Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rauldc14's 2nd Top 100 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=32918)

rauldc14 08-21-13 05:50 PM

Rauldc14's 2nd Top 100

Well folks, it's been well over 3 years since I've put my top 100 onto this board. The difference, well, I've seen a crapton of films in the past 3 years and when I first posted my top 100 here I hadn't many recommendations from this forum. I look back on my old top 100 and still love many of the films that are there but it's time for an "official" change. So you'll see many new films here.

But first, I give you the 8 films that just barely missed the cut:
Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)
The Fighter (David O. Russell)
Raising Arizona (The Coen Brothers)
Cinderella Man (Ron Howard)
The Impossible (Juan Antonio Bayona)
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorcese)
Dirty Harry (Don Siegel)

3 of these films were on my past top 100 (Taxi Driver, Vertigo, Cinderella Man). Still really like them but had to make room for other films.

In all, I know not everyone will be pleased with my list but it is what it is and I figured it was time to show the progression that I've made with what films I now enjoy.

Mr Minio 08-21-13 05:56 PM

Re: Rauldc14's 2nd Top 100

Progression? If watching more arthouse is what you call progression it's cool, but if it is not it's cool as well. You're cool after all. Just post the list already. Really curious what's better than The Thin Red Line and Vertigo in your opinion.

Daniel M 08-21-13 06:21 PM

Looking forward to this, some of the films that just missed out are great, but I'm expecting some great stuff in the top 100 too :D

rauldc14 08-21-13 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 945957)
Progression? If watching more arthouse is what you call progression it's cool, but if it is not it's cool as well. You're cool after all. Just post the list already. Really curious what's better than The Thin Red Line and Vertigo in your opinion.
And remember, it's more of a top 100 favorites list, than a top 100 best list. Not much of a difference, but there is a slight difference.

rauldc14 08-21-13 06:26 PM

By progression I mean with my last list, I'd hardly seen anything per 1980, limited black and white, and a handful of foreign. Still a ways to go, but that's why I call it progression.

honeykid 08-21-13 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 945957)
Really curious what's better than ... Vertigo in your opinion.
Well, I've listed 100 films that are better for a start and I could put another 100 up too. :p

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 945975)
Looking forward to this, some of the films that just missed out are great, but I'm expecting some great stuff in the top 100 too :D
I'm not, but that's because rauldc have very different taste. I'm still looking forward to the new list, though. I wonder which new films we'll have to disagree over. :D

Mr Minio 08-21-13 07:00 PM

Of course it's your top of favourites. That's why I added 'in your opinion' in my last post. That's a good progression, then. Never cease to expand your movie knowledge.

Guaporense 08-21-13 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 945979)
And remember, it's more of a top 100 favorites list, than a top 100 best list. Not much of a difference, but there is a slight difference.
I once tried to do a top 100 best films separate from a top 100 favorites but in the end it was just another favorites list but that also that included some films that impressed me in ways that I didn't like very much, films that I think would be impressive to other people.

Now I just know that art is subjective and thus there isn't such a thing as a discrepancy between two things when they are the same: the only input you get from watching a movie is the subjective experience you have.

Mr Minio 08-21-13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 946012)
Well, I've listed 100 films that are better for a start and I could put another 100 up too. :p
Me too, but it's a very highly regarded film, so I'm just curious what will be higher.

Guaporense 08-21-13 07:03 PM

Yeah, even this forum has developed some sacred cows by now. People should stop worshiping a few movies since there are many masterpieces out there.

When I did my top 100 I put Vertigo on the 100th place just to say: look people, here are 100 movies that I liked more than Vertigo. Then some people even criticized my list saying that I wouldn't be able to find 100 movies better than it. What a stupid thing to say.

rauldc14 08-21-13 07:10 PM

I'm not, but that's because rauldc have very different taste. I'm still looking forward to the new list, though. I wonder which new films we'll have to disagree over. :D
We have more film taste in common than you think HK. For instance, we both like 50 First Dates :p

Skepsis93 08-21-13 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 946018)
People should stop worshiping a few movies since there are many masterpieces out there.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...o_Miyazaki.jpg

honeykid 08-21-13 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 946019)
We have more film taste in common than you think HK. For instance, we both like 50 First Dates :p
True. I didn't say we don't like any of the same films. TBH, I'm expecting to like about 20%-30%.

edarsenal 08-21-13 08:33 PM

damn curious to see the list, let 'em roll, rauldc14!! :)

HitchFan97 08-21-13 08:55 PM

No Vertigo or Taxi Driver? The nerve of you to tip two of my sacred cows. Looking forward to the list.

