Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Wire (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=9948)

SamsoniteDelilah 02-26-05 03:15 PM

The Wire

The Wire
season one, episode one

Ext. night: Rivulets of blood creep across pavement, flashing in the lights of a police cruiser, we pan across a body, and police investigating. Overlooking the scene from a tenement stoop are a young black guy and a 30ish male cop, Det. McNulty, seated side by side.

DM: So your boy's name was what?
YBG: Snot.
DM: Called the guy Snot?
YBG: Snot Boogie
DM: God. Snot Boogie. You like the name?
YBG: What?
DM: Snot Boogie.
YBG: quiet, looks on
DM: This kid, whose mama went to the trouble to christen him Omar Isaah Betts... You know, he forgets his jacket, his nose starts running and some *******, instead of giving him a Kleenex, he calls him "Snot". So he's Snot forever. Doesn't seem fair.
YBG: Life just be that way, I guess.

DM: So, who shot Snot?
YBG: I ain't goin' to no court.
pause, filled only by the barking of dogs, somewhere in the neighborhood
YBG: Mother ****er didn't have to put no cap in him though.
DM: Definitely not.
YBG: He coulda just whooped his *** like we always whoop his ***.
DM: I agree with you.
YBG: He killed Snot. Snot been doing the same **** since I don't know how long. You don't kill a man over some bull****.

YBG: I'm sayin': every Friday night in an alley behind the Cut Rate, we rollin' bones, you know? I mean all them boys, we roll til late.
DM: Alley crap game, right?
YBG: Like every time, Snot, he'd fade a few shooters, play it out til the pot's deep. Snatch and run.
DM: What, every time?
YBG: Couldn't help hisself.
DM: Let me understand. Every Friday night, you and your boys are shootin? crap, right? And every Friday night, your pal Snot Boogie... he'd wait til there's cash on the ground and he'd grab it and run away? You let him do that?
YBG: We'd catch him and beat his *** but ain't nobody ever go past that.

DM: I've gotta ask you: if every time Snot Boogie would grab the money and run away... why'd you even let him in the game?
YBG: What?
DM: Well, if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why'd you let him play?
YBG: Got to. It's America, man.

Discuss.

MovieMaker5087 02-26-05 06:22 PM

I don't get it. Too short for a TV show. Web series? Anywho, I don't get it.

blibblobblib 02-26-05 10:16 PM

This show sounds fun. Is this the new series with Hank Azaria(sp!)?

SamsoniteDelilah 02-27-05 01:36 AM

This is a TV series that hit DVD a couple of months ago. I rented the first three ep's this weekend and have been impressed with the writing. The dialogue is a combination street talk and wonderful, delicious $10 words. It centers around a good cop whose integrity make him unpopular with a lot of people. Lots of great characters, very solid acting. Not many have seen it, but those few who have sing it's praises.

Tacitus 02-27-05 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
This is a TV series that hit DVD a couple of months ago.
Thank the Lord! :D I thought this was a creative writing thread for a minute.*

*The thought of which makes me prone to sudden and random acts of violence.

ash_is_the_gal 02-27-05 06:35 AM

it sorta sounds like a spoof off of all those too many to count cop detective shows, which could be a good thing!

SamsoniteDelilah 02-27-05 01:31 PM

It's not a spoof, but I can totally see where you're getting that. The last line struck me as both funny and sort of sad, because the guy totally meant it when he said it. That was partly what I found interesting about the scene and the series. It's odd, being American but talking to people outside the country, you get a more objective look at how "America" is percieved. So a line like that reads right on the line between being what we really are like (inclusive) and what we're percieved like (sometimes stupid).... all of which adds up to brilliant writing, if you axe me.

LordSlaytan 02-27-05 01:40 PM

...if you axe me.
OMD!!! You be a racist!!! ;D

SamsoniteDelilah 02-27-05 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
OMD!!! You be a racist!!! ;D
I don't even watch NASCAR.

LordSlaytan 02-27-05 01:50 PM

Obviously not...apparently you watch MTV Cribs.

linespalsy 02-27-05 05:42 PM

Ah, shucks. I thought maybe this thread might be about the first-wave british punk band, Wire. dot-dash-dip-flash-don't-crash

SamsoniteDelilah 02-27-05 05:58 PM

It wasn't, but we could branch out...

chicagofrog 03-01-05 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Obviously not...apparently you watch MTV Cribs.
who doesn't?
(secretly?)

chicagofrog 03-01-05 11:36 AM

double post double post double post... :p :devil:
but i have to congrat you for the intriguing thread, Sams'!
makes me wanna see it, but it'll probably come to the Olde World after the next war against Korea or Iran...........

ash_is_the_gal 03-01-05 03:12 PM

It's not a spoof, but I can totally see where you're getting that. The last line struck me as both funny and sort of sad, because the guy totally meant it when he said it. That was partly what I found interesting about the scene and the series. It's odd, being American but talking to people outside the country, you get a more objective look at how "America" is percieved. So a line like that reads right on the line between being what we really are like (inclusive) and what we're percieved like (sometimes stupid).... all of which adds up to brilliant writing, if you axe me.

ahh, gotcha. you're right, thats brilliant!

TheUsualSuspect 09-19-08 12:42 AM

Re: The Wire

Well, I've heard nothing but praise for this show and when I saw that I could get the first 4 seasons for 60 bucks, I snatched them up.

Interesting that no one else has decided to talk about this show yet.

I've only seen the first seasons (About 8 episodes) and I really love it. It's a different take on cop shows if you ask me, non of this one crime solved in one hour crap the CSI or Law and Order does. I guess that's the difference between HBO and prime time.

I love how we get the views from both the criminals and the cops.

I didn't like Dominic West in The Forgotten, but here I dig him.

I'll come back and post my thoughts on the rest of the season when I finish it.

