Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What films have you seen that you think most people haven't seen? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64855)

Allaby 09-25-21 05:50 PM

What films have you seen that you think most people haven't seen?

Name the most obscure, unknown, least seen movies that you have watched and see if anyone here has seen them. Here are the least watched films I have seen:

American Orpheus (1992)
Todo un caballero (1947)
Go in the Wilderness (2013)
All the Way to Paris (1966)
Sophie's Place (1986)
Fe (1994)
Ava & Gabriel: A Love Story (1990)
Leap 4 Your Life (2013)
The World and the Woman (1916)
Days of Gray (2013)
Camp New: Dollar Days (2017)
Virtual Love (1993)
Saving Borshia (2015)
Camp New: Humble Pie (2017)
52 Words for Love (2018)
The Anniversary (2014)
Carl (2011)
Lash of the Penitentes (1936)
Empty Suitcases (1980)
Darkest Edge (2020)
Rânia (2011)
Détruisez-vous (1969)
I am a Good Person/I Am a Bad Person (2011)
Buddy BeBop vs the Living Dead (2009)
Guilty Parents (1934)

Have any of you guys seen any of those? And what are your least seen movies?

ScarletLion 09-25-21 06:12 PM

Phew I dunno. I've not seen any of those I don't think.

I'll be surprised if anyone has seen the film 'Sleep Furiously' by Gideon Koppel.

Anybody seen:

'The Apple'
'The Gardener'
(both Iranian)

'Ajami' ? (really great hyperlink film)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077262/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Allaby 09-25-21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2240943)
Phew I dunno. I've not seen any of those I don't think.

I'll be surprised if anyone has seen the film 'Sleep Furiously' by Gideon Koppel.

Anybody seen:

'The Apple'
'The Gardener'
(both Iranian)

'Ajami' ? (really great hyperlink film)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077262/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
I haven't seen any of those that you mentioned.

crumbsroom 09-25-21 06:25 PM

Re: What films have you seen that you think most people haven't seen?

I've seen both the Iranian "The Apple" and the Gonzo American/German musical "The Apple", both of which I consider essential viewing.

For my own, I imagine very few people have watched "Ogroff: The Mad Mutilator". Or the crappy Canadian hockey drama "Face Off". Or Edgar Ulmer's "Strange Impersonation".

"Sonny Boy" starring David Carradine is also chronically underseen.

crumbsroom 09-25-21 06:30 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/CKDTRfJg/vortex.jpg

crumbsroom 09-25-21 06:34 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/fyy80GZ9/strange-girls.jpg

SpelingError 09-25-21 07:01 PM

How about Avengers: Endgame? I'm confident that nobody here has ever heard of that film.

Allaby 09-25-21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2240952)
How about Avengers: Endgame? I'm confident that nobody here has ever heard of that film.
Is that one of those foreign, independent films with a low budget and a bunch of unknowns in it? Sounds boring.

SpelingError 09-25-21 07:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've mentioned this one in the past, but I'll post it again:

(sorry for the inconsistent poster sizes)

SpelingError 09-25-21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2240953)
Is that one of those foreign, independent films with a low budget and a bunch of unknowns in it? Sounds boring.
Eh, it's decent. It's just a shame that most moviegoers would rather watch Marvel films instead of it.

Thief 09-25-21 07:22 PM

I know I've seen a bunch of really obscure films, but maybe not that far out. A few...

Third Contact (2013)
The 12 (2017)
Aerials (2016)
Tuftland (2017)
The Figurine (2009)
Glass Chin (2014)
Sennentuntschi (2010)
Devil Times Five (1974)
A Man for Hanging (1972)

The first three are not particularly good.

Tuftland (from Finland) is low-budget and "amateurish", but I thought it was an interesting counterpart to Midsommar, if you can fathom that. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of Midsommar, so :shrug:

The Figurine (from Nigeria) is also on the very low-budget and "amateurish" side, but with the historical context of Nigerian cinema, it's quite good, and overall, it's not a bad film.

