Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oppenheimer (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64772)

Yoda 09-10-21 10:36 AM

Oppenheimer

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1436112009435639824

doubledenim 09-11-21 04:17 PM

And the cycle continues. One experiment, one standard.

Gladwell presented a take about the bomb in his last book that I never knew. Basically we had already napalmed Japan into oblivion before the A bombs.

MovieBuffering 09-23-21 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Love any info on a new Nolan flick. I wouldn't call Tenet a misfire, but it wasn't my favorite of his to be sure. Nolan is a dual citizen of USA and England...think he grew up in both. Did Dunkirk for England about WWII, maybe this is his attempted at the American version ha. Or maybe he found a substitute for his Howard Hughes project. (which I still hope he pursues, said it's the best thing he ever wrote, didn't go after it because it was the same time as Scorsese's Aviator)

Heard Cillian Murphy would play Oppenheimer. That would be cool. But I always like seeing Nolan work with fresh talent. Since Oppenheimer has German roots how about Micheal Fessbender? He even kinda looks like him from picture. Who knows love to see where this goes.

Also this meme is great. Dont know how to take it from instagram so here is the link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CT4egdFMgXW/

KeyserCorleone 09-23-21 12:43 AM

And just like that, I now like atom bombs.

MovieBuffering 09-23-21 12:55 AM

Re: Rumor about next Nolan film

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2240366)
Heard Cillian Murphy would play Oppenheimer. That would be cool. But I always like seeing Nolan work with fresh talent. Since Oppenheimer has German roots how about Micheal Fessbender? He even kinda looks like him from picture. Who knows love to see where this goes.
Early front runner for me

https://www.atomicheritage.org/sites...d%20square.jpg

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...65-464-695.jpg

MovieBuffering 10-27-21 11:41 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...er-1235034103/

Sounds like Emily Blunt is about to jump on as Oppenheimer/Murphy's wife.

Corax 10-27-21 11:52 PM

OK, so this is a Nolan film, so the question is... ...how will he make this confusing?

MovieBuffering 10-27-21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2249003)
OK, so this is a Nolan film, so the question is... ...how will he make this confusing?
More like this is a Nolan film. Emily is the wife. How will she die? My guess...in an atom bomb.

Yoda 11-02-21 04:54 PM

Re: Oppenheimer (next Nolan film)

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1455580197906878465

AgrippinaX 11-02-21 05:15 PM

Sounds great. I’m no diehard Nolan fan, but I’ve always wanted to see a good film on Oppenheimer, and I do think Nolan can deliver.

MovieBuffering 11-07-21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2250383)
Christ. I read an article its going be an ensemble and what has been announced is just the tip of the iceberg. Not sure who else he can get. I was not expecting Damon and especially RDJ but I am here for it.

Did a little research. Seems to be at least 2 or 3 more major roles. One of them is Jean Tatlock who had a romance with Oppenheimer and died when she was 30. I have had a feeling and think I read a rumor Jennifer Lawrence was attached to Nolan awhile back. Feel like she is going be cast. Just a feeling. Can't wait to see who else gets cast. Looking epic.

matt72582 11-07-21 07:15 AM

Here's a real interview between Oppenheimer and Murrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSG_G5CVVlM

MovieBuffering 12-11-21 11:43 PM

Christ. Florence Pugh, Rami Malek and Benny Safdie added. Nolan might actually drop an A bomb lol

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...n-oppenheimer/

skizzerflake 12-11-21 11:55 PM

Hmm. Interesting hopefully. I've read several long books on this and it's quite a story, a nexus of science, war, politics, Nazis, Japanese, Soviets and the next war. A long movie or a mini-series or possibly a maxi-series seems appropriate.

FromBeyond 12-12-21 12:39 AM

Got really excited for a second when I opened thread and seen WWII.. thought Nolan might be going big what he done at the beginning of Dunkirk.. those too short scenes before it goes to the beach and becomes something different,.his Saving Private Ryan if you will. I felt that was him experimenting with it. Oh well, this will be interesting too but shucks. Maybe one day, big Nolan uncomplicated war movie.

