Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Skepsis' 100 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=31359)

Skepsis93 03-18-13 06:44 PM

Skepsis' 100

Skepsis' 100: 2013 Update

Hi!

I thought about doing another 50 but I decided I didn't want to be so picky and give a better, more rounded view of my tastes, so I'm using several criteria here. Some I love dearly and would call my absolute favourites – those are in the top 50. Those below are favourites, but above all are films that have, in some unique way, stuck in my mind – maybe it contains a performance I love, or I was blown away by the craft, or it's a childhood favourite that evokes a great deal of nostalgia for me. Whatever it is, I love a lot of movies in lots of different ways and I wanted them all to be included here.

Above all I think I want this to be a record of my tastes and cinematic experience up to this point. Comparing this list to the top 50 I did has revealed just how much I have experienced in the last two years or so and I want to be able to look back in another two years (or however long) and see how much progress I've made; how my tastes have changed. I figured that as long as I'm doing that, I might as well share it with you lot – so here it is.

Once again, I'm sure I don't need to remind you that I don’t profess this to be a list of the "best" films in any way, shape or form. I'm in no way qualified nor have I seen enough movies to be able to do that, and have many deficiencies in important films and filmmakers that I am in the continual process of rectifying. So expect to see some not-so-guilty pleasures, and don't be surprised to see some "lesser" films ranked above "important" ones. That said, I do think I have a good mix here and hope that everyone sees something that they like.

I hope you enjoy, and remember – don't take it too seriously!

The list:
100. MY DINNER WITH ANDRE
99. FINDING NEMO
98. HAPPY GILMORE
97. KICK-ASS
96. THAT THING YOU DO!
95. THE STRAIGHT STORY
94. FARGO
93. THE BREAKFAST CLUB
92. KINSEY
91. UP
90. THE ARTIST

89. PLEASANTVILLE
88. COOL RUNNINGS
87. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
86. CHINATOWN
85. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
84. O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
83. THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE
82. MONSTERS, INC.
81. DEAD POETS SOCIETY
80. BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III

79. CHILDREN OF MEN
78. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
77. ANNIE HALL
76. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
75. MYSTIC RIVER
74. THE GREEN MILE
73. RUN LOLA RUN
72. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
71. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
70. LADY VENGEANCE

69. AN AMERICAN CRIME
68. BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
67. TOY STORY
66. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
65. GROUNDHOG DAY
64. HARD CANDY
63. BLACK DYNAMITE
62. PSYCHO
61. PAN'S LABYRINTH
60. NETWORK

59. BELLFLOWER
58. PULP FICTION
57. ALMOST FAMOUS
56. TOOTSIE
55. TAXI DRIVER
54. 12 ANGRY MEN
53. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
52. LA JETÉE
51. THE MASTER
50. SE7EN

49. CAPOTE
48. SCHOOL OF ROCK
47. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
46. AMÉLIE
45. VERTIGO
44. THE LION KING
43. BRUCE ALMIGHTY
42. THE STATION AGENT
41. THE GRADUATE
40. BLACK SWAN

39. BATTLE ROYALE
38. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
37. WALL-E
36. KILL BILL: VOL. 1
35. JUNO
34. REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
33. LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
32. CARRIE
31. MAGNOLIA
30. FORREST GUMP

29. INTO THE WILD
28. THE SOCIAL NETWORK
27. ONCE
26. PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
25. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
24. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
23. TARZAN
22. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
21. THE KING OF KONG
20. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

19. THE APARTMENT
18. HAPPINESS
17. THE TRUMAN SHOW
16. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
15. HAROLD AND MAUDE
14. GONE WITH THE WIND
13. CITY OF GOD
12. DONNIE DARKO
11. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

10. BACK TO THE FUTURE
9. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
8. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
7. BEFORE SUNRISE & BEFORE SUNSET
6. LOST IN TRANSLATION
5. AMERICAN BEAUTY
4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
3. THE SAVAGES
2. SUPER
1. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

Skepsis93 03-18-13 06:44 PM

Re: Skepsis' 100

http://i.imgur.com/1aSD7BX.jpg

100. My Dinner with Andre
Louis Malle, 1981
Wallace Shawn & Andre Gregory

"Remember that moment when Marlon Brando sent the Indian woman to accept the Oscar, and everything went haywire? Things just very rarely go haywire now. If you're just operating by habit, then you're not really living."

http://i.imgur.com/QbsAdaQ.jpg

99. Finding Nemo
Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich, 2003
Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres & Alexander Gould

"If this is some kind of practical joke, it's not funny. And I know funny, I'm a clownfish."

http://i.imgur.com/nHtufwy.jpg

98. Happy Gilmore
Dennis Dugan, 1996
Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald & Julie Bowen

"Damn you people. This is golf, not a rock concert."

http://i.imgur.com/zPnW1Hf.jpg

97. Kick-Ass
Matthew Vaughn, 2010
Aaron Taylor Johnson, Nicolas Cage & Chloe Grace Moretz

"Like every serial killer already knew, eventually fantasizing just doesn't do it for you anymore."

http://i.imgur.com/LLgn6PL.jpg

96. That Thing You Do!
Tom Hanks, 1996
Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler & Tom Everett Scott

"I've found that a hit record is like a stew. All the ingredients have to
come together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup."

Godoggo 03-18-13 06:59 PM

:up: for Finding Nemo.

