Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Politically Correct IDIOTS (Steve Martin/Carrie Fisher tweet) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47572)

TONGO 12-29-16 11:41 AM

Politically Correct IDIOTS (Steve Martin/Carrie Fisher tweet)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000024

Steve Martin posted this tweet about Carrie Fisher...

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/...2f00e9d652.png

New York Magazine criticized him, and US Weekly. Oh the great outcry against this huge injustice done against womens rights, what she wanted to be remembered for, blah blah blah...... Steve Martin deleted the Tweet.

See the difference between Steve Martin and the rest of us.......he actually knew her!

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/...che=kychonu2tc

People today do not have the life experience they think they do to be preaching the rights and wrong of an old mans tweet about a friend who died.

This has gotten way worse as social media exploded into the mainstream. People seek approval, and acknowledgement in life, and the internet is a quick-fix which was never available before. Be it here, Facebook, Twitter, or wherever the goal mostly is to get that "Like", Thumbs-up, Retweet, etc.... so if anyone says or does something that could be taken the wrong way, it usually is for the sake of some false sense of heroics.

Europeans dont act this way, Aussies dont either. This is an American culture thing which is fueling the "fake news" movement, catering to intellects which dont know the difference between reality tv and reality.

You know whats sad, today a show like "All In The Family" couldnt stay on the air. The dumb would be outraged about Archie Bunker saying he promotes racism, and sexism, blah blah blah

http://bingeout.com/wp-content/uploa...34-750x400.jpg

It was a show about us. People. How we all bitch, do stupid things, have stupid beliefs, and get along with each other regardless.

Because we were mature enough then to "get it". Now we arent. Weve gone backwards.

I do not like this SJW Idiocracy, and miss the good ol' days. More specifically I miss how people were back then. Just because weve become more judgemental on each other doesnt mean weve evolved in any way.

Yoda 12-29-16 12:01 PM

Yeah, this is definitely based on some twisted thinking. Not only did he not just call her pretty (which is a perfectly fine thing to say and in no way implies that beauty is everything, or that she did not have other qualities), he specifically contrasted his initial, superficial impressions with the more meaningful things he discovered about her later.

This isn't surprising, however. There are more reasonable forms of political correctness, but the strain based primarily in shaming and purging the less "pure" will inevitably, like an increasingly splintered religious sect, end up attacking even its allies.

TONGO 12-29-16 12:35 PM

Re: Politically Correct IDIOTS (Steve Martin/Carrie Fisher tweet)

Carrie Fisher would have been touched in a good way from Martins tweet, and certainly would have gotten the humor in it. She believed strongly in womens rights, but was able to have a sense of humor too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ97s396kb0

Ive a feeling she wasnt "politically correct" ;)

Sir Toose 12-29-16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1620749)
It was a show about us. People. How we all bitch, do stupid things, have stupid beliefs, and get along with each other regardless.
Yeah that. Brilliant point.

It has become a pastime to parse sentences in search of ways to be offended. For some it's a career. Monkey chatter. Mostly meaningless and serves only to belittle those making an issue of it.

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 01:22 PM

Sounds like an innocent compliment to me. People are lame.

TheUsualSuspect 12-29-16 01:36 PM

Cinnabon deleted a tweet as well.

“RIP Carrie Fisher, you’ll always have the best buns in the galaxy.”

Citizen Rules 12-29-16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1620775)
Cinnabon deleted a tweet as well.

“RIP Carrie Fisher, you’ll always have the best buns in the galaxy.”
Well that one is both cute, and a shameless hocking of their product (cinnamon buns).

Steve Martin's tweet was kind and respectful. People can be such idiots if they had a problem with what Steve Martin said.

Cobpyth 12-29-16 01:54 PM

They even attacked Paul Simon (who was married to her) because he called her a "girl" in his tweet and not a "woman".

Luckily, the outrages against the 'politically correct' reactions far outweigh the actual 'politically correct' reactions.

matt72582 12-29-16 04:47 PM

Empty gestures.

Topsy 12-29-16 05:45 PM

I dont really think anyone is outraged,its just sensationlized-like everything else in the media.

ash_is_the_gal 12-29-16 05:46 PM

lol @ the strange rant about All in the Family

Iroquois 12-29-16 09:10 PM

People today do not have the life experience they think they do to be preaching the rights and wrong of an old mans tweet about a friend who died.

This has gotten way worse as social media exploded into the mainstream. People seek approval, and acknowledgement in life, and the internet is a quick-fix which was never available before. Be it here, Facebook, Twitter, or wherever the goal mostly is to get that "Like", Thumbs-up, Retweet, etc.... so if anyone says or does something that could be taken the wrong way, it usually is for the sake of some false sense of heroics.
Says the guy who started a whole thread proclaiming outrage over other people's outrage and has collected at least eight rep points off it as a result.

Europeans dont act this way, Aussies dont either. This is an American culture thing which is fueling the "fake news" movement, catering to intellects which dont know the difference between reality tv and reality.
Check me if I'm wrong, but I thought "fake news" was supposed to describe, you know, news that was actually fake (like Pizzagate) instead of merely blowing things that actually happened out of proportion (as is the case with Martin's tweet).

