Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2013 MoFo Fantasy Football - The Playoffs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=34001)

Yoda 12-04-13 11:12 AM

2013 MoFo Fantasy Football - The Playoffs

So, here we are again. Eight of us are on the outside looking in at the glorious playoffs. No, I'm not bitter. What? That's ridiculous. WHY ARE HUMAN BODIES SO FRAIL? Excuse me while I go concuss myself on a filing cabinet.

The Top Two
The two teams with the Byes won them going away, having clinched them before the final week. And what's more, they were the #1 and #2 scoring teams. That last happened in 2010 (and came within 2 points of happening in 2008).

Not only that, but they were #1 and #2 by a large margin. Dig this, man: the gap between the #2 scoring team and the #3 scoring team was 166 points. The gap between that #3 scoring team and the lowest scoring team in the league was 178 points. Yeah, read that again.

jiraffe's Hot Jamaales might have had the best regular season in league history, putting up an 11-2 record, which tied the mark for most wins and set the mark for best winning percentage (Swedish Chef went 11-3 our first season, when we had 12 teams and played 14 games). As is always the case with a great season, there was a mix of great numbers and great timing: he had the highest Points For in the league, but also the lowest Points Against, which is pretty incredible. Looking at the the individual matchups, you can see how well-timed the totals were: he played TONGO's #2 seed in week 9 and won a barnburner 138-130, and he won in week 11 despite putting up just 89 points.

TONGO made some early season moves (and he owes me a big fat thank you for convincing him not to drop Le'Veon Bell!), trading for Drew Brees and later Adrian Peterson, though he also gave away Knowson Moreno back when nobody was sure if he was for real. Weirdly, both the Brees and AP trades still look pretty reasonable in both directions: he gave up guys like Stafford and Jimmy Graham for them, so he parted with some serious value. He also survived having used the #4 overall pick on Doug Martin. The winning formula, at least this time, appears to have been grabbing a couple of studs that live up to their reputation and plugging the rest of the lineup here and there.

Both teams, however, are beatable. Not just because this is fantasy football, where the Gods fickley (is that a word? Whatever) laugh at your best-laid plans. But more specifically, because they do have some vulnerabilities. The Hot Jamaales are relying on Andrew Luck, who's faded down the stretch, and TONGO's PlasticPads&IronMen went 3-4 after their 6-0 start, putting up fairly low totals in 2 of the last 3 weeks.

Week 14
Two matchups:

Beast Mode (8-5) vs. Vick dont fail me no (7-6)
Beast Mode is pretty much the Seattle Seahawks: 5 of their 9 starters come from Rainy McFogTown. Of course, Seattle is one of just a few teams where this is a potentially viable strategy, even though one suspects it'd have been employed even if they weren't quite so good. But hey, you say: clearly it worked! Well, technically, but don't let the record fool you: Beast Mode actually put up the 8th-highest score in the league, winning weeks 3 and 5 by a combined 4 points.

Vick dont fail me no is, amusingly, had Vick fail them, but got into the playoffs anyway thanks in large part to trading for Moreno early in the year and getting Gronkowski back at midseason, making it pretty hard to gauge their actual quality. They're trotting a couple of really iffy guys out there, but some genuinely dangerous ones, too. I think they probably advance here, but you never know when a huge game from Seattle is going to single-handedly win the week for Beast Mode.

Peyton's (sic) of Doom (7-6) vs. Mud Dogs (7-6)
Pretty cool that seanc's Mud Dogs made the playoffs, because that means both newbie owners (along with jiraffe) did. Nice. And hey, another fantasy-team-that's-pretty-much-just-an-NFL-team team, with Dionne's squad running 4-5 Broncos out most weeks.

Problem is, he's not really the Broncos so much as he's the Broncos' passing game, and they play the Titans this week, who've got a heck of a pass defense. And obviously having 2 of their 3 receivers (and probably not their best) limits his upside most of the time. And the Mud Dogs are rounding into form: Stevie Johnson's back, Josh Gordon is exploding, and Matthew Stafford has been crazily reliable. I think sean moves onto the semifinals here.

TONGO 12-04-13 12:20 PM

Great write up as always Chris.

Ron Burgundy interviews Peyton Manning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JlFAgXQzao

TONGO 12-04-13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 996049)
TONGO made some early season moves (and he owes me a big fat thank you for convincing him not to drop Le'Veon Bell!)
Oh I almost forgot -

THANK YOU YODA!