MovieBuffering 12-12-21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2261460)
Got really excited for a second when I opened thread and seen WWII.. thought Nolan might be going big what he done at the beginning of Dunkirk.. those too short scenes before it goes to the beach and becomes something different,.his Saving Private Ryan if you will. I felt that was him experimenting with it. Oh well, this will be interesting too but shucks. Maybe one day, big Nolan uncomplicated war movie.
I am hoping, probably hopelessly, that he attacks a Western one day. Probably not up his alley but a guy can hope.

Yoda 07-28-22 09:09 AM

Not much, just a glimpse and a release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBZLAx8mM8

xSookieStackhouse 07-28-22 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2320403)
Not much, just a glimpse and a release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBZLAx8mM8
hopefully they release full trailer in a month.

MovieBuffering 08-01-22 10:06 PM

Teaser dropped few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrT5lpK6L1E

xSookieStackhouse 08-01-22 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2321623)
Teaser dropped few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrT5lpK6L1E
do u know when they release full trailer?

MovieBuffering 08-02-22 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2321641)
do u know when they release full trailer?
If I had to guess with Nolan probably during the holidays most likely Christmas. I'd check the biggest Universal movie coming out during the holidays and expect it in front whatever it is. Maybe it will drop earlier, but Nolan and Universal will want it in front of a big release.

Movie isn't being released until next July, still a year away.

xSookieStackhouse 08-02-22 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2321666)
If I had to guess with Nolan probably during the holidays most likely Christmas. I'd check the biggest Universal movie coming out during the holidays and expect it in front whatever it is. Maybe it will drop earlier, but Nolan and Universal will want it in front of a big release.

Movie isn't being released until next July, still a year away.
oh okay thank you for letting know i hope like maybe jan or feb next year. oh yes cause it does look like blockbuster movie

xSookieStackhouse 12-18-22 09:12 PM

Oppenheimer (2023)

heres the official trailer
https://youtu.be/bK6ldnjE3Y0

John W Constantine 12-18-22 10:39 PM

Re: Oppenheimer (2023)

why so serious?

xSookieStackhouse 12-18-22 11:13 PM

???

skizzerflake 12-18-22 11:49 PM

This could be good. The story behind the bomb is an epic project and Oppenheimer was right in the dead center of the development. Sometimes people get the idea that the US development of the bomb was overkill, but we forget that the Japanese, British, Germans and the USSR were doing something similar so somebody was going to get there first, and since it was all secret, nobody was publicizing how far along they were. Whoever got there first would control a large piece of the future.

If anybody was going to do a new movie on The Bomb (it's been done several times before), Nolan seems like the guy. The project was huge, with an uncertain outcome and Oppenheimer had the conceptual grasp about how to do it. I got a chuckle at Matt Damon as Gen. Leslie Groves, a blustering, take command, military sort of guy who spent a couple of years poking the scientists with sticks to keep things moving. I'll be curious to see what Damon does with the role.

xSookieStackhouse 12-18-22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2353907)
This could be good. The story behind the bomb is an epic project and Oppenheimer was right in the dead center of the development. Sometimes people get the idea that the US development of the bomb was overkill, but we forget that the Japanese, British, Germans and the USSR were doing something similar so somebody was going to get there first, and since it was all secret, nobody was publicizing how far along they were. Whoever got there first would control a large piece of the future.

If anybody was going to do a new movie on The Bomb (it's been done several times before), Nolan seems like the guy. The project was huge, with an uncertain outcome and Oppenheimer had the conceptual grasp about how to do it. I got a chuckle at Matt Damon as Gen. Leslie Groves, a blustering, take command, military sort of guy who spent a couple of years poking the scientists with sticks to keep things moving. I'll be curious to see what Damon does with the role.
it does look good, me and my carer going to see it. i deffo know it will in box office

skizzerflake 12-18-22 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2353908)
it does look good, me and my carer going to see it. i deffo know it will in box office
To me, it looks like a winner, but I'm a science geek, so it's an obvious story to me...don't know about anybody else.

xSookieStackhouse 12-18-22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2353909)
To me, it looks like a winner, but I'm a science geek, so it's an obvious story to me...don't know about anybody else.
i reckon it would be an oscars movie choice, that would be true i know some biopic movies look good story

Sedai 12-20-22 03:19 PM

@xSookieStackhouse

I merged this in with the thread that already existed for this upcoming film. Please make sure to check if a thread exists before creating new threads.

