Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Is The Most Disturbing Film? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=1847)

Karl Childers 02-22-02 09:50 PM

What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

What is the most disturbing movie, overall, that you have seen? I apologize if this topic has been explored recently.

The choices can be ultra-violent or gory. They can be emotionally harrowing. It can be a movie filled with unsettling images. Anything that shocks your senses.

In all seriousness, I would have to say I haven't seen too many films that have done this to me. Maybe because it takes a lot to shock me, to unnerve me. Many of the films I have seen in this category would be flicks I saw when I was young and impressionable. Here goes:

1) Salem's Lot- this movie scared the pee outta me when I was a mere 11 yrs old.

2) Dead and Buried- see above

3) Dawn of the Dead- although this movie is one of my faves, and I currently see it as an action/adventure flick above all else, this was the first zombie movie I saw. The effects were a little delayed, but I felt them nonetheless upon my first viewing.

4) Bad Lieutenant- just an in your face examination of a man self-destructing within the grip of drugs, gambling, and prostitution.

5) Eraserhead- eerie, eerie, eerie. Strange beyond words, and extremely unsettling.

If I think of any others, I will post them later.

Incidentally, Requiem For a Dream didn't bother me that much. I thought Aranofsky's camera tricks and MTV-style imagery took the sting out of the many heroin shoot-ups during the film. Overall, it was a good film, though. Not great. The spartan brilliance of Thornton would have turned that same premise into an unwatchable nightmare.

Honorable mention: The scene in the newer version of Lord of the Flies, when Piggie gets crushed by the boulder, is extremely disturbing. And very realistic. Does anyone remember that scene?

Marcellus 02-22-02 09:57 PM

+Ring

+Schindler's List, especially disturbing watching it as a Jew.

firegod 02-22-02 10:10 PM

Probably Natural Born Killers. However, I have seen a lot of weird movies since then, and it probably wouldn't be the most disturbing if I were to watch it for the first time now.

sadesdrk 02-22-02 10:25 PM

Kids. Hands down, Kids.

Shpadoinkle 02-22-02 11:18 PM

Jay Silent Bob Strike Back

*shudder*

thmilin 02-22-02 11:38 PM

If you EVER see this movie - be prepared for wierdness and horror. It was not intended as a horror film but had the same affect on me by the end.

It's basically a retelling of fact - I can't remember the name exactly but it's called "Sisters" or something, and they made it look all sexy in the video store. Old flick, made in the 80s or something. British, I do believe.

Basically, it's the late 1800s or some such, early 1900s. Turn of the century. Two sisters, very poor, must work and give all their money to care for their mother. The premise is class structure - how dehumanized and tortured the working/lower classes were by the upper classes. You see this basically affect the two young women. The video made it sexy because they were trying sell it I guess - the sisters are incestual at one point, but it's not even a focus of the movie.

The end is very intense and f*cking freaked my mind. I don't even want to tell you, it was just - so unexpected, and so WRONG, and so real and so scary and ... the terrible thing is, the entire story is TRUE.

sadesdrk 02-22-02 11:43 PM

ew. I hate those kinds of movies, makes me feel all icky inside. Chainsaw Massacre was this way, and Eraserhead. The skateboard scene in Kids was horrible; so were all the sex scenes.

hairybee 02-23-02 12:06 AM

The most disturbing movies I have ever seen are:

1) American History X
2) Requiem for a Dream

B&W 02-23-02 04:12 AM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The trailer for that movie (even though it was budget-as) was pretty freaky as well!

What's more disturbing is the true story of the guy (Ed Gein or something like that) that the movie was based on. Even though it was radically different to what the movie was like (there was no chainsaw what so ever involved, and it was only one guy who, not three).

Karl Childers 02-23-02 04:32 AM

From what I've read, and from what I can imagine, I believe Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer would be very, very high on the list.

I almost rented this the other day, having wanted to almost see it for some time now.

I just keep getting the feeling that there is nothing redeeming about this film.

What do you all think?

Holden Pike 02-23-02 07:42 AM

http://www.pitofhorror.com/features/jenny.jpg
I Spit on Your Grave (1978 - Meir Zarchi).

http://www.in.gr/ath/images/middle/Salo.jpg
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975 - Pier Paolo Pasolini)

http://www.horrortalk.com/reviews/Freaks/b.jpg
Freaks (1932 - Tod Browning)

http://img157.exs.cx/img157/855/rfad94fw.jpg
Requiem for a Dream (2000 - Darren Aroinofsky)

http://www.moviesboom.com/images/art...ll/glitter.jpg
Glitter (2001 - Vondie Curtis-Hall)

sadesdrk 02-23-02 11:32 AM

Freaks wasn't disturbing. It was just a little creepy.
" Gooble-Ga-Gooble-Ga-We-Except-You-Gooble-Ga"

Holden, you actually saw Glitter? Shoulda known, man.:nope:

spudracer 02-23-02 11:45 AM

Sadie, you don't have to see Glitter to know it's disturbing. :laugh:

I can't think of any disturbing films off the top of my head.