Sexy Celebrity 03-18-13 07:04 PM

:up: for Happy Gilmore - even though I haven't seen it. It's still Adam Sandler.

Skepsis93 03-18-13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 887725)
:up: for Happy Gilmore - even though I haven't seen it. It's still Adam Sandler.
That and Punch-Drunk Love are the only movies of his that I really like. I don't find him as offensively bad as most others do, but then again I haven't seen any of his most recent movies - Click or Bedtime Stories might have been the last one, and I didn't like either of those.

You should check out Happy Gilmore though - I think you'd like it.

Sexy Celebrity 03-18-13 07:08 PM

You should check out Jack and Jill and That's My Boy.

TylerDurden99 03-18-13 07:10 PM

Happy Gilmore is possibly my favorite Sandler comedy vehicle.

"Just tap it in, tap, tap, tap it in, do a little tappy."

donniedarko 03-18-13 07:32 PM

Finding Nemo and Kick Ass are pretty good films, I want to see My Dinner with Andre

Skepsis93 03-18-13 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the rep and comments so far guys - more movies tomorrow! :D

JayDee 03-18-13 09:13 PM

Man are you guys just screwing with me?! I take all the time to work on the top 100 lists of the board to the point where it is completely up to date, and within minutes Sexy Celebrity has a new list. And now you!!! :mad:

:p

Anyway great to see you starting a new list. Curious to see what you come up with. So far I love Finding Nemo and really enjoy both Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass. Not seen the other two although been curious to see Tom Hanks' directorial debut, That Thing You Do, for a while..

seanc 03-18-13 09:31 PM

Happy Gilmore is on of my five fave comedies for sure. Really like That Thing You Do, but haven't thought about it in years, might be time for a revisit.

cricket 03-18-13 10:17 PM

Sandler is at his peak in Happy Gilmore, a favorite of mine as well.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 887785)
Man are you guys just screwing with me?! I take all the time to work on the top 100 lists of the board to the point where it is completely up to date, and within minutes Sexy Celebrity has a new list. And now you!!! :mad:

:p
Haha! I didn't plan it that way, honest... :p

Anyway great to see you starting a new list. Curious to see what you come up with. So far I love Finding Nemo and really enjoy both Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass. Not seen the other two although been curious to see Tom Hanks' directorial debut, That Thing You Do, for a while..
Thanks, mate. I think you'd like That Thing You Do, it's very silly and a hell of a lot of fun. And if you're ever in a philosophical mood, Andre is the perfect film for that situation.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 887802)
Happy Gilmore is on of my five fave comedies for sure. Really like That Thing You Do, but haven't thought about it in years, might be time for a revisit.
Originally Posted by cricket (Post 887814)
Sandler is at his peak in Happy Gilmore, a favorite of mine as well.
Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 887733)
Happy Gilmore is possibly my favorite Sandler comedy vehicle.

"Just tap it in, tap, tap, tap it in, do a little tappy."
I must admit I was expecting to be lambasted for Happy Gilmore... good to see it getting some love. :)

Skepsis93 03-19-13 11:51 AM

Shall we continue?

http://i.imgur.com/zRDj91I.jpg

95. The Straight Story
David Lynch, 1999
Richard Farnsworth, Sissy Spacek & Harry Dean Stanton

"Anger, vanity, you mix that together with liquor, you've got two brothers that haven't spoken in ten years. Ah, whatever it was that made me and Lyle so mad... don't matter anymore. I want to make peace, I want to sit with him, look up at the stars... like we used to do, so long ago."

http://i.imgur.com/zLcNfN9.jpg

94. Fargo
Joel & Ethan Coen, 1996
William H. Macy, Frances McDormand & Steve Buscemi

"Just keep it still back there, lady, or we're going to have to, you know, shoot you."

http://i.imgur.com/OHlckPX.jpg

93. The Breakfast Club
John Hughes, 1985
Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson & Molly Ringwald

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."

http://i.imgur.com/LCLfT1F.jpg

92. Kinsey
Bill Condon, 2004
Liam Neeson, Laura Linney & Peter Sarsgaard

"Everybody's sin is nobody's sin, and everybody's crime is no crime at all."

http://i.imgur.com/pIR8Li0.jpg

91. Up
Pete Docter & Bob Peterson, 2009
Ed Asner, Jordan Nagai & John Ratzenberger

"Hey, let's play a game. It's called 'See Who Can Be Quiet the Longest'".
"Cool! My mom loves that game!"

TokeZa 03-19-13 12:07 PM

I love The Straight Story and Fargo... havent seen the others.

donniedarko 03-19-13 12:12 PM

Fargo is a good pick, and while it's good, I think it's one of Coen Brothers weaker films. I'll be watching Straight Story before the 90s MoFo list.

Gabrielle947 03-19-13 12:53 PM

I really want to see this list.I was planning to see Network for ages but when you gave a 4.5 in Move Tab thread I finally got myself to watch it and ended up loving it. :D I also finally watched Star Wars which,I believe, you also mentioned somewhere.So,I'll be looking forward to the list.

I'm not a huge fan of animation so Finding Nemo and Up left me emotionless. :D
I like Fargo,Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass.
Haven't seen the others but they don't look very interesting,except for Breakfast Club.

The Prestige 03-19-13 01:00 PM

Well this is a somewhat disappointing list so far. Props for Breakfast Club and maybe Kickass. I've still yet to see The Straight Story, but the rest an unimpressive.

