Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24626)

cheaptoad 01-05-11 07:24 PM

I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

When I say new I mean new to me.

It seems I'm running out of good/interesting movies to rent on Netflix. So I come here asking for your help.

I'm looking for off beat recommendations for the following genres

Action-adventure
Sci-fi/fantasy
Thillers
Psychological

Feel free to combine any of these together

While these are my most favorite genres I do like all others save for chick flicks, all others are good (horror, not so much)

For the most part assume I've seen most of the good ones in each area.

Thanx from a noob in this forums

CT

genesis_pig 01-05-11 07:43 PM

Re: I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

Action-adventure
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Excalibur

Sci-fi/fantasy
A Boy & His Dog
Alphaville: Une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
Gattaca
eXistenZ
Dune

Thillers
Frailty

cheaptoad 01-05-11 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 706303)
Action-adventure
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Excalibur

Sci-fi/fantasy
A Boy & His Dog
Alphaville: Une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
Gattaca
eXistenZ
Dune

Thillers
Frailty

Th eones in red I've seen, the others no.

Thanx

Good start

argh.pirate 01-05-11 07:56 PM

A good cheesy sci-fi- action movie available on Netflix (not Instant Play) is Robot Jox. I used to watch it all the time on USA back in the early 90's. Willow was a good off beat fantasy and long the same lines would be the Ewok movies, The Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. Of course they aren't Star Wars but for sci-fi they're fun. As for thrillers, do you like Hitchcock style thrillers or newer stuff? If you haven't tried any, Dial M for Murder will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.

genesis_pig 01-05-11 07:59 PM

I love RobotJox, it also had a sort of sequel called RoboWarrior.

Willow is a favourite of many here, including me.

argh.pirate 01-05-11 08:02 PM

Robot Wars: Robot Jox 2. Never seen it because it's not on DVD and the VHS is kind of expensive. That reminds me, I've never seen it but I've heard The Ice Pirates is good.

MadMikeyD 01-05-11 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 706313)
Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.
Do you mean Hitchcock's Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart? Or The Secret Window with Johnny Depp? I liked them both, but they're quite different.

argh.pirate 01-05-11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 706317)
Do you mean Hitchcock's Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart? Or The Secret Window with Johnny Depp? I liked them both, but they're quite different.
Oh wow I can not believe I did that. Definitely meant Rear Window... I'm ashamed of myself. I was actually thinking of mentioning how bad the Shia LaBeouf ripoff is, Disturbia or something like that.

linespalsy 01-05-11 08:52 PM

okay, i'm using these genres kind of loosely, but here are some recommendations.

thriller:
femme fatale
deep red
naked killer
vertigo
time and tide

sci-fi:
la jetee
twelve monkeys
the fly
akira
paprika
the prestige

fantasy:
kwaidan
zu: warriors of the magic mountain (1983)
the tempest (2010)
adventures of robin hood

Holden Pike 01-05-11 09:34 PM

Boy oh boy! It's the try and guess which movies a total stranger has or hasn't seen game. Sounds like fun, but I'll sit out this round.

Sexy Celebrity 01-05-11 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 706355)
Boy oh boy! It's the try and guess which movies a total stranger has or hasn't seen game. Sounds like fun, but I'll sit out this round.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/o_vjed5tonA/0.jpg

A shame because Betty White's playing this week.

Tyler1 01-05-11 10:52 PM

Sci-fi

Dune
Alphaville

Action

Mad Max: the road warrior

Psychological

Repulsion (highly recommended)
Come And See (highly recommended)

cheaptoad 01-05-11 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 706313)
A good cheesy sci-fi- action movie available on Netflix (not Instant Play) is Robot Jox. I used to watch it all the time on USA back in the early 90's. Willow was a good off beat fantasy and long the same lines would be the Ewok movies, The Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. Of course they aren't Star Wars but for sci-fi they're fun. As for thrillers, do you like Hitchcock style thrillers or newer stuff? If you haven't tried any, Dial M for Murder will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Also, Secret Window and Rope are suspenseful / thrilling.

