Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   LOVE, crumbsroom (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64775)

crumbsroom 09-10-21 06:04 PM

LOVE, crumbsroom

As previously threatened in my other thread, I'm going to make a space to air out some of the writing I've done over the course of this pandemic. Making things public is mostly a trick I use to be able to consider something complete and move on, but any all criticism or encouragement is welcome if you have something to add. Also, anyone who is looking for a place to dump their own creative projects and (if wanted) get feedback, feel free.

I've also, for some time, wanted to make a thread that exclusively deals only with things from the art world I LOVE. There is no room for the goods or the okay's here. Only what I have made a special place in my heart for. This may entail anything regarding music, painting, film or movies. I will try and write and general overview of why my love is warranted, which will then create an ecosystem of my deepest influences, and the chum that I churn out under the hope some of their talent has rubbed off on my over the years.

It will be a thread I only very sporadically post in, but I'm just creating this space now so it is here when I am taken with the spirit.

Rockatansky 09-10-21 07:23 PM

I, too, love Crumbsroom.

Proceed.

mark f 09-10-21 07:33 PM

Has he cleaned it lately?

crumbsroom 09-10-21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2237736)
I, too, love Crumbsroom.

Proceed.

I've fooled another one!

*diabolical laugh*

*pees pants*

crumbsroom 09-10-21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 2237740)
Has he cleaned it lately?

It's less a place than a state of mind.

And, no.

Rockatansky 09-10-21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2237744)
*pees pants*
There's the Crumbsroom we know and love.

SpelingError 09-10-21 07:59 PM

Re: LOVE, crumbsroom

I'll love crumbsroom the day he praises James Wan. Until then, we'll be sworn enemies.

crumbsroom 09-10-21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2237751)
I'll love crumbsroom the day he praises James Wan. Until then, we'll be sworn enemies.

One of the things I LOVE are farts. Just imagine those being blown into James Wan's face.

crumbsroom 09-10-21 09:34 PM

YOU DIE ON YOUR BIRTHDAY

When you’re born in December, everyone is older. Even in kindergarten you can be the youngest.

They all looked at me when my grandmother brought me to class. When I kicked the teacher in the mouth. I could only be sure they stopped looking when I snuck out the door and followed all the gates I remembered passing on the way here. All the way home. Doing it backwards somehow makes it work. So great when I recognize the house I live in. I can see it, still faraway, but walkable. A haunted crabapple tree on the front lawn as usual. Shedding caterpillars as I walk beneath it.

I sneak into the basement with the cardboard boxes and find hockey cards. Hear my grandmother washing dishes upstairs as I read statistics on the back that I don’t understand. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hockey game before.

Upstairs the phone rings and my grandmother answers the phone. She says I’m not here, but when she hangs up, she comes into the basement and finds me caught beneath all these shadows.

I’m pretty sure I had a Gretzky rookie card down there. I have a good memory and can remember these sorts of things. It would be worth a fortune now. I sometimes mention it to my grandmother, but she denies I ever brought anything of value back from my mother. Gets angry. Calls me a liar if I don’t drop the subject. But I know she throws things out. Lots of things. I used to believe her when she said she didn’t. But she does. You can never tell what will be next.

She took me upstairs and told me everything would be fine. Brought me back to school. On that first day. Screaming, I’m sure.

The teacher covered her mouth as she pulled my legs back inside, again.

Or that would have been the smart thing for her to do.

crumbsroom 09-10-21 10:21 PM

To this day, I still love all five of the first songs I ever remember hearing

Chronologically!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGDzbV75EI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEOl38y8Nj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47YAcpCa5dM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANhU4AcK04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgnRDBp3JPA

crumbsroom 09-10-21 11:28 PM

MY UNCLE, THE VAMPIRE (part 1)

Looking up at my Uncle Evan that first time, I thought his hair might be an avalanche. It seemed any loud noise might send it all tumbling down on top of me. He had grown it long, but instead of loosely hanging down to his shoulders, it grew sideways and levitated above them. Wherever he could, he had tucked it behind his ears, as if this fastened it to his scalp. But whatever hadn’t been tied down, stuck straight out into space. A ledge of ominous hair, casting a shadow down upon me. Trembling at the slightest motion. Black enough to have been rinsed in coal dust, and yet filled with cracks where light from the lamp behind him brightly shone through it. My eyes were drawn towards this light, to these empty spaces where pieces of it had already come loose. I got the sense I should have been looking elsewhere.

Introducing himself to me, he wanted to know how old I was.

"You’re getting older all the time.”

He said this as if it were something I could bring a stop to but for some reason hadn’t. When I answered his question, he said four was a very good age. Better than most. It was always better to be young than old. And he should know. While most people thought he was only twenty-six, he was much older. “I’m actually turning one hundred and fourteen this year. I’m a vampire.”

He wanted to make sure I knew this meant he would never age. But even more importantly, that very soon, much sooner than I could ever believe, I would catch up to him. I probably didn’t think this was possible, and he insisted I should continue believing that as long as I could, but he insisted it was true. One day we would be the same age, then not long after this, I would be even older. Older than he would ever be.

But until that day, he would keep making sure to ask me my age whenever he visited. Then be sure to laugh at me a little louder every year. It seemed to delight him this idea that I would one day begin to wrinkle and turn humpbacked, while he would always look exactly as he did now. His hair always a hovering threat above me.

He was not ashamed of being a vampire as I would have expected. In fact, because of his predicament, it had instead become the responsibility of the rest of our family to adjust to his habits. Never the other way around. Behavior that would have been inexcusable by any other one of us, was to be expected from him.

But most bothersome to my grandmother was his dismissal of basic etiquette, and how as a vampire he could never be trusted to be on time when visiting us. No matter how early he and my Aunt Cathy were expected, they almost never appeared before dusk. If even the faintest trace of daylight remained in the sky as they pulled up in front of our house, Evan would be forced to scurry furiously across our lawn to get himself inside as quickly as possible. Nearly kick down the door in his escape from the sunlight.

This rattle of our front door bursting open was always how we knew we were now among the undead. And with the clatter of their boots stomping towards the kitchen, they would soon demanding the dinner that had been sitting in the oven all these house waiting for them. This was of utmost importance. As he was always sure to say at some point, the quicker he ate, the quicker he could go home.

“You’ve gotten older, haven’t you?” he would say to me as he took his place at the dining room table. Because he never took off his sunglasses, not even when he was about to eat Christmas dinner, I could not see his eyes. Only the smile that slowly came creeping across his face. “I warned you about that, didn’t I?”

It was true. Every year I did feel older. And just as he promised, he always was quick to claim how he still looked exactly the same. Which he mostly did. Except for his avalanche of hair, which seemed to be shrinking with every visit. With more and more of it now tucked behind his ears, and less and less seeming like any kind of threat to the safety of those standing beneath him, I tried not to look at it as he made a point of laughing at me. I was getting to the age where I would have felt bad to see anymore of it shake lose. Drift harmlessly down onto the mashed potatoes he had begun to pile upon his plate.

And as I took my Christmas dinner with me to eat in front of the television by myself, I just let him keep laughing about what an old thing I was turning out to be. Being that he was a vampire, you came to expect these sorts of things.

Jinnistan 09-11-21 01:45 PM

I guess I missed my opportunity for an editorial preview.

Jinnistan 09-11-21 01:51 PM

I thought about the first few songs I ever heard for about 30 seconds before realizing what an impossible task that is. I got my copy of JL/POB when I was 13, so not that one. "Nap time for lil' crumb, let's put on that lullabye about mommy and daddy abandoning him."

crumbsroom 09-11-21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2237884)
I guess I missed my opportunity for an editorial preview.

I still have stuff I'm not so likely to share on a public forum. And those are not as easy to let go of.

crumbsroom 09-11-21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2237885)
I thought about the first few songs I ever heard for about 30 seconds before realizing what an impossible task that is. I got my copy of JL/POB when I was 13, so not that one. "Nap time for lil' crumb, let's put on that lullabye about mommy and daddy abandoning him."

As a child, I only remember that one song from that album. I don't recall the first time I heard "Mother" though. Only that my aunt used to talk with great hostility about that particular song because she didn't want to imagine John Lennon as a whiny, suckhole. Of course her discouragement was all I needed to start compulsively listening to it (probably also around 13). It gave me the courage to become my own brand of whiny, suckhole.

Regarding "Remember", I have a feeling I first came into contact with it right after John Lennon was murdered. I had no idea who he was. Barely even knew who the Beatles were at that time. I just have memories of my father playing it over and over again, and him telling me about what had happened to the guy singing the song. As he did this, I would look intently at the childhood picture of Lennon that is on the back of the record cover. Imagine that kid pounding on the door to his home. No one answering. Being shot. The sound of an explosion at the song's conclusion always felt more than fitting. It seemed to capture the volatility and fear I felt listening to it.

Jinnistan 09-11-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2237890)
I don't recall the first time I heard "Mother" though. Only that my aunt used to talk with great hostility about that particular song because she didn't want to imagine John Lennon as a whiny, suckhole.
What? It's not like it's "Working Class Hero" ;). "Mother" is a very brave song, I think, the opposite of whiny. There's some other Lennon cuts that would qualify as self-indulgent whining, but not that one.

You may have heard the National Lampoon parody of Lennon around this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrMEEN6WxM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2237890)
Regarding "Remember", I have a feeling I first came into contact with it right after John Lennon was murdered. I had no idea who he was. Barely even knew who the Beatles were at that time. I just have memories of my father playing it over and over again, and him telling me about what had happened to the guy singing the song. As he did this, I would look intently at the childhood picture of Lennon that is on the back of the record cover. Imagine that kid pounding on the door to his home. No one answering. Being shot. The sound of an explosion at the song's conclusion always felt more than fitting. It seemed to capture the volatility and fear I felt listening to it.
Thankully (I guess) I had some familiarity. When my parents gave me their mono 60s records, for my Fischer Price turntable, I was already a big fan of Meet The Beatles, plus "Just Like Starting Over" was on the radio a lot at the time, and my parents were talking about how great it was that he had finally gotten a hold of his issues and was working again. They had bought Double Fantasy before the murder. It was really strange, but it's weirder how this kind of shooting was so much in the culture at the time. This was right around the same time that "Who Shot J.R.?" was a huge deal, and Reagan and the Pope were shot within months. Plus, there was Buckwheat, perhaps the most tragic shooting of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDToc8CsOE

crumbsroom 09-11-21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2237901)
What? It's not like it's "Working Class Hero" ;). "Mother" is a very brave song, I think, the opposite of whiny. There's some other Lennon cuts that would qualify as self-indulgent whining, but not that one.

You may have heard the National Lampoon parody of Lennon around this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrMEEN6WxM

Thankully (I guess) I had some familiarity. When my parents gave me their mono 60s records, for my Fischer Price turntable, I was already a big fan of Meet The Beatles, plus "Just Like Starting Over" was on the radio a lot at the time, and my parents were talking about how great it was that he had finally gotten a hold of his issues and was working again. They had bought Double Fantasy before the murder. It was really strange, but it's weirder how this kind of shooting was so much in the culture at the time. This was right around the same time that "Who Shot J.R.?" was a huge deal, and Reagan and the Pope were shot within months. Plus, there was Buckwheat, perhaps the most tragic shooting of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDToc8CsOE

My aunt is someone who is all about surrounding herself with art she thinks is 'cool'. She could give a toss about emotions.

A song that is all about showing vulnerability, to such ears, just sounds like someone crying for their mother. Such an uncool thing to do.

This is the only artistic calculation going on in that head of hers.

Also, if it gives perspective, my aunt unironicallt wears a beret (no, no one in the family has yet told her it smells like cat piss)

Jinnistan 09-11-21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2237906)
My aunt is someone who is all about surrounding herself with art she thinks is 'cool'. She could give a toss about emotions.

A song that is all about showing vulnerability, to such ears, just sounds like someone crying for their mother. Such an uncool thing to do.
Oh, she probably really liked "Working Class Hero" then :( Btw, Lennon was never working class (although his natural parents were), and the whole "if you want to be a hero just follow me" is him at his most self-righteous and narcissistic. One of the fascinating things about the album is how suddenly it oscillates between his aggrandizing and deprecating impulses. You see this throughout his interviews as well.

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2237906)
Also, if it gives perspective, my aunt unironicallt wears a beret (no, no one in the family has yet told her it smells like cat piss)
That's actually the very expensive Chanel #1, Eau le Pew.

crumbsroom 09-12-21 02:55 PM

Impressionists are king. The beginning of nearly everything that matters. With their undisguised brushstrokes, they allow us to see the work of the artist. The physicality of painting. Turn the canvas not only into an obviously artificial artifact, but in doing so, turn our gaze inward to the passions and struggles of the artist. The common becomes extraordinary. Light and composition and line become a reflection of internal temperment, not external contours. The mystery living inside everything becomes revealed. And is immediately obscured. The beautiful contradictions are endless in impressionism.

Degas is King of the Impressionists. Particularly obsessed with documenting the lives of artists, it is the in-between moments which he chooses to paint them which add a disquieting effect into the work. Ballerina's frozen just before they hit their pose, inelegant, cramped, sometimes seeming pained or frightened. They often stand upon darkened stages where they seem to be shedding the colour the emit. It slips off them like grease as they are illuminated. Also, just check out his use of perspective and composition. He frequently paints from a vantage point which make rooms seem impossibly large, dwarfing the performances. Makes them almost tremble as if intimidated by so much space surrounding them.

While still somewhat tethered to some of the more traditionally classic approaches of the painter, Degas somehow also seems ahead of the pack of his decidedly more avant-garde brethren. In many ways, he seems to predate surrealists. Showing us something commonplace, and yet there is always something beneath the surface that makes us feel uneasy. Something is wrong. Nothing is as beautiful as it should be. And yet, I keep staring, as if I'm falling in love with something beneath the paint.

I love Degas

crumbsroom 09-12-21 03:01 PM

THE GOOD PARTS OF SHANNA LEE

As an early riser, the sun was always the first to see Shanna Lee pull herself from her blankets, move towards the mirror, and check to see if her beauty had survived the night. Being the prettiest girl in Salt Seeall, the morning could not help but tilt all its influence into her bedroom window in hopes of waking her before any of the others. At times, it would even come to her suspiciously early, and she would almost feel she was being watched as she went through her daily preparations of combing her hair, rouging her cheeks, plumping her eyelashes and powdering her nose. It turned out that no matter how tightly she bundled her curtains shut, the sunlight would always find a way in to help make her beautiful.

When Shanna Lee could not be made beautiful though, she would be bedridden. The light that continued to fill her room would only make crawling back beneath the covers unavoidable. Even in the dark, where it was easy to convince herself that at least some parts of her must have still been beautiful, the risk of sunlight remained too great. On days like this, when there was no way of telling what parts were better than others, it was always easier to just wait for the day to leave the room, and the night to fill it. Maybe tomorrow she would be prettier.

One could never tell how Shanna Lee would feel about how she looked any given morning. It never seemed to correspond with how beautiful she actually was. But on the day the chimpanzee got loose, and went rampaging up and down her street, there had been encouraging signs that this should have been a good day. She had just been about to come out her front door, allow herself to be seen by any stranger who looked her way, when the animal jumped on top of her. It was a terrifying sight. Pulled to the ground and held there by the longest and hairiest arms that had ever dared touch her, her screams hardly contained words. And as the hands of the animal took a hold of those most delicate features, they showed themselves quite easy to stir about and ruin, as pretty things almost always are.

By the time the beast had been shot and killed, all Shanna Lee wanted was to be taken inside, where the comfort of being back beneath her blankets would maybe stop her sudden ugliness from hurting so. She could feel the warmth of the sun laying upon her face differently. Could no longer sense what part of it she was supposed to look out of, or what part she was meant to scream from. After the animal let go, nothing had gone back to where it was supposed to. Not as she’d expected. Instead, she could sense everything slipping further and further out of place as she lay there on her front stoop, vulnerable to the looks of anyone passing by.

Because she was dying, she did not have time to get the name of the man who finally came to carry her back inside to bed. Sitting next to her, he did not speak of what happened to her face, or how much of its beauty remained stuck to those powerful fingers of the monkey lying dead outside. Instead, he talked only of all the pieces of her it never had the pleasure to touch, and that he assured her had been kept as beautiful as ever.

In these final moments of her life, Shanna Lee found herself consoled by this stranger who spoke of how pleasing many of her surviving contours still were to him. Listening from somewhere within this terrible and misshapen lump, she found herself wanting only to be inside the parts of her still worth touching. Where she could feel his fingers as he talked. These were the good parts that deserved to be kept separately from this awful thing that, as she now lay helpless upon her death bed, still dared to keep itself attached to her. She could feel its unwanted weight upon her pillow. Heavy and damp with blood. Now little more than a strange shape not even she dared to touch, frightened her fingers may begin to understand just how badly she now looked.

She still didn’t know his name as her dying wishes tumbled from what was left of her mouth. She pleaded to him that this awful head of hers never be buried with the rest of her. That the moment she passed, he remove it as quickly as he could, and put it into some cold, tiny place beneath the ground. Somewhere far away. Alone. Forgotten. A place where none of the tears that would soon be shed for her, and none of the flowers that would one day be laid upon her grave, would ever be for it.

