Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Football 2023 - The Season (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=68752)

Wyldesyde19 08-27-23 08:03 PM

MoFo Fantasy Football 2023 - The Season

Good draft guys!
I really like Tongo and PW’s draft.
WtLB as well.

Yoda 08-27-23 08:29 PM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Football 2023 - Sign-Ups

Yahoo gave me a D-, which I am completely serious in saying has made me feel a lot better about my team.

I actually don't like...anyone's team? But that might be because I did a lot less prep so everyone seems sketchier than they are. But I also think it's the nature of the modern game, very few teams are without big question marks. But by week 3 we'll have a better sense of which question marks are actually exclamation points.

Holden Pike 08-27-23 08:32 PM

I kind of flubbed my earlier draft in my other league, made better choices here. I'll take a grade of A.

TONGO 08-27-23 08:45 PM

This is.. I don't know what this is. I missed the second half of the draft due to work. Get the expected 2 kickers and 2 defenses from Yahoo, but also have 3 tight ends?! Yahoo gives me an A+. If that doesn't tell you I'm screwed I don't know what will.

rauldc14 08-27-23 08:53 PM

Parrotheads and Adam are the two teams I like most.

I like mine a decent amount as long as the RBs work out. Then again the only RB I had worth a lick last year was Jacobs.

Hey Fredrick 08-27-23 09:00 PM

HA! Grade out at a D- projected finish 4-10. I'll take it! A two win improvement over last year. Was really sailing along nicely, getting exactly who I wanted, then all of a sudden things started to go off the rails... in round 2.

Wyldesyde19 08-27-23 09:54 PM

Personal goals:
To improve upon my win total from last year, even if it’s only by 1 win.
So 8-6, as projected, would definitely be welcomed.
To make the playoffs, obviously.
To increase my scoring. My average was way down from the previous year. From 113.68 in 2021 to 104.16 in 2022. Gotta score more!

As for my draft, I like it quite a bit. There are some serious questions with depth, and whether my bench can contribute on bye weeks in place of my starters, and TE is a little bit of a question mark, but if Burrow, Diggs, Hopkins, Pollard, and Pierce can each contribute weekly, and Godwin/White and maybe Mostert can produce for me in the flex spot until I figure out who stays there, I should be ok.

seanc 08-28-23 10:29 AM

Pro Football Pick Em group on Yahoo, if anyone is interested. Thought it might be fun if we can get a decent size group. I will be inviting people from my other leagues as well.

Group Id# 25936
Password: Football

Holden Pike 08-28-23 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I don’t put much stock into the Yahoo draft grades, though I suppose I’d rather have an A- than an F. I had the first pick. To me there wasn’t a drastic difference between the top three players on the board. Barring injuries all three should be near the top of the Fantasy leaders again. MCaffery has had injuries of late and plays on a team with plenty of offensive weapons that may take some of his opportunities. Chase is amazing, of course, but if Burrow’s injury causes him to miss even a couple games I figured Justin Jefferson was the safest bet of the three. Time will tell, of course.

Past the mighty J.J. I had a strategy, though I didn’t quite execute as well as I should have. If Scary Terry McLaurin is healthy, he should be a more-than-solid number two wideout and potentially those two receivers could carry me pretty far. I decided not to go for one of the top quarterbacks and will rely on A-Rog to have the resurgent year Jets Nation desperately wants him to. If Jefferson and McLaurin do their thing I shouldn’t need consistent 30+ point performances from Mr. Aaron Rogers, just for him to hang around in the 20s. Instead I spent my second pick on the only TE shy of the peerless god Kelce who may be worth a damn. All of The Ravens are dependent on Lamar staying healthy and doing what he does, but even with his new array of sparkling WR targets I hope Mark Andrews will continue to be his favorite. Again, if Jefferson and McLaurin are steady I shouldn’t need fiftyburgers from Andrews…though I won’t send any back.

Where I may have taken a little misstep is with my running backs. I have two very good-looking sophomore backs in the Jets’ Breece Hall and Washington’s Brian Robinson leading the way. Both seem poised to turn their flashes of rookie brilliance into workhorse magnificence. Though will the addition of Delvin Cook mean he takes significant snaps and goalline looks from Breece? And with the newly arrived O.C. Eric Bieniemy in D.C. he has always been pass-heavy versus the run. I also took a flier on Miami’s rookie De'Von Achane, who has some folks in Fantasy circles excited despite being diminutive and being in a crowded Dolphins backfield. But we have no idea if he’ll even be as good as Breece and Brian last year? If just one of those three turns out to be a legit number one-type back, I am golden and a Fantasy whisperer. But I probably shouldn’t have gambled on all three young backs, instead hedging my bets with at least one more established runner.

Also, of my six main starters, four of them are on two teams (Jets and Commanders). Probably should have spread that out a bit. I must stop watching HBO’s “Hard Knocks” as it makes the profiled teams look too good. I am a longtime Washington fan from the Redskins glory days of the ‘80s and early ‘90s, and those picks of McLaurin and especially Robinson are very likely colored by the fact that I am excited about the team for the first time in a loooong time (farewell, Danny Snyder, I certainly hope you die soon!).

