Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Most Controversial Film Opinions? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46066)

matt72582 06-30-16 05:56 PM

Your Most Controversial Film Opinions?

:)

TONGO 06-30-16 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1539685)
:)
You cant be opening a thread with that title and the first post be a smiley! Hell naw, you gotta put it out there, you have to set the tone. Whats your most controversial film opinion Matt? :)

Derek Vinyard 06-30-16 05:59 PM

Re: Your Most Controversial Film Opinions?

https://monsterzeronj.files.wordpres...post.jpg?w=620

I'm a fan of extreme cinema stuff and gory sh*t but this one is the movie that disgust me the most by far. If you want controversial.

Sexy Celebrity 06-30-16 06:01 PM

Instead of all the money being wasted making crap films, it could be used towards feeding the poor, housing the homeless, making a better world, etc. Filmmakers are greedy narcissists who should be ashamed of themselves.

Gideon58 06-30-16 06:03 PM

I predicted and am one of the few people on the planet who thought Crash deserved the Oscar for Best Picture of 2005.

Sexy Celebrity 06-30-16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1539696)
I predicted and am one of the few people on the planet who thought Crash deserved the Oscar for Best Picture of 2005.
As much as you loved Brokeback Mountain? You should be ashamed of yourself.

TONGO 06-30-16 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1539696)
Why? Oh wait a minute, wrong Crash. I was thinking of the one where people got turned on by car crashes.

Sexy Celebrity 06-30-16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1539703)
I was thinking of the one where people got turned on by car crashes.
There should be a movie like that, but with terrorist attacks and shootings as the fetish.

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 06:15 PM

Your Most Controversial Film Opinions?

Practically all of my film opinions are controversial:eek:

Mr Minio 06-30-16 06:17 PM

The Room is a masterpiece.

MonnoM 06-30-16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1539692)
Instead of all the money being wasted making crap films, it could be used towards feeding the poor, housing the homeless, making a better world, etc. Filmmakers are greedy narcissists who should be ashamed of themselves.
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Sexy Celebrity 06-30-16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1539715)
Now you're just being ridiculous.
Oooh. Guess I did say something controversial.

Well, of course.

Camo 06-30-16 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1539710)
The Room is a masterpiece.
Think it would be more controversial to say it wasn't a masterpiece nowadays.

Topsy 06-30-16 06:50 PM

i dont like the notebook,it was rushed and at time badly acted and whoever did the main girls make up should be fired.
wasnt really all that impressed with the revenant
i love titanic
i hate scream 4 and wish it would have never been made
i hate once upon a time in america-the jennifer connelly thing is so odd.
Pulp fiction is meh

MonnoM 06-30-16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1539719)
Oooh. Guess I did say something controversial.

Well, of course.
That's defcon 1 level of controversy. Apples vs Oranges. I was downright verklempt.

Sexy Celebrity 06-30-16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1539743)
That's defcon 1 level of controversy. Apples vs Oranges. I was downright verklempt.
Well, everytime I hear about the money being spent on movies, I think.... MY GOD.

Sometimes it's not just the halfway decent films, though. I remember I was watching this UNBELIEVABLE PIECE OF CRAP a few years ago... and I saw the budget was $1 million dollars to make it. Now that was such a spectacular, disgusting waste. Some "works of art" that cost a lot of money to make.... shouldn't be made. It's shameful.

Topsy 06-30-16 07:15 PM

also i like Gigli

MonnoM 06-30-16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539751)
also i like Gigli
Well, that's that. You win this thread. I guarantee no one will top that.

Camo 06-30-16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539751)
also i like Gigli
Think it's only you and fans of bad movies who have actually watched it :p

Topsy 06-30-16 07:22 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/K3hdSUNUq3bJC/giphy.gif

Topsy 06-30-16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1539756)
Think it's only you and fans of bad movies who have actually watched it :p
hah.
i think it got a lot of flack cos of the two main stars. i didnt like ben affleck in it,but i think jennifer was good,and the actor who played the mentally challenged or what-to-call-it was amazing. there was some horrid dialogue though.

rambond 06-30-16 07:27 PM

I would say luis bunuel s" Belle de jour" as a controversial film of a wife who works as a prostitute in the afternoons

matt72582 06-30-16 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539757)
Sounds like she's saying "Thank you" -- controversial?

