Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Russian Language Hall of Fame II (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63799)

SpelingError 04-22-21 05:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Welcome to the Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Any film that's from Russia and is predominantly in Russian is eligible for this HoF as long as it hasn't won a previous HoF. This means that you're not allowed to nominate the following films:

Tale of Tales (1979, Norstein)
The Ascent (1977, Sheptiko)
Solaris (1972, Tarkovsky)

All other Russian films are eligible for this HoF though.

In case you're new to Hall of Fames and don't know how they work, here are the rules:

Nominations:

The Cranes Are Flying (1957, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: SpelingError

Letter Never Sent (1959, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: ScarletLion

Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovsky)
Nominated by: Citizen Rules

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992, Aleksandr Petrov)
Nominated by: jiraffejustin

The Thief (1997, Pavel Chukhray)
Nominated by: Wyldesyde19

Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998, Aleksey German)
Nominated by: Ultraviolence
NO LONGER IN

The Return (2003, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: Takoma11

Leviathan (2014, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: nidral
NO LONGER IN

Deadline: July 10th

Reviews:

Citizen Rules (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

jiraffejustin (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

ScarletLion (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

SpelingError (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

Takoma11 (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

Wyldesyde19 (6/6): LIST SENT
The Cranes Are Flying
Letter Never Sent
The Return
Stalker
The Thief

Also, I might as well ping everyone from RT/Corrie to see if their interested. If you don't wish to join, it's totally cool.

@ApexPredator
@Captain Terror
@crumbsroom
@Jinnistan
@John Dumbear
@John W Constantine
@kgaard
@Rockatansky
@Slentert
@StuSmallz
@Takoma
@ThatDarnMKS
@Thief
@Torgo
@WHITBISSELL!

Also, @Citizen Rules and @Wyldesyde19 both expressed interest in this, so I'll ping both of them as well.

ScarletLion 04-22-21 05:08 PM

Re: Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Now then. I might be game on here.

Citizen Rules 04-22-21 05:28 PM

Nicely done Speling Error!

So glad to see the RT/Corries take a shining to the HoFs🙂 I hope more will join in, these HoFs are a highlight at MoFo.

Mr Minio 04-22-21 05:28 PM

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is not a Russian film and it has nothing to do with Russia.
  • The language spoken in the film is Ukrainian (with possible Rusyn language parts).
  • The film is about the Hutsuls ethnic group.
  • The film is directed by an Armenian director.

It is a Soviet film. But the Soviet Union encompassed some 15 republics.

SpelingError 04-22-21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 2197483)
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is not a Russian film and it has nothing to do with Russia.
  • The language spoken in the film is Ukrainian (with possible Rusyn language parts).
  • The film is about the Hutsuls ethnic group.
  • The film is directed by an Armenian director.

It is a Soviet film. But the Soviet Union encompassed some 15 republics.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think of that.

crumbsroom 04-22-21 05:35 PM

Can I submit Ikarie XB-1 as my favorite Russian film, even if it is from Czechoslovakia?

SpelingError 04-22-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2197486)
Can I submit Ikarie XB-1 as my favorite Russian film, even if it is from Czechoslovakia?
Sadly, that one wouldn't apply.

jiraffejustin 04-22-21 05:37 PM

I think I'll join this, I'll just ask the other participants to watch mine last as I have to make it over a particularly busy patch for myself. I'll do my best and I'll nominate a film that only goes 30 minutes.

crumbsroom 04-22-21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2197488)
Sadly, that one wouldn't apply.

Grrrrrrrr.

SpelingError 04-22-21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2197493)
Grrrrrrrr.
For real though, I highly recommend joining this. Takoma, Torgo, Thief, and I were in the 24th HoF, and it's a lot of fun.

Citizen Rules 04-22-21 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2197486)
I like to see that one myself. I love those old Soviet block space movies.

Thief 04-22-21 05:59 PM

Ughh, I will think real hard if I want to join. I had a hard time in terms of scheduling to finish the HOF24, I also neglected the Personal Rec HOF during that time, plus I have my own Movie Loot challenge to deal with... but I will think it through.

SpelingError 04-22-21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2197499)
Ughh, I will think real hard if I want to join. I had a hard time in terms of scheduling to finish the HOF24, I also neglected the Personal Rec HOF during that time, plus I have my own Movie Loot challenge to deal with... but I will think it through.
That's fine :up: These can be time consuming for sure.

