Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ScarletLion's Movie Log (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47917)

ScarletLion 01-30-17 08:20 AM

ScarletLion's Movie Log

I figured that given I am watching so many movies at the moment, I :

1) Was clogging up the "Rate the Last Movie you watched" thread with my mini reviews.

2) Need a single place to keep all the rants, praise and general wiffle that I spout.

If anybody comments on my scribblings then thanks. If not, no hard feelings as I'm going to scribble them anyway. I may even do a "Favourite 100 movies" at some point too. Cheers

First up 'Paths of Glory' (1957) :

Kubrick's early movies all seem to be ahead of their time. The camerawork and general imagery in 'The Killing' and '2001' were decades ahead of everybody else. Paths of Glory is no exception. The "over the top" scene was pretty incredible as the camera followed Colonel Dax out of the hole into almost certain death. The move itself was incredibly emotional at the end and just summed up the 'absurdity of war'. I'd go so far as to say it's probably in the Top 15 or 20 WAR movies that I have seen for sure. I wouldn't say it's the most exciting, but it certainly makes you shake your head in disbelief. Based loosely on a true story it depicts man's insanity at the heart of battle. And does it very well.

I actually thought George McReady stole the show. He was terrific as General Mireau and outshone everybody, even Kirk Douglas. Kubrick was 29 when he directed this. Pretty amazing maturity to make something as adult and as intelligent as this movie. It's also amazing to think that this, in my opinion, isn't even Kubrick's best war movie.

A true great. 8.5/10

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3aubmFWAAEN3h_.jpg

the samoan lawyer 01-30-17 08:30 AM

Re: ScarletLion's

Paths of Glory is brilliant, great start!! Cant really go wrong with Kubrick.

ScarletLion 01-30-17 08:32 AM

Re: ScarletLion's

Cheers. Really enjoyed it. One of those big well known movies that I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched yet. There'll be a few of t in this thread.

Oh and I kind of mucked up the thread title, but there you go. It's just 'all mine' now.

the samoan lawyer 01-30-17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1634605)
Cheers. Really enjoyed it. One of those big well known movies that I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched yet. There'll be a few of t in this thread.

Oh and I kind of mucked up the thread title, but there you go. It's just 'all mine' now.

I'm the same, loads of movies I should have seen but haven't yet. Wouldn't have it any other way though would ya?

Make sure you keep this updated

Chypmunk 01-30-17 08:44 AM

Nicely written up and a good film to start with :up:

(hope you don't mind me scribbling something in here even though I don't have the initials SL anywhere in my usename ;))

ScarletLion 02-01-17 06:41 AM

http://i.imgur.com/nIQEvfX.gif http://i.imgur.com/4pWEeyl.gif

'American History X'

I've always been keen to watch this as it's highly rated. Edward Norton's performance stood out as extremely strong and brought back memories of the excellent 'Primal Fear'. Even Furlong was convincing (not an actor I particularly admire). The message was quite clearly spelled out at the end as we read Danny's paper. And that is...... hate doesn't work.

As I was watching it, it became quite clear that:

1) It is a very important film and I can imagine that the reason it's held up so well is that the message is so vital to take on board in order to make society stand up and realise what society should be, and that no matter what "justification" there appears at the time, violence just breeds violence.

2) Unfortunately, the message hasn't got through and the implications of the character's actions still mirror everyday life. I'm sure I don't need to rant anymore about the films moral and how it relates to current affairs, so I won't.

The transformation / 'rehabilitation' of Derek Vinyard was fascinating to watch. I think it all begins when he sees the hypocritical nature of the skinheads in prison (buying drugs from the very people they are supposed to despise) - showing that the neo-nazi bravado is just a sham.

I have 1 question:
WARNING: "Question" spoilers below
The character of 'Lamont' - the black prison inmate that leads to Derek's transformation - How much influence does he really have? And does he have any connection with the 'crips' (the black gang that eventually kill Derek's younger brother?

I thought it was an extremely good watch; although the early basketball scene had the completely wrong tone (felt like something out of Rocky when it needed to be more sinister). So there were minor flaws but overall I'd say it's a movie everyone should have on their lists. It would probably make my Top 100.

8.5/10

Camo 02-01-17 06:47 AM

American History X is one of my least favourite films ever; i think it's horribly heavy handed and it's way of getting across it's stupidly simple message is disgusting. Glad you liked it though, the reps were mainly for you starting the thread because i think i'll like future entries.

ScarletLion 02-01-17 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1635560)
American History X is one of my least favourite films ever; i think it's horribly heavy handed and it's way of getting across it's stupidly simple message is disgusting. Glad you liked it though, the reps were mainly for you starting the thread because i think i'll like future entries.
I think it's purposefully heavy handed. There are plenty of other films that deal with the message in subtler ways.

Miss Vicky 02-01-17 06:55 AM

Re: ScarletLion's Movie Log

I have to agree with what Iro said when I reviewed it in my log - it played like an after school special. Good performances and I like the look of the film, but the content just wasn't there.

ScarletLion 02-02-17 05:42 AM

http://i.imgur.com/840KRVR.gif

'A Separation' (2011)

An example of what happens when a couple of white lies snowball into tragedy. It's a study of the human condition more than anything, and the impulsive not compulsive tendency to say and do whatever your instinct tells you.

The subservient nature of women's attitude to men in this film (and in Iran in general) is interesting, as the female lead breaks from that - making the story unfold in the first place. After she does that there's a conflict and a series of events that spiral a little out of control.

I thought there was an annoying flaw in the dialogue, with too many examples of the two protagonists always sarcastically answering a question with a question, like :

"You're not being fair!"
"Oh really, I'm not being fair?"

This seemed to happen every scene in which they were arguing, but it's only a minor detail.

One thing I will say, is that even though I don't speak Persian, the acting in this movie seemed rather incredible. I know very little about the actors used but it genuinely seemed that the casting department had just put the camera in a corner of a real family's apartment at times. Astonishing stuff - so much so that I'm willing to say that I cannot imagine the same all round performance given by a western cast. Every single character was just so real it was something else - even the old man who barely says a word. This tends to be the case with many foreign language movies - I wonder if I would be quite so enthusiastic if I could speak the language. Who knows.