Tacitus 09-19-08 10:14 AM

I've seen each season twice now (and could quite happily watch them many more times) and can safely say that The Wire is the best cop show I've ever seen.

You've picked up a bargain there - even online it'd cost me around £75 for a complete set and pricing of HBO dramas in terrestrial shops here is laughable. I saw season 6 of The Sopranos in HMV yesterday for 60 (yep, six - zero) quid!

If you're enjoying season 1 I'd say that you'll find 2 even more satisfying. When you get to season 4 you'll wonder why you ever need to watch another TV show again. It's that good. ;)

Pyro Tramp 09-19-08 10:26 AM

Yeah, this has come highly recommended to me as well, saw the first episode. Quite a long watch but imagine once it gets going, it'll be well worth it.

The Prestige 04-20-09 12:03 PM

Fantastic stuff. I admit, it took me a LONG ****ing time to get into this show, but man does it pay you back in the end. I've got a lot more to say on it later on.

TheUsualSuspect 04-20-09 05:16 PM

Finished seasons 2 and 3. For me the 1st season is still the best. The second one was good, but took too long to get things moving. The last few episodes of the 3rd season were really intense, but I think it spent too much time on the hamsterdam stuff.

Looking forward to the next two.

honeykid 04-20-09 09:51 PM

You're in luck TUS, seasons 4 & 5 are superb IMO. It really is one of the best tv programmes I've ever seen and certainly one of my favourites.

SamsoniteDelilah 04-21-09 02:05 AM

Wow, this thread had a resurgence during the exact weekend when I was moving house, and I completely missed the talk. I LOVED this show - the writing (the dialogue, situations, characters, themes), the acting, the grit and humor and pathos. It's almost silly to compare other television to it, it's that elevated in scope and accomplishment from everything else out there.

The Prestige 05-10-09 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 522276)
Finished seasons 2 and 3. For me the 1st season is still the best. The second one was good, but took too long to get things moving. The last few episodes of the 3rd season were really intense, but I think it spent too much time on the hamsterdam stuff.

Looking forward to the next two.

Yeah, it's only the last 3 or 4 episodes of season 3 that make that season. Wood Harris is mesmerising.

The Prestige 05-19-09 12:30 PM

Ok just got done with season 4. ****in' hell, what a heartbreaking season! Seriously guys, this is possibly the most important television series in recent memory, and that's saying a lot. Not since Buffy have I seen a television series go beyond it's possibilities and rise above it's ambitions. Incredible stuff, seriously.

I think I might have to make another thread stating just why everybody HAS to watch The Wire. The phrase is overused, but this really is a MUST SEE.

Tacitus 05-19-09 03:21 PM

I was in my local HMV today and they've got the complete box set....for 100 quid. ;)

David Simon is appearing at an arts festival in Belfast at the end of the month and I'm seriously tempted at going down.

honeykid 05-20-09 12:56 AM

I don't know if they still have it, but you can get the Complete Series boxset for slightly less on Play.com.

Tacitus 05-20-09 05:34 AM

I've got the regular editions, to be honest, but the complete set is better value than the £25 a season I've seen.

downthesun 05-20-09 06:03 AM

Absoloutly amazing show, the writing is brilliant and it just seems so realisitc. Also, the characters in it are so well developed and thought out. Omar Little has to be one of my favourite characters from any show. It's up there with Sopranos as one of the best shows i've ever seen.

honeykid 05-20-09 11:00 AM

downthesun's comment about Omar made me wonder; Is there anyone out there who's favourite character isn't Omar?

Obviously the answer is yes, but IMO, there's just no competition for that title. Of course, I once asked a similar question about Ross in Friends (Does anyone like Ross?) as was a little taken aback by just how many people said that, not only did they like the character, but he was their favourite. It just didn't seem possible to me. Opinions huh?

Tacitus 05-20-09 11:17 AM

Bunk, Rawls, Bodie, Prop Joe, that stripper from, I think, season two (the girl who's just in one scene, in the changing room) and, of course, Brother Mouzone (yes, I had to look up how to spell it).

"That's real muscle" ;)

I also love Freamon's lovely bandy legs and the way Daniels walks - he's like Robocop! :D

Yeah, I got love for The Bunk...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...tv-watch_l.jpg

downthesun 05-20-09 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 532896)
downthesun's comment about Omar made me wonder; Is there anyone out there who's favourite character isn't Omar?

Obviously the answer is yes, but IMO, there's just no competition for that title. Of course, I once asked a similar question about Ross in Friends (Does anyone like Ross?) as was a little taken aback by just how many people said that, not only did they like the character, but he was their favourite. It just didn't seem possible to me. Opinions huh?
All the ones Tacitus said and I'd add Bubbles, Daniels and of course Stringer Bell to that list. Made one of those facebook top 5 lists a few days ago for "Your favourite characters from The Wire" and it was hands down the hardest TV character list i've done, took me ages to narrow it down to a final five. In the end I chose Omar, Prop Joe, Bodie, Lester and Stringer Bell

The Prestige 05-21-09 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 532896)

Interesting, Honeykid. It's true that most people's fav character is usually Omar. Or Stringer Bell, whom I absolutely adore as well, especially since Idris Elba is from my town. But they certainly aren't my favourite characters. I think they are interesting, but my favourite character they most certainly are not. For me...it has to be Avon Barksdale and possibly Bodie after watching the events of season 4.

With Avon Barksdale it has more to do with Wood Harris' portrayal of him rather than the way the character is written. I think that the character is more complex than most people realise. If you look at how he gazes at other characters and his body language...he is telling a story. It's like the man doesn't TRUELY trust anybody and he's got this 'every man for himself' mentality that, in little moments, have conflicted with his obligation to reward those loyal to him and his community. It's one of the most exciting performances on the show for me.

