Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Celebrities/Actors you hate irrationally (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62232)

aronisred 08-30-20 04:31 PM

Celebrities/Actors you hate irrationally

Who do you hate for no good reason just by the way they look or their presented personality or the type of roles they fit perfectly/ play often.

For me it's
Anna kendrick - in up in the air she is annoying and quite punchable to be honest.
Maggie Gyllenhaal - just her face is annoying and nepotism in her family also does no good.

GulfportDoc 08-30-20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2120907)
Who do you hate for no good reason just by the way they look or their presented personality or the type of roles they fit perfectly/ play often.

For me it's
Anna kendrick - in up in the air she is annoying and quite punchable to be honest.
Maggie Gyllenhaal - just her face is annoying and nepotism in her family also does no good.
Kendrick does have a rather rodentia look about her. I don't know much about Maggie.

Matt Damon is an actor who I've always felt was overrated. I don't hate the man, but I haven't enjoyed many of his roles. He was, however, good in Ludlum's "The Bourne" movies. I had high hopes for Jeremy Renner, but he wasn't quite as convincing as Damon.

WrinkledMind 09-02-20 05:05 AM

David Walliams. A punchable face if there ever was. I also feel like he might be a rude jerk in person.

Stirchley 09-02-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2120907)
Not nice to punch a woman.

Gideon58 09-02-20 04:15 PM

Off the top of my head:

Gwyneth Paltrow

Jenifer Lewis

JB Smoove

Robert Clohessy

Ken Jeong

Niecy Nash

Gideon58 09-02-20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2121576)

Personally, I think Up in the Air was one of her less annoying performances

honeykid 09-03-20 10:02 AM

Re: Celebrities/Actors you hate irrationally

I don't hate any actors or celebrities irrationally. Each has a perfectly reasonable reason.

Take Whoopi Goldberg for instance. Now, she's Satan and if that ain't a reasonable reason I don't know what is.

Steve Freeling 09-03-20 06:35 PM

I'm drawing a blank. I don't hate anyone for reasons like that.

Gideon58 09-04-20 02:39 PM

You might be taking the word "hate" too literally. I think the OP means is actors you just don't like to watch, actors you think are bad at what they do, actors that you might think don't deserve the career and acclaim they achieve.

scarletxxxx4 09-05-20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2121576)
im a woman and to be honest i think there should be equality between men and women

women are threated like some kind of divine untouchable creatures, is disgusting

but whatever

skizzerflake 09-05-20 11:55 AM

It's interestingly important to separate actors from their roles. If I were inviting one of them to my house for some burgers and beer and did not know them personally, I'd probably invite whoever is the worst villain of the moment, since I'd calculate that they got to exorcise their evil on screen, instead of in real life. As for the unfortunately defamed Anna Kendrick, I'd probably ask her to bring the salad and make a point of having some lite beer, since she appears to be a person of small appetite.

MovieBuffering 09-06-20 08:38 PM

Brie Larson because she hates men lol

Stirchley 09-07-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by scarletxxxx4 (Post 2122334)
im a woman and to be honest i think there should be equality between men and women

women are threated like some kind of divine untouchable creatures, is disgusting

but whatever
I can’t even. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2122629)
Why do you think this?

MovieBuffering 09-07-20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2122799)
I can’t even. :rolleyes:

Why do you think this?
Just google Brie Larson and men. Said she was tired of white men interviewing her wanted to restrict press screenings for just women. Said Captain Marvel wasnt made for men. (her core audience for the flick) And basically her whole self-righteous attitude. That's why it's funny there was a little push to replace her as Captain Marvel online because she isn't a woman of color. Hilariously ironic.

Cobra 10-01-20 12:08 PM

Tom Holland, Brie Larson, Zooey Deschanel, and Pete Davidson

Holden Pike 10-01-20 12:23 PM

The celebrities I hate are totally based on rational reason.

The Rodent 10-01-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2128554)
Same.
Usually if they're labelled as a "celebrity" it's enough for me to completely ignore them tbh.

John Dumbear 11-02-20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2128554)
Michael Jordon
Pete Davidson
Jane Fonda
Will Ferrell
Amber Heard

FromBeyond 09-29-22 12:13 PM

Olivia Wilde

Hardly know who she is but called Jordan Peterson a pseudo-intellectual hero of the incel community, what a brain dead freak.

