Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=37917)

Iroquois 11-21-14 05:41 AM

The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread

The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread

How It Works:

Everyone PMs me a ranked list of their 25 favourite albums. The #1 album gets 25 points, the #2 album gets 24 points, and so on. I tally up the points and list the 100 albums that scored the most.

The Rules:

1. When voting for a particular album, specify the album title, the band/artist and the year of release e.g. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd, 1973. This is to help distinguish between multiple entries that may have the same title.

2. No singles/EPs. Nominated albums must be at least 25 minutes in length per the commonly accepted minimum length of an LP. Possible exceptions to the rule (e.g. Dream Theater's 55-minute "EP" A Change of Seasons) will be considered on a case-by-case basis. There is no maximum length in place.

3. No compilations. Aside from "Greatest Hits" albums, this also means no box sets comprised of multiple standalone albums (e.g. Pink Floyd's Discovery box set). Compilations of the "B-sides and rarities" sub-type will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

4. No bootlegs/unauthorised recordings. That'll just complicate things in so many ways.

5. Soundtrack albums are permitted on the condition that they consist of either a) an original score e.g. Blade Runner, or b) consist of multiple original songs e.g. The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Soundtracks comprised entirely of licensed songs are not permitted. Albums that mix original music with licensed music will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but the loose rule will be that it must contain more original content than licensed content.

6. Classical recordings are permitted on the condition that you specify the conductor, orchestra and year. e.g. just saying "Beethoven's 9th Symphony" is too vague, while specifying "Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmoniker, 1963" in addition will help. To this end, if you are planning on voting for a particular piece of classical music a version to vote for should be agreed upon before any votes are cast. Check further down the thread to nominate your own picks or to confirm other people's nominations.

Voting closes at 11:59 p.m. AEST on January 31st, 2015. The list will start being published in a separate thread as soon as possible.

Any questions?

EDIT: Voting has been extended indefinitely until I acquire enough votes so that every entry in the top 100 has at least two votes, then for one month after that point. If you are just now seeing this thread then disregard the January 31st deadline and keep sending them it. I'll edit this post again when I have enough votes to reinstate an actual deadline.

EDIT: Here is a list of users who have already sent in lists...

linespalsy
Miss Vicky
christine
Iroquois
Tacitus
Guaporense
Godoggo
Chypmunk
TheUsualSuspect
Camo
Holden Pike
Kaplan
jiraffejustin
Thursday Next
Slappydavis
Loner
gbgoodies
Zotis
cricket
honeykid
mark f

Swan 11-21-14 07:11 AM

So, this is freaking awesome.

The Gunslinger45 11-21-14 08:02 AM

Re: The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread

Dammit Guap! Now none of my list for this will show up! He was a die hard metal head!

TylerDurden99 11-21-14 08:29 AM

This is an awesome idea for a list. I've got a lot of album listening to do before January 31st.

What's the rule on live albums?

Iroquois 11-21-14 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 1207396)
This is an awesome idea for a list. I've got a lot of album listening to do before January 31st.

What's the rule on live albums?
Provided they don't fall under any of the unallowed categories I mentioned in the OP, they're fair game.

Sedai 11-21-14 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1207392)
Dammit Guap! Now none of my list for this will show up! He was a die hard metal head!
So am I! I will have plenty of metal on my list, believe me!

Godoggo 11-21-14 11:21 AM

All you people who posted on my punk & alternative thread better submit a list! :)

This will be fun compiling a list. Also, I think this may be the one list where predicting the top ten would be nearly impossible.

Daniel M 11-21-14 12:40 PM

I might submit a list for this. I have a rough idea of what my list would look like now but I look forward to listening to a lot more stuff, Swan can help me out here :D

linespalsy 11-21-14 12:42 PM

sent my list in

christine 11-21-14 12:49 PM

I'll look at mine tonight :)

christine 11-21-14 02:00 PM

It's ok to have double albums tho right? Like the Beatles White Album or triple ones like Tom Waits Orphans?

getting only 25 albums on my list is awful hard. I reckon we could've done a 100 list each easy! I could do about 30 just of Dylans albums!

mark f 11-21-14 02:03 PM

Sure, double and triple albums count. 69 Love Songs? :)

Godoggo 11-21-14 02:03 PM

If anyone is looking for recommendations, I have a ton. It Will End in Tears ~ This Mortal Coil and Treasure ~ Cocteau Twins.

