Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Games and Tabs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Halloween Horror Challenge (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=37297)

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 10:10 PM

Halloween Horror Challenge

Everybody loves watching horror films during the month of October, because Halloween. Duh.

Everytime you watch a horror film during the month of October, come into this thread and tell us about it. You don't have to write much, just a sentence or so will be fine.

We are on a point system to make things more interesting. You get 1 point for your regular ol' English language horror films and 2 points for silent or non-English language horror films. However, for those of you that don't care about foreign or silent cinema, I'll also keep track of the overall number of features everybody watches. You can go for that if you'd prefer.

All I ask is that you help me keep up with your score by posting it every time you pop in to inform us of your viewing experience.

Rewatches are fine, but no doubling up will be counted.

I'll keep track of scores in this post. Get to watching.

Total Points

52 - mark f
39 - Derek Vinyard
21 - Godoggo
20 - Sane
11 - MovieMeditation
11 - TheUsualSuspect
9 - nostromo87
9 - Nausicaä
8 - Arcanis
7 - jiraffejustin
7 - Sinny McGuffins
6 - BlueLion
6 - The Gunslinger45
5 - Sedai
4 - Kaplan
3 - teeter_g
2 - Sexy Celebrity
1 - Thursday Next
1 - rauldc14

Total Films Watched

48 - mark f
32 - Derek Vinyard
15 - Sane
15 - Godoggo
10 - TheUsualSuspect
9 - nostromo87
9 - MovieMeditation
8 - Arcanis
8 - Nausicaä
6 - Sinny McGuffins
6 - The Gunslinger45
5 - BlueLion
5 - Sedai
4 - jiraffejustin
3 - Kaplan
3 - teeter_g
2 - Sexy Celebrity
1 - Thursday Next
1 - rauldc14

Sane 09-30-14 10:20 PM

I'll play :)

Now, defining horror? Just use IMDB?

Sexy Celebrity 09-30-14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1180831)
You get 1 point for your regular ol' English language horror films and 2 points for silent or non-English language horror films.
That's ridiculous. Foreign horror is crap. It should be 2 points for English language horror, 1 point for non-English.

Nostromo87 09-30-14 10:22 PM

this is probably going to be my favorite thread of the 2014 fall season :D

will probably be posting all sorts of Halloween-holiday related stuff in here, as it is my favorite of the year. along with some horror movie updates

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2s8o1tz.jpg

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sane (Post 1180835)
Now, defining horror? Just use IMDB?
Hmm. I don't know. I am pretty lenient on this type of thing. Does anybody have any suggestions?

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1180837)
That's ridiculous. Foreign horror is crap. It should be 2 points for English language horror, 1 point for non-English.
I know. That rule is dumb, but that's why I made this challenge a two-parter. You don't have to participate in the challenge that's weighted to favor foreign/silent. :)

Sexy Celebrity 09-30-14 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1180851)
I know. That rule is dumb, but that's why I made this challenge a two-parter. You don't have to participate in the challenge that's weighted to favor foreign/silent. :)
The only thing that should be silent is YOU.

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1180874)
The only thing that should be silent is YOU.
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...29859113-9.jpg

Sexy Celebrity 09-30-14 11:07 PM

Re: Halloween Horror Challenge

Thank you.

Derek Vinyard 09-30-14 11:10 PM

this is my cup of tea !! I'm definitely in and maybe i'm going to win :p

rauldc14 09-30-14 11:13 PM

I've no time for this:(. Mainly cause I need to get started on the fifth Hall of Fame in my free time that I rarely have. Plus, my 60s films.

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1180891)
I've no time for this:(. Mainly cause I need to get started on the fifth Hall of Fame in my free time that I rarely have. Plus, my 60s films.
It's all good, homie. Hopefully we'll all be here come this time next year, so we can do it again and you can participate.

Camo 09-30-14 11:15 PM

I have one objective on Halloween and that's to rewatch: The Exorcist. I usually watch a few Horrors, but the only definite is, The Exorcist. Seriously i'd miss my kids birthday to watch The Exorcist, provided he beat the 365 to 1 odds of being born on Halloween, then i'd probably just celebrate my kids birthday :p.

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 11:17 PM

I was born on Halloween. No for real.

Camo 09-30-14 11:18 PM

Well i'd probably ignore you since your a bearded Russian much older than me. :p

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 11:20 PM

I appreciate that, I wouldn't want you to kill me, Biney.