You know whats sad, today a show like "All In The Family" couldnt stay on the air. The dumb would be outraged about Archie Bunker saying he promotes racism, and sexism, blah blah blah

Because we were mature enough then to "get it". Now we arent. Weve gone backwards.
Allow me to introduce you to an obscure little show called Family Guy.

I do not like this SJW Idiocracy, and miss the good ol' days. More specifically I miss how people were back then. Just because weve become more judgemental on each other doesnt mean weve evolved in any way.
Yeah, well, look where people who want to go back to the "good" old days have gotten us. Deliberately going backwards doesn't seem like evolution to me.

Gatsby 12-29-16 09:12 PM

Rather than PC, I call this people being dumb and unable to understand a joke, as always.

Camo 12-29-16 09:35 PM

I swear i almost brought that up but went against it because i thought this thread would end up with some pointless arguments. Family Guy had one episode that i caught on TV the other day where Peter tries to marry his son Chris for some reason can't even remember why it was that dumb; during the episode Chris gave his Grandfather a handjob, there was several jokes about Peters disabled friend Joe having sex with his son as well as plenty of random cutaways with bestiatlity, whatever. At most All In The Family would be aired a little later but it actually feels extremely tame compared to what is aired now, like there's no comparison you are being ridiculous if you believe it wouldn't be aired today. I think what most people who say that want to say is that we can't walk about and act like Archie Bunker anymore; oh woe is me, great character, terrible attitude to have glad the world has moved on. I mean All In The Family is about an old fashioned guy in the 70s who has hilariously outdated views; that was the 1970s guys 40 years ago and the show is funny because his views were outdated fourty years ago now.

I agree that the joke this thread was about wasn't offensive at all and people completely overreacted to it but the thread title and subsequent posts are ridiculous; i mean "Ive a feeling she wasnt "politically correct" ;)" as if being 'politically correct' whatever that means is some horrible thing? And all from old white guys who miss the good old days? :sick:

This should've been a post in the Chill Club or a Shout with a few responses, the fact that this is a thread with such an insulting title is hilarious.

Anyway: Camo/Cosmic 2016 :laugh:

Topsy 12-29-16 09:40 PM

well its easy to miss the "good ol days" when youre a white middle aged man though ;) horrible stuff when you actually have to have some consideration for others

mark f 12-29-16 09:44 PM

There's nothing wrong at all with Steve Martin's tweet - it's very well-written and poignantly expressed what he felt and wanted to say. I'm just sorry he also felt the need or was harassed enough to take it down.

cricket 12-29-16 09:54 PM

Just because offense is taken by someone doesn't mean that the other party meant any offense. Consideration and understanding needs to go both ways.

Camo 12-29-16 09:55 PM

About my last post: i think people reminiscing for the good old days is pretty sad personally and it will probably be me some day which depresses me.

The idea that one ridiculous thing is enough to call the whole idea of political correctness out is ridiculous and offensive. Offensive because you are deciding on a few isolated occurrences that are ridiculed by most that people with hard-ships shouldn't be backed up. It's as offensive as claiming that the gun-toting, racist, sexist, christian is a solid representation of American Christians. And it is ridiculous because it is grouping a vast amount of people probably including yourself on some subjects into a 'politically correct' bracket without considering what their individual opinions are.

Camo 12-29-16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620933)
Just because offense is taken by someone doesn't mean that the other party meant any offense. Consideration and understanding needs to go both ways.
The other party doesn't get to decide what is and isn't offensive to the other person, that's the problem. If he genuinely caused offense to that person then it was his problem, i avoid that by not being offensive to people personally.

cricket 12-29-16 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620936)
The other party doesn't get to decide what is and isn't offensive to the other person, that's the problem. If he genuinely caused offense to that person then it was his problem, i avoid that by not being offensive to people personally.
The people who are offended are not even the person he was talking about. It was a very innocent tweet. Is it better that everyone is ultra-careful about what they say, just because they may offend someone? It was really Martin's problem that some people were bothered by it?

Camo 12-29-16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620937)
The people who are offended are not even the person he was talking about. It was a very innocent tweet. Is it better that everyone is ultra-careful about what they say, just because they may offend someone? It was really Martin's problem that some people were bothered by it?
Nah, i'm with you it wasn't offensive at all, i said that already. I was talking about the premise/thread title and following horrible posts equating this incident to the whole idea of political correctness.

I really don't care as much as i'd imagine you think i do; i just think this is a horrible thread.

Sexy Celebrity 12-29-16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620940)
i just think this is a horrible thread.
It's a horrible thread because when did TONGO start thinking he knows a lot about being politically incorrect? As I said in my twitter.com/RealSexyCelebrity thread, a month ago he would have applauded those people for telling Steve Martin to delete his tweet. He would have compared Steve Martin to Donald Trump. Probably would have called him a misogynist.