I have a little depth at WR with Michael Pittman and Brandon Aiyuk as well as the JuJu Smith-Schuster experiment in New England, and I do have one of the league’s best kickers in Cincy’s Evan McPherson, which may come in handy in close contests. But the success or failure of my season is likely going to come down to those young RBs.

So…here we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2zds0_9v0

TONGO 08-28-23 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2408385)
Pro Football Pick Em group on Yahoo, if anyone is interested. Thought it might be fun if we can get a decent size group. I will be inviting people from my other leagues as well.

Group Id# 25936
I'm in.

Yoda 08-28-23 11:42 AM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Football 2023 - The Season

Normally I never, ever, ever spend a high draft pick on a rookie, let alone a rookie RB, but I think it makes some sense this year. Robinson was the "worst" player I was prepared to take at that slot, so I was hoping one of my other targets would fall, but I think this is acceptable. He's obviously an exceptional talent, his skillset means he should have a high floor (RB1s disappointing doesn't kill you, RB1s falling off the table is what kills you), and he's in a good situation. We'll see.

Really happy getting Adams on the way back in the 2nd, that kind of pick is exactly why I chose the 9th slot even though I had one of the first slot options in the whole draft. At first I was sure I was going to go with 5th or 6th, but the more I thought about it the more I figured dropping back a few spots would lead me not to a better first round, but a better first and second round combined, and I think that ended up being the case.

I did have several sleepers or mid-range picks sniped just before my spot. I think it happened 3-4 times, a bit more than usual. But so it goes. I've got an acceptable starting lineup without glaring holes at major skill positions, and I've got a lot of fliers, per usual.

If this isn't the least I've ever prepared for a draft, it's a close second, so I'm hoping the high-level theory stuff that usually serves me well covers for the lack of granular stuff, even though the latter is usually best for the waning rounds.

Holden Pike 08-28-23 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2408395)
Normally I never, ever, ever spend a high draft pick on a rookie, let alone a rookie RB, but I think it makes some sense this year. Robinson was the "worst" player I was prepared to take at that slot, so I was hoping one of my other targets would fall, but I think this is acceptable. He's obviously an exceptional talent, his skillset means he should have a high floor (RB1s disappointing doesn't kill you, RB1s falling off the table is what kills you), and he's in a good situation. We'll see.
Yes, he is my top back in my other league. I picked ninth out of ten, there. And earned a grade of D- (lowest in the league). I have Breece Hall there, too, though I also have the safer bet of Najee Harris. AND I got Kenneth Williams, too. I did super well with RBs but pretty well struggled with the other positions. If my stable of RBs stay healthy and productive I may have to do some trading over there.

More than Bijan Robinson being a rookie I am worried about Atlanta being irrelevant again and game script keeping his numbers down. But we shall see, My Friend.

Holden Pike 08-28-23 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Just a rumor, so far.

Wyldesyde19 08-28-23 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2408434)

Just a rumor, so far.
Keeping an eye on this, as my opponent, The Team formally known as Can You Diggs it? (Ahem, requesting name change while I have Diggs) 😜, has Taylor on his team.
Even if he is traded, will he even be able to suit up?

TONGO 08-29-23 11:12 AM

I'm gonna try and review my team like Holden does. Minus the snazzy graphics, game knowledge, and basic principles of writing.

Round 1 Derrick Henry
There hasn't been a more dependable RB in recent memory. He is not part of an RB tandem, in Tennessee he's a one man show, and in our FFB league he has served I think our champions on more than one occasion. Him falling to 8th pick and its a no-brainer.

Round 2 Patrick Mahomes
Picking a QB this early in the drafts a bad thing to do. Is Mahomes an exception to the rule type player? Yes.

Round 3 Najee Harris
Ive no idea who this guy is. I felt antsy going QB in rd2, and knew if any running back worth a damn was available I should grab him if I could. Well it was this guy, Jon Taylor who totally screwed me last year, ho-hum Aaron Jones, and Breece Hall whose great but will now be sharing touches with Delvin Cook (who also screwed me one year, so he could screw.me again even if I don't draft ((Ack! My girlfriend texted me and it made me post this prematurely before I finished it!)) SO even if I don't have Delvin he couldve screwed me again). So I went with this guy.

I'll do the rest in another post, sigh.

TONGO 08-29-23 11:32 AM

Round 4 Amari Cooper
I needed a WR and he's a good one.

Round 5 George Kittle
I almost took DJ Moore or Keenan Allen, but Kittle is one of the few TEs that make a difference, so I went with his high ceiling, low floor, but never in the middle production.

Round 6 Isiah Pacheco
This one, I really dont know why I picked him. I was completely commited to drafting an WR. I guess I wanted to have a 3rd starting RB for the bye weeks, a backup starter if my 2 main guys get hurt, and he plays with Mahomes. I've always been a sucker for my QB to be a hookup for another player on the same team.

Round 7 Gabe Davis
I really really really needed a WR, dont know him, but he has the 2nd best QB in the league throwing to him so why not?