JD Williams' Bodie is another interesting development. I absolutely HATED Bodie after the end of season one. And i'm sure you guys know why. But in season 4 I couldn't help but root for the little bad boy - a tough thing to say considering the stunt he pulled in season 1. That's why I don't get why people were all sad for Stringer Bell at the end of season 3. I mean, Stringer doesn't seek redemption the way that Bodie does in season 4. Williams has just got terrific instincts as an actor and pulled off quite a feat, man. Kudos to that kid.

The Prestige 05-21-09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 532901)
I also love Freamon's lovely bandy legs and the way Daniels walks - he's like Robocop! :D

Yeah, I got love for The Bunk...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...tv-watch_l.jpg

I've come to proper dislike Bunk, to be honest. Specially in the 4th season. Before he was just mildly annoying. But now he comes across as such a self righteous arsehole. He is a good detective and all that, but he seems to look down his noses at other people rather than give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus he never has to balls to challenge his superiors. He gives in too easily, unlike McNulty (another character I absolutely detest). But when it's somebody he feels he has a little of levearage on, he acts like a prick to them, i.e. Omar, Herc. I think he is a waste man, personally.

McNulty takes the piss, though. Seriously. And why does Dominic West get first billing while the other actors are listed alphabetically?? It's like he is a lead. He is part of an ensemble and had the LEAST screen time out of any of the main characters in season 4. Seems a bit unfair to me.

Tacitus 05-21-09 01:58 PM

The thing I like about Bodie is watching a young actor grow (in terms of his craft, not physically) through the course of the entire story arc. I think he became the most believable actor in the whole show. :)

EDIT - I'm with you on Dom West, actually (The Bunk is too damned cool to criticise!). I got the feeling that the show had run out of ideas for his character by season three, hence the daft nonsense he gets up to in 5.

The Prestige 05-21-09 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 533339)
The thing I like about Bodie is watching a young actor grow (in terms of his craft, not physically) through the course of the entire story arc. I think he became the most believable actor in the whole show. :)

EDIT - I'm with you on Dom West, actually (The Bunk is too damned cool to criticise!). I got the feeling that the show had run out of ideas for his character by season three, hence the daft nonsense he gets up to in 5.

Oh jeez, McNutly getting longer screen time again, eh? ****in' hell. I might have to forward some of this supposed crap he gets up to in season 5. I seriously can't stand him.

But Tacitus, is you HAD to pick good McNulty moment, which would you pick?

And I don't blame you for making that rather bold statement on Bodie. I felt like I was watching a documentary when it came to his scenes, he is THAT believeable, you're right. And yeah, acting skill wise, Williams did grow now that I think of it. I'm rewatching season 2 on BBC 2.

Tacitus 05-21-09 02:42 PM

Hmmm, I guess my problem with McNulty (and it's not a reflection on West as an actor) is that, of the main characters, he's the only real stereotype - the rough diamond, insubordinate cop.

His CSI work with Bunk (where the only word they say is 'f**k') in the apartment is probably my standout, but it went on a minute or two too long to be perfect. ;)

The Prestige 05-24-09 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 533352)
Hmmm, I guess my problem with McNulty (and it's not a reflection on West as an actor) is that, of the main characters, he's the only real stereotype - the rough diamond, insubordinate cop.

His CSI work with Bunk (where the only word they say is 'f**k') in the apartment is probably my standout, but it went on a minute or two too long to be perfect. ;)

Lol, I remember that! Yeah, that was a funny scene. I also liked how he told DeAngelo's mum about herself. She's was so selfish it's unreal. He told her what needed to be said.

And yeah, I see what you mean about McNulty. Too cliched. West is a decent actor but McNulty and Greggs are noticeably the weakest characters in the show. You've got me quite worried about season 5 now, Tac.

The Prestige 05-24-09 04:09 AM

Oh, and what do you lot think of Major Rawls?? He, along with Lester, is the one I like the most from the 'good' side of the law. The way he delivers his lines, lol, pure awesomeness. I reckon he gets the best lines in the show. Still can't figure him out what his deal is. I'm sure I saw Lester and Rawls in that Damages show together the other day. It was interesting seeing them interact as slightly different characters.

Anybody else got love for Rawls?

Tacitus 05-24-09 04:19 AM

As you say, he's got some of the best lines in the show. ;)

He's got a really familiar face too - kinda like a young(er) Gene Hackman - but looking at his IMDB entry it seems John Doman has been in very little I've seen before The Wire. Mainly video games...

EDIT - I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'd expect to have seen someone of his age, confidence and presence to have been in more high profile roles. The world is full of good actors in need of a break...

The Prestige 05-24-09 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 534092)
As you say, he's got some of the best lines in the show. ;)

He's got a really familiar face too - kinda like a young(er) Gene Hackman - but looking at his IMDB entry it seems John Doman has been in very little I've seen before The Wire. Mainly video games...

EDIT - I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'd expect to have seen someone of his age, confidence and presence to have been in more high profile roles. The world is full of good actors in need of a break...

Lol at video games! I thought you were joking aswell until I too looked up his filmography. Yeah, it's definitely a shame that there are so many quality actors out there that are underexposed.

And now that you mentioned it, yeah, he does resemble Gene Hackman quite a bit! That's probably where the familiarity comes from. I thought I recognised him in other films but, as you've pointed out, he ain't done much. Apparently he used to be in the Navy, which makes you wonder how he made the transition to acting.

Also, I have another question for you, Tac - and if this question is answered in season 5 then don't bother answering it - do you reckon that Avon would have ordered DeAngelo to be killed had Stringer Bell not done so?? Curious to know your answer to that..

Tacitus 05-24-09 04:56 AM

I think it's the worn Brillo pad hairstyle that put me in mind of Hackman. ;)

Fans of Clarke Peters will have seen him recently over here in Endgame and he's coming up (if not already - I've never seen it) as a recurring character in Holby City. Rumours that Lance Reddick is starring in a live action Thunderbirds movie have been strenuously denied, however...