Glass Chin was very good and well shot. Stars Corey Stoll and Billy Crudup. Been meaning to check out more stuff from the director.

Sennentuntschi (from Switzerland) was competently made, a bit creepy, but also a bit all over the place.

Devil Times Five borders on farcical, but it did manage to surprise me.

A Man for Hanging is a really good western. I liked it a lot.

pahaK 09-25-21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2240961)
Sennentuntschi (from Switzerland) was competently made, a bit creepy, but also a bit all over the place.

Devil Times Five borders on farcical, but it did manage to surprise me.
Finally, something I've seen. I also pretty much agree with you on those two (I've rated them both 2/5, but may have been a tad too harsh for Sennentuntschi).

Some of my more obscure viewings are possibly the following:

Klyftan: A Finnish TV movie about our civil war seen through the eyes of a child.
In Love with the Dead: A horror drama from Hong Kong. I remember I liked it but can't say much more without a rewatch.
The Coming of Sin: A quite decent Spanish erotic thriller/drama.
Spasms: A surprisingly good B-horror about an evil giant snake. Don't know if it's that obscure, but I see it rarely mentioned anywhere.

Then there are too many Italian and Spanish trashy B-horrors to list. I also think that most films by Carlos Enrique Taboada fall under this category (I've seen three or four, and most of them don't have even decent quality copies available).

Allaby 09-25-21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2240971)
Finally, something I've seen. I also pretty much agree with you on those two (I've rated them both 2/5, but may have been a tad too harsh for Sennentuntschi).

Some of my more obscure viewings are possibly the following:

Klyftan: A Finnish TV movie about our civil war seen through the eyes of a child.
In Love with the Dead: A horror drama from Hong Kong. I remember I liked it but can't say much more without a rewatch.
The Coming of Sin: A quite decent Spanish erotic thriller/drama.
Spasms: A surprisingly good B-horror about an evil giant snake. Don't know if it's that obscure, but I see it rarely mentioned anywhere.

Then there are too many Italian and Spanish trashy B-horrors to list. I also think that most films by Carlos Enrique Taboada fall under this category (I've seen three or four, and most of them don't have even decent quality copies available).
The Coming of Sin was pretty good. That's the only one of yours I have seen. Spasms sounds like fun though.

Little Ash 09-25-21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2240947)
I've seen both the Iranian "The Apple" and the Gonzo American/German musical "The Apple", both of which I consider essential viewing.

For my own, I imagine very few people have watched "Ogroff: The Mad Mutilator". Or the crappy Canadian hockey drama "Face Off". Or Edgar Ulmer's "Strange Impersonation".

"Sonny Boy" starring David Carradine is also chronically underseen.

I feel like Ogroff has developed that midnight movie following like Things has.

Though maybe I say that because it's the only movie listed in this thread that I've seen.

As for me, I only watch stuff other people have seen. Except that one time I watched Ninja Busters in the theater about 30 years after its initial release that never really happened and was lost. I guess not many people had seen it by that point. But now it's been out on blu-ray for a few years, I guess other people may have seen it by now.

matt72582 09-25-21 09:51 PM

Excellent thread idea! I'll avoid anything except feature films.

Just a tip for others who can't think of any. I'll paste the link below
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?n...tings=restrict

"Cairo '30"
"What Happened Was…" (Noonan)
"Chit-chat On The Nile" (Barakat)
"Cairo Station"
"Modlitba pro Katerinu Horovitzovou" (1965 TV Movie)
"Om Natten"
Border Street (1948)
Part-Time Work of a Domestic Slave (1973)
Rotation (1949)
Professor (1962)

Higher Probability (but I rather err on the side of cautionless!)
Wifemistress (1977) – eerie movie! Marcello Mastroianni
Los tallos amargos (1956) – also eerie, Argentine noir
Ditte, Child of Man (1946) - nice little movie, nothing special
Once You Kiss a Stranger… (1969) – I only wish I remembered this!
House of Women (1962)
Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960)
T.R. Baskin (1971) - a young woman arrives in NYC.. Sex.. Probably Candice Bergen's first movie