Sexy Celebrity & Gatsby
President & Vice President of Movie Forums 2017
VOTE for Us and STOP the Bullsh*t.

cricket 12-29-16 10:16 PM

It is something that is very common now, and I think a lot of it boils down to a gang mentality on social media. There's so many miserable people out there.

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:17 PM

By the way, my post in this thread was just about the tweet and people being upset about the tweet. I didn't actually read the original post.

I will say that posts like this make me uncomfortable though.

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1620925)
well its easy to miss the "good ol days" when youre a white middle aged man though ;) horrible stuff when you actually have to have some consideration for others
It seems counterproductive to refer to someone's race or sex as a way to define them, their feelings, or their actions. It's also lazy. Is it just because he's a white male that he feels that way? Or is it something else? I am sure there are many white males who don't think like him. So why just point out his race or sex and just say that's why he feels that way?

cricket 12-29-16 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1620945)
By the way, my post in this thread was just about the tweet and people being upset about the tweet. I didn't actually read the original post.

I will say that posts like this make me uncomfortable though.

It seems counterproductive to refer to someone's race or sex as a way to define them, their feelings, or their actions. It's also lazy. Is it just because he's a white male that he feels that way? Or is it something else? I am sure there are many white males who don't think like him. So why just point out his race or sex and just say that's why he feels that way?
Yep, I hear women say it just as much as men, and race has nothing to do with it at all.

Topsy 12-29-16 10:20 PM

bc someone who is opposed to the idea of PC,and is male and is white,it is most likely...because its a male who is white.
whyyyy? probably because they dont have to deal with the issues why PC is requiered.

cricket 12-29-16 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1620949)
bc someone who is opposed to the idea of PC,and is male and is white,it is most likely...because its a male who is white.
whyyyy? probably because they dont have to deal with the issues why PC is requiered.
What issues would those be?

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:22 PM

I don't think a person's race or sex is the reason for anything. People are people, they aren't defined by what they are born as.

Topsy 12-29-16 10:23 PM

oh none,sexism and rascism dont exist at all.

Iroquois 12-29-16 10:24 PM

It's a privilege thing, really. The implied reason why white males would want things to go back to the "good old days" is to reclaim the sort of power and status that they feel has been lost because they've had to accommodate people who are different to them (non-white, non-male, etc.).

cricket 12-29-16 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1620952)
oh none,sexism and rascism dont exist at all.
Only white men are racist and sexist? What world are you living in?

Camo 12-29-16 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1620949)
Yeah. The only people who seem to oppose PC (whatever that means) consistently are straight white males often older; i don't think that is a weird or wrong observation,

cricket 12-29-16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1620953)
It's a privilege thing, really. The implied reason why white males would want things to go back to the "good old days" is to reclaim the sort of power and status that they feel has been lost because they've had to accommodate people who are different to them (non-white, non-male, etc.).
I think it's just an age thing, at least based on my experiences.

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:27 PM

Maybe it's because I am a white male, but I am uncomfortable when someone judges someone and assumes they are a certain way because of their race (or gender)

Topsy 12-29-16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620954)
well thats a reach

Camo 12-29-16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620954)
Every race and gender is racist and sexist i've just personally encountered opposition to the idea that people shouldn't be racist or sexist more from white males; think it is evident why.

cricket 12-29-16 10:31 PM

Must be bedtime; I don't even understand the last two posts.

Camo 12-29-16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620962)
I was saying that some non-whites are racist, and some women are sexist as well but the only people that seem to get personally offended in my experience are white men who are effected by neither. This thread has became more horrible though (somehow) and it was mainly my fault so sorry, haha.

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:37 PM

White dudes suck.

cricket 12-29-16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620964)
I was saying that some non-whites are racist, and some women are sexist as well but the only people that seem to get personally offended in my experience are white men who are effected by neither. This thread has became more horrible though (somehow) and it was mainly my fault so sorry, haha.
Ok I got it. It seems to me though, that white men are more likely to get attacked for being politically incorrect, while women and minorities will often get a free pass.

Camo 12-29-16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1620966)
White dudes suck.
Hey! I'm white!

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620968)
Hey! I'm white!
Oh... so you are racist then?

Camo 12-29-16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620967)
Ok I got it. It seems to me though, that white men are more likely to get attacked for being politically incorrect, while women and minorities will often get a free pass.
Honestly, i had a comment going there but i think i was talking bullsh!t, i disagree with you but whatever.

Captain Steel 12-29-16 10:42 PM

Hey! I'm white!
Your avatar reveals you to be a handsome black man! ;)

Camo 12-29-16 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1620970)
Oh... so you are racist then?
Yes.

jiraffejustin 12-29-16 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620973)
Yes.
Man. White people are so racist.

TONGO 12-29-16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620923)

I agree that the joke this thread was about wasn't offensive at all and people completely overreacted to it but the thread title and subsequent posts are ridiculous; i mean "Ive a feeling she wasnt "politically correct" ;)" as if being 'politically correct' whatever that means is some horrible thing? And all from old white guys who miss the good old days? :sick:

This should've been a post in the Chill Club or a Shout with a few responses, the fact that this is a thread with such an insulting title is hilarious.