Anyway, I find that while this is a very compelling movie with a fantastically ambiguous ending, although it is slightly overrated in some quarters. I'd give it about 7.6/10

ScarletLion 02-02-17 10:22 AM

http://i.imgur.com/YgIfIsE.jpg
'The Mirror' (1975)

This is my first Tarkovsky film. And I have to say that even if I didn't quite understand all the meanings of the Russian literature and poetry combined with the history of society, I will watch more Tarkovsky films on the strength of the visuals alone. That may sound stupid to some, but I kind of let the entire experience seep into me, as it was clear early on that it would be a difficult film to watch in any sort of traditional manner. So I've not got much to comment on as regards any sort of plot, structure or meaning, safe to say that I enjoyed the "experience" that this film gave me. One of the 10 best looking films I've ever seen.

Miss Vicky 02-02-17 10:54 AM

I watched A Separation for a Hall of Fame and I thought it was excellent. I agree that the characters felt very real. I also really liked that it didn't paint anybody as either hero or villain, but just all flawed humans.

ScarletLion 02-03-17 07:06 AM

A rather odd double bill for me last night:
'Edge of Seventeen' (2016)

http://i.imgur.com/Af1Eei3.jpg

I needed some light relief to watch and wasn't expecting much from this. But I giggled my way through this sharp scripted one and in the end it did surprise me. It's a bit different from you're regular coming of age movie in that it shows that everybody has problems not just the young protagonist. Hailey Steinfeld was absolutely brilliant as the bumbling and unpopular junior (why she was unpopular I don't really know - she seemed a hoot). Woody Harrelson was also a joy to watch in this movie.

I thought the ending brought it down a mark or 2, as it was disappointingly slushy and predictable. But I really enjoyed the overall journey. 7/10

'Persona' (1966)

http://i.imgur.com/UCviVPY.jpg

All that light relief ended when I switched this on. It's one of the best Head***k movies I've ever seen and am still not really sure I fully understood the meaning of it. What I took from it, is that us as humans adapt to different people and situations and therefore we all have a split personality to some degree, as we use our "personas" at different moments. Bergman uses some gorgeous shots to make his point - the angles that he films the two female leads are so intelligent and really see the 2 characters meld together both physically on screen and metaphorically, as the usage of repeat dialogue and confusing imagery appear. He also made the score sound effective because alot of the film is silent, so when we hear some of the beautiful, eerie string sounds they stand out.

Those that think it is a pretentious art film probably need to take a step back and see just how much it might have influenced others. I can imagine that this movie inspired such movies as : 'Enemy' and 'Fight Club' and even 'Donnie Darko' and 'Shutter Island'. All with similar themes. I'd give this 8/10.

Camo 02-03-17 07:52 AM

A Separation is one of my favourite films, my second favourite from this decade after The Master. Glad you liked it even though you don't as much as i do.

The Edge of Seventeen was good. Not fantastic though i agree with your write-up. Persona i need to see again, i watched it while very tired i do remember liking it though.

ScarletLion 02-03-17 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1636335)
A Separation is one of my favourite films, my second favourite from this decade after The Master. Glad you liked it even though you don't as much as i do.

The Edge of Seventeen was good. Not fantastic though i agree with your write-up. Persona i need to see again, i watched it while very tired i do remember liking it though.
Did you agree about the ending in Edge of 17 though? It really disappointed me, the movie was heading for an 8 out of 10 before that.

Camo 02-03-17 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1636336)
Did you agree about the ending in Edge of 17 though? It really disappointed me, the movie was heading for an 8 out of 10 before that.
Yah, it wasn't good. Honestly don't think it affected my rating much though. I gave it a
+ so about the same as you did.

Miss Vicky 02-03-17 10:17 AM

Persona is excellent. :up:

ScarletLion 02-04-17 05:11 AM

http://i.imgur.com/dL6Qh4O.jpg
'45 years'

I wasn't expecting much from this for some reason. But it turned out it was perfect Friday night film fodder.

WARNING: "plot and ending" spoilers below
The bombshell worked well in the fact that they'd been living a 45 year lie. Everything thy'd shared together was basically a fallacy, which I thought was great concept. I'm not entirely sure why the realisation hits her at the very end scene, as it should really have hit her way before that. I guess the pomp of the dinner hall and dancing just got to her and was perhaps the best example of the falsehood of their relationship.

Charlotte Rampling was her usual fantastic self, but I thought Tom Courtenay hammed it up a bit, especially in the first act when he played the bumbling, mumbling old gent.

Overall a good solid British movie about relationships.

ScarletLion 02-05-17 06:27 PM

'Y Tu Mamá También' (2001)

http://i.imgur.com/8HYFQ35.png

Life just doesn't turn out the way you think it will. Dealing with that bobmshell is difficult, but this movie just explained in 2 hours why life is unexpected, brilliant, tragic and uplifting - and you can't plan what is going to happen. It's gone straight into my top 100. I absolutely loved it. There are goofy parts but they didn't take away from the message. The movie is simply about death and loss in my opinion, but to tell it in such an affirming and relatable way is huge credit to Cuaron. I probably need to let the film sink in as I've literally just finished watching. But for now I'd rate it as high as 8.5/10. Superb.

Little Devil 02-05-17 06:37 PM

Great movies you have there. You show a good sensibility to aesthetics.

I have to re-watch The Mirror and I'll add Persona to my *to watch list*.

M;any thanks for this.

ScarletLion 02-05-17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Little Devil (Post 1638047)
Great movies you have there. You show a good sensibility to aesthetics.

I have to re-watch The Mirror and I'll add Persona to my *to watch list*.

M;any thanks for this.
No worries. And thanks.

I've got some crackers lined up this week. Will love to know the Mofos thoughts as usual.

cricket 02-05-17 06:50 PM

I didn't think much of Y Tu Mama when it first came out but I loved it when I recently revisited it.

ScarletLion 02-05-17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1638051)
I didn't think much of Y Tu Mama when it first came out but I loved it when I recently revisited it.
The 3rd act is brilliant. What a way to sew up a movie.

Okay 02-05-17 08:22 PM

I didn't like The Edge of Seventeen as much as you did, and I do agree that its ending was its biggest weakness. They really dropped the ball there.