Topsy 06-30-16 07:34 PM

^^ no it was just a joke in responds to me winning this thread with my bad taste :lol:

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 09:54 PM

Okay, here we go...

I really don't like Citizen Kane. Boring, well made for it's time but boring, uninteresting as hell and has no compelling characters.
Raiders of the Lost Ark. ^ except it has some great action scenes.
Mad Max 2. Meh, not my kind of film (I much prefer Fury Road and Mad Max 1).
Star Wars Trilogy. Well made but very predictable and has one-note characters.
Alien 3. The Theatrical cut is good but the Assembly cut is great, even better than Aliens.
Transformers Franchise. Badly made but fun as hell.
Grown Ups 1 & 2. Horrible movies but I enjoy them, plus they have a bit of nostalgia for me.
Jaws. I like it but nowhere near as much as other people. It's fine, a good time.
Jurassic Park. ^
Interstellar. It's one of my favorite films of all time, it gets way too much hate.
World War Z. Severely underrated.

Note. Most of these films I recognize are badly/greatly made but since my taste is not very "mainstream" and kind of "unique" (I don't know how else to describe it), I sometimes don't agree with the majority.

NexusSix 06-30-16 09:55 PM

Showgirls being a great movie might qualify as a " controversial " opinion. Not too sure what the consensus is on this specific board, but there seems to be a strong stigma attached to the film for various reasons.

Camo 06-30-16 10:01 PM

I wouldn't call it a great movie but i like it a lot.

Derek Vinyard 06-30-16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539725)
i dont like the notebook,it was rushed and at time badly acted and whoever did the main girls make up should be fired.
wasnt really all that impressed with the revenant
i love titanic
i hate scream 4 and wish it would have never been made
Pulp fiction is meh
Let's be agree to completely disagree :p

must be the person on this forum with the most opposite movie taste as me hahaha

colejwalker 06-30-16 10:04 PM

I don't think Spielberg belongs in the top 10 directors of all time (maybe he's 10 idk).

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 10:04 PM

I like it too, in fact I don't know what the complaints are about Showgirls. If I remember correctly Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs up.

Camo 06-30-16 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by colejwalker (Post 1539828)
I don't think Spielberg belongs in the top 10 directors of all time (maybe he's 10 idk).
Don't think that is controversial. Not on this site anyway.

Derek Vinyard 06-30-16 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by colejwalker (Post 1539828)
you're right he's in the Top 5 :D

cricket 06-30-16 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539725)
I'm with you

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:07 PM

I love Alien vs. Predator, Tomb Raider, and Ghost Rider 2, even though I like them as guilty pleasures, I've still gotten heat for it.

And lots of people tend to frank out when I tell them that I don't like Boogie Nights.

Derek Vinyard 06-30-16 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jackojacko2000 (Post 1539819)
Okay, here we go...

I really don't like Citizen Kane. Boring, well made for it's time but boring, uninteresting as hell and has no compelling characters.
Interstellar. It's one of my favorite films of all time, it gets way too much hate.
World War Z. Severely underrated.
http://m.memegen.com/9l4ry3.jpg

100% right

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539833)
I love Alien vs. Predator, Tomb Raider, and Ghost Rider 2, even though I like them as guilty pleasures, I've still gotten heat for it.

And lots of people tend to frank out when I tell them that I don't like Boogie Nights.
I didn't like Boogie Nights either, so maybe you're not so controversial;)

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1539834)
Woohoo! Someone agrees with me! :)

Topsy 06-30-16 10:12 PM

i also like showgirls,i thought it was a bit brave in how brutally honest it was and it didnt really sugercoat the maincharacter into being this overly goodie twoshoes that most movies go for.
but ive said this before,the movie has got one of the worst sex scenes ever made.