Justin 09-30-14 11:23 PM

AMC is doing a a "fear fest" that begins on the 17th. Before then, of course, I'll be watching plenty of horror movies. I'll try to keep this thread in mind.

jiraffejustin 09-30-14 11:25 PM

That reminds me, I probably won't be on here from the 15th to the 19th or 20th. As long as everybody helps me out by keeping track of their viewing, I shouldn't have any problems catching up when I get back.

Derek Vinyard 09-30-14 11:26 PM

@Camo You're Right Man The Exorcist ROCK !

donniedarko 09-30-14 11:53 PM

I'll play, reanimator did something similar one or two years ago where it was a challenge to watch a horror movie everyday. This sounds fun too though, I need to watch more movies I've been on a drought lately. Not sure how many I'll actually be able to watch for this though since I'll be travelling a ton this month.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 10-01-14 12:27 AM

sure i'll play. i probably won't do a ton, but i am anticipating watching a few giallos once i'm done with the HoF.

jiraffejustin 10-01-14 04:13 AM

Can somebody recommend me some horror/comedies from the 2000-2014 time range?

jrs 10-01-14 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1181005)
14 years is a big gap. But alright I'll try...

Shaun of the Dead
Eight Legged Freaks
Zombieland
Fido
Bubba Ho-Tep
Dead Snow
Slither
Teeth
feast
Severance
Scary Movie
Santa's Slay
Dead & Breakfast
Black Sheep
Evil Bong
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
Otis
Infestation
Lesbian Vampire Killers
Stan Helsing
Thankskilling
Zombie Ass
John Dies at the End
Bad Milo!
A Haunted House
This Is the End
Warm Bodies
You're Next

Sane 10-01-14 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1181005)
The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Joss Whedon
Dog Soldiers (2002) - Neil Marshall
Excision (2012) - Richard Bates Jr
Planet Terror (2007) - Robert Rodriguez
Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010) - Eli Craig
The Host (2006) - Bong Joon Ho (2 pointer!)
Jason X (2002) -James Isaac
Calvaire (2004) - Fabrice du Welz (2 pointer!)

Hit Girl 10-01-14 08:20 AM

I'm in. Don't think I'll win, but I'll have a go. :)

http://en.clipart-fr.com/data/gif/ha...loween_408.gif

Sane 10-01-14 03:52 PM

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - Stephen Hopkins
Better than the fourth one but still bad.

Movies: 1

Sane 10-01-14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1180847)
Hmm. I don't know. I am pretty lenient on this type of thing. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I'll probably just use Criticker's genres and if you think anything doesn't qualify just don't count it.

Sane 10-01-14 04:46 PM

Damien: Omen II (1978) - Don Taylor
Disappointing sequel. Bad acting and a flimsy story that makes it play out like a slasher film where I was just waiting to see how they killed the next person.
+

Movies: 2

jiraffejustin 10-01-14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sane (Post 1181207)
I'll probably just use Criticker's genres and if you think anything doesn't qualify just don't count it.
It won't really bother me what you consider horror or not, I'd probably only not count something if a bunch of forumites started chasing you around with pitchforks and torches for what you counted as horror.

MovieMeditation 10-01-14 05:00 PM

Defiantly gonna play! Starting today with Halloween 4! :)

Derek Vinyard 10-01-14 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1180942)
sure i'll play. i probably won't do a ton, but i am anticipating watching a few giallos once i'm done with the HoF.
does Spring Breakers counts as an horror movie ?? it's really horrific if you know what I mean... :D

Derek Vinyard 10-01-14 07:53 PM

House Of Wax (2005) - Jaume Collet-Serra
- Bad movie but very funny especially when Paris Hilton got her head decapitated I give it a 2.5 just because of that :p .

Arcanis 10-01-14 08:02 PM

Sounds like my kind of challenge.

I started The Conjuring at midnight this morning. It really goes to show why BH Productions is the only real name in horror these days. The reuse the same talanted individuals when they find them and stick to tension and suspense for their means of terror.

8/10

jiraffejustin 10-01-14 08:20 PM

Little Otik (2000; Jan Svankmajer) - Delectably weird piece of cinema from Svankmajer, whom I'm starting to love. It's listed as a comedy on IMDb, but I didn't really see anything funny about it. It just had an off-kilter atmosphere, which is the only explanation I can think of that it would be listed as such.

MovieMeditation 10-01-14 08:41 PM

Well, I had a sync problem with Halloween 4 so I threw on Human Centipede. I just thought it had to be seen even though I knew how complete crap it would be.