John Boyega

Stuck with this guy with the face of a nimwit for life because they needed a black face for Star Wars, has nothing about him, no appeal or charisma and goes on a round table with legends like Tom Hanks to discuss film, first thought was oh they needed a black face again because he was way out of depth and then he starts going on about black victim crap almost instantly, vile.

Must be nice being successful based on colour of skin eh.

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2336324)
Olivia Wilde

Hardly know who she is but called Jordan Peterson a pseudo-intellectual hero of the incel community, what a brain dead freak.
Well, isn't he?

Cryptic 09-29-22 12:21 PM

I can't stand Russell Brand. There is just something about him.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:22 PM

Yeah, we're not gonna start arguing about that.

Not that anybody has any real intention of having these arguments, anyway. I've learned the hard way that many users just want to make sure any perceived Bad Opinion is superficially challenged and, once that's done, the discussion unceremoniously ends.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:23 PM

Also, the listing of Wilde does not fit the topic, since you list a reason for the hatred that is presumably, to you, a rational one.

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:26 PM

I don't know, these reasons seem pretty irrational to me.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:31 PM

The issue is what the person themselves considers rational.

And that's quite enough. I'll encourage everyone to remember the No Politics rule. Particularly those who start the "fight," but yes, also those who can't stand the indignity of seeing Wrongthink not met with some facile drive-by challenge.

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:38 PM

Maybe people just skimmed over the word "irrationally" when reading the thread title. I think you have to demonstrate a certain self-awareness in explaining your irrational reasoning (which does feel like an oxymoron) and that does make the whole endeavour seem fundamentally pointless so that's why people settle into just naming people they genuinely dislike.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:43 PM

I think it's kind of hard to respond to the actual topic but people just like to say things, so some of them reply with people they have an ostensibly rational reason for, sure.

The topic seems to be more about people who rub you the wrong way for some unquantifiable and/or unexplainable reason, which I think everybody has, if they're being honest. But yes, that does require some self-awareness.

FromBeyond 09-29-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2336326)
Well, isn't he?
A pseudo-intellectual? No clearly not

A hero to the incel community? Perhaps

But to many others too. Christian Ronaldo, Charlie Hunnam included

Yoda 09-29-22 12:46 PM

Okay, that was less of an escalation than I'd feared, and everyone's had their say now, so I'm just gonna draw the line there and remove any further posts on the topic. Thank you.

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:48 PM

Sorry, should've got that reply in before the boss man showed up.

Anyway, I've seen a couple of people pick Pete Davidson and he seems like a good answer for this - there's nothing overly obnoxious or problematic about him, but it's definitely weird to me that he's become this sort of overnight sensation but the few things I've actually seen him in haven't done anything to convince me that he's a worthwhile screen presence.

FromBeyond 09-29-22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cryptic (Post 2336328)
I can't stand Russell Brand. There is just something about him.
I second that.

Miss Vicky 09-29-22 12:56 PM

The name that leaps to mind for me is George Clooney.

I don't know what it is about him, but I just don't ever want to see him or hear him in anything. He's a decent actor. He's not unattractive. His voice isn't grating, but I generally just can't stand him. I can tolerate him in Burn After Reading, but that's probably because his irritating presence is overshadowed by how awesome John Malkovich, Brad Pitt, and Francis McDormand are in it.

Iroquois 09-29-22 01:01 PM

This thread did make me get around to publishing a thread idea I've at the back of my mind about actors where you don't like any of the films you've seen them in, which might give rise to an ultimately unfounded idea that you dislike them as a person even though correlation does not equal causation. The answer I went with was James McAvoy - no real dislike for the guy, just don't like the films he's been in.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2336344)
Anyway, I've seen a couple of people pick Pete Davidson and he seems like a good answer for this - there's nothing overly obnoxious or problematic about him, but it's definitely weird to me that he's become this sort of overnight sensation but the few things I've actually seen him in haven't done anything to convince me that he's a worthwhile screen presence.
That's a good choice, though I'm unsure if it's irrational or not. He's moderately talented/funny, I guess (the first few segments of his I saw on SNL I really liked), but yes, he seems to have stumbled into a level of fame that has way more to do with gossip and tabloid prurience than his actual work.

