Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Guardians of the Galaxy II (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=36677)

doubledenim 07-27-14 11:04 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy II

release date: May 5, 2017

'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Officially Coming On July 28, 2017

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen

Posted: 07/26/2014 11:54 pm EDT Updated: 07/26/2014 11:59 pm EDT

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/1932852/t...2-large570.jpg

This month, Marvel Studios announced plans to add six films to its always expanding slate of features. It was expected that the studio would perhaps announce a few of those titles during its Comic-Con presentation on Saturday night, but only one name was revealed: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will arrive on July 28, 2017. James Gunn will return to write and direct the sequel, which follows next week's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

As for the rest of the Marvel schedule, "Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is out on May 1, 2015. Peyton Reed's "Ant-Man" arrives two months later, on July 17, 2015. "Captain America 3" comes next on May 6, 2016. After that and excluding "Guardians 2," there are seven unnamed or unannounced films on the calendar: July 8, 2016, May 5, 2017, Nov. 3, 2017, May 4, 2018, July 6, 2018, Nov. 2, 2018 and May 3, 2019. ("Doctor Strange" is expected to arrive on that July 8, 2016 slot, but Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige made no reference to the film during the Comic-Con panel despite rumors that Joaquin Phoenix would be announced as star of the film during the event.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5624122.html

jrs 07-27-14 06:37 PM

Thank God Joaquin Phoenix in Doctor Strange is just a rumor. :p

jrs 01-15-15 11:46 PM

doubledenim 02-07-15 04:56 AM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy II

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2: How Marvel Reacted To James Gunn's Pitch

By Adam Holmes

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...643/_69643.jpg

After the critical and commercial success of Guardians of the Galaxy last year, it’s no wonder that Marvel Studios brought back James Gunn to not only direct the sequel, but write the screenplay as well. With the film several years away, there’s still not much we know about what’s in store for the band of rogue adventurers outside of some minor revelations. However, one surprising element that we can expect from the 2017 follow-up is that it won’t be based on a specific storyline from the comics, and to Marvel, this could be a risky development.

While appearing on the podcast Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend (via Uproxx), Gunn revealed that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be an original story that he worked on while directing the first movie. The sequel will answer key questions and introduce new characters who will be important to the series, but even with his experience, Marvel had their concerns.
It’s different than what’s in the comic books. Peter Quill’s father is somebody different in the comics. So then when the movie came out, we got green-lit on the sequel right away. I went in and I sat down with those guys and I’m like, ‘Okay, here’s what I think the sequel should be.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, whoa. That’s risky, but okay.’ Now I’m going to turn over the story in a few short weeks and we’ll find out how well it works.
Considering that Marvel greenlit the first movie, whose main characters included a anthropomorphic tree and talking raccoon, the definition of "risky" is relative at this point. Gunn has mentioned on previous occasions that Star-Lord’s father will not be J’Son of Spartax as he is in the comics, making the identity change one of the bigger continuity changes in the MCU. Although the best comic book movies remain faithful to the source material, it’s their nature to make alterations here and there for the moviegoing audience. What may work on the pages of a comic book may not translate well on film, whether it’s pacing, character history, how a costume looks, etc, so Gunn wanting to deviate slightly from the comic books may be for the best. It sounds like, despite their reservations, Marvel has faith in him, but they’ll know for sure once he turns in his first draft of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

To be fair, it’s not unreasonable for Marvel (and fans) to get anxious when they hear about comic book movies not following the source material, at least to a degree. The Fantastic Four director Josh Trank made a similar statement when he told Kata Mara that the plot of the reboot would not be based anything already published. The difference here is that Gunn has the success of Guardians of the Galaxy under his belt. He has proven that he understands these characters and can deliver a good product. As long as he remains true to the spirit of this property, then having an original story shouldn’t be a problem…just as long as as nothing too crazy happens like Rocket and Groot separating from the rest of the team to form their own folk duo. Actually, scratch that, I kind of want to see that.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be released on May 5, 2017.

article

doubledenim 06-29-15 06:20 PM

No need to request a thread title change. The official sequel title is "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. II.