Edit: Actually, this movie is dutch so that makes it foreign. Even though there's english in it, it's also with dutch, german and japanese spoken. So how do we decide when it counts as 2 points? The movies origin country or the foreign langauge spoken in 95% of the film????

Sexy Celebrity 10-01-14 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sane (Post 1181202)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - Stephen Hopkins
Better than the fourth one but still bad.

I have been meaning to watch this soon since I just watched 4.

jiraffejustin 10-01-14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1181327)
Well, I had a sync problem with Halloween 4 so I threw on Human Centipede. I just thought it had to be seen even though I knew how complete crap it would be.

Edit: Actually, this movie is dutch so that makes it foreign. Even though there's english in it, it's also with dutch, german and japanese spoken. So how do we decide when it counts as 2 points? The movies origin country or the foreign langauge spoken in 95% of the film????

Is the film mainly in English or other languages?

The Gunslinger45 10-01-14 09:16 PM

Just watched Tusk again today. Crazy creepy movie I wrote a review about.

Movie: 1

Sane 10-02-14 03:23 AM

The Tenant (1976) - Roman Polanski
Has lots of good qualities but unfortunately the bad acting (and dubbing), particularly with many of the support actors as well as Polanski himself, was quite distracting. It was decent but the worst of the trilogy IMO.

Movies: 3

The Gunslinger45 10-02-14 05:43 AM

Diary of the Dead

Kaplan 10-02-14 08:28 AM

I usually try to fill up on horror movies this time of year, so I'll be back to report on what I've seen. Great idea.

MovieMeditation 10-02-14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1181346)
Is the film mainly in English or other languages?
Hard to say. If you put it up against eachother it would probably be 50/50. If not, then maybe 60% english. There isn't really too much dialogue in it tbh.

But anyways, I'll just settle with the 1 point. :)

Sane 10-02-14 04:45 PM

Cure (1997) - Kiyoshi Kurosawa
I wouldn't place Kurosawa near the top of my list of modern Japanese directors but from what I've seen so far he always makes very interesting movies with a very restrained style. This is an atmospheric horror movie with a very surprising last 30 seconds.
-

Movies: 4

Derek Vinyard 10-02-14 05:09 PM

Dead Silence (rewatch) James Wan
- I like this movie and I find it very underrated ... The Ending is awesome and Mary Shaw is creepy as hell
-

Movies:2

jiraffejustin 10-02-14 09:18 PM

Juan of the Dead (2011; Alejandro Brugués) - The first zombie movie made in Cuba, which was enough to pique my interest. Then I found out that it was a comedy. I saw a poster that had the lead and his buddy on it. Shaun of the Dead was instantly brought to mind. I thought it might have just been made to be Shaun of the Dead but in Cuba. I was wrong, the characters are enough of their own thing to put that thought to rest. And while it's not as funny or as good as Shaun, it's still a funny little zombie action flick. It's worth the watch.

films: 2

rauldc14 10-02-14 09:20 PM

I saw parts of Halloween 2 on TV. I hope I just caught the bad parts, because it looked bloody awful.

MovieMeditation 10-02-14 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1181792)
I saw parts of Halloween 2 on TV. I hope I just caught the bad parts, because it looked bloody awful.
If it's Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 from 2009 then YES it's freaking awful and one of the worst movies ever made.

Talking about Halloween...

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

jiraffejustin 10-03-14 03:41 AM

Dead Snow (2009; Tommy Wirkola)

I was expecting a bit more schlock, but this movie really isn't played for laughs* despite it's wacky premise. I really wanted to like it, but there's just too many things I can't get behind that hindered the experience for me.

*I know that in a few scenes some splatter gags are employed, but overall I think they wanted to be more serious than funny. Well, at least up until that awful final battle scene.

Hit Girl 10-03-14 09:26 AM

Thanks to the Halloween Big Brother competition, you are now dead JJ. Drowned!

The Sci-Fi Slob 10-03-14 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1181661)
Dead Silence (rewatch) James Wan
- I like this movie and I find it very underrated ... The Ending is awesome and Mary Shaw is creepy as hell
-

Movies:2

This is the only James Wan film I hate. It's chessy as hell, and the plot is bilge.
from me I'm afraid.

:cage:

Sedai 10-03-14 11:07 AM

Salem's Lot (Oct 1) - A 1979 TV miniseries directed by Tobe Hooper. For a TV series, it's pretty well done, and has some genuinely creepy scenes.

The Hills Have Eyes (Oct 2) - Aja's remake is directed pretty darn well, I must say. I may like this more than the original.