ScarletLion 02-07-17 05:51 AM

Another odd double bill last night:
The fall (2006)

http://i.imgur.com/o0MVCd4.png

This movie has featured quite frequently in lists of the most beautiful movies of all time. I can now see why. It is absolutely mind blowingly beautiful to watch it unfold. I have no idea what sort of timeframe it took Tarsem Singh to plan, develop and finalise this project but I read that it was filmed in 18 different countries, and I’m not surprised. The sweeping shots of sand dunes, mountains, temples, forests, islands and everything in between truly takes you to a magical mythical place which I’m sure is the intention. It’s a bout an injured, heartbroken stuntman and a girl in hospital recovering from a broken arm. Minor spoilers ahead:

The trouble is – It doesn’t really go anywhere. It feels like a living, breathing Ron Fricke documentary that just sort of fizzles out. There was one moment where I thought it might get interesting and we find out that the little girl is actually on her deathbed and is imagining everything as her real father comes to visit her by her bedside. But it’s far more linear than that and just seems to be a story of how 2 patients at a hospital are getting each other through tough times. (Unless I’ve completely been whooshed by a plot device somewhere along the line.) We see at the end that they are both still in recovery as they watch a moving picture film - and she probably idolises the stuntman in every film she’ll ever watch again. But it’s hardly a “pay off” or a resolution. I like ambiguous endings but this didn’t even provide an ending of any sort really. Inevitably, there will be accusations of “style over substance” as a consequence. Which in this case is quite fair.

That said, I can’t help but admire it for its’ ambitious nature, and I wouldn’t disagree with anybody that said it is one of the most visually striking movies of all time – and that alone is enough to ramp its’ score up a notch………..7/10

‘Wendy and Lucy’ (2008)

http://i.imgur.com/ZdKxtgY.png

This is why I love movieforums.com . Somebody reviewed this on the “Rate the last movie you watched” thread, and being a fan of Michelle Williams I had to give it a go. She really delivers. The girl can act, and the best part of it is that she knows when not to overact. Her mannerisms in this film are excellent because she spends half the movie it chaotic bewilderment as she tries to find her lost dog.

Yes it’s a minimalistic movie. Yes it’s quiet, subdued and downbeat. But you can’t ignore that part of life. And this film showed a side of struggling that a lot of movies don’t. It was like a slice of a drifter’s life, 3 days in time that we peek into and then forget about. Who cares we don’t find out what happens to her, that’s not the point.

So thank you to whoever brought this to my attention last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus it had Bonnie Prince Billy in it. Which was just weird.

I’m off to check out more of Kelly Reichardt’s films, probably starting with’ Meek’s Cutoff’. Meanwhile I’d give this a 7.5/10

Camo 02-07-17 05:54 AM

Really glad you liked Y Tu Mama Tambien. I just nominated it for the 12th Hall of Fame here.

That's the only one i've seen since my last comment, really want to see Wendy and Lucy though as i love Reichardt. Meek's Cutoff, Night Moves and Certain Women are all very good.

ScarletLion 02-07-17 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1639229)
Really glad you liked Y Tu Mama Tambien. I just nominated it for the 12th Hall of Fame here.

That's the only one i've seen since my last comment, really want to see Wendy and Lucy though as i love Reichardt. Meek's Cutoff, Night Moves and Certain Women are all very good.
I need to get on this hall of fame stuff.

Miss Vicky 02-07-17 08:27 AM

Shame you didn't enjoy The Fall more than that. Have you seen The Cell?

ScarletLion 02-07-17 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1639276)
Shame you didn't enjoy The Fall more than that. Have you seen The Cell?
I have not. But heard good things. Will check it out soon.

7/10 isn't a bad score btw!

Miss Vicky 02-07-17 08:57 AM

I didn't even look at the rating, just read the not so favorable review. I love The Cell, but wouldn't suggest any of Tarsem Singh's other work. Except maybe the music video for R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion.

Camo 02-07-17 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1639240)
I need to get on this hall of fame stuff.
I need to get off it, i can never not join them now haha.

ScarletLion 02-07-17 06:53 PM

'In the Mood for Love' (2000)

http://i.imgur.com/9UxDOOZ.png

Beautiful Film. It felt like it was from the 1950s. Brilliantly played by the 2 leads and an absolutely terrific 3rd act. The absence of what are essentially the 2 villains is fabulous - as was the playing out of the adulterous actions by the protagonists that made you think you were watching something else in various scenes. 8/10

'The Squid and the Whale' (2005)

http://i.imgur.com/LawaG5y.png

I had no idea it would be such a poignant, funny, sensitive and memorable film. The script was sharp the cast made it. A real insight into Noah Baumbach's young psyche I suppose. The humour was as dry as I can remember. I've seen a couple of Woody Allen films and in some parts it reminded me of them. Also loved the 'in movie movie' of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet".

Enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Chypmunk 02-07-17 07:10 PM

In The Mood... is a lovely film, gets the same rating from me.

ScarletLion 02-08-17 06:01 PM

'Irreversible' (2002)

http://i.imgur.com/uIoaWSt.jpg

Well that was a tough watch. There's not many movies I've watched where I've had to look away from the screen but I did during this. After the first 20 minutes I thought that it might be a gratuitously violent art film. But I was wrong. As it unfolds it becomes more and more tense and increasingly meaningful. Loved the nod to kubrick and the subtle hints at what's come before in terms of the philosophical side of time / art.

No doubt it will be compared to Memento as it came before, but this is a great film in itself. Even with Vincent Cassell's hilarious goof when he calls himself by his own name instead of the character's. The infamous scene will always get talked about but that shouldn't distract from what is a really interesting movie. I particularly liked the constant references to time, fate and how we think we can change what's going to happen but some things are written in the stars.

One of those movies that I won't be in a hurry to watch again soon, even though I really enjoyed it. 8/10

ScarletLion 02-09-17 09:42 AM

'Cinema Paradiso' (1990)

http://i.imgur.com/fHkXCHg.gif

Ah what a beautiful film. It's another classic that I've shamefully never got round to seeing. Until now. I didn't see the Director's cut, just the theatrical Blu-Ray and it was really lovely.

It's another of those movies that aims to show that 'life jut doesn't plan out the way you think it will" etc but it is very well done with expert photography. Even the very first shot resembled a cinema screen with the curtains drawing.

Had a bit of dust in my eye at the end. 8.5/10

ScarletLion 02-09-17 03:20 PM

'Wadjda' (2012)

http://fan-force.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/W4.jpg

Heard good things about this. On first reflection I'm a bit disappointed. I commend the film-makers for getting something out there which must have had considerable hurdles, but we still have to look at it objectively, and it just didn't quite hit the mark for me. I think it would have worked better as a short as there was so much dialogue that just seemed a bit drawn out. It's a very interesting subject matter, I just feel certain elements were hammered home too much.