Yoda 02-23-02 11:46 AM

Braveheart was disturbing when I first saw it. I'm used to it now, though. The Relic was pretty much the first gorey movie I ever saw without looking away...so that was a little disturbing. :)

sadesdrk 02-23-02 03:26 PM

Fight Club was diturbing. Can't say my stomach wasn't a little queasy.

spudracer 02-23-02 03:29 PM

Fight Club wasn't disturbing, just weird.

Se7en WAS disturbing.

sadesdrk 02-23-02 03:33 PM

it was diturbing to me. I'm not very warmhearted towards guys getting the sh*t kicked out of them like that...s'okay if you are, though.;D

spudracer 02-23-02 03:37 PM

WHA!? You live in California and are not familiar with men beating the sh*t out of each other??? :laugh:

I guess it has it's moments when it gets downright graphic, but those are small moments.

I'm sure that this is dealing with movies that are all-around disturbing.

sadesdrk 02-23-02 03:39 PM

Originally posted by spudracer

I'm sure that this is dealing with movies that are all-around disturbing.
You're reminding me of someone...hmmmm...the name escapes me right at this moment...but it's this guy that tries to make people feel stupid for their choices...

Fight Club was disturbing TO ME. The end.

spudracer 02-23-02 03:42 PM

Sorry for pulling a Holden. It won't happen again. :laugh:

EDIT: Should we add the term Holden into the Glossary???

patti 02-23-02 05:35 PM

no......don't put that in the glossary. :nope:

i would say;

A Clockwork Orange

the rape scene in The Accused (Jodie Foster),

and most of the ultraviolent gory for gory's sake slasher movies where people are just mutilated one by one by some crazy psychopath......e.g. Chainsaw Massacre, et.al.

bleck.....we can do much better things with film. :yup:

spudracer 02-23-02 05:54 PM

Originally posted by patti
no......don't put that in the glossary. :nope:
Yeah I know, I was only kidding. :D

Holden Pike 02-23-02 06:43 PM

Forgot a super-duper deluxe with cheese disturbing flick...

http://www.thypath.com/harmony/gummo...x/gummo124.jpg
Gummo (1997 - Harmony Korine)

You'll never look at drinking strawberry milk in a filthy tub that looks like it's filled with rust and root beer or little boys in fluffy bunny suits playing the accordian in a public toilet the same way again. Truly bizarre and completely disturbing, kind of like Freaks meets Pink Flamingos. That Harmony Korine should be locked-up or something.

jaidiar 02-23-02 07:14 PM

The Cell and Event Horizon - disturbing, but somewhat fascinating :D

Steve 02-23-02 08:33 PM

I don't think a movie's being disturbing makes it inherently bad. For example:

Bully, which I just saw recently, scared the bejesus outta me, and I think it's a great movie. Kids was disturbing as well, & that movie is fantastic.

I haven't seen Gummo, but I thought julien donkey-boy was fascinating.

Cries and Whispers is disturbing to me too. I still think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

spudracer 02-23-02 08:35 PM

Oh yeah, forgot Event Horizon, very very disturbing.

Yoda 02-23-02 09:45 PM

I don't think a movie's being disturbing makes it inherently bad.
I don't think it makes it inherently good -- and, let's face it, lots of people seem to think that it does. Oh, it deals with drugs in an open and candid manner; it's great! Oh, it "tackles" the issue of teen sexuality in a very raw and disturbing way: powerful! Well, yeah, sure...maybe it got your attention, but that doesn't make it a good movie...it doesn't make it an impressive piece of work if the subject matter is simply shocking enough that no one bothered with it before.

patti 02-23-02 10:42 PM

Holden, you will know the name of this......it escapes me at the moment.....a documentary flic about a cartoonist......weird bony little guy with a mustache?......reminds me of john waters......his brother is a depressed homebound mass of oddness.....damnnnn- what's the name......
the title is his name......

not a bad video......just disturbing IMO

L .B . Jeffries 02-23-02 11:22 PM

I'm just tossing in a couple that may have been mention that were qutie distrubing for me

Pink Flamingo - I'm scared to watch other earlier works by Water cause of this film.

U-Turn - just really gets to me, I love Penn's character but for the whole movie I wanted him to get the hell out other. it fuk with my mind big time.

Full Metal Jacket - Not so much the whole of the movie but the final last 10 or so minutes with an attack on the senses.

David Cronenberg films I go back to the all the time but they are very messed up espically Fly, The (1986) Shivers (1975)
Rabid (1977)

Asshault on Precinct 13 - senseless violence the S_it is the pits but it doesn't always get to me Carpenter just hit a nerve I guess

Monkeypunch 02-24-02 01:10 AM

The Documentary that was mentioned a few posts ago is "Crumb," Directed By Terry Zwigoff. Excellent movie BTW.:D

patti 02-24-02 01:36 PM

monkeypunch- yes, Crumb......i just came back to edit my post and saw yours......i consulted the IMDb and holden (same thing) to find the title. it was good......but whacky. i can still see and hear robert and his housebound brother charles.....their strange depressed tone, way of laughing at their own oddness..........i liked the documentary but came away a bit disturbed.
:cool:

Steve 02-24-02 06:45 PM

Crumb's one of my favorite movies - it was sad for me more than anything else, the scenes with his brothers were pretty disturbing though.

