Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2023 Film Challenge (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67402)

Jabs 01-01-23 05:27 AM

2023 Film Challenge

Welcome everyone!

The 6th annual film challenge is here with old favorites returning and some new challenges set forth to shape your cinematic year. As always do let me know if any clarifications are necessary or if you see any mistakes.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2023, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

Relevant Lists
Below you will find some examples & ideas for certain categories.

Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project  

Previously featured Cinematic Waves  

Participant Recommendations  

Jabs 01-01-23 05:27 AM

Re: 2023 Film Challenge

Will be putting my updates below:

Main Challenge: Completed  

Nightmare Mode: Completed  

Leftovers: 47  

Siddon 01-01-23 05:58 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carpenter

not dead

Iroquois 01-01-23 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2358068)
Of course he's dead, why else hasn't he made anything since 2010?

Seriously though, Hanna Schygulla is also not dead.

Jabs 01-01-23 07:01 AM

I do have a history of killing off people in the challenge. Both fixed. Thank you.

Iroquois 01-01-23 07:05 AM

Thanks, Jabs. However, I'd double-check all of them just to be sure because I just noticed that Vittorio Storaro is still alive as well.

Jabs 01-01-23 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2358076)
Thanks, Jabs. However, I'd double-check all of them just to be sure because I just noticed that Vittorio Storaro is still alive as well.

I suddenly have the impression that there is a good chance that I intended to change the category's description from deceased to something similar to legends and never got around to it.

Iroquois 01-01-23 10:07 AM

Here we go:

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

kgaard 01-01-23 10:42 AM

I'm here for this.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 01-01-23 12:48 PM

Saved. Will start choosing my categories throughout the next hour.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

RMNT 01-01-23 12:51 PM

My future updates:

Main Challenge [23/52]  

Nightmare Mode [45/110]  

Jabs 01-01-23 01:02 PM

@Iroquois I just want to clarify that Breaking the Waves can include as many different cinematic waves as you want, provided they belong to the ones we have covered throughout the years. You don't have to do all 10 from the same one.

Iroquois 01-01-23 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2358141)
@Iroquois I just want to clarify that Breaking the Waves can include as many different cinematic waves as you want, provided they belong to the ones we have covered throughout the years. You don't have to do all 10 from the same one.
Good to know. I think picking one movement helps to focus things a bit, but I'll use others if I need to.

Wyldesyde19 01-01-23 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2358141)
I assumed the same as Iro. But I prefer your ida, as I was torn between Indian Parallell, Japanese New Wave and French New Wave.

Now I can mix and match. 😎

Jabs 01-01-23 01:24 PM

There's a couple of reasons for this. The first is clearly accessibility, as finding 10 films of a certain wave that you haven't seen might prove to be harder than expected. The second is that this should be treated as a last hoorah for cinematic waves, as we will be giving them a break after this year. It has been getting progressively harder to find new ones with enough prominence to justify covering them so it's either mostly repeats or give them a short break for a year or two.

Edit: Unless you guys have in mind 5-6 cinematic waves we haven't covered yet that fit the bill, in which case feel free to DM me.

Iroquois 01-01-23 01:37 PM

Some suggestions for films to use:

Naked Lunch
The Last Emperor
Angel Heart
An Elephant Sitting Still
Who Killed Captain Alex
The Children of Paradise
The Sacrifice
Old Joy
Touki Bouki
The Proposition

Alternatively, you can just pick something off my Top 100.

Wyldesyde19 01-01-23 01:49 PM

My Recommendations:

The Thief (1997)
The Ox (1991)
La Leon (2007)
Witchhammer (1970)
The Whisperers (1967)
Dust in the Wind (1986)
In the Earth (2020)
The Molly Maguires (1970)
Zero Effect (1998)

Wyldesyde19 01-01-23 01:55 PM

I’ll have to take a closer look at some of the countries to see both what I haven’t seen anything from, and also what is available from those countries.

For instance, I’m having a hard time thinking of a single movie from Finland that I’ve seen and I find that odd. Somehow sipped through the cracks, but it’s a perfect time to crack into Kaurismaki’s films.

edarsenal 01-01-23 03:56 PM

I am very much in this. I'll get my list up with a few second chances from last year's that I never broke into, like One Country/One Actor/ One MoFo List, and I quite like the new Hallmost list along with - hell, everything. GREAT job, @Jabs!!