Cobpyth 08-21-13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 945949)
In all, I know not everyone will be pleased with my list but it is what it is and I figured it was time to show the progression that I've made with what films I now enjoy.
You call leaving Taxi Driver and Vertigo off your list progression?

Just joking. :p

I'm probably not going to like all of the fims on your list, but I remember Casablanca being on your previous top 10, so I'm also going to like/love many of your choices.

I hope you will be writing a little bit about each movie on your top 100 too, so I can read your deeper opinions about some of your picks. :)

rauldc14 08-21-13 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 946152)
No Vertigo or Taxi Driver? The nerve of you to tip two of my sacred cows. Looking forward to the list.
Honestly, it's probably due to the fact I haven't seen either in so long. Especially with Vertigo. They could have easily made the list, but just short this time.

rauldc14 08-21-13 09:23 PM

100. The Lucky Ones

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ky.xlarge1.jpg

Obviously a huge guilty pleasure of mine, but in honesty, a great film too. All 3 of the lead roles are excellent. I think it is Rachel McAdams best pure acting role, and Pena and Robbins have this to add to their impressive resumes. Plus, I've always been a sucker for the Road Trip films. For whatever reason, it is a film that I connect with highly, for a number of reasons. Cheever, Colee, and TK are the Lucky Ones, each lucky for their own reasons and the film makes me think about how much worse off things really could be, and to cherish what we have in our lives, be it love or friendship or the adventures themselves.

99. National Treasure

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...FVP67JSnMBXqyw

I'm not sure if maybe I've just caught the right films, but I actually don't mind Nicolas Cage as an actor. The movie is good for what it is: a pure adventure film. Not oscar or award worthy of anything, just a fun ride throughout. And bonus points for having Diane Kruger in it. The concept of the film is what draws me too it. No, it's about as unrealistic as unrealistic can be, but that's what the fun part of it is. Keep an open mind and it's a fun thrill ride.

98. The Cider House Rules

http://whysoblu.com/wp-content/uploa...8472215541.jpg

A touching film that has some great performances in it. It's too bad that a film like this had to miss out on the MOFO 90's top 100. In particular, an incredible role from Michael Caine, and also perhaps Tobey McGuire's and Charlize Theron's (ok, not better than Monster) best roles. A movie I can genuinely say has touched my heart. We need more films like this one.

97. The General

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibit...general_03.jpg

The movie that makes me appreciate Buster Keaton to such a high level. This movie mind you is from the 20's but it doesn't feel like it one bit. The movie holds up incredibly well, is well paced and the action keeps you on the edge of your seat. Just because the movie is getting older and older, doesn't mean the movie isn't continually growing on me. Has some very iconic scenes that are still looked up to this day in Hollywood, such as the one that is pictured here.

honeykid 08-21-13 09:38 PM

So far we're 0-4. :D

rauldc14 08-21-13 09:42 PM

I knew u hated the first 3 (if you've actually seen The Lucky Ones). For some reason I thought u enjoyed The General.

donniedarko 08-21-13 09:45 PM

I'm with you on National Treasure, a highly underrated thriller, the second one was also good, but the first one was a solid
, maybe even with a plus. The General is, like most Keaton films, one that I didn't find interesting. Dull watch for me, and I think I tried three times already, twice atleast

honeykid 08-21-13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 946257)
I knew u hated the first 3 (if you've actually seen The Lucky Ones). For some reason I thought u enjoyed The General.
I've not seen any of the first three. I've just never fancied any of them. The General I watched for about an hour, but became bored and turned it off. So, in fact, I haven't seen any of the first four.

seanc 08-21-13 09:50 PM

Liked Cider House Rules quite a bit. I have been meaning to see The General since it's been on Netflix. I have not heard of The Lucky Ones which seems weird, I will check it out.

The Gunslinger45 08-21-13 09:50 PM

Taxi Driver did not make the list? I am not amused. :mad:

Oh well to each there own. I liked The General and National Treasure was a lot of fun.

Daniel M 08-21-13 10:39 PM

I've only fully seen The General out of those, watched it the other week, great film and an undoubted classic. I am trying to watch more Keaton, Sherlock Jr. is the other I've seen and I loved it.

Harry Lime 08-21-13 10:42 PM

You cut Vertigo, Taxi Driver, and The Thin Red Line for what now?