Thanks for posting the new trailer! :)

xSookieStackhouse 12-20-22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2354478)
@xSookieStackhouse

I merged this in with the thread that already existed for this upcoming film. Please make sure to check if a thread exists before creating new threads.

Thanks for posting the new trailer! :)
i did checked i went search and didnt see the thread

Sedai 12-20-22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2354500)
i did checked i went search and didnt see the thread
Comes right up when you search for Oppenheimer

xSookieStackhouse 12-20-22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2354502)
Comes right up when you search for Oppenheimer
welll when i searched it up i couldnt see it

skizzerflake 12-21-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2261460)
If you're into epics (Nolan certainly is that), it's hard to find something bigger than the story of the Bomb, at least not since the parting of the Red Sea. The politics and history and future of fission dominated the remainder of the 20th century and continues into this one. Several other movies have been done, starting in 1947 with The Beginning or the End. I don't know that we have answered that question yet.

skizzerflake 12-21-22 03:38 PM

"Movie isn't being released until next July....."

It doesn't seem like a holiday movie, especially in light of Oppenheimer's famous quote from the Bhagavad Gita - “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds”.

skizzerflake 12-21-22 11:40 PM

Deleted message - the IMDB trailer didn't work.

skizzerflake 12-21-22 11:41 PM

Deleted message - trailer didn't work.

xSookieStackhouse 12-22-22 03:11 AM

https://youtu.be/bK6ldnjE3Y0

xSookieStackhouse 12-22-22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2354974)
Deleted message - trailer didn't work.
i fixed it for u i posted the trailer *

FromBeyond 12-24-22 10:10 AM

I don't get why trailers come out 7 months before a film is release.... Did it used to be this way, I don't think so.

John W Constantine 12-24-22 12:01 PM

It's been that way for quite a while, December is usually par for big tentpole summer movies to release one.

german.gonza.pasto 03-22-23 06:05 AM

Nolan never made a bad movie.

John-Connor 05-08-23 06:09 AM

Oppenheimer | New Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPbbksJxIg

Mr Minio 05-08-23 06:54 AM

Here's a powerful statement on this movie from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1fs0TCDbkc

John W Constantine 05-08-23 10:33 PM

Wow

AKA23 05-09-23 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by german.gonza.pasto (Post 2379172)
Nolan never made a bad movie.
While I like a lot of Nolan's work, I disagree with this. In my opinion, "Tenet" was a bad movie. It was impossible to understand what was going on. I could watch that movie 10 times and still not understand the plot.

matt72582 05-09-23 03:01 PM

https://youtu.be/xSG_G5CVVlM

MovieBuffering 05-16-23 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by AKA23 (Post 2386573)
While I like a lot of Nolan's work, I disagree with this. In my opinion, "Tenet" was a bad movie. It was impossible to understand what was going on. I could watch that movie 10 times and still not understand the plot.
Yea I appreciated his ambition on that flick but was way to muddled. He has had complexed stories before where he relied on the audiences smarts to catch up like in Inception...however Inception you felt like you could grasp on at points and catch up. Tenet never really had those markers so you always felt behind.

I also thought the casting was weird. Denzel's kid was sort of wooden to me and a strange pairing with Debicki. If you are trying to make Denzel's character a badass protagonist pairing him with the lead actress 6 inches taller without shoes was distracting. It shouldn't be but it was to me¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Not too mention Kenneth Branagh's accent was sort of cartoonish. The casting was just off. Then it had all the pressure of keeping cinema afloat at the height of covid. I think his heart was creatively in the right place but it felt like his worst effort to me.

Now granted I saw it 3 years ago in theaters and haven't revisited it. I may again soon. I do need to give it another chance. I might have more luck at home. The palindrome for a movie is a neat idea but he may have out smarted himself on it.

I am a Nolan mark so I'll be in theaters to watch Opprenheimer. Hopefully it's a return to form...at least I know it will be worth the price of admission for the spectacle.

