Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone think Best Picture was Staged? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48368)

matt72582 02-27-17 11:57 AM

Anyone think Best Picture was Staged?

Every year, they put some phony baloney (oscarstoowhite?) to people can talk about it, to get people watching. I can't be sure, but I think it was staged.

Yoda 02-27-17 11:59 AM

Re: Anyone think Best Picture was Staged?

Nah.

If it was for ratings, why do it at the very end, just minutes before it goes off the air? If it's for ratings for next year, well, I don't think anyone will much remember it then, and if anything, you'd think a mistake would be way less likely to happen now, since they'll be particularly careful.

Camo 02-27-17 11:59 AM

No, you are the first person to come up with this idea.

Swan 02-27-17 11:59 AM

I definitely think last year Jada Plinkett Smith was in cahoots with the Academy and Barry Jenkins (as well as JFK, Bigfoot and the aliens of course) to do that #Oscarssowhite BS so they could get Moonlight made and push their agendas of... making movies and stuff.

Just teasing.

matt72582 02-27-17 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1657631)
No, you are the first person to come up with this idea.
No, I'm not. Believe whatever you want.

Camo 02-27-17 12:04 PM

hahaha. Was just joking man, this exact discussion was happening in the Best Picture thread so i found it funny that you opened a new thread for it.

Swan 02-27-17 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1657646)
No, I'm not. Believe whatever you want.
We are just teasing the people who think it was staged. No harm meant towards you. :D

rauldc14 02-27-17 12:05 PM

It wasn't staged.

However, if we are to believe that Moonlight wasn't shoved down the throats of the voters, then we are mistaken.

I guess it's kind of interesting that in the same year Trump was the winner of the election, that Moonlight wins.

We just don't know how to vote anymore :laugh:

Camo 02-27-17 12:06 PM

Hope it was shoved down the throats of the voters. People need guidance and it resulted in the better decision :cool:

Camo 02-27-17 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1657649)

I guess it's kind of interesting that in the same year Trump was the winner of the election, that Moonlight wins.
Also no it wasn't :D

Swan 02-27-17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1657649)
It wasn't staged.

However, if we are to believe that Moonlight wasn't shoved down the throats of the voters, then we are mistaken.

We just don't know how to vote anymore :laugh:
You haven't seen it bro. Moonlight is a great film that deserves recognition.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:08 PM

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised - and kinda hoping for a troll conspiracy story because it's much more interesting than 'we made a mistake'

Slam 02-27-17 12:14 PM

Everything is a conspiracy.

Yoda 02-27-17 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Slam (Post 1657666)
That's what they want you to think.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:14 PM

Yoda's pizza and Leslie got together and rigged it.

matt72582 02-27-17 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1657651)
Hope it was shoved down the throats of the voters. People need guidance and it resulted in the better decision :cool:
That sounds elitist...

I can't believe "I, Daniel Blake" wasn't even nominated. I'm guessing it's probably the best movie of 2016.

matt72582 02-27-17 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Slam (Post 1657666)
Na, most things might pretend, but it's become a business of it's own (Alex Jones) -- the more crazier the story, the more survival kits he sells.

If Vietnam (Gulf of Tonkin lie) and Iraq could be "mistakes" then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility to pull a little stunt so people can talk about it. The Oscars haven't been as relevant, and it's business..

Swan 02-27-17 12:19 PM

Camo is definitely an elitist. :beatty:

Camo 02-27-17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1657675)
That sounds elitist...

I can't believe "I, Daniel Blake" wasn't even nominated. I'm guessing it's probably the best movie of 2016.
Get jokes please. Jesus.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:19 PM

If Price Waterhouse still have the job next year I'll be nodding and saying - Yup...set up.

Slam 02-27-17 12:21 PM

Intercepted text log:

Warren Beatty - But....but I can't!

Leslie - Meow.

Warren Beatty - It's wrong! It'll cause chaos!

Leslie - Meow!