Also, even though i'm glad you're not just listing random stuff, you need to do better than putting a quote from the film underneath a random pic. Think about your list better, man. We'll respect you more for it. See myself, Brodinski, Honeykid, Pyro and mark F's lists for reference.

Daniel M 03-19-13 01:11 PM

Finding Nemo and Up are great, Fargo is a brilliant film, good start and a nice layout too :up:

Skepsis93 03-19-13 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 887979)
Well this is a somewhat disappointing list so far. Props for Breakfast Club and maybe Kickass. I've still yet to see The Straight Story, but the rest an unimpressive.

Also, even though i'm glad you're not just listing random stuff, you need to do better than putting a quote from the film underneath a random pic. Think about your list better, man. We'll respect you more for it. See myself, Brodinski, Honeykid, Pyro and mark F's lists for reference.
I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards. I'm sorry if I don't have time to write something for every movie I include. I'm sorry you seem to think this is so damned important, rather than the bit of fun it's supposed to be. You put yourself out there when you do something like this, and it's nice not to be made to feel sh*tty about it for no good reason.

I honestly have no idea where you get off with this judgmental, self-righteous crap. It's my list, I put what I want on it - if you don't like it, I really don't care. I don't "need" to do anything, much less anything anyone tells me I should do, especially in regard to something as lighthearted and ultimately trivial as this.

I neither need nor want your respect, and try to speak for yourself in that regard - lots of others seem to be enjoying my list for what it is.

You should try being a nicer person - people will respect you more for it.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 887981)
Finding Nemo and Up are great, Fargo is a brilliant film, good start and a nice layout too :up:
Thanks! :)

honeykid 03-19-13 04:31 PM

You know you're getting + rep from me for The Straight Story. But thowing in The Breakfast Club and Fargo into this set ensured it. I've only seen it once, but I liked Kinsey. I didn't think it was anything special, but considering it stars Liam Neeson, I was surprised to like it as much as I did. I still don't see Bill Condon bettering Gods & Monsters, which is a shame, but that's quite a benchmark to set. Up?!?!? *sigh* :p

JayDee 03-19-13 05:28 PM

Yeah settle it down a bit Prestige. While it would be nice had Skepsis added in a little bit of reasoning for his picks (as I did in my far superior list! :p Now there's one you should have cited as an examplePrestige) there are better ways to go about bringing it up. You could have suggested it or even asked if it was possible, instead of just ragging on him for not doing it and making it seem like he hasn't lived up to the board's standards or something.

Anyway from that last set the only one I really love is The Breakfast Club, though I did really enjoy Up. Not seen either Kinsey or Straight Story. Fargo I have watched but not for many years and was quite disappointed with it at the time. Just like Big Lebowski it's one I'll need to give another chance to someday.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 05:36 PM

Hey, if you want me to tell you why I like the movies so much, just ask. Spark a discussion. That's what these lists are for, after all.

And just by the way, I was planning on possibly doing write-ups for the top 50. We'll see.

The Prestige 03-19-13 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 887982)
I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards. I'm sorry if I don't have time to write something for every movie I include. I'm sorry you seem to think this is so damned important, rather than the bit of fun it's supposed to be. You put yourself out there when you do something like this, and it's nice not to be made to feel sh*tty about it for no good reason.

I honestly have no idea where you get off with this judgmental, self-righteous crap. It's my list, I put what I want on it - if you don't like it, I really don't care. I don't "need" to do anything, much less anything anyone tells me I should do, especially in regard to something as lighthearted and ultimately trivial as this.

I neither need nor want your respect, and try to speak for yourself in that regard - lots of others seem to be enjoying my list for what it is.

You should try being a nicer person - people will respect you more for it.

I'm not sure what prompted such a harsh response from you. I just re-read my previous message, and maybe I could have worded things better but you've taken my criticism a lot more personally than you had to.

It was not my intention to cause offence or make you feel a certain way. I guess after the effort I went through with my thread, and seeing other peoples thread, I felt that the standards had been set and that people should aspire to them when making such a list.

You seem like a nice kid, and I certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of you, but when you do a list like this, you are inviting all sorts of criticism, both good, encouraging and negative. I'm sure your list will get better, I honestly believe that. But for now, it's not too hot. That's all i'm saying.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 888051)
I'm not sure what prompted such a harsh response from you. I just re-read my previous message, and maybe I could have worded things better but you've taken my criticism a lot more personally than you had to.

It was not my intention to cause offence or make you feel a certain way. I guess after the effort I went through with my thread, and seeing other peoples thread, I felt that the standards had been set and that people should aspire to them when making such a list.
Ok. Well, obviously I don't agree that there has been a standard set that everyone should be aspiring to. Some people just want to list their movies, others will do what I'm doing and make it look decent and maybe start adding comments later, others, like you and JayDee, go to a great deal of effort and that's very much appreciated by everyone - but that doesn't mean that everyone has to do the same. Some people don't have the time, some just don't want to, and that's fine. Some people like to play sports - doesn't mean they have to strive to do it professionally.

You seem like a nice kid, and I certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of you, but when you do a list like this, you are inviting all sorts of criticism, both good, encouraging and negative. I'm sure your list will get better, I honestly believe that. But for now, it's not too hot. That's all i'm saying.
I'm a little confused here. Criticism about the movies I pick? Will my list get better if I pick "better" movies? Because I don't think that's what doing this is about. Everyone likes different stuff, and if you don't like a movie I include then that's fine, feel free to point it out as others already have, but I don't think it makes my list inherently worse. I think making one of these is about encouraging friendly discussion and making a statement in terms of what you like and don't like, imperfections and all. I welcome disagreement and argument but in the form of friendly banter, not harsh judgments.