Pay it Forward is disturbing to me. How anyone could like a movie so covered in cheese and contrived, unoriginal melodrama is beyond me. I think it's the worst movie I've watched in the past couple of years.

sadesdrk 02-24-02 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Steve
Pay it Forward is disturbing to me. How anyone could like a movie so covered in cheese and contrived, unoriginal melodrama is beyond me. I think it's the worst movie I've watched in the past couple of years.
I agree. It sucked @ss, even Spacy was melodramatic.

Karl Childers 02-24-02 09:03 PM

I was going to mention Crumb , but decided against it. I think the entire subject matter of this riveting documentary is fairly unsettling. But the movie is not really viscerally disturbing like most fictional pieces in this category.

But overall, I would say Crumb is a good choice for this list.

Pink Flamingos, which I own on VHS, is not so much disturbing as it is sickening. In total seriousness, this movie really does grow on you, however. It is very entertaining, and is very decent in its own strange way.

I think the magnificent soundtrack helps the viewer get into this movie more easily. It includes:

1) Link Wray- "Swag"

2) Little Richard- "Girl Can't Help It" (His greatest song)

3) Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers- "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent"

4) The Trashmen- "Surfing Bird" (during the most unforgettable scene in cinema history)

thmilin 02-25-02 01:03 PM

I'd say Event Horizon was a typical flick except for the ONE disturbing part they rushed on anyway - the crew footage of madness. Otherwise it' s really all an "idea" and it's just a typical sci fli action flick.

Crumb, I always sort of wanted to see that. But I had the feeling it would be disturbing and never got around to it.

I'd say subject matter would be the MAIN reason for me that something would be disturbing, which usually influences the action EVENTS we see in the movie. That can also be complemented by direction, cinematography, all that good stuff.

I never really found Se7en particularly disturbing, unless I'm just desensitized. Just felt like the typical action/thriller/serial killer religious fanatic bent and we just got to see the things he did to his victims.

So ... is it a question of these films just having disturbing elements IN them? Because I'll agree to that but truly overall, Se7en didn't make me go home and have popup visions that haunted me for the rest of my life. I'll say it was a good movie and only because of Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey. But it's not a disturbing film in and of itself, just explored the gory details. Like Silence of the Lambs. Or Hannibal.

LBJ!! I saw your sig in Croupier! Is that where it's from, or is there some original source?

L .B . Jeffries 02-25-02 01:32 PM

Originally posted by thmilin

LBJ!! I saw your sig in Croupier! Is that where it's from, or is there some original source?
yep that's were it's from.

while i'm here I'll add another one

Eureka a Nicholas Roeg Film I love it but it had a lot of weird things in it, not everything made sense either or added up definalty distrubing for me.

I'd say Event Horizon was a typical flick except for the ONE disturbing part they rushed on anyway - the crew footage of madness. Otherwise it' s really all an "idea" and it's just a typical sci fli action flick
yeah there was a little bit of sickness in this movie but all around just a sci-fi - horror.

sadesdrk 02-25-02 02:32 PM

Anyone see Shivers?

:eek:

L .B . Jeffries 02-25-02 04:47 PM

yep Cronenberg pretty crazy stuff didn't really distrub me thou. The Fly on the other hand does.

sadesdrk 02-25-02 05:06 PM

I don't know which is more disturbing...the movie (disease being sexually stimulating and people enjoying making love to open sores) OR the fact it didn't disturb you.:p

bigvalbowski 02-25-02 05:07 PM

Happiness - This film has been stuck in my head since I watched it. It deals with paedophiles, perverts, murderers and masochists. And yet, the director made me laugh out loud for most of it. That's a disturbing movie because I didn't know if I was sick, the director was sick or the entire world was sick. I've come to the conclusion that it's the third.

thmilin 02-25-02 05:53 PM

yeah, bigval, it's all ov us.

sades!! gasp, I have never heard of this film. ewww. but then again, there's ALWAYS something somebody likes ... the naughty way.

Fez Wizardo 02-26-02 11:11 AM

I'm not easily disturbed, a lot of films mentioned like se7en etc. didn't do that much to me, but these are all pretty messed up. (blood/gore doesn't horrify me as much as psychopaths - people doing things that humans are realistically capable of doing/ and/ or have been doing!)

Disturbing films:

Audition Said enough in all my other posts already :)

Boys Don't Cry - I don't know if this is universally disturbing, I just really didn't like watching it.