Thief 04-22-21 06:05 PM

So films made under the Soviet Union don't apply, or apply as long as they are in Russian?

SpelingError 04-22-21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2197502)
So films made under the Soviet Union don't apply, or apply as long as they are in Russian?
As long as the dialogue in them is in Russian, they should be good.

Wyldesyde19 04-22-21 06:43 PM

I’m in. Going to think about what to nominate. I have two definite choices here to consider.

Torgo 04-22-21 09:31 PM

Thanks, but Russian language movies are a bit of a blind spot for me. Have fun, everyone, and good luck, Error!

Thief 04-22-21 09:38 PM

I think I will enjoy this one from the bench. 1) For the reasons I stated before and 2) because I was checking on Letterboxd how many Russian films I've seen and I don't think it even amounts to 10, or maybe even 5. And the ones I've seen are either fairly well known (which means that probably most people here have seen them or will get nabbed first) or are just crap. But I'll be looking and picking up recommendations.

rauldc14 04-22-21 09:45 PM

Cranes is such a damn good movie

SpelingError 04-22-21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2197562)
Thanks, but Russian language movies are a bit of a blind spot for me. Have fun, everyone, and good luck, Error!
Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2197566)
I think I will enjoy this one from the bench. 1) For the reasons I stated before and 2) because I was checking on Letterboxd how many Russian films I've seen and I don't think it even amounts to 10, or maybe even 5. And the ones I've seen are either fairly well known (which means that probably most people here have seen them or will get nabbed first) or are just crap. But I'll be looking and picking up recommendations.
That's fair! I hope to see you both in the 25th HoF and future HoF's though.

Citizen Rules 04-22-21 10:29 PM

I'll join! I just got figure out what nom I want.

Takoma11 04-22-21 11:09 PM

I'm in--sounds like a good time!

I'll just add my usual caveat that I won't watch films with unsimulated animal cruelty, so once all the films are nominated I'll vet them and then make my exit if there's something out of my scope.

CosmicRunaway 04-23-21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2197474)
Do not reveal your nomination in the thread!
This is usually a rule because we tend to keep the nominations secret until we're ready to start the HoF, but since you're adding the films to the first post already, it might not be necessary.

SpelingError 04-23-21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2197600)
This is usually a rule because we tend to keep the nominations secret until we're ready to start the HoF, but since you're adding the films to the first post already, it might not be necessary.
Sorry, I'm new to this, so I might not get all the particulars right. How do the starts of these threads usually work? I removed the pictures, btw.

nidral 04-23-21 06:36 AM

Count me in :up: I will message you my nomination.

ScarletLion 04-23-21 09:09 AM

There are 3 or 4 Russian films that are big gaps for me. Really hoping they make this list so I have no excuses for not having watched them.

And for those who don't know about this absolute gem of a film site, fill your boots:

https://russianfilmhub.com/

CosmicRunaway 04-23-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2197604)
Sorry, I'm new to this, so I might not get all the particulars right. How do the starts of these threads usually work? I removed the pictures, btw.
Since you set April 29th as the deadline, you'd typically keep everyone's nominations to yourself until then. Some hosts will just update the main post when it comes time to reveal the nominations, while some others will do a reveal in the thread as well. It's up to you to decide how you want to handle it.

Everyone has their own hosting style, so there's no one right or wrong way. You can keep it nice, clean, and concise, or be flashy and flamboyant. I'm probably the only one who adds unnecessary flair to my posts (see the Fantasy Hall of Fame for an example of that lol), but I find that fun. Similarly, when the HoF is over and it comes time to post the final results, you can provide the basic information about ranking and points, or go over-the-top.

SpelingError 04-23-21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2197654)
Since you set April 29th as the deadline, you'd typically keep everyone's nominations to yourself until then. Some hosts will just update the main post when it comes time to reveal the nominations, while some others will do a reveal in the thread as well. It's up to you to decide how you want to handle it.

Everyone has their own hosting style, so there's no one right or wrong way. You can keep it nice, clean, and concise, or be flashy and flamboyant. I'm probably the only one who adds unnecessary flair to my posts (see the Fantasy Hall of Fame for an example of that lol), but I find that fun. Similarly, when the HoF is over and it comes time to post the final results, you can provide the basic information about ranking and points, or go over-the-top.
Aye, I see. Thanks for the insight! That'll come in handy.

