Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show your love for BATMAN RETURNS (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=22510)

genesis_pig 05-04-10 10:48 AM

Show your love for BATMAN RETURNS

I hear lot of people stating bad comments about this one...

I know for sure Dark Knight is a better movie, but Batman Returns does a great job for character portrayals..

Tim Burton brings about a surreal and dark look to the Batman universe..

Michael Keaton was a horrible Batman & even worse as Bruce Wayne... but the character of Bruce Wayne in BR is far more of an outcast and disturbed than DK.

I am not inviting a versus thread for both the movies.. I just want people to share their view about Batman Returns.

Sedai 05-04-10 11:49 AM

Re: Show your love for BATMAN RETURNS

I guess it's decent enough, but some of it just comes off as goofy to me, these days. The set design and art direction is clearly the strongest element...

honeykid 05-04-10 09:06 PM

Batman Returns is my favourite of all the Batman films, but then, I'd put the '66 Batman film second, so I'm not really in tune with most. Despite that, they're both much more enjoyable than the other Batman films, IMO.

jrs 05-04-10 09:43 PM

Hey Genesis_Pig I saw you started a thread like this on CBR too :) You must like Batman Returns yourself.

genesis_pig 05-04-10 09:57 PM

yep... I just heard someone saying it was a crappy film... So I had to know everyone's opinion...

I always thought people had respect for this film.. It's still my fave Batman movie..

I love Dark Knight, but something about this movie makes it more special...

will.15 05-05-10 01:26 AM

Batman Returns was better than Batman. It's biggest flaw is Burton isn't a strong story teller so the plot holes start piling up, but this one is more inventive than the first and it has Michelle Pfeiffer.

LuDiNaToR 05-06-10 01:44 PM

funny ending when the penguins drag the penguin in the water lmao

Sleezy 05-06-10 01:47 PM

"Eat floor. High in fiber."

mark f 05-06-10 02:07 PM

Unfortunately I cannot show my real love for Batman Returns because this is a "family site", so
http://blogs.smh.com.au/lifestyle/as...ou-Posters.jpg

terapattrik 05-07-10 03:49 AM

It is not so good as Dark Night but still a good movie.

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Librar...%20Returns.jpg

ChasingButterfly 05-07-10 04:16 AM

I prefare Batman Returns to The Dark Knight hands down.

I think that Michael Keaton will always be Batman for me when I think of the films and he's just so darn sexy.

deathroman13 05-07-10 04:19 PM

I find Batman Returns a very good movie..

the whole movie is dark and it has great actors in it like Christopher Walken..
and it is directed by tim burton and he is my favorite director. :D

Sedai 05-07-10 04:25 PM

I think Burton is a pretty shallow director - he's a much better art director - IMO. He was able to pull off some pretty damn good direction in Big Fish, but most of his films have pretty weak direction, relying on quirky visuals and set design to carry the show, which seems to work just fine for Burton.

I enjoy many of his films, don't get me wrong, but he can't stand up to folks like Scorsese, Polanski, or Kubrick.

genesis_pig 05-07-10 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 618718)
I enjoy many of his films, don't get me wrong, but he can't stand up to folks like Scorsese, Polanski, or Kubrick.
And I don't think he intends to.. He comes from an animation background unlike the names you mentioned... he has his own style..

Have you heard of the term Burtonesque??... are there any other directors who have coined a new filmmaking style???

It's just that most of the time, his work gets interrupted by studios..

and judging by the fact he never read Batman comics, he still did a good job... I am sure if he had a better understanding of the comics, he would have made something far better...

Tim Burton has taken creativity to a whole new world.. he has never made movies and worked with Top actors to make his movies oscar friendly..

You can't compare directors like Burton, Tarantino, Rodriguez to Scorcese or Kubrick..

genesis_pig 05-07-10 05:08 PM

But lately i have been hating his movies... All his movies have been a bit off his earlier style... plus he is working with major studios..

will.15 05-07-10 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingButterfly (Post 618613)

I think that Michael Keaton will always be Batman for me when I think of the films and he's just so darn sexy.
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...cking-nose.jpg

genesis_pig 05-07-10 05:17 PM

lol..

I believe he was very keen on playing Joker in the Dark Knight..

Sedai 05-07-10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 618724)
And I don't think he intends to.. He comes from an animation background unlike the names you mentioned... he has his own style..

Have you heard of the term Burtonesque??... are there any other directors who have coined a new filmmaking style???

It's just that most of the time, his work gets interrupted by studios..

and judging by the fact he never read Batman comics, he still did a good job... I am sure if he had a better understanding of the comics, he would have made something far better...