If I had dropped LeVeon Bell to waivers at seasons beginning I surely wouldnt be in the playoffs.

seanc 12-04-13 06:13 PM

Re: 2013 MoFo Fantasy Football - The Playoffs

Nice write up Yoda, and I am not just saying that because you picked me to win.

I sure am glad Stafford has been as good as he has, I felt in danger of being kicked out of the league before games even started for that one. Of course it wasn't all good news, I fully expected Willams to be my flex play most weeks and provide me with 10-12 TDs. That did not come close to happening.

Playoffs should be fun.

seanc 12-08-13 05:05 PM

Need Denver to lay an egg today. Not optimistic about that. Plus I hate rooting against Manning.

Yoda 12-08-13 05:08 PM

Yeah, the projections are kinda useless most of the time, but especially with a team that has a lot of players in the same game. Suddenly you don't need a lot of different games or outcomes to be "weird," but just the one, and it can drag them all down.

Makes sense that both matchups look like total toss-ups right now, because in one matchup you've got a bunch of Broncos and the other, a bunch of Seahawks. We'll know a lot more in a few hours.

seanc 12-08-13 08:17 PM

That's right. Ball scores the final TD of Denver's day. It's as if Denver was running up the score on MY fantasy team. Congrats Peyton's Of Doom, you picked the right year to stock up on Broncos.

TONGO 12-08-13 08:53 PM

Adrian Petersons sprained his ankle and status next weeks up in the air. Well thats just wonderful! :nope: At least I have Toby Gerhart, but would he be worth starting over, like say, a Riley Cooper?! Having a lineup question is no way to enter the playoffs. Meanwhile the Jamalles Machine keeps on going and going and going...

Regardless of the pitfalls Ive never been closer to the championship as I am right now. I get Dex next week, and Knowshon Moreno better have on the golden shoes of Jack Dundee.

jiraffejustin 12-08-13 09:10 PM

I wish Andrew Luck would have saved this 40 point performance for next week, when I actually need it.

7thson 12-08-13 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 997579)
That's right. Ball scores the final TD of Denver's day. It's as if Denver was running up the score on MY fantasy team. Congrats Peyton's Of Doom, you picked the right year to stock up on Broncos.
Thanks - although it is not mathematically over yet, I feel pretty good.

I was not sure picking up and starting Reece was going to pay off, but it worked out well. If Welker stays "out" which it looks like he is, it is going to be tough to move further for me unless some other players come up big.

I mean I actually watched a Raiders game and they were not playing against any of my fav teams, weird. ;)

Nice write up Yods - glad you were wrong.... well if it holds I mean.

Yoda 12-08-13 10:27 PM

Yeah, the general logic seems okay: Manning's great but it's hard for both your receivers to go off, let alone in bad weather against a great pass defense. But hey, it happens. Congrats on the (probable) win. We'll be down to four shortly.

Yoda 12-08-13 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 997672)
I wish Andrew Luck would have saved this 40 point performance for next week, when I actually need it.
#FirstSeedProblems

Sedai 12-09-13 10:05 AM

Crazy day in Football yesterday....

Yoda 12-10-13 10:31 AM

And then there were four: TONGO, jiraffe, Dex, and Dionne. Dex, in particular, took a crazy path to the playoffs and beyond, but here he is. That said, he was already going to be a big underdog this week even before losing Gronkowski.

FYI: Dex is having computer issues and asked me to set his lineup.

TONGO 12-11-13 09:44 AM

Me vs Dionnes Broncos. Theyre playing San Diego which is good, but theyre playing in Denver, and thats not good. Thursday night game, and Ill find out how big of a total Ill need to crack.

Toby Gerhart has hamstring problems so my teams reeling. Damn so close lol! They say Riley Coopers got 2 sweet matchups coming. I might just have to go there.

The Jamaales are facing a Gronkless Dexter. Between AP & Gronk there might be a carpet of their jerseys leading to the championship for him. If statistics to this point was all, then he's got it won, but the old saying applies "this is why they play the games". It is looking rough though.

Sedai 12-11-13 10:50 AM

I have to be that guy for a second.

Dominating in my other league, and ready for the first round of our playoffs this week! Having P Manning, J Charles, AJ Green, R Cooper and Carolina Defense have put me over the top more weeks than not!

In other news - my team completely fell apart in this league!

Yoda 12-11-13 11:02 AM

It's okay, we're all That Guy when we have a rough year, especially if it involves anything weird or flukey.

Yoda 12-12-13 10:48 AM

Here we go!