I think Avon would have offed D, for sure. The Game's The Game. ;)

The Prestige 05-24-09 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 534099)
Rumours that Lance Reddick is starring in a live action Thunderbirds movie have been strenuously denied, however...

Lol! Took me a moment to realise you were joking, lol. But then, i've gotten no sleep so cut me some slack :D. I like his performance as Daniels, though..it's just so...proper. Man always has his back straight. Like you said, he is Robocop 2000, baby ;)

Yeah I heard that Clarke Peters was gonna be on Holby City. Might find myself catching the poor man's Casualty soon. I didn't get to see Endgame, though.

You honestly think Avon would have done D?? Y'see, I dunno. I mean, Avon was understandly really upset when Stringer confessed. At first I thought he was upset with the fact that Stringer did it without his consent, but after rewatching some of season 2, I honestly don't think he had it in him. I mean, i'm sure he thought about and all, but I don't think he would have killed his own nephew. If you look into his eyes and listen to what he says in the aftermath of D's death, you realise just how genuinely hurt and broken he is by it. He doesn't even think about the burden that's been lifted until Wee Bay mentions the 'advantage' of D's death. It's only when people remind him that it was 'maybe for the best' that Avon machos up a little bit. It's there but it's very subtle.

Tacitus 05-25-09 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 534106)
It's only when people remind him that it was 'maybe for the best' that Avon machos up a little bit. It's there but it's very subtle.
Which is how I think it would have played if stringer had gone to Avon before he did the deed and kept him in the loop. If D had, as they say here, 'touted him out' then Avon would have been looking at life with no parole and the complete dismantling of his empire. Breyana (sp?) would have been a problem but it could have been hidden in the same way with the same eventual resolution. ;)

The Prestige 05-26-09 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 534387)
Which is how I think it would have played if stringer had gone to Avon before he did the deed and kept him in the loop. If D had, as they say here, 'touted him out' then Avon would have been looking at life with no parole and the complete dismantling of his empire. Breyana (sp?) would have been a problem but it could have been hidden in the same way with the same eventual resolution. ;)
I can understand how you can see that. I mean, it seems logical given the potential demise of the Barksdale operation...but there is a reason why Stringer never kept Avon in the loop. If you remember, String visits Avon in jail right before he orders the hit on D. They are having this conversation with Avon looking all lethargic and ****, and then says, as if he is trying to reassure Stringer, that 'if the worst comes to the worst i've been fair to him, haven't I?'

Now, if you look at how the camera observes Stringer's reaction to that, you could tell that he knew deep down that Avon just didn't have the ruthless capacity to have his own flesh and blood killed. Otherwise why not suggest it to Avon? Especially after Avon said that.

Tacitus 05-27-09 05:28 AM

It's possible but I don't buy that, when faced with the possibility of life inside and the end of his empire, Avon wouldn't have taken the ultimate decision against someone who he already could see was weakening and one who had already almost turned against him. Family or not.

We'll never know, though. ;)

Pyro Tramp 06-17-09 02:16 PM

Don't want to read past the first page in case of spoilers, if there are any? Mid way through Season 3 atm, thought season 2 been the best though

Tacitus 06-17-09 02:52 PM

At the risk of great injury I've looked at pages 2 and 3 and, yes, don't read them until you've done with Season 4 at least. Of course, when you've done with Season 4 you're gonna want to watch it again straight away so we'll see you in a bit. ;D

Brother Blue 06-17-09 03:06 PM

The Wire is probably my all time favourite TV show. It's probably the most well written piece of television drama on TV, or that was on TV and it doesnt hold back to shield it's audience from the realities of the everyday situations within this world. Every character has their own set of weaknesses and faults and what should be fixed positions within the show never turn out that way. The cold blooded killer can have a heart of gold, and the cop can be as crooked as the local drug king pin. The entire show paints a much more realistic portrait of any modern day inner city, filled with people who were born into a situation they probably will never get out of due to the lack of care and interest shown upon them by those in power and cops who are bogged down in the beauracracies of being a modern day police officer and the feeling that you'll never be able to get anything done worth doing.

I've already seen the entire series when it was shown here on TV and then a couple times more an DVD and it's a show I never tire of unlike shows similar to it such as The Sopranos and The Shield which are good shows in their own right but in my opinion do not come close to the complexity and intelligence that The Wire offers it's viewers. For those of you who are new to the show I would advise you to stick with it because by the end you will have experienced something extraordinary.

What I love about The Wire is that it does not limit itself to being a one episode story arc show that many shows do. It allows the story to play itself out over a number of episodes with minor storys to play out within that story arc in the meantime. I often hear The Wire be compared to a book and every season is one act of that book and every episode a chapter, and when I first heard that I thought it ws quite pretentious. But when you think about it, it's absolutly true, all threads of the story are current throughtout, right up until the end. Storys that come to light in the second season come back in the fifth (dont worry I wont give anytihing away :D) and the fact that nothing ever really changes is as prevelant in the first episiode as it is in the last, more so even.

I wish more television was like this, another two shows that have a similar style are Deadwood and Carnivale which were both cut short before they even had the chance to shine which is a terrible shame because both had majoy plusses on their side, yes maybe they were never going to be of the stature that The Wire is but they were both well made and had exceptional stories and casts.