Warren Beatty - Okay, okay, you win. But if I do this, you'll destroy the photos?

Leslie - Meow...

Warren Beatty - You're a monster.

Yoda 02-27-17 12:35 PM

We now have Oscar Fan Fiction based on a YouTube video one of our members posted.

MoFo is in fine form this morning.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:37 PM

Where is that, Yods?

Yoda 02-27-17 12:37 PM

I was referring to the post above.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:39 PM

Ha. When I first saw that I mde the mistake of taking a sip of tea. Went down the wrong way. That little bitch of a cat. She also got the pizza you were saving for me.

Citizen Rules 02-27-17 12:40 PM

I had no idea that there was a much-to-do about last night Oscars, until I read about it here at MoFo:p

I just posted this on the Shoutbox....

I don't buy most conspiracy theories. Happenstance is what happens, more often than not and then people connect the dots in an erroneous way. Yea that was just a fluke.

Yoda 02-27-17 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1657717)
Ha. When I first saw that I mde the mistake of taking a sip of tea. Went down the wrong way. That little bitch of a cat. She also got the pizza you were saving for me.
I actually have, like, an entire leftover pizza. I brought some into work to get people to help me eat it...and they have leftover pizza, too.

Too much pizza. A sentence that by all rights should never exist.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:42 PM

Needs a photo in the mouthgasm thread.

gandalf26 02-27-17 12:43 PM

No

matt72582 02-27-17 12:46 PM

There are a hundred thousand trending twitters, one even called "envelopegate" --- everything has to have a "gate" at the end.. Every click brings money.

Dani8 02-27-17 12:49 PM

I like oscargate better. And my next announcement - LeslieTheCatGate.

OdumC 02-27-17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1657683)
If Price Waterhouse still have the job next year I'll be nodding and saying - Yup...set up.
I doubt they let the firm go that's been handling the Oscars for decades over one screw up.

On top of having to find a new firm to do it that would have to create a whole new system from scratch and plus, once people screw up, they have a tendancy to be more careful. next years should probably be the safest they'll ever have.

Do I think it was staged? Ummmm no.

Do I think it's hilarious people are grabbing for their tin foil hats screaming Illumnati?

Hell yes.

It was a simple screw up that was fixed maybe a minute after it happened. Nobody gained anything, The Oscars ended up with quite a bit of egg on their face and I just don't see them humiliating themselves for a stunt.

Dani8 02-27-17 01:24 PM

Oh C'mon, my friend, this is the only time I'm ever going to run with a tinfoil hat. It;s fun.

But I think you're right, you party pooper.:beatty:

I'm loving that new smilie.

Upton 02-27-17 01:29 PM

Like others have said, if it wasn't staged, pretty impressive that the orchestra is ready to bang out any of the nominated films' scores at a moment's notice

Blix the Goblin 02-27-17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1657623)
Every year, they put some phony baloney (oscarstoowhite?) to people can talk about it, to get people watching. I can't be sure, but I think it was staged.
I don't know about staged, but the Oscars are crap and they've been crap for decades. A bunch of rich imbeciles patting each other on the back for making "important" movies about the everyman's struggle in the cruel cruel world, while pretending these movies aren't derivative tripe that we've already seen a thousand times before. Oscarbait films are almost always disingenuous garbage that everyone forgets about in 3-4 years.

I do think the voters felt pressured to vote for films with/about African-Americans after the "controversy" last year, absolutely. It has even further tainted what is already an empty, bankrupt awards show.

Dani8 02-27-17 01:33 PM

You have a way with words, Blix. That was a good read.�� supposed to be a thumbs up.

Thursday Next 02-27-17 01:34 PM

When it comes down to it, what is more likely - a elaborate conspiracy, or a simple cock-up?

Tugg 02-27-17 01:39 PM

I think Oscars have proceeded to move in the right direction compared to previous years. Period dramas should give way to more diverse genres and styles.