#1 The Hot Jamaales (11-2) vs #6 Vick dont fail me no (8-6)
Hard not to root for Dex, being such a big underdog, and given the way his season has unfolded. He did the duct-tape-a-broken-team-long-enough-to-get-into-the-playoffs thing that I was going for, and it just worked. What's more, offline concerns have kept him away (I think he said his desktop stopped working), so he had to ask me to slot a few guys in for him. But here he is, in the final four.

jiraffe, meanwhile, has had a great first year and one of, if not the, best regular seasons. But Smaug's got a few scales missing, to be sure: Andrew Luck had a really rough second half of the season (though a great game last week), and with RGIII benched he has to choose between Kendall Wright and a Pierre Garcon with something called Kirk Cousins throwing to him. But whoever it is he pairs him with Brandon Marshall and he's stacked at RB.

Dex has a lot of question marks, but there's plenty of potential there, too, especially now that Roddy White is looking like himself again.

Dex can definitely win this, but it's just more likely he doesnt. I think jiraffe advances to MoFo Bowl VI.

#2 PlasticPads&IronMen (9-4) vs #4 Peyton's (sic) of Doom (8-6)
This one really defies prediction, for two reasons. First, because TONGO's team was much stronger in the first half of the season than the second, and now he's probably without Adrian Peterson, to (in a?) boot. This might not be too bad if Gerhart replaces him, but he's a little gimpy, too.

The second reason is that any team made up largely of one NFL team is subject to a lot of variance. If you have good players from lots of different teams, the odds of them all having weird or disappointing games are pretty low. But if half your team is playing together, it only takes one snowstorm (or one great day from the opposing defense) for the whole thing to fall apart. Thankfully for Dionne, he employed this strategy with the offense led by a QB who might be having the greatest season in the history of the position.

But there's trouble in this Rocky Mountain paradise, because Denver plays on Thursday this week, and it looks like they're going to be without Wes Welker. Moreover, the aerial stuff's been covering for a dearth of RBs...though he might have stumbled into a legit starter with Montee Ball, even though that seemed incredibly unlikely just a couple of weeks ago. He had no choice but to trot him out there, and somehow that prompted him to produce. Go figure.

Boy, I keep going back and forth on this one. But I'll go with TONGO, because I think relying on Ball/Williams/Holmes is just too risky. Peyton's covered for these kinds of lottery tickets most of the year, but I have to think that filling a third of your lineup with them is going to backfire at some point.

Have fun everyone!

jiraffejustin 12-12-13 12:28 PM

I could certainly make an early departure from the playoffs this week. I am nervous about this one. Brandon Marshall has to face Joe Haden. Reggie Bush is questionable. Andre Brown is facing the Seahawks, which means the Giants will be down early. The Chiefs might not want to put too much on Jamaal's plate with the playoffs looming. I have concerns, but hopefully I am just overthinking this.

Yoda 12-12-13 12:57 PM

Well, it's overthinking in the sense that it's not actionable, you know? It's reasonable to worry about all that, but none of it is extreme enough for you to play different players, so there's not much use.

I'm going through the same thing; I'm the defending champ in my other league and one win away from returning to the title game, and I have some of the same guys you do: Marshall and Brown. Probably benching the latter, in fact, but that's because I've got some really good alternatives.

I'd forgotten about the Haden thing, though. Thanks, now I'll be worrying even more.

TONGO 12-13-13 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 998963)
Boy, I keep going back and forth on this one. But I'll go with TONGO, because I think relying on Ball/Williams/Holmes is just too risky. Peyton's covered for these kinds of lottery tickets most of the year, but I have to think that filling a third of your lineup with them is going to backfire at some point.
Correctamundo, but Im not trying to speak too soon. Games almost over and Dionnes Peytons have 31.02 with 3:30 to go in the 4th qtr. He still has the rest of his roster, but this is huge.

I was a juggernaut this season. I didnt even brag hoping I wouldnt jynz it :laugh:, and midway I got real normal real fast. Now no Adrian Peterson, Gates is out and Pittas in, Riley Cooper may be due cause Gerharts hobbled and at best would prob split touches with Asiata. If I win Ill face Jamalles or Dexter and both have beat me this season. So close oh so close.

Yoda 12-13-13 12:51 AM

Yeah, he's a massive underdog now. You can just about book that flight to wherever we're holding MoFo Bowl VI, buddy.

7thson 12-13-13 05:05 AM

Yeah I picked up Tamme AND Caldwell and flipped a coin on who to start - should done Caldwell I guess. Even with his 20 points it would be tough. Funny though Peyton really did not have a bad game, well for him it was I guess. Looking for a miracle, but I know I am pretty much done. Was a fun season though, fantasy wise. GG either way Tongs.