One is a Lonely Number (1972) – loved this one! Narrative revolves around a woman, and she might even be narrating throughout the movie. Gave it a 10/10 but not sure if I want to see it again, possibly because I don't want to ruin my 10/10 :)

Domenica d'agosto (1950)
Marvin & Tige (1983) - John Cassavetes finds a suicidal 9-yr old at a park bench! I don't mind sentimentality.

Who Saw Him Die? (1968)
Romeo, Julie a tma (1960) - Local boy who is hiding a Jewish girl
Krane's Confectionery (1951) – really cool about a mother who decides to leave her family for fun!

A Man to Remember (1938) - sentimental movie, but nothing I'd rush to see.

Thief 09-25-21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2240971)
I gave both 3/5 and I think I was too harsh on Devil Times Five :laugh:

Anyway, I also assume that most people are not familiar with Puerto Rican films...

Maruja (1959)
Dios los cría (1979)
Lo que le pasó a Santiago (1989)
La guagua aérea (1993)
Héroes de Otra Patria (1996)
Ángel (2007)

The only one of these I haven't seen yet is Dios los cría, but the others are all pretty good (although I haven't seen Héroes in 20+ years). Lo que le pasó a Santiago was even nominated for an Oscar that year.

Takoma11 09-25-21 10:16 PM

Of the films I've seen that have fewer than 1000 IMDb ratings that I would actually consider recommending at all (though some were released in theaters, so I'm not sure how else to gauge their viewership aside from IMDb ratings . . . .):

Jordan (2010)
2 Nights Til Morning
Rufus
The Creatures Weird sci-fi drama from Agnes Varda
I Still Hide to Smoke A neat drama taking place in a female bath house where the women agree to hide a woman who is being hunted by a group of men
Sleepwalk Neat little thriller from Sara Driver
Slut in a Good Way Fun Canadian comedy about teen girls working in a toy store
Casa de Lava I bet some people here have seen this Pedro Costa film
When Pigs Fly Another one from Sara Driver
I Will Follow A really powerful film from Ava DuVernay. Seriously so good.
Two Step Decent crime thriller
The Hatred A short film from 2018 that really delivers on a low budget
Least Among Saints A solid drama that's one of those written/directed/starring deals from Martin Papazian.
Edge of Madness A woman is found wandering in the wilderness in the late 1800s and a local lawman must figure out what happened
Tikkun An orthodox scholar comes back from the dead and begins to see the world differently. Really haunting.
All This Panic
Jack Be Nimble A really off-kilter horror that I wish more people had seen
The Third Eye A psycho knock off that is amazing.
All is Normal A low-budget horror with really cool sound design
Jingle Bell Rocks Great little documentary about Christmas music

I'll also mention Salvage (2006, not the later one). I think it's a really original little horror film that does great things with its budget and a solid performance from the lead actress.

crumbsroom 09-25-21 10:17 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/8PZmvpzX/air-crew.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GmNPMXYk/purple-ball.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4d43pgdw/wizard.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/1tW3HjVS/teens-in-the.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/HnVsP9by/phantom-of-hollywood.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/MHMqYK80/the-whisperers.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/pdS25nwV/ant.jpg

Allaby 09-25-21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2240991)
Of the films I've seen that have fewer than 1000 IMDb ratings that I would actually consider recommending at all (though some were released in theaters, so I'm not sure how else to gauge their viewership aside from IMDb ratings . . . .):