He listened to what she asked, quietly. But it was only once he had managed to find a suitable tool in a kitchen drawer, and she had given him permission to continue holding her hand as he patiently waited for her to grow still, that he agreed to what she asked of him. And once this arrangement had been made, he did not utter another word until she died.

crumbsroom 09-12-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2237915)
Oh, she probably really liked "Working Class Hero" then :(

I don't know how much she liked it, but she did say "At least Working Class Hero was okay".

It's almost like you see right through her. Do you happen to know people who store their beret's too close to the litter box too?

Jinnistan 09-12-21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2238124)
It's almost like you see right through her. Do you happen to know people who store their beret's too close to the litter box too?
It's like half the girls I dated in college. Tip your waitress.

I don't want to derail your thread by talking about music. But I do sense a strong, let's say, primal quality in your writing here. The fact that much of it is set in your childhood is part of it, but the most illuminating aspect is in how much your writing seems to evoke a certain dream-like quality of memory, as opposed to actual memory. For example, my grandparents have lived in the same house since 1965, so in other words well before I was born. I've lived in a number of houses before I was an adult. My grandparents' house is a totem of stability for me, it's always been there, more or less without any radical change over the years. Is it a coincidence that I frequently dream of my grandparents' house? I dream of all of my homes in various states, usually in some concoction. Wak from one room to the next, and be in a different blueprint, the yards are never quite congruent. You know, typical dream distortion. But my grandparents' house is usually pretty faithful in integrity. But different, in dream-like ways. The people I've known show up differently in these ways, mingle in these ways. Sometimes I'm not always sure who they are. But there they are, chiding me for revealingly personal reasons, feeding into emotions that may not be clear until I'm pondering them in the shower the next morning.

Anyway, these things (and I'm complimenting here) seem to be reflected in your writing, a kind of personally palpable but somewhat cartoonish ballooning of the reality at hand. Or foot. The extremities don't much matter.

crumbsroom 09-13-21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2238184)
It's like half the girls I dated in college. Tip your waitress.

I don't want to derail your thread by talking about music. But I do sense a strong, let's say, primal quality in your writing here. The fact that much of it is set in your childhood is part of it, but the most illuminating aspect is in how much your writing seems to evoke a certain dream-like quality of memory, as opposed to actual memory. For example, my grandparents have lived in the same house since 1965, so in other words well before I was born. I've lived in a number of houses before I was an adult. My grandparents' house is a totem of stability for me, it's always been there, more or less without any radical change over the years. Is it a coincidence that I frequently dream of my grandparents' house? I dream of all of my homes in various states, usually in some concoction. Wak from one room to the next, and be in a different blueprint, the yards are never quite congruent. You know, typical dream distortion. But my grandparents' house is usually pretty faithful in integrity. But different, in dream-like ways. The people I've known show up differently in these ways, mingle in these ways. Sometimes I'm not always sure who they are. But there they are, chiding me for revealingly personal reasons, feeding into emotions that may not be clear until I'm pondering them in the shower the next morning.

Anyway, these things (and I'm complimenting here) seem to be reflected in your writing, a kind of personally palpable but somewhat cartoonish ballooning of the reality at hand. Or foot. The extremities don't much matter.

Thanks for the feedback. I think primal is, at least partly, what I'm going for here. I've spent a lot of years sort of aping the very deliberate paragraph constructions of guys like Dickens or Thomas Wolfe, and while I like that kind of writing, and I find trying to write like that an ever intriguing kind of puzzle of how to make everything fit together, it seemed to be diffusing any kind of emotional directness I was going for. Ever since the pandemic though, I've slowly been trying to limit these influences. I've been deliberately erasing more and more connective tissue between sentences, not worrying so much about everything being tonally the same, embraced the notion that sometimes the reader might not know where they are. These are things that go against every instinct I have, but I think the over all affect is better, regardless of whatever other limitations they bring about.

I also had hoped a certain dreamy quality would materialize as a result of this, since I don't want too many of my descriptions to be too concrete. I want them to be floating in space somewhat, with some amount of work being required of the reader to assemble them. I think this has to do with the unreliable quality of memory (which I'm obviously working through here). But also, allows me to sneak in exagerrations and fabrications that probably clearly aren't true, but that I want to be accepted as seeming true enough.

I think this overwhelming tendency I have towards articulating dream states is strongly related to my own personal issues, mostly in my past, where I felt extremely detached from my own life. Much of my teen years were spent dealing with depersonalization disorder, which creates the pretty awful sensation of not even living inside of your own body. You end up watching your own life as a passive observer. While these episodes have seemed to have long passed, the effect it had on my way of relating with reality, was probably permanently altered. So for there to be any truth to my writing during these years, a certain detachment is necessary.

All in all, everything you wrote is important to hear. Appreciate.

Jinnistan 09-13-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2238304)
I also had hoped a certain dreamy quality would materialize as a result of this, since I don't want too many of my descriptions to be too concrete. I want them to be floating in space somewhat, with some amount of work being required of the reader to assemble them. I think this has to do with the unreliable quality of memory (which I'm obviously working through here). But also, allows me to sneak in exagerrations and fabrications that probably clearly aren't true, but that I want to be accepted as seeming true enough.
The mythology of memory, which I feel is what the purpose of dreaming is all about, translating these experiences into sublimated archetypes. These myths can be far more revealing of "truth" than a more precisely accurate account of factual details.

Unfortunately, it's been a couple of years since I've been unable to discuss Jungian psycholgy without getting pestered about Jordan Peterson's feeble misunderstandings of the subject. :rolleyes:

Keep it up :up:

crumbsroom 09-13-21 02:29 PM

THERE’S NO GOD ANYWHERE, ESPECIALLY DOWN HERE

The girl who pushed Tony Ruda teeth first into the water fountain was the first one I remember telling I didn’t believe in God. Her bowl cut hung into her eyes. Her eyes stared at me like a cat watching a television.

She didn’t believe me and neither did any of her friends sitting on the floor with her. They shook their heads and insisted I must. Everyone believed, they said. They even got our teacher to come out into the hallway and tell me it wasn’t possible. Ms. Wallington. The deep wrinkles of her face clenching all the bible verses she’d memorized close to her skull. She could feel them lodged in there like crumbs when she moved her mouth to frown down at me. Explained how I did believe in God after all, I just didn’t know it yet. Then she went back into the classroom, leaving me with these girls laughing at me and calling me a liar. Telling me I was going to Hell for what I had said. As I walked away, I kicked one of Tony Ruda’s teeth down the hall. The sound of it just as tiny as I imagined God to be.

During recess, I stood on a park bench half buried in snow and looked out at everyone huddling against the cold, hobbled in galoshes, slipping and cracking their knees on the glistening ice. From far away, their struggle seemed much too lonesome for God to notice them all. But I stood watching them for a long time. Found myself shivering along with those who’d been left to perish unsaved in their snowsuits. Just like me.

Jumping to the ground I took a handful of snow, and packing it tightly between my mittens, began using it to write on the red brick wall of the school. One simple word to draw them near. Written only in lowercase letters, but big enough for them to be read from far away. I let it glitter in the winter sunlight long enough for them to crowd around, and when they began to ask why I had written God on the wall, I knew what I had to do. With two violent strokes of my arm, I crossed it out. Told them to forget everything they’d ever heard about him. Soon he would melt from the wall and wouldn’t matter to any of us anymore.

And so commenced the first ever meeting of The No God Anywhere Club. Membership was limited only to those who would step forward and join me at the wall. Grab themselves a handful of snow and get their fingers cold with blasphemy. But as I stood waiting, it seemed those I had been calling to me had not made it across the howling tundra of the schoolyard. My fellow disbelievers had all sunk beneath the snow without a trace. Leaving me to be stared at by only those with faces like angry Gods. All of them now close enough to begin hurling enormous chunks of ice at my head.

As this winter shrapnel began exploding all around me, I ducked. Felt the sensation of melted snow running down the back of my winter jacket. Bits of parking-lot asphalt became caught in my collar, against my bare neck, and stung cold like lost teeth thawed loose from the snow. When recess ended, only my best friend Garrett remained with me as everyone else went back inside. They were all content to leave the heretic I’d become collapsed in a snowbank.

“I was outnumbered. I didn’t have a chance. God has already got to them all.” My words were mumbled. I hardly expected them to be heard.

Garrett didn’t care, one way or the other. He was still under the impression he would live forever, and so shrugged at my insistence that there was nothing after death. He was similarly unmotivated to encourage any hopes regarding the future of the No God Anywhere Club. When I asked who might ever join, instead of volunteering himself, he brought my attention to Tony Ruda, who had spent his recess inside with the teachers, applying paper towel to his toothless mouth. When I pointed out I had once caught him praying by himself in the boy’s washroom, Garrett offered Chloe up for my consideration. While he couldn’t speak for anyone else’s dog, he didn’t think Cocker Spaniels were a particularly religious breed, and so maybe I could have her as an honorary member.

“Or something”, he said with a shrug and a shiver, indicating he was ready to go back inside.

As I sat at my desk later that day, still wet from the slush of melted ice that had infiltrated my parka, I realized I was alone. And even worse than this, everyone surrounding me was now possessed with the divine purpose to shove snow in my face as soon as the school day ended. As the clang of the school bell rang out, I could feel all of their eyes turn to me. And with the heavy hands of a condemned man, I slowly pulled my snowpants back on, preparing myself for whatever punishment would greet me beneath that cold and Godless winter sky.

I could hardly expect my townhouse friends to be any more understanding. Tough, mean kids, all of them, they went to the Catholic school at the other end of town and believed in God deeply. Sometimes would even talk about him during their crimes. While harassing the balding, old woman in unit 17. Or when climbing trees and spying through the windows of neighbours.

“I hope last night everyone prayed for naked girls”, they would confer between each other, as they dangled from branches.

They assumed I went to church every Sunday just like they did and I didn’t dare tell them otherwise. They had never even considered the possibility that someone might not believe. Sometimes they even made me go into closets with them to pray and all I could do was kneel next to them and pretend I knew the words they were muttering. Tell them I thought God had been listening, even though I knew he wasn’t.

“Isn’t Jesus the best”, they would say, thumping me on the shoulder. Then, because they were all much bigger than me, they would want to go upstairs to the bedroom and wrestle. Throw me headfirst off the bed into the corner of a dresser. I would crumple on the carpet. Touch my hair and see my hand come back bloody. I’d look up to see them trying to lure me back to the mattress they stood upon triumphantly, ready for another round.

“Hey, David, get back up here, we’re not done with you”

“But...I’m bleeding”

“Chicken goes buk buk buk buk buk

That would be when I told them about monsters. Usually, one I had seen in a neighbor's window on the way over. It was the only thing I could say which would interfere with their need to toss me into furniture. They would grow quiet and seem anxious. Tell me they didn’t believe in monsters. That I was just as bad a liar as I was a wrestler.

When the Gazardzik Brothers inevitably demanded I swear to God that what I had said was true, I would do so eagerly. Over and over again and as loudly as they needed me to prove it. And with every new detail I thought to add to my story, I would swear to God all over again. Swear that this monsters face had turned into a puddle of blood. That its eyes popped out and rolled down its cheek and its mouth was full of cobwebs. How it had even said both of their names before disappearing into the shadows.

As they grew increasingly worried, I would even show them my hands to prove I hadn’t been crossing my fingers to protect myself. Would let them follow me outside where I would look up at the sky, right at the cloud where they had told me Heaven was, and mouth the words ‘****’ over and over.

“We believe you, we believe you,” they would cry out, scrambling to get me to stop. Pin me to the ground. And I would begin to laugh, now knowing that along with God and the Devil, they now had to contend with whatever monster I had just made them believe in. A monster I could make exactly as bad as I wanted it to be. Because they thought I was on God’s side. Just like them.

At bedtime, my grandmother would always watch to make sure I didn’t pray before I fell asleep. Sitting in a chair at the end of my bed, she would wait for the nightmares sure to come. She alone would protect me from them. There was no need for me to bring God into it.

I never said anything to her about how all those scruffy kids from the townhouse were into wrestling and Jesus. Or that Ms. Wallington read the Bible to us in class, and always locked eyes with me when she spoke of King David. I didn’t want to give her reason to look too closely at me laying there beneath my covers. I could still remember the disappointment in her eyes when I told her about the time my mother took me to church. Held me in a pew and told me about how demons get into little boys. Splashed holy water into my face, scooped it down the collar of my shirt.

“And how’d that bit of nonsense make you feel?”, she asked from her place at the end of the bed, leaning forward, the chair beneath her wooden and old.

“I didn’t feel any different,” I answered. “It made me wet.”

“Well, I hope you remember that next time she tries to spill something on you.”

I said I would. I closed my eyes. Bad dreams were already there, even though I could still hear the creak of my grandmother’s chair as she leaned back into it. Even when dreaming I knew she was still there with me. Always willing to wait until I had settled into my sleep. Wait until my legs stopped kicking at the long arms and long fingers I believed were reaching out for me. Until my lips stopped moving and I was no longer pleading with my nightmares. She would not go anywhere until she was sure I was out of danger.

Then, when everything grew still, she would slowly get up. And even though I was asleep, I could always tell when she finally walked out of my room. Leaving me feeling like a small shape in a big bed. In an even bigger house. Somewhere in the center of an enormous amount of nothing.

crumbsroom 09-14-21 03:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugyq_IOn09A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouoQ1DIVi2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Q4bB9XXrs

Simple songs that sound like they were recorded next to a sink full of dirty dishes. Simple lyrics that seem transcribed from the forgotten scribbles on the back of a barroom coaster. There is a looseness to the cuts on this record that allow any of its songs to never be treated as a sacred text. Never so committed to any one vision that they can't be littered with non-sequiters, inside jokes, outright nonsense, pithy observations and existential dread if you suddenly start not taking any of this seriously. There is a sense of camaraderie and endlessly discovery in the sound of this record. It's both warm and standoffish. Perfection that never showed up for rehearsal.

Have Moicy further instilled in me the notion that great art does not need to be fastened to a gallery wall. It can be a domestic and private thing. Something to do in the empty spaces between cigarettes. And no less profound or immortal because of it.

crumbsroom 09-14-21 09:07 PM

UNCLE JOHN TALKS OF MY FUTURE UPON THE HIGH SEAS

As I get tangled in my fishing line, he tells me I will never be a real fisherman. If anyone can foretell my fate upon the briny waves of Lake Otter, it is my Uncle John. He knows what it takes to kill a living thing.

Only just days ago, he bashed out the brains of a porcupine he found dying on the side of the road. And before this, much to my Aunt Andrea’s displeasure, he has disappeared untold numbers of cats he suspected of peeing on their rug.

He can tell I am not like him, though. Pulling out a small pocketknife, he does not look happy as he moves to the back of the boat to cut me loose from the disgrace I’ve made of my fishing rod. “You’ll never be a fisherman”, he says again, as if he thinks this is the most terrible thing he could ever say to a boy my age.

I have no reason to disagree with him. It hardly matters since I don’t want to catch any more fish, anyways. It's become clear to me there are bad things to be found in this lake and it seems I have the kind of lures that attract the worst of them. On the first night I caught something, and no one was sure what it even was. It was long and black and everyone had been afraid to touch it. The sort of thing that made us think twice about believing this was a good place for families to swim.

Holding what I’d just caught as far away from me as I could, I didn’t know what to do with it as I stood on the rocks. Everyone was motionless as they watched it twitch in the open air, dripping with slime. I waited for someone to take it off the hook for me. Throw it back into the lake where I had found it. I had been excited all week to catch a fish, and now that I had, I didn’t want to even look at it.

Uncle John had been no help. He just wanted to kill it. He stood on the beach, drinking from his can of beer and talking about how angry it looked. Laughing, that it might bite me if I didn’t watch out. Suggested I should smash it on the rocks as hard as I could before it got the chance. Then, once it was dead, he could show me how to cut out all its insides. This is what he came with us to the cottage to do. To make me plead for him not to kill things.

I told him I didn’t want to do that. Instead, I waited for my father, who I could see slowly approaching, and who I knew would not kill it. He had put his cigarette into his mouth to free his hands and was now reaching towards me. Even after its razor-sharp gills sliced open his thumb, he still was gentle as he lifted it from the hook, and threw it back into the water.

I could remember watching my father bleed all over the rocks, as Uncle John made fun of us for letting it escape. He thought it might have been edible and we should have at least tried to cook it on the barbecue along with that evenings hamburgers and hotdogs. He would eat almost anything that gave him half the chance. But we had let it get away. Just as I would let everything I caught that week get away.

The worse they looked, the faster I wanted to put them back in the water. Even the fish I had blinded, whose eye I had seen dangling from the end of my hook, and who my father said would never survive. We had let it go, even though its eye had stayed with us on the rock we fished from, and I could see it stuck there, drying under the sun. It seemed as if it was looking at me whenever I thought of this poor fish under the water, swimming in circles forever.

Uncle John had eventually become fed up with the thought of all these fish he had been deprived of eating, and early one morning, rowed me out into the middle of the lake where I couldn’t escape from his efforts to make me a man. He said this was the place where all the good fish were. The ones that were too big to throw back.

But I did not want to fish anymore. I was finished. After casting my line out into the water, I let it unspool. I just sat watching as it tangled around my arms and legs and the bucket of tackle we kept at the bottom of the boat. He begun to curse as soon as he saw what I'd done. Grew angrier and angrier as he was forced to come towards me and cut yet another pitiful thing loose from my fishing line. He realized he had no choice but to set me free, even if I would never become a real fisherman.

