Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Films You Love, But Everyone Else Hates (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=25170)

MovieMad16 03-15-11 04:16 PM

Films You Love, But Everyone Else Hates

I want to know what films you really like or Love, yet everyone around you hates. And i mean general opinion of critics and film fans.

TylerDurden99 03-16-11 04:00 AM

Re: Films You Love, But Everyone Else Hates

I really like Hulk, as some other MoFos do, but the critics BASHED this one.

I also liked Transformers 2, The Beach, The Godfather Part III & Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

linespalsy 03-16-11 10:50 AM

I second Ang Lee's Hulk. I love that movie.

I also am quite fond of Speed Racer.

There are several Brian DePalma films that I'm sure qualify. I love The Black Dahlia. Like both Mission to Mars (probably not well-known enough to be universally hated) and Bonfire of the Vanties (probably derided even more than Hulk).

I also like Ishtar and Sharkboy and Lavagirl (which I saw in 3-D with a few friends and we literally had the theater all to ourselves).

chipper 03-16-11 10:54 AM

i like Face Off... :o everyone thinks it's silly but oh well, i like the silliness

zeedeevil 03-16-11 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 718439)
I really like Hulk, as some other MoFos do, but the critics BASHED this one.

I also liked Transformers 2, The Beach, The Godfather Part III & Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I hate Hulk. :D

The Beach is one of my favorite films of all time, so I'm with you on that one.

Gunny 03-16-11 03:29 PM

Pearl Harbor

MadMikeyD 03-16-11 05:33 PM

Paul Blart: Mall Cop is my biggest one.

I could also say:
Hulk
The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Spawn
The Fantastic Four movies
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Speed Racer wasn't bad either. There's lots more, I'm sure.

MovieMad16 03-16-11 06:35 PM

Godfather Part III i think is generally well liked now, although people say it doesn't hold up to the first two for which i also agree.

Star Wars Episode I i like, and no angry Star Wars nerd will change that. **** logic, its Star Wars. Indy 4 is one i also didn't mind. Why do people hate Indy 4 i don't know ?

Monkeypunch 03-16-11 08:53 PM

Star Wars Episode 1, definitely. Also Popeye, Howard the Duck, Superman 3 (Richard Pryor is in it! ), MacGruber, and Batman and Robin. Some fun stuff there.

MovieMad16 03-16-11 09:07 PM

MacGruber NO WAY! That film as many other SNL films are in my eyes awful, except Blues Brothers.

MadMikeyD 03-16-11 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMad16 (Post 718538)
MacGruber NO WAY! That film as many other SNL films are in my eyes awful, except Blues Brothers.
I thought Wayne's World was good too, but most of them are terrible.

linespalsy 03-16-11 09:36 PM

Forgot about Popeye, good call Monkeypunch!

planet news 03-16-11 11:33 PM

Wow, a lot of love for Hulk. ^_^ I rewatched it a few months ago after seeing it the first time when it came out, and I must agree that it is a fascinating film in dire need of a reassessment---especially in light of its godawful Norton reboot.

And yeah, I've never really understood the cool critical response to Mission to Mars either. It is a very singular alien film in my opinion. The final act is extremely elegant.

Nightowl 03-17-11 12:44 AM

superman 3 and4
batman forever
batman androbion
catwomen
dragon ball evloution
frquency
power ranger moive

Monkeypunch 03-17-11 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMad16 (Post 718538)
Well, you're just proving my point. A lot of people hate the film, but I loved it. I laughed so hard at that I missed a lot of dialogue. :D

rauldc14 03-17-11 01:25 AM

Well for starters Wedding Crashers and Jumper though there are many, many more.

wintertriangles 03-17-11 03:13 PM

Jumper????

Originally Posted by planet news (Post 718552)
And yeah, I've never really understood the cool critical response to Mission to Mars either. It is a very singular alien film in my opinion. The final act is extremely elegant.
I used to rent that and Red Planet all the time when I was a little tyke

moviegoddess 03-17-11 08:57 PM

crank 2, death race, transformers, she devil, heartbreakers...and ths one is split 50/50..number 23

HollyG 03-17-11 09:52 PM

Constantine
Superman
Adam Sandler Films :p

planet news 03-17-11 10:22 PM

WHICH 'Superman'? I think the first one is almost universally loved, but the sequels were progressively hated upon more and more with each release.