The rest of my team was auto drafted by Yahoo because work needed my attention. I highlighted Rashee Rice and Brandin Cooks, mistakenly in that order, but luckily got both. Just picked up Henry's handcuff and another WR off waivers, dropping a 3rd TE, and a kicker to get them. And that's that.

P.S. she actually texted me again and it didn't autopost, so I must have hit the key accidentally. Sorry guys, my bad.

Holden Pike 08-29-23 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2408622)
I'm gonna try and review my team like Holden does. Minus the snazzy graphics, game knowledge, and basic principles of writing.

Wyldesyde19 08-29-23 09:16 PM

Taylor doesn’t get traded, will miss the four weeks of the season.
This is good news for me, since A) I play His owner in the first week and B) Mostert remains an intriguing RB for me if he can remain healthy. Big if, that.

TONGO 08-31-23 11:31 AM

One more week, savoring my greatness until the Week 1 wake up call. Curious if anyone will beat out the Clowns and the Muppet this year?

Yoda 08-31-23 11:42 AM

Eh, football's hard. We're always in the mix but beyond that it's hard to control.

Yoda 08-31-23 12:06 PM

Week 1, where half the league realizes their RB situation is potentially dire.

Captain Spaulding 08-31-23 12:56 PM

Initially I was disappointed with my team (damn mock drafts filling my head with unrealistic expectations every year), but now I view my roster as a solid mix of upside and stability. I've had a knack for drafting QBs during their breakout seasons (Wentz, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts) and I'm hopeful that Fields continues that trend. He got off to a poor start last year then exploded for consecutive 40-pt games during a 2-month streak of 20+ performances. If his passing stats improve to go along with his tantalizing rushing ability, he could make a Jalen Hurts-like meteoric leap. I also drafted Tua, who was a top-ten QB last year by avg. PPG, just in case Fields doesn't pan out.

Barkley is a heightened injury risk, but when healthy he's still one of the best RBs in the league, and I was ecstatic to land him in the 11th spot. (I would've picked him as high as 5th.) Also happy to secure Mixon's heavy volume on a great offense. He was considered a disappointment last year, yet he still finished as a RB1 thanks to the 53-point explosion against Carolina in week 9. At the very least he should provide me with a nice reliable floor, with the potential for a few spike weeks. My WR duo -- Lamb/Metcalf -- should also provide a nice weekly baseline. I'm skeptical that Mike Evans will continue his record-breaking streak of 1000-yard seasons now that he's shackled to Baker Mayfield, but I'll gladly take the 9th-round discount on him just in case. Freiermuth doesn't have the ceiling of most of the TEs drafted ahead of him, but he was typically good for 7-10 points last season, and I'll take that week-to-week consistency given the unpredictable volatility of the TE position.

The ceiling for my team will likely depend on the success of Khalil Herbert and Javonte Williams. The latter was on my "Do Not Draft List" until a couple weeks ago, as I feared that he might start the season on the PUP list while recovering from last year's devastating knee injury, but his health reports this off-season have been consistently optimistic and his heavy usage in brief pre-season action allayed those fears. I presume the Broncos will limit his workload early on, but I love the talent and the expected checkdowns in Sean Payton's offense. Khalil Herbert has put up RB1 numbers when he's been the starter, and his playmaking ability forced a timeshare last season with Montgomery. I don't think the average football fan realizes just how talented is Herbert. Some of his advanced metrics are eye-popping. Analysts expect a committee approach, but I'm banking on Herbert to be the primary guy. Between Fields and Herbert, I'm rolling the dice on the Bears offense being one of the more exciting units this season while their defense remains poor, leading to weekly shoot-outs.

I'm definitely a little nervous that I don't have a more sure thing in my FLEX. There has been an industry-wide shift in favor of WRs over RBs this season, and in mocks I typically took advantage of the low ADPs for RBs by stocking up on them, but that didn't bear out so much in our draft. I worry that I made a mistake not going KWIII or Stevenson in the 4th, but I was confident that at least James Conner would fall to me and that didn't happen.

Holden Pike 08-31-23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2409075)
I'm definitely a little nervous that I don't have a more sure thing in my FLEX. There has been an industry-wide shift in favor of WRs over RBs this season, and in mocks I typically took advantage of the low ADPs for RBs by stocking up on them, but that didn't bear out so much in our draft. I worry that I made a mistake not going KWIII or Stevenson in the 4th, but I was confident that at least James Conner would fall to me and that didn't happen.
Yeah, the switch to WRs being the power pieces to grab really took hold over the last couple seasons. If you had Cooper Kupp on your squad two seasons ago or Justin Jefferson last year it was like having Todd Gurley four or five years ago. In general the league seems more comfortable with little passes or screens or QB sneaks along the goal line these days instead of muscling it in through the pile. If you don't have McCaffrey, who gets nearly as many catches as he does runs, you are likely stuck with backs who get you 76 yards a game on the ground and very few TDs, which doesn't translate to much Fantasy-wise. If your team's RB is pulled on long downs in favor of a back who catches passes....good luck.

WRs seem to be the way to go, now.