Nice, I have only seen 1 of these.

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 706318)
Oh wow I can not believe I did that. Definitely meant Rear Window... I'm ashamed of myself. I was actually thinking of mentioning how bad the Shia LaBeouf ripoff is, Disturbia or something like that.

Seen it a few times. Love it and Grace Kelly

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 706355)

So far, I haven't seen most you're all naming.

argh.pirate 01-05-11 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by cheaptoad (Post 706376)
Seen it a few times. Love it and Grace Kelly
Yeah Grace Kelly is my absolute favorite actress of all time with Audrey Hepburn a very close second. And Jimmy Stewart happens to be my favorite actor of all time but Rear Window still isn't my fav movie of all time. I do love it and it's one of my top 20 for sure. But Dial M is my favorite Grace Kelly and Harvey is my favorite Jimmy Stewart, gets me every time. I wish we all had a little Elwood P. Dowd in us.

Movie Buff3266 01-06-11 12:24 AM

If you don't mind forigen films, you should check out the Hong Kong film Vengence.

cheaptoad 01-07-11 06:04 PM

Thanx I will look into all of these. Feel free to add more.

I'm surprised some of my weird movies aren't on your lists

Delicatessen
Naked Lunch - prob the strangest movie of all time IMO
Run Lola Run
Kafka - not available on netflix

I forgot to mention- I love apocalyptic movies and not the ones that turn out with a happy ending.

nebbit 01-07-11 10:03 PM

Watch some Australian movies :yup:

genesis_pig 01-07-11 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by cheaptoad (Post 706763)
I forgot to mention- I love apocalyptic movies and not the ones that turn out with a happy ending.
Stalker

genesis_pig 01-08-11 12:11 AM

Le Dernier Combat
Damnation Alley
Death Race 2000 (The original one)
Blood of the Heroes (starring Rutger Hauer)
Soylent Green
28 Days Later
Children of Men
Six String Samurai
The Road
Glen & Randa

dargofargo 01-08-11 03:13 PM

Machete is a great movie

Starturtle 01-08-11 03:42 PM

I watched an action/martial arts movie last night which was very good called Ip Man under the Foreign section which usuaully isn't my genre. However, this had amazing choreography and was shot in a great time period in the 30's and 40's when the Japanese occupied China.

argh.pirate 01-09-11 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Starturtle (Post 706883)
I watched an action/martial arts movie last night which was very good called Ip Man under the Foreign section which usuaully isn't my genre. However, this had amazing choreography and was shot in a great time period in the 30's and 40's when the Japanese occupied China.
Even though he's banned, Ip Man is a good movie. I'm very curious about the sequel that China already has.

cheaptoad 01-14-11 07:32 PM

Thanx these are all on my Netflix Que

ScaryGerry 01-14-11 07:32 PM

El Mariachi Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico)

In my opinion, it's one of the most underrated trilogies in modern film. If you're a fan of Robert Rodriguez and you haven't seen them, please do yourself a favor and give em a watch. All of them actually just came out on Blu-ray

cheaptoad 01-14-11 07:34 PM

Was Banderas actually good in those?

Jenaaay 01-16-11 05:47 PM

The El Mariachi trilogy was definitely worth seeing. Very underrated, and the acting was phenomenal. Banderas accurately portrays a "killer" with a moral conscience and a need for revenge that is turned upside down with the representation of his inner self. Salma Hayak, in Desperado, is a gorgeous counterpart. Highly recommend.

Brick Bardo 01-17-11 06:43 PM

Check out Fight Club, American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange. I'd say they're pretty off-beat.

Also the japanese horror film Audition.

argh.pirate 01-18-11 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brick Bardo (Post 709009)
Check out Fight Club, American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange. I'd say they're pretty off-beat.