The "irrational" part might be that my eye rolling in response is maybe excessive to the "offense" of being famous for dumb things. That might be a way to produce more answers that sorta-kinda fit the topic: people you have a genuine reason to dislike, but the irrationality is how much you dislike them for it.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2336351)
The name that leaps to mind for me is George Clooney.
Amusingly, this is actually what I thought of when I saw the thread title: you, specifically, saying George Clooney. :laugh:

I've often wanted to interrogate (in the non-aggressive sense) this kinda stuff. I'm genuinely very curious why some people bug you (or anyone), particularly when they can enumerate all the usual reasons and rule them all out as explanations. Like you said, he's not a bad actor (though I'd say a very good one), he's not unpleasant to look at (though I'd say very handsome), etc.

Absent specifics my null hypothesis for these kinds of situations is that maybe they remind us of a type of person we don't like, IE: some young guy actor feels like a "frat boy" type, or some older guy like Clooney feels like some remorseless lothario, or whatever.

Torgo 09-29-22 01:24 PM

I'm not sure if anyone knows who he is, but Jon Seda. I hate his character on Homicide: Life on the Street, Dr. Falsone, for how smug, holier-than-thou and for how artificial he is in comparison to his very human co-workers. He reminds me of Poochie from The Simpsons in that he comes across as a character invented by studio heads in an obvious attempt to appeal to younger viewers and we all know how that went. While his character in HBO's The Pacific is sort of "pseudo-saintly," if you will - at least not as much as Falsone - my irrational hatred still made me nauseous whenever Seda was on screen and tainted the experience. The only thing he's in where I don't feel this way is Twelve Monkeys, probably due to a combination of him not playing a character like this and he's mostly unrecognizable in it.

interretiarius 09-29-22 03:34 PM

Denzel Washington. Not as a person, as I cannot know what kind of a person he is. I just can't stand his actorship.

MovieGal 09-29-22 03:59 PM

Bradley Cooper

mrblond 09-29-22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336440)
Bradley Cooper
I second this.

What about:

Brendan Fraser
Owen Wilson
Vince Vaughn
...ugh...

Yoda 09-29-22 04:13 PM

Sounds like this:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336375)
Absent specifics my null hypothesis for these kinds of situations is that maybe they remind us of a type of person we don't like, IE: some young guy actor feels like a "frat boy" type

ueno_station54 09-29-22 04:29 PM

Harvey Keitel and Ron Perlman are the two that immediately spring to mind
edit: oh and Takeshi Kitano too

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336446)
Sounds like this: Originally Posted by Yoda
Absent specifics my null hypothesis for these kinds of situations is that maybe they remind us of a type of person we don't like, IE: some young guy actor feels like a "frat boy" type

Good call. I find that thought more interesting than people just posting actors they hate. I'm curious as to the psychological reasons why someone hates an actor? Though I know it's hard for people to be honest with themselves as it's easier to say I hate them just because.

Anyone want to delve into a deep self probing analyses of why you hate an actor?

*Barring the actors who in real life have done irresponsible/illegal/unethical things, it's a giving why people would hate those actors.

MovieGal 09-29-22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2336444)
I second this.

What about:

Brendan Fraser
Owen Wilson
Vince Vaughn
...ugh...
Don't mind Brendan Frasier

Don't really care for the other two. But definitely can't stand Cooper

Gideon58 09-29-22 05:43 PM

Can't stand this guy:

https://www.themoviedb.org/t/p/w500/...R6AnKVLUUu.jpg

JB Smoove is a dreadful actor, I don't know how he continues to get work.

Or this guy:

https://assets-hvmag-com.s3-accelera...b-clohessy.jpg

First noticed Robert Clohessy on Oz playing a prison guard named Sean Murphy. He has spent the last twelve years on the CBS series Blue Bloods, but I find him all kinds of annoying.

Captain Steel 09-29-22 06:52 PM

I only know JB Smoove from Curb Your Enthusiasm (back when I used to have HBO).
If you can get past the profanity (and let's face it - that's everyone on the whole show), I think he plays off Larry David well.

I don't know him from anything else except recent commercials.

But I do understand... I used to feel the same way about Martin Lawrence (and actually, I can't say Lawrence has done anything to make me feel differently except to become obscure so that I'm rarely reminded of him... except for seeing all the "Bad Boys" movies and its sequels playing on some station 24/7. But I shouldn't judge since the only "Bad Boys" movie I've ever seen was the cool one with Sean Penn!) ;)

beelzebubble 09-29-22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2122629)
Brie Larsen is annoyingly smug and self-righteous but I don't think she hates men. Of course that is just a guess on my part.