Anyway: Camo/Cosmic 2016 :laugh:
"Old white guys that miss the good old days"? You, Ash, and Iro obviously felt slighted by my thread title.

Camo 12-29-16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1620979)
"Old white guys that miss the good old days"? You, Ash, and Iro obviously felt slighted by my thread title.
The majority of your post was about All In The Family not being able to air today which is a show about an old white guy missing the good old days. Was i wrong?

TONGO 12-29-16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620982)
The majority of your post was about All In The Family not being able to air today which is a show about an old white guy missing the good old days. Was i wrong?
Oh! I thought you were talking about me :facepalm:

Frightened Inmate No. 2 12-29-16 11:21 PM

Hey! I'm white!

https://youtu.be/5IPKL1Oy-CA

Camo 12-29-16 11:22 PM

Didn't have to press play; really annoyed i didn't think of that first.

Gatsby 12-30-16 12:01 AM

White dudes suck.
Well, they do indeed have more sex than other ethnicities.

TONGO 12-30-16 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1620940)
Nah, i'm with you it wasn't offensive at all, i said that already. I was talking about the premise/thread title and following horrible posts equating this incident to the whole idea of political correctness.

I really don't care as much as i'd imagine you think i do; i just think this is a horrible thread.
Hey, if anyone thought Steve Martins post was insulting or degrading in any way about Carrie Fisher, then the thread title applies. If youre offended but agree with the point, then get thick skin. THATs the problem more than if people agree or not, get some thick skin because if you didnt agree with Martins tweet then youd probably be one of the complainers.

Political correctness has bent to the idiotic, SJW warriors are worthless, period. They just make talk, and wont shut up. The internet is loaded with them. :)

TONGO 12-30-16 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1620916)
Family Guy is a cartoon. All in the Family is more "grounded into reality", I dont know how else to say it to you. Just because theyre both fiction doesnt mean both are impossible, AITF was extremely realistic, and this comparison is weak.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1620916)
Yeah, well, look where people who want to go back to the "good" old days have gotten us. Deliberately going backwards doesn't seem like evolution to me.
We are de-evolving in the sense where were sensitive for the wrong reasons, and get misled more than what a supposed "age of information" should allow. Just because someone wails theres an injustice done doesnt mean there actually was one. Its like the old west and the ruthless stupid mob now have smartphones.

Iroquois 12-30-16 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620957)
I think it's just an age thing, at least based on my experiences.
In my experience, it's an all-ages thing. Young people can be just as bad about it, possibly even worse since they don't even have the flimsy excuse of "coming from a different time" or whatever.

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1620958)
Maybe it's because I am a white male, but I am uncomfortable when someone judges someone and assumes they are a certain way because of their race (or gender)
I can understand it, though. It's like a defence mechanism of sorts and it sucks because it means they've dealt with enough bad people of a type to have trust issues concerning anyone of that type. It doesn't make me feel comfortable either, but then again it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620967)
That might be because they're the most likely demographic to actually be politically incorrect.

I'd just rather you didn't go down this road.

TONGO 12-30-16 02:10 AM

http://funkycarter.com/wp-content/up...mboday2012.jpg

Oh, and one more thing...........

V I C K Y / C R I C K E T 2016

Sexy Celebrity 12-30-16 02:36 AM

TONGO / BANNED FROM MOVIE FORUMS 2016

Iroquois 12-30-16 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621022)
Hey, if anyone thought Steve Martins post was insulting or degrading in any way about Carrie Fisher, then the thread title applies. If youre offended but agree with the point, then get thick skin. THATs the problem more than if people agree or not, get some thick skin because if you didnt agree with Marttins post then youd probably be one of the complainers.

Political correctness has bent to the idiotic, SJW warriors are worthless, period. They just make talk, and wont shut up. The internet is loaded with them. :)
Given the context of everything you've posted in this thread (including the fact that it got made in the first place), how am I supposed to take your suggestion to "get thick skin" seriously?

Also, what do you think the W in SJW stands for?

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621026)
Family Guy is a cartoon. All in the Family is more "grounded into reality", I dont know how else to say it to you. Just because theyre both fiction doesnt mean both are impossible, AITF was extremely realistic, and this comparison is weak.
So what if Family Guy is a cartoon? It's still a popular television program about a callously idiotic family man whose worldview and behaviour come across as regressive and bigoted even though the show frames him as a lovable oaf and never truly holds him accountable for his transgressions. It's not like we're talking about a cartoon that's set in a completely unrealistic fantasy land like SpongeBob - Family Guy is still fundamentally a sitcom about a dysfunctional American human family. The fact that it's animated is largely circumstantial.

We are de-evolving in the sense where were sensitive for the wrong reasons, and get misled more than what a supposed "age of information" should allow. Just because someone wails theres an injustice done doesnt mean there actually was one. Its like the old west and the ruthless stupid mob now have smartphones.
Were it not for the specific context of this thread, I might agree with you. Outrage culture cuts both ways, after all - just look at the so-called War on Christmas.

TONGO 12-30-16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1621028)

I'd just rather you didn't go down this road.
No road, it just seemed yall were put off by the point.