For now, here is a list of Recommendations from previous Challenges with IMDb links:
Rome, Open City aka Roma città aperta (1945)
La Vérité (1960)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
The Servant (1963)
Badlands (1973)
The Cranes Are Flying aka Letyat zhuravli (1957)
You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)
Dead End (1937)
Army of Shadows aka L'armée des ombres (1969)
A Monkey in Winter aka Un singe en hiver (1962)
Band of Outsiders aka Bande à part (1964)
The King and the Clown aka Wang-ui namja (2005)
In This Corner of the World (2016) (Animation)
Hôtel du Nord (1935)
Classe tous risques (1960)
Children of Paradise aka Les enfants du paradis (1945)

Siddon 01-01-23 04:02 PM

saved for later

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

edarsenal 01-01-23 04:39 PM

Watchlist
Watched

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Gonna Hold onto these:

Relevant Lists

Siddon 01-02-23 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2358150)
Edit: Unless you guys have in mind 5-6 cinematic waves we haven't covered yet that fit the bill, in which case feel free to DM me.

Well I think you should take a break from all the international films seems like 40-50% of the list every year.

New French Extremism
Slasher film movement
Italian Giallo's
Universal Monster Movies
Hammer Studios
Atomic Age Monsters

Jabs 01-02-23 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2358278)
Well I think you should take a break from all the international films seems like 40-50% of the list every year.
This year is a tad more country focused as there is an extra nightmare mode challenge about this. Still it barely cracks 30% and that's counting cinematic waves and the communism section as country-specific which arguably are more complex and have to do with sociopolitical reasons rather than just a nation.

Are you arguing for a more US-centric challenge or just other themes and categories to be explored?

Siddon 01-02-23 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2358287)
This year is a tad more country focused as there is an extra nightmare mode challenge about this. Still it barely cracks 30% and that's counting cinematic waves and the communism section as country-specific which arguably are more complex and have to do with sociopolitical reasons rather than just a nation.

Are you arguing for a more US-centric challenge or just other themes and categories to be explored?

A. Get lost in the movement
[Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements]
  1. 1. New German Cinema
  2. 2. Japanese New Wave
  3. 3. Cinema du look
  4. 6. Iranian New Wave

B. Behind the Iron Curtain
[Watch a film from each of the following countries while they were under communist rule]
  1. 1. Soviet Union (1922-1991)
  2. 2. Poland (1947-1989)
  3. 3. Yugoslavia (1945-1992)
  4. 4. Czechoslovakia (1948-1989)
  5. 5. China (1949-present)

D. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards]
  1. 1. Cannes Film Festival
  2. 4. Berlin International Film Festival
  3. 5. Locarno Film Festival

E. I have always depended on the lists of strangers:
[Watch one film featured in each of the following prominent lists]
  1. 3. 100 Italian Movies Restored
  2. 5. Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project

F. I see dead people:

[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors and cinematographers]

1. 2. Alain Resnais, Wolfgang Petersen, Sergei Eisenstein, Manoel de Oliveira

H. Country roads take me home
[Pick one of the following country groups and watch 5 films from its members, without repetitions]
  1. 1. Mediterranean (Albania, Egypt, France, Israel, Italy, Greece, Lebanon, Malta, Morocco, Turkey)
  2. 2. Former French Colonies (Algeria, Cambodia, Canada, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Palestine, Senegal, Tunisia, Vietnam)
  3. 3. Spanish speaking countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, Spain)
  4. 4. WWI Allies (Belgium, Brazil, Japan, Montenegro, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Thailand, United Kingdom)
  5. 5. Antarctic Treaty Parties (Australia, China, India, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa, Sweden, Uruguay)
You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?
watch 10 foreign language films

All the places you’ll go
watch 10 films, each from a different country that you’ve never watched a film from before

So this challenge has about 40 foreign language films at the start but that number can inflate to 80-120 based on the other categories. You might be okay watching all of those foreign language films during the year. When you ask for 10 different countries...I don't know if there are 10 different countries with films I haven't seen or that I would want to see.

It's also very much the same thing every year

Wyldesyde19 01-02-23 03:17 AM

Many of those Mentioned by Siddon are not really film movements, but rather genres.

If you want suggestions for other movements, there’s Czechoslovakia New Wave, Taiwanese New Wave, Romanian New Wave, Greek Weird Wave, Kazakhstan New Wave, Soviet New Wave, New Mexican Cinema, South Korean Nee Wave, Chinese fifth generation and Chinese Sixth Generation, although those latter two are debatable I think?

I have no issue with taking a break from the movements, as even those I supplied are mostly small, with a few exceptions.

I also have no issue with the amount of foreign films.

Jabs 01-02-23 03:54 AM

@Siddon even using your math, that is 40/162 films which is less than a quarter. I do not want to get bogged down in specifics though.