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 946222)

rauldc14 08-21-13 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 946354)
You cut Vertigo, Taxi Driver, and The Thin Red Line for what now?
Still love them all.

rauldc14 08-21-13 10:47 PM

Darn didn't realize both Vertigo and Taxi Driver were in your top 10 lime. Like I said though they are great and still considered huge favorites of mine.

Harry Lime 08-21-13 10:55 PM

It's your list, I'm just bugging you.

edarsenal 08-21-13 11:04 PM

I agree, national is a fun ride and cider house was a very good film

Mr Minio 08-22-13 07:07 AM

If you were to add Cage guilty pleasure, you should've added The Wicker Man.

rauldc14 08-22-13 02:16 PM

96. Sin City

http://www.stockphotoguides.com/file...s/sin_city.jpg

What I liked about the film is that it just feels like a different type of film. The cinematography and the setting of the film is like no other. Interesting that it's pretty much a black and white film, aside from all the red that we see. It's an impressive production to say the least. It's also impressive to see the films cast get out of their comfort zone, into roles that are not similar to anything that they have ever done before. Depending how they go about the storyline, the 2nd film may have a chance to be impressive as well, though I can't see it standing up to this one.

95. Red Eye

http://movies.radiofree.com/photos/red_eye_10097.jpg

Mr. Wesley Craven delivers. Whenever one only has about an hour to spare and they are wondering what to watch, I'd go to this film, which is the shortest timed film in my collection, but it packs a punch and doesn't seem as short as it is. Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy create the perfect one two punch, and Wes Craven puts the story together in candid fashion. Nothing but a pure adrenaline rush of film that never grows old to me. The realistic setting of the film is also something that has always appealed to me, since the story itself may be a bit farfetched. You feel like you are a part of the story when you are watching it, rooting more and more for McAdams character while continually rooting against Murphy's.

94. It's a Wonderful Life

http://obrag.org/wp-content/uploads/...-life-foto.jpg

The classic christmas film that is a must watch every year. Never gets tiring, never grows old. The idea in itself from Capra was ingenious. And to think that I hadn't seen this film before I joined MOFO. Of course, it's also another movie that extends James Stewart's impressive resume, with his outstanding performance as George Bailey, whom tries to take down the evil Mr. Potter who is trying to run the town over with his business. Donna Reed also chips in a great performance in my opinion, and it's always grand to see how the story unfolds as Clarence finally gets his wings. Really makes you think how important family and friends are and how to not let your job get in front of your own life. I can see this continually climbing up on future lists of mine.

93. Sansho the Bailiff

http://www.jpf.org.au/jcinema/jcw2012/3-4-sansho.jpg

An absolute gem of a film from Kenji Mizoguchi. It's the story of two children whom are sold into slavery, split literally from their own mother. An absolute tear jerker of a film, filled with so much emotion. The parts that really get me are when Anju hears the slave girl sing the song about her and her brother, which makes her believe her mother is still alive. Also just the generally journey of Zushio, put through so much torture and pain in himself, deciding literally between life, morals, and seeking justice in the base of humanity. Without giving too much away, I must say if you haven't seen this film, even if you aren't a big fan of foreign you have to give this movie a chance. Without joining this forum I believe there is literally no way I would have seen this absolute gem of a film. The ending is absolutely breathtaking, perhaps one of the best endings of any film.

Pussy Galore 08-22-13 02:36 PM

I love Sin City and it's a Wonderfull Life. They might both be in my top 100 to.

I have not seen the other 2 i'll check them out !

seanc 08-22-13 03:05 PM

I never get tired of watching Its A Wonderful Life once a year. One of my faves and an all time great for sure.

Mr Minio 08-22-13 03:23 PM

Sansho - now I know why you didn't include Vertigo.

Gabrielle947 08-22-13 04:36 PM

Don't listen to them - I enjoyed National Treasure,too ^^

Daniel M 08-22-13 04:40 PM

Sin City is great. Shockingly I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life, Sansho the Bailiff is really high up on my foreign films watchlist too.

The Gunslinger45 08-22-13 05:22 PM

Sin City is awesome and It's a Wonderful Life is EXCELLENT!