6.5/10

ScarletLion 02-10-17 08:36 AM

I'm wading through Kurosawa bit by bit when I get the chance. This was certainly quite different to most of his output that I've sen. But just as good. As ever he's a master of the camera. I loved the way he used slow moving shots to make scene s feel more poignant and that the focal character really was contemplating. Also liked the use of sounds to convey points - some almost felt like jump scares. I can imagine it was quit something to witness in 1952.

Overall it's a simple message about the bittersweet ironies in life, and how altruistic actions can really make a person feel like they're living life to the full. I think though that there's probably a deeper, more spiritual meaning at play here which I could probably only truly appreciate if I was exposed to Japanese culture / life.

8/10

Chypmunk 02-10-17 08:55 AM

Sadly I never got past the first few minutes of Irréversible when I went to watch it, that nightclub scene just started to give me a headache. Hopefully one day I'll get to experience it.

Ikiru is a gem imho.

Loving the varied viewing!

ScarletLion 02-10-17 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1642267)
Sadly I never got past the first few minutes of Irréversible when I went to watch it, that nightclub scene just started to give me a headache. Hopefully one day I'll get to experience it.

Ikiru is a gem imho.

Loving the varied viewing!
Thanks. I strongly suggest you re-visit Irreversible. It has a nauseating first 20 minutes for sure but the film really pays off by the end.

Chypmunk 02-10-17 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1642275)
Thanks. I strongly suggest you re-visit Irreversible. It has a nauseating first 20 minutes for sure but the film really pays off by the end.
I will do someday - at least next time I'll be ready for the sensory assault of both light and sound :)

FromBeyond 02-10-17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1639228)
‘Wendy and Lucy’ (2008)

http://i.imgur.com/ZdKxtgY.png

This is why I love movieforums.com . Somebody reviewed this on the “Rate the last movie you watched” thread, and being a fan of Michelle Williams I had to give it a go. She really delivers. The girl can act, and the best part of it is that she knows when not to overact. Her mannerisms in this film are excellent because she spends half the movie it chaotic bewilderment as she tries to find her lost dog.

Yes it’s a minimalistic movie. Yes it’s quiet, subdued and downbeat. But you can’t ignore that part of life. And this film showed a side of struggling that a lot of movies don’t. It was like a slice of a drifter’s life, 3 days in time that we peek into and then forget about. Who cares we don’t find out what happens to her, that’s not the point.

So thank you to whoever brought this to my attention last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
That was me and you are most welcome, I enjoyed reading your review and pleased you enjoyed it. I found that movie because I wanted to see a dog themed movie but got a lot more than that, I enjoyed it especially as I can relate so well to that situation

Have you seen the movie Hacksaw Ridge yet ? :D

ScarletLion 02-10-17 12:06 PM

'The beat that my heart skipped' (2005)

http://www.cineoutsider.com/reviews/...thatheart1.jpg

I'm a fan of Jacques Audiard, he's one of those directors that I aim to watch whatever he puts out because I know it has a good chance of being very good. So I'm catching up on his filmography. This is just as good as the rest. It's violent but has a sentimental streak running through it. Romain Duris gives a superb, almost 'young de Niroesque' performance as the lead who has some very important choices to make. I'd recommend this film from a master of French crime drama. 7.5/10

ScarletLion 02-10-17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 1642344)
That was me and you are most welcome, I enjoyed reading your review and pleased you enjoyed it. I found that movie because I wanted to see a dog themed movie but got a lot more than that, I enjoyed it especially as I can relate so well to that situation
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I haven't stopped thinking about it all week.

Have you seen the movie Hacksaw Ridge yet ? :D
No comment.

ScarletLion 02-11-17 07:23 AM

'Mystery Road' (2013)

http://i.imgur.com/s1WvB9t.png

Small Outback town in Australia. Murder of a young girl. Elements of race, drugs, poverty, sex, violence and your typical gorgeous photography come together to form a nice but not groundbreaking drama. No Country for Old Men meets The Proposition. Hugo Weaving is a very very good actor.

7/10

ScarletLion 02-11-17 10:46 AM

'The Devil's Backbone' (2001)

http://i.imgur.com/zR1zden.gif

History repeats itself, and we as a species don't learn. How appropriate. I thought this was a fantastic movie. It might not be as good looking as Pan's Labyrinth but it actually might better. The backdrop of the war is the history and the ghosts are the metaphor for us not learning and the cycle repeats itself time and time again. Superbly crafted by Del Torro, it didn't drop in pace, tension or beauty one single bit

I really enjoyed this. The ending was brilliant too.

8.5/10

Camo 02-11-17 02:48 PM

Glad you liked In The Mood For Love so much :up:.

It felt like it was from the 1950s.
It's a 60's Period-FIlm so close. It reminds me of Mad Men in that what the characters are wearing, their hairstyles, etc, bring so much to the film at least for me. When Maggie Cheung first wears that red dress is one of my favourite parts of the film. Mad Men is my second favourite show after The Sopranos so it's no wonder i liked it so much.

I feel similarly to you about Wadjda. Godoggo nominated it for a Hall of Fame here and i liked it but something felt a bit off about it; think your complaints could have been it. It's a very important film though so i'm glad i watched it.

ScarletLion 02-11-17 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1643230)
Glad you liked In The Mood For Love so much :up:.

It's a 60's Period-FIlm so close. It reminds me of Mad Men in that what the characters are wearing, their hairstyles, etc, bring so much to the film at least for me. When Maggie Cheung first wears that red dress is one of my favourite parts of the film.
Yeah but it had the feel of a movie that was actually made decades ago too. I hope you know what I mean by that, I can't really explain it.

cricket 02-11-17 03:19 PM

I agree with your feelings on The Devil's Backbone but liked Wendy and Lucy a bit less.

Still need to see In the Mood for Love!

Chypmunk 02-11-17 03:45 PM

I agree The Devil's Backbone is a decent enough story pretty well executed.

cricket 02-11-17 03:49 PM

I'm a little sick of ghost stories but it's cool being set in a different time and place.