Slam 02-27-17 01:57 PM

Can't wait to see the envelopegate movie. I vote Jim Carey plays Beatty and Maru plays Leslie. Of course, god knows what'll happen to my votes.

gandalf26 02-27-17 01:59 PM

I lolled at "envelopegate".

Citizen Rules 02-27-17 02:01 PM

The Oscars were rigged, because Blake Lively didn't win a single Oscar:cool:

Slam 02-27-17 02:04 PM

Who?

Yoda 02-27-17 02:04 PM

Was really miffed they completely forgot to present the award for Best Movie Ever Made.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-03-2015/tWqZez.gif

OdumC 02-27-17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Upton (Post 1657758)
Like others have said, if it wasn't staged, pretty impressive that the orchestra is ready to bang out any of the nominated films' scores at a moment's notice
Not really, If everyone already knew what was winning what, there'd be leaks aplenty.

I think it's just a matter of them rehearsing what they might need to play, the winners called, the music pops up on screen for them.

Same with the announcer people were calling foul on because they were ready with all the technical credit on the wrong film. they probably had stats for all nom's and when the winner is called, just go to that films stats.

the Oscar results stay pretty secure because they don't just hand out the results to everyone involved. again, leaks aplenty.

Dani8 02-27-17 02:10 PM

I cant remember where I read this but I thought only those two people from price waterhouse knew the winners?

mark f 02-27-17 04:28 PM

If the Oscars ran as they normally do and rushed through the ending because they're behind schedule, Leslie's plan would have worked perfectly. The show would have ended and gone to commercial and/or another show before anyone knew what happened. Unfortunately, they were so far behind schedule, they just allowed them to keep talking and then the jig was up!. Missed it by that much..

Holden Pike 02-27-17 04:42 PM

Anyone think Best Picture was Staged?
It's almost too dumb a question to dignify it with a response, but for the record no.

Dani8 02-27-17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1657910)
If the Oscars ran as they normally do and rushed through the ending because they're behind schedule, Leslie's plan would have worked perfectly. The show would have ended and gone to commercial and/or another show before anyone knew what happened. Unfortunately, they were so far behind schedule, they just allowed them to keep talking and then the jig was up!. Missed it by that much..
I'm inlove with that cattygate!

Movie Max 02-27-17 04:57 PM

The artsy elite, with a ton of experience in putting on this same, stale, old show, made more UH-OHs in one event, than I've seen at any single inauguration, football game or UFC event.

Kimmel's jokes were pretty fair. I especially liked the references to all the movies no one had seen.

Seemed like they just gave out awards to compensate for their ingrained racial exclusion. Last I remember, they pacified the same existing situation with Denzel's and Halle's Oscars.

Movie Max 02-27-17 05:07 PM

:homealone:

See the Entire History of the Oscars Diversity Problem in One Chart

http://labs.time.com/story/oscars-diversity/

The Gunslinger45 02-27-17 05:13 PM

It was not staged. It was hacked by the Russians and aliens in an interplanetary Communist conspiracy.

OdumC 02-27-17 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1657952)
It was not staged. It was hacked by the Russians and aliens in an interplanetary Communist conspiracy.
You cracked it!!

The Gunslinger45 02-27-17 05:29 PM

Lol! I think a picture of General Ripper from Dr Strangelove would be more appropriate but thank you!

Gideon58 02-27-17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1657792)
The Oscars were rigged, because Blake Lively didn't win a single Oscar:cool:

Blake Lively,,,you're obsessed dude.

Cobpyth 02-27-17 05:42 PM

I think Hollywood got shamed into voting Moonlight.

Every single Hollywood newspaper site that I came across during the last few weeks was framing La La Land as the typical self-absorbed film that was "made by Hollywood about Hollywood and for Hollywood", while Moonlight was constantly put forward as the better and more "moral" choice of the two.

Maybe they were right. I haven't seen Moonlight yet, but will soon. I'm indifferent to what happened, but I think the framing of the last few weeks was crucial for this upset.