Kids/Gummo

Salo: 120 Days of Sodom - yeah, cheers for those bits of shrapnel in my cake while I crawl around on my knees like a dog (naked) (that's not a spoiler by the way)

Bad Boy Bubby - fook me, this one takes the biscuit - unrivalled and unsurpassed sickness...

less so but also interesting ones:

The Sexual Life of the Belgians

An American Werewolf in London - I love multiple dream sequences (how many times has that happened to you and how much did it scare you? ;))

Straw Dogs the rape scene

and anything by cronenberg tends to be at least on the slightly freak side :D

sadesdrk 02-26-02 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
Boys Don't Cry - I don't know if this is universally disturbing, I just really didn't like watching it.

Hey Fez,
WARNING: "Boys Dont Cry" spoilers below
don't you think that the movie would have still maintained it's integrity by just having the rape scene described by Hilary Swank's charactor to the police officer, rather than the flashback? I don't know about you, but I felt it was overkill. Her description of what happened and the intensity of her telling it, was just as powerful. I didn't need the visual. I have a good imagination. What sayeth you?

Fez Wizardo 02-26-02 01:50 PM

WARNING: "Boys Dont Cry" spoilers below
I reckon the film was trying to be controversial and the thing is the flashbacks were not just the standard screaming / pushing off / face full of agony - but going for full on explicit shock factor - even after you see more than you want to you'd be sitting there thinking, "I get the picture, I understand this scene is meant to be very disturbing, and it is" but it just seemed to go on and on. Actually to be honest the worst for me was when that other woman got shot :( In terms of imagery, well we're very much a voyeuristic society nowadays and people aren't satisfied by suggestion or description.

sadesdrk 02-26-02 04:43 PM

It's true. It's true.:yup: I was having this same discussion with my sister, and she said it added so much to the impact of the film. I wasn't going to agree with her that easily. The whole subject matter was impact enough. All the scenes you(Fez) and I mentioned, just created a bad taste in my mouth. I would have been happy with the acting alone...it was excellent. I guess the director felt we need to be force-fed, though; which is too bad. It spoiled the movie for me.

Fez Wizardo 02-27-02 06:24 AM

I saw it in the cinema with my girlfriend which made the most uncomfortable viewing - ever.

Although saying that I don't think I would have wanted to see salo in the cinema with my girlfriend either :eek:

The Silver Bullet 02-27-02 06:36 AM

I was rather disturbed by the final line of A Clockwork Orange (as opposed to the entire film).

The Japanese film, Audition.
Or the film about, basically, Nine Inch Nails, The Broken Movie.

Fez Wizardo 02-27-02 07:43 AM

What's the NIN vid like? I don't know much about Trent Reznor himself but I was for a short while a fan of the music ;)

sadesdrk 02-27-02 12:34 PM

I forgot about A Clockwork Orange. That was disturbing. Very.

Monkeypunch 03-01-02 12:25 AM

Disturbing movies......The Exorcist was pretty disturbing, so was Pretty Woman if you really think about it. But that's disturbing in a totally different way. Hollywood loves them Whores!

Karl Childers 03-01-02 03:56 AM

There are a plethora of truly horrifying films that make all of our entries look like Mary Poppins . With the exception of Eraserhead, I would say all of my picks are pretty tame. There are some real beasts out there. For example, has anyone seen:

1) The Holy Mountain
2) El Topo
3) Man Behind The Sun
4) Begotten

Fez Wizardo 03-01-02 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Karl Childers
There are a plethora of truly horrifying films that make all of our entries look like Mary Poppins .
You obviously haven't seen most of the ones I've mentioned ;)

Steve 03-02-02 02:18 AM

2) El Topo
That's one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Have you seen Santa Sangre?

Snoozle 03-02-02 10:22 AM

The Exorcist --I saw this when I was 12---couldn't believe how scary it was, and I have never seen a scarier movie since--I still had trouble watching it when it was re-released with the extra footage last year.

Schindler's List --I have to agree that this belongs on the list. I was a truly excellent movie, and I'll never watch it again. Just too too too real.:(

Karl Childers 03-03-02 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
You obviously haven't seen most of the ones I've mentioned ;)
I've seen some of the ones you have mentioned. An American Werewold In London is, IMO, one of the three greatest horror movies ever made. It is not that disturbing, however.

Straw Dogs is a decent film. I think it is pretty underrated compared to The Wild Bunch . It is not what I would call disturbing, however.

I have heard a lot about Salo . It sounds pretty offensive.

Some of your other picks sound somewhat disturbing from what I've read, but probably not moreso than the ones I mentioned.

Karl Childers 03-03-02 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Steve
That's one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Have you seen Santa Sangre?
I haven't seen either one, or The Holy Mountain . Are you a Jodorowsky fan?

liam5000 03-06-02 02:23 AM

Most Disturbing Film

City Of Lost Children - This just had something about it.
I can't really explain. But it is still a great film.

The Exorcist - Deffinetly. I saw this for the first time last year, and I was thirteen. And I can't ever remember myself being that scared in my whole life.
The whole way about it. Real cool though.

Carrie - I saw this for the first time a couple of days ago, and I thought this was genuinly disturbing.
The scene where she's up on the stage & the blood is poured on her & then she kills everyone. I was frozen from then to the credits.

Pups - I think the most disturbing thing about this is; it is so true.
Teenagers are out of control. And its the truth in it that made it disturbing for me.