But it would seem that most people like that fact that a murder get's sloved within the hour because whilst The Wire was barely viewed by anyone, shows such as Law & Order thrived. Which I really cant understand, because on those types of shows it's far to easy to find the murder or the rapist and as we know it's not like that at all in the real world. What the Wire gives up is entertaining realism that is often tragic at one moment and funny the next. Which is why I consider it to be the best television show ever made.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/TheWire400.jpg

How can you not love Omar?

jadelee 06-19-09 10:24 AM

Why? I love him...:)

The Prestige 07-04-09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 541490)
At the risk of great injury I've looked at pages 2 and 3 and, yes, don't read them until you've done with Season 4 at least. Of course, when you've done with Season 4 you're gonna want to watch it again straight away so we'll see you in a bit. ;D

Indeed mate, indeed. To be honest, I didn't see it getting any better than season 2 (a pretty underrated season), but then along comes season 4 and, man, I dunno if anyone can relate, but you ever get that almost orgasmic feeling when you are watching something so special, so artistic and so effective that you almost want to explode and watch the thing over and over?

Pyro, usually I wouldn't hype up something so much at the risk of you being underwhelmed when you eventually see it, but I can't stress enough how amazing season 4 is. I think that The Wire reached a new high with that season. Forget waiting 3 weeks after season 3 finishes to watch it on BBC 2, buy it immediately and have it handy for when season 3 concludes.

The Prestige 07-04-09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brother Blue (Post 541495)
But it would seem that most people like that fact that a murder get's sloved within the hour because whilst The Wire was barely viewed by anyone, shows such as Law & Order thrived. Which I really cant understand, because on those types of shows it's far to easy to find the murder or the rapist and as we know it's not like that at all in the real world. What the Wire gives up is entertaining realism that is often tragic at one moment and funny the next. Which is why I consider it to be the best television show ever made.

Excellent post, dude. Thought it was just me and Dave contributing to this thread for a min. Basically, The Wire is just too unconventional for the majority of viewers around the world. That's just the cold hard truth. It's not like them ******** CSI or Law & Order shows where you can come and watch it 30 mins in and immediately know what's going on. This show is far more intricate than that and practically has a style that basically forces those who want to watch it listen carefully to EVERY conversation. Given the type of programmes we've all been conditioned to, it's pretty difficult to immerse yourself in such material, but boy is it rewarding. I can't imagine never having seen The Wire. Shows within a similar genre just can't compete with it.

And Omar is cool, but Avon Barksdale just does it for me. Officially my favourite character (and actor) from the show after rewatching season 3 on BBC 2. He's not like them middle aged wise guys in The Sopranos who don't know where if they are coming or going, he's just a gangsta, i suppose. :)

The Prestige 07-19-09 07:26 PM

Please lets not let this thread die a slow death :)

This is my favourite poster from the show. It represents a fundamental aspect of the show. The reflection signifying parellel stories.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Season_3.jpg

Which posters do you guys like the best?

TheUsualSuspect 07-19-09 08:01 PM

Avon Barksdale in the house!!!!

Brother Blue 07-19-09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 549810)
Please lets not let this thread die a slow death :)

This is my favourite poster from the show. It represents a fundamental aspect of the show. The reflection signifying parellel stories.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Season_3.jpg

Which posters do you guys like the best?
I think that one probably is the best. It sums that season and basically the whole series up until that point perfectly.

I also like this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Season_4.jpg

I'm not sure how far everyone is with the series so I wont give anything away. But, how those characters have changed from that picture at the end of the season is just brilliant and heartbreaking.

Season 4 is my favourite season.

The Prestige 07-21-09 08:13 AM

Indeed, i like the season 4 poster as well. Just wish it wasn't red. Prestige hates the colour red :(

Season 4 starts tonight on BBC 2 for those in the UK, so please don't miss an episode if you are at least interested in the show. You won't regret it :)

Pyro Tramp 07-21-09 09:04 AM

I ran out of DVDs after 3, watched first few eps of 4 online but couldn't find ep 4. Looking forward to being able to finish the show of!

The Prestige 07-21-09 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 550209)
I ran out of DVDs after 3, watched first few eps of 4 online but couldn't find ep 4. Looking forward to being able to finish the show of!

Yeah mate, you're in for a treat, that's all I got to say. Can't wait to discuss it more when you and others have seen it. I can almost guarantee you'll be saying it's the best season.

TheUsualSuspect 07-28-09 06:00 PM

I'm back to finishing this series. On season 4 now, The third episode, so still in the early stages.

I do think the 3rd season has the best poster. Yet I do like season 2, don't know why though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

The Prestige 07-31-09 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 552550)
I'm back to finishing this series. On season 4 now, The third episode, so still in the early stages.

I do think the 3rd season has the best poster. Yet I do like season 2, don't know why though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

I don't know why you like it either! :p

Jokes. Nah, it kinda has that..cult feel to it, maybe. It's an alright poster, FAR better than the uninspired season 5 'poster'.

Speakin' of which I STILL haven't seen season 5 ):

The Prestige 08-08-09 10:14 AM

And so I finally did it...i've watched all series of The Wire. Season 5 was a good season overall, but it is also arguably the weakest season of the show. But don't get it twisted, that's not to say it's a bad season...it has some terrific moments and the whole media theme works out brilliantly, but Ed Burns and David Simon and co were just never going to top season 4.

WARNING: "Season 4/5 spoilers" spoilers below
I liked how we basically saw the origins of guys like Omar and Bubbles represented through Michael and Dukie, respectfully. Some may say that it was patronising the way that came about, but I felt it was wonderfully executed and made sense.

Also, Avon stole episode two with THAT scene. Superbly acted scene there by him and Jamie Hector, but I have to say that I almost felt sorry for Hector because Wood Harris just chewed up the scenery with ease. Effortless charisma right there. And although this isn't the type of show that revels in such a thing, I have to say that Harris' performance as Avon is iconic. Even more iconic than the Omar character.

Dave, you know what sequences didn't sit well with me...****in' McNulty. I swear to god the creators must have it in it for me because you were right, this season was McNulty overload time. Like they are getting revenge for giving the character a limited role in the 4th season. Imo the McNulty character hurt the season quite a bit and I just couldn't give a damn about his efforts to bring funds to the investigation against Marlo.

