Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best Russell Crowe movie (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=9848)

Silas 02-04-05 09:58 AM

Best Russell Crowe movie

What are yere ideas:

1) Gladiator
2) A Beautiful Mind
3) The Insider
4) LA Confidential

Anonymous Last 02-04-05 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silas
What are yere ideas:

1) Gladiator
2) A Beautiful Mind
3) The Insider
4) LA Confidential

I'll choose Gladiator for 1500, Alex!

Holden Pike 02-04-05 10:50 AM

L.A. Confidential, followed by Romper Stomper.
http://www.usaweekend.com/02_issues/...es/crowe10.jpg

P.S. Gladiator sucks ass.

uconjack 02-04-05 01:33 PM

1. L.A. Confidential
2. Gladiator
3. The Insider
4. A Beautiful Mind
5. Romper Stomper

MovieMaker5087 02-04-05 02:00 PM

1. A Beautiful Mind
2. L.A. Confidential

Lance McCool 02-04-05 04:44 PM

I actually liked him a lot in Virtuosity. But since the movie sucked, I'd say his best film was LA Confidential followed closely by A Beatiful Mind. Never seen Romper Stomper though.

susan 02-04-05 07:39 PM

i also liked him in virtuosity and in master and commander....

Tacitus 02-04-05 08:14 PM

LA Confidential for me, then Romper Stomper (which I haven't seen in years though).

3rd place goes to his cameo in Neighbours, which probably shows what I think of a lot of his movies. :)

http://www.maximumcrowe.net/photos/neigh1.jpg

Love the mullet/sweater combo Russ. :D

SpoOkY 02-04-05 09:33 PM

I liked LA confidential because its definately his best film, then A Beautiful Mind, Romper Stomper and lastly Gladiator (more a great film than great acting by Russell).

nebbit 02-07-05 05:17 AM

It may not be his best but I liked him in "Proof" with Hugo Weaving. :D

http://www.dacre.org/flash/www/gbq03731.jpg

-GreY-GoOse- 02-15-05 04:38 AM

1) Gladiator
2) Beautiful Mind

those are the only 2 movies ive seen by russel crowe, and were pretty damn good

Caitlyn 02-17-05 09:32 AM

I haven't seen all of Russell Crowe's movies… but I did enjoy him in:

L.A. Confidential
Gladiator
Master and Commander

I didn't care for Proof of Life … but Proof sounds interesting (thanks Nebs) and Romper Stomper has been on my 'to see list' for a while…

Rado 03-06-05 10:28 PM

"Up ya Bum"...great line from that film..not my favourite though...probably Romper Stomper then L.A Confidential

Kong: The Sequel 03-06-05 11:48 PM

L.A. Confidential

Kong's question is: Which Russell Crowe film is more over-rated A Beautiful Mind or Romper Stomper?

linespalsy 03-07-05 12:06 AM

I have no interest in seeing A Beautiful Mind. Romper Stomper is my fave, followed by L.A. Confidential.

I seem to have disremembered Gladiator.

Othelo 04-22-05 12:04 AM

Im Really surprised nobody mentioned "The Sum of Us" one of my all time favorite films. His portrail was one of the few instances of a straight guy playing Gay that did not slide into either the non-sexual Tom Hanks Philedelphia sthick or the "Flaming" stereotype so prevelant nowadays.

Jack Tompson is also excellent as his Dad and erstwhile matchmaker, the uncomfortable acceptence of his son's homosexuality, yet his willingness to help him find true love forms the basis of one of the greatest examples of Father/Son love that has been expressed on film.

Romper Stomper is also one of my favorites, Crowe again plays a difficult character who is treated with respect by the actor, without moral judgment.

Carissima 04-22-05 07:57 AM

Most definitely Romper Stomper, although Gladiator is a close second.

Mr. Brink 04-25-05 01:32 AM

1. Gladiator
2. A Beautiful Mind

I wasn't too impressed by Master & Commander.

Othelo 04-25-05 05:01 PM

I urge you all, especially fathers and sons, seek out "the Sum of Us" after that movie if you don't want to give your dad or your son a great big hug you have icewater in your veins.

Garrett 04-25-05 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Romper Stomper is my fave, followed by L.A. Confidential.
Same here. Only backwards.

jrs 04-25-05 06:27 PM

Beautiful Mind
Virtuosity
Mystery, Alaska

*Will catch Cinderella Man

AngieQ 04-29-05 04:25 PM

Gladiator!

thegodfather15 05-29-05 01:27 PM

Re

Gladiator!