Corax 09-29-22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by interretiarius (Post 2336436)
Denzel Washington. Not as a person, as I cannot know what kind of a person he is. I just can't stand his actorship.
https://64.media.tumblr.com/099d5fc6...mai6o1_400.gif

mattiasflgrtll6 09-30-22 12:02 AM

Leelee Sobieski - From the little I've seen I don't like her. She's the worst part of both The Wicker Man and especially 88 Minutes, where she's straining so hard to sound threatening that it's embarrassing. She was fine in Eyes Wide Shut though.

Iris Apatow - I only remember her role in The Bubble despite seeing multiple Judd Apatow movies. And good God, she was so bad in it every moment made me cringe. Please never cast your daughter again, Judd.

Jussie Smollet - Actually haven't seen him in a single thing, but find his personality completely despicable. The stunt he pulled might be one of the lowest things you can do.

Amber Heard - Good God...

Most of the time however I might like someone in movies, just not their real-life personality:

Scott Baio - Bugsy Malone is one of my favorite movies, and despite his character in Happy Days being fairly annoying I don't think he's a bad actor. But please, for the love of God spare yourself the time of looking him up.

Kevin Spacey - I don't think this one needs too much explanation.

James Franco - Don't really understand how he still gets work, but I've liked all I've seen him in at least.

Seth Rogen - Starting to grate on my nerves a little, but wouldn't say I "hate" him. It's not like he's done anything horrifically bad, just find that he's become a bit pretentious. He's still one of my favorite comedic actors working today.

Jon Voight - I love his performances in 24 and Midnight Cowboy.

Mel Gibson - Excellent actor, wouldn't have a coffee with him.

Stirchley 09-30-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2336542)
Leelee Sobieski - From the little I've seen I don't like her. She's the worst part of both The Wicker Man and especially 88 Minutes, where she's straining so hard to sound threatening that it's embarrassing. She was fine in Eyes Wide Shut though.

Iris Apatow - I only remember her role in The Bubble despite seeing multiple Judd Apatow movies. And good God, she was so bad in it every moment made me cringe. Please never cast your daughter again, Judd.

Jussie Smollet - Actually haven't seen him in a single thing, but find his personality completely despicable. The stunt he pulled might be one of the lowest things you can do.

Amber Heard - Good God...

Most of the time however I might like someone in movies, just not their real-life personality:

Scott Baio - Bugsy Malone is one of my favorite movies, and despite his character in Happy Days being fairly annoying I don't think he's a bad actor. But please, for the love of God spare yourself the time of looking him up.

Kevin Spacey - I don't think this one needs too much explanation.

James Franco - Don't really understand how he still gets work, but I've liked all I've seen him in at least.

Seth Rogen - Starting to grate on my nerves a little, but wouldn't say I "hate" him. It's not like he's done anything horrifically bad, just find that he's become a bit pretentious. He's still one of my favorite comedic actors working today.

Jon Voight - I love his performances in 24 and Midnight Cowboy.

Mel Gibson - Excellent actor, wouldn't have a coffee with him.
Iris Apatow is terrific in Euphoria.

WHITBISSELL! 09-30-22 05:37 PM

Hate is a strong word. There are plenty I find annoying starting with Amber Heard. She proved it in a court of law though. Also Brie Larsen comes off as smug along with Whoopi Goldberg and Gwyneth Paltrow. I find Pete Davidson's stardom inexplicable as well. Plus he looks like walking hepatitis. Unfairly or not Olivia Wilde seems to generate controversy. There's something about Bradley Cooper as well. If Clooney was in more stuff he'd be a lot more annoying. And there's several whose politics I don't like but their worldview has either consigned them to the sidelines or is rooted in some kind of resentment over not getting any work.

Stirchley 09-30-22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2336772)
Hate is a strong word. There are plenty I find annoying starting with Amber Heard. She proved it in a court of law though. Also Brie Larsen comes off as smug along with Whoopi Goldberg and Gwyneth Paltrow. I find Pete Davidson's stardom inexplicable as well. Plus he looks like walking hepatitis. Unfairly or not Olivia Wilde seems to generate controversy. There's something about Bradley Cooper as well. If Clooney was in more stuff he'd be a lot more annoying. And there's several whose politics I don't like but their worldview has either consigned them to the sidelines or is rooted in some kind of resentment over not getting any work.
Brie Larsen has a YouTube channel & she’s not in the least “smug”. Very down-to earth & relatable.

Davidson does have a health condition, which, I suppose, he can’t help.