Arcanis 10-03-14 03:10 PM

Freddy vs Jason - 7/10

This is the only film in the original Friday the 13th series that I find even remotely tolerable. Even though it's just a 21st century monster mash and obvious cash-grab, it's just so fun doing it that I can't help but gloss over its more lacking parts (of which, don't get me wrong, there are many). The premise of throwing the two antagonists into a movie together makes more sense than it has any right to, the kills are entertaining and the film as a whole is fairly servicable.

1408 - 9/10

This is easily my favorite Stephen King horror adaptation (based upon one of my favorite Stephen King short stories). Great casting, writing and direction make this a chillingly good film. It's a shame that his other films don't step their game up as much as this one did.

Sane 10-03-14 04:12 PM

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) - Robert Aldrich
Fantastic performance from Bette Davis and an excellent Sunset Boulevard-esque ending.
-

No Such Thing (2001) - Hal Hartley
Criticker calls it a horror movie and Hartley himself seemed to consider that it was but it's pretty borderline. It does use a horror story line - it has people in a small Icelandic village getting tourists drunk and then leaving them outside the local monster's lair - but it's a more of a Beauty & the Beast story with themes related to the media and the need for instant gratification. Sarah Polley & Robert John Burke are great as is the first half of the movie. Second half is a bit messy but overall I really liked it.
-

Movies: 6

Derek Vinyard 10-03-14 05:14 PM

1408 - Damn it's good ! Cusack is awesome and the storyline is pretty entertaining! I like the ending definitely a very good Stephen King Adaptation.

Scream (rewatch) - Funny , Scary , well crafted and very nice acting. Wes Craven 2nd best movie in my opinion the ending is great.

Movies: 4

MovieMeditation 10-03-14 08:49 PM

Going strong with my Halloween marathon!

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

Well, it started out good honestly, and the buiid-up was better and more creepy in this than 4. The girl who plays Jamie is freaking great though, even better in this than 4. Unfortunately, this didn't get much better, and rather declined. A lot of weird and stupid decisions in this too but to some extent it was enjoyable...

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 02:14 AM

Just finish ...

The Last House On The Left (2009) - Dennis Iliadis
- Good movie with some disturbing very violent scenes but it's very long per moment .... the acting is nice , the storyline is nice and the atmosphere of the whole movie is quite good. The Ending is awesome and it's the best part imo.

Movies:5

honeykid 10-04-14 09:44 AM

Surprised to see such high praise for 1408. I felt it was proof that it was easier for Samuel L Jackson to be in bad film than it was John Cusack to be in a good one.

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 01:30 PM

Hell yeah !

Just finish...

Jennifer's Body (2009) - Karyn Kusama
- Megan Fox is completely I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E but in spite of that this movie is a total boredom and snoozefest. One of the worst horror storyline that I ever seen.... very bad movie but I give a 1.5 because of Megan Fox.

Movies:6

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by martinkandersonart (Post 1182710)
I recommend a viewing of Audition by Takashi Miike.
I already see it ... and very don't like it. It's a complete snoozefest imo

jiraffejustin 10-04-14 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1182704)
Hell yeah !

Just finish...

Jennifer's Body (2009) - Karyn Kusama
- Megan Fox is completely I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E but in spite of that this movie is a total boredom and snoozefest. One of the worst horror storyline that I ever seen.... very bad movie but I give a 1.5 because of Megan Fox.

Movies:6
You have to watch this movie with a group of friends, specifically a funny group of friends. You would then have a blast.

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1182714)
You have to watch this movie with a group of friends, specifically a funny group of friends. You would then have a blast.
hahaha maybe but I was alone and I find it pretty awful :p but you're maybe right

jiraffejustin 10-04-14 02:05 PM

Oh, it is awful, but that's why it's fun to watch with some funny friends.

Sane 10-04-14 03:14 PM

Cannibal: The Musical (1996) - Trey Parker
Fun low budget horror movie but the songs get kind of annoying.
+

Tokyo Fist (1995) - Shinya Tsukamoto
Tsukamoto brings his unique brand of horror to a boxing movie ... and it works really well.

Movies: 8

R.P. McMurphy 10-04-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1182494)
Just finish ...

The Last House On The Left (2009) - Dennis Iliadis
- Good movie with some disturbing very violent scenes but it's very long per moment .... the acting is nice , the storyline is nice and the atmosphere of the whole movie is quite good. The Ending is awesome and it's the best part imo.