ScarletLion 02-11-17 05:43 PM

'Lonesome Jim' (2005)

http://i.imgur.com/pDT4PY8.png

I wish Steve Buscemi directed more movies. This wasn't a great movie but it's one of the funniest I've seen in a long while. Casey Affleck plays a down on his luck affable loser type struggling to find the meaning of life. But he's struggling for struggling's sake, and the movie does well not to make it a downbeat experience. It does he opposite, the humour is a sort of 'American Graffiti' , 'Dazed and Confused' meets 'Happiness' style comedy. And it works. It made me laugh out loud more times than any movie has recently. Oh and Liv Tyler was utterly beautiful in 2005.

7/10

Camo 02-11-17 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1643242)
Yeah but it had the feel of a movie that was actually made decades ago too. I hope you know what I mean by that, I can't really explain it.
I do and i think that was a major aim of the filmmaker so it was a major success with you. Everything together; the music, dialogue, performances, every visual as in every single item you could see whether it was a characters clothing or a piece of funiture or whatever, was placed to try and create the feeling of a past time specifically; the 60's. If you felt like this movie felt like it was made decades before it actually was then it was a major success with you, and i'm with you for the record.

ScarletLion 02-13-17 05:23 AM

'The Deerhunter' (1978)

http://i.imgur.com/yKxG9uL.jpg

This movie often features in the "Greatest ever" war movies or some such list. I do feel it is a movie worth watching but also feel it is overrated. The main reason for this is the pacing. It feels so disjointed. The first act is over an hour long, in which we learn all about their current, working class lives. Then within 5 minutes of the second act, our heroes have been to war and been captured. It just felt like Michael Cimino didn't have the budget to film the war scenes he wanted so the entire 2nd act was rushed.

Obviously you can't ignore the iconic, horrifying scenes that the movie is infamous for, or the acting by Walken and de Niro. But I think overall I'd give it 7/10 due to the long winded 1st act and slightly bizarre pacing. Good but not great.

Chypmunk 02-13-17 05:48 AM

I love The Deer Hunter, I'd certainly never argue against anyone saying it's drawn out in places but personally I have no issue with the brevity or lack of war scenes as those salient to the human drama that unfolds are all in place and the war serving as both backdrop and context is enough for me without it potentially distracting from that story.

ScarletLion 02-13-17 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1645372)
I love The Deer Hunter, I'd certainly never argue against anyone saying it's drawn out in places but personally I have no issue with the brevity or lack of war scenes as those salient to the human drama that unfolds are all in place and the war serving as both backdrop and context is enough for me without it potentially distracting from that story.
Yes, I think the movie is strong enough in the right places to be considered a good movie, but I was just surprised by how quickly we were thrust into the harrowing war scenes after such a long drawn out first act.

Chypmunk 02-13-17 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1645374)
Yes, I think the movie is strong enough in the right places to be considered a good movie, but I was just surprised by how quickly we were thrust into the harrowing war scenes after such a long drawn out first act.
Only Cimino would know for sure but for my take is it helps avoid potentially distracting from the principal story as already mentioned and also perhaps an attempt to quickly convey the disorientation, shock and complete contrast that the characters must feel between the two.

ScarletLion 02-13-17 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1645376)
Only Cimino would know for sure but for my take is it helps avoid potentially distracting from the principal story as already mentioned and also perhaps an attempt to quickly convey the disorientation, shock and complete contrast that the characters must feel between the two.
It certainly came across as utterly horrifying so it worked on me. Some of the hunting scenes in this movie were absolutely gorgeous by the way. The mountains and scenery etc.

Camo 02-13-17 02:19 PM

I don't like The Deer Hunter much, partially for the reasons you stated. Would probably give it
+ mostly for the performances.

cricket 02-13-17 05:40 PM

I first saw The Deer Hunter around 1982 when I was about 11. It seems strange now that I loved it at that age. I still love it, but there's a lot of people that strongly dislike it.

ScarletLion 02-14-17 08:02 AM

I watched this as someone mentioned it in another thread (along the lines of Danny Dyer starring in an Oscar winning film! :D)

It was very well shot for a 20 minute short, you can tell Andrea Arnold has a gift for film-making and I really want to check out more of her films, especially 'Fish Tank'.

It's on youtube, so worth 20 minutes of your time if you're at a loose end.

Camo 02-14-17 09:38 AM

It was me who mentioned it :D. Yeah, i thought it was pretty good. Was bleak as hell but i usually really like bleak British films. Arnold is great, i've liked everything she's done. Fish Tanks would be my least favourite but i still like it; haven't seen her Wuthering Heights.

ScarletLion 02-14-17 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1646505)
It was me who mentioned it :D. Yeah, i thought it was pretty good. Was bleak as hell but i usually really like bleak British films. Arnold is great, i've liked everything she's done. Fish Tanks would be my least favourite but i still like it; haven't seen her Wuthering Heights.
Excellent. We seem to have the same taste in British films. Have you seen the excellent 'The Selfish Giant' ?

Camo 02-14-17 10:03 AM

Never heard of it. It looks good, will try and see it soon.

ScarletLion 02-14-17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1646521)
Never heard of it. It looks good, will try and see it soon.
I absolutely loved it. I think you will enjoy it too. It has a very Ken Loach feel to it.

ScarletLion 02-15-17 05:25 AM

'Under the Shadow' (2016)

http://i.imgur.com/BC0MqFj.gif

I'd heard great things about this, with some movie critics even calling it the best film of 2016. It wasn't. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad film. It is very well made and the two female leads are extremely convincing. Where I had trouble was:

WARNING: "slight" spoilers below
-The sheer amount of metaphors for terror/oppression that we are getting. The missile, the crack in the roof, the book, the garage door, her dead mother, the husband, the doll, the djinn ghost, the mute kid, the door slamming, the tape on the windows, the locked drawer etc etc etc

They all jumble up in to one big metaphor of oppression and terror that she experiences. Which is fine but it was just too overbearing.

Maybe I over-analysed this movie in looking for one single thing that was driving her to have a breakdown, when it was all of the things she was experiencing in her life. I'm not sure, but it just felt muddled and I felt that Babadook was a better movie of this kind of subject. Disappointed 6/10

Derek Vinyard 02-15-17 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1635555)
http://i.imgur.com/nIQEvfX.gif http://i.imgur.com/4pWEeyl.gif

'American History X'

I've always been keen to watch this as it's highly rated. Edward Norton's performance stood out as extremely strong and brought back memories of the excellent 'Primal Fear'. Even Furlong was convincing (not an actor I particularly admire). The message was quite clearly spelled out at the end as we read Danny's paper. And that is...... hate doesn't work.