Darth Stujitzu 06-03-05 07:19 PM

LA confidential
Gladiator
The Insider
A Beautiful Mind
and for some perverse reason:
Proof of Life

:confused:

nebbit 06-03-05 10:55 PM

Has to be Romper Stomper, I am watching it now. :yup:

Carlito Brigante 08-31-05 05:36 AM

Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
LA Confidential

Lester Burnham 08-31-05 06:45 AM

L.A. Confidential, he was great in that.

criss 08-31-05 08:17 PM

i really really liked A beautiful mind i think he is more than great in it

samq79 09-05-05 02:04 AM

LA Confidential - higher on my list
Beautiful Mind - impressed me the most in his dedication to the character

chirpy_sabz 11-01-05 06:02 PM

A Beautiful Mind and LA Confidential...

BetterOffThread 11-02-05 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silas
What are yere ideas:

1) Gladiator
2) A Beautiful Mind
3) The Insider
4) LA Confidential
I'd have to say that Gladiator was his best film, It's more fit for him. A beautiful mind was good also, but it's another side of crow's acting.

Twain 11-02-05 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by BetterOffThread
I'd have to say that Gladiator was his best film, It's more fit for him. A beautiful mind was good also, but it's another side of crow's acting.
Crowe was born to play Maximus. Most critics probably rank The Insider as his best performance. He certainly is versatile. He can play very physical roles and more cerebral ones.

My favorites were Gladiator, LA Confidential and Cinderella Man.

Some Guy 11-15-05 10:16 PM

I would have to say either A Beautiful Mind or Gladiator. I personally think he was better in Gladiator, but he was also terrific in A Beautiful Mind.

AngieQ 11-18-05 11:54 AM

L.A. Confidential is untouchable.

Twain 11-21-05 12:49 PM

Thinking about Crowe in Gladiator...It's sometimes overlooked how great Joaquin Phoenix was in that movie. Without him, it's not the same. He played the young, slimy, immoral megalomaniac to perfection.

And now with Walking the Line, Phoenix is finally getting his due as one of our finest actors.

Come to think of it, the best parts in Signs (which I didn't care for that much) were when Joaquin was on the screen. And he held his own with Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslet in Quills...no small task.

We need new blood to replace aging greats like DeNiro and Pacino. I think Joaquin Phoenix is up to the task.

ObiWanShinobi 11-21-05 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
L.A. Confidential, followed by Romper Stomper.
http://www.usaweekend.com/02_issues/...es/crowe10.jpg

P.S. Gladiator sucks ass.
Every single thing quoted is 100% true.

Sedai 11-21-05 06:15 PM

LA Confidential

I never liked Gladiator, and I am a Ridley fan... Beautiful Mind was an eye roller....

ObiWanShinobi 11-21-05 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai
LA Confidential

I never liked Gladiator, and I am a Ridley fan... Beautiful Mind was an eye roller....
Well, good work on the LA Confidential pick.

But, you manage a compliment for Ridley? And you bash a Beautiful Mind?

Might I hear your opinion on this?

Just wish to know is all.

Twain 11-22-05 01:46 AM

Well obviously, I did like Gladiator. And get this, I liked Titanic too. Just because a movie is a mega million dollar blockbuster is no reason not to like it.

I know there are MoFos here who are true connoisseurs of film. Who understand the intricacies of movie making far better than me. They may see things in a movie that I don't see.

But I know what I like, dag gummit! :D

noojie 11-22-05 05:52 AM

None

i think all his performances were pure definitions of Crap!

nebbit 11-22-05 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by noojie
i think all his performances were pure definitions of Crap!
:laugh:

-Danny 12-22-05 02:21 AM

Easily LA Confidential. He showed off some very good physical acting, and put on a powerful performance.

Travis Bickle 12-26-05 07:49 PM

L.A. Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind are the best i've seen.
I've yet to see Cinderella Man but I might buy it on DVD sometime.

scotty2hotty 12-27-05 01:22 AM

Gladiator & A Beautiful Mind

dojo 02-05-06 08:13 AM

Gladiator and a bautiful mind for me too. Didn't see the others mentioned here, so I cannot include them into my list :)

Southern Belle 02-06-06 11:54 PM

I dont like Russell Crowe that much, but he was very good in A Beautiful Mind

CELM02 02-18-06 07:22 PM

I like Russel Crowe in most of his recent blockbusters, Gladiator, Master & Commander and Cinderella Man. Though his acting in A Beautiful Mind was very good, it wasn't enough to keep me watching it ;)

thehulkzinger 03-01-06 03:53 PM

I loved Gladiator but also liked Cinderalla Man

Fincher 03-25-06 03:33 AM

1. L.A. Confidential (easily)
2. The Insider
3. Virtuosity
4. Gladiator
5. A Beautiful Mind

I thought Master and Commander was quite boring.