Speaking of which, Marlo is a puzzling character. Still confused by that ambiguous ending. Must admit that I wanted him to get his just desserts just like what would normally happen in conventional television shows, but this isn't a normal show so I expected the unexpected. Beautiful television

Tacitus 08-08-09 11:43 AM

I watched season 5 again a few weeks ago. You're right - The Press is beautifully handled but I think the whole team had peaked in the previous season. If only they had handled McNulty and the police funding issue a bit more sensibly they could have had an equal to, say, season 3.

The Prestige 08-09-09 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 555528)
I watched season 5 again a few weeks ago. You're right - The Press is beautifully handled but I think the whole team had peaked in the previous season. If only they had handled McNulty and the police funding issue a bit more sensibly they could have had an equal to, say, season 3.
Agreed. There just wasn't anything they could have done to make the McNaughty character more interesting. They ran out of stuff for him and the other coppers to do and it really showed in this season. What did you think of the ambiguous final Marlo scene? What did it suggest to you?

Tacitus 08-10-09 06:04 AM

That he had the sense (or base instinct) unlike Stringer to realise that he didn't belong - or that he'd have to do a hell of a lot of fitting in - to the world to which he'd been introduced. Of course, Levy is bound to have another crack at him and it's hard to imagine someone like Clay Davis coming from a vastly different home, and he survives ok.

If Émile Zola had been alive today (and American), he'd have written for The Wire. ;)

The Prestige 08-16-09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 556133)
That he had the sense (or base instinct) unlike Stringer to realise that he didn't belong - or that he'd have to do a hell of a lot of fitting in - to the world to which he'd been introduced. Of course, Levy is bound to have another crack at him and it's hard to imagine someone like Clay Davis coming from a vastly different home, and he survives ok.

If Émile Zola had been alive today (and American), he'd have written for The Wire. ;)

I was mainly referring to the scene in which he approaches those two lads, but I do like your take on why he left that dinner party because I was a bit confused as to what was going on there myself. But you've cleared it up and it makes a lot of sense. Must admit I was kinda hoping that Stanfield would finally get his comeupppance but it wasn't to be. :0

And who is Emile Zola?!

honeykid 08-16-09 09:40 PM

He was a French writer and, if I remember correctly, a good friend of the Impressionist painter, Paul Cezzane. That's about as much as I know about him and I only know that because, back in my youth, I really got into Cezzane's work and watched a documentary about him.

Tacitus 08-17-09 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 558462)

And who is Emile Zola?!
Naturalism and determinism, basically.

"I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity."

Pyro Tramp 08-20-09 05:53 PM

Finished Season 4 (except the epilogue bit which cut out the recording), beautifully developed character arcs but didn't find the whole season narrative arc as satisfying, which is probably why hold Season 2 as highest atm.

honeykid 08-20-09 11:22 PM

Wow. Season 2 was the least satisfying for me. I loved season 4.

"Hello! And welcome to Opposites World, with your hosts, HK and Pyro." :D

Tacitus 08-21-09 05:24 AM

I could quite happily call 2 or 4 my favourite Wire season - it really depends on the one I've seen most recently (saw 4 most recently so it's that one for now).

Pyro Tramp 08-21-09 02:37 PM

Maybe season 4 will be better retrospectively after watching season 5 and the threads panning out, thought they set a LOT up to be wrapped up in season 5. There wasn't really any climatic events in it, i found, so never really seemed complete plus accidently read about Bodie before seeing it which was dampener. I liked the self-contained docks story in S2 and the Sobotka character a lot.

The Prestige 08-23-09 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 560271)
Maybe season 4 will be better retrospectively after watching season 5 and the threads panning out, thought they set a LOT up to be wrapped up in season 5. There wasn't really any climatic events in it, i found, so never really seemed complete plus accidently read about Bodie before seeing it which was dampener. I liked the self-contained docks story in S2 and the Sobotka character a lot.
I think after you've watched season 5 you'll return back to previous seasons and change your mind about season 4. I love season 2 as well, and also really liked the Frank Sabotka. Though I felt that the actor that played him laid it on a bit too thick, imo. Seriously thick. My man chewed scenery like nobody's business. But it's still a great season, surprisingly underrated as most people that watch The Wire disregard it slightly and it's often hailed as a weak season alongside season 5.

honeykid 08-23-09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 561088)
... it's still a great season, surprisingly underrated as most people that watch The Wire disregard it slightly and it's often hailed as a weak season alongside season 5.
I'd agree with that. 2 and 5 are the weakest season, IMO.

ballstouweboll24 08-23-09 09:19 PM

My best friend has been trying to get me into this show for months and I was a little hesitant at first because I've never really been into tv drama.

I bought the first Season about a month ago and I've gotta say it's amazing, might even beat Band of Brothers to my favourite tv show

The Prestige 08-24-09 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 561259)
I'd agree with that. 2 and 5 are the weakest season, IMO.
What didn't you like about season 2?

honeykid 08-24-09 10:33 PM

It's not that I didn't like it, more than I think one of the weakest. You have to remember that we're talking about the weakest season of The Wire. Which means that it's still better than about 95% of everything else.

But to try and answer the question. I didn't like the fact that we'd left 'the hood', I didn't like the son and his weasely friend (who's name escapes me at the moment) though I liked the storyline with The Greek.

The Prestige 08-25-09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 561597)
It's not that I didn't like it, more than I think one of the weakest. You have to remember that we're talking about the weakest season of The Wire. Which means that it's still better than about 95% of everything else.

But to try and answer the question. I didn't like the fact that we'd left 'the hood', I didn't like the son and his weasely friend (who's name escapes me at the moment) though I liked the storyline with The Greek.
Hmm, interesting. True, it does feel weird to have the words 'weak' and 'The Wire' in the same sentence. But yeah, I feel ya :D

Ziggy I believe is the guy you are referring to. That's Nicky's cousin and Frank Sobotka's son. I admit, they were pretty unlikeable, but I still felt for them as they were apart of a dying working class.