Tim Burton has taken creativity to a whole new world.. he has never made movies and worked with Top actors to make his movies oscar friendly..

You can't compare directors like Burton, Tarantino, Rodriguez to Scorcese or Kubrick..
Actually, I can do whatever I like, thanks. When talking about great directors, I will certainly include directors I think are *gasp* GREAT!

Also, thanks for the negative reputation for simply expressing my opinion about a director. My comment is on topic, and clearly adds to the discussion. You may want to catch up on how the rep system actually works on the site before you get click-happy on the thumbs down.

That said - Burton just isn't that great of a director, especially lately. If you think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is well directed, I don't know what to tell you except - you are wrong.

Great directors don't make terrible films like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Here's a nickle's worth of free advice - If you are going to start handing out negative rep simply because someone doesn't share your opinion, you will run into issues in the community, and fast.

I will reiterate: I like some Tim Burton films - I own several of them, and think the guy is pretty good sometimes - he just isn't a great director. I think you are mistaking his art direction and overall cinematic vision for his direction skills.

Also, I couldn't care less about the Oscars - not sure what that point is addressing.

As for directors that have coined a new film making style - How about Orsen Welles? Let's put old Batman Frippin returns up against Citizen Kane to see just how much style Burton "created". Burton completely apes Welle's style in some of his films, as doesn't everyone else. How about John Ford? John Huston? Martin Scorsese? Robert Altman? David Lean? David Lynch? Ridley Scott?

Want terms made up with their names? Heard the term Lynchian? How about Kubrickian? Altmanesque?

No, Burton doesn't hold the pole position on people tacking a director's name to a certain style or concept in film making. Not even close.

meatwadsprite 05-07-10 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 618718)
He towers over them ! Burton is a genius and if they would have actually listened to him on Batman - we'd have a scene where Batman throws someone into a giant pencil sharpener.

genesis_pig 05-07-10 06:36 PM

Honestly I thought Thumbs down was when one doesn't like the post.. sorry, had no clue about this.. shouldn't have used it without knowing what it was for..

I noticed that it can only be clicked on individual posts and not on the members whole score.. so i Thought it was relevant only to a single post, as to how many like it and how many don't..

sorry once again.

The Prestige 05-07-10 10:33 PM

Oh its alright. Clearly not no where near Begins and Dark Knights league but it is still a watchable caper. The thing I like about it is a very distinctive Batman film with very good cinematography and stylish sets. Even though I think its weak overall, I still applaud Burton for taking the source material and just making it his own.

Oracle 12-08-10 04:07 AM

I think Batman Return was great. It's my second favourite Batman movie. And to be honest I just think it is way better than The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. I guess the reason why I love it, is because yeah it's dark but it just reminds me a lot of the comics from 80's.
When I watch it, it always seems as if Tim Burton got a snow glob and put black ink into it, I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I see it and well I dig it :)

will.15 12-08-10 06:19 AM

With regard to the comment great directores don't make terrible films, yes they do, at least some of them have.

phurphy 12-08-10 06:13 PM

I didn't like it as much as the first Tim Burton film. But it's a lot better than Batman and Robin that's for sure. That's a hard film to watch.

LuDiNaToR 12-08-10 06:25 PM

yeah batman returns was awsome.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2S9aHugR8g...0/catwoman.jpg

for reasons above. :)

kcmovieman 12-08-10 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 700566)
yeah batman returns was awsome.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2S9aHugR8g...0/catwoman.jpg

for reasons above. :)

Definately one EXCELLENT reason to watch the movie. This was a well done movie, the new ones are great too, but so are the old ones. They are what they are.

Sexy Celebrity 12-08-10 07:00 PM

This is actually my least favorite Batmanmovie. I have to wonder though if it's because this is the only one I didn't see in a movie theatre -- all of the others, including the 1989 Batman, I saw at the movies. But not Batman Returns.

There are parts of it I like -- Catwoman, in particular -- but I HATE The Penquin. And I'm kinda unnerved by Christopher Walken.

Granted, I'm someone who thinks there should be midnight screenings of Batman and Robin at least in a couple of places in the country every Friday night.

genesis_pig 12-08-10 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by phurphy (Post 700562)
I didn't like it as much as the first Tim Burton film. But it's a lot better than Batman and Robin that's for sure. That's a hard film to watch.
Batman & Robin could have been a great film.. All they had to do was:
  • Get rid of Arnold as Mr Freeze.
  • Throw in a Shark-repellent on the Batman's utility belt.
  • Make the costume less shiny.
Make the above changes & we have a great a movie that is timeless.
A modern day spoof of all things Batman.