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1539827)
Let's be agree to completely disagree :p

must be the person on this forum with the most opposite movie taste as me hahaha

haha,i was actually thinking of you when i wrote the notebook thing,i remember you saying it made you cry.

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:14 PM

I agree with you on Interstellar, I've never seen WWZ in its entirety, and Citizen Kane, WHAT, MAY YOU DIE A THOUSAND TIMES A THOUSAND DEATHS, EACH ONE MORE HORRIBLE THAN THE LAST, *cough* I'm sorry, I meant I respect your opinion.

Derek Vinyard 06-30-16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1539838)
haha,i was actually thinking of you when i wrote the notebook thing,i remember you saying it made you cry.
I think it's the only romantic movie I've ever cry on... it's cliché but I don't know why I find it pretty good

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 10:19 PM

Controversial? how about this:cool: I hated Whiplash, Mad Maxx Fury Road so much that I shut them off after 15 minutes.

CiCi 06-30-16 10:22 PM

Mean Girls is one of, if not the, funniest comedy of the millennium so far. (I also really like White Chicks :lol: But not as much)

The last of the Star Wars prequels was the most boring in that trilogy. I found one and two a lot more fun in general!

Prisoner of Azkaban is the weakest and most boring Harry Potter film.

Topsy 06-30-16 10:24 PM

i can understand why people dont like whiplash,none of the characters are likeable and its basicly one dude playing the drums whilst another man is standing over him screaming for the entire movie.
i personally like it though,mostly because i thought the acting was great. but its prob not a movie id watch again

mad max i shut of aswell-i love charlize theron and tom hardy but its just not my kind of movie.

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539843)
Controversial? how about this:cool: I hated Whiplash, Mad Maxx Fury Road so much that I shut them off after 15 minutes.
How?

seanc 06-30-16 10:29 PM

The first fifteen minutes of Whiplash is a drum solo and him going to the movies with his dad. Hardly objectionable material.

Topsy 06-30-16 10:29 PM

also i dont like Gone girl. I WOULD have liked it had it ended on the bridge,but the second half of the movie was like a bad daytime soap-well not all of it could have been shown daytime :lol:

also the lack of male nudity in films is evident in the fact that everyone went out their mind about ben affleck. it was half a second from side,okay? you couldnt really even see all that much :lol:

Topsy 06-30-16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1539849)
I thought it was pretty accurate. Pools, or any body of water, especially waterfalls are quite the aphrodisiac for an epileptic.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
hadnt thought of it like that,youre completely right ;)

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1539848)
The first fifteen minutes of Whiplash is a drum solo and him going to the movies with his dad. Hardly objectionable material.
Okay, I enjoyed Whiplash pretty much solely for JK Simmons, it's not the strongest film in recent years, but I thought it was still alright.

cricket 06-30-16 10:37 PM

Besides Once Upon a Time in America, I don't like Dead Man, Avatar, 2001, The Aviator, Shutter Island, the Toy Story series, Lord of the Rings, Fury Road, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Bronson, Brick, The Searchers, Saving Private Ryan, Spirited Away, Amadeus, Amelie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Raising Arizona, and many more.

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539839)
I agree with you on Interstellar, I've never seen WWZ in its entirety, and Citizen Kane, WHAT, MAY YOU DIE A THOUSAND TIMES A THOUSAND DEATHS, EACH ONE MORE HORRIBLE THAN THE LAST, *cough* I'm sorry, I meant I respect your opinion.
Ha, I knew I would get hated on for my opinion on Citizen Kane :P . It sure is controversial.