I too was a bit miffed when I realised the season wasn't going to focus on the ghettos of Baltimore, but then I realised that it was necessary. They had to expand the scope of the show and the docks with it's failed union is the perfect way to expand. I felt it gave the show more depth and wasn't just pertaining to a specific audience but rather everybody.

honeykid 08-25-09 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 561718)
... Ziggy I believe is the guy you are referring to. That's Nicky's cousin and Frank Sobotka's son. I admit, they were pretty unlikeable, but I still felt for them as they were apart of a dying working class.

I too was a bit miffed when I realised the season wasn't going to focus on the ghettos of Baltimore, but then I realised that it was necessary. They had to expand the scope of the show and the docks with it's failed union is the perfect way to expand. I felt it gave the show more depth and wasn't just pertaining to a specific audience but rather everybody.
YES! Ziggy, that's the name I was searching for.

I think you're absolutely right about why the show left the ghetto for the docks and the failing union and the life of the dockworkers mirroring those in the ghetto, but I like what I like and I just wasn't as interested in them. I find that the bad guys are usually more interesting than the good guys, but in season 2, the good guys were definately more interesting to me. That's not a good sign.

Tacitus 08-30-09 06:56 AM

Here's a nice little article I've just read on Slugger O'Toole.

Link

It might be old news to some but it's funny just the same. ;)

Plainview 01-18-10 12:09 AM

Just started watching this show. I'm a couple of episodes away from finishing the first season. I got to say I'm impressed this show is amazing. I hope the next seasons are as good as the first.

honeykid 01-18-10 07:55 AM

Keep us informed on what you think, PV. I think that seasons 1,3 and 4 are far better than the other two, but there's plenty who disagree with that.

honeykid 05-16-10 06:49 PM

Just thought this might be of interest to some of you.

University of York offers degree course on The Wire

The American police show will be studied at the University of York from this autumn as part of its sociology degree.

The 10-week module, thought to be the first of its kind in the Britain, will be offered to all final year students.

Titled The Wire as Social Science Fiction?, it will use the HBO series to look at topics including class, race, political process and the city.

The lecturer behind the course believes the popular show could challenge traditional methods of teaching and presenting social science.

Professor Roger Burrows, head of sociology at the university, said: ''We look at The Wire as a form of entertainment that does the job some of the social sciences have been failing to do.

''It's a contrast to dry, dull, hugely expensive studies that people carry out on the same issues.

''We spend an enormous amount of our time trying to craft books and articles that are read by so few people and it could challenge how we represent the work that we do in the academe.

''I find it odd that we're still using 19th and 20th century forms as a way of disseminating what we do.''

In a multimedia age, he added, students find it increasingly difficult to concentrate on a lecturer ''standing up and talking in front of a power point presentation.''

He said: ''It's easier to get students to use The Wire as a way of looking at the current political system than it is to get them to read a dull book on it.''

But the 24 students who have already signed up for the course will still have their work cut out for them – they will need to have watched all 60 one-hour episodes beforehand.

And the programme will just be a ''point of departure'', Prof Burrows added.

''I find that students, and people in general, are more willing to work their way through difficult stuff if they've already become interested in the issues by watching The Wire,'' he said.

''After watching the show, people are keen to discuss things they weren't previously interested in discussing.

''The show was doing a better job than we were in interesting people in the profound problems of urbanism.''

Set in Baltimore, The Wire follows the fortunes of the American city's drugs dealers and the police officers trying to battle against them.

It counts US President Barack Obama among its fans and has already become the subject of academic study in the States, where Harvard University has been running a course on it.

In Britain, academics and others gathered at Leeds Town Hall for a conference on the TV show in November.

Prof Burrows denied that teaching it in university seminars amounted to ''dumbing down.''

He said: ''If it was just sitting down and watching TV programmes there wouldn't be much excuse for it.

''But what we're trying to do is use a TV programme alongside other material if it's something that will induce enthusiasm in our students.

''A programme like The Wire makes a fantastic contribution to their understanding of contemporary urbanism.''

He cited American TV shows The Sopranos, The West Wing and Mad Men as others that could be used for academic study.

But one academic who spoke at the Leeds conference on The Wire warned that TV dramas do not necessarily give students a direct insight into social issues.

Professor Griselda Pollock, director of the Centre for Cultural Analysis, Theory and History at the University of Leeds, said: ''It's not raw material. There's a risk of seeing it as giving unmediated access to some of the social issues.

''It's an innovative idea to show sociology students that television can give them an insight, but we must also take into account that it's not transparent, it's constructed.

''We can't just look at the TV programme and think by studying it we know what's happening in Baltimore.''
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-The-Wire.html

Brodinski 05-17-10 10:40 AM

They've already got one at Harvard too.

Harvard class on 'The Wire'

'THE Wire," HBO's gritty se ries about life in the Baltimore ghetto, is about to become a course at Harvard.

The announcement came at a panel discussion at the school featuring several of the show's stars, according to the Harvard student newspaper, The Crimson.

The class will be taught by sociology professor William J. Wilson, one of the best-known African American history professors in the country, who has made no secret of the fact that he is a huge fan of the show.

"I do not hesitate to say that it has done more to enhance our understanding of the challenges of urban life and the problems of urban inequality, more than any other media event or scholarly publication," Wilson told the audience before poking fun at himself, "including studies by social scientitsts."