Also the japanese horror film Audition.
If you want off-beat that's also not good, go with these. Or if you want to feel artsy and fit in with the "film" crowd.

Brick Bardo 01-18-11 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 709102)
If you want off-beat that's also not good, go with these. Or if you want to feel artsy and fit in with the "film" crowd.
Wow a cheap shot.

The film crowd? Sure they're a little artsy but I'd say they're mainstream movies, I'm not going obscure or anything.

argh.pirate 01-18-11 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brick Bardo (Post 709178)
Wow a cheap shot.

The film crowd? Sure they're a little artsy but I'd say they're mainstream movies, I'm not going obscure or anything.
It's not a cheap shot, if it weren't for the film crowd you wouldn't hear about those movies anymore that's just a fact. Highly overrated and dependent on the controversy. I'm still amazed that people's minds are blown by the twist in Fight Club.

genesis_pig 01-18-11 07:22 PM

I don't think I care about the twist ending in Fight Club, the whole execution of the film is entertaining. Tyler Durden is a very interesting character & has lots of memorable quotes.

The movies has all the essential elements to make it a cult hit, I wouldn't have cared if the ending showed Tyler as a Terminator from the future. The movie would have still been good.

honeykid 01-18-11 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 709271)
It's not a cheap shot, if it weren't for the film crowd you wouldn't hear about those movies anymore that's just a fact. Highly overrated and dependent on the controversy. I'm still amazed that people's minds are blown by the twist in Fight Club.
I completely disagree about Fight Club. That's a film that found its audience on video/dvd in spite of the critics and the general cinema going audience (who didn't go because it wasn't well/extensively advertised and only recieved mixed reviews) and found a life of its own afterwards from word of mouth. In the same way that The Shawshank Redemption did or most foreign (language) films have to.)

*I'm assuming that "the film crowd" are people somewhere between a bit more of a film fan than you and those pretentious, arty types that coo over weird looking paintings in art galleries, yes?*

My feelings about the film probably fall somewhere between those who love it and, what I suspect are, your own. Surprisingly, given the source, I feel pretty similar as this guy.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...102483,00.html

Considering that Kubrick himself banned A Clockwork Orange from being shown in my country, my opinion of how the film is/would be remember here is a little skewed to say the least. :D

Brick Bardo 01-18-11 11:01 PM

I knew the twist in Fight Club and still enjoyed it. Why are people so uptight about movies? You either like it or you don't.

ScaryGerry 01-20-11 03:30 PM

Animal Kingdom. This is the best Crime Drama I have seen in a while. A female character in power (Jacki Weaver's character) definitely offers a different dynamic from the more typical crime family. Such great character development too. Very impressed with David Michôd in his feature film debut. It would be tough for Jacki Weaver to win an Oscar for this role given her opposition, but I hope she at least gets the nomination, as she did at the Golden Globes.

Justified, the first season. Sort of a contemporary cowboy action series. Originally aired on FX. As far as I know, they're signed on for second season. It's Adapted from Elmore Leonard's stories Pronto, Riding the Rap, & Fire in the Hole. Timothy Olyphant is great as Raylan Givens. Gotta love the no ******** approach to justice.

Virginity Hit. I originally found out about this movie from some posters on the subway advertising a "hotline for virgins." That makes me sound really cool. Anyways, long story short, I think this movie is hilarious. Reviews were not great, but you have to keep in mind what you're dealing with: a teenage sex comedy. It's not supposed to win Oscars, it's supposed to be stupid and hilarious - which it is. Produced by Will Ferrell and Adam Mckay. Also has an AMAZING cameo by Rock N Roll GREAT and former Creed frontman Scott Stapp. I **** you not.