C'mon how could people not enjoy this scene-

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A..._J2M2b0QYJZeyQ

"Never leave home without it."

:rotfl:

MadMikeyD 12-08-10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 700590)
Batman & Robin could have been a great film.. All they had to do was:
  • Get rid of Arnold as Mr Freeze.
  • Throw in a Shark-repellent on the Batman's utility belt.
  • Make the costume less shiny.
Make the above changes & we have a great a movie that is timeless.
A modern day spoof of all things Batman.

C'mon how could people not enjoy this scene-

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A..._J2M2b0QYJZeyQ

"Never leave home without it."

:rotfl:
The only other suggestion I would give would be to get rid of the bat-nipples. That was the worst thing about the movie as far as I'm concerned.

genesis_pig 12-08-10 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 700591)
The only other suggestion I would give would be to get rid of the bat-nipples. That was the worst thing about the movie as far as I'm concerned.
No Way, that would be like a butterfly effect.
It would end all those millions of jokes. We need that in Clooney's career.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...7p7LwSLXrKNjlg

Yoda 02-19-21 03:50 PM

Thought I'd bump this after seeing this tweet today:

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/statu...89416184340484

KeyserCorleone 02-19-21 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2179920)
Thought I'd bump this after seeing this tweet today:

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/statu...89416184340484

YES! Thatvis my favorite movie of that specific series.

Iroquois 02-20-21 02:29 AM

Revisited it in December (should consider ourselves lucky that it doesn't have Die Hard levels of "is this a Christmas movie" discourse over it) and I'm not only inclined to consider it my favourite of that particular run of Batman movies but probably my favourite Batman movie full stop.

John W Constantine 02-20-21 03:04 AM

Eat floor.

Thunderbolt 02-20-21 04:39 AM

The Christopher Nolan Batman films are a lot more serious and much deeper than Tim Burton’s. But that being said I would much rather watch Batman and Batman Returns over the latter efforts. I prefer the larger than life villains combined with the gothic style and eccentric plots. Batman and Batman Returns also rely on the talents of old school style effects which visually looks superb but is now unfortunately a dying art. Don’t get me wrong the Bale films are great, but for me Burton has captured the right balance of how a Batman film should be.

StuSmallz 02-21-21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by peterjack95 (Post 2180148)
Batman Returns is a 1992 American superhero film directed by Tim Burton and produced by Denise Di Novi and Burton, based on the DC Comics character Batman.
https://i.ibb.co/fCZCQk9/tumblr-m6av...vb8jo2-500.gif

ironpony 02-21-21 10:03 PM

I too actually think Burton is not that good of a director and is much better as an art director. One movie he outdid himself on however though was Ed Wood and it didn't even feel like him directing it, cause I felt the storytelling was much better than his usual.

I do really like his visuals though. I think maybe if Nolan and Burton had directed The Dark Knight trilogy then you would have had the best of both worlds, because you have Nolans storytelling and he has control over the script, and Burton could just do the art direction and cinematography.

StuSmallz 02-23-21 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2180580)
I too actually think Burton is not that good of a director and is much better as an art director. One movie he outdid himself on however though was Ed Wood and it didn't even feel like him directing it, cause I felt the storytelling was much better than his usual.

I do really like his visuals though. I think maybe if Nolan and Burton had directed The Dark Knight trilogy then you would have had the best of both worlds, because you have Nolans storytelling and he has control over the script, and Burton could just do the art direction and cinematography.
I feel similarly; I mean, Returns is kind of a mess as a story, but it makes up for it by going full Burton as far as its style goes (far moreso than '89 did, in fact), which, in addition to its substance as far as Selina and her relationship with Bruce goes, which is surprisingly well-developed character work, helps make it a good movie in the end for me.

Iroquois 02-23-21 03:16 AM

Conversely, I don't think The Dark Knight holds up that well precisely because it's a little too plot-oriented for its own good.

ironpony 02-23-21 11:35 AM

The Dark Knight is very plot oriented but I feel that it's done well for that type. Returns just seem to lack focus for me. It does go full on Burton but that's why I like Batman 89 better though, because I felt it had more restraint, in a good way.

StuSmallz 02-26-21 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2181052)
The Dark Knight is very plot oriented but I feel that it's done well for that type. Returns just seem to lack focus for me. It does go full on Burton but that's why I like Batman 89 better though, because I felt it had more restraint, in a good way.
Returns was extremely unfocused with its plotting, and TDK is a better film as a result, but I definitely still prefer it to '89, which felt quite soulless due to all the studio mandates Burton had to follow while making it (and even he later said that he found it to be kind of boring as a result); BR was where he got to let his "freak flag fly", which makes it the better Batman film for me.

ironpony 02-26-21 10:49 AM

Oh okay. What mandates did Burton have to follow?