Citizen Rules 04-25-21 12:50 PM

I'm still looking over various Russian films, but I'll have my nom into you before the start of the HoF. This should be a fun HoF, can't wait to see what the movies will be!

SpelingError 04-27-21 12:26 PM

This is just a reminder that I'll reveal the nominations in two days. If you still wish to join, you'll have till May 6th to decide.

Wyldesyde19 04-27-21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2198928)
This is just a reminder that I'll reveal the nominations in two days. If you still wish to join, you'll have till May 6th to decide.
But I wanna know now!!!!

*Stomps off to sulk in the corner*

SpelingError 04-27-21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2199041)
But I wanna know now!!!!

*Stomps off to sulk in the corner*
I'll give you a clue. One of the movies was made sometime in the past 130 years.

rauldc14 04-27-21 08:48 PM

I doubt I'll join due to not wanting to put too much on my plate, but may check some out. I was in the first one and it was fun.

Wyldesyde19 04-28-21 09:18 PM

Just one more day......just one more day.....
*mutters to self as he rocks back and forth in the corner*

SpelingError 04-29-21 12:41 PM

Before I reveal the nominations, do I reveal who nominated each film, or do I leave that a secret for a bit and give everyone some time to guess who nominated what?

Citizen Rules 04-29-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2199664)
Before I reveal the nominations, do I reveal who nominated each film, or do I leave that a secret for a bit and give everyone some time to guess who nominated what?
It's been done both ways, it's up to you. Though it's hard to guess who nominated what, as I don't even know some of the new members....You could even have the noms remain secret until the HoF is over.

Chypmunk 04-29-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2199667)
....You could even have the noms remain secret until the HoF is over.
This gives rise to a fabulous idea - a 'Psychic HOF' where people watch what they think the nominations might be and the one who gets most right wins ;)

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:11 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are the nominations:

The Cranes Are Flying (1957, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: SpelingError

Letter Never Sent (1959, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: ScarletLion

Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovsky)
Nominated by: Citizen Rules

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992, Aleksandr Petrov)
Nominated by: jiraffejustin

The Thief (1997, Pavel Chukhray)
Nominated by: Wyldesyde19

The Return (2003, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: Takoma11

Leviathan (2014, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: nidral

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:13 PM

Also, the deadline for this HoF is July 3rd. That gives you all a full week to watch each film plus an additional two weeks to account for anyone who falls behind.

ScarletLion 04-29-21 01:15 PM

Oh wow. That is a brilliant set of nominations. Well done everyone. I've seen quite a few but will never get bored of rewatching Stalker. Everyone knows Tarkovsky's quality, but I think The Return might surprise a few people in this HoF. Can't wait to get stuck in.

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:18 PM

I've only seen Stalker, but a few of these have been on my watchlist for a while. Looking forward to this.

Great nominations everyone!

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:19 PM

Also, if anyone here has any trouble with finding any of the nominated films, let me know and I'll be happy to dm you with links to them.

ScarletLion 04-29-21 01:19 PM

The Thief is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkjhQln-Gfo

The Dream of a ridiculous man is here
https://russianfilmhub.com/movies/th...lous-man-1992/

The others should be watched in HD quality in my opinion.

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:22 PM

Also, here's Letter Never Sent (ignore the different title):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVU_Xu_AXNQ

ScarletLion 04-29-21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2199685)
Also, here's Letter Never Sent (ignore the different title):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVU_Xu_AXNQ
Oh my God, MosfilM have put it out in 4K????

That's delicious.

Thief 04-29-21 01:28 PM

I know I'm not participating, but just wanted to share free streaming options for each...

The Cranes Are Flying - HBO Max, Criterion Channel
Letter Never Sent - Criterion Channel
Stalker - Criterion Channel
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man - None
The Thief - Amazon (rent)
The Return - Mubi
Leviathan - Only for rent in a bunch of places

I've only seen Stalker from the bunch, but I'll keep an eye on the others.

SpelingError 04-29-21 01:40 PM

Also, just as a reminder, if you haven't joined yet but are still interested in doing so, you still have a week to enter. Just let me know via dms.

Citizen Rules 04-29-21 01:51 PM

Nice job doing the reveal of the noms. I like that you included the director. Great choices everyone!

Torgo 04-29-21 02:16 PM

In Soviet Russia, movies put YOU in the Hall of Fame!
Have fun, guys. Carry on.