Cobpyth 08-22-13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 946758)
Sin City is awesome and It's a Wonderful Life is EXCELLENT!
Exactly!

donniedarko 08-22-13 06:25 PM

I hate Sin City, I've said this so many times though. I own Sansho but keep putting it off

honeykid 08-22-13 08:09 PM

I like Sin City. We're upto 1, Dustin. :):up:

edarsenal 08-22-13 08:53 PM

Wonderful Life is a tradition at my house and always enjoy watching sin city and Sansho sounds VERY promising

rauldc14 08-23-13 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 946939)
Wonderful Life is a tradition at my house and always enjoy watching sin city and Sansho sounds VERY promising
Yup. You really have to give Sansho a watch. I think it would be lower for me with more repeat viewings.

Miss Vicky 08-23-13 03:58 PM

100. The Lucky Ones
Haven't seen it.
99. National Treasure
Garbage. And I say that as someone who likes Nicolas Cage.
98. The Cider House Rules
I need to watch this. I need to watch more Michael Caine, period.
97. The General
I was really impressed with the stunts and liked the movie for that aspect of it, but overall didn't find it that entertaining.
96. Sin City
I hate this movie. I hate everything about this movie. I hated the performances, I hated the plot, I hated the stylized imagery.
95. Red Eye
I don't think I've seen this one, but my best friend loves Cillian Murphy so it's possible I may have seen it and forgotten it.
94. It's a Wonderful Life
Pure sap. Didn't hate it but didn't like it either.
93. Sansho the Bailiff
Haven't seen it.

Guaporense 08-23-13 04:20 PM

Sancho is a very slow movie but very powerful. I think that Ugetsu is superior by being shorter while being even more powerful, though I have heard some people say that Sancho is the greatest work of art of the 20th century. So yes, it can be a really powerful experience.

edarsenal 08-23-13 09:38 PM

sansho IS on youtube so i just might check that out this weekend, thanks, rauld!

rauldc14 08-24-13 03:04 PM

92. Click

http://www.popcornreel.com/jpgimg/CL...vd8_0046_r.jpg
I'm absolutely prepared for the hoard of negative comments of including this film in my top 100, just as I was the last time. Although last time, it was somewhere in the high 50's, this time I've got it in the 90's. It's a film that does well for me because of its repeatability factor and it really sends a Capra-esque message to me (ala It's a Wonderful Life), and it does well to blend comedy with some real life thoughtfulness (like Ben's wedding scene). Not to mention I actually don't mind Sandler in some roles (the stuff he's done since this film has been pretty much garbage though mind you). All in all it's a fun film for me, and I'll take the beating for liking it as so.

91. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7UEZnDsuFt...chEastwood.jpg

This is where the western all started, in my opinion (ok, there's one other place where I think it started, that I'll get to later in my countdown thread). One of the biggest reasons that I enjoy this film should come as no surprise since I am a huge Eastwood fan. The score, the pace of the film, and the acting are all above par in my opinion. And of course one of the more epic endings to any film that I have ever watched thus far. It set the pace for future Eastwood movies and really gave a jumpstart to the genre.

90. 12 Angry Men

http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Fo...%20Men)_01.jpg

The premise is simple. 12 jurors are in a room debating whether or not an 18 year old kid is guilty of stabbing his father to death. It starts with one juror (Henry Fonda) believing that the boy is not guilty, and even that is due to the fact that he just believes there needs to be some discussion on the subject matter. Without delving into too much of the details, we are put into the literal scene of the discussion, where the whole film takes place in the same exact room. And for a film to be that powerful and suspenseful by only taking place in one setting truly tells you that a lot of credit needs to be given to Sidney Lumet. Aside from Henry Fonda, whom is juror number 8 and is my favorite by default, I also enjoyed the performances from juror 5 (Jack Klugman) and juror 10 (Ed Begley), though literally all of them did an outstanding job. An absolute home run of a film from Lumet.

89. Man of Steel

http://static2.businessinsider.com/i...n-of-steel.jpg
Finally! A victory from the Superman franchise. Really the only film that I have enjoyed from this year would be this one, and it is one that I am really looking forward to having in my DVD collection. First and foremost, the cast is outstanding, namely Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams (yes, becoming a bigger fan of her day by day, film by film). The three of them were the main reason that I thought that I would enjoy the film in the first place. The action and the cinematography of the film are also top notch, there's many scenes that are just absolutely astonishing in my opinion. Couple this with the fact that I indeed have become quite a bit fan of superhero films, this is a film that I couldn't not include in my top 100.