Until they aren't any more.

TONGO 08-31-23 09:48 PM

Group Id# 25936
I made my picks. Quoting this in case everyone hasnt seen it. We should make a thread for this in case any Football fans not in our league would like to do this Football Pool setup. I know Cricket watches Football.

Who is Shamus Criswell?

rauldc14 08-31-23 10:02 PM

I've joined too.

That's his son Tongo.

seanc 08-31-23 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2409216)
I made my picks. Quoting this in case everyone hasnt seen it. We should make a thread for this in case any Football fans not in our league would like to do this Football Pool setup. I know Cricket watches Football.

Who is Shamus Criswell?
For sure, go for it if you want. If not I will make one this weekend. My other two drafts are this weekend, so I will pimp it there too. Hopefully we can get a few more.

TONGO 09-02-23 08:36 PM

Good job on nabbing McCaffrey Justin 👍

Hey Fredrick 09-04-23 11:13 AM

Group Id# 25936

Is it okay if I invite my GF's son? He's been looking to make money quick and thinks gambling on football is the way. I've been very encouraging, letting him know that that's a fantastic idea, what could go wrong?, but he may want to give some thought to practicing in a few freebies before giving your direct deposit info to Frankie Kneecaps in Jersey.

Yoda 09-04-23 12:12 PM

Yo Justin if you just wanna send me your address for the trophy now I'd love to bang out that to-do item real early this year.

seanc 09-04-23 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2409890)
Is it okay if I invite my GF's son? He's been looking to make money quick and thinks gambling on football is the way. I've been very encouraging, letting him know that that's a fantastic idea, what could go wrong?, but he may want to give some thought to practicing in a few freebies before giving your direct deposit info to Frankie Kneecaps in Jersey.
Absolutely. We will consider it his first intervention. Like my dad always says, those guys in Vegas didn’t get rich by being dumb and losing.

Yoda 09-04-23 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2409908)
Yo Justin if you just wanna send me your address for the trophy now I'd love to bang out that to-do item real early this year.
But seriously everyone must just be tired because back in the day when I made trades like this everybody got mad.

Wyldesyde19 09-04-23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2409919)
But seriously everyone must just be tired because back in the day when I made trades like this everybody got mad.
Nah, I just don’t overreact to these trades. As good as CMC is, he won’t win the league by himself. Justin still has a few decent supporting players around him (Chase, Cousins, Allen). But it remains to be seen how well Mattison and Perine will do as full time starters. Justin’s definitely increased his chances of making the playoff of course, but how far he goes remains to be seen.

As much as CMC helped WtLB last year, it only translated to a 6th place finish.

Yoda 09-04-23 01:54 PM

I don't, either, I find it all totally legitimate, depth is valuable, you have to account for risk when there's an open injury diagnosis, etc. All arguments I made many times in the past which somehow seemed not to effect the reaction(s) the next time.

:shrug:

Wyldesyde19 09-04-23 02:48 PM

The more I look at my team, the more I like it. Like, it’s actually better than last years team, which had a higher grade. Better WR (moving on from JSS last year. Ugh) and the RB position has two potential breakout stars in Pierce and White, which I hope work out.
Godwin, Hopkins and M. Brown (my sole WR who actually contributed before injuries) should provide enough depth at WR and I’m hoping Mostert can avoid injuries because he can be really good when healthy.

TE I’m not so sure on, but outside of Kelce, Andrews, Kittle and Waller there isn’t much there.

I’ll be happy to make the playoffs again

Captain Spaulding 09-05-23 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2409908)
McCaffrey only scored 12 more points than Jacobs on the season last year. I expect McCaffrey to widen the gap this season, considering that was a career year for Jacobs, but Jacobs should remain one of the top RBs even if he doesn't replicate last year's production. And obviously McCaffrey is always a huge injury risk. I personally think it was a bad trade for @jiraffejustin. Whatever increase in points he gets from upgrading from Jacobs to McCaffrey likely won't be worth losing Gibbs in the deal as well, but I'm extremely high on Gibbs. For all the hype Bijan Robinson has gotten, I think there's a decent chance Gibbs is just as good if not better this season. (I keep forgetting that Justin also received Sutton in the deal, but that's because Sutton feels like such a "meh" guy. Although if Jeudy is out for extended time and Russell Wilson doesn't play like ass again, Sutton might be a sneaky good WR2.)

The other trade feels like @Powdered Water panicking on Kupp's hamstring issue, but kudos to Justin for exploiting that fear of the unknown. What's puzzling to me is that PW is trading him away for another WR dealing with the same issue at the moment (Jeudy) and a guy who missed half the season last year with a hamstring injury of his own (Keenan Allen) and who is at the age when we typically see a decline in performance. When healthy last season, Kupp was averaging even more points than Justin Jefferson. I feel like Kupp should definitely fetch more than Allen/Jeudy in a trade (although both guys are very good, especially Allen). Who knows, maybe PW has a friend of a friend who is cousins with Kupp's personal trainer and he's got inside information that Kupp is about to miss the next 8 weeks.