CiCi 06-30-16 10:41 PM

I was going to rep you for not liking the toy story series, cricket, I still consider it such an embarrassment that Toy Story 3 got a screenplay nomination at the Oscars... But then you said you don't like Spirited Away so I had to stop myself :p

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539843)
I agree that Mad Max Fury Road is a BIT overrated but I still very much enjoy it. But your opinion on Whiplash... That's a hard hitting one for me. I LOVE that movie. A perfect 10/10. Wow, just wow. But I respect your opinion. :)

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539847)
How?
Whiplash lost me when the music teacher picked up an hurled a heavy metal chair at the student. I know the director wanted to show the teachers intensity, but that scene broke the illusion of believability. No way could I believe in today's political correct and sue happy society would a teacher with such near-psychotic behavior be allowed to continue to work. He would have long ago been sued, or let go from his job. I couldn't dispensed my disbelief. Plus I didn't want to spend two hours listing to someone who was yelling and bulling. That's the problem with many new Hollywood films, they have to be bigger, louder, ballsier than the last picture.

Well, you asked;)

Cobpyth 06-30-16 10:46 PM

Perhaps a controversial opinion:
Some people dislike/are indifferent to certain "great films" because they're not intelligent, insightful, mindful or sophisticated enough to understand what makes the film in question brilliant.

I know this is a legitimate opinion, because I often notice that I myself lacked some of the abovementioned qualities to appreciate certain "great films" in the past. I probably still do. A person's capability to truly be a substantive judge of art evolves every day.

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539858)
Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539847)
How?
Whiplash lost me when the music teacher picked up an hurled a heavy metal chair at the student. I know the director wanted to show the teachers intensity, but that scene broke the illusion of believability. No way could I believe in today's political correct and sue happy society would a teacher with such near-psychotic behavior be allowed to continued to work. He would have long ago been sued, or let go from his job (I don't remember if he was the sole owner of the music institute or not). I couldn't dispensed my disbelief. Plus I didn't want to spend two hours listing to someone who was yelling and bulling.

Well, you asked;)
Okay, but I love Fury Road as much as I love all the other Mad Max movies, so what was wrong with that? (And please don't say there was no story, because it's visual storytelling)

Cobpyth 06-30-16 10:46 PM

Also, Spring Breakers is one of the most interesting films of the past few years.

seanc 06-30-16 10:48 PM

Obviously don't pay too much attention to NCAA sports. I 'm sure everything is heightened, but what movie isn't.

It truly doesn't bother me CR, I don't deny anyone their personal taste. I just find it odd that these well talked about movies get turned off after fifteen minutes. You had to have some idea of what they were going in. There are plenty of movies I don't see because they don't sound like my taste, but I don't see them. Fifteen minutes is barely any time at all.

seanc 06-30-16 10:48 PM

That was for CR, forgot to quote.

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539860)
Okay, but I love Fury Road as much as I love all the other Mad Max movies, so what was wrong with that? (And please don't say there was no story, because it's visual storytelling)
I'd say Fury Road absolutely delivers 110% of what it's trying to do...But it ain't what I wanted to see. Is it a bad film? nope! I just hate that ADD, quick cut, style of film making...it gave me a headache.

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539861)
Also, Spring Breakers is one of the most interesting films in the past few years.
I'm more interested in the fact that you could watch that movie without trying to rip the heads off of every single character.

(I'm not saying anyone is stupid for liking or disliking these movies, I'm just wondering how)

NextScorsese 06-30-16 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539864)
Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539860)
I'd say Fury Road absolutely delivers 110% of what it's trying to do...But it ain't what I wanted to see. Is it a bad film? no! I just hate that ADD, quick cut, style of film making...it gave me a headache.
Oh. I guess that could turn some people off, I just love the adrenaline, and the editing is still better than any Bay movie.

seanc 06-30-16 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539859)
Some people dislike/are indifferent to certain "great films" because they're not intelligent, insightful, mindful or sophisticated enough to understand what makes the film in question brilliant.