HollyG 03-18-11 01:17 AM

Sorry I meant Superman III. I love Richard Pryor,that man can make any film enjoyable for me :)
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/ph.../superman3.jpg

honeykid 03-18-11 02:48 AM

That's easily my favourite one, but then, I really don't care a jot for Superman.

moviegoddess 03-18-11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gunny (Post 718488)
Pearl Harbor

i second pearl harbor...that is one of 2? maybe 3, ben affleck films..

Bruce Lee 03-18-11 11:55 PM

XANADU 1980 roller disco Olivia Newton-John fiasco...love it.

Plainview 03-19-11 12:10 AM

I also liked Pearl Harbor so maybe everyone doesn't hate it.

rauldc14 03-19-11 03:07 AM

I personally don't mind Pearl Harbor either, interestingly enough.

rauldc14 03-19-11 03:08 AM

Click is another film that I think a lot of people dislike. I say for a comedy its pretty good.

meatwadsprite 03-19-11 03:22 AM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RzKq7bPXgvP9RQ

Love is probably too strong a word.

planet news 03-19-11 03:27 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4AyKFyk2cx..._podracing.jpg

Plainview 03-19-11 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite (Post 718991)
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RzKq7bPXgvP9RQ

Love is probably too strong a word.
Its not my favorite Star Wars film but I have love for all six of the SW films. Its Star Wars how can you hate it.

Harry Lime 03-19-11 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Plainview (Post 719168)
Its Star Wars how can you hate it.
Did you not see this post directly above yours?

Originally Posted by planet news (Post 718993)
I don't really hate it, but man I would like to punch that little son-of-a-bitch...George Lucas.

Miss Vicky 03-20-11 12:00 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...to_smoochy.jpg

TylerDurden99 03-20-11 03:05 AM

http://hotmovienow.com/images/wyhiwidu.jpg

I LOVE this film. It might be my favourite Ridley Scott film.

It does drag a bit when Julianne Moore is on screen, but I love the entire Florence chapter, just superb.

replayback 03-20-11 06:32 PM

They Live is awesome, but I have friends who walked out during the nine-minute fist-fight. (ok I sort-of see their point)

But Mission to Mars is pure crap.

humpakistani 03-24-11 02:27 AM

i love the film Cars but i think the most of the people around me hat this movie so i don,t know why

linespalsy 03-24-11 10:19 AM

No Such Thing (Hal Hartley, 2001). 36/100 on metacritic and I love that movie unreservedly.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kPeAM6xFPR...osuchthing.jpg

wintertriangles 03-24-11 11:02 AM

That looks so cool

linespalsy 03-24-11 01:38 PM

You should check it out, wintertriangles. That and Hartley's Amateur (if you haven't seen it).

JayDee 03-29-11 04:38 PM

There are a lot that I could come up with and will try to do so at some point.

The first one that comes to mind however is The Faculty with Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett among others. I'm not even sure why I really like it but I just find it to be extremely good fun.

Monkeypunch 03-29-11 10:08 PM

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content...e1-535x532.jpg

It's looking like I'm the only one who loved Sucker Punch.

wintertriangles 03-29-11 10:22 PM

Oh thats out? Need to go

Paris18 03-30-11 10:30 PM

Armageddon. Think it's so much better than everyone gives it credit for (minus the horrible science involved but that's a whole different story).

I'd also say Titanic...though I still don't think it's as good as the Academy does. But it's a lot better than people give it credit for today.

wintertriangles 03-30-11 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paris18 (Post 720794)
I'd also say Titanic...though I still don't think it's as good as the Academy does. But it's a lot better than people give it credit for today.
Why? Because it capitalized on hundreds of people dying through not focusing on the disaster at all but a stupid, fake love story that just happened to end because one of them drowned?