Cant people talk plainly to the masses? Right now, no. The masses would like to believe itself wise beyond its years because theyve the super information highway at their fingertips, but bad judgement isnt something some website can undo.

TONGO 12-30-16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1621041)
Given the context of everything you've posted in this thread (including the fact that it got made in the first place), how am I supposed to take your suggestion to "get thick skin" seriously?
Because if we dont get thick skin we start going off on people that dont deserve it. Yes Im complaining about the complainers, but we need to get smarter rather than louder.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1621041)
Also, what do you think the W in SJW stands for?
The W stands for Wrong. No I'm just kidding, I thought the term was Social Justice Warrior.

earlsmoviepicks 12-30-16 02:55 AM

All this pc crap is getting ridiculous

Iroquois 12-30-16 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621042)
No road, it just seemed yall were put off by the point.

Cant people talk plainly to the masses? Right now, no. The masses would like to believe itself wise beyond its years because theyve the super information highway at their fingertips, but bad judgement isnt something some website can undo.
Well, it is an off-putting point. This was a thing that seemed cut-and-dry - a singular instance of outrage culture overreacting to a decidedly innocuous tweet - and you've turned that into the latest in a long line of debates over PC culture (like we haven't had enough of that from the likes of DAnconia). I might have been willing to agree with your original point, but you've gone and turned it into something bigger than it really needed to be and that's why we're getting stuck into these arguments.

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621043)
Because if we dont get thick skin we start going off on people that dont deserve it. Yes Im complaining about the complainers, but we need to get smarter rather than louder.
Again, this strikes me as something that cuts both ways, and if you're serious about being smarter rather than louder then something's got to give. I still remember that Halloween costume thread DAnconia started where he quoted articles to further his anti-PC agenda even though those very articles were better at arguing against his point rather than for it - a prime example of louder over smarter. Mindless outrage culture doesn't just come in left-wing SJW form.

The W stands for Wrong. No I'm just kidding, I thought the term was Social Justice Warrior.
Which explains why you wrote "SJW warriors".

TONGO 12-30-16 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1621050)
Well, it is an off-putting point. This was a thing that seemed cut-and-dry - a singular instance of outrage culture overreacting to a decidedly innocuous tweet - and you've turned that into the latest in a long line of debates over PC culture (like we haven't had enough of that from the likes of DAnconia). I might have been willing to agree with your original point, but you've gone and turned it into something bigger than it really needed to be and that's why we're getting stuck into these arguments.
First of all, in no way is my point some fluidous babble which was D'anconias thread. Im not talking extremes, but plain common sense in our response to ....well normal life itself. Seriously, Steve Martins tweet even had the possibility to offend people, then the problem is with the people. Not bite into what magazines like New York Magazine or US Weekly consider a slight towards society.

Again, this strikes me as something that cuts both ways, and if you're serious about being smarter rather than louder then something's got to give. I still remember that Halloween costume thread DAnconia started where he quoted articles to further his anti-PC agenda even though those very articles were better at arguing against his point rather than for it - a prime example of louder over smarter. Mindless outrage culture doesn't just come in left-wing SJW form.
True, but my outrage isnt mindless. Its what too many people consider an outrage which is an outrage. ;)

Which explains why you wrote "SJW warriors".
Nitpicky :rolleyes:

Frightened Inmate No. 2 12-30-16 04:08 AM

you seem to really feel bad for this steve martin fella. i have a hunch he's going to be okay.

Iroquois 12-30-16 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621064)
First of all, in no way is my point some fluidous babble which was D'anconias thread. Im not talking extremes, but plain common sense in our response to ....well normal life itself. Seriously, Steve Martins tweet even had the possibility to offend people, then the problem is with the people. Not bite into what magazines like New York Magazine or US Weekly consider a slight towards society.
I don't know if I'd call it common sense (which isn't really that common, boomtish) but if we're not going to talk extremes then this kind of thing should be considered on a case-by-case basis. I get annoyed with incidents like this or the Delta prankster thing because they (and people's overreactions/premature reactions) only fuel preexisting biases against the otherwise reasonable concept of "political correctness", which only causes more problems in the long run.

True, but my outrage isnt mindless. Its what too many people consider an outrage which is an outrage. ;)
Tell me about it, just look at the people who wanted to boycott Rogue One because it had "anti-Trump reshoots" or whatever.

Nitpicky :rolleyes:
Here's an accurate picture of me looking for stuff to nitpick:

http://static-sailmagazine.s3.amazon...Portlight1.jpg

Cobpyth 12-30-16 10:25 AM

Have (straight) white males, on average, had a less difficult time than people with another race/gender/sexual orientation throughout modern western history?
Sure. 100% true.

Is that a reason to interpret everything they say or do these days as patronizing?
No.

It's extremely logical that people are angered by the kind of accusations Steve Martin (for instance) has received in this example. That's why I personally think this topic is meaningful. It's a new trend that deserves to be properly discussed and criticized from time to time.
Many of you will probably think it's a hackneyed topic (and understandably so), but that's because you've probably never been the victim of it.