shnooky 01-21-11 03:21 PM

machete is like kill bill only with a guy instead of a girl...lol

argh.pirate 01-25-11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 709296)
*I'm assuming that "the film crowd" are people somewhere between a bit more of a film fan than you and those pretentious, arty types that coo over weird looking paintings in art galleries, yes?*
Um, no, I don't know what you mean by "more of a film fan" than me because I love movies. I solely mean those pretentious artsy douches. And it has nothing to do with critics at all. If anything it's the opposite, it's people that like movies because "the internet" tells them it's cool. Tyler Durden is annoying and the equivalent of todays Ed Hardy wearing, UFC watching crowd. In other words, not cool.

shnooky 01-25-11 03:48 PM

Girl With A Dragon Tattoo is a lot better then i thought it would be, good mystery and action movie.

honeykid 01-25-11 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by argh.pirate (Post 710816)
Um, no, I don't know what you mean by "more of a film fan" than me because I love movies. I solely mean those pretentious artsy douches. And it has nothing to do with critics at all. If anything it's the opposite, it's people that like movies because "the internet" tells them it's cool. Tyler Durden is annoying and the equivalent of todays Ed Hardy wearing, UFC watching crowd. In other words, not cool.
So now "the film crowd" are what? People who watch films but aren't into film? I'm not trying to be obtuse. I genuinely don't understand who we're talking about and my understanding of who it is seems to've swung from one extreme to another with your latest explaination.

MadMikeyD 01-25-11 07:55 PM

The way I'm understanding it, "The Film Crowd" would be people who only watch the movies other people say are "the best movie ever." Rather than having their opinions influenced by critics, their opinions are influenced by people on message boards, such as these. So really, "The Movie Crowd" are not movie lovers, but people who want to be thought of as "cool," so they make sure to like the "cool" movies.

ScaryGerry 01-27-11 03:05 PM

Nowhere Boy. The John Lennon biopic by Sam Taylor-Wood starring Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass) and Kristin Scott Thomas. Very cool look at the early life of John Lennon and his struggles with teenage angst. A great idea for a film - very well acted and directed. Looking forward to seeing more from both Taylor-Wood and Aaron Johnson after watching this film.

Red Hill. I really enjoy Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood and I have been very interested to see him in another role outside of that character. Here was my opportunity. He did not disappoint with his performance. In fact I'd say he steals the show. As Capone from AICN said "Kwanten is utterly badass." Don't let the fact that this is not a well know film fool you, it's an excellent suspense/thriller.

ScaryGerry 01-28-11 03:57 PM

Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

I would advise everyone to see Enter The Void.

Here's a clip from the film I came across. Gives you a little taste of what I'm talking about (with the visuals)

http://on.fb.me/EntertheVoid

Sedai 01-28-11 04:24 PM

^^^That clip was pants - get that clown's head out of the shot.

ScaryGerry 01-31-11 01:53 AM

I thought Alexandre Aja did an amazing job with Piranha 3D. I had high expectations for him after The Hills Have Eyes. He did not disappoint. Totally worth the purchase in my opinion, esp for Aja fans, such as myself. Pick it up in Blu-ray 3D if you can - totally enhances the experience. Awesome, awesome film.

Red Band Trailer attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAHzt-SAHY

PNewman92 01-31-11 12:12 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention Dark City. It's a weird little Sci Fi movie that's worth the time, I think.

Same director as Knowing - Alex Proyas - which I also thought was worth the time, despite all the general Nicolas Cage backlash. Then again, I have a soft spot for both Good Cage (Adaptation, Raising Arizona) and Campy Cage.

Sedai 01-31-11 01:02 PM

Knowing fell just a bit short for me, mostly in the scripting. Proyas handled the stark visual style really well, and a few of the scenes were quite memorable (the crash, the scene with the animals running out of the forest). Still, some of the scripting was abysmal.

As for Dark City, make sure to watch the Director's Cut instead of the theatrical release - it's a tighter film.