Paris18 03-30-11 10:45 PM

Why? Because it capitalized on hundreds of people dying through not focusing on the disaster at all but a stupid, fake love story that just happened to end because one of them drowned?
I agree, it could have focused on the event as a whole a little more. However, if you think of it as in the sense of a love story- it's a very good one.

mark f 03-31-11 12:59 AM

Titanic does actually focus on the deaths of over a thousand people, just as Schindler's List focuses on the deaths of millions of people. It's just that both films focus on survivors too. Now, I'm not here to say which survivors are real or not, but survivors did exist during both events. I know some people (inexplicable to me) who dislike Schindler's List because ALL the Jews DID NOT DIE. Apparently they wanted a film with no survivors. They're probably all Godard fans...

ash_is_the_gal 03-31-11 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 720797)
oh that's right. movies aren't for entertainment purposes!

planet news 03-31-11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 720797)
At the same time, the film provides a class commentary on the nature of the ship itself through the romance. What is the movie on all its levels? A history second. A romance first. But even more than that: a class-subverting romance behind it all---the thing which ties together both the history and the romance into a singular, tragic dream. Now, I will not attempt to claim some kind of implied irony on behalf of Cameron, but it's precisely his decision to have Jack die along with the ship that makes the movie so true on both its apparent and ironic levels. One of the key details that seals the deal for me in respect to the film's intentional dramatic balance for the romance and overall narrative of the ship is how the impact with the iceberg precisely coincides with Jack and Rose making love for the first time.

But yeah, Schindler's List is obscene.

Brodinski 03-31-11 06:43 AM

I love Due Date.

Ugo Strange 04-03-11 03:19 AM

Spider-Man 3. I think Topher Grace was an excellent choice for Venom because he was the anti-Peter Parker, he was confident, more in control and knew how to play the game. In the 3rd movie Venom wasn't so much as a BIGGER threat like he is in the comic book, but a dark analogue of the person Peter Parker was becoming. That's why I liked it. BUT don't get me wrong...I hated all the extra crap.

the_fateful_amy 04-03-11 02:28 PM

I really loved Sucker Punch even though Rottentomatoes gave it a score of 20%. From the reviews I've read, everyone is hating on this film and I don't know why. It's a popcorn action movie that's really fun :) Was everyone expecting it to be Shakespeare?

Anyway, I dragged my girlfriends along with me and they all hated it. Not a single one of them are into action movies at all which kinda sucks but I'm definitely going to see it again!

Ugo Strange 04-03-11 08:45 PM

I still need to see "Sucker Punch" BUT I can tell you 100% that I'm not expecting Shakespeare when someone like Zack Snyder is directing a movie that he himself wrote. The trailer gave us everything we pretty much need to know: Hot chicks, Insane asylum, hot chicks, fantastical locations and fights scenes and hot chicks.

I've always said I'd go and see any movie if it was honest about what I was getting for my money. When I went to see "300" I wasn't going in expecting to see a historically accurate depiction of an ancient battle, I was going in expecting "THIS IS SPARTA!" and that's what I got and I loved it ! Then again, I have yet to see "Sucker Punch" but my expectations aren't looking for "Citizen Kane" here.

By the way I think I neglected to mention hot chicks.

the_fateful_amy 04-04-11 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ugo Strange (Post 721402)
By the way I think I neglected to mention hot chicks.
The Hot Chick on the other hand was a movie I hated LOL

Ugo Strange 04-04-11 02:37 AM

Rod Schneider movies are hated by everyone.

TylerDurden99 04-04-11 07:21 AM

http://www.movie-list.com/posters/big/zoom/copout.jpg

the_fateful_amy 04-05-11 12:14 PM

And just because now I'm allowed to post video (lol) I found this short film on Youtube that I liked that someone out there probably didn't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKdKci8kg4

quint 04-24-11 10:17 AM

Waterworld

I don't know if people hated it, but overall, it got really bad reviews. Yes, there were alot of implausable things that happened, ( i.e., Mariner taking Helen to the ocean floor in a balloon) But sometimes you've simply got to suspend logic and disbelief in order to enjoy a movie.

Pans and razzies aside, I enjoyed it. A cool adventure.