Ultraviolence 04-29-21 02:17 PM

I nominated Stalker for Russia's first Hall of Fame, it's nice to see that it was nominated again. It's my favorite movie.

If I'm not mistaken, The Cranes Are Flying was also nominated. (it was, I just checked)

In the first one, Visitor of a Museum was nominated by TokeZa, never thanked you. So, thank you :D.
I love that film and Lopushanskiy's work since then.

SpelingError 04-29-21 02:30 PM

Btw, Ultraviolence just joined. I'll add their nom in and extend the deadline by a week once I get back to my computer.

SpelingError 04-29-21 02:50 PM

Here's Ultraviolence's nomination:

I updated the first two posts in this thread. The deadline is now July 10th.

nidral 04-29-21 02:57 PM

Good choices ! Barely wait to see what I haven't seen so far :up:

CosmicRunaway 04-29-21 03:15 PM

I saw that The Cranes Are Flying had been nominated again earlier in the thread, and wondered how many other films from the first Russian HoF would make an appearance. I figured Stalker had a good chance, but didn't really expect to see Leviathan.

I don't like having multiple HoFs on my plate, so I won't be participating, but I'll certainly follow the thread to see if any of the other films look interesting. I'm not overly familiar with Russian film, so it would be nice to add a few to my watch list.

nidral 04-29-21 03:31 PM

I found like 4 of them, (in full size)...
I'm having "issues" with these :
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man needs some identification on Youtube (other than phone), I need The Thief (1997), Khrustalyov, My Car(1998), and The Return (2003).
I watched ScarletLions link but that is also a payed website, those films appear as samples of 20 minutes only.
I'll also Google them and see if I can find them on some online website
If you guys know where can be these found (of course with English subs) feel free to message me..... till then I'll watch the other 4 :up:

SpelingError 04-29-21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by nidral (Post 2199739)
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man needs some identification on Youtube (other than phone), I need The Thief (1997), Khrustalyov, My Car(1998), and The Return (2003).
I watched ScarletLions link but that is also a payed website, those films appear as samples of 20 minutes only.
If you guys know where can be these found (of course with English subs) feel free to message me..... till then I'll watch the other 4 :up:
I sent you links to all four of those films.

nidral 04-29-21 03:40 PM

There's also this one.... https://sovietmoviesonline.com but it is also paid and there are only 20 minute samples for free....

nidral 04-29-21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2199747)
I sent you links to all four of those films.
Ok. Thx. I messaged you back !
:up:
Khrustalyov works.... I need those other 3 .... but maybe I'll find them myself till the deadline :) so no worries :up:

nidral 04-29-21 05:28 PM

Ok. So I guess this is "The Thief" which is on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3tj7DAhAk

I still need 1 - The Return (2003) .... please send link if you'll find it ...

nidral 04-29-21 05:30 PM

If I remember correctly I've seen Stalker & also The Return..... just wanna watch it again :up:

rauldc14 04-29-21 08:25 PM

Letter Never Sent is so damn good too. But it deserves a win in a general HOF.

rauldc14 04-29-21 08:25 PM

Mainly glad I didn't join because I hate Stalker but hope it wins here lol

Citizen Rules 04-29-21 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2199834)
Well, at least you can be pretty sure that I didn't nominate it for the 25th...or did I:eek:

SpelingError 04-29-21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2199834)
What? You hate Stalker?!?!

rauldc14 04-29-21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2199861)
What? You hate Stalker?!?!
I don't care for it.

Citizen Rules 04-29-21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2199864)
I don't care for it.
Have you seen any other Tarkovsky's films?

SpelingError 04-29-21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2199864)
I don't care for it.
Aw, that's my number 1 film. To be fair though, it's not for everyone.

rauldc14 04-29-21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2199868)
Have you seen any other Tarkovsky's films?
Yup. Really like most of the rest I've seen. Solaris or The Sacrifice probably the favorite.

SpelingError 04-29-21 09:43 PM

My rankings of Tarkovsky's films:

1) Stalker
2) Andrei Rublev
3) The Mirror
4) Solaris
5) Ivan's Childhood
6) The Killers

Save for The Killers (which is still good, but very student film-y and a bit racist), I think all of these are essential films.