Jinnistan 09-15-21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2238551)
Grrreat rrrrecorrrd.

My favorite from the family is Michael Hurley's Armchair Boogie, which is a hard one to come by. I was lucky enough to find a copy in a pawn shop a long time ago. A couple of the better songs were later covered by Cat Power, who obviously must have a copy as well. I've long felt a sister-kin affection for Miss Chan, and this is one of our many shared joys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiwgCYwCgaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrXILq-3VB4

crumbsroom 09-15-21 12:29 PM

Are athletes artists? Maybe, maybe not, but who cares. While I don't particularly relish watching people get punched in the head (it always gets in the way of my almost primal love of boxing), the fact that it was not only the fists of Ali which stirred peoples souls, but his words and his convictions and his personality and his grace and his unorthodox talent, allows room for him to be considered as something more than just a boxer. And I'm fine calling him an artist.

Ali shaped the way I believe a human can manifest themselves. If I ever aspire towards greatness (don't worry, I won't) he is the template for how a mind, body and spirit can commingle and rise towards becoming a living myth. Something that is almost impossible to properly articulate. I can watch him dancing in a ring. I can listen to him **** talk an opponent. I can just let him stare fiercely through a camera towards any and all who doubt him. Pick any moment from his life, and if witnessed, I can feel that spirit of his deep in my bones. There is something almost supernatural about him. A high watermark for humankind. As vital a symbol of American greatness as any founding father.

Does any of this mean he was a model of perfection, or without his legitimate controversies? Of course not. A quick skim of his history might find some statements we cringe at. Behaviour that is unbecoming. But much like the notion that there can be no such thing as bravery without fear, I do not believe a hero can ever really be a hero unless they are searching. And searching implies they are not there yet. But at least they are moving. Are not settling for their imperfections. And thank god for those imperfections, since it will be those very flaws which ground a hero to the rest of humanity. Without them they would have long floated away without us having noticed they were one of us too.

So, for those who take issue with Ali's less than ideal moments, have fun searching for someone better. I've already got The Greatest in my corner. And the greatest is just about good enough for me.

Rockatansky 09-15-21 01:23 PM

Ebert's interview with Ali is a good read.

https://www.rogerebert.com/interview...h-muhammad-ali

crumbsroom 09-15-21 04:22 PM

THE UNTAMED TREES OF HENRY HOOLIGAN

There was no telling what the trees on Henry Hooligan’s yard had been up to. They’d always been big and rather mean looking, and so when unpleasant things started happening all up and down Crowder’s Street, there was good reason to be suspicious.

During the evenings, the sound of windshields being smashed could be heard. Car alarms would go off but no one went to their windows out of fear of what sort of things they’d see. In the morning, as early risers crept out onto their front lawns to survey the damage, they found that nothing in the cars had been stolen. When they opened up their glove compartments, handfuls of acorns rolled out onto the floor.

Women also began to have a terrible time as they walked down Crowder’s Street. They would often find their skirts catching on errant branches that hung over Hooligan’s fence. As they fought to free themselves, their skirts lifting higher and higher, the birds that lived up in the trees would begin to whistle wildly.

Children began to claim that, when up in their branches, the trees would start to shake as if to be rid of them. As they fell, baby birds would sometimes fall alongside them on their way to the ground. Screaming at the pain of their broken bones the children would find themselves unable to stop staring at the small grey featherless bodies that lay dead next to them.

Over time other trees, smaller trees, soon left the neighbourhood. Every day there seemed to be less of them. It wasn’t long before new trees soon began coming to Crowder’s Street to replace them. No one knew where they came from but there they would suddenly be in the mornings, looking strange and out of place. Their roots would hardly be tucked properly into the ground and jutted up out of the earth, eager to trip those that passed by.

These new trees, while never at large as Hooligan’s, were nevertheless intimidating enough to cast their own black cloud over the mood of the street. They were wrinkled old ugly trees, and were always hunched over as if about to scoop up the dead leaves they cast all about the sidewalks. They never did any such thing though. They were thoroughly unhelpful trees.

When people now walked past these villains of Crowder’s Street, they would keep their gaze cast down to at their feet so as not to get caught looking at them. It had become a superstition amongst the neighbours that to look at them in any way suspiciously would bring about bad fortune. When Spencer Turnip-Flatley died one evening in his sleep, it was immediately assumed by the neighbours that he had been caught giving dirty looks to one of the trees. Spencer had always been a rather unhappy, confrontational sort and so would hardly have been able to help himself

As time passed no one saw Henry Hooligan any longer. Occasionally, there would be movement behind the curtains in one of his windows but it was just as likely to be one of the cats who came and went as they pleased through a small hole that had broken open in the foundations of the house. No one knew just how many cats now lived inside of there,

but there were often at least half a dozen sitting up on the roof at all times, peering down over the eaves troughs like gargoyles.

Eventually things came to a head the evening that Henrietta Cowbloom claimed that she had been peeped on while in a state of undress. She had said that the open hollow of a tree trunk had been at her window, and swore that she saw something looking at her from inside of it. A search began the next morning for the tree that was responsible. The culprit was soon found with Henrietta’ initials carved into its bark. It was immediately cut down with an axe.

Over time it soon became public knowledge that Henrietta herself had been the one to carve her initials into the tree. Clancy Bowen had seen her do it the morning that she claimed to be peeped on and had wondered what it was she had been doing. Clancy had never been in love before so he thought it a strange thing to do, spending one’s precious time carving initials into a tree.

To everyone’s relief the terror of Crowder’s street was not to last. When the winter came, the reign of the trees came to an end. They were found the morning of the first snowfall curled up on the lawn, quite dead. The snow fell undisturbed around them.

crumbsroom 09-16-21 04:25 PM

CAT DEATH PICNIC

There is a spot up the road from my grandmother where there aren’t any houses, and it gets me talking about picnics. My grandmother tells me the grass there is too tall and wild for such things. It’s not a place for sandwiches. You don’t want to sit down in grass like that. She lets me eat my lunch in the backyard instead. Peanut butter and crackers and bees in my hair.

Sometimes, she brings me to this place that has no name and we walk together on dirt paths that seem to go in circles. On all sides of us the weeds are taller than both of us. They are the color of sunlight that’s been stepped on and pushed into the dust. A muted golden glow that gets us coughing. We walk in circles. We get burrs caught in the collars of our shirts. Can see the glimmer of puddles through the brush, making sounds like they are swallowing footsteps. Puddles deep enough to drown small dogs.

This is a place where boys who are older than me come with their bikes. Sometimes I look up and see them hovering in the air and wonder how they got there. When they come down, they disappear behind the tall grass. My grandmother says that’s a good way to get yourself killed. I never see the same bike in the air twice. I imagine piles of them on the banks of those dog drowning puddles.

When we leave to go home, I never see anyone else come out. All the bicycles and the boys who came on them stay until the sun goes down and everything gets quiet. Sometimes the noise of traffic slips in and out of the grass, but nothing else makes a sound there. The only things that ever escape, besides me and my grandmother, are the cats who show up on our doorstep every morning asking for milk. My grandmother says they come from there. You can tell because their legs are covered in burrs just like we had once been covered in. Sometimes the cats look mean and unhappy and have scratches across their noses from the claws of other cats. Or possibly from falling off of bicycles like I imagine they may have done in a previous life.

I get sad when I think of how short their lives are too. We’ve had so many of them. Crazy and Fatso and Humphrey and Orangebelly and Pamela and Howard. Most don’t even wait for names before they disappear. They sleep on our couches during the day. We let them out at night. Eventually they don’t come back. They always return to this field with no houses anywhere, as if called by the bodies of the boys they once were. But never making it all the way. Found in the middle of this road I am not allowed to cross on my own. Not moving anymore. Flattened after we fattened them up on tuna.

“Such a dangerous road. A sure way to die”, my grandmother says whenever she sees me looking across the street, towards the field, hoping just once to see a boy with the head of a cat flying up towards the sky on his bicycle. Meowing.

crumbsroom 09-17-21 03:56 PM

FIRST LOVE AT DUMDUM’S

Dum Dum had a daughter, and I suppose this particular story begins with her. She was an unlovable lump of a child. Maple syrup crusted in the bangs of her hair after every breakfast. Her fat belly always being unpleasantly exposed whenever she lifted the hem of her shirt to suck on until it was damp. Her face was a long rectangular canvas of white, buttock-like flesh that was nearly featureless except for the occasional eye, which gave it the illusion that it was looking back at you. Sometimes a nostril, which would seem equally watchful with its lively glisten of snot, gave an eerie sense that it too was observing the world around her. But it was only her mouth which truly seemed to investigate the apartment she rarely left, putting whatever she found within reaching distance against the loll of her tongue. She would drop to the floor and continuing to suck if the taste appealed to her, or move forward to find something better to chew if it did not.

She was a nuisance to everyone who knew her. She had a habit of always running towards anyone sitting nearby, her arms outstretched and looking for a hug that no one wanted to give. It was understood, even by Dum Dum herself, that pushing this child away with a few kicks of the feet was entirely acceptable, since she seemed to enjoy this just as much as proper human contact. She would roll onto her back, laughing hysterically as spit and happy tears lathered her face into a sticky glisten. Sometimes it would appear that she had been hurt after being kicked away. Once she even hit her head on the corner of a coffee table as she fell back. But as everyone stood to see if she was alright, her injury seemed only to have caused a short delay in her eventual mirth, and as she began to giggle, it became clear the tradition of knocking her to the floor could safely continue.

Tammy had been born only months after me, the result of a conspiracy Dum Dum and my mother struck upon as children to get pregnant at the same time. They wanted the two of us to be lifelong friends, just like they had been. It would be forced upon us if necessary, and so much of my childhood would be spent in her company that, when I think back to those days, they are always accompanied by the sound of the farts she carried around with her like a song she couldn’t get out of her head and was always unconsciously humming.

Regardless, we became close. And while she may never have been much of a conversationalist, she had a tremendous closet full of toys, which had piled up over the years, ignored, as Tammy hardly had enough of an imagination to make good use of them. All she ever required for her playtime was a comfortable seat and a bag of sugar to eat from to make herself completely content. But I had set my eyes on them. Would peek into the closet when no one was looking, hoping to find the inspiration I needed to take as many of these toys home with me as I could manage.

Since she wasn’t particularly good at coming up with things to do, it was always up to me to invent games to pass the time. A favourite of ours was a clever inversion on hide and seek I had invented, where Tammy would hide all of her toys about her bedroom, and those that I was able to find, I was allowed to keep. I was very good at this game, and it wasn’t long before my mother had begun to wonder why it was that my suitcase always bulged so heavily whenever we left from one of our visits to Dum-Dum’s. I was too clever to brag about my talents though. She would think that I was taking advantage of this child she called Dum Dum Jr and might have had an issue with how persuasive I could be in getting Tammy to introduce even the most coveted of her toys into the game.

“Come on Tammy, just hide it”, I would coax, “You’re getting better, and if you do a good job, I’ll never be able to find it. Then you’ll be the winner”

I began to look forward to my visits there, especially the plunder I could bring back home with me. But over time I soon realized that it seemed Tammy had been allowing someone else to play our game with her when I wasn’t around. I felt betrayed when I noticed toys I had set my eyes on, vanishing from her room before I had a chance of winning them from her. I would have been angry, if I hadn’t soon met the girl who had taken over this grift of mine. Her name was Dina and I immediately had nothing but forgiveness for this girl who was so pretty, and already so fully developed in her sociopathy.

I had met her one afternoon mid jump from Tammy’s chest of drawers. I had spent that particular day throwing myself from all of the steep furniture in her bedroom to the floor, and as I came plummeting down to the ground from my most daring dive yet, Dina came into the room. She locked eyes with mine just as I crashed with a barely muffled thump into the blankets that I had lain on the floor to break my fall. I did not introduce myself, since I was distracted by hiding the pain in my twisted ankle. I did not want to make a sound as she stared down at me in those first few moments of our meeting, and so did my best to awkwardly smile from the bedsheets I had crumpled into. Realizing that no words were coming from me, she grew bored with my silent grinning and quickly turned to Tammy, immediately accusing her of ****ting her pants at school last week.

“Did not”, Tammy protested between mouthfuls of her shirt.

“Sure, you did. And now only Dougie will sit next to you, and since he also ****s his pants, I guess you two will get along great”. This girl wandered about the room, taking trinkets from her friend’s bookshelves and plastic jewellery from inside of her drawers, stuffing whatever she could into the pockets of her jeans. It seemed she had evolved into a spectacularly unapologetic thief, one who clearly had no need for the illusion of innocence my hide and seek game provided. I felt like such an amateur, and bearing witness to such sparrow boned delinquency, I could not help but become smitten with this girl as she circled around me, thieving, while my ankle throbbed in a way I to this day still associate with falling in love.

crumbsroom 09-18-21 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2238655)
Cat Power

Just beginning to get acquainted with Moon Pix.

It feels like an important thing.

Jinnistan 09-18-21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2239337)
Just beginning to get acquainted with Moon Pix.

It feels like an important thing.
It's a special record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fw7KZ3v8fc

crumbsroom 09-18-21 01:54 AM

These come with a sound, which I can hear now.
It's over on the under shelf
Fell out of your shoe
Dump them on your head
And please
Remove your banana.

Rockatansky 09-18-21 02:24 AM

At one point I started getting Facebook ads for magic mushrooms. I have no idea why. I have never done drugs. I barely even drink. The only thing the algos have to go on is my compulsive clicking of menswear ads.

crumbsroom 09-18-21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2239354)
At one point I started getting Facebook ads for magic mushrooms. I have no idea why. I have never done drugs. I barely even drink. The only thing the algos have to go on is my compulsive clicking of menswear ads.

Personally, I think it's important that people who internet shop for menswear also know about the possibility of travelling in other dimensions.

You can even do them both at the same time!

Jinnistan 09-18-21 02:56 AM

Psilocybin is a perfectly acceptable introduction to psychedelics. Smooth, fruity, just a taint of cinnamon.

But I'm glad that John Waters called out these microdosers. He called them pu**ies. Pedal to the metal, bastards.

crumbsroom 09-18-21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2239369)
Psilocybin is a perfectly acceptable introduction to psychedelics. Smooth, fruity, just a taint of cinnamon.

But I'm glad that John Waters called out these microdosers. He called them pu**ies. Pedal to the metal, bastards.

I don't really use them anymore. I'm prone to spiralling into alternate realities when given the chance, and so its best I limit my exposure to this stuff. But have to admit, I can't even admit to understanding what life is supposed to be if it isn't for at least losing a couple of years on psychedelics. No one needs a full dose of reality from top to tail in this life. Blasting that to pieces from time to time is all that kept me even partially sane.

That said, I also think people should tread at least somewhat cautiously towards experimenting with these things. They definitely don't mix well with some personalities. I nearly scared myself off of them since I have a pretty tenuous brain chemistry to begin with, and taking 12 grams for my first ever dose was a very poorly thought out introduction. And, no, cutting back to six grams on my second dose was hardly much help.

Gently wade into the deep end, my kiddies. No need to crave for the permanent brain damage as poor crumbly here did.

EDIT: and in regards to microdosing, I don't quite get the point. I briefly dated a girl about two years ago who was microdosing on all of our first dates, and while she hardly seemed to experience any kind euphoric or distorting effects, it seemed to warp her sense of how one generally behaves around someone they just met. She spent the first date staring at me blankly and not responding to anything I said, and the second date yelling at me in a crowded Chinese restaurant. She was definitely a keeper.

crumbsroom 09-19-21 02:41 PM

I've been growing more and more partial to this (I think) fairly atypical Hurley record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDbnlkjLNQ

crumbsroom 09-21-21 01:20 PM

BLOW, CRACKBATTON, BLOW

The instrument was much too long. Samuel Crackbatton built it before he had any notion of how it would be played, and with its assortment of valves, frets, keys, slides, pedals and strings being mostly out of his reach, it was unlikely he would ever learn. While some of these components essential to the mastery of this strange instrument were still within his sight (he could see them just across the street if he went to look out the window) he could do little more than imagine his fingertips moving along each of them, wringing out notes that had never before been heard.

As it disappeared around the corner, his mood would darken as he realized he could not even remember what the rest of the instrument looked like. Creeping down alleyways and up fire escapes, obstructing roadways, entering restaurants where it became slathered in grease and condiments, it dared to leave the town almost entirely unplayed by any who lived there. Only the dirty old men who sat on park benches bothered to finger its more provocative knobs and spit valves, but such touching seemed to cause little more than an unrelated slurping sound, which the instrument could hardly be blamed for.

Deep in the forest, the instrument continued its progress away from Samuel. Here, birds would land upon this strange perch, and if it this had been the place it had come to finally make its music heard, the force with which Samuel would blow into it would have immediately sent them fluttering in a shock of feathers towards the sky. But it was only once you got into the distant town of Munce that these unknown noises he made could be heard. Entering through the bedroom window of one John Applestance, the horn of this instrument could be found finally coming to a rest upon his nightstand.

