Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   the Best of '50s Sci-Fi (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=1379)

Holden Pike 12-05-01 12:04 PM

the Best of '50s Sci-Fi

1 Attachment(s)
https://i.imgur.com/33mAMSS.png

Here are five of the most influential and successful Science Fiction films of the 1950s, the movies that defined and popularized the genre. For you, which is the best of the best?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1402669364

patti 12-05-01 10:23 PM

well now holden, that's a tough call...as for favorites i'd have to pick Invasion Of The Body Snatchers...truly disturbing and scary. But a hard vote..... they are all classic....my second place choice would be Forbidden Planet, although i like The Thing From Another World (more so because it led to it's modern remake The Thing with Kurt Russel):eek:

Holden Pike 12-05-01 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, they are all great, but for me Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an easy choice. I've seen that flick more times than I can remember anymore.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1402670081

Yoda 12-05-01 11:56 PM

"War of the Worlds," simply because the conclusion is so very logical, yet so very surprising, too. I remember being in awe of how clever it was when I was younger.

Holden Pike 12-06-01 12:26 AM

You'd have to thank H.G. Wells for that bit of inspired brilliance, but George Pal's film production was particularly impressive, especially in its day. It still holds up pretty well. God bless the common cold!

L .B . Jeffries 12-06-01 12:48 AM

OK I'd didn't vote cause I've only seen two of them which I love The Thing and Invasion I'll have to come back on this one Mr. Pike and tell you buddy.

B&W 12-07-01 04:30 AM

Sci-Fi is one movie genre that I believe the movies get outdated.
Or at least '50s Sci-Fi's have anyway.

On 2nd thoughts, prehaps i shouldn't say anything as I have never seen any of the films listed in the poll!

Peace,

Mr M 12-07-01 07:41 AM

I hear they are planning to remake Forbidden Planet, and give Roddy the Robot a completely new image.

Holden Pike 12-07-01 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's Robby the Robot.

I haven't heard about a Forbidden Planet re-make, but since the main spine of the story is simply Shakespeare's The Tempest, why not give it another whirl with today's effects? I certainly can't be any worse than the recent Planet of the Apes re-make, and I feel it has potential to be decent - depending on who's behind it, of course.

Steven Soderbergh is apparently going to re-make Tarkovsky's Solaris (GREAT flick!), so it should be interesting to see how it translates. I'll bet that one will work, because it's such strong material and Soderbergh is so inventive.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1402670042

Mr M 12-12-01 07:54 AM

:o I meant Robby the Robot. Total Film nominates Pierce Brosnan in Leslie Nielsen's role, Sean Connery as Dr Morbius and Julia Stiles as the girl whose name I've forgotten.

Monkeypunch 12-15-01 03:07 AM

50's Sci-Fi? Where are such cult favorites as It Conquered the World, or The Giant Leeches, or even the majesty that is The Giant Gila Monster? Yes, they are terrible, but I still love them in all their half formed, retarded glory, and they're more fun than the films on the poll. Sorry.

Holden Pike 12-15-01 05:36 AM

No need to apologize, but as I said, this is a list of five of the most influential and successful movies of the genre, not a half dozen cult classics that you may enjoy for their camp value.

If you want to start your own poll where Plan 9 From Outer Space, Robot Monster, Beginning of the End, The Killer Shrews, and It Conquered the World fight it out, be my guest.

I own a whole bunch of that junk, including Plan 9 From Outer Space, Robot Monster, The Giant Leeches, The Screaming Skulls, and Beginning of the End, but that's not what I'm after here.

Sunfrogolin 12-20-01 02:55 PM

What a great poll! I had to go for Invasion. WoW was my favorite for a long time, but Invasion snatched my vote for creepyness.