Anyway. Sorry if I took what you said in the wrong way. I'd love to just forget about it so I can get on with my list - I've had fun putting it together and delivering it so far. I implore everyone to take notice of the final line of my introductory post. :p

More entries tomorrow guys. :)

Skepsis93 03-19-13 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 888008)
You know you're getting + rep from me for The Straight Story. But thowing in The Breakfast Club and Fargo into this set ensured it. I've only seen it once, but I liked Kinsey. I didn't think it was anything special, but considering it stars Liam Neeson, I was surprised to like it as much as I did. I still don't see Bill Condon bettering Gods & Monsters, which is a shame, but that's quite a benchmark to set. Up?!?!? *sigh* :p
Thanks! I thought Kinsey was immensely thought-provoking, in a lot of ways I definitely wouldn't have expected - its comments on the dynamic between humanity and nature and its implications, in particular, really got me thinking in a major way.

I'll have to check out Gods & Monsters. Kinsey isn't really what I would call a "directors film" but it certainly didn't do his reputation with me any harm.

Godoggo 03-19-13 08:09 PM

I'd rep you twice for Up if I could. I haven't seen Kinsey yet, but like Honeykid, I loved Gods and Monsters, so it's something I want to see.

Skepsis93 03-19-13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle947 (Post 887976)
I really want to see this list.I was planning to see Network for ages but when you gave a 4.5 in Move Tab thread I finally got myself to watch it and ended up loving it. :D I also finally watched Star Wars which,I believe, you also mentioned somewhere.So,I'll be looking forward to the list.

I'm not a huge fan of animation so Finding Nemo and Up left me emotionless. :D
I like Fargo,Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass.
Haven't seen the others but they don't look very interesting,except for Breakfast Club.
Thanks, and I'm glad you liked Network. Who knows, it might find a spot here. ;)

Guaporense 03-19-13 09:41 PM

Fargo and Kick-Ass were my two favorite movies on this list up to now.

The Rodent 03-20-13 09:02 AM

I like the list so far.

Some choices there I wouldn't have picked myself but that's the point of a personal 100. You get to choose your own... hence my own list that caused a stir when I made it :D

Which I then changed around for some more weird choices anyway, but never mind.

Keep it going Skep!

Skepsis93 03-20-13 09:05 AM

Thanks, Rodent. :) Here's the next set.

http://i.imgur.com/R9e5BQQ.jpg

90. The Artist
Michel Hazanavicius, 2011
Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo & John Goodman

"Look at what you've become. You've become proud! You've become stupid!"

http://i.imgur.com/B5MfLy5.jpg

89. Pleasantville
Gary Ross, 1998
Tobey Maguire, Jeff Daniels & Reese Witherspoon

"Well, it looks like we're going to have another sunny day - high 72, low 72, and not a cloud in the sky."

http://i.imgur.com/p7YNNcG.jpg

88. Cool Runnings
Jon Turteltaub, 1993
John Candy, Leon & Doug E. Doug

"Oh, yeah, just one little drawback to this delightful winter sport. The high-speed crash.
Ooh! That hurt. Always remember, your bones will not break in a bobsled. No, no, no. They shatter."

http://i.imgur.com/05NINNA.jpg

87. Punch-Drunk Love
Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002
Adam Sandler, Emily Watson & Philip Seymour Hoffman

"You can go to places in the world with pudding. That's funny."

http://i.imgur.com/MXW2CO3.jpg

86. Chinatown
Roman Polanski, 1974
Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway & John Huston

"Can you believe it? We're in the middle of a drought, and the water commissioner drowns. Only in LA."

Yoda 03-20-13 09:14 AM

I've deleted a few more posts from this thread. The OP's made it clear he'd just like to move on with his list; please respect that. :)

Cobpyth 03-20-13 09:20 AM

Awesome set! The Artist, Punch-Drunk-Love and Chinatown are three wonderful films! I haven't seen the other two, but Pleasantville is on my watchlist.

Skepsis93 03-20-13 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 888261)
Awesome set! The Artist, Punch-Drunk-Love and Chinatown are three wonderful films! I haven't seen the other two, but Pleasantville is on my watchlist.
Thank you! I feel like most Best Picture winners take a bit of a backlash, but I think The Artist is one of the genuinely great ones.

honeykid 03-20-13 09:57 AM

Chinatown is, of course, brilliant, and I really liked Pleasantville (one of the 90's films I recommend watching if you haven't) and Cool Runnings is... Well, it's ok. It's watchable and, therefore, you get + rep. :)

I've not seen the other two. I might end up watching The Artist some day.

donniedarko 03-20-13 09:59 AM

Chinatown is an all time favorite, could very well be my over all number 1 film eventually. The Artist is based purely off style and is grossly overrated IMo, check out Silent Movie

Skepsis93 03-20-13 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 888266)
Chinatown is, of course, brilliant, and I really liked Pleasantville (one of the 90's films I recommend watching if you haven't) and Cool Runnings is... Well, it's ok. It's watchable and, therefore, you get + rep. :)
Thanks. Cool Runnings is a childhood favorite and I still love to revisit it. It's very silly but still makes me laugh after a lot of viewings. :p

seanc 03-20-13 10:19 AM

Enjoying the list and the quotes are a nice touch, take.s me back into the movie

Miss Vicky 03-20-13 10:41 AM

Big thumbs up for Up, The Breakfast Club and Kinsey.:)

As for the most recent set, I didn't care for The Artist or Punch Drunk Love and haven't seen the others. Nice list so far though.