Spice World also disturbed me a lot too.
lol.

thmilin 03-06-02 03:42 AM

oh oh, i know!! music videos by the Quay Brothers!!!

there was one, i'll never get over it, 3 am on MTV YEARS ago ( i was like, 12 ... so, 1992?) ... and a vid came on with meat moving through a pipe and a twisted little puppet man going crazy and suffering in some decrepit apartment bldg - it looked like Silent Hill meets Voodoo, goodness!

sadesdrk 03-08-02 08:13 PM

There are a plethora of truly horrifying films that make all of our entries look like Mary Poppins . With the exception of Eraserhead, I would say all of my picks are pretty tame. There are some real beasts out there. For example, has anyone seen:

1) The Holy Mountain
2) El Topo
3) Man Behind The Sun
4) Begotten
I wrote all of these titles down, that way, I'll never run the mistake of watching them.:D

jrs 03-08-02 09:40 PM

I'd have to say Peter Jackson's Bad Taste

L .B . Jeffries 03-08-02 10:00 PM

Originally posted by jrs1013
I'd have to say Peter Jackson's Bad Taste

:o :o OOOwwww I just love the sick ***** Jackson pulls off in Bad Taste and Dead Alive.

Derek: Stick all the bits of brain in a plastic bag, Barry.

Peace

jrs 03-08-02 10:07 PM

oh gosh....i didn't say i HATE Jackson's work

L .B . Jeffries 03-08-02 10:21 PM

Originally posted by jrs1013
oh gosh....i didn't say i HATE Jackson's work
No ! No ! I didn't say you did like him or his movies, just saying that I found Bad Taste to be good taste :laugh: and it didn't distrub me one bit.

Peace

Fez Wizardo 03-12-02 03:32 AM

Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
and it didn't distrub me one bit.
It's just a laugh... it lacks atmosphere to be a disturbing film!

Jenny*B 03-12-02 11:51 AM

disturbing movies

There aren't so many movies that actually disturb me, but there are some that have gotten to me at points. I'm such a film freak, I don't come across too many movies that I didn't like, let alone that upset me.

Pink Floyd's The Wall - I saw this when I was really young, and the part where the kids fell into that grinder thing... *shudder*

The Exorcist - scary film, bottom line

Friday the 13th - the first film disappointed me more than disturbed me, but the fact that the movie that began the slasher craze was so timid was disturbing in itself

It - an evil clown that takes on the forms of your worst nightmares? now that's frightening

Faces of Death - saw bits and pieces years ago. you don't have to see this movie to know that it's disturbing

There's probably more, but now I've got a headache. :indifferent:

L .B . Jeffries 03-12-02 02:25 PM

Re: disturbing movies

Originally posted by Jenny*B

It - an evil clown that takes on the forms of your worst nightmares? now that's frightening
I haven't seen the whole thing but as a kid the part when the picture comes alive scared the ***** ot of me. defiantly not good from the kiddies.

Which reminds me of my first time I watched ROBOCOP were he gets blowin to pieces that was trumatizing for me as a kid, it stayed with me for days. I think I tucked my head in the corner on the couch when they started to blast away. then had a peek when he was looking up at the doctors and what not. than back to the head in the corner of the couch than another look when I think my brother told me it was okay now, and that's when they were opperating on him, what a guy got love him. :)

Peace

Snoozle 03-12-02 02:37 PM

Re: Re: disturbing movies

Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
[b]

I haven't seen the whole thing but as a kid the part when the picture comes alive scared the ***** ot of me. defiantly not good from the kiddies.
Well, I was fully grown up when I saw It, and it scared the bejeesuz out of me, too. I was at a friend's house watching the first night (it's a miniseries), and I didn't want to drive home alone!:eek: :eek: :eek:

tzortst 03-13-02 02:48 AM

ok the most disturbing film would have to be blood sucking freaks that film was just wrong

morbidodyssey 03-15-02 02:41 AM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Oricle 05-02-02 05:45 PM

The most intense movie I can think of is Jacob's Ladder. Oh and Hannibal.

Greg The Bunny 05-03-02 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Oricle
The most intense movie I can think of is Jacob's Ladder...
I definately agree! That is my top brain-twister movie ever!

thmilin 05-05-02 02:09 AM

i've a new one, which dealt with a disturbing theme ... but it was actually a very beautiful film.

it's an indie, came out on places like the Sundance Film channel and for now the title eludes me but it's something like "Blessed" or something like that. about necrophilia.

this chick grows up with a fascination with death and finally develops a sexual desire for the dead and is incapable of really connecting with people and is totally unable to love or desire a living person sexually. she becomes a mortician.

a guy falls for her and is drawn into her world, basically obsessed by her and her necorophilia. frustrated in his inability to reach her in that way, he finally sacrifices himself to her out of love - hanging himself. she then finally gets to ... with him, and the wrapup of the story is that she never does it again, because he was the ultimate for her.

very strange and beautiful ... it's a love story and yet, totally untypical. it crosses into the line of permission - this woman taking bodies sexually (young men) without the knowledge of them or their family ... and yet it's this ritual for her, this worshipping and proper respect of death, a deference to death no one else around her has, to the point that she actually DESIRES the dead.

and the whole world of death is thoroughly explored ... the spirituality of it. the depth of it. the meaning of it ... to the dead, and the living.

very beautiful but ... very very ... um ... disturbing.