That last sentence works in both ways. The people who feel offended on one side and the people who are accused of offending on the other side.

Yoda 12-30-16 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1621068)
you seem to really feel bad for this steve martin fella. i have a hunch he's going to be okay.
Well, his friend just died and he was accused of disrespecting them in his attempted tribute. That seems like it could be genuinely upsetting. And I doubt being rich and/or famous (or white, which apparently needs to be used as a disclaimer before we consider the merit of what someone says) changes that at all.

seanc 12-30-16 11:13 AM

Amazing how if you are white and middle class but agree with PC culture that you are not told your opinion is irrelevant.

I hate being the guy that just continues to point out the hypocrisies in these conversations, but because of those hypocrisies I no longer see any meaningful conversations about these topics.

I do agree with Iro that these things should be taken on a case by case basis and not just thrown into a big pot. Maybe the news publications that got on Martin's case about this nonsense should hear that from the SJWs instead of just us irrelevant white males.

Yoda 12-30-16 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1620953)
That's a perfectly reasonable guess, but generalization becomes prejudice the moment someone assumes it applies to an individual with no evidence other than their demographic makeup. It's glib and unproductive, at best, so let's not make excuses for it.

ash_is_the_gal 12-30-16 11:36 AM

hey, don't assume! all i did was laugh at your random All in the Family outburst.

cause it was kinda funny...

also, yeah this thread sucks :D

jiraffejustin 12-30-16 11:41 AM

Why does this thread suck? I keep seeing that a lot, but I don't think anyone has explained why it sucks.

ash_is_the_gal 12-30-16 11:48 AM

i was actually gonna put a proper response to this thread, but honestly... this thread topic is kind of a jumbled mess. first it's about Steve Martin having to take down a tweet that SJWs were freakin out about, and then it turned into a 'why can't we just turn back time to when there was a TV show where a racist bigot was the star and it was kind of awful, but, he was extremely lovable and he didn't really mean anything by it, and why do we care so much about those racial slurs anyway?"

i dunno, i just don't think the two topics really have enough in common to be thrown into the same thread. they're very different, and one i actually agree with, but the other i'm like eh... yeah... kinda problematic thinking.

i think that's what Iro is taking issue with too, it's like you're saying either we must all agree with both points or else we're "part of the problem", like i guess we're now one of those "rabid SJWs" for it? and, like.... no?

False Writer 12-30-16 12:04 PM

In recent times I've really tried to just ignore all the PC BS because I know that it's just gonna keep on happening and there's nothing I can do about it—but it's just getting worse... and worse... and worse...

Now Steve Martin is merely mourning his dead friend and people are "outraged" by it. Good god. Are these people happy with their lives? Cause I can't see how you can be if you get "offended" by every third word you read or hear.

Yoda 12-30-16 12:13 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone has misunderstood the "good old days" comment:

This isn't saying everything that happened in the past is fine: in fact, it's saying the opposite. It's saying it was full of "stupid things" and "stupid beliefs." The "good old" part is the last part: getting along anyway. Not seeing other people's flaws as things that need to be publicly shamed (as if this were the best way to persuade) or buried (as if not having to hear things means they don't exist).

I don't think TONGO's saying "I wish they would overturn Brown v. Board of Education." I think he's saying people used to be better at disagreeing without being so utterly dismissive towards each other. And given that the response he received to saying this was basically "you're a white male so of course you would think that," it would seem he's got a point.

Movie Max 12-30-16 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1620962)
Consider it a pillow talk preview. If a couple of Mofies go the right way, you'll be in one heck of a threesome.:D

TONGO 12-30-16 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 1621100)
i was actually gonna put a proper response to this thread, but honestly... this thread topic is kind of a jumbled mess. first it's about Steve Martin having to take down a tweet that SJWs were freakin out about, and then it turned into a 'why can't we just turn back time to when there was a TV show where a racist bigot was the star and it was kind of awful, but, he was extremely lovable and he didn't really mean anything by it, and why do we care so much about those racial slurs anyway?"

i dunno, i just don't think the two topics really have enough in common to be thrown into the same thread. they're very different, and one i actually agree with, but the other i'm like eh... yeah... kinda problematic thinking.

i think that's what Iro is taking issue with too, it's like you're saying either we must all agree with both points or else we're "part of the problem", like i guess we're now one of those "rabid SJWs" for it? and, like.... no?
You missed the point. The point was "back then" a tweet made like Martins wouldnt have been found offensive. Today it is. Thats why we are going backwards. Why?

Heres my opinion, and its an uneducated one ;) I believe we are coming into a generation weened on technology (smartphones & the internet). Informations so available its like a library at our fingertips. The flipside of that coin is sensitivity. Today people know more but can deal with less. The technology is so infatuating we dont have the life experience or thick skin to dealing with problems....or what we perceive as problems.

Maybe we will become less sensitive as time passes, and hopefully the next generation will be better than us.