edarsenal 08-24-13 05:03 PM

major reps for Good, Bad & Ugly and 12 Angry Men. Really great, memorable films that have had a lot of impact on their genres.
I think I've only skimmed over Click and I have yet to see Man of Steel (bit of on the fence on that one) I've heard very strong opinions going either way from folks here so only time will tell if I do or don't

Intriguing list so far ;)

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-24-13 05:05 PM

Click is really underrated, and is probably a top 40 film for me, and 12 Angry Men is great, obviously. I didn't care for Man of Steel, though.

donniedarko 08-24-13 05:10 PM

Click I remember finding it decent at best, I believe gave it a
, maybe it deserves higher because the scene where his dad comes into his office or sow thing like that truly did have an effect on me. I remember that more than any of the comedy. 12 Angry Men is an azming film with a great script, :up:

Shocked to see Man Of Steel, haven't seen it, but I agree 2013 is weak as hell so far. Haven't seen The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly either.

Daniel M 08-24-13 05:12 PM

I love The Good, the Bad and the Ugly which would be in my top 100 and 12 Angry Men is great too. Not a fan of Click really, and not seen Man of Steel.

Miss Vicky 08-24-13 05:17 PM

I thought Man of Steel was pretty awful. Haven't seen the others.

rauldc14 08-24-13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 948631)
Click is really underrated, and is probably a top 40 film for me, and 12 Angry Men is great, obviously. I didn't care for Man of Steel, though.
Wow. Honestly thought I was the only one that was a Click fan. Very surprised.

rauldc14 08-24-13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 948660)
I thought Man of Steel was pretty awful. Haven't seen the others.
I'd be curious as to why you think that.

rauldc14 08-24-13 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 948643)
Click I remember finding it decent at best, I believe gave it a
, maybe it deserves higher because the scene where his dad comes into his office or sow thing like that truly did have an effect on me. I remember that more than any of the comedy. 12 Angry Men is an azming film with a great script, :up:

Shocked to see Man Of Steel, haven't seen it, but I agree 2013 is weak as hell so far. Haven't seen The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly either.
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about that scene. That is one of the more heartbreaking scenes that I've seen. See to me, Click is a comedy with a heart because of it's thoughtfulness, farting at David Hasselhoff aside.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-24-13 07:09 PM

Click is honestly one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. That scene made me feel more emotional than almost any movie I've ever seen.

honeykid 08-24-13 08:13 PM

I can't believe there are more Click fans. That's not a good film. I mean, for Adam Sandler it is, but it's not actually a good film.

12 Angry Men, though. :up:

cricket 08-24-13 09:10 PM

2 great movies to go with 2 I haven't seen, but would give a shot.

Guaporense 08-24-13 09:19 PM

I liked Click very much, but I don't think it's a great movie either. It's a
movie, for Adam Sandler levels it's a masterpiece.

honeykid 08-24-13 10:30 PM

^^Wait, isn't that the same rating than you gave Fargo?^^ Cos that'd be ****ed up.

The Gunslinger45 08-24-13 10:33 PM

12 Angry Men and TGtBatU are great films! My distaste for Man of Steel is well known...

rauldc14 08-24-13 10:40 PM

I didn't know there was so much Man of Steel hate around here. Even more than Click itself.

Guaporense 08-24-13 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 949295)
^^Wait, isn't that the same rating than you gave Fargo?^^ Cos that'd be ****ed up.
Well, Click and Fargo are about equal to me.

Fargo thinks that it is smarter than Click, while Click is a far less original and creative film but it can be more effective in some ways. Click has a deeper layer of humanism than Fargo (easy, since the Coens can't write a human character even if their lives depended on it).

From your point of view my ratings for Braveheart and Fargo are much more f*cked up (
and
, respectively).

Daniel M 08-24-13 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 949359)
(easy, since the Coens can't write a human character even if their lives depended on it).
:facepalm:

Easy contender for worst comment of the year, you can't be serious Guapo?

The Gunslinger45 08-24-13 11:04 PM

Man of Steel is a very polarizing movie.

rauldc14 08-24-13 11:06 PM

Click and Fargo can not be compared. That's comparing apples to tomatoes

honeykid 08-24-13 11:26 PM

Well, Click and Fargo are about equal to me.

From your point of view my ratings for Braveheart and Fargo are much more f*cked up (
and
, respectively).
No, having Click and Fargo about equal is more ****ed up, IMO. True, I'd rather watch Click than Braveheart, but that's because I hate it, not because Click is better.