At the rate @jiraffejustin is going, he will have acquired Mahomes and Kelce by the end of the week.

Sedai 09-05-23 10:05 AM

Obviously a lot of questions with my squad, but I am going to see how things shake out for a couple of weeks before making any moves. My RB situation is especially dicey, so hopefully things work out well there over the next few weeks.

TONGO 09-05-23 12:39 PM

Kittles hurt, and my backup TE is a rookie who may not even get targeted. Other than that I'm debating if I should play my Chiefs RB or Brandin Cooks in my Flex. So far I can't complain.

Powdered Water 09-06-23 05:22 AM

I guess I may have made a bad deal eh? Probably. I admit, I really don't follow football very close these days. So instead of panic it was, "Oh, one if my main guys is already hurt... again?" Then Justin came thru and I figured why not? Maybe its moves like this that keep me pretty mediocre at this game? Its cool. We'll see how it shakes out.

rauldc14 09-06-23 09:08 AM

And maybe a bit of a panic trade on my end but I shipped Gainwell to Justin for Luke Musgrave. Well I have to start someone with Kelce out and the waiver wire is beyond awful. You would think the Eagles are assembling a 3 headed RB monster since two of them are so injury prone. There's a chance I regret the trade but it was worth the chance.

TONGO 09-06-23 09:49 AM

Detroit is coming to Kansas City tonight, game 1 week 1. Wouldn't it be funny if the first game of the year ended up being the biggest upset of the year? Any Given Thursday.

rauldc14 09-06-23 09:53 AM

Not as big of an upset now that Kelce is out. There's no level A playmakers now for Mahones to throw the ball to. Not that he really needs that anyways, but just saying.

I still think the Chiefs win this one, something to the tune of say 23-13 or so.

Wyldesyde19 09-06-23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2410229)
And maybe a bit of a panic trade on my end but I shipped Gainwell to Justin for Luke Musgrave. Well I have to start someone with Kelce out and the waiver wire is beyond awful. You would think the Eagles are assembling a 3 headed RB monster since two of them are so injury prone. There's a chance I regret the trade but it was worth the chance.
I don’t know. Kmet is available and worth a start while Kelce is out.

Yoda 09-06-23 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2410221)
I guess I may have made a bad deal eh? Probably. I admit, I really don't follow football very close these days. So instead of panic it was, "Oh, one if my main guys is already hurt... again?" Then Justin came thru and I figured why not? Maybe its moves like this that keep me pretty mediocre at this game? Its cool. We'll see how it shakes out.
Personally I don't think it's bad, at least not given the current information we have. It's totally reasonable to mitigate downside while an injury is in flux.

The jokes about justin are more about a) combining the Kupp trade with the C-Mac trade and b) imagining Kupp comes back by the second half, in which case the team from that point forward has quite a few top level playmakers.

Personally I think people reacting to trades routinely judge them only on upside potential, draft position, or name value, as opposed to factoring in team need and/or uncertainty about injuries and all that. People also tend to undervalue depth. It never made sense to me when people gave me grief about it, so I'm sure as hell not gonna give anyone grief the other way.

Wyldesyde19 09-06-23 02:57 PM

I usually wait until the season has begun before I make trades, but those make sense.

I do have one in mind but first, let’s see how my players perform the first week

rauldc14 09-06-23 06:18 PM

Depth is important at the beginning but once we get to week 6-7 it isn't that important of say a team starts off 6-1, 5-2 so on. Because then you are just shaping your playoff team.

Yoda 09-06-23 06:25 PM

Yep, if you're confident you're in the playoffs it makes sense to try to consolidate depth into your starting lineup. Not too much, otherwise one injury leaves a huge hole in your lineup, but depth matters less as you go.

It's close to invaluable early on, though. If you've got startable skill players, particularly RBs, there's always gonna be a few teams who need them desperately a few weeks in.

rauldc14 09-06-23 06:52 PM

Anyways, I can't think of a time where I've had as much bad luck before a season begins as I currently have in another league right now. Which now makes me wonder why I joined a league that drafted so damn early. I have Kupp and Jonathan Taylor on my IR and it looks as if Kittle and McLaurin may be out week 1 too possibly.

Wyldesyde19 09-06-23 07:11 PM

Depth doesn’t matter until your whole starting RB or WR lineups are injured, and you’re left scrambling to fill in the gaps. I’ve seen this happen in my short time with the league. Especially when byes hit hard toward the middle and end of the season.

Wyldesyde19 09-06-23 07:13 PM

Oh wait….that was me.
2021: all RB’s hurt and miss time.
2022: all WR’s are hurt and miss time.

TONGO 09-06-23 08:42 PM

Filling WR slots is a challenge. Filling RB slots is hopeless. I remember when we would do a 14 team league, people were starting complete unknowns.

Justin, 3 trades before the season starts?! Dude, I don't think I've even done that ;)

jiraffejustin 09-06-23 09:55 PM

Looks like PW didn’t make a bad trade.

Yoda 09-07-23 01:15 AM

Looking better, at least.