Movies:5
Have you seen the original from 1972? So brutal and disturbing.

honeykid 10-04-14 03:30 PM

Cannibal: The Musical and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane are horror films?

mark f 10-04-14 04:24 PM

I'm not sure if I'm carrying through with this, but this is what I've seen the first 3 1/2 days. :)

The Sacrament (Ti West, 2014)
- Not a supernatural horror, but a real-life one with West doing his version of Jonestown with something akin to found-footage technique;

Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez, 2007)
Sci-fi horror resembling a cheapo '70s flick with some well-timed laughs and gore but a little too obvious.

Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings (Jeff Burr, 1994)
The monster from Pumpkinhead gets resurrected and possessed by a new spirit before it goes on a rampage in this fair-but-lesser sequel.

Creepshow (George A. Romero, 1982)
+ Romero teams up with Stephen King to make a five-part horror which is never as good as it should be, but still offers some horror comic entertainment, especially the E.G. Marshall cockroach finale.

Open Grave (Gonzalo López-Gallego, 2013)
As much a mystery as a horror, this atmospheric thriller has some gore but it's not really its reason for being.

Night Train to Terror (5 Directors, 1985)
Camp Rating:
Totally-insane mishmash edited together from other films which tells three idiotic stories while God and Satan talk on a train and an '80s "rock band" plays songs in one of the train cars. More fun than a barrel of rabid monkeys.

No One Lives (Ryûhei Kitamura, 2012)
Competing serial killers find out slowly but surely who's the deadliest and goriest.

Grave Encounters 2 (John Poliquin, 2012)
A film student becomes obsessed with a horror film and it affects his own film work and life. Cheap but gory.

Day of the Dead 2: Contagium (Ana Clavell & James Dudelson, 2005)
Mostly-boring retake/sequel to the Romero flick with most of the gore effects at the beginning and the end.

Dead Before Dawn (April Mullen, 2012)
+ Decent horror film with doses of comedy but a few surprising, shocking moments. By far the best of the 2/5 movies here, but not up to 2.5.

Resurrection County (Matt Zettell, 2008)
Slow-starting camping trip flick turns into familiar torture horror, maybe more believable and better-acted than most

10 movies - 10 pts.

christine 10-04-14 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1181319)
Little Otik (2000; Jan Svankmajer) - Delectably weird piece of cinema from Svankmajer, whom I'm starting to love. It's listed as a comedy on IMDb, but I didn't really see anything funny about it. It just had an off-kilter atmosphere, which is the only explanation I can think of that it would be listed as such.

Love that film. I lent someone the DVD and never got it back :(

honeykid 10-04-14 05:28 PM

If mark's playing, y'all can forget about winning this thing.

Didn't you watch Death Proof, too, mark? Or was that before October?

mark f 10-04-14 05:51 PM

That was the 1st. Would you count that?

honeykid 10-04-14 05:58 PM

I would.

Sane 10-04-14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1182770)
Cannibal: The Musical and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane are horror films?
Yeah and I agree that Death Proof fits into an expanded definition of horror - serial killer movie where someone's leg comes off - that's horror :)

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1182823)
Grave Encounters 2 (John Poliquin, 2012)
A film student becomes obsessed with a horror film and it affects his own film work and life. Cheap but gory.[/b]
the first one rock !

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 07:11 PM

A Serbian Film (rewatch) (2010) Srdjan Spasojevic
- The most goriest and disturbing movie that I've ever seen. The Ending is brutal and shocking and the storyline is very gory in all aspects. But I enjoy it and like it. Not For everyone...
+

Movies:7

mark f 10-04-14 07:47 PM

What about Joy Ride? That's sort of a cross between The Hitcher, Road Games and Duel.

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1182981)
What about Joy Ride? That's sort of a cross between The Hitcher, Road Games and Duel.
I've seen The Hitcher and Duel and I prefer by far Joy Ride to both of them....

Sinny McGuffins 10-04-14 08:57 PM

I wouldn't call myself a horror fan. I like and love plenty of horror films, but it’s never been a genre I ever indulged in… until now.

I was actually planning on checking off some more horror films during October anyway, and I have some foreign-language and silent films on my watch-list already, so this challenge sounds great to me! I haven't started yet, mind you. But I will fix that right now... I'm about to watch Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/h08...0corpses15.jpg

jiraffejustin 10-04-14 09:06 PM

Hey Mark, I'd count Death Proof if I were you. Say the word and I'll add it for you.

mark f 10-04-14 09:49 PM

OK, but what about Joy Ride?

jiraffejustin 10-04-14 09:51 PM

I'd say it probably counts, I'll add both.