I would just like to submit for consideration that it is not as easy (at least for me) to find year after year challenges that can apply to both US cinema and World cinema (if that is the categorization you wish to go with), and when I do it tends to take the more general form of '10 films from the same director/actor etc' which can be vastly different each year and per participant and would also invite comments in the vein of 'it's very much the same thing every year'. In general the idea is not to change the whole challenge each year, but to rotate in and out the more general categories and sprinkle in more specific categories as one-offs with each iteration.

Additionally, the purpose of the challenge is to step out of your comfort zone and experiment with films, genres, ideas that you ordinarily wouldn't. And finally, the nature of the challenge is purely voluntary; if you wish to skip a whole category because you have no interest in it, that is also perfectly fine and completely up to you.

That said, I happen to have searched quite a bit into world cinema so I can be of assistance to anyone that wishes to find good films from countries that are not traditionally producing cinema. I can even provide sources to watch them on occasion.

Wyldesyde19 01-02-23 04:10 AM

The challenges are fine. I’m quite happy with them, in fact. Spent the day looking up films that would fit into the categories.

Siddon 01-02-23 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2358294)
@Siddon even using your math, that is 40/162 films which is less than a quarter. I do not want to get bogged down in specifics though.

I would just like to submit for consideration that it is not as easy (at least for me) to find year after year challenges that can apply to both US cinema and World cinema (if that is the categorization you wish to go with), and when I do it tends to take the more general form of '10 films from the same director/actor etc' which can be vastly different each year and per participant and would also invite comments in the vein of 'it's very much the same thing every year'. In general the idea is not to change the whole challenge each year, but to rotate in and out the more general categories and sprinkle in more specific categories as one-offs with each iteration.

Additionally, the purpose of the challenge is to step out of your comfort zone and experiment with films, genres, ideas that you ordinarily wouldn't. And finally, the nature of the challenge is purely voluntary; if you wish to skip a whole category because you have no interest in it, that is also perfectly fine and completely up to you.

That said, I happen to have searched quite a bit into world cinema so I can be of assistance to anyone that wishes to find good films from countries that are not traditionally producing cinema. I can even provide sources to watch them on occasion.
How many foreign do you think are readily available? Hulu has 30, TCM has 100 but how many of those 100 have I already seen or could fit your criteria. Most films from non-traditional countries are bad borderline unwatchable....which I know because I watch them Also don't even know if I have 10 countries that I haven't seen.

I understand that it's hard...but when I do the horror challenge I don't just follow the same format year after year after year. I saw your one from every country tread let that be it's own thing.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=57721

Wyldesyde19 01-02-23 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2358298)
How many foreign do you think are readily available? Hulu has 30, TCM has 100 but how many of those 100 have I already seen or could fit your criteria. Most films from non-traditional countries are bad borderline unwatchable....which I know because I watch them Also don't even know if I have 10 countries that I haven't seen.

I understand that it's hard...but when I do the horror challenge I don't just follow the same format year after year after year. I saw your one from every country tread let that be it's own thing.

I can see how this might be a problem for you, since you’ve undoubtedly seen more films than most, but keep in mind that Jabs isn’t making this only with you in mind. The are plenty of us who still have a lot to cover in terms of world cinema. That’s why he chooses the categories, even if they are largely the same each year. And even then, who cares?

Let the guy make the challenge as he sees fit.

Jabs 01-02-23 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2358298)

Foreign is a subjective term and by no means a narrow one. You may be hard-pressed to find more than 130 films in the 2 American streaming services you subscribe to, but that is definitely not a small number nor should the whole challenge revolve around a couple of streaming services and what they happen to offer.

As for your comment regarding 'non-traditional' countries when it comes to film production, I find it an over-simplification. I can compile a short list if you like for inspiration. I have personally been attempting the challenge you linked for years and still have so many options available to me that finding 10 is a mere drop in the ocean.

I have been trying to understand your position but this is starting to sound more and more like "I am American and I don't want to watch too many foreign movies" which is perfectly fine, but don't expect everyone to cater to your specific tastes. I will reiterate that this is a voluntary challenge and nobody will ever pressure you to participate in it, complete it or even follow any sort of format in regards to what you count in each category.

ApexPredator 01-02-23 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2358296)
The challenges are fine. I’m quite happy with them, in fact. Spent the day looking up films that would fit into the categories.
Same thing here. That's why I haven't put up my list yet.

And I'll agree with others that it's not too centered on foreign films. It feels just right.

ApexPredator 01-02-23 12:39 PM

Don't get too excited. I'm probably just doing the Main Challenge again this year. The Nightmare is to clean up any loose ends.

NOTE: Bolded Titles=Seen; (Titles)=Downloaded/Locked In; Titles=Considered

Main Challenge (6/52)  

Nightmare Mode (2/110)  

I'm gonna probably spend the next day or two trying to determine what films I want here, but I think the results aren't too bad so far. Got a mix of harder hitting films and lighter ones (although I may try to lighten things up a bit more between now and then).