I think if he misses 3-4 games you might still win it, if your team is playoff bound either way you want your value backloaded anyway, so we'll see. Because of that it's possible for you both to win it, frankly.

But yeah, there's obvious risk-reward with this stuff when the injury status is uncertain, so I find pretty much all such deals inherently reasonable based on everyone's tolerance for that (or best guess about the most likely outcome).

Hey Fredrick 09-07-23 09:45 AM

Was invited to a 16 team survivor league and we drafted last night. This is my first time trying a survivor league. Talk about reaching for players. Take everything you think you know about drafting for fantasy and toss it right out the window. Jalen Hurts went No. 1 overall. By round 8 I was beginning to feel like the GM of the Cleveland Indians in Major league - "I haven't heard of half of these guys and the ones I have heard of are way past their prime" - along with the reply - "Most of them never had a prime." Should be interesting just hope I make it past week 1

Sedai 09-08-23 10:16 AM

A big thanks to @Holden Pike for another slick logo this season. Mucho Appreciated, my friend!

Holden Pike 09-08-23 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2410641)
A big thanks to @Holden Pike for another slick logo this season. Mucho Appreciated, my friend!
Surely. I believe this is the first year I have been in the MoFo League that somebody has snaked Justin Tucker away from me. I got McPherson, who should have a good year, but Tuck is the bestest!

Sedai 09-08-23 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2410644)
Surely. I believe this is the first year I have been in the MoFo League that somebody has snaked Justin Tucker away from me. I got McPherson, who should have a good year, but Tuck is the bestest!
Blame good ol' Yahoo, as I was vacationing in the whites up in New Hampshire during the draft. You most certainly would have nabbed him if I was present in the draft room!

TONGO 09-08-23 12:48 PM

Well safe to say KCs Pacheco is going to be a bench player unless my starting RBs get hurt or on a Bye. Live and learn. He is catching balls though, but Mahomes has a vast network he throws too, indicative of many great QBs.

Sedai 09-08-23 01:17 PM

Already an upset, and we've just had one game. Just watched all the highlights from the game, and am now thinking I should have watched it live!

Wyldesyde19 09-08-23 04:04 PM

St Brown looked like he was in for a big night, trending towards 20+ points but petered out in the second half. He was a concern.

Ekeler is probably my biggest concern, as Sedai won’t have Taylor for our game, which makes things easier on my team. Akers could be a factor.
Maybe Ridley, depending on how rusty he may be.

Should be interesting come Sunday

Hey Fredrick 09-09-23 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2410463)
Was invited to a 16 team survivor league and we drafted last night. This is my first time trying a survivor league. Talk about reaching for players. Take everything you think you know about drafting for fantasy and toss it right out the window. Jalen Hurts went No. 1 overall. By round 8 I was beginning to feel like the GM of the Cleveland Indians in Major league - "I haven't heard of half of these guys and the ones I have heard of are way past their prime" - along with the reply - "Most of them never had a prime." Should be interesting just hope I make it past week 1

Just found out it's NOT a Survivor league. The leagues name is Survivor and it's a guillotine league. Anybody ever try one of these? There's no head to head scoring. We have 16 teams, the lowest scoring team for each week is eliminated and all their players go to the waiver wire. The remaining teams do the waiver process, I'm assuming the lowest score is waiver 1, rinse and repeat until there is one team standing. I'm pretty excited to try this so I'm sure I'll be done after week one. Starting two rookie WR's and a rookie TE doesn't give me a ton of confidence.

Wyldesyde19 09-09-23 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2410819)
Just found out it's NOT a Survivor league. The leagues name is Survivor and it's a guillotine league. Anybody ever try one of these? There's no head to head scoring. We have 16 teams, the lowest scoring team for each week is eliminated and all their players go to the waiver wire. The remaining teams do the waiver process, I'm assuming the lowest score is waiver 1, rinse and repeat until there is one team standing. I'm pretty excited to try this so I'm sure I'll be done after week one. Starting two rookie WR's and a rookie TE doesn't give me a ton of confidence.
That sounds like so much fun!

TONGO 09-09-23 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2410819)

I agree, that does sound fun.

seanc 09-09-23 07:47 PM

That does sound cool. If enough of us think so, we should try one next year.

TONGO 09-09-23 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2410875)
Why not this year? Were only gonna be missing week 1, and not everybody's gonna be there at the very end anyway the way that format is.

rauldc14 09-09-23 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2410875)
Totally down

Hey Fredrick 09-09-23 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2410880)
Why not this year? Were only gonna be missing week 1, and not everybody's gonna be there at the very end anyway the way that format is.

There is a lot of wiggle room for starting one of these leagues. If you have twelve teams it would be a 12 week season so you could start it in week 4 or 5. I don't think you'd want to have it all come down to week 17 with playoffs locked up and some big names potentially sitting out.

seanc 09-09-23 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2410880)
True. You want to get it going? I am down

TONGO 09-10-23 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2410900)
True. You want to get it going? I am down

Im in..well.id have to be if im gonna get it going lol, ill look on Yahoo .... is this available on Yahoo @Hey Fredrick ?