As I was watching it, it became quite clear that:

1) It is a very important film and I can imagine that the reason it's held up so well is that the message is so vital to take on board in order to make society stand up and realise what society should be, and that no matter what "justification" there appears at the time, violence just breeds violence.

2) Unfortunately, the message hasn't got through and the implications of the character's actions still mirror everyday life. I'm sure I don't need to rant anymore about the films moral and how it relates to current affairs, so I won't.

The transformation / 'rehabilitation' of Derek Vinyard was fascinating to watch. I think it all begins when he sees the hypocritical nature of the skinheads in prison (buying drugs from the very people they are supposed to despise) - showing that the neo-nazi bravado is just a sham.

I have 1 question:
WARNING: "Question" spoilers below
The character of 'Lamont' - the black prison inmate that leads to Derek's transformation - How much influence does he really have? And does he have any connection with the 'crips' (the black gang that eventually kill Derek's younger brother?

I thought it was an extremely good watch; although the early basketball scene had the completely wrong tone (felt like something out of Rocky when it needed to be more sinister). So there were minor flaws but overall I'd say it's a movie everyone should have on their lists. It would probably make my Top 100.

8.5/10

Best movie ever right here :up: nice review buddy :) Ed Norton performance is out of this world

For the spoiler: Nope he is not with the gang.

ScarletLion 02-15-17 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1647409)
Best movie ever right here :up: nice review buddy :) Ed Norton performance is out of this world

For the spoiler: Nope he is not with the gang.
Thanks for that. I always wondered why you were called Derek Vinyard, then within like 5 minutes of this movie starting I was like "Oh that's why the poster on MOFO is called Derek Vinyard". I am now at peace.

ScarletLion 02-15-17 11:57 AM

'The French Connection' (1971)

http://i.imgur.com/wRsiB2D.jpg

Another classic. I really liked this. It felt very real, as if I was taking a tour of New York City with some cops. And some of the shots were lovely to look at. There were flaws, the biggest one was the scene in the underground car park where Roy Scheider's character literally bumps into the criminal Sal Bocca and exchanges words - I thought at the time Scheider was a dirty cop. That scene was a bit muddled. But the rest of it, wow it was brilliantly edited and acted. Gene Hackman is a bona fide hollywood legend.

The way Freakdin creates a mystery within a mystery is also great. He leaves us with little tantalysing images of French advertsiments, French logos, and the "word connection" etc I expect he was having fun with us, but I enjoyed his shennanigans.

All in all a really enjoyable cops and robbers turn with little Hollywood sentimentalism or cliches to be seen.

8.5/10

Chypmunk 02-15-17 12:18 PM

Superb film :up:

cricket 02-15-17 09:41 PM

I've got to see that again. I love a lot of movies from that director but The French Connection isn't one of them yet.

ScarletLion 02-16-17 09:00 AM

'Other People' (2016)

http://i.imgur.com/lgAusPW.png

This is a movie that deals with alot of common themes; family life, difficult news, dealing with sexuality, life and death. And it does them quite well. Jesse Plemmons is rather good as the main character, and Molly Shannon is excellent as the mum. It was very funny in 2 or 3 places but the constant product placement got on my nerves - maybe that's how the movie was financed, but every 5 minutes there was a mention of pepsi, jc penney or applebee's etc It will not break any cinematic moulds but is ok for a gentle nights movie viewing.

6.9 cup cakes out of 10.

ScarletLion 02-17-17 07:02 AM

'The Horseman' (2008)

http://i.imgur.com/UhHhb4x.jpg

I saw this mentioned in another thread and thought it looked worth visiting. It was a violent and gritty revenge flick but in all honesty too far fetched. Basically like a more dramatic, less cheesy Australian version of Commando. Disappointing 5/10

I was keen to look at a couple more Kenneth Lonergan movies after enjoying 'Manchester by the Sea' so much. It's long and slow (150 mins) and half way through I did wonder where it was going, consequently it does ebb and flow.. Having said that, on reflection after completing the film it is actually a pretty interesting character driven piece that explores personality dynamics in families and guilt and closure. Anna Pacquin does an amazing turn as the awkward teen, if a little hystrionic at times, and it's far more than a coming of age story.

Jeannie Berlin is also very good as Emily the deceased's friend, although is only marginally more neurotic than the rest of the characters.

I will say that it has one of the most powerfully beautiful endings I've seen in a long time. Lonergan sure knows how to captivate an audience.

I stuck with it and it delivered. 8/10

the samoan lawyer 02-17-17 08:30 AM

I've not seen Margaret but like you, after watching and loving Manchester by the Sea, its definitely piqued my interest. Glad you enjoyed it.

Chypmunk 02-17-17 08:50 AM

Yeah, The Horseman really isn't very good, more like a
for me.

ScarletLion 02-19-17 03:35 AM

I'v not seen many Jim Jarmusch films. Dead Man was ok but here's always something ethereal and dream like about them. Paterson is the same in that it meanders along with repetitive scenes, dialogue and features. I enjoyed the overall premise, and the notion that anyone can be a poet or an artist if they have it in them.Some of the characters were almost Lynchian and some of the shots were like a Terrence Mallick movie.

I felt a little frustrated though that it took 2 hours to get to this. Maybe it was because I expected the themes (Twins, black and white, waterfalls) to link up in some way. I guess that's for us to work out. Maybe it means that there is a ying to your yang if you look hard enough or that there is a perfect version of you in there somewhere if you let it out. All in all, I wasn't 100% sure what the deeper meaning of it all meant. Maybe that's my error though.

A nice dreamy movie but I'm not sure it hit the high notes 6.5/10

ScarletLion 02-20-17 08:58 AM

A very impressive debut from Anna Rose Holmer. I watched this on a recommendation of a friend and I have to say I thought it was excellent. Especially from a first time feature length film-maker.

It is a coming of age story but developed as an abstract like tale. There are large parts with no dialogue and no music. What little score there is features creepy, unsettling sounds yet we are centered on a community hub for youths and a dance troupe. It all makes for compelling viewing with a fantastically filmed ending. The young lady who plays the lead is also surely destined for greater things (Royalty Hightower).