Escape 03-25-06 03:20 PM

L.A. Confidential for me. Gladiator was good too. Those are the two films I enjoyed the most out of his anyways.

Ghost of Perdition 03-28-06 01:15 AM

That's hard to pick, because a sizeable chunk of his biggest films are incredible. I'm going to have to pick Gladiator though.

half-ass astronaut 03-29-06 03:35 PM

He's was quite good in Cinderella Man.

L.A. Confidental
Cinderella Man
Gladiator

Monkeypunch 03-29-06 03:53 PM

Loved Gladiator and L.A. Confidential, I need to see Cinderella Man. I like Russel Crowe. He is a good actor, and whether you like his personality or not, he is a definite movie star.

My favourite was when he was on South Park though. LOL. "Fightin' "round the World."

Spin King-35 04-05-06 04:24 AM

1 Gladiator
2 Mystrey Alaska
3 A Beautiful Mind

cinemaniac 04-05-06 03:03 PM

Well my two favourite movies are "Gladiator" and "A beautiful mind" but i guess i will choose on first place the gladiator as it it is more profound and impressive too...too bad i havent seen "Cinderella man" - was really eager to see it but all the time this precioussss time...

Bear4prezz 04-07-06 03:10 AM

L.A. Confidential closely followed by Master and Commander (Unappreciated movie... you can't knock it because it all took place on a boat... that was the point)

JBriscoe 04-24-06 02:42 PM

Romper Stomper!

Sedai 04-24-06 04:07 PM

I have now seen most of his big roles, and I am sticking with LA Confidential...

Sedai 04-24-06 04:18 PM

I have now seen most of his big roles, and I am sticking with LA Confidential...

Originally Posted by Twain
Well obviously, I did like Gladiator. And get this, I liked Titanic too. Just because a movie is a mega million dollar blockbuster is no reason not to like it.

I know there are MoFos here who are true connoisseurs of film. Who understand the intricacies of movie making far better than me. They may see things in a movie that I don't see.

But I know what I like, dag gummit! :D
I'll comment here..

I am not sure people were coming down on gladiator purely for it's blockbuster status. I, for one, dislike the sporadic changes in style in gladiator. The opening sequence is shot and edited like a Tony Scott film, and I still think Ridley let him work on this section... The film then settles down and becomes at least watchable. Still, Crowe in uneven in this film, and I think it's just that the role needed a tad more range than Mr. Crowe posseses, and I do think he gave it his best shot, but just didn't have the skills needed to pull off Maximusin a way that he was riveting.

Another thing that bothers me is way they use the cgi in this film. As with Titanic, CGI was just a bit to mediocre to be convincing during this period of time, and I am pulled out of the experience by the shoddy compositing. It was apparent in the theater when I saw it, and now it's tenfold, having been introduced to much tighter effects these days. I can't totally knock it for that though, and subsequent viewings have raised my opinion of the film somewhat as a fun popcorn flick. It just falls short of "epic" for me. Phoenix IS great in it, and some of the other supporting characters (Proximo) turn in some good stuff, but it has a few warts too many to attain "Great" status...

ObiWan - You are damn right I compliment Ridley. The man made what I consider to be the greatest Science-Fiction film ever, and he also made one of the best thrillers of all time in Alien. His production design skills are unmatched, and the guy is a director. An accomplished, talented artist. I also understand he has made some ****, but few directors haven't....

moviecridic 04-25-06 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by susan
i also liked him in virtuosity and in master and commander....
yeh i agree and i also think he did well in cindrella man. i didn't like him in virtousity.

mrblonde 04-25-06 10:53 AM

the essential russell crowes to me are:

gladiator
la confidential
a beautiful mind
the insider

ilsailor 10-18-06 04:50 PM

Its the obvious...Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, then Romper Stomper.

JBriscoe 10-19-06 12:50 AM

Favourite Movie of Crowe - L.A. Confidential

Most Impressive Performance of Crowe - A Beautiful Mind

Most Underrated Crowe Film - Romper Stomper

My Guilty Pleasure - Mystery, Alaska

Most Overrated Crowe Film - Gladiator

Most Anticipated Crowe Film - American Gangster

dog.gon.gun 10-21-06 12:57 AM

Master and Commander because...