SultanBigPants 12-22-01 04:44 AM

I've actually never seen ANY of these. I always wanted to see DTESS, but never got around to it.

zook 12-25-01 08:28 AM

i've only seen 'the day the earth stood' still so that wins for me.

klaatu verada nicto

or is that necktie..you all know what i am talking about...I hope.

people are right though where is 'plan 9'??
it has become a truly cult experience now.

henry hill 01-10-02 05:32 AM

Hey, What about The Blob starring the "king of cool" Steve McQueen. That's an absolute influential classic :D

(nah, definately invasion of the body snatchers...)

L .B . Jeffries 03-08-02 10:50 PM

Well I watch THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and man was I dissapointed. I don't understand the great appeal this movie has gooten over the years.

It was really basic stuff nothing special I could be wrong I'm not considering when it was made. it was just on par everything was a C average.

What do you like about it so much HOLDEN must do tell.

Peace

Karl Childers 03-12-02 01:04 AM

What about Them ?

I'm not talking about the prequel to What About Bob, but the sci-fi movie about giant, atomic sized ants.

morbidodyssey 03-15-02 02:45 AM

Never seen any of them cept for body snatchers so it would be that.

genesis_pig 07-08-10 07:56 PM

Re: the Best of '50s Sci-Fi

I was just here to ask which Invasion of the Body Snatchers should I watch first, the 1956 or 1978 one.

But since 1956 one is mentioned here.. I am guessing most would recommend 1956 one, but it's better to ask anyway.

Holden Pike 07-08-10 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 638449)
I was just here to ask which Invasion of the Body Snatchers should I watch first, the 1956 or 1978 one.

But since 1956 one is mentioned here.. I am guessing most would recommend 1956 one, but it's better to ask anyway.

The Don Siegel original.

It's not a must, but as the '78 re-make is in some ways a sort of sequel, especially with one terrific cameo toward the beginning, you'll want to have that base of knowledge first.

Also check out THIS thread.

genesis_pig 07-08-10 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot.

will.15 07-08-10 08:45 PM

Not on the list, but I love this movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ury5b-qtI1Y

honeykid 07-08-10 09:41 PM

Actually, I think a great deal of people would suggest the '78 version over the '56 version. I wouldn't be one of them, though.

Although I voted for The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, I'm surprised that The Thing From Another World only has two votes. Maybe, like me, the choice was between the two films and Bodysnatchers just nicked it for me. That said, I only saw TTFAW last year and, already, it's become one of my favourite films. Perhaps once I've seen it as many times as I've seen Bodysnatchers, I'll think differently?

rufnek 07-09-10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 25636)
"War of the Worlds," simply because the conclusion is so very logical, yet so very surprising, too. I remember being in awe of how clever it was when I was younger.
You ever hear a recording of the Orson Welles radio program? It's darker in many ways, some interesting but dangerous humans running around after the Martians attack, and not nearly as upbeat an ending--in short, it would make you throw rocks at any of the film versions.

rufnek 07-09-10 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch (Post 27318)
50's Sci-Fi? Where are such cult favorites as It Conquered the World, or The Giant Leeches, or even the majesty that is The Giant Gila Monster? Yes, they are terrible, but I still love them in all their half formed, retarded glory, and they're more fun than the films on the poll. Sorry.
I knew The Giant Gila Monster and he couldn't polish the shoes of The Thing From Another World. :)

Sedai 07-09-10 05:05 PM

Deceptively difficult to pick...

At first blush I went to click The Day the Earth Stood Still, but the other titles are just as worthy, perhaps more so... War of the Worlds is just a seminal classic in every way... The Thing is fantastic...Man, tough one...

Ok, I am letting overall scope determine the victor:

The War of the Worlds

You know, due to my silly infatuation with the 1978 version, I have never actually seen the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

I'm fired!

I have now corrected the error, and Netflix will ship the film to me sometime early next week, after I return True Blood...

rufnek 07-09-10 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Karl Childers (Post 39877)
What about Them ?