If your looking for something harder Zen Arcade ~ Husker Du or Generation X ~ Generation X.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 02:14 PM

This won't be easy for me.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 02:16 PM

A possibly overlooked album to consider:

Suspiria, Goblin, 1977

mark f 11-21-14 02:33 PM

I remember what my dad said when my brother put his Suspiria soundtrack on at home in the '70s. "Put some pretty music on Todd instead of that noise *****." :D

Swan 11-21-14 02:42 PM

Just goes to show how great it actually is.

linespalsy 11-21-14 02:47 PM

It really wasn't that hard for me. I mean, I left off a bunch of stuff I really love, but almost all of my choices were albums that I've listened to a ton for years. I have one double album but for the most part I prefer shorter albums; most of my picks don't exceed 45 minutes.

linespalsy 11-21-14 02:51 PM

I recommend people (other than mark) listen to The Residents - Duck Stab!

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 02:52 PM

I don't know if I can do this. I tried to assemble 25 albums, I had way too many. Then I tried to assemble 25 artists/bands I wanted to represent, I had way too many. I don't know, man. This could be like pulling teeth for me. Also, vote for Pet Sounds and not the Beatles.

Swan 11-21-14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1207521)
Also, vote for Pet Sounds and not the Beatles.
Bitchass, you can bet I'll be putting The White Album on my list.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1207522)
Bitchass, you can bet I'll be putting The White Album on my list.
That's a bitchass thing to do. You bitchass!

It's also a racist thing to do. You racist!

Swan 11-21-14 02:57 PM

The White Album is a work of pure genius, you bitchass.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 03:13 PM

The Whack Album is a work of pure bitchassery. Needs more Yoko Ono.

Chypmunk 11-21-14 03:14 PM

Cool idea, count me in once I manage to get to ten posts (apparently a requirement to pm lol).

Swan 11-21-14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1207526)
The Whack Album is a work of pure bitchassery. Needs more Yoko Ono.
Only a bitchass Kanye fan would diss The White Album.

christine 11-21-14 03:22 PM

I don't know if I can do this! I can do half my list with just Johnny Cash, or my whole list with Dylan. I think I might've lived too long to do this :D

Swan 11-21-14 03:24 PM

The hardest thing about being a Beck fan is picking my favorite album of his. I'll probably do Modern Guilt just because that has the most nostalgic value for me.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 03:28 PM

The White Album had one thing right, Happiness is Warm Gun, because every time I hear a track from the White Album, I want to shoot myself in the face.

Theo 11-21-14 03:29 PM

Happiness is a Warm Gun is a masterpiece.

Godoggo 11-21-14 03:30 PM

:cool:
Originally Posted by christine (Post 1207531)
I don't know if I can do this! I can do half my list with just Johnny Cash, or my whole list with Dylan. I think I might've lived too long to do this :D
I know what you mean.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should go with my absolute favorites are try to be diverse and through in stuff from all the genres I like. Which is pretty much everything except for Death Metal and Techno.

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 03:32 PM

I thought the Clash said phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust?

Swan 11-21-14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1207536)
I thought the Clash said phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust?
You never saw my sister's room when she was in high school. Beatles everywhere.

TokeZa 11-21-14 03:35 PM

I wouldnt know where to start in terms of making a list, all i know is Joy Division, Velvet Underground and Raw Power would be on there!

Im interested in following this list and i actually hope that some noise and techno will make it (but probably not)!

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 03:35 PM

Should we do a list of bands that are better than The Beatles instead of an albums list?

jiraffejustin 11-21-14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TokeZa (Post 1207540)
I wouldnt know where to start in terms of making a list, all i know is Joy Division, Velvet Underground and Raw Power would be on there!

Im interested in following this list and i actually hope that some noise and techno will make it (but probably not)!
I want to vote for Joy Division and Velvet Underground (and Nico,) I don't know much about Raw Power. I don't know how much space will be on my list though.

I'd be interested in some noise recommendations.