Tyler1 04-24-11 10:40 AM

I really like the Resident Evil films. 1 and 2 were just awesome. The critics hate them.

gandalf26 04-24-11 08:55 PM

Dreamcatcher

TylerDurden99 04-24-11 09:29 PM

I liked Norbit.

BumbleBee 04-25-11 12:15 AM

I wouldn't say EVERYONE hated it, but a vast few do.

Daredevil (2003)

Northpoint 04-26-11 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by BumbleBee (Post 724247)

Daredevil (2003)
I honestly really like the Daredevil Director's Cut. It's still a top ten film in that genre. Why the studio didn't release that cut from the start is beyond me.

JayDee 04-26-11 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BumbleBee (Post 724247)

Daredevil (2003)
Quite enjoyed Daredevil and the directors cut is a big improvement though I'd still have it behind a lot of films in the superhero genre

ballstouweboll24 04-26-11 01:41 PM

I thought Daredevil could have been a lot better. Its a watchable film, Ben Affleck was fine Colin Farell and Jennifer Garner were forgettable to be honest (thats just me by the way)

The Fourth Kind. (says really fast then hides) I liked it!!

TeaTot 04-27-11 04:01 PM

What immediately popped into my head after this question was Dinner For Schmucks, sure it was predictable but I thought it was sweet and pretty funny compared to most new films, but it was a resounding 'meh' from my friends and critics. Would like to get my paws on the original...

Also 2008's Hush as I normally hate thrillers but my heart was in my mouth the whole time.

rawr420 04-28-11 11:00 AM

interveiw with a vampire or something like that...great movie that many ppl didnt like

TheEpicEffect 04-29-11 01:46 AM

Call me a douche, but I can't get enough of MacGruber. Hilarious as all hell to me, but I seem to be terribly alone on that one.

TylerDurden99 05-27-11 09:27 PM

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images.../X-Men%203.jpg

Deadite 05-27-11 09:43 PM

Howard the Duck.

Monkeypunch 05-27-11 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Northpoint (Post 724429)
I honestly really like the Daredevil Director's Cut. It's still a top ten film in that genre. Why the studio didn't release that cut from the start is beyond me.
Because it was an R. That's box office death for "super-hero" films because all the teens who the film is marketed to can't get in. They wanted another Spider-Man, and didn't get it.

That said, I did enjoy the directors cut a LOT more than the theatrical, but both would have been vastly improved by 100% less Evanescence. That band is horrible. :D

filmgirlinterrupted 05-28-11 12:49 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_668a2HqWjR...wilderness.jpg

I laughed my ass off when I watched this for the first time. And the second time. And, yes, the third time. It has a Critic's score of 0% and a User's score of 35% on RottenTomatoes. But it's one of my favorite comedies to date!

TylerDurden99 05-30-11 05:47 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CRaELAS168...erman%2BIV.jpg

quixdraw 05-30-11 05:57 AM

i liked 'el topo' while my fiends hated it.

officevinnu 06-01-11 02:39 AM

all parts of spiderman

akatemple 06-01-11 05:27 PM

The Beach
Versus
Constantine
PLUNKETT & MACLEANE
Mind Hunters

honeykid 06-01-11 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by akatemple (Post 732147)
Mind Hunters
You have an ally here, akatemple. I really like Mindhunters. Even JLM being in it isn't enough to stop me watching it.

akatemple 06-01-11 08:32 PM

oh yeah and Moulin Rouge

Godoggo 06-01-11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by akatemple (Post 732211)
oh yeah and Moulin Rouge
I liked Moulin Rouge, The Beach, and Constantine. We must like a lot of the same movies that no one else does.:)

Oldboy 06-02-11 02:30 PM

The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

planet news 06-02-11 02:54 PM

You got me there. I massively hate that film despite the presence of Mos Def and fairly decent realization of the imagery (especially the look of the guide itself). There was already plenty of comedy in that book without added "hip" comedy. There was also plenty of a plot without the need of a distinct and pervasive villain.

Also, loved the BBC series despite how cheap it was.