Yoda 12-15-13 05:02 PM

It's looking like both of the top two seeds are going to really back into the MoFo Bowl. Neither figures to put up a great total, but both opponents are having terrible weeks.

TONGO 12-15-13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1000606)
It's looking like both of the top two seeds are going to really back into the MoFo Bowl. Neither figures to put up a great total, but both opponents are having terrible weeks.
If you say so. My teams starting so bad though Im wondering if theyre trying to score under Denvers thursday totals. This is ugly at its ugliest.

jiraffejustin 12-15-13 06:10 PM

DeAngelo Williams with a 72 yard touchdown catch. This changes things.

7thson 12-15-13 06:17 PM

Not starting Caldwell like I knew I should have may just haunt me...

Yoda 12-15-13 06:24 PM

Well, to be fair, you were in the impossible position of deciding not whether to start a Bronco (which I imagine would've been a non-decision for you), but figuring out which Bronco to start. ;)

7thson 12-15-13 06:28 PM

Haha - well I did lose a Welker and when I looked at what was available I did look at others, but they both seemed like good ads - I just picked the wrong one - guess I should have started both of ;em. ;)

TONGO 12-15-13 06:57 PM

The impossible is happening right now. To make a long story short I have 54.10 to Dionnes 94.56. Yahoo now is projecting Peytons to win.
At halftime for 4:00 games
Drew Brees has 2.70,
Fitz 4.60,
Boldin finished at 5.80,
Pierre Thomas 8.10,
& Cooper finished at 6.90. Im barely still in it because my kicker Vinatierri has 13.00 and Kansas City has 13.00

Yoda 12-15-13 07:02 PM

Yahoo projections are dumb. They're just good for general ranges, IE: the only thing I'd take from that is that it's definitely winnable for both sides.

I'd still give you the edge: the projections are based on extrapolating in-game stats, and I'll be shocked if Brees doesn't put up wayyyyy better numbers in the second half, especially since they're down 21 already. He's gonna be chucking the ball like mad.

7thson 12-15-13 07:11 PM

Yeah if Brees can prevent another fumble or int he should put up a good 2nd half - I do not want him too, but I am realistic.

7thson 12-15-13 07:12 PM

A score by N.O. on the ground by anyone than Thomas would actually be good.

Yoda 12-15-13 07:38 PM

So, uh...Jamaal Charles everyone.

In leagues with yardage bonuses for big plays, like the other one I play in, he's got 64 points so far, and he's another play or two from pushing that above 70 because he's nearing 200 receiving yards. And I get to play him next week in the finals if I hold on.

If my count is correct Charles currently has the third-best day in fantasy history under standard scoring, with a real chance to break the all-time record. Wow.

jiraffejustin 12-15-13 08:10 PM

Jamaal Charles is pretty good I guess.

Yoda 12-15-13 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1000665)
Yahoo projections are dumb. They're just good for general ranges, IE: the only thing I'd take from that is that it's definitely winnable for both sides.

I'd still give you the edge: the projections are based on extrapolating in-game stats, and I'll be shocked if Brees doesn't put up wayyyyy better numbers in the second half, especially since they're down 21 already. He's gonna be chucking the ball like mad.
Well, all this ended up being true. TONGO's gonna need about 20 points out of Bell and Pitta combined, which I'd say is more likely to happen than not.

This would be over already if Dan Bailey, the kicker, didn't have a ridiculous 24 points.

7thson 12-15-13 08:44 PM

Hey Bailey might not be done yet... ;)

TONGO 12-15-13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1000691)
Well, all this ended up being true. TONGO's gonna need about 20 points out of Bell and Pitta combined, which I'd say is more likely to happen than not.

This would be over already if Dan Bailey, the kicker, didn't have a ridiculous 24 points.

Yes this is better, but Im still shellshocked to the point I have no confidence whatsoever. Ill feel right if or when my total passes Dionnes. If I can squeak by, fricking APs still out and the other "top dog" team has Charles whose been in the zone with a vengeance.

7thson 12-15-13 08:44 PM

Okay, now he is

TONGO 12-15-13 11:34 PM

LeVeon Bell might close the margin between me and Dionne all by himself. Was feeling good till I saw the "O" symbol next to Larry Fitzgeralds name (that means Out), and read this...

Fitzgerald "didn't feel well" after the win over Tennessee, and was "out of it" following the hit, which was believed to have occurred late in the fourth quarter on an onside kick. It sounds like Fitzgerald's Week 16 availability is in serious jeopardy. He'll have to progress through the NFL's protocol concussion testing in order to be cleared to play at Seattle.