Skepsis93 03-20-13 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 888278)
Enjoying the list and the quotes are a nice touch, take.s me back into the movie
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 888280)
Big thumbs up for Up, The Breakfast Club and Kinsey.:)

As for the most recent set, I didn't care for The Artist or Punch Drunk Love and haven't seen the others. Nice list so far though.
Thanks guys. :)

I won't be able to put up a set tomorrow so I'm gonna do an extra one tonight, I think.

JayDee 03-20-13 10:55 AM

The Artist and Punch Drunk Love I liked without finding them to be anything really special. Loved Pleasantville, and like you Cool Runnings is a real childhood favourite. Love the film and love some of the memories it brings back. Back in the day it seemed to be one of those films that everyone watched when it was on TV, so the next day at school you'd have all the kids doing their best Jamaican accents. You haven't lived until you've heard a bunch of incredibly white Scottish kids talking in a Jamaican accent all day! :D Ya man!

Chinatown is another of those films that I just have no affection for, certainly not after its first viewing. A large part of that is likely down to Jack Nicholson's involvement.

Skepsis93 03-20-13 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 888285)
like you Cool Runnings is a real childhood favourite. Love the film and love some of the memories it brings back. Back in the day it seemed to be one of those films that everyone watched when it was on TV, so the next day at school you'd have all the kids doing their best Jamaican accents. You haven't lived until you've heard a bunch of incredibly white Scottish kids talking in a Jamaican accent all day! :D Ya man!
This. All day long. Except think Brummie kids rather than Scottish ones. And my mom. :facepalm:

The Rodent 03-20-13 11:06 AM

I had that in both places.
Lived in Scotland when it came out but then had to endure it on school summer holidays in Shropshire too.

Plus my Name is Doug... I got called Doug E Doug for about a year.

Daniel M 03-20-13 01:15 PM

There's two I've seen from that set: Chinatown which is one of my all time favourites and Cool Runnings which I haven't seen for a while but I recall was not that great, but really enjoyable fun, a good choice :D

Skepsis93 03-20-13 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 888294)
I had that in both places.
Lived in Scotland when it came out but then had to endure it on school summer holidays in Shropshire too.

Plus my Name is Doug... I got called Doug E Doug for about a year.
I wouldn't have had you pegged for a Doug, but it makes perfect sense. I'ma call you Doug E from now on. :p

Skepsis93 03-20-13 04:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/CKyQ5lz.jpg

85. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
David Yates, 2011
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson & Rupert Grint

"I never wanted any of you to die for me."

I loved the finale, unlike most of the other films, but in a way this inclusion
is more about recognizing the cultural touchstone that the whole Harry Potter franchise has become for me.

http://i.imgur.com/YAdRCGI.jpg

84. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Joel & Ethan Coen, 2000
George Clooney, John Turturro & Tim Blake Nelson

"Damn! We're in a tight spot!"

http://i.imgur.com/cr6sdo3.jpg

83. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Luis Buñuel, 1972
Fernando Rey, Delphine Seyrig & Paul Frankeur

"You're better suited for making love than for making war."

http://i.imgur.com/m98crwJ.jpg

82. Monsters, Inc.
Pete Docter, David Silverman & Lee Unkrich, 2001
John Goodman, Billy Crystal & Mary Gibbs

"Kids these days. They just don't get scared like they used to."

http://i.imgur.com/TyONrfc.jpg

81. Dead Poets Society
Peter Weir, 1989
Robin Williams, Robert Sean Leonard & Ethan Hawke

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

HitchFan97 03-20-13 04:30 PM

Nice picks, Skepsis. Chinatown is my definite fav so far, and Punch-Drunk Love and The Artist are both great choices. Seeing Monsters, Inc. with my grandpa is one of my earliest memories of going to the movies. :)

Gabrielle947 03-20-13 04:33 PM

Harry Potter and Dead Poet's Society - love them!

Skepsis93 03-20-13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 888394)
Nice picks, Skepsis. Chinatown is my definite fav so far, and Punch-Drunk Love and The Artist are both great choices. Seeing Monsters, Inc. with my grandpa is one of my earliest memories of going to the movies. :)
Thanks, man. I guess Pixar is responsible for a lot of early movie-going memories of young people. I think my first memory of the movies might be Toy Story 2. Monsters, Inc. is also special to me in that kind of way because it was the very first film we took my little sister to see at the cinema. I remember that day pretty vividly, for some reason.

honeykid 03-20-13 05:02 PM

I've not seen O' Brother... since it's release, but I liked it. Monster's Inc is fantastic and the only Pixar that I love.

wintertriangles 03-20-13 05:37 PM

Favorite bunch so far

Yoda 03-20-13 05:42 PM

Yeah, really digging some of the choices on this list. O Brother is an all-time favorite.