Citizen Rules 04-29-21 09:50 PM

I almost went with The Mirror, which I haven't seen.

rauldc14 04-29-21 09:55 PM

Never heard of the Killers

I liked Mirror Citizen. Probably my number 3

SpelingError 04-29-21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2199878)
Never heard of the Killers

I liked Mirror Citizen. Probably my number 3
The Killers is a relatively obscure short film he made before he directed his first feature film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofHN3PTpVg

Takoma11 04-30-21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by nidral (Post 2199739)
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-return-2003

Kanopy is a free service you can get if your library participates. If you have an Amazon account or Vudu, you can rent it for $2. (I usually try to spend $0 on these challenges, but $2 isn't horrible).

jiraffejustin 04-30-21 12:04 AM

I don't need to watch The Cranes Are Flying again to know that I love it immensely. I probably don't need to see Stalker again, but I might anyway. This looks like a great bunch, I am hoping Cranes wins, but I wouldn't be upset with Stalker taking it.

nidral 04-30-21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2199898)
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-return-2003

Kanopy is a free service you can get if your library participates. If you have an Amazon account or Vudu, you can rent it for $2. (I usually try to spend $0 on these challenges, but $2 isn't horrible).
The thing is I remember seeing it now.... it's just that I'd like to see it again....
Thx for the link :up:

Ultraviolence 04-30-21 03:16 PM

I was about to nominate Mirror but decided to go with something the majority never heard about.

neiba 05-01-21 11:50 AM

Some really good noms in here! Stalker is a huge favourite! Cranes are flying is also pretty good, it was part of the last Russian HoF, and so is Leviathan, which I believe I nominated for that or another HoF.

I never watched "the dream of the ridiculous man" but I read it and it's amazing, I might check it out!

nidral 05-02-21 01:34 PM

With deep regret I have to say that I feel compelled to withdraw from this competition.
It's just that I am kinda busy with job these days and I also will be, so somehow I feel like watching something else after a stressful day.
Hope it's ok....
I will watch movies I feel like watching though (not hat I don't like these ones as well - I've seen most of them anyway) so I'll maybe watch some other movies, maybe different foreign movies or something more cheerful :)
Had a moment in my life when I started to learn Russian intensively for about 4 years... also speak it on a conversation level now, not an academic one though .... so while I got in touch with some Russian language speakers they kinda recommended me many Russian movies....
I've seen plenty of them, (watch Bumer 1/2 maybe there's a 3 also) it's how they call the BMW in some parts over there ....
So I kinda know how are people feeling about their own "rodina" (homeland) and I've seen a bunch of Russian films about the difficult life from there, maybe some were funny or had different subjects, but I hope you will all forgive me since I feel like watching something else.
пожалуйста, не сердитесь на меня (pozhaluysta, ne serdites' na menya), Желаю хорошего дня товарищи (I wish you a great day comrads ) :D
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...9788?s=612x612

SpelingError 05-02-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by nidral (Post 2200583)
With deep regret I have to say that I feel compelled to withdraw from this competition.
It's just that I am kinda busy with job these days and I also will be, so somehow I feel like watching something else after a stressful day.
Hope it's ok....
I will watch movies I feel like watching though (not hat I don't like these ones as well - I've seen most of them anyway) so I'll maybe watch some other movies, maybe different foreign movies or something more cheerful :)
Had a moment in my life when I started to learn Russian intensively for about 4 years... also speak it on a conversation level now, not an academic one though .... so while I got in touch with some Russian language speakers they kinda recommended me many Russian movies....
I've seen plenty of them, (watch Bumer 1/2 maybe there's a 3 also) it's how they call the BMW in some parts over there ....
So I kinda know how are people feeling about their own "rodina" (homeland) and I've seen a bunch of Russian films about the difficult life from there, maybe some were funny or had different subjects, but I hope you will all forgive me since I feel like watching something else.
пожалуйста, не сердитесь на меня (pozhaluysta, ne serdites' na menya), Желаю хорошего дня товарищи (I wish you a great day comrads ) :D
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...9788?s=612x612
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, but it's totally cool. Your nomination was Leviathan, as I recall, so that one is removed from this HoF then.

nidral 05-02-21 03:40 PM

Please don't be offended.... I'm kinda stressed with work and just feel like casual talking or maybe write a few things about a movie or two.:up: TY