Jordan (2010)
2 Nights Til Morning
Rufus
The Creatures Weird sci-fi drama from Agnes Varda
I Still Hide to Smoke A neat drama taking place in a female bath house where the women agree to hide a woman who is being hunted by a group of men
Sleepwalk Neat little thriller from Sara Driver
Slut in a Good Way Fun Canadian comedy about teen girls working in a toy store
Casa de Lava I bet some people here have seen this Pedro Costa film
When Pigs Fly Another one from Sara Driver
I Will Follow A really powerful film from Ava DuVernay. Seriously so good.
Two Step Decent crime thriller
The Hatred A short film from 2018 that really delivers on a low budget
Least Among Saints A solid drama that's one of those written/directed/starring deals from Martin Papazian.
Edge of Madness A woman is found wandering in the wilderness in the late 1800s and a local lawman must figure out what happened
Tikkun An orthodox scholar comes back from the dead and begins to see the world differently. Really haunting.
All This Panic
Jack Be Nimble A really off-kilter horror that I wish more people had seen
The Third Eye A psycho knock off that is amazing.
All is Normal A low-budget horror with really cool sound design
Jingle Bell Rocks Great little documentary about Christmas music

I'll also mention Salvage (2006, not the later one). I think it's a really original little horror film that does great things with its budget and a solid performance from the lead actress.
I Still Hide to Smoke was really good. I've seen Sleepwalk and Slut in a Good Way and thought both were just alright.

SpelingError 09-25-21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2240992)
I, along with about a dozen posters here, saw that one for the 24th Hall of Fame. Though it was a hard film to get through with bleakness filling seemingly every frame with almost no levity to make it easier to swallow, the hopeful ending won me over and, as a result, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Takoma11 09-25-21 10:28 PM

Would you all actually recommend the films you're listing?

For example, the movie Cryptic Road only has 25 IMDb votes. But also I would not recommend it to anyone. (Well, not to anyone I like as a person).

Thief 09-25-21 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2240995)
I, along with about a dozen posters here, saw that one for the 24th Hall of Fame. Though it was a hard film to get through with bleakness filling seemingly every frame with almost no levity to make it easier to swallow, the hopeful ending won me over and, as a result, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Yeah, was about to say this. I thought the film was excellent.

Thief 09-25-21 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2240996)
Would you all actually recommend the films you're listing?

For example, the movie Cryptic Road only has 25 IMDb votes. But also I would not recommend it to anyone. (Well, not to anyone I like as a person).
Not all. That's why I mentioned on my first list that the first three weren't really good. Trying to put something for each film I list.

Rockatansky 09-25-21 10:39 PM

Using the "less than 1000 IMDb rating" criteria, some possible Halloween viewing:

https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w1280...JU2C9r2B1p.jpg
https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w1280...2z7ukFa3o2.jpg

https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w1280...SJelsIIZRg.jpg

https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w1280...wLtMbWeNHz.jpg

https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w1280...Bx0A6q1QAY.jpg

SpelingError 09-25-21 10:43 PM

@Rockatansky Since you're talking about Halloween films, have you seen this obscure film called Nightbeast? You might like it.

Thief 09-25-21 10:44 PM

Other relatively obscure films I've seen that I rarely see mentioned, if at all...

Maria (2019, Philippines)
:down: Winter of the Braves (2019, Ukraine)
:up: Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Indonesia)
The Cured (2017, Ireland)
Red Spring (2017, Canada)
93 Days (2016, Nigeria)
7:19 (2016, Mexico)
Why Me? (2015, Romania)
Mr. Six (2015, China)
Summer Camp (2015, Spain)
The Falling (2014, UK) (stars Florence Pugh and Maisie Williams)
:down: Dead of Winter (2014, Canada)
Any Day Now (2012, USA)
Speckles: The Tarbosaurus (2012, South Korea)
:down: Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed (2012, USA)
The Good Doctor (2011, USA)
King of Devil's Island (2010, Norway)
:up: Protektor (2009, Czechia)
:up: The Ninth Day (2004, Germany)
Agnivarsha: The Fire and the Rain (2002, India)
Skins (2002, USA)
:down: Stranded (2001, Spain)
:up: 10 Rillington Place (1971, UK) (based in real events, stars John Hurt and Richard Attenborough)
:up: Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970, USA)
Spring Night Summer Night (1967, USA)
:up: Dead Ringer (1964, USA) (directed by Paul Henreid, starring Bette Davis and Karl Malden)
A Bomb Was Stolen (1962, Romania)
Home Town Story (1951, USA) (very propaganda, brief role from Marilyn Monroe)

Most of them are foreign, but a couple US rarities as well. There are a bunch of duds there, but highlighted the ones I felt more strongly. The other ones could go either way, depending on your tastes and tolerance.