If anyone generates controversy, it’s Wilde’s ex who served her with custody papers when she was on stage. :rolleyes:

MovieGal 09-30-22 06:37 PM

I don't care much for Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Jason Leigh

beelzebubble 09-30-22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336785)
I don't care much for Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Jason Leigh
And you hate Bradley Cooper. Now I know how to torture you. I'll just play Silver Linings Playbook over and over again. Muwahahahah!

John Dumbear 09-30-22 07:32 PM

I liked "Silver Linings Playbook". Thought that was their best roles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MovieGal 09-30-22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2336797)
And you hate Bradley Cooper. Now I know how to torture you. I'll just play Silver Linings Playbook over and over again. Muwahahahah!
My sister threatened me with that.

He looks like a proboscis monkey to me.

I love Susanne Bier as a director but her movie Serena killed me. F**king Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was pure torture.

beelzebubble 09-30-22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336809)
My sister threatened me with that.

He looks like a proboscis monkey to me.

I love Susanne Bier as a director but her movie Serena killed me. F**king Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was pure torture.
I forgot about Serena. I never saw it. It got a lot of bad press.

MovieGal 09-30-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2336810)
I forgot about Serena. I never saw it. It got a lot of bad press.
I love Susanne's other movies. I love Danish cinema.

Citizen Rules 09-30-22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336809)
...I love Susanne Bier as a director but her movie Serena killed me. F**king Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It was pure torture.
I like Jennifer Lawrence OK, but hell yes Serena sucked! I reviewed it and said this:

Wow, this movie blew! If your a fanboy of Jennifer Lawrence you might like it as she's in most every scene and all dolled up with a streak of nasty too. She's not bad in the role either it's just that the story is lame. No wonder this has a low IMDB rating of 5.4. If you don't have a Jennifer Lawrence crush don't bother with it. The only good thing I can say about is it's only 109 minutes long, but those 109 minutes crawl.

My rating

MovieGal 09-30-22 11:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@beelzebubble @Citizen Rules

Look Ma, twins!!!

Citizen Rules 09-30-22 11:27 PM

Ha! now that's funny:D

MovieGal 10-01-22 05:10 PM

Just thought of another I definitely can't stand.

Oliver Jackson-Cohen.

He's a d**k in everything I have seen. Don't care if he's meant to be one because he is one!!

WrinkledMind 10-03-22 04:38 AM

I don't hate her. But I find Aubrey Plaza scary. Maybe it's down to Legion, or how she comes across in interviews, but there's something about her that makes me uncomfortable. Not in a 'she is a bad person' way. She is probably cool in real life. But something about her feels creepy and unsettling.

It's weird because I have a massive crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who kind looks similar to Miss Plaza.

mattiasflgrtll6 10-03-22 10:35 AM

That's just down to Plaza having a very deadpan and sarcastic sense of humor. She plays it as straight as she possibly can, which makes her jokes even funnier.

Stirchley 10-03-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2336801)
Terrific movie.

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336844)
@beelzebubble @Citizen Rules

Look Ma, twins!!!

Awww, that’s kinda mean.

MovieGal 10-03-22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2337474)
Terrific movie.

Awww, that’s kinda mean.
All these women fawn over him. I don't know why? To me, he looks like that monkey.

beelzebubble 10-03-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2336801)
I do too. I have a crush on Bradley Cooper and love Jennifer Lawrence and it takes place in my neighborhood. It is awfully fun to see your neighborhood on film.

ARGMAN 10-24-22 11:08 PM

Will Farrell
Emma Stone
Daniel Craig
John Manca
Harrison Ford

Stirchley 10-26-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2337497)
I do too. I have a crush on Bradley Cooper and love Jennifer Lawrence and it takes place in my neighborhood. It is awfully fun to see your neighborhood on film.
How cool. I feel the same way about them.

dadgumblah 11-17-22 05:41 AM

Seth Rogen. Don't hate him, just really don't like him for some reason I can't explain.

Stirchley 11-18-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 2346935)
Seth Rogen. Don't hate him, just really don't like him for some reason I can't explain.
In all his movies he’s always Seth Rogen.

Kid Dynamite 11-19-22 02:11 PM

Tom Arnold

I_Wear_Pants 12-05-22 07:02 PM

None because I never hate irrationally and it seems kind of superfluous to hate people I've never met.

Gideon58 12-05-22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ARGMAN (Post 2342281)
Will Farrell
Emma Stone
Daniel Craig
John Manca
Harrison Ford
Who's John Manca?