Citizen Rules 05-02-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by nidral (Post 2200609)
Please don't be offended.... I'm kinda stressed with work and just feel like casual talking or maybe write a few things about a movie or two.:up: TY
It's cool:) you did tell us at the very start, so it's not a big deal. I hope you'll consider joining a future HoF, they are all quite different in their themes and the movies that are choose. What kind of movies (genres/type/etc) interest you the most?

nidral 05-02-21 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2200616)
It's cool:) you did tell us at the very start, so it's not a big deal. I hope you'll consider joining a future HoF, they are all quite different in their themes and the movies that are choose. What kind of movies (genres/type/etc) interest you the most?
I watch various films and it's not that I'm not interested in the Russian cinema. I've seen Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker also watched a few movies made by Nikita Mihalkov - which is a great actor and a great director in my opinion but he is not seen with good eyes in Russia since he is one of Putin's supporters. He made some sort of a remake after 12 angry men. Also seen other films with him and directed by Mihalkov.
I've seen The ISland (Ostrov) with Pyotr Mamonov.... also played Ivan the Terrible in one movie.... and many many new movies as well.

It's just that I'm going through some sort of a phase in which after I come home from work I prefer chatting and maybe write a few lines about a movie I've seen, every once in a while - not to feel pressured by any deadlines. (Not that you guys put any pressure on me- because there was plenty of time to watch all these movies)...
I did participate though in 25 foreign movie list that other user of this website created, so I've sent my nominations over there.
Maybe in the future if there will be more free time.... I'll join....
So I hope all will understand :up:

Citizen Rules 05-02-21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by nidral (Post 2200622)
I watch various films and it's not that I'm not interested in the Russian cinema. I've seen Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker also watched a few movies made by Nikita Mihalkov - which is a great actor and a great director in my opinion but he is not seen with good eyes in Russia since he is one of Putin's supporters. He made some sort of a remake after 12 angry men. Also seen other films with him and directed by Mihalkov.
I've seen The ISland (Ostrov) with Pyotr Mamonov.... also played Ivan the Terrible in one movie.... and many many new movies as well.

It's just that I'm going through some sort of a phase in which after I come home from work I prefer chatting and maybe write a few lines about a movie I've seen, every once in a while - not to feel pressured by any deadlines. (Not that you guys put any pressure on me- because there was plenty of time to watch all these movies)...
I did participate though in 25 foreign movie list that other user of this website created, so I've sent my nominations over there.
Maybe in the future if there will be more free time.... I'll join....
So I hope all will understand :up:
I think you might have misunderstood my intention of my question. I wasn't questioning why you couldn't finish the HoF...I was just trying to make convo and also get some ideas for future HoFs that you (and others) might be interested in. That's all:)

nidral 05-02-21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2200626)
I think you might have misunderstood my intention of my question. I wasn't questioning why you couldn't finish the HoF...I was just trying to make convo and also get some ideas for future HoFs that you (and others) might be interested in. That's all:)
I'll think of a few and post it.
But as far as I can see you guys (the older ones in here) already figured that out and created so many HoF, about which I couldn't even think of :)
It's great to see so many people around here with great ideas and imagination.
I'm sure I could fit in my seen movies in those and I will do it soon or later ;)

SpelingError 05-02-21 09:59 PM

The Cranes Are Flying (1957) -

WARNING: spoilers below
While I'm not the biggest fan of classic romance films, I was definitely eager to watch this film for this thread as I've been meaning to get to it for a while. While I'm not sure I consider it to be a great film, I liked a lot about it and another viewing may get me to like it even more.

After finishing it, I was rather surprised as to how it was a fairly low-key romance. After Boris left for WWII, most of the film followed Veronika's attempts of coping with his absence and the fear of him being killed, while she was stuck in a loveless relationship with Mark. Due to this, the film maintained a steady atmosphere of despair, yet never felt like it was wallowing in this. A major thing which sets this film above most other classical romances I've seen is that it refuses to tie itself up into a neat bow in terms of its emotional register. Many tragedies befall Veronika and, though she isn't able to recover from all of them, the ending shows that, even if she can't be made whole again, she can still move on. I found the ending to be more layered and impactful than what I normally see in romance films.