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 949383)
Click and Fargo can not be compared. That's comparing apples to tomatoes
Yes, but you know which you prefer the taste of, don't you? That's how you do it.

rauldc14 08-24-13 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 949419)
No, having Click and Fargo about equal is more ****ed up, IMO. True, I'd rather watch Click than Braveheart, but that's because I hate it, not because Click is better.

Yes, but you know which you prefer the taste of, don't you? That's how you do it.
Well, we will just have to see if and when and where Fargo is on this list.

Lucas 08-25-13 12:44 AM

Click isn't what I'd call a particularly good movie, but it really was very,very emotional in some scenes especially towards the end of the film. If anything it truly is a moderate success I must say. That scene where his dad walks into his office is a tear-jerker.

Guaporense 08-25-13 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 949369)
:facepalm:

Easy contender for worst comment of the year, you can't be serious Guapo?
I will not write more about the Coens in this forum, I see it's dangerous stuff.

honeykid 08-25-13 03:36 PM

No, Guap, you churn it out mate. :up:

Also, I'm now no longer sure that Braveheart is better than Click. I'd still rather watch Click, but was it really worse?

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-25-13 03:53 PM

Braveheart and Click are both
movies for me, with Braveheart being slightly better, I think. Fargo is a high
. I would debate why I don't love the movie, but anyone who doesn't love Fargo seems to get attacked on this forum.

Lucas 08-25-13 06:33 PM

^ I thought Fargo was okay but it wasn't particularly memorable in my eyes. I thought it was okay so your not the only one with that opinion.

Mr Minio 08-25-13 06:35 PM

^ That's exactly how I feel about it. A
movie.

jal90 08-25-13 06:48 PM

(easy, since the Coens can't write a human character even if their lives depended on it)
I'll be brief: watch The man who wasn't there. If you still hold this opinion after this movie then there's nothing else I can do.

rauldc14 08-27-13 11:08 PM

88. Apocalypse Now

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-...pse-now_01.jpg

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. And I love this movie too, as it is ranks right up there as one of the better war films that I have seen. YES, I do like this Coppola film even better than The Godfather. The true gem in the film is the acting in itself, led by stalwart performances by Martin Sheen, Robert Duval, and of course, the great Marlon Brando. It's a true must watch for anybody.

87. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l91plmFN3p1qbhsbe.jpg

My favorite silent film of all time, and well deserving of its "shared best picture" oscar. I love everything about the movie. Murnau made the film so that it could be an ageless watch as even though it's a silent film, it still doesn't feel that dated. You can feel the raw emotion from the actors as well, particularly with Janet Gaynor. The whole concept itself is very original. I should really look into more Murnau films. I always get chills at the part of: "what if she could be drown?". Again, a must watch even if you aren't a huge fan of the silents.

86. Disturbia

http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content...eriorscene.jpg

AKA the rip-off of Rear Window. But honestly, I absolutely love everything that the film did, beginning with the very powerful beginning for me with Kale going on his fishing trip with his dad. You somewhat truly feel for what the character is going through with that first bit of action. Being a huge fan of Rear Window, I could have been made that the concept wasn't original, but I thought it brought a lot of fun to the table, with characters like Ashley, Ronnie, and the creepy Mr. Turner. To me, just pure fun and entertainment if you are looking for a easy and adventure filled movie night.

85. Stalag 17

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SPYL8UC1UC...+17+(1953).jpg

I have yet to see a Billy Wilder film that has disappointed me, and actually I think I've seen about 8 of them now. This one has a different feel to it, but it's absolutely brilliant. Brilliant acting all around, it has some very funny parts to it, and it is a movie that immediately when I saw it for the first time knew it would become a classic favorite of mine. Great to see William Holden get an oscar for his portrayal of J.J. Sefton. Also loved the performances of Animal and Shapiro.

honeykid 08-27-13 11:20 PM

+ rep for everything but Disturbia, which I haven't seen. :up: Nothing there that I really love, but it's good stuff nonetheless.