StuSmallz 02-27-21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2182027)
Oh okay. What mandates did Burton have to follow?
This guy tackles it in his video on the film, and there are a lot of examples I could list, but just to sum up, it's things like them casting the actor who played "Bob" just because he was friends with Jack Nicholson in real life, one of the producers rewriting the climax without Burton's knowledge, as well as insisting on Prince doing the soundtrack (which Burton was opposed to) that shows Batman '89 was an artistically compromised project on the whole.

ironpony 02-27-21 06:04 AM

Oh okay thanks, that was a good video :). I would say that Batman 89 is the 7th best Batman movie, and Batman Returns the 8th, so it's only one step up I think, and not much of a difference, I just thought BR was more over the top, and therefore slightly worse.

ynwtf 02-27-21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by StuSmallz (Post 2181948)
Returns was extremely unfocused with its plotting, and TDK is a better film as a result, but I definitely still prefer it to '89, which felt quite soulless due to all the studio mandates Burton had to follow while making it (and even he later said that he found it to be kind of boring as a result); BR was where he got to let his "freak flag fly", which makes it the better Batman film for me.

Not a criticism just curious for clarity: do you personally find it better than Batman FOR the knowledge of Burton's restrictions? Or do you feel it's a better movie even if you didn't know the behind the scenes stuff?

dadgumblah 02-27-21 06:41 PM

The '89 Batman came at a time when I was hungry for a big screen dark version of Batman, given that I was a huge fan of the Frank Miller comic The Dark Knight Returns, which is still my favorite comic of all-time. So the '89 film help feed some of that hunger with its style and mood. Yes, Jack Nicholson pretty much stole the show because he was The Joker, but he was still Jack at that time when all he had to do was open his mouth and most crowds loved it. But I had some problems with the movie, especially the dialogue, like:
"I'm of a mind to make some mookie." ???? I'd never heard that word before and am still not sure how it applies when the Joker says it because I've looked it up all over the internet and the Urban dictionary and it doesn't really fit.
" Never rub another man's rhubarb." ???
"Hello, Vinny. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check!" ???
"Who is that loss?" (I know what he means here, but still, stupid, IMO)

The characters of Alexander Know and Vicky Vale. As pretty as she is in the movie, I thought Kim Bassinger was as stiff and dull as a stump. And I like Robert Wuhl but I didn't like his Knox character. His dialogue was stupid to me for the most part. I feel these characters took up too much screen time away from Batman. And another gripe---Batman was a supporting character in his own movie.

Didn't like Alfred, Batman/Bruce Wayne's most trusted ally, bringing Vicki Vale into the Bat Cave! What a betrayal!

Now, in the second half of the movie, I think the Joker was better as he got a little more funny like the Joker should be (while still crazy).
Although, just to put a laugh into the movie, the Joker is seen pulling out a handgun with the world's longest barrel and shooting down the Batwing. And the Batwing totally missing the Joker when Batman's got him totally in his crosshairs. Of course I get it, can't kill the Joker before the movie's running time is over but it makes Batman, the guy who had the freaking Batwing built to his specifications look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

I could go on but why? Still, for nostalgia's sake I still watch the move from time-to-time for the Michael Keaton stuff.

And Batman Returns went a long way towards correcting things. I love this movie.

StuSmallz 02-28-21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2182472)
Not a criticism just curious for clarity: do you personally find it better than Batman FOR the knowledge of Burton's restrictions? Or do you feel it's a better movie even if you didn't know the behind the scenes stuff?
It's definitely the latter, as I knew absolutely nothing about the productions of either film when I first watched them when I was a teen, and I was still far more engaged by Returns anyway (although knowing the behind-the-scenes details now still reinforces my initial impressions, that '89 was more of a studio project, while Burton got to go full auteur with Returns). Actually, I saw Returns before I watched '89, and the reversed order only emphasized my lack of interest in it, since the whole time I was thinking "Wow, Returns was so much more compelling than this!".
Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 2182495)
And another gripe---Batman was a supporting character in his own movie.
To be fair, he was that in Returns as well, but even moreso if this IMDB'ers list is accurate; the thing for me is, I didn't care if he was a supporting player in BR, since Selina was such a compelling, well-developed character, much more than Bruce, The Joker, or anyone else in '89 was.

John W Constantine 12-31-22 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2180961)
Conversely, I don't think The Dark Knight holds up that well precisely because it's a little too plot-oriented for its own good.
And we didn't get too caught up in a single characters nihilism when a whole movie was better at it.