Even though Samuel was always considerate enough to only practice upon it during the afternoon, unfortunately in Munce it would already be nighttime. And as poor John lost yet another evenings sleep to all this skronking and tooting and bleating being transmitted to him from Salt Seeall, a town he’d never even heard of, he kept his prayers simple. If there really was a God, one day, whoever was on the other end of this infernal instrument, might one day learn how to play it.

crumbsroom 09-21-21 01:38 PM

KARATE DAD

My father jumps into the room where I’m watching TV. He is dressed for a karate fight. His hands are fists. There are Japanese hieroglyphs on his shirt. The pants are too short and they are showing his hairless shins. Even though he’s barefoot he doesn’t dare demonstrate a kick. His legs don’t work very well and he is stinking of beer. One kick and he would fall over.

I’m not sure how to respond as he goes “hiiiiyaaaaaa”. There are good things on the television and I am torn over what I’m supposed to be looking at. I’m not really sure why this is happening. I’m sure a karate outfit is not what he went to the store with my grandmother to get. He has all sorts of problems and pretending he knows karate will not fix any of them.

I later learn what he is wearing is called a karetegi. He has bought two of them, a black one and a white one. He hasn’t taken the black one out of the plastic wrapping yet and it is sitting on the kitchen table where my stepmother is impatiently waiting to drive him home. Maybe the second one is for her. He’ll get her to put it on when they’re home and then kick her. Throw her off the balcony. I have no idea what married people do.

I get angry when he won’t let me get back to my movie and start to yell at him as he keeps punching the air around him. We get into a fight and I say something that makes him go into the kitchen. Everything has gone quiet. Eventually, my grandmother comes in to tell me I need to give him a hug and tell him I’m sorry. What I said was very cruel. I’ve never hugged my father before, but I slowly walk to where he’s now standing in the hall. I put my arms around his waist, push my face into his swollen belly, and feel my insides turn into worms. He is still wearing a headband.

Rockatansky 09-21-21 02:35 PM

I'm glad you apologized to Karate Dad. :heart:

crumbsroom 09-21-21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2240018)
I'm glad you apologized to Karate Dad. :heart:

He gave up his career as a martial artist, just for me!

Rockatansky 09-21-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2240020)
He gave up his career as a martial artist, just for me!
Are him and Karate Stepmom still together?

Asking for a friend. :shifty:

crumbsroom 09-21-21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2240024)
Are him and Karate Stepmom still together?

Once a man breaks his karate vows, the writing is on the wall for stepmoms.

Rockatansky 09-21-21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2240051)
Once a man breaks his karate vows, the writing is on the wall for stepmoms.
And she knows karate, right?

Rockatansky 09-21-21 05:17 PM

https://64.media.tumblr.com/15765ba9...ec215462c.gifv

crumbsroom 09-21-21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2240060)
And she knows karate, right?

If I remember correctly she....crocheted.

Her legacy is an ugly, orange afghan I still use to this day.

And, of course, memories of her being able to use those crafty needles to assassinate any henchman sent by Kung Fu Death Squads to drink my fathers beer.

crumbsroom 09-21-21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2240071)

And, of course, memories of her being able to use those crafty needles to assassinate any henchman sent by Kung Fu Death Squads to drink my fathers beer.

Or at least this is what my father assumed when she agreed to marry him.

Turns out, she was more likely to use her Centipede Style to dump his beer down the sink.

Rockatansky 09-21-21 06:27 PM

I will refrain from further Renee Harmon gifs in light of this information.

crumbsroom 09-21-21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2240079)
I will refrain from further Renee Harmon gifs in light of this information.

But they perfectly evoke her crocheting essence!

crumbsroom 09-22-21 01:23 AM

PILE DRIVEN UNDERGROUND

Mort’s got wrestlers in his basement. Dozens of them. A common enough problem ever since the children of Salt Seeall learned the truth about wrestling. Now they dare not show their faces in the street. Have gone underground. Stay wherever they aren’t chased away with brooms. While Mort never considered himself a fan of the sport, he doesn’t mind the company. He finds they keep away the rats. Help him twist open stubborn jar lids. At least those who can resist smashing his glassware over their heads.

At night, they keep their costumes on. They sleep in their thigh high boots, glitter capes, feather boas, studded bracelets, sweat bands, horned Viking helmets, spandex singlets. Those who are bare-chested, bundle together in one corner for warmth. When they wake, only their face paint needs touching up, which they do by leaning over to where they can see their reflections in the glass door of Mort’s electric clothes dryer. Then, once ready, they immediately begin to circle each other. Grapple. Grunt. Stomp their feet and smack each other in the face.

This will be how they pass their time in the mornings as they wait for Mort to bring them down some breakfast. They will eat this vigorously with their hands, standing as they chew, never taking their eyes off that days opponent, who will also eat looking directly back at them. Once he is sure they all have a plate, Mort will then quickly returns upstairs, always finding himself somewhat relieved to escape before they begin to wrestle again. While he trusts them, even the fiercest looking of the Heels who really aren’t so bad once you get to know them, he carries with him a fear of one day being mistakenly pile-drived to his death. As an accountant for a mattress wholesaler, he knew this was not the way a man of his profession should be ended, even though he could not help sometimes wondering what it might feel like to have his skull crushed between a pair of knees. All those facts and figures regarding mattress profitability graciously released from his head onto the floor of his basement. A fantasy he even dreamed of with some regularity, but never told anyone.

Once the wrestlers are finally finished eating, and their noisy chewing slowly draws to a close, they are always sure to neatly pile their plates at the bottom of the stairs for Mort to collect later. Then they get back to wrestling. At first slowly, because of the influence of all that food. Sticky with marmalade. Groggy with pancakes. Burping the smell of eggs into the faces of their opponents as they pin them for the three count. The influence of Mort will be in every victory and defeat doled out over the course of the day. And not only in their eventual need to defecate behind the furnace.

The floor of the basement they wrestle on is made of earth. Once mixed with their sweat, it can at times nearly turn to mud. It splashes up onto the white walls as they run back and forth and crash into each other. Gets transferred from hand to hand every time a wrestler catching his breath is tagged back into the action. And with every bodyslam into the growing mush beneath them, they sink further and further down into it. Down and down and down. Where all the dead from previous matches lay. Where the losers of this day will soon also be buried. As they continue to wrestle on top of their fallen comrades, they all know no day can ever be considered over until at least one of them is put down there too. Necks cracked. Covered in mud. Full of worms.

After Mort supplies them with their dinner, this will be the time for them to hold their vigil for that day’s dead. They will stand solemnly beneath the one bare bulb that illuminates the basement. All of them entirely naked. Their exposed flesh swamped with grime. There they will stand, brimming over with a true love for their sport. Thinking forward to the day when those who survive finally climb out from Mort’s basement into the sunlight. Redeemed. Ready for the children to once again worship them.

Silently they pray for this glorious day to come soon. Not making a sound. Barely even moving until there is a sudden noise that brings them back to the darkness they are all standing in. The wash is done. One by one they line up to collect their costumes, now clean, even though they are still filthy.

crumbsroom 09-25-21 01:29 AM

BEER TACKLE

I really liked to look at the fishing lures in our basement. We had a heavy metal box filled with old ones made of wood, big enough to fill my hand. I imagined the kind of mouths that would be large enough to eat them. I wondered if any fish could be so big.

The hooks that hung from their varnished undercarriages would rattle when I shook them, and the thought of these settling inside the soft belly of some enormous fish clung unwanted to every thought I had of the cottage. I could not wait to go. I had already packed my bags even though we would not leave for weeks. And yet whenever I became excited about our coming trip, these thoughts tugged upon my mind like of fish full of hooks, and I dared not pull them entirely to the surface.

As it turned out we wouldn’t bring these old wooden lures with us to the cottage. Instead, me and my father bought new ones at the hardware store the day before we left. They were much smaller and made of plastic. It was easier for me to understand why a fish might choose to eat these since they almost looked real. We got a whole bag full of them and I took turns looking at each as we sat in the tavern we went to afterwards. It was too dark inside to see just how colourful and shiny these new lures were. I thought it was probably even darker here than at the bottom of the lake we were going to.

My father always preferred to drink his beer in places where there was not much light and so we sat in the corner, away from the waitresses and other people eating their lunches. I threatened to throw a rubber worm barbed with many hooks into his beer and he put his hand over his glass and shook his head as if he was not something worth catching. I asked if I could get some fries when he motioned for the waitress to come over to our dark corner. For a long while, it seemed like she would never see us.

Jinnistan 09-25-21 02:10 AM

*karate fish kick gif*

crumbsroom 09-26-21 01:36 PM

Everyone needs rules!

THE 12 ESSENTIAL RULES TO WRITING FICTION YOU'LL WISH YOU DIDN'T

1) Characters do not know what story you want to tell, and so should be allowed to act in ways that disrupt whatever point you are trying to make

2) Never work on anything so long you figure out exactly what you want to say. Once it begins to reveal its shape, abandon it.

3) Recognize nothing matters if it does not contain at least one unsolvable mystery.

4) Stories should function like jokes with their punchlines amputated.

5) Each paragraph should aim to tell its own story.

6) If what you have written doesn’t embarrass you, you’ve written the wrong story

7) Embrace the discomfort that comes with the notion that anything tragic can be funny, and anything funny can be tragic.

8) There is honesty in fabrication and exaggeration. Untreated truth can’t survive on a page long enough to have the kind of impact you’re hoping for.

9) Try never to be in the grip of the emotions you are writing about. Sadness does not truly understand sadness. Happiness does not truly understand happiness.

10) Remove as much connective tissue between sentences as possible. It’s tricky to decide how much of this a story can survive before it becomes unreadable, but hopefully, the rhythm of your language and imagery can keep it on life support as you cut it to pieces.

11) Erase anything you did not enjoy writing.

12) Everything you write, no matter how fantastic or stupid, is biographical. Treat it as such.

crumbsroom 09-26-21 03:33 PM

Writes songs about death. Plays a guitar that conquers it.

crumbsroom 09-27-21 08:15 PM

IF YOU'RE BABYSITTING DEATH, BEST NOT GET DRUNK

Matthew Birch had the toys we wanted. We’d crowd around a window-well to peer into the basement where he kept them. Lean towards the glass until driven back by sparks shooting from the mouth of Godzilla. The noxious clouds erupting from chemistry set test tubes. The kamikaze propellers of remote-controlled airplanes. We could barely get a glimpse of what was down there before the toys rose up and chased us away.

Sometimes Matthew would let some of us in. He would stand on the hood of his parent's car and announce which of us he considered friends, then quickly usher those selected inside. Anyone not invited were discouraged from staying on his lawn, as I had once done, waiting for everyone I had just been playing with to come back. I had seen them peeking out at me through the curtains. Thought this was a sign they would soon return and so made myself comfortable on the grass. But after some minutes of being alone, only his mother came out. Stood on the porch with her arms crossed over her chest. Staring meanly until I got up and began to move down the street, away from where everyone else was.

It was near to dinnertime when I got home. My grandparents would have only just left for the horse track and so the kitchen was empty. In the living room the television was on, and beneath a heavy old woolen blanket, some crooked, snore-shook lump had risen from between the couch cushions. It was a shape not fully formed, still in gestation, yet one I was certain would become my father once all the details I needed to recognize him were put in place. The moustache. The cigarette-stained fingers. The sticking up hair. The jean jacket smelling of beer lunch. Only once finished, would he begin to rise from underneath his blanket to become that evening’s babysitter.

And so I still had time to remain unseen. I hurried upstairs. There would be no one around to interrupt my transformation into Death.

I had warned Matthew before not to take my friends away. That there would be consequences. And now, looking at the collection of tiny jars and bottles I had shaken from my grandmother's make-up bag into the sink, I knew what those would be. What I would have to become.

Blood would run from my eyes. I sampled the many reds of her nail polish on hand-crushed tissues to see which was closest to the colour of her nosebleeds. Then carefully dribbled the best one down my cheeks.

I would also need to be old. Used her blackest mascara to scrawl wrinkles into my forehead. Around the corners of my mouth. But this still wasn’t enough. I chewed on a lipstick until the pulp ran down my chin. Then, slapped my face hard with talcum powder, until I was as pale and dusty as a corpse dropped in lye.

I sneezed. Looked into the mirror. Still recognized myself.

Worried my father would wake before the transition was complete, I hurriedly searched through my grandfather's closet until I found a tattered, old bathrobe. As brown as grave dirt. Draped it over my head like a death shroud and, once I was sure it fully covered the t-shirt and swim trunks I’d been sporting all afternoon, I tied its terrycloth belt around my neck to keep it in place. Found myself worrying about the wind blowing it open as I stepped outside. Used my hands, still dusty with talcum powder, sticky with nail polish drippings, to tightly snatch it shut. Keep these skinny legs of Death from being exposed to the neighbours. From being laughed at.

In the garage I searched for a walking stick that would allow me to lean my skeletal, death-like wobble into. A bamboo pole my grandmother used in her garden to grow tomatoes would be good enough. Then, coming across the hangman’s noose I’d made from a bit of yellow rope the weekend before, I allowed this to dangle from between my fingers as I drifted out towards the street. Towards the home of Matthew Birch. Staring straight ahead, unaware of anything but the next boy on my list. Unsure of who I even was anymore, until I heard the sound of my father's voice, calling me from the porch.

“Oh, no you don’t”, he cried out. “Nope!”

I turned to confront him. Realized I had not walked nearly as far as I had thought. He would still be able to catch me if I started to run, so I stood my ground. “I am Death. Do not dare think you can stop me”

My father pointed towards the door. “If Death is hoping for pizza, inside, now”

Reluctantly I drifted back inside. Sat at the kitchen table sulking as my father contemplated toppings. Made it clear, Death would not tolerate anything but pepperoni. Something I felt he should have known without asking.

It was dark in the room. Curled upon the loveseat, I stared towards the boy we had constructed on the carpet. He was laying in my spot, just beneath the television, looking funny and wrong. Much too long to be me. Wearing rubber galoshes in his sleep. I could tell his head had already come lose from the collar of the shirt I had given him. Rolled face first into the rug. The wig remained fastened tight though, a tight nest of curls we had found in the basement at the bottom of a box full of spiderwebs. A tangle of hair I found myself staring deeply into as I listened to my father snore on the couch next to me.

The crunching of beer cans had come to an end. As had all my father's stories. I’d been listening to them all night. Mostly about my mother's family. Grandpa Tennisball-Head had once lived in an abandoned factory, slept on the concrete floor next to a machine big enough to fill a house. Uncle Gary standing on a hilltop and pointing a rifle down at the city beneath them. Uncle Terry breaking into a house and stealing a briefcase full of loose change. Paying the fare of his getaway cab in handfuls of dimes.

He also talked about his time with my mother, which he almost never did. How she used to spend all her free time counting the pennies she collected in a jar. Filled all the ashtrays with sunflower seeds. How these are the kinds of things that can make you hate a person. But not so much you’d ever kick them in the mouth with the heel of a cowboy boot. Never that, he swore. He hadn't meant it, even though no one who’d been there that night believed him. They only saw all that blood and called the cops.

Most of his stories had been told at the kitchen table, as I sat listening, the nail polish in my eyes now itching, the powder on my face drifting into my lap. He’d once been shot in the head with the worlds tiniest gun. Couldn’t stop laughing as it was pointed at him. Showed me the place in his hair line where the bullet had lodged itself, and how my mother had to pick it out of his skull with her fingernails.

“Weren’t you scared?” I asked.

He wouldn’t say. Only told me about the times he and a friend used to lay on the freeway, waiting for cars to run them over. How he may have buried bodies in a field with a girl named Trisha Klegg. I think he even mentioned that I once had a brother, when I was very young. But he died before I would have had a chance to remember him.

“Do you like horror movies”, I asked. “I hope a horror movie is on TV tonight”

We had come into the family room to check what was on the television. Began to build this boy on the carpet when we found nothing worth watching. “Weren't you saying something about needing a friend”, he explained when I asked why we were doing this. “We’ll make you a proper one you can perform all that voodoo of yours on”

I kept talking about movies as we stuffed the boy on the floor full of newspapers and bits of firewood. He said he liked them too when he was young, and I asked him what his favorite was. He told me he liked Frankenstein the most. How in that movie they collected the bodies of recently hung convicts. How he always wanted the job of Fritz, climbing up the gallows with a knife in his teeth to cut them down. Instead, he had ended up working on an assembly line, powder coating sheet metal.

All night long, I couldn't help but notice he’d kept my hangman’s noose near to him. Kept complimenting my handiwork. Said it looked like a tricky knot for a kid to master, but I had done a good job. I told him it had taken me a long while, but I eventually figured it out on my own.

I sometimes held out my hand and asked for him to let me have it back, but he would clench it tightly in his fist. Refuse to put it down. It kept following us into every room we visited. Upstairs to find the mannequin head I had once seen in a spare closet. Down to the basement where we would discover the wig. When it got late, it was still in his hands as I sat watching him tugging at it, seeing if it would come loose, only letting it slip from his fingers as his eyes began to droop shut.

But now he was asleep. I had outlasted him. Finally got the noose back. My fingers slowly untying it beneath my pillow as I looked towards the boy on the carpet who was already coming apart. Later that night, I had plans to sneak out to Matthew Birch’s home. Crawl quietly up onto his porch and tie this bit of rope to his door handle. A calling card to let him know Death had paid him a visit. Even if, by now, most of my grandmother’s makeup had rubbed off and I hardly felt very frightening.

At some point I fell asleep. I don’t know when. I only woke when I heard my grandparents standing in the living room, talking amongst themselves, counting beer cans and wondering who my father had let fall asleep on the floor. Hissing his name under their breath, as if he was the only one it would wake.