JayDee 03-20-13 05:50 PM

O Brother... and Monsters Inc I love. Both also on my list. Not seen Discreet Charm or Dead Poet's Society, though I've been meaning to watch the latter for a while. The Harry Potter films I'm not a huge fan of, despite the fact I have seen all of them. The first couple were fun in a kiddy kind of way, the next two I felt were definitely the best. After that though my interest waned, I just felt they became so talky and dull.

donniedarko 03-20-13 06:21 PM

:up: for O Brother, Where art Thou? and Monsters Inc. I think Dead Poets is incredibly cheesy and not at all emotionally powerful. The suicide scene was so overly dramatic. I want to see Discreet Charm

HitchFan97 03-20-13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 888430)
:up: for O Brother, Where art Thou? and Monsters Inc. I think Dead Poets is incredibly cheesy and not at all emotionally powerful. The suicide scene was so overly dramatic. I want to see Discreet Charm
I personally prefer The Exterminating Angel to Discreet Charm (they're similar), but my favorite Bunuel has to be Belle de Jour.

nebbit 03-20-13 06:57 PM

:love: the list :yup: except Happy Gilmore just can't get into it :nope:

Skepsis93 03-20-13 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 888433)
I personally prefer The Exterminating Angel to Discreet Charm (they're similar), but my favorite Bunuel has to be Belle de Jour.
Aside from Un Chien Andalou, Charm is the only Bunuel I've seen, I've been meaning to check those two and a few others out.

Thanks to all who have +repped and commented thus far. :)

HitchFan97 03-21-13 12:54 PM

^The Phantom of Liberty is pretty cool too, it kinda feels like a Monty Python flick.

Skepsis93 03-22-13 10:44 AM

http://i.imgur.com/cHW043E.jpg

80. Back to the Future Part III
Robert Zemeckis, 1990
Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd & Mary Steenburgen

"So you're my great-grandfather. The first McFly born in America. And you peed on me."

http://i.imgur.com/J7zwOZz.jpg

79. Children of Men
Alfonso Cuarón, 2006
Clive Owen, Julianne Moore & Chiwetel Ejiofor

"As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in.
Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices."

http://i.imgur.com/NSJAFgD.jpg

78. The Assassination of Jesse James
by the Coward Robert Ford

Andrew Dominik, 2007
Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck & Sam Rockwell

"Yeah, just ain't no peace with old Jesse around. You ought to pity my poor wife."

http://i.imgur.com/sB9ZmdX.jpg

77. Annie Hall
Woody Allen, 1977
Woody Allen, Diane Keaton & Tony Roberts

"A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies.
And I think what we've got on our hands is a dead shark."

http://i.imgur.com/8tBpmnq.jpg

76. North by Northwest
Alfred Hitchcock, 1959
Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint & James Mason

"Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job,
a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me,
and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed."

The Prestige 03-22-13 11:07 AM

Huge props for The Assassination Of Jesse James. Brilliant film that. Haven't seen it for awhile so may check it out at some point in the near future. I'd have it even higher on my list, which I won't redo until I hit 30.

Couldn't get into Back To The Future 3. It's my least favourite of the trilogy.

North By Northwest is another treasure.

donniedarko 03-22-13 11:52 AM

Annie Hall is the best Woody Allen film, and North by Northwest is Hitchcock's most entertaining treat. Not sure if I saw BttFIII, if I did I don't remember it as much as the first two. The other two I have wanted to see, since they placed so highly on the Millenium list.

JayDee 03-22-13 11:58 AM

Love all the Back to the Future films, and Part III is a huge amount of fun. Children of Men and Assassination... are both great films, but Annie Hall wasn't really for me. North by Northwest I have seen but not for years and years! And really don't remember all that much of it.

Skepsis93 03-22-13 12:01 PM

I think the vast majority of people would say the first BTTF is their favorite and I'm among them, but I feel like I may be in the minority when I say I prefer the third over the second. I love them all, but I especially like the radical change in setting for Part 3, really brings a new dynamic to the proceedings. I also feel like it comes close to capturing the brilliant, wacky sense of fun that the first does so well; closer than Part 2.

Or I may be wrong. How would you guys rank them?

JayDee 03-22-13 12:09 PM

I'm probably the same actually. I love all of them but the first film is miles ahead of the sequels. I've always enjoyed Part III because it's just immense fun and Mary Steenburgen is a really nice addition. I have certainly come to appreciate Part II more of the years however, appreciating how smart it proves as a link between the films. Even just little touches like Marty watching the Clint Eastwood film in part II and getting the idea for the makeshift bulletproof vest that he uses in III.

The Prestige 03-22-13 12:53 PM

It's tough. On the one hand, I agree that the big change in location is welcome, but anytime a sci-fi film combines western film tropes, I can't help but compare it to Star Wars, as unfair as that is. I prefer the 2nd over the 3rd, despite the issues it has. The first is easily the best, though.

I think most people prefer the 3rd over the 2nd, Skep. So you're not in the minority.

Daniel M 03-22-13 02:02 PM

North by Northwest is one of my very favourites, the best Hitchcock in my opinion and great entertainment.

Back to the Future Part III I remember liking but haven't seen it in ages, really want to see it again considering like you guys said is quite different from the first two and it's a bit of a Western.

All the others are films that I really, really want to see. Especially The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford which looks like something I would absolutely love.

Skepsis93 03-22-13 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 888902)
North by Northwest is one of my very favourites, the best Hitchcock in my opinion and great entertainment.

Back to the Future Part III I remember liking but haven't seen it in ages, really want to see it again considering like you guys said is quite different from the first two and it's a bit of a Western.