This film won't be for everybody. It tells it's story in unusual ways. But I recommend it. 8/10

ScarletLion 02-22-17 08:34 AM

Jules Dassin's 1950s Noir thriller is set in Paris and right from the outset, we are transported into this dark world of "hoods" where loveable rogues and femme fatales dance, drink smoke and plot cunning plans to rob jewelers and banks.

The film centres around Tony, Jo and Mario who plot to commit the perfect crime. The first and third acts are the human, emotional elements where we see families, lost lovers, loneliness and regret. This, in turn, explains why the characters act like they do. But what is remarkable about this film is the second act that features the heist scene. During this scene, we hear creaks, screwdrivers, drills, sighs, coughs, knocks, footsteps; but there is not a word spoken, nor a hint of music for around half an hour (a quarter of the film's running time). This scene where we see the characters carry out their cunning plan is surely one of the most tense, daring and captivating scenes in noir cinema. It's a huge compliment to Dassin's craft that an audience can remain so hypnotized and charmed by this eerily gratifying sequence, the likes of which are few and far between in today's cinema.

The amount of films that seem to have directly benefited from Rififi are endless. It reminded me of Reservoir Dogs, The Killing, The Sting, Ocean's Eleven and perhaps even HEAT and Mission Impossible. That should be enough to note how inspirational and influential this movie is.

The main message may be an often repeated one, which seems to be that crime doesn't pay, but the way in which it is told (not least from Jo's wife who claims that Jo's poverty stricken friends who didn't turn to crime are the real tough guys) sets it apart from others. The fact that it doesn't follow the glorification of crime that other heist / noir movies can sometimes do is also a huge bonus.

There are flaws. It may have borrowed certain aspects from 'The Asphalt Jungle', and the editing in some scenes is far from perfect, with some scenes cutting rather abruptly, but surely we can forgive that for a film that is over 60 years old.

Rififi is a must see.

Chypmunk 02-22-17 08:53 AM

One of my favourite films :up:

Camo 02-22-17 08:58 AM

Rififi is the first i've seen since The French Connection. Not a fan really, don't think anything was wrong with it it just didn't really work for me.

the samoan lawyer 02-22-17 09:02 AM

Love Rififi.

cricket 02-22-17 08:29 PM

Rififi is my favorite 50's noir. It would be my favorite from 1995 as well;)

Camo 02-22-17 08:30 PM

haha. Had no idea what you were talking about for a moment there.

ScarletLion 02-23-17 05:28 AM

'Like Father, Like Son' (2013)

http://i.imgur.com/E1ty8gg.jpg

Hirokazu Koreeda's work has been recommended to me by a few people, and I'm ashamed to say this is the first of his movies I have seen. Based on 'Like Father, Like Son' I am now in a rush to see a few more. It is an excellent film that deals with raw human emotion. But the genius is the way Koreeda shows us that emotion. There are beautiful looking films and then there are just beautiful films. This falls into the latter category.

This story centres around receiving the inexplicable news that your child was swapped at birth and your real child lives a few miles away ion the next town. That's a horrific thing for anybody to deal with but Koreeda doesn't show us the hysterical scream fits that both mothers would have no doubt had, he instead deals with the inner turmoil and pain that anyone in this position would no doubt feel. Questioning yourself to understand if you could have done something different. Examining your morals and your judgments on others.

The main protagonist is Ryota, expertly played by Masaharu Fukuyama. Through his journey we see that he has to learn alot about his role in the family even though he thinks he has made it as the main breadwinner with a high powered job. The use of pianos, kites and robots are all fantastic mechanisms to enable us to see how he views his "son", and the level of expectation placed upon him. In one scene towards the end in particular (you could very loosely call it a reveal scene) the emotions become too much for Ryota and we finally see him learning and accepting what his role in the family should ultimately be. How Koreeda manages to weave this into the plot is just masterful film-making.

It's such a simple concept - child swapped at birth = tragedy. But not many people could write a screenplay and direct a 2 hour feature on the turmoil and upheaval of family life based around it. Koreeda manages it, and also enables every single actor in this movie to nail their roles. Great film

the samoan lawyer 02-23-17 08:52 AM

Sounds good. Added to watchlist. Nice work Scarlet.

ScarletLion 02-23-17 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer (Post 1654522)
Sounds good. Added to watchlist. Nice work Scarlet.
Don't forget to let me know what you thought of it.

ScarletLion 02-24-17 05:29 AM

'Meek's Cutoff' (2010)

http://i.imgur.com/JqXYqnC.jpg

I had high expectations of this movie, namely because Kelly Reichardt is a Director that comes with alot of recommendations. It's a Western at heart and follows the decision makings of 3 families and the guide that's taking them to safety through the Oregon desert. It looks lovely, it sounds lovely and Michelle Williams, Paul Dano and Bruce Greenwood give superb performances. I enjoyed the sparse dialogue. But there was something that just didn't click with me. I don't mind the non-closure. I don't mind the minimalistic feel and slow pace, but I do feel that there was just a little bit of substance missing. The isolation, the xenophobia, the hardship, the fear of these times was captured beautifully. There was just not enough of it.

Unfortunately the movie didn't really live up to my expectations, I guess they were a bit high, but that won't stop me checking out more of Reichardt's films. 6.5/10

Camo 02-24-17 05:37 AM

I like it a bit more than you but it's my least favourite from her so far. Night Moves>Certain Women>Meek's Cutoff.

ScarletLion 02-24-17 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1655313)
I like it a bit more than you but it's my least favourite from her so far. Night Moves>Certain Women>Meek's Cutoff.
Night Moves and Certain Women are next for me in terms of Reichardt. I also want to see 'River of Grass' which looks interesting.

Camo 02-24-17 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1655317)
Night Moves and Certain Women are next for me in terms of Reichardt. I also want to see 'River of Grass' which looks interesting.
I'd be surprised if you didn't like Night Moves after reading your posts here. Not sure about Certain Women though, i'm more interested in what you'll think of that.

ScarletLion 02-24-17 03:24 PM

'The Double' (2013)

http://i.imgur.com/34tbThy.jpg
Richard Ayoade is a very talented man. He's a funny comic and a good director. His first feature, 'Submarine' was a lovely tale about handling the harsh realities of being young. 'The double', however is basically a retelling of Dostoyevsky's novel. It's also a bit of a homage to a mixture of inspirations such as Gilliam, Fincher, Lynch and Wes Anderson.