StuSmallz 09-27-21 10:28 PM

https://i.ibb.co/wCPw9bq/tumblr-n71q...cbm7o1-250.gif

Jinnistan 09-28-21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2241080)
Everyone needs rules!

THE 12 ESSENTIAL RULES TO WRITING FICTION YOU'LL WISH YOU DIDN'T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPxWkBgW6U

crumbsroom 09-28-21 12:29 AM

I was just a few weeks ago reading passages from a collection of Bukowski's love poems to my girlfriend while we were at the beach. I'm pretty sure she stopped listening after the word 'snatch'.

crumbsroom 09-28-21 11:34 AM

In some ways John Cale was the fault line for me. Where it became clear that writing about music professionally, at least in the avenues that were being presented to me, wasn't going to work. "He's great", the editors I would be working for told me when I mentioned my interest in Cale's music. One of the first things I ever said to them. "Just never write about him. No one cares"

In some ways I obviously understood why a violist who worked in the avant-garde tradition with polarizing figures like LaMonte Young and John Cage, might be an unwelcome point of discussion for a magazine catering to pop culture. But these people were more than aware of Cale's eventual drift towards rock and roll, punk and baroque pop music. How he had written the kinds of songs which were exactly in the tradition of the music they were already covering.

Basically, with their off-the-cuff assumption that their readership would never have any interest in learning about this guy, they were shutting a door on allowing their audience to not only discover the menacing delight of his more accessible work, but were denying them the key he offers to different musical territory. Even Flaming Lips fans deserve to have their horizon's broadened.

So the dye was already immediately cast on this particular career choice for me. I have an inability to truck in establishments that under estimate the potential of people to be receptive to all kinds of art. As a demented Romantic, I consider it a moral crime what they were doing. I walked out on that job the only way I know how. Without warning and full of venom. Just like the adult I never grew up to be would do.

But at least I still had his records, presumably, just for myself. Rarely has an artist snarled his way into the heavens as Cale does on much of his 70's work. He's an undoubtedly frightening figure looming at the margins of pop culture, covered in chicken blood behind a piano. But his musical intuition always seems deft enough that he call pull this terror into some of the most majestic pop songs this side of Brian Wilson. And lyrically, he is an under praised master, who deserves nearly as much attention as a Leonard Cohen, or John Lennon, or Tom Waits, or Lou Reed. I've not only laughed at his perverse phrasing, but I'm certain I've had nightmares about them too. The only two things that matter.

As an artist, Cale is a monumental figure in my life. An inspiration. A cypher. As close to perfection as an artist and performer and thinker can be for me in the art world. He has some recognition but not nearly enough. I can only hope all of those readers of a now defunct Toronto music rag eventually found their way around that trash heap of journalism to find him as well. They deserved him as much as I do.

Jinnistan 09-29-21 01:24 AM

Speaking of Severin....

I have to admit, Cale's voice leaves me cold. Certainly colder than Lennon, Cohen or Reed. I'm sure that some, most?, of that is intentional. I've managed to penetrate the ice-stone facade of Nico, so maybe I need a polar expedition to get there.

crumbsroom 09-29-21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2241742)
Speaking of Severin....

I have to admit, Cale's voice leaves me cold. Certainly colder than Lennon, Cohen or Reed. I'm sure that some, most?, of that is intentional. I've managed to penetrate the ice-stone facade of Nico, so maybe I need a polar expedition to get there.

I get why some might see a coldness there, but I find a calmness to Cale's voice. As well as an always untrustworthy gentlemanliness. And because of this, any slight dip into tenderness or mania, becomes all the more powerful. Or frightening.

crumbsroom 09-30-21 05:54 PM

AT FIRST NORMA

Whoever had thought to call her Norma had clearly made a mistake. Children were hardly meant to answer to such a name as this. It sounded old and dusty and much too serious. It should have been left for only the darners of socks to nod at. Or the stirrers of gruel. Or maybe for those who were meant to eat this gruel once the stirring was done; the leftover girls of orphanages everywhere, all of them who had also been mistakenly named Norma, and who no one would ever think of adopting because of it.

All she knew was that it shouldn’t be meant for the ones who went out into the cold to dance across ice floes, as this Norma did, skipping from one to the other, unafraid of ever drowning. Whenever she heard this name called out through the kitchen window after her, letting her know that lunch was now ready, it had the sound of something that was better off slipping and sinking to the bottom of the lake. She would not let it get near her as she skated weightlessly across the ice towards a place she might be known as something different. It was a relief to hear it dropping heavily into the frozen water behind her, unable to keep up with how quickly she moved ahead of it.

But her mother had given her this name, and she would be persistent. She would keep calling it out until she came. There she would wait up in this house on the hill, looking down towards the iced-over lake below as a lunch sat waiting on a table beside her. Norma could wait all she wanted to see if she might call out for anyone more interesting, but this lunch was never going to be for a Rita or a Hazel or even a Betty. As far as her mother was concerned this bowl of soup was only for Norma, and it was the only name that would ever be called to let her know she needed to hurry before it grew cold.

While she dreamed of one day defying these calls, Norma always came to the sound of her name, eventually. She could only pretend to be someone else for so long before her mother might find a need to fetch the measuring stick from her closet, and unlike the soup, this would have only grown warmer the longer she had been forced to wait. Holding it firmly across her thighs as she watched the slow progress of her daughter crawling up the hill towards her, its heat would be felt across the back of Norma’s legs once she was inside. And with every strike of the measuring stick, her mother would say that dreaded name again, if only to help her recognize it quicker the next time she was being called. Enough whacks and she’d be screaming it herself, loud enough for her father and all her brother and sisters to hear. Loud enough to make it clear to everyone within earshot who she was and who she would remain to be.

By the time the rest of the world had also come to know her as Norma, it would call her this until it made her old. Took the colour from her hair. Drew creases around her mouth and made the veins behind her knees bulging and green. Everything about her became exactly as one should expect of a Norma. Neighbours would even yell it out as she went zooming past on the shining yellow bicycle she rode about town, and in time, this became as good a reminder to slow down as any. Once you had been a Norma long enough, it became clear the time for bicycles was over, and it was important to start keeping safe in the softness of couches. Or any place she could finally succumb to the promise of her name by letting life pass her by.

But even once she began to keep herself inside, safely away from those who might recognize her, this name would continue to find where she had hidden, making it impossible for her to think of herself as anything but what she was. Having wed herself to a man who had no issues with being married to a Norma whatsoever, he was proud to call it out loudly whenever she was on his mind. Possibly while trying to find a particular tie he suspected she may have lost in the wash. Or if contemplating the possibility of yet another pot of tea. His lungs were filled with the sound of her name, and as long as there were things to be done about the house, it would constantly be sent out in search of her. Just enough times, it seemed, to turn her into a grandmother.

It was the least she could expect after all these years of being a Norma. Once enough dust had settled upon this life of hers, there was little else for her to become. But from the first moment she laid eyes upon her grandson, she no longer worried over the bother of now being a grandmother. This child had looked back at her with such a sense of trust she felt completely at ease introducing herself. All he wanted from her was to know who this woman was that he was looking at and all she needed to do was tell him.

“Hello there. I’m your Nan”, she whispered to the boy as if telling him a secret. “Can you say Nan?”

The name had come to her without her having to think much over it. It was good. She liked the sound of it as she spoke it out loud for the first time. And while her tiny grandson could only smile back at these noises his grandmother made so close to his ear, she was encouraged by how eagerly he seemed to want to say it back to her.

crumbsroom 09-30-21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2241452)

I've been thinking deeply on what he says about what writing should be here. Probably have been a lot since I revisited this video about a year ago. More so now.

Even teetering on blind drunkedness, his appeal to writers is simple but perfect. Just say something. And feel it when you say it. That's it, you dummies.

In many ways, it's a straight forward appeal. And true. But also, ridiculously difficult to live up to. Those juices run dry so quickly. And sadly, a fifty gallon truck full of gut rot, hardly even helps most of the time.

crumbsroom 10-01-21 12:32 AM

THE PRIZEFIGHTER

Leaving the boy behind was always difficult. She would look back at him as she stepped from his mother’s apartment into the hallway. He would be standing in the center of the room with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his brown corduroys, almost as if he saw no reason to reach out and touch anything at all here. He looked so small. He’d stare back at her while his mother gestured for her to close the door before the weird smells of her neighbours cooking could come inside. All Norma could do was remind them of the groceries she had left for them on the kitchen counter, before stepping away to shuffle off towards the elevator. Her husband would be waiting outside for her, smoking cigarettes in the car. The windows would be rolled up while he coughed and stared in the wrong direction. He would hardly notice as she got inside.

Back at her house, things would feel different. Slow and empty. Thankfully, on days when there seemed little else to do but sit still, her home had a way of making her busy anyways. Even when Minty wasn’t with her, and she had little reason to wander up and down then up the stairs again, she somehow always found she was able to work herself into a state of exhaustion. Sometimes it would be on her knees kneading the carpet back into place after a good vacuuming. Or maybe it would be going on an excavation to the back of the closet in search of something she hadn’t seen for years, but suddenly needed to find, maybe to dust off and display on a shelf, or just to look at and remember where she had gotten it. She seemed most bedraggled of all though whenever she was to be found standing next to the woodpile in the garage, blood dripping from her nose, and soft curls of peeled paint in her hair.

In summer, when she could keep the door of the garage open, the bleeding would be much less. But when it grew cold, and there was nowhere else for the smell of Turpentine to go but up into the tender tissue of her sinuses, it wasn’t uncommon for the furniture she was stripping to be dappled with droplets of her blood as she worked herself into a sweat. She’d touch her nose, look at her fingers and curse quietly to herself. Then, retreating inside, she would spend the rest of her day seated at the kitchen table, listening to classical music on the radio, and drinking a glass of Scotch with two bullet shaped plugs of tissue stuffed into her nostrils.

When her husband returned from work to find her there, he would tell her she looked just like George Chuvalo nursing a beating in the corner of the ring. She felt dazed from some kind of defeat as she stared up at him. “Nobody told me I was marrying a prizefighter”, he would bellow and laugh and begin to look around for evidence of his coming dinner. “What an embarrassing mix-up for me. Oh, poor me, poor me. Married to George Chuvalo and I’m the last to know”

crumbsroom 10-01-21 01:40 AM

(I LOVE) FLANNERY O'CONNOR
https://i.postimg.cc/qvTmrF5C/flannery-oconnor1.png

The only person I'm convinced writes better than any other person.

I love you, Flannery.

If it wasn't for you, I would have given up on sentences by now.

Jinnistan 10-01-21 04:57 PM

Is she even wearing a bra though? :cool:

Jinnistan 10-01-21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2242188)
Even teetering on blind drunkedness, his appeal to writers is simple but perfect. Just say something. And feel it when you say it. That's it, you dummies.
I think it's good for a writer to get comfortable writing. Bukowski mentioned how he started by just filling up a notebook with words. Don't bother thinking about the final draft or what people will eventually read. Separate "the zone" from the editing process. Look at writing like a director sees coverage, not taking a scene in a linear sense but just a few paragraphs here and there on different angles, and worry about structuring it later. And, as Mailer said, never edit drunk. You can write drunk, but edit stoned. :p

crumbsroom 10-04-21 06:05 PM

GRANDPA AND GRANDMA: THE NEVER EATERS OF ANYTHING

Legs crossed like a gentleman, arm casually draped over the back of his chair, my grandfather hardly seemed a man just licked clean of chocolate icing. But I’d seen him with his fingers in his mouth. Knuckle deep and sucking. Had been peeking around the corner and watched him at the kitchen table. Knew he couldn’t be left alone with a birthday cake that wasn’t his.

“Another slice? Now why would I do that? Ridiculous.” He laughed. Fumbled with the crumbs on his sweater. Hid a fork. Shook his head.

The tinkling of a spoon would sometimes draw me towards the similar misdeeds of my grandmother. She could never leave the bottom of a bowl alone. Scraping pools of melted ice cream into her mouth, making a racket until I appeared to accuse her. She told me if someone had been eating it, or if it was all gone, it had nothing to do with her. I should take my crime solving elsewhere. Would nudge me away with her feet, as I’d still be on my belly, pointing at her from the kitchen floor.

“I’ve never tasted anything sweet in my whole life”, she would tell me, angry I seemed unable to remember all the stories she told me about her Brother Bill. How she’d stand outside the candy store and wait for him while he went in. The misspent fortune of all those coins they would pool together and that he would always waste on little paper satchels full of licorice root she couldn’t eat. And that he knew he wouldn’t have to share.

My grandfather seemed to enjoy the infamy of being thought a thief. Smoked cigarettes at the kitchen table in quiet contemplation of what sweet things he would steal next. A little smile on his lips as if he could already taste both it and his lies. But my grandmother would grow agitated once caught. Leave the room after rinsing her bowl clean. Not speak to me the rest of the day.

When left alone, I thought of prisons for the both of them. Cages they could be put where the shame of a whip cream swirl sprayed atop their head would quickly begin sagging in the dungeon heat. The cherry of their indignity about to drop to the floor. Roll underneath the absorbent piles of straw they slept upon. Something for the rats to steal before their greedy fingers had a chance to snatch it away too.

Jinnistan 10-05-21 01:34 AM

Do you have one of those secret kleptomaniacs in your family? Boy, are those fun.

crumbsroom 10-05-21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2243221)
Do you have one of those secret kleptomaniacs in your family? Boy, are those fun.

I don't think so, no. But, I must admit, things always had a tendency to vanish in my childhood home. Sometimes chairs you'd expect to be there would suddenly go missing. Then an entire table. So, I guess it's possible it was secretive kleptos. But, more likely, my grandmother was just impulsively throwing out rooms worth of furniture. Or selling it to highest bidder vagabonds while I was at school.

Jinnistan 10-05-21 03:45 AM

I had an aunt who was always in trouble for petty shoplifting. I had no idea until years later.

crumbsroom 10-05-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2242350)
I think it's good for a writer to get comfortable writing. Bukowski mentioned how he started by just filling up a notebook with words. Don't bother thinking about the final draft or what people will eventually read. Separate "the zone" from the editing process. Look at writing like a director sees coverage, not taking a scene in a linear sense but just a few paragraphs here and there on different angles, and worry about structuring it later. And, as Mailer said, never edit drunk. You can write drunk, but edit stoned. :p

This is essentially what I've done for while now. I do still get hung up on certain parts, usually a particular cluster of sentences. But where I used to grow really attached to these parts I overworked and spent tonnes of time on, I usually just delete them these days. You can almost always smell the struggle on them (ie portions of The Prize fighter and At First Norma contain elements that survived this kind of purging, probably for the worse)

I'm big on the writing under the influence of alcohol speed of weed. I am always completely creatively crippled when on any kind of serious hallucinogen. I start questioning the very nature of language and the creative process when I'm in that zone, and I'm not even capable of doodling pictures on a scrap piece of paper when Im like that.

Editing almost always has to be done dead sober, for me. Editing is always about removing big chunks, and inebriation is always about adding things. Not compatible

crumbsroom 10-14-21 05:59 PM

WAR THUMB

When speaking of the war, my grandfather might mention the candy bar that had slid from his shirt pocket somewhere over Italy. Dropping out through the bomb bay doors. Spinning down towards the ground below. Exploding along with all the monuments and whatever civilians had been standing around marveling at them.

“A very dangerous Sweet Marie”, he’d say, and smoke and stare back down at his newspaper.

More often, he’d just extend his arm towards you and clench his fist. Awaken the gristly deposit of flesh that proudly lined his thumb. A bulge he’d be pleased to find you could not flatten, no matter how hard you pressed upon it. His ping-pong muscle. The only thing he’d brought back from the war with him. Something to make us all consider the unbeatable backspin that had grown it there.

It was never clear who had stood opposite him as stared across the table towards his next opponent. It was nice to think of Nazi’s being felled with a slice of his felt covered paddle. But, on reflection, it seemed more likely to have been those on his side. Allies with ping-pong ball sized dents littering the floor of the barracks. The peculiar musculature of his thumb growing ever more monstrous with every victory.

"Hitler! Wham! Ka-pow!” He would sometimes say as he flexed it for me. Give the sky a punch, then reach over the kitchen table for the butter dish. Lather a slice of bread as my grandmother's suspicions turned towards his war effort. That thumb. Convinced it was full of nothing but breakfast fats. That it would leak like a punctured sausage if she was ever allowed to pinch it.

“Maybe your grandson might like to play a game with you sometime."

Sometimes, she’d send him down to find me in the basement. I’d watch him carefully come down the stairs and move to the opposite end of the table. Glare at me over the net with eyes that were still thinking of his newspaper. Could see his ping-pong muscle begin to throb as he took a hold of his paddle. Would stand there as helpless as a German as he began to launch missiles at my head.

“Wham! Kapow!”, he’d say as he left me curled beneath the ping-pong table. Turning off the lights as if he’d already forgotten I was still down there. And once back upstairs, let my grandmother know he was still undefeated, after all these years.

crumbsroom 10-19-21 04:39 PM

I think this is the first non-pandemic piece I've posted here. Just came across it and obviously want to work on it more as it is even less finished than most. Posting it so I will remember that I want to include it with the rest of this nonsense once I start making sense of everything I've been writing (one day)

Just Don’t Let Him Die Thirsty

There was definitely a shortage of legs in these parts. Ever since I had moved into the new neighbourhood I couldn’t help but notice the preponderance of stumps to be found as I walked down the street. They were everywhere. Some were as smooth as shaved heads; others came to an end in a fleshy twist as if the missing leg had been removed through a violent unscrewing.