ScaryGerry 02-01-11 08:12 PM

"A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop" - Chinese remake of the Coen brothers' 1985 film Blood Simple. Cool perspective on the original story. Major components aren't different, but the director made a few tweaks to fulfill his vision of the story. Definitely recommend giving it a watch, esp if you're a Coen Bros fan.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6558126_n.jpg

"Welcome to the Rileys" - I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The cast is awesome- James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo are always on point. Cool to see Melissa in a performance pre The Fighter. Some people like to hate on Kristen Stewart. I get that, I'm not a Twilight fan either. If you can put that aside, I think you'll like her in the film. I thought she did a great job.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8_472907_n.jpg

Blink 02-02-11 01:29 PM

Off the top of my head;

Hard Candy - I loved this film - Ellen Paige is fantastic and supercharges her career in this - make sure you listen to the commentaries afterwards as well - it's amazing how they made this low budget masterpiece.

The Station Agent - just liked it!

10 Till Noon - inspired little gem.

avp 02-03-11 11:02 AM

Monsters! I just saw it and I thought it was fantastic! Not sure when it's coming out in your area but look it up:

It totally falls under your category of films your looking to check out. sci-fi, thriller, etc. Just a heads up it's kind of more of a love story than it is a scary monster flick but it's a really well written and well acted dysfunctional romance set in the backdrop of an area in Mexico quarantined because of an alien invasion.

Highly, highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, amazing!

ScaryGerry 02-09-11 08:09 PM

Tamara Drewe - The film is a rather witty British comedy on love and sex. The title character Tamara Drewe is played by the very beautiful Gemma Arterton. Not many other notable appearances, but all of the characters are hilarious - especially the two teenage girls. The film is based on a comic strip/graphic novel by the same title. That comic strip was regarded as a modern reworking on Thomas Hardy's novel "Far from the Madding Crowd."

Didn't really have any expectations going into it and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QMuDihPPyP...mara+Drewe.jpg

argh.pirate 02-15-11 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by avp (Post 712699)
Monsters! I just saw it and I thought it was fantastic! Not sure when it's coming out in your area but look it up:

It totally falls under your category of films your looking to check out. sci-fi, thriller, etc. Just a heads up it's kind of more of a love story than it is a scary monster flick but it's a really well written and well acted dysfunctional romance set in the backdrop of an area in Mexico quarantined because of an alien invasion.

Highly, highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, amazing!
Monsters was a HUGE disappointment. I was so pumped when the director mentioned Jurassic Park as an inspiration for the computer generated effects but then his movie looks just like all the crap that he was supposedly trying to avoid. Of course it's an accomplishment when any small crew on a small budget gets a movie made but that's not reason enough to see it. It was just lame and had no substance. Maybe the artsy types would like it for some underlying meaning that really isn't there but for people that like entertainment, it's not good.

ScaryGerry 02-25-11 04:52 PM

Faster

I found this film to be really entertaining. It is what it is - a meat and potatoes action film. That said, there are also some effective twists in the plot that make it better than most from this genre of action film. I very much enjoyed Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" in the lead role. He plays the badass role really well. Maybe it's the fact that he can actually kick my butt in real life. The rest of the cast is pretty good too. I never would have expected to see BIlly Bob Thornton in a film with The Rock, but it worked. Billy Bob is also very good. I would recommend this film to any action fan or any viewer who is looking for some raw entertainment (aka gun fights and $h*t blowing up).

http://www.flicksandbits.com/wp-cont...ne-johnson.jpg

Get Low

Robert Duvall and BIll Murray - need I say more? Both of these guys are among my favorite actors of all time, so it was given that I would enjoy the film. Bill Murray has a unique way of blending comedy with drama. In Get Low he displays that ability quite nicely. The acting is phenomenal across the board. Lucas Black's performance is another one that stands out, aside from Murray and Duvall. Film is also very beautifully shot. I read that this was director Aaron Schneider's first film. He did an excellent job.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...7f11970b-500wi

Plainview 02-25-11 06:13 PM

[quote=ScaryGerry;711576]Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

I hope I am not the only one who was bored with this film. I might have a different opinion if it was shorter and had less flashing lights. I honestly thought I was going to have seizure's.