The camerawork and editing were also really impressive. The how-did-they-shoot-that scene of Boris running up a set of stairs as the camera followed him was pretty great, a dreamlike sequence of Boris imagining a wedding between he and Veronika was nothing short of technically impressive, and the air raid shown from the perspective of Veronika's apartment ranks among the most claustrophobic things I've seen in film in a while. I also appreciated how some of the lighting used in the happier and playful moments of the film had a strong, dreamlike glare to it (as could be seen with the sunlight in the opening, for example). These scenes caused the film to be stylistically impressive and they make me more excited to watch Kalatozov's Letter Never Sent for this thread.

With all that being said, while there's a lot to love about this film, I'll need to watch it again to decide if I think it's great or just really good since I'm still mulling over a major directorial choice in it. Around the middle of the film, Boris is killed in the war while on a reconnaissance mission. While his death is certainly unexpected and among the most visually and technically impressive scenes in the film, I did wonder whether his death would've had a stronger impact had it been saved for later. As it stood, I felt that his death sacrificed some of the narrative tension I enjoyed over whether he'd survive. To be fair though, this was in service of setting up an even bleaker tone in the second half with Mark being more at the forefront. Since I'm not quite sure what to make of that scene and the effect it has on the film as of now though, I'll have to rewatch the film to decide whether I liked this choice or not.

Regardless of what direction the film goes in in the second half though, I quite enjoyed this film and I found that it mostly lived up to its reputation as a great film. Another viewing may get me to like it even more.

Next up: The Dream of a Ridiculous Man

SpelingError 05-03-21 09:53 PM

This is just a reminder that you have two more days to join this HoF if you're still interested.

SpelingError 05-05-21 03:57 AM

This is the last reminder that you have one more day to join this HoF.

Wyldesyde19 05-06-21 01:14 PM

Stalker

Tarkovsky has always been a blind spot for me. I first heard of him back in 2003, I think? When the remake of Solaris had come out. I had read his original version was the one worth seeking out, as well as Stalker. For some reason though, I never did. Maybe because his films weren’t as easy to find in the Hollywood video rental I frequented at the time.*

Stalker begins with a unnamed man who takes anyone willing to pay into the Zone, an area steeped in mystery and legend. A meteor hit it years ago, and when trips were sent to recover it, they never returned. The area was then blocked off and no one is allowed to enter under threat of imprisonment or death. But inside the Zone, lies a room that grants all who enter their desires.**
So of course, our Stalker is hired to lead two strangers the writer and the professor, to this mysterious room.**

The film is really an essay of sorts, on the human psyche. It is deeply psychological and even on my first viewing, I know there was a lot I missed or it went over my head. As such, it demands repeated viewings. We watch as these three struggle to reach the room, and debate with each other while waxing philosophical. Stalker is deeply philosophical.**

It is shot beautifully. Alternating between color and sepia tone, the switch is sudden and almost seamlessly. And there are some scenes of foreboding as they enter the zone. Scenes of tanks from where the lost troops made their last stand.*

But what is the Zone exactly? Is it sentient? Seems so. It reacts to you and changes every minute, setting up traps according to our Stalker. And what of the mysterious dog that appears and follows them? Is there some significance to it? And the ending? Does that suggest the Stalker once entered the room?**

Indeed, it is more of an experience, and one has to experience it first before you can find the answers. The answers may or not come in repeated viewings. In that way, stalker is much like The Zone itself. Or even the Room that is so desired by them.

SpelingError 05-11-21 12:00 AM

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992) -

This was an artsy and thought-provoking short film which really resonated with me. I find the subject of "life after death" really interesting, especially questions of whether the afterlife will turn out to be a utopia or hellish. Some people who are touched by suicide have a mindset of "If I kill myself, I'll be better off", but of course, there's no way of knowing what happens after you die until your time comes. Due to this ambiguity, another mindset one could have is that you should make the most of your time on Earth since there's no way of knowing what will happen after death. I've been touched by depression in the past and, for this reason, I found the plight of the man in this short film highly relatable. Ultimately, this short film culminated with exactly what I thought it would culminate with, but predictable outcome or not, I still enjoyed the protagonist's arc. The ideas in this short were what stuck out and lingered with me the most. I also loved the animation style. From what I read, the animation was created using practical effects by drying oil paint on sheets of glass, which makes me all the more impressed. Beyond that though, I liked all the atmospheric and moody colors in this short, especially in the surreal dream sequences in the latter half or so. In addition, I especially loved the usages of shadows in certain shots where the background was either indistinguishable or completely black such as the lamppost shot in the beginning and ending since these shots made the characters look isolated from the outside world as if there was nothing around them. Overall, while I don't think this is a great short, I do think it's a really good one and I'm glad I watched it.