In my old neighbourhood, my better neighbourhood, everyone had seemed to have both their legs. In this strange new place though, it could not be counted on for my neighbours to be so lucky. Even on those occasions that they did happen to have both of their legs,
and could stand on them, and walk around quite cavalierly, further investigation would soon reveal that they were undoubtedly missing something else: possibly an arm, often teeth, maybe, in mysterious instances, even patches of skin from their face. There was even a particular coffee shop that appeared to serve only those with one eye, and I often felt quite out of place inside of it. The fact that I neither wore an eye patch, nor even had an empty socket that I kept bare for those who passed by to peer into, set me quite apart from everyone else who bought their morning coffee here. My appearance seemed so severe as to even cause the girl behind the counter to treat me with some concern whenever I came inside to order. As she poured me my coffee, it was always as if she could not bear the scrutiny of a second eye watching her, and feeling rather on the spot, could hardly help trembling from how watchful this two-eyed face of mine seemed to be.

But whatever this neighbourhood happened to be lacking in legs and eyes and other assorted missing limbs, it more than made up for with all of the dead birds that lay scattered all over its sidewalks. They were often just babies, and they could be found in clusters of three or four, their bright yellow mouths hanging open and filling with the ants that came up through the cracks in the pavement. Whenever I saw them I would walk quickly past, not wanting to stare at them for too long in case they moved. If they moved, I knew I would have no idea what I was supposed to do with them. Of course I would stop, and stare at them, and see if they were alright, but then what?

Knowing myself, I was fairly certain that I wouldn’t have it in me to just leave them lying there on the sidewalk—this seemed too heartless—but I also knew I wouldn’t have the first idea of how to make them better if I ended up taking them home with me. Once inside of my apartment, the reality was that they would just end up dying horribly in my bathroom sink, regardless of all the crumpled up paper towels I’d put inside of it in order to give it a place to rest comfortably. This hardly seemed a much better fate than just letting them stay on the sidewalk and be trampled to death, and so I determined that it was for the best not to try and rescue anything. When on the street I would always keep walking forward, not looking down, pretending everything at my feet was already dead

It would have made my life easier if I could have just stayed inside all day long, kept my eyes clean from the sight of all those stumps and dead birds, but since I had an unusual hatred of my new apartment, I found myself going outside often, even for the most menial, unnecessary of tasks. I did this to get away from the bare walls I hadn’t decorated; to escape the sound of the enormous generator outside of my window that whirred to life every day at noon and caused my whole apartment to thrum like it was being administered electro-convulsive therapy.

One particularly hot afternoon, as I lay beneath my covers, sweating, unsure of what I should do with the rest of my day, I thought to myself: “Maybe I’ll go get myself some lemonade”. It was a thought that for a brief moment made me feel excited at having something to do, and since I was thirsty, there seemed to be some point in this task I had come up with for myself. Finding my pants, and putting on my shoes, I left the apartment not feeling horrible. This pleasant mood would be short lived though since my street was unwilling to be kind to me long enough to give me even enough time to quench my thirst.

As usual there were wheelchairs everywhere for me to step around as I made my way towards the corner store. Most were easy enough to ignore, grown still at the side of the pavement, teetering on the edge of the curb as if its shrivelled occupants were completely at ease with the threat of tumbling out into the traffic. Others though were piloted by more aggressive drivers, who as they sped past, would waggle their stumps at me in frustration for being in their way. Those that were drunk would slosh foamy explosions of warm beer at me as they shook their fists and screamed “Gehhhdaaaahrd Dewwaaayyy” as they whirred past. Those that were sober could articulate their intense dislike of me with a much cleaner annunciation, and I could only pretend to not hear what they’d said, since I had already learned it was never a good idea to talk back to anyone in a wheelchair. At least not in this neighbourhood.

One man in particular though was doing something rather different. He was rolling backwards, seeming unable to control his chair and grimacing. I watched him as he struggled with his wheelchair, and continued to watch as I saw him back over a bird that had just fallen out of its nest to the sidewalk. There was a flurry of feathers, some agonized chirping, and then I could see the injured creature come out from beneath the other side of the chairs whirring wheels. It became immediately apparent that the bird couldn’t walk or fly anymore as it began to pull itself across the pavement with its wings in order to get away from this man who continued to roll backwards, looking dumbly down at the sidewalk, seeming unaware of what he’d just done. Getting closer I could see the birds legs twitch. It’s mouth was snapping open and shut. The man in the wheelchair watched it without changing the expression on his face, which was the sort of crumpled up thing that’s only function seemed to be to holding the cigarette that he was furiously smoking in place.

“Broke its back”, he said to me as I stooped down, thoughts of lemonade now far from my mind, even though I was still terribly thirsty.

I looked at the bird, gasping.

I didn’t want to live in this neighbourhood anymore. How did I get to such a place? There were just too damn many wheelchairs and I could no longer stand all the dead birds.

Everything was horrible.

I picked the bird up and carried him home, his legs dangling between my fingers.

Everyone watched me intently from their wheelchairs.

I would fix him.

crumbsroom 10-19-21 05:17 PM

When I first began buying up all the records in my neighbourhood, using all the dimes I had fleeced from the kids on my street to amass a enormous collection of complete garbage, I had an innate suspicion of any record recorded after 1969. It was a year I believed that everything good suddenly ended. I would only put on something from the dread 70's if I didn't look closely enough at the back cover. Than scoff and say, yup, my cultural expiry date was correct. This **** sucks.

I don't think I checked the back of the Black Sabbath Greatest Hits album I bought one day on Broomhill (a street notorious for its terrible garage sales). I recognized the Hieronimous Bosch, and so was going to give it a go regardless. But I figured it was going to be bad. No matter how good a name that was for a band, it was the 60's. So who could possible care?

Except, when I put the record on, the opening strains of the song they named their band after did something weird to me. While I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, I immediately opened my window wide.I wanted the Hansford Twins next door, who were almost certainly washing their car, to recognize that Satan was near. For the first time in my life, I wanted to share music with other people, instead of hide it away from them.

And I think this was because I realized that music could have different levels of power over me. What I had been listening to up to this point, mostly the Beatles, some Beach Boys, and the Byrds, revealed something vulnerable inside of myself that I didn't want others to know about. But I desperately needed to get in touch with.

Black Sabbath, on the other hand, inflicted something upon the world that I probably felt laughed at these vulnerabilities of mine. It could inflict fear or discomfort. It made me feel bigger and unafraid to let others know that there was also a deep, boiling rage inside of me. It was a noise that could potentially dirty up that car in the Hansfords driveway. Make them have to come outside and clean the stink of Black Sabbath off of it, all over again.

This was a band that introduced myself to a whole new understanding of music. That it can repell you just enough that you lean in closer. It made me understand art as something that can be confrontational. That it can be almost stupidly simple. And through doing so, basically set alight the realization that not everything needs to be beautiful. And by being this deliberately ugly, without any sense of penance, it can be empowering enough to be a spiritual experience as the full force of it caves in your chest.

Thank you Black Sabbath, for making me see the light.

Jinnistan 10-19-21 05:21 PM

Underated rhythm section. Also liked to fix dead birds and wheelchairs.

crumbsroom 10-19-21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2246935)
Underated rhythm section. Also liked to fix dead birds and wheelchairs.

I remember getting into an argument years ago with a supposed metal head, that said it didn't matter that Bill Ward wasn't a part of the reunion.

I was like, what the **** are you talking about. Ward is about as essential as anyone is in that band. I'd easily consider him as one of my top 10 drummers.

One of these days I need to finish that story. I wrote it shortly after it happened and it was too upsetting for me to revisit. Not only because of that poor ****ing bird, but how it was a perfect symbol of everything that was collapsing in my life at the time.

Rockatansky 10-19-21 05:33 PM

Don't have much insightful to add, but yeah, they're great.

I easily prefer Ozzy era to Dio. The former brings a genuine emotion to the music that compensates for his technical inferiority. (I'd also take solo Ozzy over Dio era Sabbath.) But the latter is great too. I even think there's good stuff in the other, less loved eras.

I think Sabotage is my favourite album of theirs as it best balances the experimental direction they started to move in with the sheer, impenetrable heaviness of their earlier albums.

crumbsroom 10-19-21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2246940)
Don't have much insightful to add, but yeah, they're great.

I easily prefer Ozzy era to Dio. The former brings a genuine emotion to the music that compensates for his technical inferiority. (I'd also take solo Ozzy over Dio era Sabbath.) But the latter is great too. I even think there's good stuff in the other, less loved eras.

I think Sabotage is my favourite album of theirs as it best balances the experimental direction they started to move in with the sheer, impenetrable heaviness of their earlier albums.

I don't really follow the non-Ozzy stuff. And I like all of it (except Technical Ecstasy, which I've never heard).

I had Mob Rules a million years ago and almost never listened to it. Because it is just missing that alchemy when it's Dio's voice. As impeccable a band they are, the secret ingredient is Osbourne's voice. It is undefinable. How something can be that frightening, but also so full of pain, is a thing to behold. And it seems absolutely effortless. He seems completely unaware of its effect. It's what puts a person inside of that swinging wall of noise. Shrivelled but still howling.

crumbsroom 10-20-21 01:12 AM

GAY ANDY

On Halloween streets, Gay Andy is out here too. Waving at us from across the street those times we pass him. Dressed like Anne of Green Gables, just like he said he would do. Almost dancing from the excitement of the fat bag of candy he carries with him.

There are also executioners. Two of them in black hoods. Stepping out from shadows and walking shoulder to shoulder. Bored with their axes and dragging them noisily behind them on the pavement. Sometimes they stand under streetlights, motionless. Dark shapes on the corner. Other times, they will be next to us on doorsteps. Saying ‘twick owr tweeat’. A speech impediment that is familiar but that I can’t place.

When I look up at them, I see part of their face they don’t want me to through their eyeholes. Bits of forehead and nose. But not enough to recognize them.

“Twick owr tweeat”, they say in unison. I think of blonde hair. Possibly twins. Big drooping lips that shiver when they can’t pronounce words right. To this day I can still remember their voices and I still don't know who they must have been.

I am Dracula this year. Was also Dracula last year. But don’t have my fangs or cape when I sneak back outside while my grandmother checks my candy for poison. Everyone thinks I am done for the night, but I remember a couple of houses that didn’t answer the door and so I slip up the street. By myself. Get my bag filled with the bad left-over candy. The people inside look at my like I’ve been there before, even though I don’t think I have.

At the end of my street, I can see one executioner is waiting for me. I realize he’s much older when he comes up to me. Am confused when he asks if I want to trick or treat with him. He still doesn’t pronounce his r’s as he leans over me. I don’t even see the other one sneak up behind me. Yank my nearly empty bag from my hands. Hear them laugh as they disappear over a fence.

Sitting on the street corner, I notice another vampire is watching what has happened. Blood is running from the corner of his mouth.

“Hey, you want me to get them?”, he asks me.

I nod and he runs towards where they disappeared. Cape fluttering as he hops a fence. I am glad to have another vampire here to watch out for me since I’m just standing there, not sure what I should do. Not sure when I’m supposed to turn back and go home.

I tell my family what has happened to me as they sit in front of the television. Follow my father outside as he stalks the streets, looking for the executioners. Talks to neighbours he’s never talked to before. As we walk, he lets me know the vampire was probably in on it. That even he is laughing at me, along with the other two. That I should never trust anyone. Not even other vampires.

I don’t want to believe it. Don’t say anything as we walk from street to street. Tell myself I shouldn’t have taken out my fangs. Shouldn’t have left them on the kitchen table. How then maybe I would have had a friend out here. Someone on my side.

No one would have dared then.

crumbsroom 10-27-21 04:59 PM

NO FRIES FOR WOLFMAN

My grandmother had cleaned my witchcraft out from the Scooby-Doo pool. An aborted invisible potion made of mud, assorted spices and bird bread. Dried in a heatwave. Then cracked into pieces by a shovel and some sixty-year-old grit.

My grandfather had toured my Museum of Accidental Death after breakfast. Standing in a bathrobe, staring at the motorcycle crash, and the poor cowboy who’d been dragged skinless across my bookcase. The skeleton of an innocent man hanging from my doorknob gallows. The tombstone I had set upon my pillow as a monument for those who die in their sleep.

And now I was turning into a werewolf. Mistakenly reading lycanthropic incantations all the way to the end. Had meant to stop before it had all come out of my mouth, before the curse could be activated. But I’d been distracted by the grilled cheese my grandmother supplied me with. Had been chewing and chanting at the same time. Spit crumbs into my tomato soup when I realized I had said every last line of it. That I was now surely damned and that both my grandparents were long tired of me and wouldn’t have had the time for any of it.

After lunch, I inspected myself in an unused room. Next to an unused bed. Took off my shirt. Rolled up the legs of my pants. Felt around with my fingers until I found two bony spurs growing from my ankles. Like little clots of hair beneath the skin. But hard. I had never noticed them there before. It seemed this was to be the beginning of the changes. They were already aching. The transformation would be painful, and I would eat my neighbours. I had seen all the movies and knew my fate.

I only dared to tell my friend Chris what was happening to me. He lived in the townhouses, and he took me down to a room at the back of his basement. The one that was dangerous with battery acid. Imprisoned me behind a pile of overturned chairs. Left me down there in the darkness while he found some older boys outside and charged them admission to come see me. They peered over the gauntlet of chair legs to look down at the bumps on my ankles. I began to growl when they didn’t understand what was so scary about that. Tossed pillows and musty blankets at their heads as they grew bored of me. All of them powdered with battery acid. Probably getting in their mouths. Also covering my bare feet as I howled and began frothing at the mouth.

When they began to leave, I escaped from my prison and chased them up the stairs. Followed them outside where they stopped and turned and pushed me into the grass. Asked for their dollar back as I lay there. I could see Chris inside, watching from the kitchen window. Waiting to see what they would do to me. Refusing to come out until it was all over. Frightened by my howling.

He would not give them their money back. Would keep it safe inside his pocket. Inside the kitchen. I was sure he was planning on using it to buy French fries and gravy down at Harry’s Charbroil Grill. I wouldn’t have minded some of those too, even though I wasn’t sure a werewolf could eat that kind of food. Especially one that kept being kicked in the stomach. Who might be beaten up forever.

Later that day, as I watched Chris eat his fries, and I played with the salt and pepper shakers, my guts throbbed as I came to realize I probably didn’t need to be worried over the next full moon. I felt I must have been wrong about everything. I didn’t feel frightening enough. I could tell by how Chris was acting towards me I wasn’t going to turn into anything. You share your fries with a werewolf when you believe them. And I could see Chris was lying to me when he started talking about all the teachers I should maybe consider eating instead.

He knew I couldn’t do any of that. That all of the teachers in the whole world were safe. That I wasn’t a werewolf. He just didn’t want me to notice as the last french fry went into his mouth and the waitress swooped in to scoop away his plate.

"I bet Mrs. Belford tastes awful”, he said. Chewing.

crumbsroom 10-31-21 12:04 AM

The following is a rare example of me trying to write an actual story, proper. My girlfriend signed me up to some short story contest, and I felt compelled to actually write something that had some chance of winning. I didn't want to let her down.

Then I got assigned "Political Satire" as a genre and I realized I was ****ed. I watched Death of Stalin for inspiration and realized this was just not going to happen. I clearly was not cut out for that kind of thing. That takes though, and preparation.

And a point

So facing failure, my usual default mechanism kicked in, and I just started writing about cats.

I didn't win.

VIVE LE CHATS

For the cats of Johnson P. Swivell it was a matter of little importance that the Great Leaders favorite socks had gone missing. They knew nothing of the Leader himself, and even less regarding the well documented softness of his best stockings.

Maybe if they had paid attention to the story on the front page of the previous morning's newspaper, they could have at least read the words of the Great Leader himself as he bemoaned their precious nature, their rarity of comfort and how no one in all history had ever seen such durable knitwear. He raved at great length over this tremendous strength. "Not just beautiful, but indestructible,” he claimed. He boasted of how they had never once torn under the duress of his dangerous toenails which, in a moment at odds with the immaculate appearances he kept up, he admitted to having forgotten to cut for some time now.

“With such a pair of socks, there hardly seemed any need,” he’d written with such a profound sense of loss, one would not only imagine tears in the eyes of all the citizens of Bassinette, but even in those of the Great Leader himself.

Just the thought of such a thing sent shockwaves through the town. This was a man who, even as a newborn, was already known to have been much too engaged with his studies into astronomy, philosophy, chemistry, political science, architecture, archery and Russian literature for common tears. Now, sobbing and keeping himself hid beneath his bedsheets, seemed the only state anyone could imagine him.

It was clear, these were no ordinary socks.

In no time it became the talk of the town, and everyone had their theories as to what had happened. Possibly an abduction, with hopes of a ransom. Or maybe political payback schemed by the leaders of neighboring districts. Only one thing was for certain. This was not simply a matter of these socks becoming lost in the wash. Not a soul would dare suggest the Leader simply give his dryer a second look in the chance that they were still there, only a little further back than he was accustomed to reaching. Such heresy could have been a deadly miscalculation.