Marcellus 05-05-02 02:55 AM

Originally posted by thmilin
i've a new one, which dealt with a disturbing theme ... but it was actually a very beautiful film.

it's an indie, came out on places like the Sundance Film channel and for now the title eludes me but it's something like "Blessed" or something like that. about necrophilia.

this chick grows up with a fascination with death and finally develops a sexual desire for the dead and is incapable of really connecting with people and is totally unable to love or desire a living person sexually. she becomes a mortician.

a guy falls for her and is drawn into her world, basically obsessed by her and her necorophilia. frustrated in his inability to reach her in that way, he finally sacrifices himself to her out of love - hanging himself. she then finally gets to ... with him, and the wrapup of the story is that she never does it again, because he was the ultimate for her.

very strange and beautiful ... it's a love story and yet, totally untypical. it crosses into the line of permission - this woman taking bodies sexually (young men) without the knowledge of them or their family ... and yet it's this ritual for her, this worshipping and proper respect of death, a deference to death no one else around her has, to the point that she actually DESIRES the dead.

and the whole world of death is thoroughly explored ... the spirituality of it. the depth of it. the meaning of it ... to the dead, and the living.

very beautiful but ... very very ... um ... disturbing.
it's so weird - i remember reading a review for that a couple of weeks ago.

the movie's infact called Kissed

for me, one of the most disturbing images was the final scene in Dancer in the Dark - left me literally shaking afterwards :eek:

Snoozle 05-05-02 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
Hannibal... disturbing? Hardly.
Yes, at the dinner scene it was just too bizarre. I don't thing the gore was the worst, I think Ray Liotta's walking and talking through it was the disturbing part.:eek: :eek:

Holden Pike 05-05-02 12:53 PM

Thimlin, that movie is indeed called Kissed (1996). It's a Canadian flick starring one of my favorite younger actresses: Molly Parker. She co-starred in a terrific TV series from the Great White North, "Twitch City" (1998), and she also starred in Wayne Wang's controversial The Center of the World (2001) and Michael Wuinterbottom's Wonderland (1999). She won a Genie, the Candian equivalent of the Oscar, as Best Actress for her work as Sandra in Kissed.

I love Kissed too.

thmilin 05-06-02 02:23 AM

yeah, Kissed! I knew it ended with an "ed." heh. i actually saw this years ago and just remembered it cuz i think i heard a mention of it somewhere.

the thing is, the movie shows this magical world of death without SPEECH. without someone sitting there and saying "it means this and this, and it's like this and this, and this is how it is when you desire a dead man..."

WARNING: "Kissed" spoilers below

when her love interest asks her to explain, she really can't. only because we're with the camera and following her around do we see how intensely ... spiritual and magical it all is. the reverence with which she makes the body up, cleans it, makes it perfect. the care with which she kisses, touches, treats the dead. and it actually becomes ... ok. i actually thought it was ok for her to do this, or rather, that there is nothing wrong with desiring the dead. that love is love and making love is making love and she didn't have a perverse need to use someone. that it was ok if she had "permission" - so, her love interest, in the end, WANTED her to.

yeah, a female mortician is rare. the movie definitely explored the ... the "oddness" factor in the type of person who takes the job (the senior mortician and his male assistant both have their own ... quirks) ... and then if you think about it, is she really no different from the dirty old mortician who uses the bodies of young boys because he's a necrophilic pederast? is it ok just because she reveres? or is she just as bad and twisted in her own way, like someone who reverently steals the clothes of someone they're stalking? love to the point of wrongness?because this is the ultimate - the object of your love has no CHOICE in the matter....

a truly fascinating beautiful film. i just remember her on the gurney, in the cold, in the shining light ... and it seemed like the ultimate definition of lovemaking ... beautiful ... and it's what fulfills her ... and the man beneath her is ... well ... beautiful ... but cold. supposedly serene, but that's the way she made is face to be. is it all false? is this the only way she can connect, because she can manipulate people and give them meaning, all on her own, like a child in a dream world with their stuffed animals or imaginary friends? all fascinating questions.

makeitstop 05-07-02 02:57 AM

Gladiator because it actually won best picture. That and anything with richard gere. Or kevin costner. Or john travolta. Or barbera striesand. I say all four of them should be sent directly into a blackhole. After being staked and stuffed with garlic just to be safe.

Yoda 05-07-02 10:48 AM

C'mon. Field of Dreams wasn't total crap. Costner was decent there. Travolta was in Pulp Fiction and Get Shorty - you don't like either of those? I despise almost everything Costner's ever done, mind you...but even I have to admit he hasn't always completely sucked.