HollyG 02-25-11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScaryGerry (Post 711576)
Enter the Void - Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

Here's a clip from the film I came across. Gives you a little taste of what I'm talking about (with the visuals)
I so Agree with you Scary. I know that this film is not for everybody and its a little to long, but i personally loved it. I think my favorite thing about this film is it's opening credits,they were defintaly creative. The one thing that i love about Gasper Noe that he dose not leave out anything even if its gory or shocking he tells his story and i respect that .
If you like this movie check out Seul Contre Tous (1998) its my favorite movie that gasper has done to date.

tonto 03-22-11 12:16 AM

Moon (2009) - one of the best Sci Fi films no one has heard of
Red Baron (2009) really good war movie
Gomorroh - a very stark gangland movie in Italy
Hidalgo - think Seabiscuit in a duration race in Arabia

ScaryGerry 03-22-11 03:54 PM

S.W.A.T. Firefight.

This was a great follow up to the 2003 film. It doesn't have the star power of the first, but I thought the cast did a great job nonetheless. The one very recognizable face in the film is Robert Patrick, who plays the villain. I've always thought highly of him in the villain role - esp. after Terminator 2. I also thought it was great that they filmed in Detroit. I'm happy to see Detroit getting some love from Hollywood. Very solid action film. The training sequences were especially cool.

http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/23538...Fire-Fight.jpg

zeedeevil 03-22-11 06:43 PM

I went through my list of favorites and picked some films that I believe fit into the kind you're looking for.

action-adventure
The Great Escape (with " the king of cool" Steve McQueen)
Stand By Me

sci-fi/fantasy

The Quiet Earth
The Fall
Sunshine (a very underrated sci-fi by Danny Boyle)
Videodrome
Gattaca

psychological
Following
Memento
Funny Games (the original, from 1997)
The Game

thriller
Manhunter
Tesis
(by spanish director Alejandro Amenábar)
Misery

chipper 03-24-11 02:12 AM

Paradise Now
Tsotsi
Amoressperros
C.R.A.Z.Y.
Central Station
Children of Heaven
Memento
Old Boy
Tea with Mussolini

ScaryGerry 03-24-11 05:31 PM

How Do You Know
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/rel...owenwilson.jpg
I didn't know much about this film before watching it. Needless to say, I was surprise to see multiple all-star cast members associated with it: Jack Nicholson, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon. Not to mention, it was directed and written by James L. Brooks. A thoroughly entertaining comedy. I just find it entertaining to see several of my fav actors on screen at once, as they are in this film. Totally worth the watch. Has some really hilarious moments; you're bound to when you you have Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson on screen together.

Stand By Me
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/image-l...me-blu-ray.jpg
"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" - One of my favorite films of all time. Especially near and dear to me because it's a film from my childhood. I just picked up the bluray. In my opinion, it should be a required film for anyone's collection. Such an interesting cast, way before anyone knew who they were.

The Tourist
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_z58KxB4fEC...he+Tourist.jpg
This film has such a classy feel to it. So much elegance and luxury visually, topped off by two of the biggest stars hollywood has to offer. It's just cool to watch them interact on screen together - and in Venice of all places! I particularly enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance. I think he really nailed the role of the seemingly-genius idiot, as contradictory as that description sounds. The tackles a little bit of all genres Drama/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense, etc which makes it pretty unique.

chipper 03-25-11 03:01 PM

oh... the tourist was painful to watch... painfully bad

ScaryGerry 03-30-11 06:01 PM

Made in Dagenham

The film is based on a true story of the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968. The strike was huge for female laborers worldwide and led to the Equal Pay Act of 1970 (or so says wiki). Made in Dagenham dramatically depicts the events surrounding that strike. The lead role is played by Sally Hawkins, who is awesome in the film. Very, very funny. She plays Rita who unwittingly ends up in the forefront of this strike. As you can imagine, Ford gets pissed about the strike and drama ensues. I won't say much more, except that the supporting cast is also great. Albert Passingham and Miranda Richardson play memorable supporting roles in the film. Very uplifting. Not exactly the chick flick that I expected before watching. Definitely recommend Made in Dagenham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/images...enham_main.jpg