Sigh!

7thson 12-16-13 12:00 AM

Yep pretty much end of my season, but I did get further than I had thought I would and at least made it close this last game. I keep 2nd guessing my last minute changes but hindsight is a bitch that has perfect vision. Congrats - now go win it all.

7thson 12-16-13 12:23 AM

I can secretly hope that Pitta gets a negative score...

Yoda 12-16-13 12:34 AM

More likely that there's a stat correction. Which is why TONGO should definitely play him tomorrow despite the lead.

Yoda 12-16-13 12:34 AM

It is pretty crazy to think of how shorthanded TONGO would be in the MoFo Bowl, too; no AP and possibly no Fitzgerald.

TONGO 12-16-13 01:08 AM

WHEW! LeVeon Bell did it!

Dont even think of Pitta getting a negative score tomorrow, dont even! This day scared the hell out of me enough. I very realistically might be starting Michael Crabtree & Anquan Boldin in my WR 1&2 slots next week vs Atlanta. A cold hard fact is this - if I beat the Jamaales next week itll be a fluke. If so, I'll take it :)

TONGO 12-16-13 12:26 PM

Finally some good news! Adrian Peterson will be back week 16 WHEW!

Yoda 12-16-13 12:27 PM

That's definitely big, yeah, glad to hear it. Definitely want you guys duking it out at your best. :)

Sedai 12-16-13 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1000674)
So, uh...Jamaal Charles everyone.

In leagues with yardage bonuses for big plays, like the other one I play in, he's got 64 points so far, and he's another play or two from pushing that above 70 because he's nearing 200 receiving yards. And I get to play him next week in the finals if I hold on.

If my count is correct Charles currently has the third-best day in fantasy history under standard scoring, with a real chance to break the all-time record. Wow.
Yep - I have him on my team...but I still lost....

My opponents team went off in all slots, while I just had a couple guys (including Charles) go off... VERY close, but...I will be playing for the bronze next week.... Dang!!!

Yoda 12-16-13 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1000925)
Yep - I have him on my team...but I still lost....
Nah uh.

Sedai 12-16-13 04:10 PM

Yep - My team locked in about 143 points...which was not enough...

I had WR 2 and WR 3 go dark on me...not a good week for that.

jiraffejustin 12-17-13 12:41 AM

My Texas boys (Jamaal and Justin) went off this week.

Aaaaaaaaand he gave a shout out to his fantasy owners. I love you, Justin Tucker.

Yoda 12-17-13 01:00 AM

Not that they needed to. Looks like you're going to come less than 1 point away for the highest margin of victory in league history, playoffs or no.

7thson 12-17-13 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 1000645)
Not starting Caldwell like I knew I should have may just haunt me...

:(

jiraffejustin 12-17-13 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1001159)
Not that they needed to. Looks like you're going to come less than 1 point away for the highest margin of victory in league history, playoffs or no.
Let's hope for some stat corrections then. Enough to make this margin a whole point larger.

Yoda 12-17-13 11:25 AM

I played in three leagues this year, and in all three of them, the person who drafted Jamaal Charles is in the finals.

jiraffejustin 12-17-13 12:28 PM

I have Jamaal in this league and I am playing against Jamaal in the Jungle.

Yoda 12-17-13 12:31 PM

Aye. And I'm playing against Jamaal in my money league, where I'm trying to defend my title from last year (woot). It's pretty much Peyton, Jamaal and Bush and a bunch of sketchy guys.

TONGO 12-18-13 12:11 AM

Im gonna get my ass kicked! :laugh:

rauldc14 12-18-13 04:27 PM

Good luck to the 2 remaining teams. Let's get this over so I can finally have a good baseball fantasy year:D

TONGO 12-19-13 12:01 PM

Yahoo is saying Drew Brees, Adrian Peterson, and Larry Fitzgerald are in the Week 16 Lames. Those are my top 3 players! :facepalm:

TONGO 12-19-13 05:44 PM

I might be able to pull this out yet.

Picked up Justin Todman (MJDs replacement on the Jags), Dennis Johnson (Arian Fosters replacement), and Ryan Griffen (new TE in Houston with Owen Daniels out). Thinking of slotting in Todman for Pierre Thomas's slot (Carolinas tough), and Michael Crabtree instead of Larry Fitzgerald @ Sea. At Seattle, it just has a certain "theres no way your wide recievers gonna get double digits" type of ring to it.