NedStark09 06-29-15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1133458)
release date: May 5, 2017

'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Officially Coming On July 28, 2017

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen

Posted: 07/26/2014 11:54 pm EDT Updated: 07/26/2014 11:59 pm EDT

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/1932852/t...2-large570.jpg

This month, Marvel Studios announced plans to add six films to its always expanding slate of features. It was expected that the studio would perhaps announce a few of those titles during its Comic-Con presentation on Saturday night, but only one name was revealed: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will arrive on July 28, 2017. James Gunn will return to write and direct the sequel, which follows next week's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

As for the rest of the Marvel schedule, "Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is out on May 1, 2015. Peyton Reed's "Ant-Man" arrives two months later, on July 17, 2015. "Captain America 3" comes next on May 6, 2016. After that and excluding "Guardians 2," there are seven unnamed or unannounced films on the calendar: July 8, 2016, May 5, 2017, Nov. 3, 2017, May 4, 2018, July 6, 2018, Nov. 2, 2018 and May 3, 2019. ("Doctor Strange" is expected to arrive on that July 8, 2016 slot, but Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige made no reference to the film during the Comic-Con panel despite rumors that Joaquin Phoenix would be announced as star of the film during the event.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5624122.html
I wonder how this will work when Pratt gets popular with maybe JP sequel or maybe even being rumored Young Indiana Jones. I think they best ink Pratt too a long multi picture deal.

doubledenim 07-09-15 07:25 AM

He has a multi-film deal, I haven't seen the specifics posted. It has to be more than 3 because of GotG II and the Infinity Wars movies.

jrs 07-09-15 08:29 AM

Who? Pratt? Chris Pratt isn't in the Infinity War double feature films.

doubledenim 07-11-15 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1347545)
Who? Pratt? Chris Pratt isn't in the Infinity War double feature films.
I missed seeing who was and wasn't in it. I assumed most mcu characters would be in it.

KorbenDallas82 07-11-15 06:51 AM

I dug the first one, one of the finest comic book and sci-fi adventures in recent memory thanks to a great script that is witty, a sense of sense, great soundtrack and not to mention reminds me of Star Wars, Star Trek, Heavy Metal, The Fifth Element and Firefly. The sequel might be even better.

Hope Howard The Duck does another cameo.

jrs 10-09-15 04:31 AM

Benecio Del Toro Confirmed To Return For 'Guardians Of The Galaxy: Vol. 2'

Cinepinions 10-09-15 06:52 PM

I was expecting to hate Guardians of the Galaxy, but now I consider it one of my favorite movies of all time. It was really well done considering one of the main characters is a racoon and another is a tree.

doubledenim 10-10-15 05:45 AM

Of course. It was the best Marvel movie made to date.
:walter:

neiba 10-10-15 04:38 PM

Which doesn't exactly say it's great...

StuartTanner 10-16-15 05:08 AM

I think I should watch Guardians of the Galaxy 1 before this is released.. I am going to watch it this weekend.

jrs 11-24-15 03:51 PM

According to a bunch of sources, it is reported that the Father of Peter Jason Quill will be none other than...

WARNING: "GOTG: Volume II" spoilers below
Captain Marvel

Though I don't get this rumor, since the person is portrayed by the opposite sex in the MCU.

doubledenim 11-24-15 05:17 PM

Was really looking forward to you posting something I could read. :(

jrs 11-24-15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1415236)
Can you read this? lol

ursaguy 11-24-15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1415157)
According to a bunch of sources, it is reported that the Father of Peter Jason Quill will be none other than...

WARNING: "GOTG: Volume II" spoilers below
Captain Marvel

Though I don't get this rumor, since the person is portrayed by the opposite sex in the MCU.
James Gunn denied it within an hour. Highly doubt that's happening.

doubledenim 11-24-15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 1415238)
Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1415236)
Can you read this? lol
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm going to try and go black on this like Ep. VII.