I'd also say it's between TDKR and this for his weakest movie...but while I do think TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy and his filmography still...I think I just knew way too much about the making of TDKR going into it. The casting really ruined it. I've seen people react to it on YouTube and it's a much better experience going into it blind.

AKA23 05-16-23 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2387687)
I'd also say it's between TDKR and this for his weakest movie...but while I do think TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy and his filmography still...I think I just knew way too much about the making of TDKR going into it. The casting really ruined it. I've seen people react to it on YouTube and it's a much better experience going into it blind.
I agree with you that TDKNR is the weakest film of the Batman trilogy, and am intrigued by your comment. What was it about the casting that ruined it for you? Did you feel like the people cast were not a good fit for their roles, and why?

John W Constantine 06-01-23 07:30 PM

A solid "R" and over 600 lbs of film stock. This guy is always doing stuff.

Holden Pike 06-01-23 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

skizzerflake 06-02-23 01:47 AM

It's a fascinating project. I've read several long books about the Manhattan Project and I can't imagine anybody other than Nolan making a movie out of it. It's a fascinating story of an event that really changed history. It needs science, politics and personalities.

Citizen Rules 06-02-23 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2390551)
It's a fascinating project. I've read several long books about the Manhattan Project and I can't imagine anybody other than Nolan making a movie out of it. It's a fascinating story of an event that really changed history. It needs science, politics and personalities.
Have you seen this?
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)

John W Constantine 06-02-23 09:18 AM

Nolan should have named this Fat Man and Little Boy: A Love Story

Siddon 06-03-23 12:55 AM

IMAX is giving Oppenheimer 3 weeks

Which has pissed off Tom Cruise because his MI film is only getting a week and half.

skizzerflake 06-03-23 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2390555)
Have you seen this?
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)
It's been a while, but yeah. I recall Paul Newman as Leslie Groves, the US general in charge of the project, the guy who was suspicious of everybody and kept the scientific people focused on what was a military project, not an academic/scientific pursuit. I checked on IMDB and then recalled that the guy who played Oppenhiemer in that version (Dwight Schultz) was a guy local to me, who, before movies, was a somewhat regular stage actor in Baltimore theatrical productions. I'd seen him on live stage and met him a couple times early in his career.

Citizen Rules 06-03-23 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2390756)
....I checked on IMDB and then recalled that the guy who played Oppenhiemer in that version (Dwight Schultz) was a guy local to me, who, before movies, was a somewhat regular stage actor in Baltimore theatrical productions. I'd seen him on live stage and met him a couple times early in his career.
Oh freakin cool! I would've loved to seen Dwight Schultz on stage..and you meet him too, very cool was that at a performance or...?

I'm a big fan of Dwight Schultz, I think he's a dynamic character actor. I know him from Star Trek Next Gen, and some guest spots including one helluva performance on Babylon 5...and of course the movie Fatman and Littleboy which I'm rewatching before the countdown.

skizzerflake 06-03-23 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2390757)
Oh freakin cool! I would've loved to seen Dwight Schultz on stage..and you meet him too, very cool was that at a performance or...?

I'm a big fan of Dwight Schultz, I think he's a dynamic character actor. I know him from Star Trek Next Gen, and some guest spots including one helluva performance on Babylon 5...and of course the movie Fatman and Littleboy which I'm rewatching before the countdown.
Schultz grew in the same area I lived in and attended college in what was Towson State College, now Towson University. I was later than him, but he returned and did some college production roles after he graduated. Towson State College had an excellent theater program and hired pros for a few roles in student productions, so that the undergrad actors got some experience working with people who were actual working actors. As a student, I attended their productions (I'm not an actor) which were often followed by a meet-and-greet with the cast members.

BKB 06-12-23 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2390709)
IMAX is giving Oppenheimer 3 weeks

Which has pissed off Tom Cruise because his MI film is only getting a week and half.
To be fair, I'm not really sure who Nolan's movie is aimed at when you consider what the movie is about and why they released this as a Summer movie just because Nolan's name is attached to this?? This seems more like a Fall type of movie and honestly, I'd be a little pissed too if I were Cruise seeing a movie like DEAD RECKONING taking a backseat to OPPENHEIMER on IMAX of all screens.. You don't need to see a movie like OPPENHEIMER on IMAX like you would for Tom Cruise and his elaborate stunts in IMAX..