I know this is a legitimate opinion, because I often notice that I myself lacked some of the abovementioned qualities to appreciate certain "great films" in the past. I probably still do. A person's capability to truly be a substantive judge of art evolves every day.
I don't completely disagree but you still have to allow room for subjectivity in art as well. Your opinion as stated is too rigid in the other direction. I don't think art is meant to be judged on an academic level. It can be, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Cobpyth 06-30-16 10:54 PM

Adding another opinion to my previous one that may seem paradoxal, but actually isn't:

A "great film" can still be disliked by a person who completely comprehends it. In that case genuine preference surfaces (and forms your opinion).

Cobpyth 06-30-16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1539871)
I don't completely disagree but you still have to allow room for subjectivity in art as well. Your opinion as stated is too rigid in the other direction. I don't think art is meant to be judged on an academic level. It can be, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
I'm leaving room for subjectivity. I'm simply saying that some opinions are caused by a lack of the qualities I mentioned earlier.

Someone can still dislike a film like Citizen Kane while completely understanding it, for instance.

I think every film can be disliked by an intelligent person who fully understands said film, but it's also often the case that people aren't intelligent/insightful/mindful/etc. enough to understand it and then that can become the main reason for their dislike.

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1539862)
Obviously don't pay too much attention to NCAA sports. I 'm sure everything is heightened, but what movie isn't.
Sean, no I don't follow sports...but I think I seen once where a coach threw a chair at a player. I thought he should be suspended for life. (that probably sounds like something GBG would say:)).

It truly doesn't bother me CR, I don't deny anyone their personal taste. I just find it odd that these well talked about movies get turned off after fifteen minutes. You had to have some idea of what they were going in. There are plenty of movies I don't see because they don't sound like my taste, but I don't see them. Fifteen minutes is barely any time at all.
Fair questions: I get most of my movies from the library so it's not like I have to pay for them....and I can check out unlimited number of movies. It's not uncommon for me to look through a section, grab whatever sounds interesting and give it a go. If I don't like it, it's no problem I have more movies to watch.

I think it also has to do with me getting older. There's only so much time to do the things we like to do, and I try to take a good guesstimate at what movies aren't going to suit me and shut them off so I can watch another one instead.

I find when I do watch a movie that I wanted to shut off, the vast majority of time the movie never gets better for me.

TONGO 06-30-16 11:06 PM

This is pretty much the same as the Make Your Confession to your MoFos thread.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ght=confession

seanc 06-30-16 11:09 PM

Just to keep this from getting too serious I will add that I don't understand the hell out of 2001.

Guaporense 06-30-16 11:12 PM

I don't care for Winter Soldier and Lion King.

Cobpyth 06-30-16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539865)
I'm more interested in the fact that you could watch that movie without trying to rip the heads off of every single character.
There's a lot of humanity in Spring Breakers' characters but you need to be willing to see it. It's very easy to immediately judge all of these characters for their actions (It's something I can't help doing during certain other movies as well), but there are treasures to be found in this film if you're able to not let these judgements influence your power of observation.
For some people it's practically impossible to leave their judgements at the door during certain films, though. I've experienced it myself multiple times with other films, so I understand why this particular film gets so much hate.

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539859)

Well, that's a bold claim to make. Yes that may sometimes be the case but I think that the majority of the time someone dislikes a film because it is not to their taste. Not because they are stupid.

Guaporense 06-30-16 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539873)
I'm leaving room for subjectivity. I'm simply saying that some opinions are caused by a lack of the qualities I mentioned earlier.

Someone can still dislike a film like Citizen Kane while completely understanding it, for instance.

I think every film can be disliked by an intelligent person who fully understands said film, but it's also often the case that people aren't intelligent/insightful/mindful/etc. enough to understand it and then that can become the main reason for their dislike.
Indeed. I would add that all "classics" that I disliked (Lion King is not a classic by the way, people into animation don't care about it generally), were because I wasn't interested in their particular genre elements (Casablanca, Chinatown for example, I didn't find anything "bad" with these movies just that they were not the type of movie that I find interesting).

Everything in art (music, manga, sculpture, videogames, film and literature) that I loved is also loved by groups of people into their specific areas and for the same reasons that I do.