Cobpyth 08-27-13 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 949513)
I will not write more about the Coens in this forum, I see it's dangerous stuff.
Maybe you should see some of their films before commenting on them. That would be wiser. ;)

Great new set, Raul!

donniedarko 08-28-13 01:59 AM

Apocalypse Now is in my top ten so obviously I love that. But I'm more focused by Disturbia since I also find it highly underrated. I already knew that you like it, but it always makes me happy when it appears on a list, :highfive: haven't seen the others

Gabrielle947 08-28-13 03:37 AM

More and more Disturbia fans!The movie so mainstream and the love story is pathetic yet it's still a very interesting film.I like that you never know if Mr. Turner is truly a villain until the end.Because I was kind of convinced that the kids are paranoid. :D

I also love Apocalypse Now and I want to see Stalag 17.

rauldc14 08-30-13 10:53 PM

84. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

http://blog.grovo.com/wp-content/upl...05/connor1.jpg

A one of a kind film of it's genre. It's the movie that rather makes me believe in the talent that Cameron has, as this is easily his best film for me. And say what you want, but I do believe Arnold played the role perfectly. Not in an oscar sort of way, but he did everything that he needed to make the film awesome. A film that should have made my 90s ballot as well, but I kind of had just plain forgotten about it. Oh, and my favorite part is the classic Arnold one liners, such as "Hasta la vista, baby!"

83. Jackie Brown

https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.ne...ie-brown-5.jpg

For the record, I just saw this movie maybe about 3 weeks ago, and it debuts here upon first watch. It was a really really good movie, right now easily my favorite from Tarantino. So many great performances from the cast- Samuel L. Jackson, Pam Grier, Robert De Niro, Bridget Fonda, and especially Robert Forster, who had the best performance of them all. I loved the plot of the film--the film kept you on its toes the entire time, as we weren't really sure of who to root for right away. It was interesting to see how all the characters connected to each other, and in a way how each of them played into each other's fates. I liked the whole setup of the movie. So thank you to SC for he was the one whom I had initially gotten the recommendation off of. Oh, and I really liked near the end how we got to see how it all played out from each of the characters perspectives, something truly unique and creative. Something about the movie is badass, but not an over-the-top badass like some movies that just try to be badass without actually having a real concept (which is sometimes what movies like Pulp Fiction seem like to me).

82. Fargo

http://moviereviewworld.com/wp-conte...3/08/fargo.jpg

A classic from the Coen's. Let me start by saying that Frances McDormand put on a hell of a performance for this movie, one that merited her oscar. These types of movies aren't necessarily my cup of tea, but the Coen's did a great job of blending comedy with a great story. The music provided a great background to a great story and the rest of the acting held up very well IMO. A definite Coen Brothers classic. My favorite scene can be described in one word: woodchipper.

81. Casino

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/XsFilm...CasinoAce1.jpg

First of all, the Vegas feel of the movie is probably a big reason why I enjoy the movie so much. This movie is based on DeNiro's character being a complete boss at the fictional Tangiers Casino in Las Vegas. But let's be realistic--these are some very excellent performances within this movie. The best is probably Sharon Stone herself, who plays her role to a T. Joe Peschi also puts on a performance that is nearly up to the standards of his most superior role in Goodfellas. And when do we ever see Robert DeNiro fail to live up to the billing? He was excellent. And of the performances combined with the great writing and the directing of Martin Scorcese has brought us what I consider to be one of Scorcese's absolute masterpieces, and a movie that is often overlooked when it comes to his finer films. Like many have said before, this is a very long movie, but it really doesn't feel like that at all. A total and complete film, from start to finish. I wish we could have seen Sharon Stone in more roles like this, and it would have been nice to see Peschi and Scorsese work together again, as it just always seems to work out so brilliantly.

Daniel M 08-30-13 10:57 PM

I absolutely love Jackie Brown and Fargo. Terminator 2 is good, and I haven't seen Casino, although I suspect I'd like it. Good set.

teeter_g 08-30-13 11:02 PM

I'm with you on a few of these.
National Treasure

Red Eye

12 Angry Men

Man of Steel

Disturbia

Terminator 2

cricket 08-30-13 11:05 PM

Those last 4 are all favorites of mine.

Cobpyth 08-30-13 11:26 PM

Terminator 2 is ok, but not a favorite of mine.

Jackie Brown is very good.

Fargo is brilliant.