Sonja Sohn, who played Det. Kima Gregs, Andre Royo (Bubbles) and Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar Little) were on the panel talking about the show's unusual impact.
The series ran for five seasons, starting in 2002. Each year, it took on a different aspect of urban life -- from drugs to schools to the news media.
Harvard will be not the first college course on "The Wire." Other students commented on The Crimson's site that courses on the TV show already exist at Duke University and Middlebury College.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz0oC57K1Bq

Iroquois 08-23-10 07:15 AM

Just finished Season 5 (and the series proper, obviously) the other day. I don't really have any particularly insightful opinions about the show right now, but I think the fact that I watched the whole thing speaks for itself. Excellent stuff.

The Prestige 09-07-10 12:35 PM

Thanks for posting, HK and Brodinski. Man, the show really has had a big impact. I mean, a DEGREE on The Wire. One at arguably the most prestigious university in the world, too. Definitely says a lot about the show.

Iro, the whole thing is very hard to digest so don't blame you for wanting to think about things a bit more, but you can start with which characters you found the most interesting or which season was your favourite, etc. Very happy you watched it. Now we've just got to get the other members on board :)

Harry Lime 09-07-10 12:49 PM

I recommended it to a buddy at work last week. Asked him today what he did over the weekend, he said he watched all of season 1 and a chunk of season 2. I guess he likes it.

Yoda 12-27-10 11:31 AM

So, I'm not going to read through this thread, but I wanted to let ya'll know that I've "formally" started watching this.

I've mentioned a few times, I think, that I rented the first disc of season 1 years ago and stopped after those three episodes (didn't have time to throw myself into it further). Then, a year or two ago, I saw the entire series on DVD for $99, and bought it basically blind. After mentioning this here I got the expected deluge of "oooo, you have to watch it soon!" comments, along with those "I envy that you get to watch it for the first time" remarks thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, with some time off work, cuz of the whole Christmas thing, I went through the first three episodes again last night, and I plan to watch the nine remaining episodes in season 1 over the next two days. I might take breaks in-between seasons, but I'll probably end up watching the whole thing in the next few months. So, huzzah. I look forward to being able to come back in here and join in.

Actually, since this thread is kind of generalized, I might start a new one. It might make it easier if people want to talk about things as I'm watching, since I'm sure there'd be tons of "I love that episode" comments and the like, and I wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. Good idea?

Tacitus 12-27-10 12:03 PM

I got the boxset last Christmas but have only dipped in and out of it in the last 12 months, mainly because I'd seen it all before but was relying back then on rental discs.

I'm up for a complete rewatch, sure. ;)

Yoda 12-27-10 01:07 PM

Nice! I'll start a thread soon. I imagine we have a few others who would be interested in a group rewatch, or at least interested in reliving some of it or hearing the random thoughts of people going through it for the first time. Should be fun. :)

Brodinski 12-27-10 01:28 PM

I'll certainly participate in the thread, not so sure about rewatching it as I feel more like watching films than series of late. But still, The Wire is The Wire and I suppose I could re-watch it (again) easily.

Enjoy it, Chris. It's possibly the best thing you'll ever see on a screen, big or small.

The Prestige 12-27-10 09:12 PM

Chris, at the risk of sounding predictable, I envy you. But that's cool because i'm going to be rewatching it too. I was actually planning on rewatching the whole series prior to seeing your post, which has given me an even bigger kick up the butt. So, yeah, i'm in. Have a blast, man.

planet news 12-27-10 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 704233)
It's possibly the best thing you'll ever see on a screen, big or small.
When is this ever said about anything? :cool: Oh man. Oh man.

Fiscal 12-27-10 09:40 PM

Well, ill join. I haven't watched a single episode.

Pyro Tramp 12-27-10 09:44 PM

It's about the only TV rewatch i'd find time to mix in with my back log. Shame don't have the DVDs though last i saw HMV did at £50 for the lot

Brother Blue 12-27-10 09:46 PM

Ooooh, Wire virgins. I envy you.

Godspeed.

Yoda 12-27-10 10:06 PM

Sweet! Love the response. I'm through episode nine in the first season and I'll almost certainly finish it sometime tomorrow. Not sure if I'll charge right ahead into season two or not but I'll try to slow a little in-between seasons. Might be hard, though.

Pyro Tramp 12-28-10 07:16 AM

It's easy to say that with Season 1 but as you get more into it, I found subsequent seasons narrative arcs to have more urgency It gets a lot more addictive

Fiscal 12-28-10 01:56 PM

It is a rainy day and I rented the first couple discs of season 1. I'm excited, The Wire has always been on my list to watch and I just forgot about it.

Brodinski 12-28-10 02:51 PM

By the time you get to season 3, you are not going to be able to stop watching it. I can't think of any series this addictive, this compelling or this broad in scope.

It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I'd say that its status in televised series land is comparable to that of Citizen Kane, bar the awards, but who gives a ***** about those anyway?

Planet: jump on the wagon, baby, you would love The Wire. It's about capitalism among (many, many) other things, I ***** you not.

honeykid 06-01-11 01:08 PM

'The Wire should return,' says Attorney General

US Attorney General Eric Holder has asked for another season of HBO show The Wire to be made.

Speaking with some of The Wire's cast members at the Justice Department, Holder explained that he was impressed by the quality of the programme.

"Having looked at those clips again, I'm reminded how great that series was," the The Washington Examiner quotes him as saying.

"I want to speak directly to [executive producers] Mr [Ed] Burns and Mr [David] Simon, do another season of The Wire."

Holder continued: "I want another season, or a movie... I have a lot of power!"

Government officials, including Holder, are allegedly using episodes of The Wire to educate people about children who are caught up in drug crime.

Last year, it emerged that John Hopkins University in Baltimore was offering a course based on the hit series.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/new...y-general.html

Matteo 08-02-13 12:37 AM

My favourite television show of all time. This may sound preachy, but this show literally changed my life. It helped me discover a whole new passion in a field which I now find myself studying in.

I've seen this show 3 times in its entirety, and find it to be the most intelligent, socially relevant, and most important piece of sociopolitical fiction in the 21st century.