Actually contemplated benching Brees for Ryan Fitzpatrick, R Fitz has slightly outperformed Brees the last 4 weeks in fantasy points, but I cant do that. R Fitz is to prone to interceptions. Still am contemplating benching Adrian Peterson for Dennis Johnson. APs ankles sketchy, and Gerharts coming back too. Could see a 2 or 3 man committee (Matt Asiata) running for Vikes sunday.

Im sure Ill change my mind a dozen more times, but there is some fanasy sports soundness to this way of thinking. I won the fantasy baseball championship by riding the Who's Hot Now waivers during a championship and won. The squad I was up against was even more ridiculous than Justins. Course I didnt have the talent on my team then as I do now. The matchups and circumstances surrounding this weeks championship just look so brutal.

TONGO 12-20-13 04:32 PM

Ok Ive definitely decided to play Jordan Todman over Pierre Thomas. Now Ive got to get the gumption to bench Larry Fitz for Crabtree (i.e. for more than a few hours). God I so dont want to do that. Crabtree is just nowhere near the vicinity of a talent like Larry Fitzgerald.

Yoda 12-20-13 04:42 PM

I think that's smart (Todman over Thomas, I mean).

TONGO 12-20-13 05:40 PM

Thank you! Thats all I needed! Larry Fitzgerald it is! whew

Yoda 12-20-13 05:57 PM

I didn't say anything about Fitz. :laugh: But if you want to know, I'd be leaning towards starting Crabtree in his place. That's a tough call, at least, so I'd definitely think about it regardless of whatever Fit'z talent level is (and remember, Crabtree was selected 10th overall, so he's no slouch in the talent department). Plus, I'm not sure how much I care about overall talent level when judging a single sit/start decision, anyway.

TONGO 12-20-13 10:25 PM

http://prod.static.titans.clubs.nfl...._justin_ci.jpg

With great deliberation, and even ignoring the experts on the sites, Ive decided not to play Michael Crabtree. I just have never been impressed with him, dont think Kapaernick will throw alot, and once San Fran gets ahead theyll probably run with Gore and throw to Vernon Davis.

If I do bench Fitz then itll be for the guy pictured above. He has outproduced Crabtree the last 4 weeks, and only played 3 games to Crabtrees 4 (suspended disciplinary for one). Will do more research on this as he's very new and the stakes cant be higher.

TONGO 12-21-13 01:07 PM

Oh hm! Looks who's double and triple posting the week leading up to the championship, and will probably post a dozen times more before tomorrow? That's right, and now "Mr Does Too Much" is fighting back a strong urge to bench Brees @ Car, Fitz @ Sea, and Peterson @ Cin.

I would go with Ryan Fitzpatrick @ Jax, Justin Hunter @ Jax, and Dennis Johnson (Arian Fosters replacement) vs Den.

Brees got near 40 points against Carolina, at the Superdome. Carolinas allowed next to nothing to QBs when in Carolina, and they are truly capable of shutting brees down altogether. Larry Fitz is battling the concussion in seattle vs the best pass protection in the NFL. If he wasnt Larry Fitz I wouldnt even consider playing him.

Then theres Peterson. I just think theyll be using a 2 or even 3 RB committee sunday. AP & Gerhart are both hurt, and that Asiata guy is good for one thing, goal line TDs. :eek: Dennis Johnson is the complete show right now in Houston.

I dont think this would be stupid as theres too many obvious factors i.e. information present, but it would be gutsy. It would be damn gutsy, but if i fail and my stars on the bench would have ended up winning it for me, well then my name would be Mud. There is that. sigh!

Yoda 12-21-13 07:21 PM

Well, I asked people to send me their phone numbers the other day and TONGO sent me his, so I gave him a call and we talked about fantasy football (including tomorrow's MoFo Bowl) for a little while. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9I9gYXmXZ8

TONGO 12-21-13 10:48 PM

It doesnt play. At least for me.

Yoda 12-21-13 10:53 PM

Hmm, works okay here. It was still processing when I posted it, though, so you might just wanna fresh and try it again, or hit the YouTube button and try to load it on their site.

TONGO 12-21-13 11:26 PM

Doesnt work at all, and when I hit the YouTube button it says the same thing "This Video Is Private"

Yoda 12-21-13 11:38 PM

My bad, I thought I saved that change. Try it now! :)

seanc 12-22-13 10:55 AM

Good luck fellas. Definitely came down to the right two teams.