Overall, art is subjective but I notice that people's tastes run very close together when they are into the same genres. There is consensus regarding all types of art.

Cobpyth 06-30-16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jackojacko2000 (Post 1539886)
Well, that's a bold claim to make. Yes that may sometimes be the case but I think that the majority of the time someone dislikes a film because it is not to their taste. Not because they are stupid.
Sure. I'm just saying the phenomenon exists (and is at least relatively common, in my opinion).

Omnizoa 06-30-16 11:26 PM

Hrm. /showthread.php?t=45550

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539889)
Sure. I'm just saying the phenomenon exists (relatively commonly).
You are definitely right that it exists and it may be common but it is not the usual reason IMO.

Cobpyth 06-30-16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jackojacko2000 (Post 1539891)
You are definitely right that it exists and it may be common but it is not the usual reason IMO.
Then we agree on the essence. :)

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 11:31 PM

Oh, I just remembered. I really don't like Vertigo. To this day it is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. And I was surprised since I really LOVE Psycho, Rope, Rear Window and The Birds.

Citizen Rules 06-30-16 11:32 PM

I haven't seen Vertigo before, so why don't you like it Jacko? BTW I love the other Hitch films you mentioned.

Jackojacko2000 06-30-16 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539894)
I haven't seen Vertigo before, so why don't you like it Jacko? BTW I love the other Hitch films you mentioned.
Well, first off, the pace is painfully slow. And I don't mean slow burn. I mean SLOW AS HELL!. Every scene has the same level of energy, calm but bland. The mystery is not compelling, the characters have nothing to do and it just overall has no energy or personality. It is just so bland and uninteresting. I almost fell asleep.

Guaporense 07-01-16 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1539884)
There's a lot of humanity in Spring Breakers' characters but you need to be willing to see it. It's very easy to immediately judge all of these characters for their actions (It's something I can't help doing during certain other movies as well), but there are treasures to be found in this film if you're able to not let these judgements influence your power of observation.
For some people it's practically impossible to leave their judgements at the door during certain films, though. I've experienced it myself multiple times with other films, so I understand why this particular film gets so much hate.
I might watch that now.

Guaporense 07-01-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1539894)
Vertigo is the best. It really scared me and I found it really disturbing. While I generally dislike Hitchcock's movies (I find most of them boring), Vertigo was a great experience.

Jackojacko2000 07-01-16 01:22 AM

Also, I find Predator to be SO overrated. It, honestly, has a really tense and really cool 3rd act but the rest is so boring and filled with one note and cheesy characters. I can see how people like this film but I am not a fan at all of cheesy, 80's, testosterone-filled movies. It was so cringe-worthy and boring, except for a really good 3rd act. I really want there to be a dark, violent, mature, tense Predator horror film. That's my kind of film.

Thursday Next 07-01-16 10:06 AM

I don't like The Shawshank Redemption and it bothers me every time I see it sat there at the top of 'best film' lists.

I don't think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is all that either.

Gatsby 07-01-16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1539879)
Just to keep this from getting too serious I will add that I don't understand the hell out of 2001.
In my opinion, 2001 is not one of those movie that should require a mindset trying to grasp it's entire meaning. Perhaps it's because when I first saw it I was amazed by the imagery alone and didn't think of anything else. A black monolith gives me a feeling of relaxation, not confusion.

matt72582 07-01-16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1539688)
You cant be opening a thread with that title and the first post be a smiley! Hell naw, you gotta put it out there, you have to set the tone. Whats your most controversial film opinion Matt? :)
Haven't I said enough?? :)

Gideon58 07-01-16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1539697)
As much as you loved Brokeback Mountain? You should be ashamed of yourself.
I am...hanging my head in shame.

Iroquois 07-01-16 10:49 AM

All of them.

Omnizoa 07-01-16 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1539996)
A black monolith gives me a feeling of relaxation, not confusion.
What an utterly bizarre thing to say.