Dani8 02-27-17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1657970)
Blake Lively,,,you're obsessed dude.
She looked great being hunted down by an angry hungry shark in The Swallows but you know there is something wrong when an actor gets out acted by a seagull.

7thson 02-27-17 05:58 PM

I know it was a big deal to everyone directly involved, but as a fan of movies and the Oscars it was not that big of a deal to me. I mean certainly it was a surprise, but so was Moonlight winning. Mistakes happen, we are all human. Sure someone(s) will pay or lose a job or whatever reprimand they come up with, but as far as being staged I seriously doubt it for many reasons.

Siddon 02-27-17 06:00 PM

Don't forget they also had a woman on the In Memorium tribute that wasn't actually dead.

I would say the president should be fired for this (along with the crap ratings) but she's well um...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...93_634x430.jpg

Yoda 02-27-17 06:02 PM

Who would fire her? Isn't she in charge? How's the procedure for replacing an Academy President even work?

All questions that should probably have answers before we go suggesting that she has her job because she's a minority, if that was indeed the implication.

Dani8 02-27-17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 1658003)
I know it was a big deal to everyone directly involved, but as a fan of movies and the Oscars it was not that big of a deal to me. I mean certainly it was a surprise, but so was Moonlight winning. Mistakes happen, we are all human. Sure someone(s) will pay or lose a job or whatever reprimand they come up with, but as far as being staged I seriously doubt it for many reasons.
The guy from PW stuffed up. He was multi tasking by the looks and having more fun on twitter than doing the job at hand. Should he lose his job? Not up to me but I think there'll be some seriously cranky people around him today.

I'd rather talk about building a bunker in the back yard and eating a pizza in an underground kill room...

Movie Max 02-27-17 06:05 PM

My previous experience of watching movies and the Academy Awards, has left me under the impression that the show is always staged. There just happened to be more mistakes in this particular staged event, than in any of the earlier ones I remember.

Siddon 02-27-17 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1658009)
Who would fire her? Isn't she in charge? How's the procedure for replacing an Academy President even work?

All questions that should probably have answers before we go suggesting that she has her job because she's a minority, if that was indeed the implication.
They have a board of govenors that make these decisions, though it seems like your pivoting...the issue is should she lose her job even though she's a minority.

Yoda 02-27-17 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1658140)
They have a board of govenors that make these decisions, though it seems like your pivoting...
Not at all; you made two points. First, that she should be fired, and second, that if she isn't, it's because she's a minority. I replied to the second.

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1658140)
the issue is should she lose her job even though she's a minority.
For using the exact same organization that's handled this for 83 years?

Dexter007 02-27-17 08:53 PM

The answer to this thread: NO

Sexy Celebrity 02-27-17 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1657623)
I know it's cool and hip and trendy to act like it wasn't staged, that there's NEVER a conspiracy happening ANYWHERE...... (or else people will think you wear a tin foil hat) ...... but.........

You know this whole thing was staged.

I mean, they were trying to copy the Steve Harvey thing.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1488243435

Copying Steve Harvey is another way the Oscars could include the African-American element into the whole show! They were very thorough this year with their show planning.

PeterGriffinIsBoss 02-27-17 08:59 PM

In my opinion this stunt was obviously staged. They just want people to watch it. Very sad that the Oscars are resorting to this level, like Gru in Despicable Me 2.

Siddon 02-27-17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1658147)
Not at all; you made two points. First, that she should be fired, and second, that if she isn't, it's because she's a minority. I replied to the second.

For using the exact same organization that's handled this for 83 years?
1....you mean 89 years
2... they've had 34 other presidents in 89 years so it's not like this is a job for life
3... "should" she be fired for the massive mistakes that were made in this production
4...did they screw up a winner and a dead person during any other broadcasts? They had a streaker once but this ceremony did have arguably the two biggest mistakes in the shows history.