TONGO 12-22-13 12:04 PM

Now theyre saying MJD will probably play today. Last home game of year, and that means itll probably be the last home game for MJD with Jacksonville. Dennis Johnson is slotted in.

Edit in - Yep MJD is active.

7thson 12-22-13 12:54 PM

I hope you two have a great final game - it has been a fun season. I worked pretty hard on my team this year keeping up with players and whatnot. I did come very close to being in the finals and it was not because of my heavy laden Bronco roster, as a matter of fact that is what helped me get to the playoffs and a little further. I came about 4 points away from getting in and I have won it all with a similar roster - although in the PPR league a year ago.
I too think the right teams made it and I hope it is a nail-biter, I will be watching. There is just no love :(

haha - Happy Holidays all, been a fun year!!!

Yoda 12-22-13 12:59 PM

Same to you, Dionne! Congrats on a great year!

Hope it's a fun, dramatic MoFo Bowl today. Closest one we've ever had was 10 points (MoFo Bowl III).

And don't forget what you guys are playing for, other than pride:

http://www.movieforums.com/upload/trophy.jpg

TONGO 12-22-13 01:05 PM

......the precious.....

Yoda 12-22-13 01:09 PM

Oy, now they're saying Megatron might not play, and I've got Stafford. Ouch. Especially since the only legitimate alternative free agent QB I might have considered in his place (Cousins) got nabbed about 45 minutes ago.

Between that and MJD being active, I'm having to make a heck of a lot of decisions for the Championship in my other league this morning. SO MUCH DRAMANESS.

TONGO 12-22-13 02:14 PM

1:00 games have started.
This is it. :eek:

I have 4 players going to Jamalles 5.

Brees, Peterson, Dennis Johnson (Hou RB), and KC going now.

He has Luck, Garcon, Jamaal (who scored a td inside the first 5 min of the game already), Julius Thomas, and Witten.

Yoda 12-22-13 02:16 PM

Good luck!

I ended up switching to the DET defense over CAR, and with MJD playing I benched Todman for Crabtree (other options were Brown, Hilton, and R. White; tough choices are the perils of an awesome bench).

Here we go!

TONGO 12-22-13 02:46 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Everytime Ryan Fitzpatrick & Justin Hunter are in the redzone, on my bench, Im just cringing. You all just dont know how close I came to playing them over Brees & Larry Fitz.

TONGO 12-22-13 03:24 PM

Horrible horrible start.

Almost at halftime, and its PP&IM 15.16 to THJ 48.38.

Yoda 12-22-13 03:38 PM

Not a great start, but you've got more going after the 1:00 games than he does. And Brees has done this bad-first-half-leads-to-chucking-the-ball-a-ton thing before. Heck, I think he last did it just two weeks ago.

Yoda 12-22-13 04:07 PM

Apparently it's more or less a monsoon in Carolina now, which makes a comeback tough for Brees.

It also means I probably should've started the CAR defense. D'oh.

TONGO 12-22-13 04:23 PM

Sorry for the bad advice. Im getting smothered over here, and will be shocked if Brees or Peterson can put up their Yahoo projected totals.

I dont think it will really matter who I slotted this week when its all said and done, but Im fighting myself on doing a 180 and slotting in Crabtree over Fitz. Why Im keeping Fitz in there is simply he averages alot more catches than Crabtree i.e. gets more targets.

Yoda 12-22-13 04:29 PM

Don't sweat it, I was leaning Lions anyway, and they might still put up a good total. But yeah, really impressive showing from Carolina, even in a monsoon.

I had plenty of evidence to make the call either way; they're a better D, even if the matchup is tough. And while the Saints put them into negative points a couple weeks ago, that was at home. The Saints are *much* worse against opposing Ds on the road, and the Panthers significantly better at home. On the other hand, the Giants have been horrendous on offense and now they're without Victor Cruz, too. So it really could've gone either way.

Anyway, yeah, you'll need some pretty crazy stuff to come back, but stranger things have happened.

Yoda 12-22-13 05:21 PM

Manning goes nuts late in the game (I'm playing him, naturally) and reaches 51 TD passes for the season, breaking Tom Brady's record with a game to spare. The Broncos also need just 17 points to become the highest scoring team in history.

Brady, in turn, had broken Manning's record of 49 in 2004. And that's actually still the most impressive mark even though it's now the third-highest, because it was done in an era with a lot less passing. That season saw the highest attempt-to-TD ratio of the three, so in terms of pure value it's still probably the best, at least outside of Marino's 48 back in the day.

Factoring in all circumstances, though, I think Manning's 51 (plus whatever else he gets next week) at 37 and after two neck surgeries is probably the most incredible QB season in modern history.