“This is a day of mourning,” their leader had written. “A day where neither shoes nor socks of any stripe should be considered as anything but deeply lacking. And more importantly, woefully inappropriate.” Then finishing his declaration with such an abundance of exclamation points, the hearts of his people immediately understood what the passion of this moment was calling for. They too, would consider themselves sockless.

But regardless of all of this, this was hardly a story meant for feline eyes. These were, after all, not the most politically astute of animals, and so preferred to leave all matters of hosiery, leotards, leg warmers and, most especially, men’s socks for the historians and scholars of the day to quibble over.

All they wanted was to be fed, and so could not help but delight in the discovery of Mr. Swivell’s now permanently bare feet. Wandering about his house in solidarity with his Great Leader, such pale slabs of flesh, it turned out, were much more responsive to the kind of biting they liked to give whenever they were in need of a good feeding. And Mr. Swivell, presently grieving and hardly in any state to deny the requests of these cats he loved dearly, soon found himself beginning to feed them with an alarming regularity.

When looking floor bound in the home of Mr. [COLOR=var(--clrSquiggleHighlightTextColor,#000000)]Swivell, it was hard to tell what sight one might marvel at first. The cats had certainly become enormous. Not only fatter, but hairier and toothier, as if some sort of new evolutionary state was taking place in his modest shack of a house. But there was also the sight of his feet, which had been reduced to such a ragged state, one might find themselves wincing with every step he took as he constantly paced in a continuous fret of tin opening and iodine application.
[/color]
Looking at the man closely, as the police officers made sure to do the day he came into their department to inquire about how they were coming along in their search for the Leaders missing socks, revealed him to be a man in distress. Whatever weight his cats had gained, he had shed two-fold. His eye sockets were cavernous and his voice little but a rasp as he explained it was a matter of great personal urgency that these socks be found. “My cats you see...they’re eating me out of house and home.”

The police paid him little mind. They had been dealing with no end of inquiries regarding the Leaders socks these past few weeks, and while they assured everyone an official record would be kept of their concern, they hardly had time to really listen to anything that was said. As for the problems with Swivell’s cats, they suggested he consider getting himself a dog.

“Oh, no,” Mr. Swivell moaned, “My dog just died. It’s much too soon for another.”

“Well, if that’s the case, might I suggest you start standing up to these cats of yours yourself,” one officer suggested, sternly.

Mr. Swivell could only continue to fret. “It’s just that they’re so.... large.

Before he could articulate to the officers just how big they’d truly become, Mr. Swivell began to weaken. If it had not been for a man standing nearby to catch him, he surely would have crumpled to the floor. Slowly, once he had been brought outside and balance was regained, Mr. Swivell began walking away without saying another word, wincing at how painfully potholed the pavement had become over these years.

crumbsroom 10-31-21 12:05 AM

Every morning, as cats bit Mr. Swivell into wakefulness, he recited a small prayer for forgiveness. With untold numbers of cat teeth presently sunk deep into his cold and dirty feet, and his stomach turning itself upside down in a madness of hunger, his early morning thoughts were rarely in tune with the Great Leader’s suffering.

Unless today’s headline was destined to be different from its usual pronouncement that his socks were indeed still missing, Swivell needed to quickly reconsider how he spent his mornings. Kicking away cats or filling his belly with morsels of newsprint he’d torn from the previous day's newspaper, were hardly any substitute for good and hearty prayer. There was, after all, only one life in Bassinette which was destined to be precious, and it was certainly not that of Mr. Swivell. And so, he prayed only for a return of his former state of grace, a return of his socks, and nothing else, so help him God.

Meanwhile, his cats had no time for such religious convictions. They were more bothered by the fact that their appeals to the feet of Mr. Swivell were no longer providing the sustenance they’d grown to expect. With his cupboards almost entirely bare, their suppers could no longer be counted on to be such treats as pot roast, chicken legs or fish entrees that had been baked with the heads still on. With meals now an irregular occurrence at best, the cats had been forced to begin scavenging the neighborhood to satisfy their hunger.

Of course, Mr. Swivell’s preference would have been for them to stay inside. It was a terrible embarrassment having them rampaging all over the city, but there was little he could do, as there was never any shortage of unmended holes in his walls for the cats to slip through when he wasn’t looking. Mr. Swivell would sometimes even see them ransacking the homes of his neighbors as he hobbled about town delivering mail. As he crept up onto their porches, they’d open the door to scold him about all the food that had been taken. About the terrible biting habits their pets had learned from his. And as Mr. Swivell shamefully walked away, he would see his cats come bustling out of the unmended holes of his neighbor's walls, sometimes with new friends alongside of them, hungry for whatever a few bitten feet could get them.

Food quickly became scarce in Bassinette, as did the prospect of ever seeing a single soul walk its streets unaffected by a limp. A town meeting was called in desperation, and as one barefooted soul after another wandered into the town hall, all sorts of shouting began as the room filled past capacity. Farmers shouted at shopkeepers, bankers shouted at clerks, parents shouted at grandparents, and the fewer problems they solved, the louder it became.

“I can’t possibly do my barefooted duty with all my cats behavin’ like Swivell himself raised ‘em”, one man screamed while pointing towards some injustice done to his ankles.

“And what about food?”, cried another, “At this rate we’ll need to ask the cats politely if we can eat them. They’ve gotten so bloody big; we’ll no doubt need their permission if it comes to that.”

“Don’t you dare,” a woman in a bonnet scolded, “I’d sooner be bitten right down to the bone, than for anyone to lay a single tooth on my poor Francis. He’s full of such love. He truly is!”

As everyone shouted about the same thing, little consensus could be found amongst the people of Bassinette. Hearing his name repeatedly mentioned amongst the clutter of voices, Mr Swivell only shrunk to the back of the room, feeling his voice was much too soft to be of any use to the discussion. He simply waited for his moments to chime in for the obligatory “And Godspeed to our leader’s socks”, then fell back into stony silence.

Suddenly, a voice rose above the din. “Or maybe we'll just put our damned shoes back on.”

Crawling up onto a table, a young girl now stood high enough above the others they could see she was not only wearing shoes, but also knee-high socks, defiantly pulled all the way up. “Our leader does not care a lick about us. He only raises our taxes. Allows our homes and roads to fall into disrepair. Overruns our headlines with his childish sulking. Yet here we are, fretting over where he has misplaced his precious socks. But why? I say lace up. All of us! Lace up! And then stand up!”

The girls voice rang with sincerity and passion. But then, so did the grumbling that began once she finished speaking. Few knew the girl well, only that she was some know-it-all who’d recently come to Bassinette and been making trouble ever since it was made clear she would need to discontinue her studies at an out-of-town university. She seemed not to understand how vulgar it would have been for her to graduate with a degree their leader did not yet have the time to earn himself.

“Still smarting over your wounded book smarts, I see,” an old crone cackled from the corner of the room.

“You think your fancy shoe wearing makes you better than us?”, asked another, proudly holding up one of his bare feet in a fit of flexibility so poorly timed, he would be immediately knocked over by the surging crowd.

“Guess you ain’t knowed mobs like us don’t need to read up words before we start smashing in girl skulls badly, did you?”.

Such a string of words immediately brought cheers to the crowd. And as this gentleman began to jump up and down on the only book he could find nearby, a stapled pamphlet of Bassinette road signs dropped in the melee by a driving instructor, a jumble of distorted faces pushed forward to grab the girl. Even Mr. Swivell began reaching out, as if he even had the strength in him to participate in such a forcible sock removal.

But, before violence could overtake the scene, the girl quickly jumped from her place on the table and ran from the town hall, shouting her revolutionary chant of “Lace up, stand up” as she disappeared down the street.

The crowd briefly considered giving chase, but after a few steps upon the harshly textured wood grain of the town hall floor, they instead all came to agree heated pursuits of young girls were not what the Great Leader would want. At least not for anyone but himself, and they soon returned to shouting things with great passion.

While no official plans had been hatched during their meeting, many women of Bassinette found themselves inspired to make replacement socks for the Great Leader. They decided they would do so in secret, and as they all returned home, a great clacking of knitting needles soon filled the lives of families who had no notion what their wives and mothers were up to for such lengths of time, locked in the bathroom as if troubled digestively.

One by one, these socks were sent anonymously to the palatial grounds of the Great Leader. As the towns sole letter carrier, Mr. Swivell oversaw delivering these boxes, each seemingly adorned with all manner of ribbons, sometimes even with suggestive words written on the attached tags. The Great Leader’s palace was quite a walk from the city, but Swivell didn’t mind. It was a relief to get away from the troubles of Bassinette, however briefly. By now, the cats had taken over the streets and to walk them alone was a great danger. Even more so on an empty stomach.

Once delivered, there would never be any public acknowledgement of how these gifts had been received. With half of those who worked at the press now sidelined by all manner of heinous foot injury, reporting had become unreliable. There were hardly even stories on the growing nuisance of the cats, even though one only needed to peek outside to see how that situation was unfolding. Now the size of small horses, these beasts were regularly dragging inhabitants of Bassinette out into the roads, openly feasting on whatever flesh was exposed to them.

Curled in a second story window, the young girl watched as her neighbors dragged themselves through the street on their hands, their feet now little more than a clacking arrangement of bone. Her features showed no empathy for what she saw. Only great focus on keeping the flag she waved above them trilling in the wind. Emblazoned with the words “Vive Les Chats”, she felt the French was a nice touch as it had once been her minor in college. She smiled.

Meanwhile, off in the countryside, the Great Leader kept by his window, unaware of the tragedies unfolding. He was much too busy trying on socks, then gently tossing them down towards his garden when he found them unsatisfactory. Some were too warm. Some too itchy. Others, he was unsure what was so bothersome about them. Maybe only that they’d made him even more certain his missing socks truly were irreplaceable.

Letting out a tremendous sigh, he began to slowly open another package.

crumbsroom 11-07-21 01:18 AM

SLOW CANNIBALS

One day my father showed up, went into a room and stayed there. Now he lived with my grandparents too.

I had never thought about how my grandparents were his mom and dad. How this meant he’d been here before me. Now he was at the end of the hall, in his sister’s old room. Me in his.

He brought his mental cat with him. Its belly was bright pink, licked clean of fur. Had never seen another person before. Looked at his new home like the walls and all the people in it were on fire. Hid in the basement for months. My father kept to his bed, hiding in his own way. Kept setting his pants on fire in his sleep. Defective lighters exploding in his pockets. He’d wake up with a shriek and his thighs burnt. Pink like the belly of his cat.

Everything in his room had smoked two packs a day, back in the small apartment he’d barely escaped from. Everything gummy and yellow. A photograph of his wife next to his bed looked old and from another time. Made brittle from all the cigarettes he’d smoked while staring at it. His fingers were orange. He’d burned a hole through the only music he listened to. A cassette he’d mistaken for an ashtray. Now it played slow in all the places that had been melted. His eyes would droop with every strange warble in the singer's voice. As if all the places his cigarette touched made him feel closer to it.

Sometimes we would meet in the room between us. Play video games all day. Forget there were any grandparents at all. He was older and smarter and his hands were much bigger but I was better than him. Would beat him over and over again. Would laugh and laugh except for those times he won and he wouldn’t believe me when I said I’d let him. That’s when I’d get angry. Throw my joystick at his head.

He’d stand up and snap his between his hands. Both the joysticks now broken, laying on the floor. For a second I thought he would hit me. And when he didn’t, I hit him. Right in the center of his chest.

He’d complain all day about how bony my fists were. That this was why his face had turned red. Why he’d cried out in pain.

crumbsroom 11-14-21 05:04 PM

THREE DEATHS PACKED A SUITCASE

Death #2

Pamela wasn’t the sort of cat you imagined getting eaten by a dog. In the middle of the day, on someone’s lawn. It seemed such a loud awful thing to happen. And she had always been so quiet. Would move so carefully.

We hadn’t seen it happen so couldn't know for sure. But we noticed when the dog across the street was no longer there. A sudden disappearance just days after Pamela went missing. It used to bark behind a chain link fence all day. Sometimes escaping, roaming the streets, full of cat-eating teeth. Now the people who lived there acted like they never had a dog. Were always staring at the ground when they came outside.

It was possible Howard had been watching. That he knew what had happened to Pamela. Maybe even knew what happened to the dog. He was always outside, somewhere. Watching from bushes. Up in trees. The kind of places you could keep unseen and not be expected to help.

Now with Pamela gone the house was all his. And if he had seen something bad, it was never anything to disturb his sleep. He'd always be in his spot, halfway up the stairs. Just like before. Eyes closed. Only opening when he sensed something he didn’t approve of had come inside. But only slightly.

crumbsroom 11-16-21 05:33 PM

THREE DEATHS PACKED A SUITCASE

Death #1: The Night the Dog Turned Into a Cat

As far as I knew, it had always lived near the washing machine. There was a spot on the cement floor where the window-well cast down a rectangle of light, and from there it would sit and watch all those who came down the basement stairs. I had only seen it once as I sat on the top step, looking down towards where my grandmother stood holding it by the collar.

“Don't come down here”, she had hissed. “Get yourself back upstairs”

He was put in the basement whenever I came to visit. But even when kept out of sight, I hardly needed to lay eyes on the beast to know of its decent into madness. Evidence of the time it otherwise spent running wild through the home could easily be found if inclined to look. Peeking up the pant legs and rummaging through the hairlines of those who had been attacked over the years, I found myself delighted by all sorts of strange malformations twisted into the flesh of my relatives. Before I had even seen the animal, I had already gotten a good sense of what its teeth looked like. Would imagine them down in the darkness beneath me, glistening.

My grandmother did not like to show off such things that made her think herself ugly. Was ashamed of the swollen pink marks it had carved into her scalp. But others in my family were willing to oblige as I followed them around the house, yanking on their clothes, demanding to see their best scars before I was sent back to my mothers. My father was always more than happy to roll his shirt sleeve up and turn his mangled arm beneath the kitchen light. The hands of both my aunts were discoloured with bite marks. And although he was never willing to show me his half-eaten shins, my grandfather claimed to have suffered the most vicious attack of all. While no one believed him, I was left imagining all the bone that would be showing if only he didn’t roll his socks up to his knees.

When I came to stay with my grandparents, permanently this time, I thought of the dog in the basement. Rennie was his name, and I found myself wondering what part of me he would end up biting as we drove towards my new home. How I would show my father and aunts and grandparents what it had done to me. Let them see how I had been changed by him now too.

But, it wasn’t to be. I would not be the only new addition to the home my grandparents were bringing with them that day. A black cat they had named Pamela had been found in front of a Chinese Food Restaurant, and after eating dinner, we took her with us too. And as we came into the house where we both now lived, Pamela jumped from my grandmothers arms and hid, while I pulled up a chair in the kitchen and waited for a mauling that would never come.

My grandparents looked everywhere for where Pamela had run to. Downstairs, I could hear Rennie growling, as if it knew something had changed. And I would be put to bed soon after, before the cat was found, before the dog was let up from the basement.

By the next morning, Rennie was dead. Long after I had fallen asleep, they had let him upstairs to feed. But instead of eating, he had laid next to the feet of my grandfather and stopped breathing. No one had even noticed until suddenly Pamela was in the kitchen with them. How strange for her to be so unconcerned about the terrifying animal slumped nearby on the floor. For a moment they worried he would get up and attack the tiny cat. Until they slowly realized what had happened.

It would turn out Pamela had been hiding in the fireplace. She had blended in with the color of the ash blackened brick. Had been impossible to see. The next morning there were still sooty pawprints all over the floor. I ate breakfast and looked at them. Chewed my cereal. Thought of a dog that no longer existed. And the cat that was now around here, somewhere.

Jinnistan 11-17-21 03:51 PM

Damn, I've got some catching up to do.

crumbsroom 11-17-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2254200)
Damn, I've got some catching up to do.

It's just words words and more words. It isn't chronological. It isn't leading to anything. And it isn't going anywhere. One can drift in and out and just read fragments and not really miss anything. One of these days I'll figure a way to make some kind of sense of all of these moments. Maybe once I hit a hundred pages or so I'll trust myself that this might be going somewhere

crumbsroom 11-24-21 07:02 PM

THREE DEATHS PACK A SUITCASE

HOWARD: Maybe Not a Death, Possibly Alive Forever

When my father came to stay, he brought Cody with him. A cat big enough to fill a room. Tongue sticking out and staring as you walked past an open doorway. He would be sitting upright on the floor with his back against the wall, his legs spread wide open, his pink belly sagging between them. Would run away if you looked at him long enough.

When my father's wife left, she hadn't taken the cat with her like she had the tables and chairs. She’d never liked it. Said it had dumb eyes, that it smelled. It reminded her of all his bad decisions as he’d been the one to bring it home. Even though there had been better cats to choose from. There must have been. She’d point at it. Say mean things in front of it, not thinking those big empty eyes it looked at her with could possibly understand what she was saying. My father saying nice things to it when she wasn’t around, just in case it did.

For a while he was alone with Cody in that apartment, giving him baths, wondering what had gone wrong in his life. He drank a lot. When he ran out of beer, he found an old bottle of Danish Kirsberry liqueur in the closet that he’d drink until his lips stuck together. Would wake the next morning with fur stuck to his mouth and a headache full of sugar. His bathroom sopping wet. His arms covered in scratches he couldn’t remember getting. Had no explanation for now that his wife was gone. Unsure the cat had been washed at all as it lay next to him, still smelling bad.