OdumC 02-27-17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1658154)
1....you mean 89 years
2... they've had 34 other presidents in 89 years so it's not like this is a job for life
3... "should" she be fired for the massive mistakes that were made in this production
4...did they screw up a winner and a dead person during any other broadcasts? They had a streaker once but this ceremony did have arguably the two biggest mistakes in the shows history.
President of the academy doesn't mean she plans every little detail or is responsible because someone was tweeting pics when they should have been concentrating on their job.

So no, she does the firing, she shouldn't be fired for someone elses human error.

Yoda 02-27-17 09:23 PM

1....you mean 89 years
I do not. The Oscars have been going for 89 years; Price Waterhouse has handled the envelopes for 83 of them.

This doesn't have anything to do with whether she should be fired.

The issue is whether either mistake was foreseeable or preventable by her, specifically. I'm going to assume we're all reasonable enough to agree that she can't be expected to guess that PwC was suddenly, randomly going to flub their core duty after all this time. And I can't imagine personally verifying all the photos in the In Memoriam tribute is an efficient use of the Academy President's time, either.

I'm not really sure why people reflexively expect whoever's in charge to get canned for mistakes just because they were in charge. But I think it often happens to alleviate political pressure, and not because the person is actually incompetent.

Anyway, my objection was just with the assumption that, if she isn't fired, it's because of her demographic attributes. I think accusations like that should have pretty firm evidence, and in this case I don't think there's much either way.

Captain Steel 02-27-17 09:50 PM

Should Warren Beatty have turned to the judges to confirm when he saw "Emma Stone" on the card (since the Best Picture would not have had an actor's name in front of it)?

Dani8 02-27-17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1658180)
Should Warren Beatty have turned to the judges to confirm when he saw "Emma Stone" on the card (since the Best Picture would not have had an actor's name in front of it)?

He's 80 years old, Cp. Poor guy hd no idea what was going on but he clearly new it was a mistake.

Captain Steel 02-27-17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1658182)
He's 80 years old, Cp. Poor guy hd no idea what was going on but he clearly new it was a mistake.
Yeah, it's obvious he knew something was wrong, I'm just wondering if he could've just beckoned to someone to confirm it before having Faye read what was on the card. (Or... was he showing it to Faye kind of like to say, "Hey what do you make of this?" to her to get her opinion on what it said, but then she read it outloud?)

NedStark09 02-27-17 10:04 PM

Isnt Vince McMahon A Producer for the Oscars. This sounds like a wwe bad story plot where
We'd get a brawl on stage.

Dexter007 02-27-17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1658187)
Yeah, it's obvious he knew something was wrong, I'm just wondering if he could've just beckoned to someone to confirm it before having Faye read what was on the card. (Or... was he showing it to Faye kind of like to say, "Hey what do you make of this?" to her to get her opinion on what it said, but then she read it outloud?)
He could've, and he should've. But, it's not a big deal. Movie's are still great either way.

OdumC 02-27-17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1658187)
I think it's the latter, he said in his explanation that he saw it said "Emma Stone Best Actress" and when he was hesitating Dunaway said "Warren you're terrible" thinking he was stalling announcing it then he handed her the card and she just read it...

I guess confusion set in because as soon as he saw that he should have thought "Wrong envelope... need the right one..." not "Stare at it repeatedly and hope it magically turns into the right one"

d_chatterley 02-27-17 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1658182)
At least he recognized that. Poor Faye just blurted the movie out. She cannot seem to get away from scandal being associated with her, can she?

Ps. Not sure if it has been posted (probably) but just in case, this guy is apparently to blame.

Dexter007 02-27-17 10:09 PM

So, are movies cancelled now? No? Ok then. Let's get back to work!

sarah f 02-27-17 10:10 PM

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...ocial_facebook

Dani8 02-27-17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1658193)

Ps. Not sure if it has been posted (probably) but just in case, this guy is apparently to blame.

Yeah, he's an idiot. Too busy tweeting to do his job.