Casino is wonderfully stylish and, while flawed, a very fascinating film experience. It's no Goodfellas, though.

honeykid 08-30-13 11:51 PM

Good. Very good. :) Four films I actually like.

donniedarko 08-31-13 01:23 AM

The only film I've seen from that very 90s set is Fargo which I enjoyed, the rest I really should get to

rauldc14 08-31-13 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 953724)
Good. Very good. :) Four films I actually like.
It's a miracle! Lol

HitchFan97 08-31-13 11:24 AM

Casino and Jackie Brown are great, and I like Terminator 2 as well. Haven't seen Fargo.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-31-13 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 953996)
The only film I've seen from that very 90s set is Fargo which I enjoyed, the rest I really should get to
This

honeykid 08-31-13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 954015)
It's a miracle! Lol
I know. :D I'm sure you're just setting me up and the next four will all be stuff I really hate.

rauldc14 08-31-13 11:20 PM

80. The Bridge on the River Kwai

http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.g...city_still.jpg

Absolute classic acting with an absolute great storyline. Between William Holden and Alec Guinness, we see two of the more powerful acting performances of the 1950's. One of my favorite 'war' movies of all-time, there's just something about the way that David Lean tells the story that makes it very intriguing to me. Or perhaps it's just that catchy whistling song. Or maybe it's just that ending that has us all on our toes and is one of the better endings in all of film. Either way an absolute classic that truly is a must see.

79. The Best Years of Our Lives

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...rsOurLives.jpg

Another of my favorite 'war' movies, and I'm quite shocked to see the number of people at this forum that either a). haven't seen the film or b). aren't that thrilled by it. But it truly gives us a great depiction of what times were like during the very tough world war 2. I love everything about this movie-- especially the acting. Perhaps my favorite part is that played by Harold Russell, whom plays someone who is somewhat handicapped but doesn't want to be realized as anything but a normal human being, who is capable of doing everything for himself. And of course, we see that isn't always the case. Of course Fredric March is also absolutely fantastic and he won an oscar himself. And I can't go without talking about the brilliant direction of William Wyler. Once again, another film that is a complete one to me, with the only nick being it's very long run time, though it really doesn't feel that way to me. So many emotional moments in the film, like when we see them all come back home. A recommended classic.

78. Barton Fink

http://www.kevinmacdonald.net/bf1.png

Another one of my 90's movies entries. One of my favorite black comedies of all time. I absolutely love the performances of John Turturro and John Goodman. My favorite part of the film is that we initially have no clue with how the whole movie will play out, and we really don't know just how much of a wacko the character played by Goodman is. Of course we know he's a "madman". It's the concept of the film that is unique to me. It's a story different that from what we are seeing, and it really does work. Another Coen masterpiece.

77. Jumper

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ensenNov06.jpg

Yet another that nobody on this planet but me loves. But here's my reasoning behind it. It is a movie that truly doesn't get old to me. It packs a punch and within its short runtime, there really is quite a lot that is going on. I love the villanous role played by none other than Samuel L. Jackson. I'm also very intrigued by what the main actor (Hayden Christensen) is able to do by "jumping" from place to place. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the concept was one of great originality. It's short runtime also gives me a chance to watch it whenever I'm in a bind for time, which happens more and more these days. Yes, I'm probably overrating it but that doesn't negate the fact that I think it is a very fun film, and I really don't think it was poorly executed at all. And how I oh so wish Rachel Bilson was in more films that were actually watchable.

honeykid 09-01-13 12:25 AM

Hey, that ain't bad, Raul. It must be the next set, then. ;)

rauldc14 09-01-13 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 954591)
Hey, that ain't bad, Raul. It must be the next set, then. ;)
I could see you not like the next set potentially. But we will see. I thought you would like Fink though.

rauldc14 09-01-13 12:40 AM

When we consider my top 100 from 3 and a half years ago had Harold and Kumar, I Am Legend, The Great Debaters, and 300, I think it's safe to say I upgraded.

donniedarko 09-01-13 12:53 AM

Big +rep for Barton Fink, it made my 90s list to, just a great black comedy. I might have seen Jumper but I don't remember. I know I haven't seen the other two

The Gunslinger45 09-01-13 01:04 AM

Was not a fan of The Bridge on the River Kwai, but The Best Days of Our Lives is a beautiful film!

Gabrielle947 09-01-13 03:04 AM

^ same :D

rauldc14 09-02-13 11:36 PM

76. Heat

http://static.rogerebert.com/redacto...ino_deniro.jpg

Sure the movie is long as all hell. But the action within the movie truly packs a punch, especially the extended ending scene where DeNiro and Pacino give us a truly memorable ending to the film. This film makes me want to watch more Michael Mann films, as he really has shown me how great a director he can be. From start to finish a film that gives us a great storyline and plot to follow.

I was going to post 4, but naturally I got a Database error as I was finishing and am too lazy to post all 4 at the current moment.

cricket 09-02-13 11:40 PM

I love Heat, but it always leaves me wanting something more. I feel like it should've been even better.