All the others are films that I really, really want to see. Especially The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford which looks like something I would absolutely love.
Thanks. :) NXNW isn't quite my favourite Hitch, you'll see what is later. :p It might be his most purely entertaining film, though.

Yeah, Jesse James would probably be right up your alley. Let me know what you think when you see it. :)

HitchFan97 03-22-13 04:17 PM

I'd rank North by Northwest around 7th or 8th on my list of top Hitchcock films; in other words, it's still freaking awesome. I haven't seen it in ages, though.

nebbit 03-22-13 06:34 PM

I think I am going to really like this list :yup:

Skepsis93 03-22-13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 888945)
I'd rank North by Northwest around 7th or 8th on my list of top Hitchcock films; in other words, it's still freaking awesome. I haven't seen it in ages, though.
(Spoiler Alert) 3rd for me, which gives something away. You've seen more than me though. I've seen all of his most famous stuff and one or two from the second tier but I really need to delve into his lesser-known work.

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 888993)
I think I am going to really like this list :yup:
Thanks nebs! Glad you're enjoying it. :kiss:

Sexy Celebrity 03-22-13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 888388)
http://i.imgur.com/TyONrfc.jpg

81. Dead Poets Society
Peter Weir, 1989
Robin Williams, Robert Sean Leonard & Ethan Hawke

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
I could not get into this movie the other night -- I tried watching it. I saw it once before in high school and really liked it, but it was too sllllllllllooooowwww the other night. A nice message, but not great.

Daniel M 03-22-13 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 888945)
I say it's my favourite, but I think Vertigo is slightly better from a technical perspective and Psycho is just as good too, they are my three favourites, but North by Northwest is just a whole lot more fun and I love Cary Grant in it, got it on blu-ray too unlike the other two at the moment :p

Skepsis93 03-22-13 08:19 PM

http://i.imgur.com/NVkTOhv.jpg

75. Mystic River
Clint Eastwood, 2003
Sean Penn, Tim Robbins & Kevin Bacon

"We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean."

http://i.imgur.com/ERg4Bmm.jpg

74. The Green Mile
Frank Darabont, 1999
Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan & David Morse

"I couldn't help it, boss. I tried to take it back, but it was too late."

http://i.imgur.com/qOy6IoG.jpg

73. Run Lola Run
Tom Tykwer, 1998
Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu & Herbert Knaup

"What happened to you? Did you run here?"

http://i.imgur.com/3shHlqH.jpg

72. Mulholland Drive
David Lynch, 2001
Naomi Watts, Laura Harring & Justin Theroux

"You know, there was a man that lived here once that had a prize-fighting
kangaroo. Well, you just wouldn't believe what that kangaroo did to this courtyard!"

http://i.imgur.com/XTEy4gs.jpg

71. Let the Right One In
Tomas Alfredson, 2008
Kåre Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson, & Per Ragnar

"I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time."

donniedarko 03-22-13 08:20 PM

Mystic River and Let The Right one In, are good films. Mulholland Drive is absolutely awesome though. I own Green Mile, but yet to see it. With my deep displeasure in Shawshank, I'm not sure if I'll like it.

Gabrielle947 03-22-13 08:24 PM

Enjoyed Green Mile but didn't like Let the Right One In and not a fan of Mystic River.Run Lola Run looks awesome,will watch it someday. :D

TylerDurden99 03-22-13 08:34 PM

From what I remember of it, Mystic River is one of Eastwood's better films (but not up there with his masterpieces). North By Northwest is my favourite Hitchcock, The Green Mile is an incredibly powerful film and I think Assassination Of Jesse James and Mulholland Drive are two of the best films of the noughties.

Hope to see the first two Back To The Futures as well.

JayDee 03-22-13 08:59 PM

Actually only seen one of that set, the excellent Run Lola Run. However I have all 4 of the others on DVD but yet to watch

HitchFan97 03-22-13 09:18 PM

Mulholland Drive! New favorite film on the list so far, definitely top fifteen material for me :)

honeykid 03-22-13 09:46 PM

I only like the first Back To The Future film. Didn't get on with the second and I don't think I finished the third.

I like Annie Hall, but think Manhatten's better. I've only seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford once, but thought it was beautifully shot and really good. I liked Let The Right One In, as well.

The Green Mile was ok, as was Mystic River, but that's all. Liked Run, Lola Run, too, but 'ran' out of steam towards the end.

Can't stand North by Northwest.

seanc 03-22-13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 888862)
I think the vast majority of people would say the first BTTF is their favorite and I'm among them, but I feel like I may be in the minority when I say I prefer the third over the second. I love them all, but I especially like the radical change in setting for Part 3, really brings a new dynamic to the proceedings. I also feel like it comes close to capturing the brilliant, wacky sense of fun that the first does so well; closer than Part 2.

Or I may be wrong. How would you guys rank them?
I love the first, used to like the third better than second as well. Unfortunately neither of the sequels held up for me when I re-watched them a couple of years ago.

Godoggo 03-22-13 10:14 PM

Out of the last two sets I love Let the Right One In and The Assassination of Jesse James.

Miss Vicky 03-23-13 01:26 AM

I didn't care for Mulholland Drive or Let the Right One In and have only seen bits and pieces of Mystic River. I do enjoy The Green Mile though.

Guaporense 03-23-13 01:32 AM

So far a good selection featuring some of the best recent hollywood films.

Skepsis93 03-23-13 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 889087)
I like Annie Hall, but think Manhatten's better.
I remember I found Manhattan to be a little flat, but I haven't seen it in quite a while.

