originally going to just ignore it.. like I do a lot of things....

Yeah, I have that affect on people. :D

Yoda 08-07-18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1931717)
Lately, it seems the problem isn't so much thinking that new users don't compare to the old ones so much as it is realising that the old ones aren't that good in the first place - it certainly seems like I spend more time on here arguing with established long-term members than the latest upstarts. Yeah yeah it adds colour to the place and results in a vibrant community and whatever else you want to spin it as but it gets overwhelming when damn near everyone seems to be against you. If anything, that just seems like it's liable to result in a more insulated and homogenous community, which may very well be what makes it easier to declare this site as "dying".
I have serious responses to this, but this seems like an absolutely terrible thread to discuss them in, so idk.

Derek Vinyard 08-07-18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931716)
derek knows how Awesome I am.. .<3
yep I miss you here! great person to talk and great movie taste :)

cricket 08-07-18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931715)
You couldn't accept that I was different.. that I had strange likes and habits... you had to pick on something so you did me.

the weird chick with the embalmed duckling..
I find your personality to be very misleading, and I don't blame you for that. I think you inadvertently invite well intended jabs.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1931722)
I find your personality to be very misleading, and I don't blame you for that. I think you inadvertently invite well intended jabs.
No I don't.. Im just open to my own weirdness.... hey there are many like me out there... how am I to find them?

Austruck 08-07-18 12:30 AM

Hey, howdy, everyone! How's it goin'? What did I miss?

<ducking>

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1931718)
Yeah, I have that affect on people. :D
When I came back.. I only made one new friend and we didnt talk that much.. we shared a common interest and that was our main topic of conversation...

Others just ignored me or couldn't accept me.. so I learned .. f** them.

Yoda 08-07-18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931723)
No I don't.. Im just open to my own weirdness.... hey there are many like me out there... how am I to find them?
Just discuss what you like, and focus on that, rather than have meta-level discussions about whether it's weird or whether people can accept it.

Make it about the movies and not what liking them does or doesn't say about you, in other words.

Iroquois 08-07-18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1931719)
I have serious responses to this, but this seems like an absolutely terrible thread to discuss them in, so idk.
Considering the standard of the rest of the thread as it is, I don't see how it could get much worse, but you're the boss. In any case, I have wondered if this might genuinely be a factor that prompts users to give up on the place and result in the site starting to stagnate.

Austruck 08-07-18 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sooo… just to give us some perspective, here's a cute picture of my new GRANDSON, Yoda's nephew, affectionately named King Arthur.

Now, don't you feel better?

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1533612827

MonnoM 08-07-18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931726)
When I came back.. I only made one new friend and we didnt talk that much.. we shared a common interest and that was our main topic of conversation...

Others just ignored me or couldn't accept me.. so I learned .. f** them.

I'm sure you're really awesome, you should show the world that. I can be a decent sort too when you get to know me. What do ya say to a do-over?

Hi, MovieGal, I'm MonnoM. How do you do?

cricket 08-07-18 12:36 AM

I think the Trump thread is a great thread but I do think it caused a lot of problems. I blame the Mexicsns.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 1931734)
Sooo… just to give us some perspective, here's a cute picture of my new GRANDSON, Yoda's nephew, affectionately named King Arthur.

Now, don't you feel better?

I love Arthurian Legend.. its a great thing to read about both fictional and non-fictional... stories and historywise....

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1931736)
I'm sure you're really awesome, you should show the world that. I can be a decent sort too when you get to know me. What do ya say to a do-over?

Hi, MovieGal, I'm MonnoM. How do you do?
Very tired.. its past 10:30 here and I work tomorrow.

you?

Swan 08-07-18 12:38 AM

Congrats to Austruck, Yoda, and their family.

ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR KING ARTHUR!!!!!

Austruck 08-07-18 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931738)
I love Arthurian Legend.. its a great thing to read about both fictional and non-fictional... stories and historywise....
His name really is Arthur! When I got the text the morning he was born ("Arthur is here!"), I thought they were kidding and his name was something else, like Jason or Joshua or something. :D :D

Where were we? Oh yeah, bitching about Movie Forums...

cricket 08-07-18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931739)

you?
11:39 here and I have to get up at 4:30. Who started this nonsense?

jiraffejustin 08-07-18 12:40 AM

"King" Arthur....ugh. Patriarchy.

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:40 AM

Hail King Arthur! And his grandmom Austruck

MovieGal 08-07-18 12:42 AM

Don't care about no politics...

MonnoM 08-07-18 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1931739)

you?

Don't mean to hold you up. I'm doing well, thanks for asking. Maybe you'll consider showing up more, we can talk movies next time. :D

Yoda 08-07-18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1931728)
Considering the standard of the rest of the thread as it is, I don't see how it could get much worse, but you're the boss.
It's not that the thread would get worse, it's that it would get lost in the shuffle.

I guess I can nutshell it as: I think your standard for which views are unconscionable (rather than just mistaken or bad) is awfully low, given that you apparently find so many people here to be totally irredeemable in a group that looks, to me, like a relatively normal cross-section.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1931728)
In any case, I have wondered if this might genuinely be a factor that prompts users to give up on the place and result in the site starting to stagnate.
I hope you'll understand why I'm skeptical of a diagnosis that boils down to "not enough people here agree with me about politics."

But I think you're still in the right general area: I don't think people are willing or able to compartmentalize disagreements any more, and I don't think they have any sense of degree or perspective. I think, when I started this place, there were views someone liked, and views they disagreed with but kind of understood, and views they disliked but didn't despise...and now there's pretty much just "what I believe" and "ideas I despise." And if you despise someone, even for just one belief, it makes it unpleasant to interact with or around them at all.

The solution is simply having the empathy required to figure out how intelligent and well-meaning people might reasonably come to different conclusions.