NedStark09 11-24-15 10:21 PM

Maybe There will be Two Captain Marvels maybe The Father will had been an earlier earth hero and The new Captain Marvel is his Daughter and Peter is her Brother.

jrs 11-25-15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by NedStark09 (Post 1415326)
Maybe There will be Two Captain Marvels maybe The Father will had been an earlier earth hero and The new Captain Marvel is his Daughter and Peter is her Brother.
True. There's Captain Mar-vell and his daughter Captain Marvel.

jrs 12-16-15 08:41 AM

There's talk that Kurt Russel 'could' play Star Lord's father, Though it's not certain yet. So don't get confused whether this is a spoiler or not. Take it as a grain of salt for now. I for one though think he'd be great for the part.

doubledenim 01-22-16 04:15 PM

News on reported new additions to the team

WARNING: spoilers below

Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) will once again be returning with his core crew of Drax (Dave Bautista), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and yes, Groot (Vin Diesel). That’s not all, though: according to a source close with the production, Peter Quill will be signing some new members onto the roster; he’ll be joined by Yondu, bad girl Nebula, and newcomer Mantis.
Imagine that intergalactic police lineup.
It’ll be great to see Yondu (Michael Rooker) and Star-Lord back on screen together. Their dynamic in the first film was one of many stellar subplots in Guardians. The way the two reconciled near the end could have easily closed the chapter on that story, but it seems director James Gunn has more in store for the Centurion smuggler. Hopefully a giant red-finned mohawk is also part of that plan.
The thing with Yondu is he doesn’t have much of a history in the main continuity of the comics. While he has a rich back story in the parallel Earth-691, when he was written into mainstream 616, it pretty much mirrors what Gunn set up in the Guardians film. So, it means there’s a lot to play with for the character.
Mantis, who is currently heavily rumored to be played by Pom Klementieff (Old Boy), is the only new cast member to join the team. In the comic-verse, Mantis has quite the backstory, which ties into the Celestials, Kree cults, and the Guardians themselves. Mantis has a great powerset to choose from, though. Aside from exceptional martial arts skills, she’s both a telepath and empath, and has the ability to control plants and vegetation. In the comics she even accelerated Groot’s growth after his body regenerated from a twig, which is a pretty helpful power given how we last saw the little sapling.

She even has some great moments with Yondu in more recent comics. The two share a friendly rivalry, and a tender friendship. While Peter may be off doing Star-Lord things and not around Yondu as much as movie fans would like to see, this potential (non-romantic) pairing could add some fun verbal sparring between the two.
Now, the biggest what-the-heck addition here is Gamora’s sister Nebula. We saw her escape from certain death when she landed on a Ravager ship during the battle on Xandar, but what could bring the cybernetically enhanced assassin to the Milano’s doorstep? She must want something from the group.
Nebula hasn’t spent much (good) time with the Guardians in the comics. She once teamed up with Gamora and joined her all-lady warrior group, “The Graces,” to take down Ronan during the Annihilation crossover event. It didn’t play out at all like the films, though Nebula did take a beating. She’s only recently resurfaced in the comics; she attacked the Guardians while leading an army of Chitauri in a two-part team-up series last year.
It really looks like the new Guardians film is going to see more focus put on the rest of the team. Gunn has said that he plans to keep the cast at a set limit because he wants to get to know the characters we have better instead of “turn them into a quip piece.” Outside of when the Avengers come together in their team-up movies, Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel’s first big foray into developing an ensemble film from the ground up.
2017 is going to be a good year for Marvel fans. Thor: Ragnarok comes out November 3, the unnamed Spider-Man film just got pushed up to July 7, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will get things rolling on May 5.

read it here if like to push buttons

Villain projection for the sequel

WARNING: spoilers below

Amidst all the rumours flying around about Guardians of the Galaxy 2, the most intriguing one surrounds the apparent identity of the antagonist our rag-tag bunch of heroes will be facing.
Geek reports that the villain in question could be unlike any seen in a Marvel film before - largely due to the fact he is a sentient world, aptly referred to in the comics as Ego the Talking Planet.
In the comic universe, Ego is a planet who, when granted consciousness by a character known as The Stranger, embarks on a mission to conquer other worlds. Unsurprisingly, the renowned Marvel hero most commonly seen encountering the destructive planet is Asgard's very own Thor who attempts to put a stop to its destructive ways.

those about to click, we salute you

In unspoiled waters, James Gunn has finished the script.