Sexy Celebrity 11-21-14 03:39 PM

I feel a little skeptical of this working. I mean, it very well might, but there are just SO MANY ALBUMS out there... and people are into so many different things. It seems even more vast than the television shows countdown, and there's a lot of options there to vote for, but people tend to be into the same kind of television shows, especially the latest, popular ones and cult faves. Would this work out, though, with albums? I cannot even think of what the top 20 would be like. This feels like it could turn into Rodent's Superhero/Comic Book Movies list. Maybe. Maybe not.

Theo 11-21-14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1207541)
Should we do a list of bands that are better than The Beatles instead of an albums list?
I only realized how great The Beatles were when I listened to their entire discography in chronological order. It's amazing how they just kept getting better and better.

christine 11-21-14 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 1207546)
I only realized how great The Beatles were when I listened to their entire discography in chronological order. It's amazing how they just kept getting better and better.
People from Liverpool do that :D

mark f 11-21-14 04:06 PM

For Beck, I'd choose the vastly-underrated Mutations.

Swan 11-21-14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1207556)
For Beck, I'd choose the vastly-underrated Mutations.
I could, his albums are all pretty much equal to me. That album deserves it just for "Tropicalia" and "Lazy Flies" alone.

Iroquois 11-21-14 05:30 PM

Sea Change is the only Beck album I'd remotely consider putting near the top 25.

mark f 11-21-14 05:34 PM

That's approved.

Sedai 11-21-14 05:43 PM

When ever I buy a Beck CD, I make sure to buy 2 copies. That way, I can put a stick through the middle and use the newly-built contraption to dispense toilet paper.

mark f 11-21-14 05:50 PM

How many have you bought?

Iroquois 11-21-14 06:53 PM

One further clarification - I will accept albums that are below the stipulated minimum length of 25 minutes provided they are still officially considered albums e.g. The Circle Jerks' Group Sex or Misfits' Earth A.D./Wolf's Blood.

Swan 11-21-14 06:54 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/YcsFjpFkXKLUQ/giphy.gif

R.P. McMurphy 11-21-14 06:59 PM

I'm into this. Will require some serious mental rolodexing...

linespalsy 11-21-14 10:03 PM

I think my favorite Beck album is One Foot In the Grave but I didn't vote for it. Didn't vote for any Beatles either (not that I'm a hater at all).

4 rap albums made my list, and I think I had 4 groups with more than 1 album.

Godoggo 11-21-14 10:39 PM

Yeah, it's doubtful that I'll vote for any Beatles but that doesn't mean that I don't think The White Album is fantastic.

I have to put Nick Cave and Robyn Hitchcock on my list. Both have albums I'm debating between.

And Crass. Must have Crass.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 11-21-14 11:07 PM

Weird, another board I'm at just started a top 100 albums list too. That's convenient.

Also, Mutations is at the very least Beck's most underrated album. My top 3 would probably be Sea Change, Odelay, and Mutations, but I'm not sure of the order. At least one will be on my list, probably two.

And you can bet your sweet bippy i'll have some beatles on my list. At least two.

Harry Lime 11-22-14 01:37 AM

1. London Calling, The Clash, 1979

Harry Lime 11-22-14 01:43 AM

Also, I guess we could do books after?

Sexy Celebrity 11-22-14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 1207805)
This is something I thought about once -- nobody's done a Top Book anything yet.

cricket 11-22-14 11:34 PM

Expect a heavy dose of Rock 'N' Roll from me, and very little, if anything, from the last 20 years.:cool:

Iroquois 11-22-14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1207527)
Cool idea, count me in once I manage to get to ten posts (apparently a requirement to pm lol).
Per the rules laid down for the Top 100 TV Shows thread, you'll have to stay on the forum for at least a month after registering before you can submit a list.

Godoggo 11-22-14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 1207805)
I was pondering whether or not that would work yesterday. I think it might.

Sexy Celebrity 11-22-14 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1208185)
Per the rules laid down for the Top 100 TV Shows thread, you'll have to stay on the forum for at least a month after registering before you can submit a list.
Yep. And you don't even have to post for that whole month, too, especially if you're Holden Pike's friend.

Iroquois 11-22-14 11:50 PM

I think someone else can manage the Top 100 Books countdown if they want, but I figure I'll be the one to handle the Top 100 Videogames countdown.