TONGO 12-22-13 05:25 PM

^^^ 100% agree.

Im gonna be rooting for Dennis Pitta like he was the lovechild of Gronk & Graham.

TONGO 12-22-13 06:29 PM

^^^^ Ha ha! 8:11 left in 2nd quarter and Joe Flaccos thrown 2 passes. 2! Neither were to Pitta. They need Tim Tebow.

TONGO 12-22-13 06:31 PM

Wait a minute thats 3 passes now. Just threw a 17 yard pass to Ed Dickson. The other tight end.

Yoda 12-22-13 06:55 PM

Just saw a picture from Seattle. I had no idea you guys had such a cool, football-shaped (that is the idea, yeah?) opening on the one end:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcH0-N5CEAACttT.jpg:large

TONGO 12-23-13 02:28 AM

Good win Justin. It looks like you may win both leagues this year too.

I wish my team showed up to play. Even with Optimal Lineup I couldnt come near what is a very average total of 109ish points. Disgusting.

Now I gotta get 60 points from Anquan Boldin and the San Fran Kicker (too disgusted to look up his name again). If the SF WRs blow down the doors, and me not slotting in Crabtree over Fitz cost me the final, Ill be sick AND disgusted.

So the next 24 hours will be Schrodinger's FFB Final. I can take solace in having no hope of winning, or/and know I screwed myself out of winning the final. Im ready for some baseball.

7thson 12-23-13 09:14 PM

Congrats Justin - great season. Sry Tongs rough finish, but good season overall.

You both do know I would have won it all but for those lousy 4 points. sighness.

Hey it is all I got. Now lets watch the Broncs in the playoffs

jiraffejustin 12-24-13 02:39 AM

I am your king. Bow to me.

77topaz 12-24-13 03:18 AM

Hmm... having never lived in North America, I'm not familiar with this Fantasy Football, and I had in fact never heard of it before stumbling across it here. (Funnily enough, the first Google item on "fantasy football" is in fact an association football game, but I presume you're talking about the ESPN game?) As far as I can tell, it seems like a fairly common club manager game (like a different-sport Soccer Manager - an online game I am in fact familiar with);but, in contrast to most such games (including Soccer Manager), the result is not determined by the game's scripts, but by splicing together real match results somehow?

seanc 12-24-13 11:29 AM

Great season Justin. I bowed, but I am not kissing your ring. Congrats

Yoda 12-24-13 11:33 AM

Congratulations Justin. :) Don't let winning your first time out fool ya': it's a pretty tough league.

Now, I believe we have the matter of a trophy to discuss. PM on the way.

Sedai 12-24-13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 1004715)
Hmm... having never lived in North America, I'm not familiar with this Fantasy Football, and I had in fact never heard of it before stumbling across it here. (Funnily enough, the first Google item on "fantasy football" is in fact an association football game, but I presume you're talking about the ESPN game?) As far as I can tell, it seems like a fairly common club manager game (like a different-sport Soccer Manager - an online game I am in fact familiar with);but, in contrast to most such games (including Soccer Manager), the result is not determined by the game's scripts, but by splicing together real match results somehow?
Fantasy Football is extremely popular, and has nothing to do with ESPN, except that they too host leagues at this point. People played it before the internet became popular, and they would just sit in a room and live-draft before the season started, then using newspapers to collate stats as the season wore on. It wasn't as popular back then, but it was around. Pretty much all the major sports sites have a league hosting service, such as Yahoo (where we play), ESPN, NFL.com, Roto...there are many!

Our cable television providers have channels specifically devoted to Fantasy sports, which is nice, as many of them run all the stats for all the games so you can keep up with your players as the games are played.

There are fantasy leagues for all sports at this point, and we play Football and Baseball here on Mofo.

Oh and...Congrats Justin!

Yoda 12-24-13 11:41 AM

Yeah, the primary virtue is that since it's not simulation the level of realism, so to speak, is built-in. And rather than watch real games and simulated results, they're actually one and the same. One of end results is that people who play fantasy become much more knowledgable about the league as a whole, too.

Powdered Water 12-24-13 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1004008)
Just saw a picture from Seattle. I had no idea you guys had such a cool, football-shaped (that is the idea, yeah?) opening on the one end:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcH0-N5CEAACttT.jpg:large
Yeah, it's got kind of a cool Clock on the outside of it too. They were following a similar design from Husky Stadium that has an open end by Lake Washington. Not sure if they purposely designed it to look like a football. They probably did.