I'm not talking about the prequel to What About Bob, but the sci-fi movie about giant, atomic sized ants.
Yeah, Them! is my second-favorite Sci-Fi classic after The Thing from Another World--and not because James Arness is in both films. What made Them! so great was James Whitmore as the police sergeant. I was a big fan of Whitmore's from Battleground on through his career. He was great as a gangster or a hero, and he was in some of the most interesting, offbeat films such as Face of Fire and The Next Voice You Hear. A damn good actor!

rufnek 07-09-10 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 638475)
Actually, I think a great deal of people would suggest the '78 version over the '56 version. I wouldn't be one of them, though.

Although I voted for The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, I'm surprised that The Thing From Another World only has two votes. Maybe, like me, the choice was between the two films and Bodysnatchers just nicked it for me. That said, I only saw TTFAW last year and, already, it's become one of my favourite films. Perhaps once I've seen it as many times as I've seen Bodysnatchers, I'll think differently?
Strange, you posted this yesterday saying TTFAW had only 2 votes. I voted for that film several minutes ago and it still shows only 2 votes! Is The Thing getting cheated at the polls???? Oh, they shouldn't ought to get The Thing mad ! You know what he's capable of doing!!!!

honeykid 07-10-10 06:49 AM

lol... Yours must've been added since, ruf.

honeykid 07-10-10 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 638763)
You ever hear a recording of the Orson Welles radio program? It's darker in many ways, some interesting but dangerous humans running around after the Martians attack, and not nearly as upbeat an ending--in short, it would make you throw rocks at any of the film versions.
Just in case anyone's interested, if you get the R2, 2 disc Special Edition version of Citizen Kane, that broadcast is included on disc 2. There's also another Mercury Theatre radio play, "The Happy Prince" included.

will.15 07-10-10 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 638941)
Just in case anyone's interested, if you get the R2, 2 disc Special Edition version of Citizen Kane, that broadcast is included on disc 2. There's also another Mercury Theatre radio play, "The Happy Prince" included.
It doesn't really sound all that great today, but created a sensation at the time because a lot of people thought what they were listening to was really happening because it was told like a music show interrupted by news broadcasts of the spaceship landing and then attacking.

Cyberia 07-11-10 05:16 PM

I voted War of the Worlds. Close behind was The Thing From Another World which was creepy and close behind that a tie between Forbidden Planet for it's amazing concepts, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers which was creepy too. The Day The Earth Stood Still was no big deal and the new version was boring.

Lots of good films missed out: When Worlds Collide, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, It Came From Outer Space, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Them!, Quatermass Xperiment, Godzilla (original), X The Unknown, The Monolith Monsters, The Mysterians, Quatermass 2, The Blob, Fiend Without A Face, The Fly, The H Man, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, and some more I must have missed out.

timetravelfan 07-11-10 06:34 PM

I voted War of Worlds. There are other good sci-fi movies, for example, 20,000 Leagues Under Sea (1954).

Caitlyn 07-11-10 06:38 PM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

HitchFan97 09-05-11 04:31 PM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, easily. Though I've only seen that and The Day The Earth Stood Still, which I expected to win. No complaints here though, Don Siegel is the man.

Deadite 09-05-11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 638463)
Not on the list, but I love this movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ury5b-qtI1Y
I second this. Invaders from Mars is great fun.

Kitsch 09-05-11 06:41 PM

Where are When Worlds Collide and Invaders From Mars? I'm fond of the former, but the latter is probably my favorite of the decade's sci fi.

akatemple 09-05-11 07:02 PM

I had to go with Forbidden Planet, I love that movie. And it's just my opinion but the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is much better then the 1956.

HitchFan97 09-05-11 07:04 PM

I haven't seen the 1978 version, I'll have to check it out.

MovieMad16 09-05-11 07:30 PM

War Of The Worlds for me. GReat story and i still think of Orson Welles when i think War Of The Worlds.

Deadite 09-05-11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by akatemple (Post 761972)
I had to go with Forbidden Planet, I love that movie. And it's just my opinion but the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is much better then the 1956.
I second this too. I don't even particularly like the original but I think the second is awesome sci-fi horror.