TentativePoke 04-02-11 04:46 AM

New movie to rent? Direct-to-DVD (to my knowledge) and wasn't really advertised too much, but still a fantastic, and underrated comedy-drama. The Joneses. Go rent.

Holden Pike 04-02-11 05:03 AM

The Joneses was most definitely released theatrically (I paid to see it). Not that it made much money, but it was not straight to video.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EejVvS4mn0&t=1

And it's a decent enough flick.

chipper 04-19-11 03:26 AM

Here are some new ones I just checked out:

Mysterious Skin
Jesus Camp
Half Nelson
No End in Sight
Afterschool
Following dir. C. Nolan
Mutual Appreciation
Crush

Watts 04-21-11 09:23 PM

Check out Blue Valentine with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. You will really enjoy it.

rawr420 04-28-11 11:05 AM

wathc the mist and the book of elie

TheEpicEffect 04-29-11 01:41 AM

Alright. I am late in the games, so I apologize if I accidentally repeat.

Action-adventure
Harry Brown
District B-13 Ultimatum (subtitled)
The Edge

Sci-fi/fantasy
Serenity
Dog Soldiers
Sunshine

Thillers
Cube
Brick
Frailty

Psychological
The Machinist
Timecrimes (subtitles)
Jacob's Ladder

akatemple 05-15-11 05:46 PM

Mystery Team , Just watched it and it seems like it will be a kids comedy just from the pic on the DVD, but it is a Hilarious Adult comdy, making fun of stuff like the three investigators and the hardy boys.

akatemple 05-21-11 05:06 PM

Another one is INK, just saw it and it is awesome.

littlefoot 06-20-11 07:32 AM

Have you seen PULP FICTION? I couldn t make head nor tail of it.

Saully 06-24-11 06:50 PM

Hope this helps

The Book Of Eli

Equilibrium

The Butterfly Effect

The Illusionist

American Psycho

akatemple 06-24-11 07:32 PM

Just watched the movie The Signal, it's (2006) so it's not really new, but I thought it was a really good movie.
http://youtu.be/pY2z_RRQeyw

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...007_poster.jpg

honeykid 06-25-11 08:29 AM

Yes, I quite liked The Signal. I love the comedy interlude, as I call the second 'third.' I would say act, but it doesn't really work that way, does it?

Deadite 06-25-11 01:50 PM

The Signal is probably the best sci-fi horror zomcom love story I've ever seen. :D

bobdanger 06-25-11 06:48 PM

If you have Netflix Instant, I would recommend the BBC's Sherlock: Series 1. Awesome update of the source material with new cases and modernized characters. 3 episodes, 1.5 hours each. Very enjoyable.

TopTenArchive 07-05-11 11:24 PM

True Grit

akatemple 07-06-11 04:48 PM

I know this is so sad but I just watched Snatch and Green Street Hooligans for the fist time yesterday and if by some small chance you haven't seen them then I deffinatly suggest those two.

bobdanger 07-06-11 11:20 PM

Snatch is a very good movie. Personally, I think it is Ritchie's best film and Statham is great in it as well as the loaded cast, including Brad Pitt. Makes me want to go check it out immediately again.

Talking about movies you should rent, put up a post today on some news storied I found including a bit about an art show centered around The Monster Squad. Haven't seen that movie in quite a while, but I bet it still holds up.

ScaryGerry 07-07-11 08:24 PM

Just Go With It

I'm a pretty big fan of Adam Sandler across the board. I'd say that JGWI is my fav film of his since 50 First Dates (which is tied with Happy Gilmore for my favorite).