Iroquois 11-22-14 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1208187)
Yep. And you don't even have to post for that whole month, too, especially if you're Holden Pike's friend.
I don't follow.

Sexy Celebrity 11-22-14 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1208190)
I don't follow.
You missed what I'm referring to. Someone might get it.

Anyway, the book countdown, while an interesting idea, sounds like the most impossible of all. So many books... but still, I guess it's possible.

Cobpyth 11-22-14 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1207521)
Also, vote for Pet Sounds and not the Beatles.
Voting both. ;)

Miss Vicky 11-23-14 12:11 AM

I've got my 25. It's doesn't really look much like I thought it would. I'm finding as I'm looking through my collection that a lot of my favorite artists have numerous songs I enjoy, but have few if any albums that I love from start to finish.

Iroquois 11-23-14 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1208191)

Anyway, the book countdown, while an interesting idea, sounds like the most impossible of all. So many books... but still, I guess it's possible.
Just as movies and TV have their own "greatest of all-time" kind of canons, I'm sure similar works that are widely considered all-time classics (or at least popular ones) will fill the lists out. Just look at all the people in this thread saying they'll vote for the Beatles. I'm sure if a book thread came to pass there'd be a bunch of votes for To Kill a Mockingbird or 1984.

Miss Vicky 11-23-14 12:45 AM

List sent.

linespalsy 11-23-14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1208191)

On the other hand, most people don't read that much.

Thursday Next 11-23-14 04:07 PM

I think a book list sounds great.

Iroquois 11-24-14 12:14 AM

So do I, though I have to wonder whether or not it should be limited to just novels or if certain works of non-fiction could be permitted as well. There'd have to be some rules for clarity's sake, sort of like what I set up with this thread where possible exceptions are reviewed individually.

Sexy Celebrity 11-24-14 12:19 AM

I would like to see people do more of their own individual lists. I'd like to see individual Top 100 Books lists and so forth. Instead of all of this group/collective thing we've got going on with everything now.

Swan 11-24-14 12:20 AM

Soon this forum will succumb to the celebrity culture and we'll do a Top 100 Hottest Hollywood Couples.

Sexy Celebrity 11-24-14 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1208773)
Soon this forum will succumb to the celebrity culture and we'll do a Top 100 Hottest Hollywood Couples.
Ooooh... Top 100 Movie Stars.

Iroquois 11-24-14 12:21 AM

Top 100 Top 100 Threads.

Sexy Celebrity 11-24-14 12:22 AM

I would LOVE to see Top 100 Movie Stars. Maybe I should do it?

Miss Vicky 11-24-14 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1208761)
So do I, though I have to wonder whether or not it should be limited to just novels or if certain works of non-fiction could be permitted as well. There'd have to be some rules for clarity's sake, sort of like what I set up with this thread where possible exceptions are reviewed individually.
If it's only limited to novels, I'll either not participate or send only a partial list. I don't do much reading, but a lot of what I do read are autobiographies.

Sexy Celebrity 11-24-14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1208780)
If it's only limited to novels, I'll either not participate or send only a partial list. I don't do much reading, but a lot of what I do read are autobiographies.
1. Tom Petty Tells All
2. Lindsey's Life: The Buckingham Bio
3. Joaquin Phoenix: Will Anyone Actually Read This? (Besides Miss Vicky)
4. If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

Frightened Inmate No. 2 11-24-14 01:22 AM

i don't really read much so i couldn't do a top 100 books, but i think it sounds like a great idea if there's enough interest. i think a top 100 movie stars/top 50 directors list would be cool too.

Godoggo 11-24-14 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1208761)
With novels I think there would be a good chance of quite a few showing up on multiple lists. Non-fiction is where it would be really individualistic. It's not likely that anyone but me would have Don't Shoot the Dog on their list or Genetics and the Social Behavior of the Dog and it would be the same with most people. At least I think.

linespalsy 11-24-14 10:57 AM

I tried compiling a top 100 books list a while back but ultimately wasn't satisfied enough the result. There were too many books that I'd only read once, ten or more years ago. I've been compiling top ten lists of books by decade of publication, though, so maybe someday I'll be ready.