Wickstik 05-10-02 02:17 AM

Mulholland Drive - Disturbing in its wierdness....

The Texas Chainsaw movies, while gross and sickening, were not really disturbing in the sense that you new the guy's motive - he was a psycho who liked killing and mutilating people. If anyone can clearly understand what was happening in Mulholland Drive - tell me please... :rolleyes:

sadesdrk 05-10-02 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Wickstik
If anyone can clearly understand what was happening in Mulholland Drive - tell me please... :rolleyes:
You should see our threads on the subject, but here's a hint:
WARNING: "Mulholland Drive" spoilers below
Everything before the box is fantasy; after the box is reality.
Help any?

The Silver Bullet 05-10-02 09:33 AM

I don't believe for a minute that it's that simple...

OllieO 05-10-02 04:41 PM

Not a bad list, but you are forgetting a few, and I'm quite surprised.

Taxi Driver

The Deer Hunter

American Beauty

Born on the 4th of July

Rambo
(don't laugh, it's got a lot to say)

Perhaps also American Psycho

Psycho

They're a few to start with.

spudracer 05-10-02 04:48 PM

Oh yeah, American Psycho is a top-notch disturbing film. It's one of those that is so disturbing you have to watch it over and over. :D

williams_131 05-22-02 12:51 PM

So if anybody actually reads this....

I just saw AI: Artificial Intelligence... Very Disturbing
Also.... The new movie Frailty....disturbing, and also a terrible film.

Yoda 05-22-02 12:53 PM

Originally posted by williams_131
Also.... The new movie Frailty....disturbing, and also a terrible film.
Boooooooo. Disturbing, yes. Terrible? No way. I thought it was borderline brilliant. Excellent film.

williams_131 05-22-02 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Yoda

Boooooooo. Disturbing, yes. Terrible? No way. I thought it was borderline brilliant. Excellent film.
Well we all have our likes and dislikes i guess. Just thought that it was too repetitive with the killing and stuff, had some good points though about how parents can screw up their kids though. I just dont like the thought of killing people in the name of god i guess.

sadesdrk 05-22-02 01:01 PM

My mom told me about a movie she thought was very disturbing, and I completely trust her judgement. It's called, Happiness.
Maybe someone already mentioned it.
She told me a little bit about it, and some of the more disturbing scenes; I have to say...I won't be renting it.
My parents like grittier stuff than I do, and they pulled it out...it must have really gone against their grain, because I can't remember the last time they pulled a movie.
So, just a warning.

Holden Pike 05-22-02 01:12 PM

Many people are easily offended by Todd Solondz's stuff. To date he's made three films: Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness and Storytelling. I was a little disappointed in Storytelling (see my MoFo review HERE), but I think Dollhouse and Happiness are brilliant. They do present some disturbing characters and situations, but its all filtered through such an odd and unique sensibilty, I find it fascinating. Funny, too.

But, diff'rent strokes and all.

sadesdrk 05-22-02 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Many people are easily offended by Todd Solondz's stuff. To date he's made three films: Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness and Storytelling.
I'm a big supporter of Welcome to the Dollhouse. I always tell people about it, and I'm comfortable in recommending it to others. Even though it presented some difficult subject matter, it did so in such a lighthearted way, that it was easy to swallow.
The sibling rilvalry, feelings of unattractiveness,teen angst...were all key parts of the story--but they were delt with tastefully and with humor.
From what my mom told me about Happines, I wouldn't want my child to act in this movie. No frippin' way. :nope:
But, different strokes and all. ;D

Holden Pike 05-22-02 01:37 PM

You should probably see Happiness sometime for yorself, to judge that character in context (I know which subplot you are referring to, of course). If your parents didn't even watch all of the movie, how can they fairly judge it? It's a tough movie to watch in some ways, but I think also an honest and non-judgemental multiple-character study, and ultimately a very interesting film. But I find that's part of what turns people off most about that one character, that he isn't presented as a monster. Not that he's presented sympathetically either, because he certainly isn't. It's hard to intellectualize, you just have to see how it's done in the movie.

Or don't. I love Welcome to the Dollhouse too, but Happiness is so much more complex and ambitious. I think you're missing something by not judging for yourself (it's also about a lot more than just that one storyline), but I also don't think I (or Todd Solondz) am going to lose sleep over it if you never watch it.

;D

sadesdrk 05-22-02 01:51 PM

You should probably see Happiness sometime for yourself, to judge that character in context (I know which subplot you are referring to, of course). If your parents didn't even watch all of the movie, how can they fairly judge it?
I might. I usually do, just to see what all the groaning is about. Someone told me not to see Kids, too; but I did...and didn't find it half as insulting as they did. My parents watched almost all of it...she said they were down to the last 15 minutes or so, and it wasn't getting any easier so she just said she'd had enough. Dad will sit through most anything...so I'm surre it was her choice. I watched Reqreium for a Dream, with them and she wanted to pull it; but we made her stick it out. :) Anyhoo...I'll take what you said into consideration.
but I also don't think I (or Todd Solondz) am going to lose sleep over it if you never watch it.
Not that you care. ;D

XetoxIc 05-22-02 03:30 PM

I would have to say Natural Born Killers or Pink Floyd the wall, maybe Syd Baretts first trip........there are so many!

bigvalbowski 05-22-02 05:22 PM

Natural Born Killers disturbing?