Sedai 06-12-23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AKA23 (Post 2387805)
I agree with you that TDKNR is the weakest film of the Batman trilogy, and am intrigued by your comment. What was it about the casting that ruined it for you? Did you feel like the people cast were not a good fit for their roles, and why?
After my first viewing, I absolutely would have agreed with you. Alas, watching it a second time knowing that...

WARNING: "Tenet" spoilers below
...the entire film is a temporal pincher, which is the name of the military mission they pull off at the end of the film...

...had the effect of slowing it all down and having it mostly all click into place, and I ended up enjoying it a lot more.

I still say he bit off more than he could chew with Tenet, but i liked it a lot more the second time, and it made a ton more sense.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing his latest at the Dolby Deluxe near me...

John McClane 06-12-23 01:39 PM

I think seeing a nuclear blast on an IMAX screen is better than any scene from any Tom Cruise movie. So Tom can suck it

BKB 06-13-23 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2392164)
I think seeing a nuclear blast on an IMAX screen is better than any scene from any Tom Cruise movie. So Tom can suck it
Just out of curiosity, but did Cruise run over your dog or what that you have this grudge against him?? They really should've opened Nolan's movie in the Fall because this is a movie that people generally don't care about in the Summer at the movies.. I guess we shall see how well this does, but it looks boring and aimed at a certain audience..

John McClane 06-13-23 02:54 AM

Twas sarcasm

But the guy is full of himself and so used to getting his way that I do kinda enjoy seeing him squirm.

I enjoy the Mission Impossible franchise, but Nolan is well known for shooting in IMAX so it makes sense they would bump MI. And it’s not like MI is anymore relevant than a typical summer Marvel movie.

EDIT: Plus, Nolan is doing something groundbreaking for IMAX by shooting in a new B&W film stock. Whereas MI is just more of the same; Tom jumping around to prove he can.

BKB 06-13-23 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2392294)
Twas sarcasm

But the guy is full of himself and so used to getting his way that I do kinda enjoy seeing him squirm.

I enjoy the Mission Impossible franchise, but Nolan is well known for shooting in IMAX so it makes sense they would bump MI. And it’s not like MI is anymore relevant than a typical summer Marvel movie.

EDIT: Plus, Nolan is doing something groundbreaking for IMAX by shooting in a new B&W film stock. Whereas MI is just more of the same; Tom jumping around to prove he can.
This just doesn't seem like a movie you show in the Summer and would be more suited in the Fall around award season?? Seriously, a Giant Prehistoric Shark is going to dominate the box office in just 2 months to the point where Nolan's movie will get lost in the shuffle and it doesn't deserve that..

John McClane 06-13-23 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BKB (Post 2392318)
This just doesn't seem like a movie you show in the Summer and would be more suited in the Fall around award season?? Seriously, a Giant Prehistoric Shark is going to dominate the box office in just 2 months to the point where Nolan's movie will get lost in the shuffle and it doesn't deserve that..
I think the reasoning behind it is Nolan’s name puts butts in seats, and a lot of IMAX theaters are in destination spots (i.e. people typically take their one vacation in the summer). So while it’s true that a movie like this isn’t typical for summer the conditions in which most people would see it on IMAX only take place in the summer.

doubledenim 06-13-23 09:30 AM

Damon had a Cruise story on the Smartless show 🤩

I haven’t watched any trailers for this, but you can’t avoid the fireball/wall shot. The sound of it will probably rattle the fillings out of your head and I’m sold.

I’ve always said a good IMAX experience is like an amusement park ride. The John Wick Mustang on the airstrip scene probably still holds the crown imb. Tom Cruise couldn’t beat that with Maverick 😋

John W Constantine 06-13-23 02:44 PM

Cruise vs. Nolan

Experience it in IMAX

Rated R

BKB 06-14-23 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2392322)
I think the reasoning behind it is Nolan’s name puts butts in seats, and a lot of IMAX theaters are in destination spots (i.e. people typically take their one vacation in the summer). So while it’s true that a movie like this isn’t typical for summer the conditions in which most people would see it on IMAX only take place in the summer.
Yeah?? Well DUNKIRK didn't exactly do very well, Nolan's name attached or not.. I feel like Nolan could make a movie involving paint drying and the Obsessive Nolan fans would show up to watch it??