Note: I think that @Takoma11 was the one that recommended Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts, but I might be wrong. I also think that @ThatDarnMKS saw 10 Rillington Place.

SpelingError 09-25-21 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I think crumbsroom has already seen this one, but more people need to watch it. I rewatched and reviewed it a week or two ago and it held up really well.

Takoma11 09-25-21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2241002)
:up: Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Indonesia)

Note: I think that @Takoma11 was the one that recommended Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts, but I might be wrong.
I did! For one of your monthly challenges. And I second the recommendation.

Thief 09-25-21 10:54 PM

Speaking of @ThatDarnMKS, I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that we did an episode on my podcast on "hidden gems" and little known films that we feel deserved more attention, so allow me the shameless self-plug.

The Movie Loot 37: The Hidden Loot

For a while, it was my most downloaded episode, but it's #2 right now :shifty: :D

pahaK 09-25-21 10:55 PM

Of the above post by @Rockatansky I've seen two. Satan's Slave isn't too hot and I prefer the remake/sequel by Joko Anwar. The Strangeness is an OK little horror with some cool stop motion effects.

Captain Terror 09-25-21 11:02 PM

When I watched Overboard starring Cliff Robertson and Angie Dickinson, I had to create the Letterboxd entry myself. Since then one other person has logged it! That's my contribution to society.

Also, dozens of B-movies from the 30s and 40s. Started a real deep dive when the lockdown first started that continues to this day

Torgo 09-25-21 11:04 PM

The Policeman, an Israeli comedy from 1971. It has a little over 700 IMDB votes and only 20 reviews on Letterboxd. I highly recommend it, although I'm not sure how you'd see it. I watched it on a bootleg DVD that was recorded from Israeli TV.

Takoma11 09-25-21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2241008)
I watched it on a bootleg DVD that was recorded from Israeli TV.
Most guests at the wedding were perturbed by Torgo's highly eclectic gift registry.

Torgo 09-25-21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2241011)
Most guests at the wedding were perturbed by Torgo's highly eclectic gift registry.
LOL. Some people register with Crate & Barrel. Others, Target. I'm a bootleg DVD guy.

Takoma11 09-25-21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2241013)
LOL. Some people register with Crate & Barrel. Others, Target. I'm a bootleg DVD guy.
That awkward moment when two people show up at the gift table, both with a DVD that is half Transformers filmed off of a television set and half a Mr. Belvadere marathon.

Rockatansky 09-26-21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2241001)
@Rockatansky Since you're talking about Halloween films, have you seen this obscure film called Nightbeast? You might like it.
Can't say I have. ;)

Little Ash 09-26-21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2241000)
Using the "less than 1000 IMDb rating" criteria, some possible Halloween viewing:
This now has me wondering which movies I've seen has fewest IMDb ratings.

Ninja Busters (1984): 128
Andy Milligan's Nightbirds: 199
Andy Milligan's Blood (1973): 281
Ogroff: 284
Son of Dracula (1972, with Ringo Starr): 372
Rat Man (1988): 814

I'm sorry for those people who have seen Son of Dracula and Rat Man. The others have their worth and I actually do enjoy Ninja Busters.

CharlesAoup 09-26-21 07:53 AM

School in the Woods, 2010
616 Paranormal Incident, 2013
Paranormal Asylum: The Revenge of Typhoid Mary, 2013
The Ouija Exorcism, 2015

I've seen at least 50 50's sci-fi films, and I reckon some of them haven't been seen by many people even here.