Jesse Eisenberg and Mia Wasikowska deliver nice performances here, but I'm afraid I'll have to resort to the cliche of "I didn't find myself caring about them much" to ram home the flaws in the Direction. Perhaps we're not supposed to care about them but then that leaves little else to engage with. This film came out the same year as Denis Villeneuve's 'Enemy'. But that film (though not based on Dostoyevsky) was so much more engaging because it lured you into the mystery and made you want to find out why things were the way they were.

The Double is a bit of a let down as it is just so unoriginal. Have we seen these bubbling up in a plot before?

Dystopian corporate culture - check
Themes of dopplegangers - check
Old striking faces to instill dread and claustrophobia - check
Odd Dream sequences - check
Lead character scorned by parents - check
Overbearing soundtrack - check
Very fast paced witty dialogue - check
Social misfit trying to fit in - check

It all melds into a huge crockpot of unoriginality that however nice it is to look at, never gets off the ground because of the forced nature of the storylines. That means that every 5 minutes, something in the back of your brain is twitching, saying, "oh that reminds me of Fight Club", or "that was similar to Brazil". It eventually distracts the viewer from the action which is a shame.

I still like Ayoade and the lighting in this film is used masterfully though. Some of the photography is a joy to look at. Yellows, greys and white lights are used very well in almost every scene with some luminous blues and reds chucked in for good measure to add to the dystopian feel/

It's about time Ayoade directed something else, I'm convinced he has at least 1 great film in him.

This wasn't it though -

ScarletLion 02-26-17 03:55 AM

'Frances Ha' (2012)

http://i.imgur.com/zRLjDwC.gif

Noah Baumbach's neat little film about growing up in New York is quaint and quirky. I can understand why someone would think it's a bit of second rate Woody Allen rip off, but I just took it for what it was and really enjoyed it. Greta Gerwig is great as the lead, and the goofyness or aloofness just adds to her character rather than detract. Some characters are spoilt, some are unlikeably care free, some are pious and pretentious. But then that's what some people are like.

If I was to be hyper critical I'd say that the third act just announces itself rate abruptly on our laps, and could have done with a few more scenes to bed in, especially given the movies' short running time. But that' a minor quibble. Baumbach's films continue to entertain me.

I found it charming, quirky, unusual, endearing, amusing and interesting. As I was watching I was thinking to myself "I bet this film got loads of hate" and I still think that. But there's always the next Mission Impossible round the corner for the haters. I enjoyed it. 7.5/10

ScarletLion 02-28-17 09:17 AM

'American Honey' (2016)

http://i.imgur.com/z9kszyM.jpg

Andrea Arnold is an oscar winning director, she's no spring chicken and knows her way around. Maybe that's a factor when considering that the performances in this movie are nothing short of incredible. Loads of first timers. Loads of inexperienced kids. How she has got these performances out of this cast is nothing short of mesmerising.

The movie is long, lets be honest. But it is very rewarding and is a very accomplished way of exploring society's values and attitudes towards youngsters, poverty, opportunities etc. I found large similarities between this and her short 'wasp'. Which is no bad thing. The film also looks amazing.

I'd probably find a place for this in my top 10 of 2016.

'I don't feel at home in this world anymore' (2016)

http://i.imgur.com/QKaX0em.jpg

This is Macon Blair's directorial debut. Given he produced and starred in 'Green Room' and 'Blue Ruin' I was really keen to see what he could do.

The problem with this film is that it isn't quite sure what it wants to be. It's too funny to be a thriller, and it has to many serious elements to be a full out comedy. Therefore it ends up being a mish mash of both. It's a bit like a Ben Wheatley black comedy co-written by Edgar Wright. While that might sound appealing it just doesn't click with me because it gets it a bit wrong, especially in the final act.

I really liked Elijah Wood's character and I was totally on board with what the film was actually trying to tell me, it just didn't pull it off very well.

Blair is still one to watch though I feel.

Camo 02-28-17 02:40 PM

So glad you like American Honey :up:. My #1 from last year.

ScarletLion 02-28-17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1658740)
I dug it. So what should I see next of hers? Red Road or Fish Tank?

Camo 02-28-17 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1658790)
I dug it. So what should I see next of hers? Red Road or Fish Tank?
I think Red Road is better but if you're planning on seeing both i'd personally leave that to last. I still haven't seen her Wuthering Heights.

Nestorio_Miklos 02-28-17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1658740)
Sorry I don't want to contradict just to contradict. For me it was quite a mess. I could not find any in-depth message that this movie would give me. And yes, it was too long. I was also pretty annoyed with that blond guy flashing his boom-stick. Otherwise it was watchable. :)

Camo 02-28-17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nestorio_Miklos (Post 1658807)
Sorry I don't want to contradict just to contradict. For me it was quite a mess. I could not find any in-depth message that this movie would give me. And yes, it was too long. I was also pretty annoyed with that blond guy flashing his boom-stick. Otherwise it was watchable. :)
How does that contradict it being my favourite movie of the year? That makes no sense. I didn't find it a mess, that's fine if you did. Great film.

ScarletLion 03-01-17 05:18 AM

'In Order of Disappearance' (2014)

http://i.imgur.com/hXrN7xd.jpg

Hans Petter Moland's dark thriller delivers despite having a less than original premise. Man seeks vengeance after death of son. It must be difficult to get a film like this just right because revenge capers have been done so many times. But this film just about manages it, mainly due to the script, it's interesting enough to keep us switched on amongst the cold blooded actions on screen. Stellan Skarsgård and Bruno Ganz also give us more than adequate performances. There are elements that reminded me of Fargo, Snatch and others, and the way in which we see the 'order of disappearance' is quite novel, especially the very end sequence.

There are moments of dark comedy that intermingle with the beautiful landscape photography. All in all it's not going to tear up any trees but there is enough here to result in a decent 2 hours of film watching. 7/10

the samoan lawyer 03-01-17 08:50 AM

I'm gonna watch American Honey and IDFAHITWA asap. Both sound like something I'd like. I take it you liked Green Room and Blue Ruin?

ScarletLion 03-01-17 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer (Post 1659313)
I'm gonna watch American Honey and IDFAHITWA asap. Both sound like something I'd like. I take it you liked Green Room and Blue Ruin?
I liked Blue Ruin more than I liked Green Room. But that's just because I prefer movies in the ilk of Blue Ruin. Both were very watchable. I've not seen 'Murder Party', which he also produced and starred in with Saulnier directing. I'm not convinced it's my thing.