John McClane 06-14-23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by BKB (Post 2392483)
Yeah?? Well DUNKIRK didn't exactly do very well, Nolan's name attached or not.. I feel like Nolan could make a movie involving paint drying and the Obsessive Nolan fans would show up to watch it??
what kind of paint we talking? matte or semi-gloss?

doubledenim 06-17-23 05:12 AM

It’s 2023 people. It would be about plasti-dip.

John W Constantine 06-22-23 10:16 PM

What exactly would a Chris Nolan horror movie look and sound like?

doubledenim 06-23-23 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2394054)
Suboptimal if not seen in 70mm.

Thursday Next 06-24-23 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2394054)

Too loud with unintelligible dialogue and that Hans Zimmer brrrraaaaa noise on the soundtrack.

Yoda 06-24-23 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BKB (Post 2392483)
It made half a billion dollars worldwide. The only metric under which it didn't "do well" is "did it make a totally bonkers amount of money like Batman?"

And the mention of "Obsessive Nolan fans," similar to replies in other threads, suggests a weirdly personal component where box office is important only so it can be used to take fans of <whatever> down a peg, I guess? Seems petty and pointless to me.

Box office receipts are not a score we use to determine who's right to like or dislike a thing.

JohnReese 06-24-23 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2392407)
Cruise vs. Nolan

Experience it in IMAX

Rated R
I'm a fan of both Chris Nolan and Tom Cruise. But Tom does seem to have a king-sized ego. But he still is in the right to be angry. What's wrong is that he resorted to demanding screens from Margot Robbie's film Now Barbie that won't play in the theater I go to now. Christopher Nolan is a genius. He made Imax more money than tom cruise with his dark knight trilogy Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception. Tom Cruise should be more respectful because he's looking bad in more ways than one.

John W Constantine 07-11-23 05:28 PM

Anyone grab their IMAX tickets yet?

jal90 07-11-23 07:06 PM

I'm very interested on this, but for God's sake somebody please ban Nolan from participating personally in the promotional phase of his films again. These last weeks/months have been completely deranged with the whole bunch of "I don't use CGI!", "an actual atomic explosion?????? [clickbait]", the vacuous comments on the film length and weight and Chris having an extensive opinion on every single seat at the movie theater. What a guy.

Yoda 07-11-23 07:42 PM

I'd blame the journalists/websites before I'd blame Nolan. He's probably just giving standard promotional interviews and answering the questions he's asked, and then they're reframed to be as dramatic as possible.

doubledenim 07-11-23 11:10 PM

Anybody wondering how this got an “R” rating? Probably not why you would think…

Anybody with any
Peaky Blinders fanfic they’ve been waiting to see played out…:shifty:

John W Constantine 07-11-23 11:15 PM

Initial reactions seem positive

BKB 07-12-23 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by JohnReese (Post 2394480)
I'm a fan of both Chris Nolan and Tom Cruise. But Tom does seem to have a king-sized ego. But he still is in the right to be angry. What's wrong is that he resorted to demanding screens from Margot Robbie's film Now Barbie that won't play in the theater I go to now. Christopher Nolan is a genius. He made Imax more money than tom cruise with his dark knight trilogy Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception. Tom Cruise should be more respectful because he's looking bad in more ways than one.
I'm still maintaining that OPPENHEIMER doesn't need to be seen in IMAX unlike MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE that has a wide variety of stunts that would make sense seeing in IMAX.. I just can't believe they released this in the Summer instead of the Fall around award season??

doubledenim 07-12-23 01:28 AM

Tried to avoid watching any trailers for this, but the last few movies I've gone to see have all had one for it.

Made me realize I had 3 IMAX movies on my list for this year, they showed a trailer for Dune 2.

John W Constantine 07-12-23 02:31 PM

Anyone here familiar or have expertise with the differences in IMAX prints? PM me I have a quick question

TheDoctor 07-12-23 03:18 PM

Nolan.

No.

The guy can really make downright stupid movies at times.