Thanks all. Vicky, I know you'll love at least one from the next set. :D

Skepsis93 03-23-13 08:28 AM

http://i.imgur.com/jQjwuX1.jpg

70. Lady Vengeance
Chan-wook Park, 2005
Yeong-ae Lee, Min-sik Choi & Shi-hoo Kim

"Be White. Live White. Like this."

http://i.imgur.com/BSrVTj2.jpg

69. An American Crime
Tommy O'Haver, 2007
Catherine Keener, Ellen Page & Hayley McFarland

"Don't worry Jennie. Mamma's just teaching her."

http://i.imgur.com/kt279u6.jpg

68. Being John Malkovich
Spike Jonze, 1999
John Cusack, Cameron Diaz & John Malkovich

"You see the world through John Malkovich's eyes. Then after about 15 minutes,
you're spit out into a ditch on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike!"

http://i.imgur.com/K8unPXQ.jpg

67. Toy Story
John Lasseter, 1995
Tom Hanks, Tim Allen & Don Rickles

"How dare you open a space man's helmet on an uncharted planet?
My eyeballs could have been sucked from their sockets!"

http://i.imgur.com/P8aBrEP.jpg

66. Midnight in Paris
Woody Allen, 2011
Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams & Kathy Bates

"The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence."

Cobpyth 03-23-13 08:36 AM

Thumbs up for Midnight in Paris! It's my 3th favorite Woody film and I rated it
. It's probably on my top 10 of this milennium so far. Such a magical movie!

Skepsis93 03-23-13 08:39 AM

Good to see another fan. :up: Have you seen any of the others?

Cobpyth 03-23-13 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 889203)
Good to see another fan. :up: Have you seen any of the others?
I've seen Toy Story, which was of course enjoyable (Pixar always has a certain quality) and I own Being John Malkovich, so I'm probably watching it in the near future. I heard and read about the other two, but haven't seen them yet. They seem interesting, though.

wintertriangles 03-23-13 10:34 AM

Another Lady Vengeance fan! I should probably see Midnight in Paris...

BlueLion 03-23-13 10:40 AM

Thumbs up for Mulholland Drive and Midnight in Paris, which I consider to be masterpieces.

Skepsis93 03-23-13 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BlueLion (Post 889215)
Thumbs up for Mulholland Drive and Midnight in Paris, which I consider to be masterpieces.
Me too. I flick between Midnight in Paris and Annie Hall as my favourite Woody Allen flicks. Mulholland Drive is brilliant - perfect, really, because I so enjoy reveling in mystery, slowly peeling back layers.

Daniel M 03-23-13 11:00 AM

Of the last two sets I've seen Mystic River, Mulholland Drive and Toy Story.

Toy Story and Mystic River are great films, the latter is one of my favourite Eastwood and perhaps one of the most powerful films for me in terms of acting performances. Mulholland Drive is one of my very favourites, absolute masterpiece from Lynch :up:

Got The Green Mile on DVD to watch as well, and Midnight in Paris is always on Sky movies so I'll watch it sometime, never seen a Woody Allen film although I have Crimes and Misdemeanors recorded :)

Miss Vicky 03-23-13 11:12 AM

Huge thumbs up for Being John Malkovich!

It is such an original, bizarre and immensely entertaining movie. Anyone who hasn't seen it really needs to give it a try.

Toy Story is pretty good too.

donniedarko 03-23-13 11:22 AM

I think this might be the best set so far. Lady Vengance was good, but I still prefer Oldboy. Midnight in Paris while not better than Annie Hall, it's probably my second favorite Allen film. Being John Malkovich is one of the most entertaining movies of the 90s. Can't comment on Toy story since I haven't seen it since childhood, and I haven't seen An American Crime

JayDee 03-23-13 03:02 PM

Love Toy Story and Being John Malkovich. :up: Plan on watching Lady Vengeance quite soon actually and will get to Midnight in Paris at somepoint.

Skepsis93 03-23-13 06:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/xZjwkP0.jpg

65. Groundhog Day
Harold Ramis, 1993
Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell & Chris Elliott

"I killed myself so many times I don't even exist anymore."

http://i.imgur.com/vyYOE4P.jpg

64. Hard Candy
David Slade, 2005
Patrick Wilson & Ellen Page

"Well, 4 out of 5 doctors agree that I am actually insane."

http://i.imgur.com/crBK5yC.jpg

63. Black Dynamite
Scott Sanders, 2009
Michael Jai White, Arsenio Hall & Tommy Davidson

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification
is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!"

http://i.imgur.com/mzxA9hd.jpg

62. Psycho
Alfred Hitchcock, 1960
Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh & Vera Miles

"She might have fooled me, but she didn't fool my mother."

http://i.imgur.com/MiogHJH.jpg

61. El laberinto del fauno / Pan's Labyrinth
Guillermo del Toro, 2006
Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil & Sergi López

"I've had so many names. Old names that only the wind and the trees can pronounce. I am the mountain,
the forest and the earth. I am... I am a faun. Your most humble servant, Your Highness."

Proximity 03-23-13 06:54 PM

Why is Lady Vengeance better than the other two films in the Vengeance Trilogy? I'm just assuming the others won't pop up beyond this point so if they do, forget me asking this.

wintertriangles 03-23-13 07:04 PM

I'm happy you like Hard Candy that much. Is there anything on that one you could clarify for choosing?