Russell Crowe + Paul Bettany x Stringed Instruments = Awesome

Princess j.t. 10-23-06 12:01 AM

A beautiful mind,
Cinderella man,
Gladiator.
May I add I think HE is a great great actor.:)

Othelo 10-29-06 10:34 PM

Has anyone seen "the sum of us" anyone.......?

nebbit 10-29-06 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Othelo
Has anyone seen "the sum of us" anyone.......?
Yes, several times, in fact I own it :yup:

Othelo 10-30-06 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit
Yes, several times, in fact I own it :yup:
Thank GOD I thought I was a singular voice in the wilderness. I think the Gay theme scares people off but the father/son love story is one of the best around. Thank you, nebbit for re-affirming my faith in humanity. Isn't Jack Thompson the best?

nebbit 10-31-06 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Othelo
Isn't Jack Thompson the best?
He is, he used to live next door to my girlfriend, That was in the days when he lived with 2 sisters :randy: he was very sexy then :yup:

Officer 663 10-31-06 01:18 PM

My favorite Crowe performance is in Romper Stomper...

Othelo 11-01-06 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit
He is, he used to live next door to my girlfriend, That was in the days when he lived with 2 sisters :randy: he was very sexy then :yup:
I always knew he was a stud! GO JACK!

Britbrat19 11-01-06 07:41 PM

I Would Have To Say Gladiator I Just Love Him In That Movie!!

BobbyB 11-01-06 09:18 PM

L.A. Confidential, by far. Never seen Romper Stomper.

I should prolly get on that.

And Holden is right...Gladiator was awful.

Dark Party 11-01-06 10:09 PM

I don't get the appeal of "Gladiator." It was a run-of-the-mill action flick filled with cliches and long-winded speeches about freedom, democracy, blah, blah, blah.

"L.A. Confidential," however, now that was a good flick.

snackman 12-26-06 07:09 PM

Gladiator all the way!! He wasn't bad in A Beautiful Mind and Master and Commander: Far Side of the Ocean.

diamondgeeza 12-28-06 03:15 PM

I'd go for A Beautiful Mind.

shankly 01-17-07 01:44 PM

1. The Insider
2. L.A. Confidential
3. Master and Commander

P.S. How does no one see how bad A Beautiful Mind is. I once read a review of Ron Howard saying he was a towering monument to honorable mediocrity, and I think that is hard to argue with. He may be a great guy, but he hasn't made a great movie since Apollo 13. And Gladiator wasn't anything to write home about either.

Amber 01-25-07 04:43 PM

1. A Beautiful Mind
2. Gladiator
3. LA Confidential

PimpDaShizzle V2.0 01-27-07 12:08 AM

Romper Stomper, Master & Commander, A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man

Those arne't in any order.

I need to go get jiggy with some Peanut-Butter and Jellies... triangle cut. UNF' UNF'!

Sedai 01-29-07 12:48 PM

LA Confidential

Master and Commander : The Far Side of the World

magicman531 02-04-07 10:27 PM

Definitely Gladiator.

Loona 02-08-07 10:04 AM

Beautiful mind I think...

Emmsy 02-12-07 10:24 AM

Cinderella Man

rauldc14 05-25-10 03:38 PM

Re: Best Russell Crowe movie

With Russell Crowe, you have one of my most favorite actors of all-time (next to Denzel Washington that is)

This is what I think

Russell Crowe (acting)
1. A Beautiful Mind
2. L.A. Confidential
3. Cinderella Man
4. State of Play
5. American Gangster
6. Gladiator

Overall Movies
1. A Beautiful Mind
2. State of Play
3. L.A Confidential
4. Gladiator
5. American Gangster
6. Cinderella Man

n3wt 05-25-10 03:50 PM

Romper Stomper
The Insider
Gladiator
American Gangster

TheMightyCelestial 05-25-10 04:26 PM

I don't think that any of his movies made it into my top fave 100 (maybe The Insider, but I'd have to check),
but still, Crowe has a filmography that is nothing to be ashamed of.

My faves of his flix:

5. L.A. Confidential
Take a crime story out of the pages of those old detective pulp magazines from the 50's, the glamour of southern California scene back in it's heydey & mash it up with a revealingly gritty view of paparazzism, racism and corruptionism (uhmn...that's is a word, right?) along with a great cast of characters, (including a break out role from Russell Crowe) whom almost all seem to share the lead role,
& you end up with an L.A. story that comes off as tough, fresh, modern and nolstalgic, all at the same time.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...r_Photo-10.jpg

4. A Beautiful Mind
I'll be honest with you guys....while "beautiful" isn't exactly the word I would use to describe my mind,
I doubt that anyone would kick it out bed for eating crackers.
Though, when I think about it,
it could probably stand to lose a few pounds.
Some lipstick probably wouldn't hurt it either.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g.../beautmind.jpg

3. Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World
It seems like these days, if the theatres aren't full of a slew of GCI-infested blockbusters, then they're trying to cash in on a flock of usually over-top horrors and/or comedies. Or they're trying to promote their every-day down-to-earth dramas.
And even if a buncha these flicks turn out to be pretty good, I usually start to feel the urge for something outside the realm of what is currently considered the standard genres that seem to occupy the majority of today's silverscreens. Master And Commander is one of those films that came into my life just when I really needed a good "period" movie shot into my system & deliver to my move-enjoying ass a brief respite from the same ol' same ol'.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ebf1193997.jpg

2. American Gangster
A great crime drama in a time when such films have become rare without the boost of big banging shoot-em up guns blasting away.
Though based on a real story of a drug kingpin & the police detective determined to bring him down, the film goes down the path of the ever prevalent poetic licensing that these types of films tend to take, in order to focus more on the story of the rise & fall of an Amarican gangster whose distrubution of only the purest of heroin whilst eliminating the "middleman" changed the way drugs became distributed on the streets.
Denzel Washington is cool as the crimelord who sees his only option towards the American Dream is his wry combination of street-savy intellect & non-hesitant ruthlessness. Russell Crowes, though not a strech, still seemlessly tackles the part of the leader of a police task-force whose unwavering straight-edged honesty serves as both crutch & "cure" to the corrupt laden NYC precincts.
Both actors move through their respective roles with a chemistrytic ease that can only result from two artisans both comfortable & confident with their craft.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngster_002.jpg

1. The Insider
Russell Crowe is the insider trying to expose the truth of the mega-business of tabacco & Al Pacino is the outsider who finds himself involunteerily pitted against the corporate politicks of the media which both men were counting on to help in the cause. Watching both actors on screen is an example of the kind of movie chemistry that can result from the combination of solid acting abilities along with the directing & writing powess of Mr. Mann. And all this without the need of any special effects or CGI, & yet a film that still provides a level of entertainment on par with that of any big budget blockerbuster.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...r_Photo-45.jpg

WBadger 05-25-10 04:39 PM

From what I've seen, 3:10 to Yuma by far.

bigscreenbytes 05-25-10 07:24 PM

These are the Crowe films I enjoyed the most because of his performances. Not my favorite actor but he's a solid performer:

The Insider
L.A. Confidential
A Beautiful Mind
3:10 to Yuma

rufnek 05-25-10 08:01 PM

The only Crowe film I truly enjoyed was Cinderella Man. In L.A. Confidential, I liked nearly all the rest of the cast better than Crowe, who I thought was the weakest link. Just not a big Crowe fan, I guess. His movies are like takeout Chinese food to me--30 minutes after consumption, I'm feeling unfulfilled and can't recall a major scene with him in it.

terapattrik 05-26-10 03:58 AM

It is Gladiator best movie till date. But i think Gladiator 2 will be another in the list.

SoulInside 05-26-10 06:26 AM

State of Play is my favourite Crowe-movie, but he did his best performance in Gladiator.

judge617 05-26-10 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SoulInside (Post 623076)
State of Play is my favourite Crowe-movie, but he did his best performance in Gladiator.
I agree, although i havn't seen A beautiful Mind yet. It's considered good

terapattrik 05-31-10 04:42 AM

Till the date Gladiator . But i hope Gladiator 2 will be batter than Gladiator.

Jammo 06-06-10 12:08 PM

I haven't seen HEAPS of his other films but Gladiator would easily have to be the stand out.

yellowjacket1 06-06-10 10:49 PM

This thread reminds me how much I like Russell Crowe. He even managed to save Robin Hood for me and that is one poorly paced and repetitive film.

1. Cinderella Man
2. L.A. Confidential
3. Gladiator
4. State of Play
5. Master and Commander

rauldc14 06-06-10 11:09 PM

State of Play is extremely underrated in my opinion. The cast is fantastic and the story is well-executed.

I haven't gotten to see The Insider or Master and Commander yet, but I'll probably get around to it at some point in time.

earlsmoviepicks 06-06-10 11:16 PM

I vote for Bud in L.A. Confidential

DexterRiley 06-10-10 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 622879)
With Russell Crowe, you have one of my most favorite actors of all-time (next to Denzel Washington that is)

This is what I think

Russell Crowe (acting)
1. A Beautiful Mind
2. L.A. Confidential
3. Cinderella Man
4. State of Play
5. American Gangster
6. Gladiator

Overall Movies
1. A Beautiful Mind
2. State of Play
3. L.A Confidential