Topsy 07-01-16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1539994)
I don't like The Shawshank Redemption and it bothers me every time I see it sat there at the top of 'best film' lists.
Yaasss,i was thinking i knew id forgotten something.
do not understand the love for this movie at all.

Camo 07-01-16 01:01 PM

Raul and Sean will be cracking some skulls in this thread soon i imagine. :p

Citizen Rules 07-01-16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jackojacko2000 (Post 1539896)
Vertigo...Well, first off, the pace is painfully slow. And I don't mean slow burn. I mean SLOW AS HELL!. Every scene has the same level of energy, calm but bland. The mystery is not compelling, the characters have nothing to do and it just overall has no energy or personality. It is just so bland and uninteresting. I almost fell asleep.
Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1539907)
Vertigo is the best. It really scared me and I found it really disturbing. While I generally dislike Hitchcock's movies (I find most of them boring), Vertigo was a great experience.
Wow! those are two polar opposite views on Vertigo! So I will have to decide who's right:p I'll watch Vertigo and see what I think:)

Camo 07-01-16 01:06 PM

Are you a fan of Hitchcock, Citizen?

Vertigo is my third favourite of his after North By Northwest and Notorious. I have seen 14 of his films.

Citizen Rules 07-01-16 01:12 PM

Yup, I'm a big fan of Hitch's. I've seen many of his films and most of his American made films. I loved both Notorious and really like North By Northwest. I just seen one of his older British films, Jamaica Inn the other day. For some strange reason I have never gotten around to watching Vertigo. But thanks to this thread:p I just requested it from my library.

BrowningIdentity 07-01-16 01:17 PM

Something controversial by film-goer standards? Okay, I got this:

I like the Star Wars prequels (a trilogy where 2 films are consistently hated) more than The Social Network (a film many people thought deserved BP of 2010). I'm serious - I've even reviewed them:

Star Wars Ep. I - 6/10
Star Wars Ep. II - 5/10
Star Wars Ep. III - 9/10

TSN - 4/10

Camo 07-01-16 01:33 PM

Few popular and/or acclaimed films i don't like much:

Rear Window, No Country For Old Men, L'avventura, Blade Runner, American History X, Trainspotting, All About Eve.

Few panned or mixed reviewed films i like a lot:

Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Showgirls, Batman Forever, Baseketball, The Cable Guy, Poltergeist II

Citizen Rules 07-01-16 01:47 PM

Perhaps Blade Runner will grow on you with a second viewing? Have you only seen it once?

Topsy 07-01-16 01:54 PM

Also i really love the cell-i think its visually so stunning and the nightmare-ish tone it sets.
i dont know what people here think of it but from what i read online most seem to hate it-not met any in real life whose even seen it.
though i am not a fan of vince vaughn.

matt72582 07-01-16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by NextScorsese (Post 1539865)

(I'm not saying anyone is stupid for liking or disliking these movies, I'm just wondering how)
I saw Gummo, which I liked.. Julien Donkey Boy was ok, Werner Herzog was hilarious.. I once tried watching "Spring Breakers" but it seemed like a movie trying to make money, and in the last year or so, if I don't like the first 15-20 minutes, I put on something else, as I don't watch as many movies as I did a few years ago when I didn't have the internet at home..

Camo 07-01-16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1540088)
Perhaps Blade Runner will grow on you with a second viewing? Have you only seen it once?
Twice. I just think it is one of those films that will never work for me. As i said i think it is extremely well made so i understand why it is so loved and acclaimed, i just can't connect with it.

Swan 07-01-16 02:21 PM

I like trashy cinema. I like hateful cinema. I like imperfections in cinema. I think a lot of people are seeking for a level of perfection that is unreachable and causes a small level of anxiety. So I embrace the imperfections, for that reason and others.

Citizen Rules 07-01-16 02:21 PM

I think people who really love Blade Runner connect to it, in an almost spiritual way. So if someone doesn't connect, then the rest of the film doesn't seem to speak to them. I'll be curious to see your review of it in the 10th.