I don't think many people here would watch stuff like Barbie Starlight Adventure, so I'll throw it in, and I'll also throw in the Dora movie.

Edit: Oh, and statistically, I doubt many people here have also seen Zyzzyx Road.

John Dumbear 09-26-21 09:12 AM

Kudoes to all that has participated here, for I haven't heard of a single film in this thread.

Is this good, or bad?

CharlesAoup 09-26-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2241048)
Kudoes to all that has participated here, for I haven't heard of a single film in this thread.

Is this good, or bad?
From the movies Thief mentionned, you might want to watch Colossus: The Forbin Project. Absolute top shelf sci-fi. I don't think I've seen anything else. I'd have to double check with my watchlist.

crumbsroom 09-26-21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2241003)

I think crumbsroom has already seen this one, but more people need to watch it. I rewatched and reviewed it a week or two ago and it held up really well.

I totally forgot about this

crumbsroom 09-26-21 12:24 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/sXHJ7Qqw/Dead-Daughters.jpg

And, even though I'm sure some must have seen it, Confessions of an Opium Eater seems to almost never be mentioned by anyone. And its great.

Flicker 09-26-21 12:54 PM

I wish more people has seen Fish Story (2009) and Kitchen Stories (2003), but at least the mofo decade thingy may give them a little boost here.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think -or hope- few people have been inflicted Moon 44 (1990), despite Roland Emmerich's name. I also doubt many people have watched Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). Not sure why they would.

I expect Station Agent (2003) to have gained some notoriety now that Game of Thrones made Peter Dinklage famous. Did it also increase the visibility of Living in Oblivion (1995) ?

Hello Ghost (2010) and Kazura/Wig (2010) are lovely -and funny- movies that are perfectly ignored in the West, but I wonder how better known they are in the East. "Most people" of course meaning "most people around us". Same for All about my dog (2005), one of the funniest and saddest movies I've seen (not difficult to be both, given that it's a collection of separate stories).

Also, have many people seen Antonia 'Ravenous' Bird's Face (1997) ? Given the notoriety of Robert Carlyle, I'm surprised by how ignored it is. But again, maybe it isn't everywhere.

Anyway, the difference between cultural areas' (of historical eras') classics-seen-by-everyone fascinates me, especially within cultures that seem very close and very overlapping. I love sharing the absolutely obvious french classics that people abroad have hardly ever heard about, and seeking the collective references of other countries that are invisible here (by "reference" I mean, movies that everyone knows by heart, that are often used in parodies, etc). But this also means that our expectations about "well known" movies can get very wrong beyond the locale. What I'm saying is that I'm pretty confident that, say, Think Fast Mr Moto (1937) has been seen by virtually no one around me, but I suspect it's a notorious film on these boards. And maybe I could mention Gramps is in the Resistance (1983), one of the most popular french comedies, as an obscure movie on mofo ? Meaning, damn, I'd have quite a list...

Citizen Rules 09-26-21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker (Post 2241071)
...I also doubt many people have watched Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). Not sure why they would.

I expect Station Agent (2003) to have gained some notoriety now that Game of Thrones made Peter Dinklage famous...
...What I'm saying is that I'm pretty confident that, say, Think Fast Mr Moto (1937) has been seen by virtually no one around me, but I suspect it's a notorious film on these boards...
In reply to a post about Annihilation.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1961799)
You know who did that idea first, Roger Corman in Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). Giant predatory crabs can talk to people by telepathy, then consume them and absorb their personalities, into the crab. It's a B movie, but the concept was really cool. As soon as I seen the bear creature in Annihilation I thought of Attack of the Crab Monsters.
Station Agent (2003) won the 15th Hall of Fame here and now resides in the HoF Archives Museum here.

I've watched all of the Mr Moto movies, the earliest ones in the series were pretty darn good.