False Writer 12-30-16 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1621106)
I'm pretty sure everyone has misunderstood the "good old days" comment:

This isn't saying everything that happened in the past is fine: in fact, it's saying the opposite. It's saying it was full of "stupid things" and "stupid beliefs." The "good old" part is the last part: getting along anyway. Not seeing other people's flaws as things that need to be publicly shamed (as if this were the best way to persuade) or buried (as if not having to hear things means they don't exist).

I don't think TONGO's saying "I wish they would overturn Brown v. Board of Education." I think he's saying people used to be better at disagreeing without being so utterly dismissive towards each other. And given that the response he received to saying this was basically "you're a white male so of course you would think that," it would seem he's got a point.
100% agree with this.

People today really need to just not freak out over everything that they may not like these days. They need to practice what they preach and "tolerate" opinions that differ from theirs and instead find the stuff we have in common and get along regardless.

Movie Max 12-30-16 12:42 PM

White dudes suck.
They also swallow, a lot of crap.:rolleyes: Where are all the examples of non-white countries being flooded by white immigrants? Seems to me, that living among white dudes who suck (and swallow) is a fairly desirable concept, nowadays.:yup: Internally or nationally, same goes for neighbourhoods. The ones taking the most flack for being politically incorrect, are also the most charitable, inclusive, tolerant and desirable. Funny, how that works.:tsk:

Yoda 12-30-16 12:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that's because whiter countries are wealthier. I don't think immigrants are moving to these countries to be near white people, charming company though I am.

Movie Max 12-30-16 01:03 PM

Well then, quality of life might just be determined by how many white folks remain in a given country or neighbourhood. Maybe, it's time to treat this wealth as a resource and not as an enemy. What do you get when the wealthy white folks start leaving a country or neighbourhood?

Yoda 12-30-16 01:10 PM

It's correlated with whiteness, which isn't the same thing as saying it's "determined" by it.

TONGO 12-30-16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1621117)
Well then, quality of life might just be determined by how many white folks remain in a given country or neighbourhood.
Sounding a little bitter there MM, like you hate paying for another races healthcare type bitter. Oh thats right, youre Canadian, I forgot. :rolleyes:

This is not just exclusive to white people. Like I said in the OP, this is an American thing. You think a European would have been insulted by that tweet? I dont. Compared to the United States theres simply not enough distractions for a European compared to an American. We have so much available to us that we think it means we know more and can deal with more and life simply does not work that way.

Kinda like what Robin Williams character said to Will Hunting (Matt Damon) in Good Will Hunting. We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.

Movie Max 12-30-16 01:32 PM

Personally, I like the odds a simple correlation offers. For me, there is no need to look for that rare exception to the rule. Looks like PC whining and white shaming are here to punish our wealthy at every opportunity.

Yoda 12-30-16 01:53 PM

That's not what that means. Saying something is merely correlated doesn't mean "this is usually true, but there are exceptions." It means that the first thing does not cause the other.

This isn't a PC concept in the slightest: it's a statistical one, and failing to make this distinction leads to all sorts of hilariously nonsensical conclusions.

Sir Toose 12-30-16 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621121)
We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.
I was with you until you started using 'we' as if being an American somehow makes one naive or soft.

Broad generalizations are bad (yes I see the irony in that statement).

How can you know what other individuals have experienced, and then decide that whatever it is, it's not the equivalent of something experienced in another country?

I would agree with your assessment if you applied it to a relatively small group of loud people (since you said 'we' you can include yourself, but exclude me).

Slappydavis 12-30-16 02:05 PM

I'm actually kinda proud of Steve Martin, I think this shows a lot of virtue.

It's possible I'm reading his intentions wrong, but I think he deleted the tweet because it was a proving a distraction from Carrie. I think that says a lot because he'd easily get more people to side with him on this one (other things he's said, not so much, but this one would have been easy).

But, he deleted the tweet. It didn't matter that he was right, that most people would think he was right, and that he's mourning a friend; he didn't want to distract from Carrie.

I honestly never really thought about Carrie much outside of Star Wars, I'm not going to claim that I was some sort of huge fan. But for some reason it's really bugging me that she's being used as a cudgel in the internet culture wars.

Anyway, good on Steve. At least I think so, there might be too much pressure on him to talk about it for him to keep bowing out as gracefully as he's done so far, we'll see.

Citizen Rules 12-30-16 02:15 PM

Damn, you guys already made all the really good points! I have nothing left to say:p So I have to reiterate:

There's nothing wrong with the title of this thread when taken in the context that it was meant...The magazine and others who complained about Steve Martin's tweet are twits:rolleyes:

I do feel sorry for Steve Martin, he's a real person who just had a well known magazine very publicly criticize him for his tweet. I'm sure this very moment he feels frustrated over the situation, I sure would.

Citizen Rules 12-30-16 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO
We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.
Originally Posted by Sir Toose (Post 1621127)
I was with you until you started using 'we' as if being an American somehow makes one naive or soft.

How can you know what other individuals have experienced, and then decide that whatever it is, it's not the equivalent of something experienced in another country?

I would agree with your assessment if you applied it to a relatively small group of loud people (since you said 'we' you can include yourself, but exclude me).
I can't speak for Tongo, but I bet anything that he used the word we in an attempt not to offend any one group. Call it a kind generalization.