AdamUpBxtch 01-22-16 05:02 PM

Is it really a spoiler that people are returning that didn't die in the first one? If you haven't seen the first one why would you be looking in a thread about the sequel? lol

WARNING: "Minor casting GOTG" spoilers below
Bringing Back Michael Rooker is never a bad thing and no brainer, the dude is a presence when he is on screen in anything

doubledenim 01-22-16 05:10 PM

It is more about what side of the fence they are on now.

colejwalker 01-23-16 07:34 PM

I'm going to be in the minority on this, but I have hated everything that Marvel has put out in Phase 2 with the exception of Ant-Man. The rest of it was just a bunch of horse sh*t products that didn't feel like real movies. It's a shame because Phase 1 has a lot of really fun stuff in it. The only reason I am slightly interested in this movie is because Kurt Russell is a total bada*s.

NedStark09 01-23-16 11:52 PM

Its should have been Drax's daughter and a Nova Core Character added too team.

Camx 01-26-16 11:23 AM

His father is Galactus. Marvel has the rights to him back supposedly. Bet on it! :)

doubledenim 10-19-16 02:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7W6p5QrO8

http://i.imgur.com/LEVOTFx.png
Ol' Rocky and Baby G hanging out in the Mystery Van with Scoobs and Shag I see.

The Gunslinger45 10-19-16 03:16 PM

Just saw the trailer, it looks awesome! I can't wait! Dr Strange will be good in the meantime. I am very pumped for the rest of phase 3 of the MCU.

DalekbusterScreen5 10-19-16 03:32 PM

Aaah aah aaah
I'm hooked on a feeling
du du du du
About the awesomeness I'm seeing
du du du du...

The Rodent 10-19-16 03:35 PM

The first movie was awesome, the sequel looks awesome.

Just a shame it's tied to the MCU.

Miss Vicky 10-19-16 03:37 PM

Meh. I didn't care for the first one. I'm sure Funny Face will want to see this though, so I may end up seeing it with her.

DalekbusterScreen5 10-19-16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1595732)
Just a shame it's tied to the MCU.
Why? The MCU is the best thing to have happened to blockbusters currently.

The Rodent 10-19-16 03:47 PM

The MCU is bad.
So bad.

The first Iron Man and GotG are ok... the rest is just boring kids fluff.

Plus, onto their 3rd incarnation of Spider-Man and the 3rd incarnation of Hulk (well, 2nd incarnation but 3rd actor) as well.
Just can't get behind it.

The Rodent 10-19-16 03:50 PM

It's partly the same reason I've gone off X-Men. Ok they're not the MCU, but they're on about now merging them.
Changing actors all the time, changing the timelines et al.

Even Deadpool said it when they're dragging him off to see Xavier.
"Stewart or McAvoy? These timelines are confusing!"

X-Men managed to screw themselves as well with the timeline thing in DoFP.
What happened in that movie, meant Apocalypse had absolutely no peril factor.

DalekbusterScreen5 10-19-16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1595736)
The first Iron Man and GotG are ok... the rest is just boring kids fluff.
The Marvel films are rated 12a. They are not kids stuff.

Plus, onto their 3rd incarnation of Spider-Man and the 3rd incarnation of Hulk (well, 2nd incarnation but 3rd actor) as well.
Just can't get behind it.
The other versions of Spider-Man and the first Hulk weren't a part of the MCU.

McConnaughay 10-19-16 07:34 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy was so much ****ing fun, I can't wait for the sequel!

Raven73 10-23-16 04:27 PM

Was there anything new in the trailer? It almost seemed like a collection of snippets from the first movie... except with a baby Groot and Yondu has a larger mohawk.

mariel 11-02-16 11:24 AM

Based on the trailer, I'd say this sequel has a potential to be good, but there are plenty of shots in the trailer that suggest the same as the original GotG - tedious, bland and over-the-top.

doubledenim 11-02-16 02:48 PM

The irony of Groot standing on Rocket's shoulder now? :laugh:

Optimus 11-02-16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mariel (Post 1601553)
Based on the trailer, I'd say this sequel has a potential to be good, but there are plenty of shots in the trailer that suggest the same as the original GotG - tedious, bland and over-the-top.
Apart from the first movie was awesome.

mariel 11-02-16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1601703)
Apart from the first movie was awesome.

I thought GotG was one of the lesser MCU films - alongside Thor The Dark World, Iron Man 2 and 3 and Age of Ultron.

doubledenim 11-02-16 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by mariel (Post 1601705)
I thought GotG was one of the lesser MCU films - alongside Thor The Dark World, Iron Man 2 and 3 and Age of Ultron.

If you're not trolling, Willy apologizes.

The Rodent 12-03-16 08:08 PM

Released about 4 minutes ago...

https://youtu.be/dW1BIid8Osg

JayDee 12-03-16 08:39 PM

Brilliant trailer. It delivers loads of great, crowd-pleasing moments that will get audiences excited, but at the same time they've avoided giving away pretty much anything about the plot which is a nice change from so many trailers these days. And no sign of Kurt Russell either.

doubledenim 12-03-16 10:05 PM

They teased the tease with BG's first words. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what he said.

Raven73 12-03-16 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1613642)
They teased the tease with BG's first words. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what he said.
umm ... I am Groot.

Yoda 12-04-16 03:55 PM

Oh man. People are going to flip out for that adorable Baby Groot. Dude's gonna be everywhere.

The Gunslinger45 12-04-16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1613816)
Oh man. People are going to flip out for that adorable Baby Groot. Dude's gonna be everywhere.
That guy is going to dominate with their toys.

LET THE MERCHANDISING BEGIN!

DalekbusterScreen5 12-04-16 04:08 PM

Wow, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 looks hilarious. I will be shocked if it's anything short of fun.

JayDee 12-04-16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1613816)
Absolutely. :yup: After the first film there was quite a long wait for the dancing baby groot figures; I don't think they foresaw how big a pop culture thing he was going to become. There certainly will not be a repeat; Baby Groot merch will be everywhere by the time vol.2 hits cinemas

Iroquois 12-04-16 09:21 PM

Not gonna lie, Baby Groot kind of annoys me.

TheUsualSuspect 12-05-16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1613959)
Not gonna lie, Baby Groot kind of annoys me.
How am I not surprised.

Iroquois 12-05-16 03:13 AM

I got a brand to maintain.

That being said, it's nice that they've managed a fairly inspired soundtrack choice for this trailer.

doubledenim 02-02-17 12:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/977S5nj.pngI got some Groot on my shoulder, could you brush him off for me?

ovoo 02-02-17 01:59 PM

The crazy one, beaten in my heart.
https://i.imgbox.com/6ZXWNxHq.jpg

doubledenim 02-02-17 02:33 PM

I probably feel too much over Guardians, but the BG voice is flat-out wrong to me. My peers disagree, so I can see being the minority.

It comes across like like tween screech. The one age where nobody is cute and parents have to lie their children more than usual.
:p

doubledenim 02-05-17 07:32 PM

TJLamb0518 02-06-17 09:53 AM

I still can't believe how Marvel does this. I went into Guardians with low expectations (I mean, come on) and was so pleasantly surprised. Then I went into Ant-Man with low expectations (because Paul Rudd is, IMO, the personification of vanilla) and was pleasantly surprised and then Doctor Strange...well, you get the picture.

So, they can make the c and d list characters shine...where's my NOVA movie? And not that kid....Rich Rider!

doubledenim 02-06-17 12:56 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Zi0g8vi.png
I think I've already had enough of BG

Saunch 02-06-17 01:00 PM

Someone photoshop Groot out and I'll hang that poster on my wall.

Little Devil 02-21-17 02:07 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is Perfect according to Audiences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfv39WbJaU0

thoughts?

Saunch 02-21-17 02:08 PM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is Perfect according to Audiences

I'll see about that...

... in two months.

doubledenim 02-21-17 02:30 PM

I tried to watch that vid, but I skipped around and I didn't get anything but multiple cuts of same movie? What was the main draw of it?

GotG V. II will be great. Unfortunately it will be compared to the first and it may not be able to exceed that level of wonder.

outrider767 02-21-17 05:09 PM

Really looking forward to this--The first GOTG I was prepared to dislike, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, really enjoyed it a lot--Hope this new one is just as good as the first

Edge 02-22-17 05:12 AM

It took a lot of convincing for me to go and see the original GOTG but I ended up enjoying that movie so much, I was still blind at the time so I got too actually see if for the first time just a few weeks ago and again it was just as enjoyable I can not wait too see the sequel now.

Slam 02-22-17 07:55 AM

They trailers are certainly hilarious.

The Rodent 02-28-17 05:03 PM

https://youtu.be/zkRHSe3cwzU

Korinaz 03-26-17 10:56 PM

Hey!! Guys!! Korinaz here!! :D Here is some facts on the up coming movie Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2. I hope you like it and please tell me what you think :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4209-m1oQ4

doubledenim 04-18-17 02:48 PM

Yes, GotG Vol. 2 does need 5 end credit scenes.

I can imagine only 1 will bear any weight and the other will be light-hearted fluff like the J5 Groot in a cup scene.

Doolallyfrank 04-18-17 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1689635)
Yes, GotG Vol. 2 does need 5 end credit scenes.

I can imagine only 1 will bear any weight and the other will be light-hearted fluff like the J5 Groot in a cup scene.
Teenage Groot listening to the Cure, smoking and wearing make-up?

DK Han 04-18-17 09:49 PM

Have they ever announced the soundtrack of Awesome Mix Vol.2 yet? I can't believe we're this close to release and nothing has been posted yet.

doubledenim 04-19-17 12:51 AM

All of the initial reports from the Marvel invite screening are that it is great. Then again, anybody that wants to go to another Marvel pre-screening probably would not say otherwise.

doubledenim 04-19-17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DK Han (Post 1689831)
Have they ever announced the soundtrack of Awesome Mix Vol.2 yet? I can't believe we're this close to release and nothing has been posted yet.
  • "Mr. Blue Sky" — Electric Light Orchestra
  • "Fox on the Run" — Sweet
  • "Lake Shore Drive" — Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
  • "The Chain" — Fleetwood Mac
  • "Bring It on Home to Me" — Sam Cooke
  • "Southern Nights" — Glen Campbell
  • "My Sweet Lord" — George Harrison
  • "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" — Looking Glass
  • "Come a Little Bit Closer" — Jay and the Americans
  • "Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang" — Silver
  • "Surrender" — Cheap Trick
  • "Father and Son" — Cat Stevens
  • "Flash Light" — Parliament
  • "Guardians Inferno" — The Sneepers feat. David Hasselhoff (exclusive track co-written by James Gunn)

Holden Pike 04-19-17 03:26 PM

The Sam Cooke isn't the correct era, it is from 1962. But since "Bring it on Home to Me" is one of my all-time favorite songs I'll let it slide. And the Jay and the Americans song is '60s, too, but another fun one, so OK.

doubledenim 04-24-17 08:16 AM

Early reviews are that this isn't T2. We all knew that young Groot was going to be overused. The team is split up a bunch and their chemistry was one of the strongest points of the first.

It is said that this is more of a standalone film, which I find surprising. I thought this would be more of a lead-in to Infinity Wars. Apparently the bad guys aren't throwaways and it's hinted that maybe some good guys get killed.

doubledenim 04-24-17 11:52 AM

I bit the bullet and bought my tickets in IMAX 3D. Yes, that's right. I hate 3D. Passionately. 3D t.v.s I rest my case.

The only reason is that I will be taking a sweet little lady who loves Groot and that racoon and we will be going to one we can actually see. And it won't be like making a second car payment this month.

Saunch 04-24-17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1692047)
Early reviews are that this isn't T2. We all knew that young Groot was going to be overused. The team is split up a bunch and their chemistry was one of the strongest points of the first.

It is said that this is more of a standalone film, which I find surprising. I thought this would be more of a lead-in to Infinity Wars. Apparently the bad guys aren't throwaways and it's hinted that maybe some good guys get killed.
Yeah, I've seen a few "meh" headlines (I haven't actually read any of the reviews). Figures. Marvel slumps every so often.

Spider-Man doesn't seem very interesting. I hope Thor sticks the landing.

TheUsualSuspect 04-24-17 05:53 PM

The original took a lot of people by surprise. So they are going into this one with expectations. I fully expect people to be disappointed. Same thing happened with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not a terrible film, just a tad underwhelming.

doubledenim 04-24-17 06:39 PM

I will say this, for any issues the 3rd act is not one of them. Incomprehensible scale space finale that pulls it all in.

That says a lot to me. The ends of movies are the most troublesome.

Iroquois 04-25-17 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1692047)

I'm guessing that, when you say T2, you mean "a sequel that is equal/superior to original" and not "a shinier and lighter rehash with a few adjustments". I know it's almost certainly going to be the most obvious comparison, but Vol. 2 really is the Empire to the original's New Hope. Whereas the originals had extremely straightforward MacGuffin-driven plots that were compensated for by the strong character ensembles and rich world-building, the sequels are more character-driven as conflicting goals, physical separation, and new additions to the cast serve to challenge the established heroes at least as much as any actual villains do.

In any case, it's not that surprising for it to effectively be a standalone adventure where connections to the MCU's greater arc are kept to a minimum when that's pretty much what the first film did as well. I think Marvel does understand now that they need to be able to make films that work on their own rather than just serving as another "episode" in the series like Age of Ultron.

doubledenim 04-25-17 11:49 AM

@Iroquois

Did you watch the post-credits scenes? If so, is there anything of story-related significance or are they throwaways?

Saunch 04-25-17 01:40 PM

^ I think I know what they are and they're all kind of throwaways. Fun, though. One hints at the villain for Vol. 3.

Another sort of confirms a fan theory that I find awesome for the explanation it provides.

doubledenim 05-05-17 09:56 AM

Me until tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ1tBVtYOBc

doubledenim 05-06-17 07:41 PM

Bought the tickets last week. Poured through the 5 million different showings.
Set my internal clock to leave for a 6 o'clock show.

But I bought tix for the 7. Yeah. We are standing here 1 hour early. Go denim!

MickfromRedlands 05-06-17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1692228)
The original took a lot of people by surprise. So they are going into this one with expectations. I fully expect people to be disappointed. Same thing happened with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not a terrible film, just a tad underwhelming.
Undewheming gets it spot on, I have to agree with you, didn't hate it but didn't love it either. There was something missing, just can't work out what.

doubledenim 05-07-17 12:21 AM

If you are of the ilk that loved the first one, you will love the second one. This is the only Marvel franchise that feels like a comic book. An escape. All the other Marvel films I've seen come across as action movies with "insert hero with abilities". There is a certain sterility and lack of emotion in them that Guardians sidesteps.

:( I'll miss you Mary Poppins :(

DK Han 05-08-17 01:12 PM

I rewatched the first one last night. Forgot how much I liked it but I remember the only time I saw it before was at the theater when my friend accidentally got us tickets to the ****** 3D showing so my memory was foggy on some of it since I had to take off the glasses at times from getting headaches. Might go see this one or just wait until it comes out and buy it as I rarely go to the theater anymore.

Doolallyfrank 05-08-17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1698957)
If you are of the ilk that loved the first one, you will love the second one. This is the only Marvel franchise that feels like a comic book. An escape. All the other Marvel films I've seen come across as action movies with "insert hero with abilities". There is a certain sterility and lack of emotion in them that Guardians sidesteps.

:( I'll miss you Mary Poppins :(
I've seen some "i'm Mary Poppins y'all" merch, so tempted to add to my horde of tshirts

doubledenim 05-08-17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by DK Han (Post 1699675)
I rewatched the first one last night. Forgot how much I liked it but I remember the only time I saw it before was at the theater when my friend accidentally got us tickets to the ****** 3D showing so my memory was foggy on some of it since I had to take off the glasses at times from getting headaches. Might go see this one or just wait until it comes out and buy it as I rarely go to the theater anymore.
On numerous accounts I have stated how I despise 3D. Mainly, because it seems like my brain adjusts after 5 mins and then it just seems like a regular dark film.

I actually enjoyed this in IMAX 3D. It's proof that it's not my eyes, but filmmakers that are making these films too dark to see anything. I had no problems and the opening credits were stupendous :) .

I still wish 3D would go away and we could just get IMAX movies. Dunkirk seems like it will be a great example.

Raven73 05-10-17 01:39 PM

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. This is what Flash Gordon was meant to be.

doubledenim 05-13-17 08:47 AM

WARNING: "Peter Quill hypothethical?" spoilers below
If PQ's abilities are derived from being a spawn of Ego and Ego's were based on himself / the planet, can he still hold an Infinity Stone after the planet / papa (sounds like 11 would say it) is destroyed? This is probably a little bit too "in the weeds" to be fleshed out in Avengers and future GotG movies, but I wonder.

Iroquois 05-13-17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1702416)
WARNING: "Peter Quill hypothethical?" spoilers below
If PQ's abilities are derived from being a spawn of Ego and Ego's were based on himself / the planet, can he still hold an Infinity Stone after the planet / papa (sounds like 11 would say it) is destroyed? This is probably a little bit too "in the weeds" to be fleshed out in Avengers and future GotG movies, but I wonder.
WARNING: "GotG2" spoilers below
I don't think so.

NedStark09 05-14-17 08:33 AM

Well if you guys remember in the first movie The whole crew together can hold a stone by way of despersing the power by way of a group. My overall opinion is that Quills power is not that he is of Ego but that its his human part somehow that make s him a hero .

NedStark09 05-14-17 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1692228)
There was nothing really bad about the movie. I mean there has been many worse sequels too a movie comic book or other wise. I mean thus far as sequels go for Marvel only Spiderman 2 X-Men 2 X-Men United, Captain America Winter Solider and Avengers 2 for me are the only Marvel sequel films on par with the original film for the company. While Guardians 2 is not as good as 1 it by no means is as Bad as Iron Man 2, or 3 Thor 2, Spiderman 3 or X-Men 3.

Iroquois 05-14-17 09:17 AM

I thought it was about on par. It plays to different strengths.

doubledenim 05-15-17 02:29 PM

Fanboy stated.

I've learned over my years that before you vocalize an issue with something, try to have a remedy handy. I listened to a podcast today that viewed a popular sentiment about this movie.

Of course they prefaced it with, "I loved the movie." This is like someone telling you, I mean no disrespect before they serve you a sh!+ sandwich of what they think about you. The thought is this is just more of the same. Not a progression of the story, merely the first one bigger and louder. Why should we care about Yondu? He's not really that big of a deal.

All the characters had some sort of progression. The situation between the sisters felt genuine and explains a lot. Peter Quills' multiple daddy issues were touched on. Yondu, really? His story was kinda sort of the highlight of the whole thing for me.

The past couple of years I have started having a problem falling asleep in movies. For some odd reason, I stayed awake the whole time.

Northpoint 05-18-17 01:27 AM

I really did like this more than the first.

9/10

While not perfect, it was exactly what I wanted from the next installment of this franchise. More character depth and a deeper exploration of the relationships crudely established in the first film. The theme of family was front and center and handled with complexity as well as their signature fun. Bottom line, this movie is pure fun from start to finish with the resolution packing a far more emotional punch than I was expecting. Visually, the movie is amazing. The humor wasn’t too much because it fit each character.

Overall, the story and depth are far better here than Volume One even if the action and general excitement level didn’t seem to match the first entry. Surprisingly, Mantis and Nebula really shined and Rocket turned out to be pure badass.