Dexter007 02-27-17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sarah f (Post 1658199)
Oh, come on! Really? This writer can blow it out his @ss.

mark f 02-27-17 10:51 PM

You need to watch World on a Wire :cool:

jiraffejustin 02-27-17 10:59 PM

Chem trails!

Black helicopters!

9/11 = Sandy Hook = Government!

Russian hacking!

Moon landing = Kubrick!

JFK!

Moonlight!

It probably wasn't staged, but I am not against the idea of it being staged. The idea that it's preposterous for something like this to be staged is a bit preposterous, because sometimes things are done in a specific way on purpose even when they are not supposed to look like they are done that way on purpose. We love to sh*t on people who aren't comfortable believing everything the way it's presented.

Iroquois 02-27-17 11:02 PM

The real conspiracy theory is whether or not this was done to deliberately undermine Moonlight's victory by drawing attention to the envelope gaffe instead of the fact that a relatively unconventional film had been chosen over the obvious crowd-pleaser.

jiraffejustin 02-27-17 11:05 PM

Yeah, dude. Everything is a social injustice.

Iroquois 02-27-17 11:10 PM

Not everything, but not nothing either.

jiraffejustin 02-27-17 11:15 PM

Not not nothing, but every everything too.

The Gunslinger45 02-27-17 11:20 PM

Everyone relax their sphincters. We will laugh our heads off about this after a year, there will be a joke about it in the next Academy show.

d_chatterley 02-27-17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter007 (Post 1658196)
So, are movies cancelled now? No? Ok then. Let's get back to work!
According to La La Land fans, life on earth is over as we know it. :D

Dexter007 02-27-17 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1658240)
:jules:

I am a La La Land fan.

d_chatterley 02-27-17 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter007 (Post 1658243)
:jules:

I am a La La Land fan.
Wait...how come your response to this debacle is so even-tempered and sensical?

Sexy Celebrity 02-27-17 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1658235)
Everyone relax their sphincters.
Yes, Master. :damon:

The Gunslinger45 02-27-17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1658252)
The Matt Damon derp face just makes it so much funnier!

Dexter007 02-27-17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1658250)
Wait...how come your response to this debacle is so even-tempered and sensical?
Because I understand the importance of Moonlight winning, that awards shows aren't a universal barometer for what's a "great movie", that my love for a movie doesn't hinge on Best Picture, and that cinema is an art that is at its best when it's diverse, open-minded, and different.

Dexter007 02-28-17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1658252)
:willem:

rauldc14 02-28-17 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1658240)
I wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly a disappointment.

rauldc14 02-28-17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1658227)
The real conspiracy theory is whether or not this was done to deliberately undermine Moonlight's victory by drawing attention to the envelope gaffe instead of the fact that a relatively unconventional film had been chosen over the obvious crowd-pleaser.
Oh please. This is the least likely scenario. Now we are trying to turn Moonlight into a victim?

Dexter007 02-28-17 12:19 AM

What if it was just an accident, and Moonlight won fair and square?

Iroquois 02-28-17 12:22 AM

Relax, bud, it's a conspiracy theory. Nothing more than an attempt to project a semblance of logic and order onto the chaos of everyday life.

That being said, consider how your immediate reaction to the news that it had won was to boycott Moonlight sight unseen and wonder why that would be so.

Dexter007 02-28-17 12:39 AM

:napoleon:

Gideon58 03-01-17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1657982)
I think Hollywood got shamed into voting Moonlight.

Every single Hollywood newspaper site that I came across during the last few weeks was framing La La Land as the typical self-absorbed film that was "made by Hollywood about Hollywood and for Hollywood", while Moonlight was constantly put forward as the better and more "moral" choice of the two.

Maybe they were right. I haven't seen Moonlight yet, but will soon. I'm indifferent to what happened, but I think the framing of the last few weeks was crucial for this upset.

I absolutely loved Moonlight, but didn't imagine it winning Best Picture in a million years.