SpelingError 09-26-21 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I know a couple people here have already seen this one, but it's ridiculously underseen. It shares some similarities to Close-Up in the sense that it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, except it's much, much better. Easily my favorite Iranian film.

SpelingError 09-26-21 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Thief 09-26-21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2241058)
From the movies Thief mentionned, you might want to watch Colossus: The Forbin Project. Absolute top shelf sci-fi. I don't think I've seen anything else. I'd have to double check with my watchlist.
If it weren't for one plot development that sticks like a sore thumb, that film would've ranked way higher in my books... and still I never lose a chance to recommend it.

Citizen Rules 09-26-21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2241106)
If it weren't for one plot development that sticks like a sore thumb, that film would've ranked way higher in my books... and still I never lose a chance to recommend it.
I watched Colossus: The Forbin Project recently. I liked it, I had thought it would be some cheesy 60s sci fi but it really was trying to be serious and not a hero vs villain film. But I can't recall what this would be? 'one plot development that sticks like a sore thumb'. Can you put the answer into spoilers?

Thief 09-26-21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2241112)
I watched Colossus: The Forbin Project recently. I liked it, I had thought it would be some cheesy 60s sci fi but it really was trying to be serious and not a hero vs villain film. But I can't recall what this would be? 'one plot development that sticks like a sore thumb'. Can you put the answer into spoilers?
WARNING: spoilers below
The one where they pretty much force the female doctor to sleep with Dr. Forbin, so they could have "private time" from Colossus surveillance. It was equal parts laughable, clunky, objectifying, and ultimately unnecessary.

Allaby 09-26-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by melissahastings (Post 2241115)
Here's my list!

Darbareye Elly (2009)
Before Midnight (2013)
Fruitvale Station (2013)
Memories of Murder (2003)
Senna (2010)
United 93 (2006)
I haven’t seen Senna, but I have seen the other ones you mentioned. They were all really good.

Thief 09-26-21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by melissahastings (Post 2241115)
Here's my list!

Darbareye Elly (2009)
Before Midnight (2013)
Fruitvale Station (2013)
Memories of Murder (2003)
Senna (2010)
United 93 (2006)
Haven't seen About Elly or Senna, but the others all range between good to great. I actually saw Fruitvale Station a couple of months ago.

Takoma11 09-26-21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2241122)
I haven’t seen Senna, but I have seen the other ones you mentioned. They were all really good.
Ooh, Senna is a great documentary. Highly recommended even if you have zero interest (like me) in racing.

Maddison Watson 09-28-21 04:20 AM

The Pursuit of Happyness

Diehl40 10-08-21 06:18 PM

I have not heard this film mentioned on this sight, but for all I know it has a cult following. It was called "Welcome to Woop Woop. It was strange but i found it somewhat entertaining.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...lx3Eo5tc2hccJC

Jeremiah_J 10-09-21 03:45 PM

Dust Devil (1992)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPpB8czXsAMr90Q.jpg

Gideon58 10-09-21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maddison Watson (Post 2241492)
The Pursuit of Happyness

I love The Pursuit of Happyness, my favorite Will Smith performance

AgrippinaX 10-09-21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2244438)
I love The Pursuit of Happyness, my favorite Will Smith performance
Likewise.

Whammy 10-09-21 05:22 PM

Rubber
The Greasy Strangler

pahaK 10-09-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah_J (Post 2244426)
Very good film :up:

Torgo 10-09-21 06:21 PM

Dust Devil is great. Seek out the 2 hour director's cut because what I've read about the 85-minute cut is that it's missing a lot of the good and important stuff.

rambond 10-09-21 07:15 PM

Lebanese films :
West beyrouth
The insult
Under the bombs
Capernaum

Jeremiah_J 10-09-21 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2244467)
Dust Devil is great. Seek out the 2 hour director's cut because what I've read about the 85-minute cut is that it's missing a lot of the good and important stuff.
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. :up:

I have the 89 minute version. Can't wait to see all the stuff I've been missing.