Movie Max 12-30-16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1621125)
That's not what that means. Saying something is merely correlated doesn't mean "this is usually true, but there are exceptions." It means that the first thing does not cause the other.

This isn't a PC concept in the slightest: it's a statistical one, and failing to make this distinction leads to all sorts of hilariously nonsensical conclusions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0NFaQcTJsg

Yoda 12-30-16 02:30 PM

What I said was short and straightforward, two things that are the polar opposite of "rambling."

But if you want to stick with your "simple correlation," go for it. Just understand that it also leads you to the conclusion that eating more cheese increases your odds of being strangled by your own sheets (not a joke, it's in the link I posted).

Frightened Inmate No. 2 12-30-16 02:41 PM

i don't want to be too pc, but movie max is literally making an argument for white supremacy itt.

Movie Max 12-30-16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1621121)
Sounding a little bitter there MM, like you hate paying for another races healthcare type bitter. Oh thats right, youre Canadian, I forgot. :rolleyes:
I'll be your Buttercup, if you'll be my Prince Humperdinck.:D

I can't even be mean to you, after the November and December you've had. You have my sympathies. Hope you find better fortunes on the horizon, soon.

TONGO 12-30-16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Toose (Post 1621127)

Ok. I purposefully used "we", which would include myself too, and not focus on any group. Not single out anyone because that doesnt communicate well, moreso by being specific who or what group, I would just piss off the people I want to reach.

The "We" is figurative, and not literal. Im trying to be smoother after the 2016 presidential campaign. Its hard when youre outraged or disgusted though, but to be specific Ive always been talking about the Social Justice Warriors.

TONGO 12-30-16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1621137)
I can't speak for Tongo, but I bet anything that he used the word we in an attempt not to offend any one group. Call it a kind generalization.
Correct :)

Frightened Inmate No. 2 12-30-16 02:55 PM

regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong? it seems that many of these things start with a few people overreacting and calling it offensive on twitter and then people who love to complain about "political correctness gone mad" find those tweets and use them as proof, so then pretty soon it gets reported on and everybody knows about it, even though every take at that point is just "i don't see what's so bad about it," and the only people who still care just wanna rant about the SJWs. i think the tweet was obviously well-intentioned but just a bit clumsily-phrased so her intelligence became an afterthought. not a big deal at all, but i'm not convinced many people really cared in the first place. every person i know who is typically sympathetic to social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.

Movie Max 12-30-16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1621143)
i don't want to be too pc, but movie max is literally making an argument for white supremacy itt.
More like questioning why "white society" seems to be the flock to thing, when it is obviously so bad, so politically incorrect, so reprehensible, that it must be lectured at every petty opportunity? Maybe, us simple white folks could learn from a more accepting, tolerant, charitable, politically correct example of society? Please share one, especially if it is a non-white example.

TONGO 12-30-16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1621145)
I'll be your Buttercup, if you'll be my Prince Humperdinck.:D

I can't even be mean to you, after the November and December you've had. You have my sympathies. Hope you find better fortunes on the horizon, soon.
Uh....I dont want you as my Buttercup :eek: Sorry Max, thanks for the compliment, but Im straight.

Well come on Max! Youre a Canadian looking-in on the social turmoil which is the U.S., have "we" become a bunch of well intentioned, oversensitive, and easily misled bunch of Ninny's? Yes or No? :)

The thread title is raw intentionally. I post to be heard, not to be repped. Though thanks to everyone that did rep the o.p.. It may be my most repped post in like.....ever.

Citizen Rules 12-30-16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1621152)
regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong?
New York Magazine criticized Steve Martin's tweet, and US Weekly did too. I'd say that's not just a couple of ****it was funny what I had wrote here!*** giving a celebrity a bad time.
social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.
Interesting topic, what social causes do SJW fight for?

Movie Max 12-30-16 03:07 PM

regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong? it seems that many of these things start with a few people overreacting and calling it offensive on twitter and then people who love to complain about "political correctness gone mad" find those tweets and use them as proof, so then pretty soon it gets reported on and everybody knows about it, even though every take at that point is just "i don't see what's so bad about it," and the only people who still care just wanna rant about the SJWs. i think the tweet was obviously well-intentioned but just a bit clumsily-phrased so her intelligence became an afterthought. not a big deal at all, but i'm not convinced many people really cared in the first place. every person i know who is typically sympathetic to social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.
I'm actually more upset that the original post was removed. Though, I do see it as another example of how the picked on white guy is able to yield and pacify a non-situation.

TONGO 12-30-16 03:09 PM

No it got to be more than a small group of loonies as US Weekly, and New York Magazine helped stoke the flames. The news and media are as effected by this as normal citizens, there is now more "fake news", and theres enough of a ignorant public reaction to things that we are starting to look like rabble rather than a society.

Yes its specific groups or types, but theres enough of them to where I say we all got to chill out, and not be so judgemental. Yes Im being judgemental on the judgemental, but what can you do? :shrug: