Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Noirvember 2021 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=65109)

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 05:37 PM

I noticed a lack of Noir love threads on here this November, so I figured I'd start one up. Who else is jumping aboard the annual celebration of shutter shadows and cigarette smoke?

So far, I've first time watched:

Hangover Square: Very good! Fast, brutal and a precursor to Psycho

Where Danger Lives: Fantastic! Mitchum is great as always

Somewhere in the Night: An influential plot hampered by boiler plate filmmaking and B level castibg

Nightmare Alley: Atypical and awesome. Had it ended one scene earlier, it would be a favorite.

The Big Operator: Mickey Rooney as faux Jimmy Hoffa. Like that casting, it's puzzling, occasionally parodic, but also more successful than it should be.

Post all your noir, neonoir, tech noir, Franco noir, nikkatsu noir and any other type of noir you watch here!

xSookieStackhouse 11-06-21 06:22 PM

i never heard of this :confused:

Captain Terror 11-06-21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251348)
Who else is jumping aboard the annual celebration of shutter shadows and cigarette smoke?
Most of my Letterboxd friends, evidently. Every time I've logged in this week I was surprised to find a bunch of old films in my feed, then I remembered what month it is.

I haven't watched anything yet that qualifies but I fully support this.

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2251354)
i never heard of this :confused:
It's big on Film Twitter. I'll gladly be its ambassador to Movie Forums!

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2251357)
Most of my Letterboxd friends, evidently. Every time I've logged in this week I was surprised to find a bunch of old films in my feed, then I remembered what month it is.

I haven't watched anything yet that qualifies but I fully support this.
Criterion channel knows what's up. This month, they added an excellent Fox Noir collection along with a Robert Mitchum collection, which has a ton that fit the bill. Combined with the titles they still have from their Neo Noir set a couple months ago, and they're the streamer to get those numbers way up.

xSookieStackhouse 11-06-21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251361)
Criterion channel knows what's up. This month, they added an excellent Fox Noir collection along with a Robert Mitchum collection, which has a ton that fit the bill. Combined with the titles they still have from their Neo Noir set a couple months ago, and they're the streamer to get those numbers way up.
ohhh i see

John W Constantine 11-06-21 09:13 PM

Re: Noirvember 2021

TSPDT has a list of noir, their top 100 is full of good choices that have been a good chunk of my movie watches this year.

Takoma11 11-06-21 10:02 PM

I've seen most of the Fox Noirs just added, but there are a few in the other collections I'm excited to check out.

My recent viewing of Pickup on South Street definitely qualifies, though, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has yet to witness its greatness.

Citizen Rules 11-06-21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2251379)
I've seen most of the Fox Noirs just added, but there are a few in the other collections I'm excited to check out.

My recent viewing of Pickup on South Street definitely qualifies, though, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has yet to witness its greatness.
That's my #1 in my Top 10 profile. Love that film. I have a total of four Film Noirs in my Top 10.

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2251379)

I only need to see Somewhere in the Night and Black Widow (watched the Rafelson neo noir of the same name a few years back) to finish up the Fox Noirs. Of those, Pickup On South Street is probably my favorite (I think I watched it for the first time either late last year or early this year). It had all those elements that make Samuel Fuller's noir flicks stand out and no one plays a sleazeball as well as Widmark. Scorsese described Fuller's style of direction as every frame being written in capital letters. Have you seen his Underworld USA?

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251382)
That's my #1 in my Top 10 profile. Love that film. I have a total of four Film Noirs in my Top 10.
What are the other 3?

mark f 11-06-21 11:21 PM

Click on the star to the right of his name in his last post (or any of his posts.)

ThatDarnMKS 11-06-21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 2251389)
Click on the star to the right of his name in his last post (or any of his posts.)
Nice! Neat feature. Big fan of all of those. I'm hoping to rewatch Sweet Smell of Success and Mildred Pierce this month.

Takoma11 11-06-21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251386)
I only need to see Somewhere in the Night and Black Widow (watched the Rafelson neo noir of the same name a few years back) to finish up the Fox Noirs. Of those, Pickup On South Street is probably my favorite (I think I watched it for the first time either late last year or early this year). It had all those elements that make Samuel Fuller's noir flicks stand out and no one plays a sleazeball as well as Widmark. Scorsese described Fuller's style of direction as every frame being written in capital letters. Have you seen his Underworld USA?
I just watched Black Widow today (thought it was good not great, but Ginger Rogers was a lot of fun in it).

I have not seen Underworld USA, just added it to my watchlist. I've yet to be let down by anything Fuller.

Takoma11 11-06-21 11:43 PM

Two noirs that I'd recommend that I don't think get enough love (and, yes, both are Ida Lupino related!) are:

The Hitch-Hiker--atmospheric and tense, and I really like the way that you see the personalities of the two hostages and the nature of their friendship.

Beware My Lovely--a little B-flick with Robert Ryan as a man with a dark secret who gets a job as Lupino's handyman.

The Hitch-Hiker is on Prime, but Beware My Lovely is a little harder to track down.

Thief 11-06-21 11:52 PM

So far in November, I've seen....

The Narrow Margin
Ministry of Fear
Out of the Past
(rewatch)

...and I just recorded a podcast episode on Film Noir today.

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 12:30 AM

Guess I’ll start up a few noirs, since I’ve been eying a few up for….well, forever.
Tubi has a few Fritz Lang noirs: Scarlet Street, The Blue Gardenia and The Woman in the Window.
I’ve been eying The Hitch Hiker for awhile as well, and since it’s available on prime…..why not?
Besides, if I don’t like it, it’ll fuel Takomas use of disappointed gifs 😆

Thief 11-07-21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251404)
Guess I’ll start up a few noirs, since I’ve been eying a few up for….well, forever.
Tubi has a few Fritz Lang noirs: Scarlet Street, The Blue Gardenia and The Woman in the Window.
I’ve been eying The Hitch Hiker for awhile as well, and since it’s available on prime…..why not?
There are a bunch that are in public domain which you can easily find. Scarlet Street is one, but I also recommend Detour, from Edgar Ulmer.

EDIT: I just saw that it's on Prime, VUDU, Tubi, and several others.

Thief 11-07-21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2251396)
Two noirs that I'd recommend that I don't think get enough love (and, yes, both are Ida Lupino related!) are:

The Hitch-Hiker--atmospheric and tense, and I really like the way that you see the personalities of the two hostages and the nature of their friendship.

Beware My Lovely--a little B-flick with Robert Ryan as a man with a dark secret who gets a job as Lupino's handyman.

The Hitch-Hiker is on Prime, but Beware My Lovely is a little harder to track down.
Hadn't heard of the latter, but it's on YT. Image is a bit spotty, but well.

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2251405)
There are a bunch that are in public domain which you can easily find. Scarlet Street is one, but I also recommend Detour, from Edgar Ulmer.

EDIT: I just saw that it's on Prime, VUDU, Tubi, and several others.
I’ve seen Detour already, when I went on a noir kick early last year I think?
Maybe the year before? Regardless, good film.

Takoma11 11-07-21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2251406)
Hadn't heard of the latter, but it's on YT. Image is a bit spotty, but well.
I think the beginning is really strong, the ending is really strong. And the middle is pretty good, though it includes a part where someone throws potato chips on a floor that'll make you want to punch someone in the face.

Captain Terror 11-07-21 01:28 AM

Scrolling through my Letterboxd diary I was reminded of I Walk Alone and Too Late For Tears, both from Byron Haskin.

Watched them last year and gave them both 4 stars. They appear to be available on the Criterion Channel as we speak.

Takoma11 11-07-21 01:30 AM

I'll also throw in a word for He Walked by Night

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2251393)
I just watched Black Widow today (thought it was good not great, but Ginger Rogers was a lot of fun in it).

I have not seen Underworld USA, just added it to my watchlist. I've yet to be let down by anything Fuller.
I may be popping on BW in the next few moments so I'll share my thoughts.

I nabbed as many Twilight Time Fuller Blu-rays as I could when they were going out of business. I got Underworld USA, Crimson Kimono, and House of Bamboo. I was a huge fan of them all and I feel they each stand up alongside his more famous ones like Naked Kiss and Pickup, if not for thrills and craft then for interesting subtext and themes. I need to give his war movies a spin sometime.

As for the Lupino recs, I've almost caved and popped on Hitch Hiker but I've been really wanting to catch that Kino boxed set of hers and just want to catch it on sale. It's currently $45 and I just can't quite pull the trigger.

For her recommendations, I'd toss out High Sierra (top billed over Bogie!), They Drive By Night (also top billed over Bogie!) and Private Hell 36, which she wrote. I would for a biopic about her to come out starring Juliet Landau. Capture what a mover and shaker she was in a male dominant industry and genre.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251404)
Check out Renoir's La Chienne before Scarlet Street. Both are great but Renoir's is the original.

Woman in the Window is almost perfect but they forced Lang to tack on a less dark ending so like Nightmare Alley, pretend it ends a scene early.

Captain Terror 11-07-21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251420)
Check out Renoir's La Chienne before Scarlet Street. Both are great but Renoir's is the original.
I've been watching SS for 25 years and didn't know there was an earlier version.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2251422)
I've been watching SS for 25 years and didn't know there was an earlier version.
By perhaps the most renowned French filmmaker of that era! It's a little less sanitized due to the French not having the Hayes Codes (it's title translates to The Bitch) but SS has Robinson in it so I consider them mostly equals of greatness.

Lang remade another Renoir flick but I can't remember which off the top of my head as I haven't seen it.

Captain Terror 11-07-21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251426)

Lang remade another Renoir flick but I can't remember which off the top of my head as I haven't seen it.
Human Desire/La Bete Humaine

I've seen 0 Renoir films. :blush: I'm gonna go through his stuff in 2022.

SpelingError 11-07-21 01:04 AM

I haven't ventured too far into noir, but I may get to a few films this month.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2251428)
Human Desire/La Bete Humaine

I've seen 0 Renoir films. :blush: I'm gonna go through his stuff in 2022.
That's the one (er... Two?)

I've only seen a few from Renoir but he's left a heck of an impression on me. The Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game are mandatory viewing.

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251429)
I haven't ventured too far into noir, but I may get to a few films this month.
I hope this thread helps guide you to some awesome picks! Basically anything from Wilder, Huston, Curtiz and Lang are safe bets.

SpelingError 11-07-21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251432)
I hope this thread helps guide you to some awesome picks! Basically anything from Wilder, Huston, Curtiz and Lang are safe bets.
I'll probably assemble a list of films to get to this month and post them here tomorrow. As an aside, I checked IMDb and here are my top rated classic noirs:

Double Indemnity
In a Lonely Place
The Killing
The Maltese Falcon
The Night of the Hunter
Out of the Past
Scarface
Shadow of a Doubt
Sunset Boulevard
Touch of Evil
White Heat

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 01:42 AM

Neat thread! I love noir, but I haven't watched much lately. I've seen a lot of the titles mentioned but it's been almost over a decade or more for many of them, so I'm well do for a rewatch.

Besides all the more well known noirs that I love, these are a few of my hidden gems I've found:

Deadline at Dawn (1946) screenplay by Clifford Odets the guy who penned Sweet Smell of Success. I'd say his dialogue and Susan Hayward are two reasons to watch this close-to-real-time noir.

The Glass Wall (1953) social commentary noir about an emigrant desperate to be an American and those who help him as he flees the authorities. It's essentially several stories about the emigrant (Vittorio Gassman). I recommend watching it for what might be one of Gloria Grahame's best performances.

Mystery Street (1950) forensic investigative-procedural film that works well as a mystery noir. Intelligent performance by Ricardo Montalban as the police investigator...and both Elsie Lanchester and Jan Stirling give inspired and colorful performances.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251435)
I'll probably assemble a list of films to get to this month and post them here tomorrow. As an aside, I checked IMDb and here are my top rated classic noirs:

Double Indemnity
In a Lonely Place
The Killing
The Maltese Falcon
The Night of the Hunter
Out of the Past
Scarface
Shadow of a Doubt
Sunset Boulevard
Touch of Evil
White Heat
If I had to recommend 1 noir to you, it would be Ace in the Hole.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251437)
The Glass Wall (1953) social commentary noir about an emigrant desperate to be an American and those who help him as he flees the authorities. It's essentially several stories about the emigrant (Vittorio Gassman). I recommend watching it for what might be one of Gloria Grahame's best performances.
Well that's one way to get this on my radar! Absolutely love Gloria Grahame. The difference of her performances in The Big Heat and In A Lonely Place is astounding (not to mention the other noir and stuff like Its a Wonderful Life). I'll try and get to the other two as well but this one feels like a priority.

Thunderbolt 11-07-21 03:50 AM

You can’t beat the atmosphere of a noir with an icy femme fatale. I watched The Lady from Shanghai a few days ago. I love when movies are narrated throughout by the protagonist.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...18#post2251018

Wooley 11-07-21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251348)
I noticed a lack of Noir love threads on here this November, so I figured I'd start one up. Who else is jumping aboard the annual celebration of shutter shadows and cigarette smoke?
Post all your noir, neonoir, tech noir, Franco noir, nikkatsu noir and any other type of noir you watch here!
Ya know, I hadn't thought about it, TCM used to take care of this for me until I got rid of cable.
I like the idea, though I'm a bit worn out on themed months after doing my sci-fi/thriller month and my Horrorthon month, but I do love me some noir and I haven't watched much of it recently - and I have some pretty gaping holes left in this genre - so maybe this is as good a time as any.

Are "Neo-noirs" welcome?

(I do have to see Bond, Dune, and The Eternals this month, though. I won't post about them here, don't worry.)

SpelingError 11-07-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251439)
If I had to recommend 1 noir to you, it would be Ace in the Hole.
I've already seen it and I think it's really good. Not sure how to feel about the final 5 or so minutes, but aside from that, I find it to be a well-acted, powerful satire on media manipulation anchored by Doulgas's character. I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder in general.

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 12:38 PM

Might I humbly suggest Tightrope (1984)? A decent Neo Noir Starring Eastwood.

Ace in the Hole is another film I’ve been meaning to watch for, again, well over a decade, and I love Wilder. And….oh hey, whaddya know? It’s available to stream on prime!
Might as well add that to my list of noir for this month.

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251440)
Well that's one way to get this on my radar! Absolutely love Gloria Grahame. The difference of her performances in The Big Heat and In A Lonely Place is astounding (not to mention the other noir and stuff like Its a Wonderful Life). I'll try and get to the other two as well but this one feels like a priority.
Oh cool you're into Gloria Grahame! She's one of my all time favorites:) I made a point of watching all of her movies...and I did, with the exception of a couple obscure ones that I couldn't find (still looking for them).

She was in 13 noirs if my memory serves me and of course it depends on how one defines a noir. Most of them are pretty darn good and even the lesser ones are worth watching for Gloria's performance as she usually gave it her all. In my book Gloria Grahame is the quintessential noir female lead. I'm not sure I'd call her a femme fatale. Though I guess she did play that roll in a couple of her noirs, but mostly she goes beyond that and invibes an aching soul into her character.

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)
Not as a Stranger (1955)
Naked Alibi (1954)
Human Desire (1954)
The Good Die Young (1954)
The Big Heat (1953)
The Glass Wall (1953)
Sudden Fear (1952)
Macao (1952)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Roughshod (1949)
A Woman's Secret (1949)
Crossfire (1947)

Wooley 11-07-21 01:16 PM

MKS and the group,
Are y'all comfortable with the films on this list as noirs?

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
The Yakuza
Le Cercle Rouge
The Conversation
The Long Goodbye
The American Friend
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
Miller's Crossing
The Drowning Pool
The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie
The Long Good Friday
52 Pickup
To Live And Die in L.A.
Cutter’s Way
Tequila Sunrise

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2251445)
You can’t beat the atmosphere of a noir with an icy femme fatale. I watched The Lady from Shanghai a few days ago. I love when movies are narrated throughout by the protagonist.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...18#post2251018
Love Lady from Shanghai. Welles' style is always dynamite even when his Irish accent isn't. Need more Hayworth femme fatale performances in my life.

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2251484)
Ya know, I hadn't thought about it, TCM used to take care of this for me until I got rid of cable.
I like the idea, though I'm a bit worn out on themed months after doing my sci-fi/thriller month and my Horrorthon month, but I do love me some noir and I haven't watched much of it recently - and I have some pretty gaping holes left in this genre - so maybe this is as good a time as any.

Are "Neo-noirs" welcome?

(I do have to see Bond, Dune, and The Eternals this month, though. I won't post about them here, don't worry.)
All noir is welcome! I'm planning to hit up some of my Suzuku Nikkatsu noir before the month is out. I'm also seeing Eternals today and won't be posting it in this thread unless the style shocks me.

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251485)
I've already seen it and I think it's really good. Not sure how to feel about the final 5 or so minutes, but aside from that, I find it to be a well-acted, powerful satire on media manipulation anchored by Doulgas's character. I'm a huge fan of Billy Wilder in general.
Curious. I have no problem with any of it. Have you seen many Fritz Lang noir? The Big Heat would probably be my favorite of his noir, though he's got a few proto-noir like M that best it.

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251493)
Might I humbly suggest Tightrope (1984)? A decent Neo Noir Starring Eastwood.

Ace in the Hole is another film I’ve been meaning to watch for, again, well over a decade, and I love Wilder. And….oh hey, whaddya know? It’s available to stream on prime!
Might as well add that to my list of noir for this month.
Dang. Tightrope is one of the very few Clint films I haven't seen. Guess I'll have to track it down.

Hope you love AITH. Pairs nicely with Nightcrawler if you want to do a classic/neo noir double feature.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251494)
Oh cool you're into Gloria Grahame! She's one of my all time favorites:) I made a point of watching all of her movies...and I did, with the exception of a couple obscure ones that I couldn't find (still looking for them).

She was in 13 noirs if my memory serves me and of course it depends on how one defines a noir. Most of them are pretty darn good and even the lesser ones are worth watching for Gloria's performance as she usually gave it her all. In my book Gloria Grahame is the quintessential noir female lead. I'm not sure I'd call her a femme fatale. Though I guess she did play that roll in a couple of her noirs, but mostly she goes beyond that and invibes an aching soul into her character.

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)
Not as a Stranger (1955)
Naked Alibi (1954)
Human Desire (1954)
The Good Die Young (1954)
The Big Heat (1953)
The Glass Wall (1953)
Sudden Fear (1952)
Macao (1952)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Roughshod (1949)
A Woman's Secret (1949)
Crossfire (1947)
Love Grahame. She's usually not particularly fatale. All femme. Love her presence so I'll have to check a few more of these out. Appreciate the list!

SpelingError 11-07-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251501)
Curious. I have no problem with any of it. Have you seen many Fritz Lang noir? The Big Heat would probably be my favorite of his noir, though he's got a few proto-noir like M that best it.
I thought the ending to Ace in the Hole felt kinda contrived.
WARNING: spoilers below
I was surprised he didn't seek medical attention from the stab wound since he was bleeding out all day, even as he was having trouble remaining conscious. I get that the Hays Code required for his character to be punished, but couldn't they have come up with something less crazy and implausible? This is a minor issue though.

In regards to Fritz Lang, I haven't seen The Big Heat, but as for his noirs, I've seen M and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (these count as noirs, right?). I'll have to watch some more of his films.

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251503)
I was surprised he didn't seek medical attention from the stab wound since he was bleeding out all day, even as he was having trouble remaining conscious. I get that the Hays Code required for his character to be punished, but couldn't they have come up with something less crazy and implausible? This is a minor issue though.

In regards to Fritz Lang, I haven't seen The Big Heat, but as for his noirs, I've seen M and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (these count as noirs, right?). I'll have to watch some more of his films.
If you have either Amazon prime and Tubi, they both have quite a few Lang features available, including some of his noirs.

SpelingError 11-07-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251504)
If you have either Amazon prime and Tubi, they both have quite a few Lang features available, including some of his noirs.
I do have Tubi, so I'll have to check a couple of his films out this month.

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251505)
I do have Tubi, so I'll have to check a couple of his films out this month.
They have Blue Gardenia, Woman in the Window and maybe Scarlet Street? In fact, Tubi has a very early Lang film from 1919 & 1920, The Spiders, which was originally released int two parts but have been combined into 1 film here.
Also, a few of his late German films, The Tiger of Eschnapur and The Indian Tomb.

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251508)
They have Blue Gardenia, Woman in the Window and maybe Scarlet Street? In fact, Tubi has a very early Lang film from 1919 & 1920, The Spiders, which was originally released int two parts but have been combined into 1 film here.
Also, a few of his late German films, The Tiger of Eschnapur and The Indian Tomb.
I went to Tubi and looked at The Woman in the Window and it's a colorized version, ugh!

I haven't really watched anything at Tubi but I wonder if they have unrestored videos?

Wyldesyde19 11-07-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251509)
I went to Tubi and looked at The Woman in the Window and it's a colorized version, ugh!

I haven't really watched anything at Tubi but I wonder if they have unrestored videos?
Yeah, there are plenty unrestored. Didn’t even realize it was colorized. Will have to check the Amazon’s version and see if it’s the same.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 02:27 PM

I don't think of it as contrived as much as tragically ironic...
given that his entire arc was defined by ignoring a clear danger for selfish means. Inverting that is poignant.

I wouldn't consider them film noir, as the term is classically defined a period of American cinema from the 40s-60s, usually beginning with Maltese Falcon and ending with Touch of Evil. However, Lang represents the messiness of this as his cynical works as a Jewish man in the Weimar Republic largely fortell the cynicism that would overtake American cinema, largely due to the influx of filmmakers like himself.

So, I'd still watch em this month as the tangentially related "proto-noir," which is a large umbrella of German Expressionism and gangster flicks

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 02:31 PM

Regarding The Big Heat, that tied for 1st place in the last Noir HoF that we did. We should do another one, I'd be up to host it.

We've done three Noir HoFs so far. The nominations are listed on the second post of each thread. Take a gander, there's some good stuff that was nominated.

Film Noir HoF
Film Noir HoF Part 2
Film Noir HoF III

SpelingError 11-07-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251513)
I don't think of it as contrived as much as tragically ironic...
given that his entire arc was defined by ignoring a clear danger for selfish means. Inverting that is poignant.

I wouldn't consider them film noir, as the term is classically defined a period of American cinema from the 40s-60s, usually beginning with Maltese Falcon and ending with Touch of Evil. However, Lang represents the messiness of this as his cynical works as a Jewish man in the Weimar Republic largely fortell the cynicism that would overtake American cinema, largely due to the influx of filmmakers like himself.

So, I'd still watch em this month as the tangentially related "proto-noir," which is a large umbrella of German Expressionism and gangster flicks
That's a fair interpretation of the ending. I see your point.

Since this thread covers all kinds of noir, I'll probably get to a couple proto noirs as well. I'll see if I can go for a variety of noirs this month.

Thief 11-07-21 02:40 PM

I had more or less the same issues, but I think this is a moment where we have to suspend our disbelief a little in favor of where and how the director wants the story to end.

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 02:44 PM

What I gathered from Ace in the Hole is that the reporter was reckless and self destructive, so for me the ending worked. Oh and Jan Sterling! Geez what a performance, she really makes the film go as when we're not in the cave, her actions are pretty darn despicable and yet I can't help but like her!

Did you guys know that Ace in the Hole was based on a real story?

Thief 11-07-21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251518)
What I gathered from Ace in the Hole is that the reporter was reckless and self destructive, so for me the ending worked.
Exactly. So,

...as implausible as it is to have him walk around all day with a stab wound on his stomach only to dramatically collapse at his boss office, the way it unfolds makes sense within the narrative and themes of the story.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 03:01 PM

"Walked around all day" doesn't quite capture what he's actually doing, as it implies some banal tasks at hand.

He's...

trying desperately to undo all of the mistakes that he's made and save a man's life, a man who trusts him and he utterly betrayed in every way imaginable. He's not concerned with his life because he's trying to save his own soul. He fails completely because it's simply too late to fix it.

He doesn't act for selfish reasons and kills an innocent man. He doesn't act for selfless reasons and kills himself. It's the exact type of fitting, cynical moralizing that makes Wilder a master of the genre.

SpelingError 11-07-21 03:08 PM

Okay, here's my schedule for this month. Tried to go for a bit of a variety.

November 7: A Face in the Crowd (1957)
November 9: The Big Heat (1953)
November 11: Blow Out (1981)
November 13: The Devil is a Woman (1935)
November 15: Eastern Promises (2007)
November 17: High Sierra (1941)
November 19: In Cold Blood (1967)
November 21: The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
November 23: Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
November 25: Ossessione (1943)
November 27: Port of Shadows (1938)
November 29: Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251522)
Okay, here's my schedule for this month. Tried to go for a bit of a variety.

November 7: A Face in the Crowd (1957)
November 9: The Big Heat (1953)
November 11: Blow Out (1981)
November 15: Eastern Promises (2007)
November 17: High Sierra (1941)
November 19: In Cold Blood (1967)
November 21: The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
November 23: Le Circle Rouge (1970)
I'm a huge fan of all of these. While I was watching Nightmare Alley, I couldn't help but feel like it would pair nicely with A Face in the Crowd. They lack the typical tropes of the genre but that cynicism and greed shine through.

SpelingError 11-07-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251523)
I'm a huge fan of all of these. While I was watching Nightmare Alley, I couldn't help but feel like it would pair nicely with A Face in the Crowd. They lack the typical tropes of the genre but that cynicism and greed shine through.
A couple of these, like Blow Out, have been on my watchlist for a while. A few more of them are blind picks. Overall, I'm looking forward to them.

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251524)
A couple of these, like Blow Out, have been on my watchlist for a while. A few more of them are blind picks. Overall, I'm looking forward to them.
Blow Out is probably my favorite DePalma. It's more political thriller than neo-noir but it wouldn't feel at all out of place among them due to aforementioned cynicism and nihilism. It's the time he best managed to put his Hitchcock pastiche into a formula that produced an exceptional narrative and cast worthy of his craft.

SpelingError 11-07-21 03:35 PM

Also, here's some brief thoughts on a few film noirs I've seen recently:

Crossfire: Though my favorite aspect about the film (showing the same flashback from different perspectives) was underutilized, it more than made up for this with some stellar acting and a solid script. Probably my least favorite of this bunch, but it's still pretty good.

The Fallen Idol: An emotionally complex tale of misunderstandings and deception. It captures childlike joy and admiration while simultaneously showing what the people they idol are actually like. Definitely my favorite of these three noirs.

Gun Crazy: In spite of its low budget, it looks and feels about 20 years ahead of its time. The standout sequences for me were the car chases and the final scene.

Citizen Rules 11-07-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2251527)
Gun Crazy: In spite of its low budget, it looks and feels about 20 years ahead of its time. The standout sequences for me were the car chases and the final scene.
One of my personal favorites, a wild ride and one bad femme fatale!

ThatDarnMKS 11-07-21 04:53 PM

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Preminger uses his Laura cast with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney in the lead roles. Andrews plays a brutal cop that's had one too many brutality complaints investigating a murder. The way it twists and turns is pure Hecht-ian goodness and results in a fairly unpredictable and gratifying climax. Loved it!

gomorra82 11-07-21 07:43 PM

Definitely an interesting genre. I saw Kansas City Confidential, Directed by Phil Karlson a while back. I am gonna gamble on 99 River Street by same director.

StuSmallz 11-08-21 01:50 AM

I felt similarly; I mean, it was a pretty good movie on the whole, but it still stretched belief that
Chuck, who was generally a very selfish, self-absorbed character up to that point, just never bothered to stop and get his stabwould treated at any point during the day. It's something that sort of makes sense in theory,
but not much in the moment, and it's still implausible for any random character to just let themselves slowly bleed to death, much less for Chuck specifically.

Thunderbolt 11-08-21 12:31 PM

Just watched The Killers (1946) with Burt Lancaster.

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 12:40 PM

Black Widow: A cinema scope noir that precedes the film with an explanation of the spider's mating habits, then sidelines stars Gene Tierney and Ginger Rogers in favor of the much too old for this role and lack star charisma to make us forget it, Van Heflin. It’s got a solid narrative but it just feels like the film would’ve been more engaging if it focused on Gene Tierney or Ginger Rogers instead. It would cast doubt on everyone rather than hearing Van Heflin’s righteous indignation for an hour or so.

Good but not great.

Citizen Rules 11-08-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251707)
Black Widow: A cinema scope noir that precedes the film with an explanation of the spider's mating habits, then sidelines stars Gene Tierney and Ginger Rogers in favor of the much too old for this role and lack star charisma to make us forget it, Van Heflin. It’s got a solid narrative but it just feels like the film would’ve been more engaging if it focused on Gene Tierney or Ginger Rogers instead. It would cast doubt on everyone rather than hearing Van Heflin’s righteous indignation for an hour or so.

Good but not great.
I've been thinking I'll get into the noir spirit and watch one. I've not heard of Black Widow and I'm curious about it so I'm going to try and watch that. But I'm having trouble finding a real good copy of it...can I ask where you watched it at?

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251713)
I've been thinking I'll get into the noir spirit and watch one. I've not heard of Black Widow and I'm curious about it so I'm going to try and watch that. But I'm having trouble finding a real good copy of it...can I ask where you watched it at?
Criterion Channel. It’s the last entry in their Fox Noir collection.

Citizen Rules 11-08-21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251728)
Criterion Channel. It’s the last entry in their Fox Noir collection.
Ah, thanks. Well one day I might get the Criterion Channel. But I'm still going to watch it and I think I have a half decent copy. Will post back when I do.

Thunderbolt 11-08-21 05:08 PM

Just managed to fit in another noir this evening. Blue Dahlia (1946).

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251811)
Ah, thanks. Well one day I might get the Criterion Channel. But I'm still going to watch it and I think I have a half decent copy. Will post back when I do.
I was reluctant to get CC for whatever reason but once I did, I haven’t looked back. Their curated collections that pop up monthly are excellent and often feature rare titles that I wouldn’t have heard about or been able to see otherwise.

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2251820)
Just managed to fit in another noir this evening. Blue Dahlia (1946).
Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake give Bogie and Bacall a run for their money. Check out its sister film The Glass Key if you get the chance.

Takoma11 11-08-21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2251705)
Just watched The Killers (1946) with Burt Lancaster.
Both versions are pretty great, in my opinion.

SpelingError 11-08-21 08:31 PM

A Face in the Crowd: Great way to start off this month! I found this to be an effective critique of two-faced media personalities and how the masses often blindly worship them. This film was relevant when it was released and is still relevant today. Though Lonesome Rhodes may seem friendly while performing in front of his fans, his offscreen treatment of his staff and his present and past relationships say otherwise. I found it interesting how my opinion of him changed so much throughout the film. In the first act, I was laughing at him poking fun at his sponsor and his criticism of various political figures, but as his treatment of Marcia and the rest of his staff members grew worse, I was hoping for him to get his comeuppance. Granted, I did find it weird how Rhodes didn't get into any controversy for marrying someone underage, but aside from that sub-plot, I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 10:15 PM

A Face In The Crowd is a masterpiece and one of its defining elements is that it’s only become slightly less prescient because things have gotten so much worse that any “solution” offered in the film seems quaint to downright naive.

Andy Griffith is amazing in it. Not quite my favorite from Kazan but close.

SpelingError 11-08-21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251887)
A Face In The Crowd is a masterpiece and one of its defining elements is that it’s only become slightly less prescient because things have gotten so much worse that any “solution” offered in the film seems quaint to downright naive.

Andy Griffith is amazing in it. Not quite my favorite from Kazan but close.
Yeah, I found it odd that Rhodes trashing his audience was enough to ruin his entire career. On one hand, a slip up like that would never ruin the career of someone as popular as him if that happened today. On the other hand though, the ending is a depressing reminder that the Rhodes-like personalities we have nowadays are even more beloved and untouchable and, in some cases, will likely always be popular.

Citizen Rules 11-08-21 11:05 PM

The similitudes between Rhodes in Face in the Crowd and a certain political type person is clear to me too. Though when I first watched it I didn't have that comparison in mind and I still loved it.

ThatDarnMKS 11-08-21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2251897)
The similitudes between Rhodes in Face in the Crowd and a certain political type person is clear to me too. Though when I first watched it I didn't have that comparison in mind and I still loved it.
Rhodes is a quintessential political figure. He lurks in the American consciousness and takes on many forms. No matter when you watch it, there’s always a Rhodes on the TV, slinging folksy platitudes to capture the hearts and minds, while caring nothing for them and even less for the truth.

We could watch this in 30 years and he’ll still be relevant because nothing will have fixed the part of society that wants to prop people like him up. He and the film are timeless.

Citizen Rules 11-08-21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251900)
Rhodes is a quintessential political figure. He lurks in the American consciousness and takes on many forms. No matter when you watch it, there’s always a Rhodes on the TV, slinging folksy platitudes to capture the hearts and minds, while caring nothing for them and even less for the truth.

We could watch this in 30 years and he’ll still be relevant because nothing will have fixed the part of society that wants to prop people like him up. He and the film are timeless.
So very true.

I'm off to watch a noir, I hope!

Thunderbolt 11-09-21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2251829)
Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake give Bogie and Bacall a run for their money. Check out its sister film The Glass Key if you get the chance.
Yes I have this on DVD. Haven't seen it in a while but remember it being very good.

Citizen Rules 11-09-21 01:52 PM

Yahoo, my first noir for Noirvember! I enjoyed it too. The funny thing is I'd seen it before and didn't even realize it until the police investigation part. I couldn't remember the ending either, so I still guessed the wrong murderer. BTW I suck at solving movie murder mysteries.

Was that little Peggy Ann Garner from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Jane Eyre... I didn't even recognize her at first AND I did know she was in the movie. I'd have to say she gave the most natural performance of the cast...she kinda creeped me out, which was the idea of her character's personality.

Ginger Rogers had the plumb role and really got to sink her acting teeth into her juicy character. Gene Tierney is a fav of mine, it's too bad she didn't get more character build up and air time. I liked George Raft even though he's not the greatest actor. And I liked Van Heflin though he's played better roles and been in better noirs.

I don't consider this a noir, even though both IMDB and Wiki tag it as such. It felt more like a stageplay of a murder mystery (which I also like). Nunnally Johnson sure filmed it play-like, especially in the final act scene. It was good to watch this again just to see one of the few films that Nunnally Johnson directed he only did eight...his claim to fame is in his wonderful scripts.

Wyldesyde19 11-09-21 07:18 PM

So this is what I have set up for Noirvember, and I hope to get though it, but it may be a bit of a challenge with the 2021 challenge, 26th HOF and a few films from the aughts count down that I need to finish off before sending in my ballot. Thankfully, Turkey day is two weeks away and I’ll be able to marathon a bunch that weekend….I hope.
Anyways, the lineup:
Hangmen also hang!
The Woman in the Window
Scarlet Street
D.O.A
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
T-Men
And The Hitch-Hiker
Ace in the Hole

rauldc14 11-09-21 07:22 PM

I completed the challenge. I watched Crossfire. Didn't care for it much though.

Citizen Rules 11-09-21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252087)
So this is what I have set up for Noirvember, and I hope to get though it, but it may be a bit of a challenge with the 2021 challenge, 26th HOF and a few films from the aughts count down that I need to finish off before sending in my ballot. Thankfully, Turkey day is two weeks away and I’ll be able to marathon a bunch that weekend….I hope.
Anyways, the lineup:
Hangmen also hang!
The Woman in the Window
Scarlet Street
D.O.A
T-Men
And The Hitch-Hiker
Ace in the Hole
Nice choices there, I haven't seen Hangmen Also Hang! and maybe I've seen T-Men but the rest I've seen and all real good. I might rewatch some of those myself.

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2252088)
Then you need to watch another:p I wasn't the biggest fan of Crossfire, outside of Gloria Grahame's character.

Wyldesyde19 11-09-21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2252088)
I think I remember Grahame’s part not being particularly well written, and completely underutilized in this film, especially compared to The Big Heat.

rauldc14 11-09-21 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252101)
I think I remember Grahame’s part not being particularly well written, and completely underutilized in this film, especially compared to The Big Heat.
She should have been good, but I think I agree with you here.

Jinnistan 11-09-21 08:48 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/6f...bd4eb4c78b.gif

It seemed like a real spiffy thread. Maybe too spiffy. Maybe I'm too old for this spiff. Maybe a stiff snort of dry spiff is exactly what I need to get through these pock-infested streets on this long journey straight into the hot swill of palookaville.

Wyldesyde19 11-09-21 09:03 PM

It was a regular thread at night in MoFo. And then she posted. A dame by the name of Takoma. I could tell right away from her post that she was trouble. The kind of trouble you find yourself posting away at midnight trying to forget…..

SpelingError 11-10-21 07:34 PM

The Big Heat: This film was really dark and, while the police procedural elements were entertaining (albeit slightly familiar), the disturbing parts of the film stuck out to me the most. The story starts out as an intriguing, simple enough mystery as detective Dave Bannion is assigned to investigate the suicide of another officer. As he investigates further though, more people are revealed to be involved in the crime, the bodies slowly and unexpectedly pile up, and he encounters Vince Stone (Lee Marvin plays his character to perfection), a sadistic woman beater who has several run-ins with various characters. This film deals with some disturbing concepts as it moves towards its inevitable conclusion, and the ending itself ranks amongst the most powerful film endings I've seen in a while. Now I'm eager to check out more of Lang's noirs.

Takoma11 11-10-21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252112)
It was a regular thread at night in MoFo. And then she posted. A dame by the name of Takoma. I could tell right away from her post that she was trouble. The kind of trouble you find yourself posting away at midnight trying to forget…..
It's sweet that you think I'm the femme fatale of this thread, when clearly it's SpelingError. Look at him, with those sultry write ups and thoughts wrapped in tight spoiler tags that just won't quit.

I'm just here to make sure you say nice things about The Hitch-Hiker.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....465&f=1&nofb=1

ThatDarnMKS 11-10-21 08:11 PM

*crosses fingers and hopes everyone will think I'm the Robert Mitchum of the thread but secretly knows I'm the Peter Lorre*

CROSSFIRE: I dug it quite a bit. Like No Way Out, I wasn't expecting it to tackle racial issues in such a straight forward way. Combined with Dmytryck's skilled eye (also seen in Murder, My Sweet), the talents of the 3 Roberts (Young, Mitchum and Ryan) and an introduction of Grahame to the noir genre, I'd consider this among the standout watches thus far.

Takoma11 11-10-21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2252425)
CROSSFIRE: I dug it quite a bit. Like No Way Out, I wasn't expecting it to tackle racial issues in such a straight forward way. Combined with Dmytryck's skilled eye (also seen in Murder, My Sweet), the talents of the 3 Roberts (Young, Mitchum and Ryan) and an introduction of Grahame to the noir genre, I'd consider this among the standout watches thus far.
I really enjoyed Crossfire when I watched it just a few months ago. As you say, the way that it explicitly layers bigotry into the mystery is a (pleasant) surprise.

In a weird way, this would almost make an interesting double bill with The Best Years of Our Lives, which is distinctly not noir.

GulfportDoc 11-10-21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2252015)
Black Widow (1954)...Yahoo, my first noir for Noirvember! I enjoyed it too. The funny thing is I'd seen it before and didn't even realize it until the police investigation part. I couldn't remember the ending either, so I still guessed the wrong murderer. BTW I suck at solving movie murder mysteries.

I had fun watching this as I love old movies and like all of the actors in the film. Was that little Peggy Ann Garner from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Jane Eyre...Wow I didn't even recognize her at first AND I did of course know she was in the movie. I'd have to say she gave the most natural performance of the cast...she kinda creeped me out, which was the idea of how her character was wrote.

Ginger Rogers had the plumb role and really got to sink her acting teeth into her juicy character. Gene Tierney is a fav of mine, it's too bad she didn't get more character build up and air time. I like George Raft even though he's not the greatest actor. And I liked Van Heflin though he's played better roles and been in better noirs.

I don't consider this a noir, even though both IMDB and Wiki tag it as such. It felt more like a stageplay of a murder mystery (which I also like). Nunnally Johnson sure filmed it play-like, especially in the final act scene. It was good to watch this again just to see one of the few films that Nunnally Johnson directed he only did eight...his claim to fame is in his wonderful scripts.
Nice commentary. I don't consider it a noir either. It was a CinemaScope color mystery film. I think Ginger Rogers was miscast, although she gave it a good shot. Wouldn't you like to have seen B. Davis, Tallulah B., or Gloria Grahame in that role?

GulfportDoc 11-10-21 08:34 PM

Crossfire (1947)

Directed by the inestimable Edward Dmytryk, and starring the 3 Roberts (Young, Mitchum, Ryan) along with the always fascinating Gloria Grahame, the film is a complex whodunit with noir treatment by cinematographer J. Roy Hunt.

John Paxton wrote the screenplay based upon the novel
The Brick Foxhole written by Richard Brooks. In the book the object of murder was a homosexual. But since homosexuality could not be mentioned in 1947, the unfortunate character was switched to Jewish. In that way the premise was somewhat weakened, since Jews were not as heavily ostracized to the degree that homosexuals were. The comparatively gentler prejudice that Jews received at the time was showcased in Gentleman’s Agreement, released later that year.

Nonetheless, starting with a somewhat shaky premise did not hurt the film’s power, which was predominantly provide
d by its actors, direction and photography. Robert Young was especially effective somewhat against type, playing a semi-hardboiled police investigator. His continual pipe smoking actually served to soften his character, giving him more of a fatherly or professorial image.

Robert Ryan on the other hand registered a powerful performance of a near sadistic, dominant bully type-- a role which would more or less pigeonhole him for the rest of his career. Mitchum was his silky self in a portrayal of an honest concerned everyman soldier who simply wants to get to the truth. And Gloria Grahame played a tramp who is finally convinced to tell what she knows.

Crossfire is not in the highest ranking on my list of personal favorite noir pictures, nor in general are films which prominently feature aggressive bully types (e.g. Kiss of Death, also in '47). Still this is a well done memorable picture with notable themes and performances, and is an essential example of top film making from Hollywood’s golden noir era.

Thief 11-10-21 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252087)

Anyways, the lineup:
Hangmen also hang!
The Woman in the Window
Scarlet Street
D.O.A

T-Men
And The Hitch-Hiker
Ace in the Hole
I've only seen the bolded ones, but they're all good/great. I haven't seen the others, but have heard good things about Martha Ivers and Woman in the Window.

Citizen Rules 11-10-21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2252427)
Nice commentary. I don't consider it a noir either. It was a CinemaScope color mystery film. I think Ginger Rogers was miscast, although she gave it a good shot. Wouldn't you like to have seen B. Davis, Tallulah B., or Gloria Grahame in that role?
Myself, I readily bought into Ginger's performance & character. I liked her most of all...After the movie was over, I asked my wife what she thought of the film and she liked the movie OK. I then said something to the effect that
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
It was too bad Ginger Rogers had turn out to be the killer. My wife then said, 'well she was nasty to everyone through out the movie.' And I said quite sincerely, 'really I didn't realize that' and I didn't! I just thought she was snooty.

It must have been my perception of Ginger herself that made me not see her character as being negative, (except when the murderer is revealed of course.)
I liked the movie and for it's over all tone Ginger fit the bill. I don't think it would've highlighted Gloria's talent very well, not her type of movie it was too light and play like (not that I minded).

Bette Davis, yeah she could do it, eyes closed. I'm not real familiar with Tallulah Bankhead. Funny thing is that the last person I heard mention Tallulah was Dorothy. True story!

ThatDarnMKS 11-10-21 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2252426)
I really enjoyed Crossfire when I watched it just a few months ago. As you say, the way that it explicitly layers bigotry into the mystery is a (pleasant) surprise.

In a weird way, this would almost make an interesting double bill with The Best Years of Our Lives, which is distinctly not noir.
Have you seen No Way Out yet? It's in the Fox Noir collection on Criterion.

*Eyes unwatched copy of BYOOL* I'll get to it. I swear! I am interested in rewatching A Gentleman's Agreement, which came out the same year and stole all the awards. I remember really liking that film but many of the details have faded as to why. That would likely make a pretty interesting pairing as well.

Wyldesyde19 11-10-21 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2252421)
It's sweet that you think I'm the femme fatale of this thread, when clearly it's SpelingError. Look at him, with those sultry write ups and thoughts wrapped in tight spoiler tags that just won't quit.

I'm just here to make sure you say nice things about The Hitch-Hiker.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....465&f=1&nofb=1
She had made her intentions clear. Either I write a good review for The Hitch-Hiker….or I’d get another gif expressing her disappointment. A difficult choice, for sure. One I would have to tread carefully with, like walking on the razors edge, all under her watchful eye, fingers ready at the keyboard to unleash her own brand of discontent.

Takoma11 11-10-21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDarnMKS (Post 2252433)
Have you seen No Way Out yet? It's in the Fox Noir collection on Criterion.

*Eyes unwatched copy of BYOOL* I'll get to it. I swear! I am interested in rewatching A Gentleman's Agreement, which came out the same year and stole all the awards. I remember really liking that film but many of the details have faded as to why. That would likely make a pretty interesting pairing as well.
I have seen No Way Out, but it's been over a decade. At one point I asked someone to rent it for me from a video store and ended up with the 80s version. Son, I was disappoint.

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252436)
She had made her intentions clear. Either I write a good review for The Hitch-Hiker….or I’d get another gif expressing her disappointment. A difficult choice, for sure. One I would have to tread carefully with, like walking on the razors edge, all under her watchful eye, fingers ready at the keyboard to unleash her own brand of discontent.
You do know how to post a disappointment gif, don't you? You just put your IMG tags together and . . . post.

Wyldesyde19 11-10-21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2252440)
You do know how to post a disappointment gif, don't you? You just put your IMG tags together and . . . post.
Congratulations, you just made this weird….
*backs out the doorway*

Takoma11 11-10-21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2252441)
Congratulations, you just made this weird….
*backs out the doorway*
https://media.giphy.com/media/UtEUhk...dweC/giphy.gif

But honestly, what more would you expect from the role I'm now playing in this thread, ie William Tallman's one eye that never closes, even when he sleeps.