After my father settled into our house, me and my grandparents paid Cody no mind, as he didn’t want anything to do with us. Spent most of his time next to my father on his bed. But Howard seemed unable to stop looking at him. Couldn’t understand where this cat had come from. Or why he never left. Always inside on carpets, licking his belly hairless. Never going anywhere. Rarely even going into the backyard, as the birds and the grass and the wind scared him. Would get him scratching his way through the screen door to get back inside if forgotten out there for too long.

Howard would sometimes stare at him, this cat that filled my father’s room. He also noticed his dumb eyes. His smell. And for this he didn’t trust my father for having brought such a thing here. Began spending more and more time away from us. Sometimes disappearing for days. Then forever.

My grandmother searched the streets for him all winter. Asking the neighbours if she could look in their garages. Going into their backyards to see if he’d been frozen into their pools. But never any cats anywhere but the big fat one in my father’s bed who no one but my father had ever loved. Who stared back at us like he didn't want to be here either.

crumbsroom 11-24-21 09:03 PM

THREE DEATHS PACK A SUITCASE

Suitcase Street

When I came to my grandparents the day the dog died, I didn’t know I was coming to stay. No one told me anything. Kept thinking I was getting away with something when I just kept staying, day after day. Hoping I had been forgotten. Worrying whenever someone came to the door. Thinking they were here to bring me back.

I remember a woman selling tins of cat food on the porch. Tapping a fork she had produced from her pants pocket on the lid of a can as if to draw me outside. I stood behind my grandmother's legs as she asked how much a carton of this cat food would cost. If she could get a deal. I tugged on her shirt in hopes of letting her know I was frightened of this woman. That maybe she was sent here by my mother.

I also remember the man who sharpened knives standing out front of our house with his machine. Grinding blades, and sparks shooting up into his teeth. Looking up towards where I watched from the window. Thinking I had maybe seen him at my mother's once. Sitting on a couch. A friend of an uncle. An old man who had drunk beer in my old house. Maybe he recognized me, even hidden behind the curtains.

Only after a long time did I forget how I didn’t always live here with my grandmother. Did I feel this was my house too. That no one was bringing me back. But sometimes my grandmother would get very angry. You could never tell when it would happen. It could happen anytime, even when things were going good. Sometimes she would give me a weird look if I told her I hadn’t asked for any soup as she stood holding a giant steaming bowl for me. Or if told her I didn’t remember doing something she told me I had done. Her eyes would change color. Her lips would disappear. It would be on these days, when she would pack my stuff in a small suitcase and leave it at the top of the stairs for me to find, that I would remember I once had another home too.

“Why don’t you go see if your mother wants you”. My grandmother would tell me as I picked up the suitcase. She would be standing at the end of the hall looking at me. Her white hair sticking up. Frowning. Then disappear into a room when I said nothing. Just stood there silently wondering if she had packed enough for me. Afraid to ask. Usually, she only filled it with t-shirts and socks. Always a toothbrush but never anything for me to play with on my trip away from here.

I remember the road I used to walk down, with my little blue suitcase bumping against the side of my leg. A big sky above it. Walking towards a street with lots of cars. A busy street with people going all sorts of places. I decided once I got up there, I would follow these cars, wherever they were going. Surely one of them was driving towards wherever my mother was. And if my grandmother hadn’t caught up with me, as she always would, apologizing and promising me more soup I didn’t want, I imagine I would have stepped into that street. Begun running. Hoping to keep up with whatever car I decided would bring me somewhere.

When Howard disappeared years later, it was this same street I once again found myself wandering up and down. I called it Suitcase Street and I was on it nearly every night. Looking for him. Calling out his name. Worried he’d gone too far and stepped into that busy street. Started chasing the wrong car.

My grandmother had given up on him. Back in the winter. But it was now spring, and I was still looking. All by myself, calling his name. Calling his name. Would stay out until it got dark. Until I saw my father standing far away on the corner in front of our house, having come outside to watch me walk up and down the street, calling out for a cat we both knew was never coming back.

“I’m worried about you”, he’d tell me when I grew near to where he stood, somewhere beneath a streetlight. “Just because he’s gone, doesn’t mean he’s dead. You know that, right? Maybe he found somewhere else to live for awhile. Just try and imagine him being somewhere else and happy.” He shrugged. “It’s possible”

When we got back inside, I would go to my room and my father to his. Cody on his bed as always, just sitting there. Rarely moving. Never going anywhere. Just staring and licking and pink bellied. Still so many years from the day he would eventually disappear too. Forgotten outside one night while my father slept. Him waking to the sound of a dog in the street and not knowing he was still out there. Hearing someone scream “let it go, let it go” and not understanding what they were screaming about. Going back to sleep and never forgiving himself.

For two months my father looked for his cat. Up and down that street. Calling his name long after the rest of us had stopped.

“Cody...Cody...Cody”

Sometimes I suspected my father didn’t want to come back. Had been waiting for someone to pack his suitcase too. All this time. For it to be waiting for him at the top of the stairs whenever he went out to look for Cody. That with it in hand, he could be free to keep walking. Down to that busy street, where he could chase cars and yell his cats name until his voice grew hoarse. Until he disappeared like the rest of them.

Jinnistan 12-01-21 05:49 PM

Ah, now I'll have plenty of time to finally brush up on these last couple of entries.

*breaks glasses*

crumbsroom 12-23-21 04:24 PM

GHOST NIGHT

None of her ghosts could spell. Didn’t know what to do with her hands, moving them strangely all over the board. The women huddling in the kitchen looked down at her fingers. Followed them letter to letter. Reading. Mouths moving. Making sounds that weren’t words but did seem like noises from the beyond.

“JjjjjjjjhhhOooooooJjjjjjjjhhhheePpppTttttthhFffffffT”

The old woman paid no mind to the mysterious, unpronounceable words she was spelling out on the table, beneath the candlelight, amongst the smell of beer and unwashed hair. Her faint, almost lifeless blue eyes had instead turned backwards, staring somewhere inside of her head. Somehow finding something to read in that impossible darkness. Messages telling her whose husbands were unfaithful. What children would soon develop bedsores. Where a long missing favorite hat could be found. Behind a bush in the neighbours backyard.

The women who came to hear their fortunes told by this old woman listened with reverence. Made sucking sounds on the brown bottles full of beer they sucked on. Sometimes asking if it had got cold in here, or if it was just them. Just really suddenly cold.

Around the table all of them nodded. Yes, it had. Real cold. But it had to be expected, considering the company they were keeping. Maybe even sort of frightening. Each one of them at some point in their lives had been warned to stay away from these witch boards. And especially the types of old women whose fingers were at home crawling across them. Nervously, some of them would laugh as they sucked some more on their beer. Finding themselves wanting the lamp in the kitchen to be turned back on. Lighting cigarettes and blowing smoke up at the ceiling. Up where all the ghosts were watching them from.

Sometimes my father would be sitting amongst these women. He didn’t want to but it was where the beer was and my mother gripped his wrist with her fingernails so he couldn’t leave. She wanted what was happening here in her kitchen to impress him. Have him notice how her mother could talk to the dead. How this might make her special too and make my father look directly at her. Into her eyes when he talked to her. Instead of down at the floor. Or at the fingers of the old woman, his brain hurting from trying to figure out what she was spelling.

Her strange words had curdled the warm beer that had settled in his head. He was doing his best to rinse it all away with something cold and fresh out of the refrigerator. Sitting there, next to my mother. Saying nothing as the spirts around them began to call him a cheating son-of-a-bitch.

crumbsroom 01-07-22 05:16 PM

GHOST NIGHT PART 2: GRAMMA’S GHOSTS, MY GHOSTS

The ghosts that come for my Gramma go to the kitchen. Everything else comes to find me in the bedroom where they put me. Whenever she visits, ending up behind this door. Twisting the doorknob. Not locked but never opening. Like someone is holding it from the other side. A large hand I imagine with hair on its knuckles.

No one comes, even though I’m shouting. Not allowed to go out there to be with them. All the women at the kitchen table say I’m too young for the kind of business they are up to. An age much too vulnerable to possession by the devil. That I’m better off in this room with no lightbulbs in any of the lamps. Pressing against a door I can’t open. The light through the window growing dimmer as the ghosts come and the women drink.

I’m not frightened of my Gramma’s ghosts. They mostly just gossip. Make the kitchen cold. Instead, I worry most about what was once down on the street below but now knows can come inside. The things that live in bushes. Stand beneath streetlights looking up at me. That can climb up the sides of buildings, up twelve stories towards my window. The sound of their fingernails growing nearer. The kind of things that come when my gramma starts talking with the dead. That don’t go into the kitchen. That know where they have put me.

When I listen to the door, the kitchen and the noises that come from it seem safer than being in here. On my knees. Turning the doorknob and going nowhere.

crumbsroom 01-12-22 04:03 PM

GHOST NIGHT PART 3: TWO MONSTERS IN THE THEREABOUT VICINITY OF MY MOTHER’S APARTMENT

Maybe it was the neighborhood. A place where bad things stuck, where hiding was easy. A good place for monsters. Surrounded by parking lots wherever we walked. Cars quiet and still and full of darkness. Windows rolling down, just a crack, to catch our scent. We’d rush inside, but even there, no safety. A hallway with thick drifts of shadows piled high against the walls. Having to walk to the end of it. This lousy apartment with neighbours listening at their doors. Having to go all the way to the furthest end. Where my mother lived. Where I lived too.

My mother would fumble with her keys, and I’d look around, sure her hands were shaking because of something she’d seen that I had not. Maybe someone behind us on the street. Or rising from these shadows that crowded in on us, shuffling as if about to release what had curled up beneath them. I could never be sure what it was. I looked around, everywhere, trying to see it too.

Or maybe our neighborhood wasn’t any worse than anywhere else. Maybe the whole world was full of monsters, and my mother just had the kind of eyes to see them better. The kind of ears that recognized when the noises of trees or traffic that came from behind us, were in fact footsteps. Realizing it before I did. Poking me in the side so I knew she’d seen something. Telling me to never dare look back as we started to run. And once inside, back home, telling me to fall asleep before they could get me. Her body laying next to mine, eyes already closed. Somehow still seeing as she mumbled, quieter and quieter: “It’s here...and remember...it only takes the last one to fall asleep”

The monsters had names, and somehow my mother knew them. Maybe not all of them, but the ones that came most often. During daytimes she would start to warn me of The Nap Burgler. I always knew he would be coming as soon as she grew weary of the television. Sleep would suddenly become necessary, a matter of survival, even though there were no curtains in the bedroom she brought me to, and the light would get in my eyes. Growing hot beneath the covers, she would lift an arm to point towards the door. “Do you see? Do you see?” Not every shadow was him. But most were.

Holding me tight, she told me to listen. To hear what she heard. He was in the kitchen. Moving towards the bathroom. He was coming and she was now closing her eyes. But first reminding me of who he took and who would be saved. That I must fall asleep quickly. Before her, if I could. It was the only way to be safe. And as the tickle of her breath in my ear turned to snoring, I was never sure if pretending would be enough when I couldn’t. Once again, I was the last one awake. Laying next to the noise of my sleeping mother in that bright bedroom. Trying not to move. Eyes scrunched tight. Hoping when I opened them again, I would still be here.

Unlike The Nap Burgler, the Man of Arms only came at night. He also kept outside, although I’m sure he would have liked to get in. He was always out there when we came home at night. On the prowl for slow moving children. The ones who couldn’t keep up with their mothers as they began to hurry from the cold. With only two legs, he could not run any faster than us, but with six arms there was no end of the reaching he could do. So many fingers snapping just behind my neck as my mother shouted back at me to hurry. To not turn around. I couldn’t have bared the sight of him, writhing from the weight of so many appendages. All snatching and grabbing and wanting handfuls of hair.

Only once inside would my mother draw me to the window and point down at the street. Show me where she’d seen him. And I would nod, that I could now see him too. That he was climbing trees to get closer to us, now twelve storeys safely above him. That he wore a black hat and had straw like hair that stuck out from his head like that of a scarecrow.

I couldn’t see him really, but I said I could, just so we could start to laugh at him. Out there, unable to get in.

crumbsroom 01-14-22 04:13 PM

GHOST NIGHT PART 4 – MORNINGS WITH BELLY BOY

After an evening of ghosts, my mother would sleep in late. I would hover above her in bed, on my elbows, tangled and tied to her legs by a rope of twisted-up blankets. Try to wake her. Pinch her nose and drop cats on her head. Push her eyelids up with my fingers to find empty sockets. Listen for a heartbeat to make sure the ghosts didn’t take her with them. Then untangle myself towards breakfast, leaving her behind in a room gone ugly from a window that trapped in too much dust and let in too much daylight.

By mornings the kitchen would no longer be haunted. I was now free to move about our apartment. All the doors were open. Gramma Theresa would be gone. Her tiny shoes no longer sitting by the front door. Replaced by a fat and round child sitting amongst our sneakers. I hated him. His skin the color of a walnut. Speaking gibberish. A spit-wet chin, small sharp teeth and wobbling back and forth in his loose-fitting diaper. Sometimes rolling over onto his back if he dared look over his shoulder to watch me come into the room.

My mother had warned me many times to never feed this child I knew only as Belly Boy. His parents had already packed enormous lunches for him. Bulging paper sacks filled with an assortment of meats, boiled eggs and puddings I didn’t like the smell of. He didn’t need anything else. He could wait until she woke. Until then, I’d ignore him and eat cereal in front of the television, as he slowly began to crawl towards me. Pulling himself across the floor on his stomach. Growling and gnashing his teeth as if preparing to bite something.

crumbsroom 01-18-22 05:16 PM

GHOST NIGHT PART 5: A FRIDGE APART

Like any child, I had expectations for hiding places. Good ones, not beneath beds or in closets. Better than my mothers, which was on top of the refrigerator. Crawling up there when she didn’t want to be seen. Giggling over how the monsters and ghosts couldn’t see her. How she didn’t need to feed Belly Boy up here. Or even me, as I wandered into the kitchen, pretending not to notice her staring down at me making my own breakfast.

She did not like to be found too quickly. Liked to think she had fooled me. A master of hiding. And when she finally came down, cereal in her hair, shirt speckled with all the insects she’d flattened clinging to the top of that dingy appliance, she refused to tell me where she’d been all this time. Kept it a mystery.

“A mother needs to have a secret place, just for herself”, was all she would confess to. Leaving me to sullenly continue spooning cereal into my mouth, wondering where it was I was supposed to go when I didn’t want to be found.

I already knew this place was no good. Offered me nowhere to go. Not enough furniture to even pretend otherwise. Nothing to get behind or under. Mostly empty rooms that were always too bright, sunlight reaching every corner. The shadows only coming at night, and by then, no longer any good for hiding.

Eventually, I knew they would all find me. These things I worried about. Maybe something my gramma had conjured. Or my mother had named. Or maybe I would just be left to the whims of that unlunched child sitting amongst the shoes. I stared into my milk. Stirred my reflection with a spoon.

Noticing I was no longer watching her, my mother climbed back up onto the refrigerator. Kept herself out of reach from whatever it was that was coming. I pretended not to see her as I continued eating.

GHOST NIGHT: AN EPILOGUE (HOPEFULLY MISSPELLED)

Once again, clinging to a doorknob. Shut in the bedroom. On the other side, a kitchen full of women, their voices a murmur. I wonder if they can see my future out there too. If anyone has bothered to ask. If there are words for what is about to happen to me. If these ghosts can be trusted to spell it right.

If Gramma Theresa knows, she doesn’t say. I will be left unprepared. I have no idea my mother already has a new hiding place in mind. Somewhere I won’t be able to find her when Belly Boy is screaming for food the next morning. Leaving me alone to feed him, even though I’ve been warned never to do this.

There will be no one around to help as he reacts badly to the breakfast I give him. Beginning to melt as he sits across from me on the floor. Leaking out from the loose elastic of his diaper. Becoming a puddle I will need to run from. That I don’t want to step in. Hiding in the bedroom until my mother returns to discover what I’ve done. Her afternoon now spent soaking Belly Boy up with a mop. Bringing him back to his parents. Going down to the end of the hallway, to wring him out at their feet. Her reputation as a babysitter unsalvageable.

“You’ve ruined everything”, she will tell me.

I also wonder if my Gramma can see the fire? What will be the final straw. All my mother’s new Tupperware in the oven. Plastic bowls full of eggs I stuffed in there, now melted. Flames rising as high as the fridge. Enough smoke to scare my mother out from wherever she’s been hiding. Hair on end and screaming. Dragging me out to the balcony, the place where all my bad toys are taken. Where I’ve watched a plastic tractor I used to noisily ride about the apartment, smash to bits in the parking lot below.

There is something my mother wants to show me here. Over the railing. She pushes me over the edge so I can see better. A place far away that she is pointing towards. I see nothing, but maybe like her mother she too is looking into the future. Pointing to the very same spot my grandfather's car will one day be parked. As if she can already see him idling there. Waiting for me to come down with my little suitcase. Having no idea I would never return to this place.

I want to know if Gramma Theresa sees any of this as I listen at the door, twisting the doorknob. Sometimes calling out to them. But instead, I will fall asleep on the floor before I hear anything about me. It seems I will have to wait my turn for the future to come and get me out of here. And I can already feel it coming. Even as I sleep.