TONGO 09-10-23 12:13 AM

I cant find a guillotine league online that is free..Does anyone know of any?

Hey Fredrick 09-10-23 10:22 AM

This is the league I'm in https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/1049273 I guess you could create a league and just copy the setting from here? I don't know. I'm not exactly sure how it all works, it's my first time trying it and I think it's the first time the guy running it has done one.

TONGO 09-10-23 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2410936)
This is the league I'm in https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/1049273 I guess you could create a league and just copy the setting from here? I don't know. I'm not exactly sure how it all works, it's my first time trying it and I think it's the first time the guy running it has done one.

Yeah it's not allowing me in from your link, and I can't find anywhere on Yahoo how to create a guillotine league, only standard, and salary cap.

seanc 09-10-23 10:47 AM

I will get out my laptop and see if I can figure it out this afternoon

TONGO 09-10-23 11:22 AM

Back to Week 1

Kittle may be playing after all, Nijee Harris will probably be splitting carries with some guy the Clowns nabbed, and I might lose to PW.

a May, a Probably, and a Might = this post is spam.

rauldc14 09-10-23 11:34 AM

Ya we could still pull this off maybe draft Tuesday night or Wednesday?

seanc 09-10-23 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2410936)
Yeah, we can't view the page because we aren't in the league unfortunately.

Wyldesyde19 09-10-23 06:41 PM

Tough Break for Dobbins. Was looking good out there

Holden Pike 09-10-23 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)

My wife and I were right there in the corner of the endzone, eight rows back, both for Dobbins' TD and for watching him hobble down the sideline on his attempt to get a second.

jiraffejustin 09-10-23 09:21 PM

0-1 baby

Wyldesyde19 09-10-23 09:57 PM

Dallas D just crushed any hope I had of coming back in less than a quarter.

TONGO 09-11-23 12:08 AM

This is the ugliest Week 1 score wise for all our teams. I underperformed but poor PW got goose egged by Higgins. All Tuckered Out had 2 0s'. Brutal.

Wyldesyde19 09-11-23 12:58 AM

Yeah, seriously. Many QB’s struggled (Burrows, Jackson, Smith and Fields) while others under performed while their teams still won (Hurts, Prescot).

Ah well. It’s only the first week, and a loss (unless Diggs goes crazy) won’t set me back this early.I started 0-2 last year with horrible scoring, and I like this team far more so I’m sure things shall be fine.

Didn’t expect Dallas D to go insane this week tho. 😒

Yoda 09-11-23 10:42 AM

Yeah, eegads those are some low scores. Glad it isn't just me.

Sedai 09-11-23 11:51 AM

I was quite worried when two of my guys dialed up goose eggs. Without Dallas D going crazy, I would most certainly be losing. Could still happen with Diggs still to play, but odds are long there. Will adjust my lineup next week, and hopefully Hurts remembers Goedert is on his team...

seanc 09-11-23 12:53 PM

I play in a league with my two boys and they were matched up yesterday. Trash talking was on all day yesterday and they went into last night with my oldest on top comfortably. He had Giants K left and my youngest had Dallas D. You know where this is going. Needless to say the trash talk hasn’t stopped yet but the tables have turned. Pretty fun week 1 at my house despite the fact unless Josh goes back ff I probably will be 0-1 in both leagues.

Wyldesyde19 09-11-23 09:46 PM

Starting to think Holden is just cursed. Thankfully he has his game wrapped up against Yoda, but Rodgers getting hurt on his…..second play I think?….is just brutal!

Holden Pike 09-11-23 10:36 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Up9DEn0.gif

TONGO 09-11-23 11:06 PM

X Rays on his ankle came back negative, whew.

Wow, the highest scoring team in our league this week put up 2 donuts.

Holden Pike 09-12-23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2411190)
X Rays on his ankle came back negative, whew.
But an Achilles injury is not visible to X-Ray. The MRI will reveal all tomorrow. Does not look good.

Wyldesyde19 09-12-23 12:54 AM

Early word is they fear it’s his Achilles. Not good at all.

Holden Pike 09-12-23 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I can't believe I may have lost my QB on his fourth snap of the season. The rest of my Week One wasn't pretty either - it was partially Purty, or at least Purty adjacent - but a win is a win, I guess? Despite thuds in four of my seven main spots, it was all just barely enough to start 2023 in the win column.

I sat two of my four top draft picks, and probably should have sat a third. Baltimore's Mark Andrews was a not terribly surprising gametime scratch which left me screwed at TE. My backup option is Buc Cade Otten, who caught only two short passes for 2.90 points. Jet superstar-to-be Breece Hall was looking like he was probably going to play Monday night, but during the week I feared he may be on a pitch count...so I got clever. With Jonathan Taylor definitely out and Zack Moss likely out too, young Deon Jackson was the Colts' defacto lead RB. He was projected at over ten points so I scooped him up and started him in favor of Breece! The Indianapolis back rushed for 14 yards, caught FIVE passes but for only another 14 yards, he did not score, oh, yeah, and he lost two fumbles. 1.30 fantasy points. What a genius I am. Of course Breece did wind up playing, and even with the shocking early loss of Rodgers and splitting carries with veteran Dalvin Cook he racked up 147 total yards including an explosive 83-yard dash! Those 15.20 points were slightly better than Deon Jackson and his fumbleitis (coming soon to a waiver wire near you).