Next up: Khrustalyov, My Car!

Citizen Rules 05-11-21 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A powerful film of growing tensions, as an absent father returns home and takes his two estranged sons on a hiking trip that they soon won't forget. This is a well written, well shot, psychological study of a broken family. It felt very Russian to me in it's forlorn heaviness...the air of impending doom hung over the two boys, like an early morning fog over the Volga river.

The scenes & camera shots were never rushed and that gives us time to reflect on the moments at hand, which is important for the film's headiness to sink into one's mind. I liked that this was a linear story which allowed the film to focus intensely on the moment. The use of the personal journal as a narrative tool added to the growing tension.

The two child actors were superb in this. They easily conveyed emotions with just a facial expressions. It was like I knew what they were thinking without them even speaking it.

Thief 05-11-21 10:08 PM

Even though I'm on the bench, I'm enjoying the reviews so far.

SpelingError 05-11-21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2203172)
Even though I'm on the bench, I'm enjoying the reviews so far.
Out of curiosity, how many of the nominations have you seen (other than Stalker, which I believe you've already watched)?

Thief 05-12-21 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2203183)
Out of curiosity, how many of the nominations have you seen (other than Stalker, which I believe you've already watched)?
That's the only one I've seen.

Actually, these are the only Russian/Soviet films I've seen...

Battleship Potemkin (1925)
Viy (1967)
Stalker (1979)
Come and See (1985)
Russian Ark (2002)
Night Watch (2004)
Day Watch (2006)
Mongol (2007, multinational co-production)

That's one of the reasons why I decided to sit this one out. I assumed that either most people here would've seen Potemkin, Come and See, and Stalker, or that someone else would nab them first, and I didn't feel that passionate about the others to nominate them. Night Watch and Day Watch in particular are pretty cringey/bad.

SpelingError 05-12-21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2203190)
That's the only one I've seen.

Actually, these are the only Russian/Soviet films I've seen...

Battleship Potemkin (1925)
Viy (1967)
Stalker (1979)
Come and See (1985)
Russian Ark (2002)
Night Watch (2004)
Day Watch (2006)
Mongol (2007, multinational co-production)

That's one of the reasons why I decided to sit this one out. I assumed that either most people here would've seen Potemkin, Come and See, and Stalker, or that someone else would nab them first, and I didn't feel that passionate about the others to nominate them. Night Watch and Day Watch in particular are pretty cringey/bad.
Aye, gotcha. Hopefully, you'll get some good recs from this thread though.

Wyldesyde19 05-12-21 10:43 PM

Aw man, I actually have been looking forward to watching Nightwatch and Daywatch for....well....must be 15 years now. (I know, I’m slow)

The director of those films finally has a US release for his latest film, Profile, starting this weekend so I’m planning on seeing it.

ScarletLion 05-13-21 06:16 AM

'The Cranes are Flying'

https://i.imgur.com/QfI7JMk.gif

I'm a fan of every Kalatozov film that I've seen, and Cranes is right up there with the best of them. The camerawork especially is ground breaking (high angles, low angles, tracking shots, pans, zooms, it's mesmerizing). The acting is perfect. It's one of the greatest war films I've seen, and shows little of the actual battles. Just the story from the perspective of Russia. Yes there's a love story amongst it all but at it's heart it's an anti war film that will live long in the memory.

Beautiful film about loss / coming of age / connections with parents. It's a very mysterious film, as we never really get to know much about the father's intentions. But as with all Zvaginstyev films, the journey is amazing and the cinematography is stunning. I think it's got something to say about how, as a child, you regard your father or your mother, how you compare them, how much (if at all) you strive to be like them. It's like Tarkovsky directing 'The 400 Blows' in an alternate reality.

Excellent film. Incidentally, the film is tinged with ironic tragedy, as the actor who plays the older brother was killed in a swimming pool accident a couple of months after the film was shot. :(

SpelingError 05-13-21 12:53 PM

We're currently two weeks into this HoF and, so far, @jiraffejustin, @Takoma11, and @Utraviolence haven't submitted a review yet. Of course, there's no rush or anything. Just letting you guys know.

ScarletLion 05-13-21 01:13 PM

By the way, if any of the gifs above are seen as spoilers, let me know and I'll hide them. Don't want to ruin anyone's viewing.