I've never been able to understand the reaction to this movie. I found it to be nothing more than a light-hearted comedy about violence in the media. Most of the violence was of a cartoon variety.

Perhaps the early scenes with Rodney Dangerfield were so satirical and distasteful that they disturbed some viewers. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who were forced into laughing at the horrible things Dangerfield was saying simply because the laugh-track told them to. But that was the point, wasn't it?

I didn't think the violence in NBK was any more gratuitous than you'd find in Bonnie and Clyde or other murderers on the run films.

Oh and Sades, if you can at all, check out Happiness. If only to catch a great cameo by Jon Lovitz. The subject matter is frank and dangerous but Solondz treatment is very, very funny. Perhaps too funny for the subject.

sadesdrk 05-22-02 06:50 PM

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Oh and Sades, if you can at all, check out Happiness. If only to catch a great cameo by Jon Lovitz. The subject matter is frank and dangerous but Solondz treatment is very, very funny. Perhaps too funny for the subject.
I read what Holden said, over the phone...and she brought up an interesting point: Holden doesn't have kids. Things like that may not effect him on the same level as someone with kids. Same with Schindler's List...I'm sure we all could identify with the hardships and the pain...but not like someone who lived it.
It applies here. The thought of someone doing to your child what this man did, is going to leave you pretty cold.
I don't know, maybe you have a nephew or something, Holds, and just have no trouble distancing yourself from the subject matter and real life.

Holden Pike 05-22-02 07:13 PM

I don't have children of my own, true, but I don't think that really affects how I view Happiness...or any other movie, for that matter. Not in a direct one-to-one correlation anyway. Something tells me if your Mom didn't have kids or she could somehow time travel and see it when she was sixteen, she still would have rejected that storyline. Like most Films, it's just a taste thing on the most basic level and completely subjective.

Yoda 05-22-02 07:20 PM

Personally, I think her mom makes a very good point. I used to wonder why it was my dad, a grown man, would cry during certain movies. I told him I didn't feel the urge to cry. He told me "you will. When you have a family...when you have a wife you love and children you adore, you will." I've come to realize how right he was. I'm growing up in a family that allows me to, in a way, feel very much like a parent (I'm roughly sixteen years older than my youngest sibling). When I watch a movie about war, for example, I can't help but picture my friends, and those younger siblings, out in battle...and it gives the film a much stronger impact.

That's my opinion, at least. It's easy to take the depiction of emotional loss lightly when you have less to lose, emotionally, than some others.

Mary Loquacious 05-22-02 08:32 PM

This is an interesting debate...

The thing is, personal taste must be defined by who you are, and who you are is at least partially determined by your roles in society. Being a parent, I think, is one of the most life-changing aspects of human existence, and it can have a big effect in how you look at things. All kinds of things. "Things" being such a great, descriptive word and all.

My point is, some people's tastes change more than others. If I had seen Trainspotting at any other time than in the first few months of my daughter's life, I don't believe I would have freaked out and started crying like a maniac at that one scene (you know the one I mean). My husband remarked on that, too. So, being a mother changed me, to an extent--changed who I am. I never know for sure, but I do know that it surprised the hell out of me to react so strongly to a scene that was comparable to others I had seen of the same nature (and not reacted to... I feel like I'm repeating myself, so I'll stop).

It's all subjective, to be sure... but then again, so is your personality.

Fez Wizardo 05-23-02 08:38 PM

I just remembered another addition, which didn't disturb me as I watched it only afterwards when I thought about it:

The War Zone (Tim Roth's directorial debut)

I think to a large extent when I watch foreign films (inc. American ones) I can kind of distance myself from them and think of it as another world... but when it's filmed and shot on an everyday backdrop with incredibly bog standard looking actors it becomes completely different on so many levels... does that make sense?

... and without wanting to sound like a broken record too much: if anyone can get hold of a flick called Bad Boy Bubby fecking well do! (especially you SB, something this freaky obviously comes from your parts :D) From it's opening scenes you'll know whether you're going to love it or hate it but either way you'll still want to watch it through...

plot summary:

Bad Boy Bubby is just that: a bad boy. So bad, in fact, that his mother has kept him locked in their house for his entire thirty years, convincing him that the air outside is poisonous. After a visit from his estranged father, circumstances force Bubby into the waiting world, a place which is just as unusual to him as he is to the world.

sadesdrk 05-23-02 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Something tells me if your Mom didn't have kids or she could somehow time travel and see it when she was sixteen, she still would have rejected that storyline.
Nah. I don't think so. :)
but I know her better than you do.

The Silver Bullet 05-24-02 09:56 AM

I'll tell you what I didn't find disturbing.
Requiem for a Dream.

And I'm willing to discuss this with someone, because I don't know why I didn't when everyone said I would...