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1183024)
OK, but what about Joy Ride?
whats you're rating for Joy Ride ? I'm curious :p

MovieMeditation 10-04-14 10:00 PM

Oh hai Mark (Tommy Wisau voice)

- Slow the f down with the movie watching bro you killng us all! :P

Derek Vinyard 10-04-14 10:05 PM

Ginger Snaps (2000) - John Fawcett
- Decent werewolf story with decent acting... I don't like the mood and the gothic atmosphere during the movie and that's a big factor of it so my appreciation is not very good :p

Movies:8

donniedarko 10-05-14 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1183028)
Oh hai Mark (Tommy Wisau voice)

- Slow the f down with the movie watching bro you killng us all! :P
Vineyard isn't much behind.

I am though :p

jyothireddy 10-05-14 03:58 AM

Probably My favourite. Always use to see the horror mostly in night.

jiraffejustin 10-05-14 05:28 AM

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006; Scott Glosserman)

A really interesting take on the slasher genre. Very refreshing and innovative. If you like Scream, give this a go. (If you don't like Scream, you should still give this a go.)

Films: 4

honeykid 10-05-14 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1183030)
Ginger Snaps (2000) - John Fawcett
- Decent werewolf story with decent acting... I don't like the mood and the gothic atmosphere during the movie and that's a big factor of it so my appreciation is not very good :p

Movies:8
You're killing me with this rating, Derek. :( That's a great film and one of the few really good werewolf films.

Sedai 10-05-14 09:28 AM

The Loved Ones (Byrne, 2009)

Ack! WIcked and violent, but really well done. Not something I would watch again, if simply because it's a bit too visceral.

Swan 10-05-14 01:16 PM

I love that movie, Sedai.

Sane 10-05-14 02:50 PM

Nosferatu (1922) - FW Murnau
Didn't like this quite as much as I hoped - having seen the Herzog remake first may have had something to do with it. Anyway, it was good but I didn't find it overly creepy - something the Herzog version excelled at IMO.
-

Bride of the Monster (1955) - Edward D Wood Jr
So, turns out Ed Wood movies really do suck. Still, it was better than at least two Twilight movies ...

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920) - Robert Wiene
Amazing movie. This really was creepy in parts and the set designed was brilliant.

Movies: 11

honeykid 10-05-14 04:21 PM

Silent films count as foreign language?

Derek Vinyard 10-05-14 04:38 PM

Freddy Vs Jason (2003) - Ronny Yu
- I like it but I perfectly know that it's awful as hell. It's funny to see two of horror most epic killer fight against each other and Jason Voorhees is a beast so it's a fun film :p.
+

Movies:9

Godoggo 10-05-14 04:47 PM

Halloween ~ Got to watch this with my dad who got me into horror in the first place. Still scary.

Return of the Living Dead ~ not quite as fun as I remembered it, but still a good time and it still serves as being a little scary too.

Dark Water ~ this was on tv while everyone else was asleep and I'll admit to watching it just to get the point. Nothing about this is original or scary. Unless you need to watch really tame horror, everyone should give this a pass.

3 movies/3 points

Swan 10-05-14 04:48 PM

GODOGGO'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jiraffejustin 10-05-14 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1183384)
Silent films count as foreign language?
Silent and foreign language both get the two point treatment

Derek Vinyard 10-05-14 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1183419)
thats it I listen to Eden Lake later :)

honeykid 10-05-14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1183419)
Cool. I didn't remember seeing that in the rules so I was just wondering. :) Don't want Sane getting away with something sneaky. He's already had two I'd query. ;)

Sane 10-05-14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1183442)
Cool. I didn't remember seeing that in the rules so I was just wondering. :) Don't want Sane getting away with something sneaky. He's already had two I'd query. ;)
So you've questioned what I've included twice now but you are trying to get extra points for others. Taking an interesting approach ...

honeykid 10-05-14 05:45 PM

How am I trying to get extra points for other?

Sane 10-05-14 05:48 PM

Death Proof.

honeykid 10-05-14 05:57 PM

I'd forgotten about that. You're right, but it's a slasher. I wouldn't think of it as a horror film, but it obeys slasher conventions so I'd assume that JJ would allow it. Same as he'd allow Alien and Jaws, but don't consider either of them horror films. As I said when this was announced, there's no way I could run this as I'd be banning films left, right and centre. :D