Sandler films tend to be very strong when it comes to supporting characters. Brooklyn Decker and Jennifer Aniston make for excellent eye candy and are both pretty hilarious in the film. The kids are hysterical - full of hilarious quotes. And my favorite character of all is by far "Dolph Lundgren" played by Nick Swardson. I hope he uses more of Swardson in future films.

“I am ze Dolph Lundgren, Devlin’s man-friend slash love-monkey!”

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._6387425_n.jpg

honeykid 07-08-11 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by bobdanger (Post 743562)
Talking about movies you should rent, put up a post today on some news storied I found including a bit about an art show centered around The Monster Squad. Haven't seen that movie in quite a while, but I bet it still holds up.
Yes, it does. The Monster Squad is still really good fun. :)

IAMME 07-08-11 06:48 AM

Try “v for vendetta “ I think you will like it , I sure did .

ScaryGerry 07-12-11 06:44 PM

Barney's Version

I'm convinced that Paul Giamatti's presence in any film automatically validates it. Argue with me all you want, but I have yet to see a film of his that I didn't enjoy.

Barney's Version is a showcase of Paul Giamatti at his best. The story takes us through a roller coaster of experiences that is the life of Canadian TV producer Barney Panofsky. In my opinion, no other actor is better suited to interpret this ride than Giamatti. His character is not likable, yet somehow P.G. manages to captivate you and even convince you to root for him; a testament to his acting ability no doubt. The supporting cast is phenomenal too, with notable roles by Dustin Hoffman (my absolute favorite), Minnie Driver, and Rosamund Pike.

There's a reason why Barney's Version received such high acclaim during awards season. Highly recommend!

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-conte...n_giamatti.jpg

akatemple 07-15-11 02:12 AM

I just watched the movie Thirst, it is a Korean Vampire movie, and well it's just different then any other vampire movie I've seen, I think it's deffinatly worth checking this one out.

http://wesleying.org/wordpress/wp-co...oks-thirst.jpg

iamwill 07-15-11 05:33 AM

"When I say new I mean new to me."

So you're alright with the oldies? Try OpenFlix's Youtube channel.

ScaryGerry 07-15-11 03:00 PM

DAS BOOT!

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...8_480404_n.jpg

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

- full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
- extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
- overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some

honeykid 07-15-11 03:16 PM

Absolutely agree with SG with Das Boot. A superb film. There's also a mini-series which I recommend and gives you much more.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/

ScaryGerry 08-05-11 11:58 AM

Boyz N The Hood. Just released on Blu-ray.

"Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._6816993_n.jpg

ScaryGerry 08-05-11 03:12 PM

Burke and Hare

Big fan of Simon Pegg, so I was pretty amped to see this one. I heard about it back in 2010 when it received a UK theatrical release. From what I understand, it's getting a US theatrical release in the near future. Currently it's getting a pre-theatrical release on SundanceNOW - a newer thing they seem to be doing quite a bit now. You can stream it there. Otherwise, maybe wait till it hits theaters.

The story is hilarious - a black comedy based loosely on the real Burke & Hare murders in Scotland in 1820s. I thought Pegg was perfect for his role, as was Andy Serkis. Also has an all-star cast supporting cast in Isla Fisher, Tim Curry and Tom Wilkinson.

"I had confidence in a fart once, then I shat all over myself" - William Burke (Simon Pegg)
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...e-pegg-006.jpg

akatemple 08-05-11 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 746142)
Absolutely agree with SG with Das Boot. A superb film. There's also a mini-series which I recommend and gives you much more.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/
What is the difference between the mini series and the movie, aside from the length?

honeykid 08-05-11 10:39 PM

There's just more of the same, IIRC. As you're with them for so much longer (there's an extra hour and twenty minutes) you know the crew so much more. The tension, claustrophobia, etc is ramped up because you're there with them so much longer.