I've also thought about doing comics, which would be a lot easier since it takes much less time to re-visit those.

the samoan lawyer 11-24-14 11:17 AM

John Martyn - Solid Air. If you havnt already listened to it then please do before the countdown.

Modine 11-24-14 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1208779)
I would LOVE to see Top 100 Movie Stars. Maybe I should do it?
I'm not one for lists but I think this one would be amazing.

christine 11-24-14 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer (Post 1208865)
John Martyn - Solid Air. If you havnt already listened to it then please do before the countdown.
great choice :)

Iroquois 11-24-14 08:51 PM

This is probably going to sound like a silly question, but should I have cast my own vote first?

Sexy Celebrity 11-24-14 09:04 PM

No, 'cause I'm still working on my list for the Movie Stars Countdown.

Iroquois 11-24-14 09:11 PM

Ehhh, I've taken three votes now and I've just had the realisation that if I left mine until last then it would be possible for me to influence the results in my favour. Even though I wouldn't do that, that's kind of how it'd look like so now I realise I should have just voted first. I guess I'll go add mine now.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if a couple of my choices are sincere choices or if I'm just pushing them onto the list because I know other people have already voted for them. I really should have thought this through.

EDIT AGAIN: Submitted my own list.

christine 11-25-14 11:57 AM

You got mine Iro?

Iroquois 11-25-14 08:19 PM

Yes, your picks have been added to the list. This brings the total number of votes up to four (including mine).

Iroquois 11-28-14 01:45 AM

*bump*

Godoggo 11-28-14 01:51 AM

I'm going to work on mine tonight so I should have one to you soon.

Godoggo 11-28-14 09:13 PM

This may be helpful to some of you. I've been checking best of lists making sure I get everything on my list that I want to and not miss anything. I ran across this : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolli...ms_of_All_Time

It's certainly worth taking a gander at. I found several albums that I had missed and may want to include.

Iroquois 11-29-14 06:24 AM

Rolling Stone's top 500 is as good a place to start checking out the popular music canon, but I'd also recommend any of the various editions of 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die because they (quite understandably) offer a broader scope of classic/essential albums from the same period of time.

Iroquois 12-06-14 07:33 AM

I'm going to bump this thread once a week until voting closes so...

Tacitus 12-06-14 07:46 AM

Done, after a fashion. ;)

Iroquois 12-06-14 08:10 AM

Excellent. That brings the grand total of votes to...five.

It's going to be a long couple of months.

Tacitus 12-06-14 08:14 AM

I don't mind. It just means that there's more chance of Chapterhouse making the cut. :p

mistique 12-06-14 08:18 AM

This sounds awesome, I'm gonna make a list.

Iroquois 12-06-14 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 1214833)
I don't mind. It just means that there's more chance of Chapterhouse making the cut. :p
Heh, okay, I had to look them up.

Originally Posted by mistique (Post 1214834)
This sounds awesome, I'm gonna make a list.
Excellent!

Iroquois 12-13-14 10:32 PM

"Just for a minute, let's all do the bump..."

Guaporense 12-15-14 04:13 AM

Metal Archives top lists for those interested:

Top 100 Heavy Metal Albums list
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/...ic.php?t=45511

Top 100 Doom Metal Albums list
http://www.listchallenges.com/metal-...m-metal-albums

Top 100 Thrash Metal Albums list
http://www.listchallenges.com/metal-...h-metal-albums

Top 100 Power Metal Albums list
http://www.listchallenges.com/metal-...r-metal-albums

Top 100 Death Metal Albums list
http://www.listchallenges.com/metal-...h-metal-albums

Top 100 Black Metal Albums list
http://rateyourmusic.com/board_messa..._id_is_1191962

Interestingly these lists were made in the exact same fashion as the movie and TV series lists here.

TylerDurden99 12-16-14 12:53 AM

I've got a bit to listen to before I turn in a list. Luckily, a friend gave me some really cool albums to listen to yesterday, stuff like Dream Theater, N.W.A, Ozzy, Wu-Tang Clan, early Sabbath, Tool and Eric B. & Rakim. so I should at least have a list that isn't mostly Van Halen albums.

the samoan lawyer 12-16-14 09:23 AM

I'll be interested to see which Dylan album finishes highest. What are people thinking? At the minute my favourite is Blood on The Tracks but of course is subject to change.