John W Constantine 07-19-23 01:50 PM

Reviews, glorious reviews.

doubledenim 07-19-23 03:20 PM

All that sweet, sweet Cillian Murphy ____ I’m guessing .

doubledenim 07-19-23 03:25 PM

“It’s Nolan’s Tree of Death.”

John W Constantine 07-19-23 03:35 PM

The negative reviews are more entertaining.

Yoda 07-19-23 03:41 PM

I wonder if this will be one of those movies that I think is fantastic but also never want to see again.

Corax 07-19-23 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2399610)
I wonder if this will be one of those movies that I think is fantastic but also never want to see again.

I am become Meh, destroyer of hype...

Sedai 07-19-23 03:53 PM

The Oppenheimer-Joker process in action?

John W Constantine 07-19-23 03:55 PM

This has MoFo countdown written all over it.

John W Constantine 07-19-23 03:59 PM

On a side note I'm a reasonable driving distance from Indianapolis where the IMAX film print will be showing, hence my previous question about the advances of the format. I made a trip up there in 2014 for Interstellar and was kind of bummed out as it wasn't quite the night and day experience I was expecting (and I really enjoyed the movie). I was wondering if the digital aspects had caught up to the film experience as I am pretty surrounded by the digital theaters that offer IMAX.

doubledenim 07-19-23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2399618)
On a side note I'm a reasonable driving distance from Indianapolis where the IMAX film print will be showing, hence my previous question about the advances of the format. I made a trip up there in 2014 for Interstellar and was kind of bummed out as it wasn't quite the night and day experience I was expecting (and I really enjoyed the movie). I was wondering if the digital aspects had caught up to the film experience as I am pretty surrounded by the digital theaters that offer IMAX.
When you asked earlier, I didn’t have any specifics on the format. Most places, short of Alamo Draft House, aren’t going to tell you which of the 30 different formats (jok3) available that you are watching.

My big takeaway from IMAX is the sound. It is always killer. Hence my greatest IMAX experience, surprisingly, is
John Wick and the Mustang airstrip scene. Pure rock n’ roll!

I think the gap between IMAX and “standard” has closed significantly in the past decade, due to everyone having digital projectors meow.

It’s like 3D. You have an initial response/reaction and then you acclimate to it and it seems like any other movie.

I still enjoy it and with the loss of cheap matinees, the difference in price isn’t an issue.

John W Constantine 07-19-23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2399657)
When you asked earlier, I didn’t have any specifics on the format. Most places, short of Alamo Draft House, aren’t going to tell you which of the 30 different formats (jok3) available that you are watching.

My big takeaway from IMAX is the sound. It is always killer. Hence my greatest IMAX experience, surprisingly, is
John Wick and the Mustang airstrip scene. Pure rock n’ roll!

I think the gap between IMAX and “standard” has closed significantly in the past decade, due to everyone having digital projectors meow.

It’s like 3D. You have an initial response/reaction and then you acclimate to it and it seems like any other movie.

I still enjoy it and with the loss of cheap matinees, the difference in price isn’t an issue.
I see, I remember watching Tenet in a standard format and the sound was almost enough to make you deaf in certain spots. The images were almost similar.

beelzebubble 07-19-23 08:33 PM

Who is going to see this in the theater and how many are going to an IMAX theater?
I am definitely going to see this in an IMAX theater even though I don't always like Nolan's movies.

John W Constantine 07-19-23 09:11 PM

IMAX, the way poppa Nolan intended me to.

doubledenim 07-20-23 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2399725)
IMAX, the way poppa Nolan intended me to.
Now I get it. The Indianapolis IMAX theater is a 70mm theater. Very lucky. It’s one of 17 in the country.

The closest to NC is 4 hours away in the cinephile hotbed of Buford Georgia.

ynwtf 07-20-23 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2399775)
Now I get it. The Indianapolis IMAX theater is a 70mm theater. Very lucky. It’s one of 17 in the country.

The closest to NC is 4 hours away in the cinephile hotbed of Buford Georgia.

Byew!!!!!

BKB 07-20-23 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by John W Constantine (Post 2399618)
It's a movie about the creation of the atomic bomb, whether you see it in IMAX or not, it'll still be the same result in the end..