The other splat was Terry McLaurin. He is the one I should have sat on Sunday. On the injury report for the last two weeks with turf toe, he played, but I knew he wasn't at 100%. He had just a pair of catches for 31 yards (4.10 points), definitely not his fully fleet-footed self.

Those three low scores alone would have sunk me, most weeks, even before taking a zero from my QB. My other Commander, second-year back Brian Robinson, had a decent day with 59 yards on the ground and one catch, which was a 7-yard TD (13.10 points). Much better was my number one pick, the first player taken in the draft. The mighty Justin Jefferson proved his worth by scoring 19.50 points in an embarrassing Vikings loss where he did not score. He still managed nine receptions on twelve targets for 150 yards! When he starts adding TDs in there...woah. If nineteen points are his floor I can hardly wait to see his ceilings!

But my week was truly saved by my FLEX spot and my DEF. The Green Bay Packers didn't have much trouble with Justin Fields, and a late pick-six gave me 15.00 points from their defense. But my true MVP of the week is San Fran's Brandon Aiyuk. He went off in Pittsburgh catching all eight of his targets (129 yards) with two of them in the end zone (28.90 points).

I did believe going in that I had depth at wide receiver, and that turned out to be true. Through one week, anyway. On my bench was the Colt I should have played, Michael Pittman, who had eight catches for 97 yards and a TD (19.70 points) and New Orleans Saint Rashid Shaheed who had 100 combined yards and a TD, though he did lose a fumble (16.50 points).

Mathematically I had already won before the Aaron Rodgers disaster on Monday Night Football, thank goodness. I did not need a single point from him and turns out a single point was unachievable this night. It certainly helped that Yoda's stars faltered even worse than mine, en masse, but I will take it. Who in the fart knows what will become of Rodgers this season, if he is out for a couple weeks or two months or the whole fu*kin' thing (looking like the whole thing)? But if and when Mark Andrews, Breece Hall, and Terry McLaurin are all healthy and in my lineup I could potentially still be OK. Or OK-ish?

Oy.

Wyldesyde19 09-12-23 01:47 AM

Scored over 100 points despite my QB putting up his worst production in his young career. I’ll take the loss, seeing as it took an unlikely 37 point performance from the Dallas D to beat me.

Burrow won’t put up 3 point games often, and defenses won’t put up 30+ point performances against me every week.

They’re a lot to like about my team. I can rebound from this. Easily. 8-6 is usually enough to get me into the playoffs, and that’s what I’m aiming for at the least.

Next week, I get Holden, who I edged out for 3rd place last year. I’m 2-3 against him, so I’d like to even our series up.

Good luck Holden!

Powdered Water 09-12-23 04:57 AM

Looks like several guys on my bench had good games and my regulars... did not. Thats fun!

Holden Pike 09-12-23 09:20 AM

I was all in on Rodgers, too. I took him as my primary QB in both of my leagues. I got lucky in my other league that the round after I took him Tua Tagovailoa was still sitting there available, so I have him. Even started him over Rodgers this week, mainly based on strength of opponent.

Ugh.

seanc 09-12-23 09:48 AM

Rodgers might have done you a favor to keep you from choosing every week. Miami offense looked primed.

Worst case scenario as a fan and fantasy player for me week1. No worries yet, Allen will get his.

Yoda 09-12-23 04:55 PM

Full disclosure, Holden accidentally dropped Terry McLaurin. He let me know right away so I added him back to the roster.

rauldc14 09-12-23 04:56 PM

I was wondering about that. Seemed a strange drop.

Holden Pike 09-12-23 05:36 PM

I had my phone in my pocket while mowing the lawn, awaiting a call from my wife. Apparently I had the app open and did just the right motions to unintentionally select, confirm, and drop McLaurin. WTF.

Holden Pike 09-12-23 09:02 PM

Now dropping Aaron Rodgers, THAT I did on purpose.

Hey Fredrick 09-13-23 10:34 AM

If anybody is interested I created a guillotine league using the same settings as the one I'm already in. I wanted to see how everything worked before committing to trying one.

I think starting week 3 makes the most sense. If we get 14 teams the championship would be week 16. How it works is lowest team score of the week is eliminated and all their players got to waivers. Draft would probably be next week in the evening, 7-9 ish CST. The only change I made was passing td's are 6 points, not 4.

TONGO 09-13-23 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2411413)
If anybody is interested I created a guillotine league using the same settings as the one I'm already in. I wanted to see how everything worked before committing to trying one.

I think starting week 3 makes the most sense. If we get 14 teams the championship would be week 16. How it works is lowest team score of the week is eliminated and all their players got to waivers. Draft would probably be next week in the evening, 7-9 ish CST. The only change I made was passing td's are 6 points, not 4.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo...7c5d0a41dc8919
Im in! Thank you Freddie! You should make a thread for this league.