KasperKristensen 06-02-11 03:14 PM

Jersey Girl, Dogma, Clerks 2, Cop Out you get the gist.

honeykid 06-02-11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by KasperKristensen (Post 732489)
Clerks 2, Cop Out you get the gist.
I'm with you on those two.

Is Dogma hated? I've heard little but praise for it.

rauldc14 06-02-11 09:10 PM

Jumper- solid entertainment to me, who cares about the realism of it all

The Lucky Ones- underrated performances and really just a fun movie

Man on Fire- maybe not as much hatred for people, but I think it's a great movie

Deadite 06-02-11 10:06 PM

The Village.

Deadite 06-02-11 10:47 PM

Oh, and Natural Born Killers.

It's a ******* work of art.

honeykid 06-02-11 10:54 PM

Couldn't agree more. Love that film. Especially these two scenes.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/nat...illersr402.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mD5cvhck9a...01--film-A.jpg

Plainview 06-02-11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 732667)

People hate Natural Born Killers, I love that film.

Lanikai 06-02-11 11:37 PM

People hate "Staying Alive" (1983), but I looove it!
Some people don't like "Fargo" - I can't really understand why.
I think it's a great movie.

Godoggo 06-02-11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 732667)

Count me in as another one who loves that movie.

TylerDurden99 06-03-11 04:28 AM

I'm another person who thinks Natural Born Killers is a masterpiece. Oliver's best.

The Prestige 06-03-11 11:40 AM

Hmm, I don't care for Natural Born Killers, does absolutely nothing for me. I can't think of anything redeeming about it.

Deadite 06-03-11 02:01 PM

Edmond,

The Devil's Rejects,

and Hostel.

igor_is_fugly 06-03-11 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 732663)
The Village.
Agreed! I think quite a few of M. Night Shyamalan's movies have recieved undeserved hatred, although I admit he's definitely going down hill. What the hell was with that scene in Devil where the security guard drops that donut or bagel or something and it lands face down and, totally serious, he claims it as proof of the devil?...:laugh:

Oh, and mine's Vanilla Sky. What I find interesting about this movie is that everyone who watched it when it first came out HATED it but everyone who I've forced to watch it in the past couple of years have LOVED it. Weird.

Deadite 06-03-11 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by igor_is_fugly (Post 732825)
Agreed! I think quite a few of M. Night Shyamalan's movies have recieved undeserved hatred, although I admit he's definitely going down hill. What the hell was with that scene in Devil where the security guard drops that donut or bagel or something and it lands face down and, totally serious, he claims it as proof of the devil?...:laugh:

Oh, and mine's Vanilla Sky. What I find interesting about this movie is that everyone who watched it when it first came out HATED it but everyone who I've forced to watch it in the past couple of years have LOVED it. Weird.
Agreed on Vanilla Sky. I was totally engrossed on first viewing, but on a recent rewatch I don't think it held up quite as well. Can't say I love it, but I still think it's pretty cool.

Deadite 06-03-11 02:45 PM

As for Night, I like all his movies. Even Lady in the Water, though I do think it was somewhat weak. The Happening was by far his weakest, in my opinion.

igor_is_fugly 06-03-11 03:07 PM

Yea, I liked Lady in the Water too. I'd say Devil was slightly weaker than The Happening though. I think The Happening had a slightly cooler concept and better death scenes.

Deadite 06-03-11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by igor_is_fugly (Post 732832)
Yea, I liked Lady in the Water too. I'd say Devil was slightly weaker than The Happening though. I think The Happening had a slightly cooler concept and better death scenes.
I haven't seen Devil or Airbender yet. They're in my netflix queue.

Godoggo 06-03-11 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by igor_is_fugly (Post 732832)
I'd say Devil was slightly weaker than The Happening though. I think The Happening had a slightly cooler concept and better death scenes.
M. Night did Devil? That was possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

kkapowski 06-07-11 04:53 PM

The Butterfly Effect

filmgirlinterrupted 06-07-11 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 732819)
Edmond,

The Devil's Rejects,

and Hostel.
You're not alone, I really enjoyed The Devil's Rejects :highfive:

bighuey 06-08-11 09:11 PM

Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell. Its the kind of a movie to bring you out of a depressed mood. Funny as Hell.