WARNING: "Highlights" spoilers below

Come and See
A Taste of Cherry
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Second shot at Goodfellas
Finding room for The Banshees of Inisherin and RRR
The Gold Rush
The Apartment

Kamakhya 01-02-23 04:01 PM

Hi. I'm new around these parts. I wanted to find a good movie challenge to do this year and this challenge looked the most interesting of the half dozen I found.

I started off the year with Ali: Fear Eats the Soul by Fassbinder, my first Fassbinder film. A great start!

Main Challenge 18/52  

Nightmare Mode 0/110  

Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else 07/??  

I am not well versed in the ins and outs of how to post in this forum, so please be patient as I learn the platform and make the inevitable blunders. Can't wait to see what everyone else chooses for the challenge.

Wyldesyde19 01-02-23 04:26 PM

Welcome!

Jabs 01-02-23 04:39 PM

@Kamakhya welcome both to the forum and the challenge! Enjoy yourself and don't worry about blunders.

Ali: Fear eats the Soul is my choice as well for New German Cinema

Jabs 01-04-23 06:56 PM

Some observations by checking your lists:
@Wyldesyde19 Embrace of the Serpent is Colombian, not Cambodian.
@RMNT The White Ribbon is not considered New German Cinema as that wave ended in the 80s. Here is some more info.

Also throwing a handful of very high recommendations from myself:
Incendies
Smooth Talk
Insiang
The Cremator
Z

Wyldesyde19 01-04-23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2359139)
Some observations by checking your lists:
@Wyldesyde19 Embrace of the Serpent is Colombian, not Cambodian.
@RMNT The White Ribbon is not considered New German Cinema as that wave ended in the 80s. Here is some more info.

Also throwing a handful of very high recommendations from myself:
Incendies
Smooth Talk
Insiang
The Cremator
Z
Ah, you’re right! Thanks for the correction. I’m still sure I haven’t seen anything from Colombia yet either way

Jabs 01-04-23 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2359142)
Ah, you’re right! Thanks for the correction. I’m still sure I haven’t seen anything from Colombia yet either way
If Cambodia is also new territory for you, First They Killed My Father is a great film.

Wyldesyde19 01-04-23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2359144)
If Cambodia is also new territory for you, First They Killed My Father is a great film.
It is. Still many countries to for me to uncover. Like Finland. All these years and I haven’t seen anything from them. Good time as any time crack into Karismaki.

Wyldesyde19 01-04-23 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2359144)
Speaking of countries , what country were you planning to use for your ten?

beelzebubble 01-04-23 07:51 PM

I thought I would give it a shot this year.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Relevant Lists

I left the lists here for my convenience.

Wyldesyde19 01-04-23 08:13 PM

Welcome!

Jabs 01-04-23 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2359157)
Speaking of countries , what country were you planning to use for your ten?

I have plenty as can be seen from the thread linked above, but I was thinking I would try to include Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela because that would finish off South America for me and perhaps Vanuatu, Marshall islands and Papua New Guinea as these are the only Oceanian countries left I have been able to find films from.

Edit: I misunderstood the question.
India, France or Greece are the current frontrunners

Welcome @beelzebubble !

Kamakhya 01-04-23 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2359149)
It is. Still many countries to for me to uncover. Like Finland. All these years and I haven’t seen anything from them. Good time as any time crack into Karismaki.
I've only seen a couple Kaurismaki films, but I'd recommend "The Other Side of Hope".

Takoma11 01-07-23 01:03 PM

1. New German Cinema It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives
2. Japanese New Wave Violence at Noon
3. Cinema du look Subway
4. Australian New Wave Snapshot
5. Documentary Film Movement Night Mail
6. Iranian New Wave Downpour

Violence at Noon and Downpour are definitely the standouts here. It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives was incredibly interesting, though I'd say it's more interesting as a cultural artifact than a stand-alone piece of art/entertainment.

kgaard 01-07-23 03:57 PM

Gee, here I was feeling good about having already knocked out two whole movies. :|

Takoma11 01-07-23 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2360015)
Gee, here I was feeling good about having already knocked out two whole movies. :|
The trick is to get so behind in your grading that you must spend an absurd amount of time in your home and on your couch.

Wyldesyde19 01-07-23 04:31 PM

I have watched 4 from the categories so far. I have films marked in the foreign countries I haven’t seen category, but those are just there as reminders of sorts.

edarsenal 01-07-23 06:38 PM

WELCOME @beelzebubble, and ENJOY!!

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2359950)
1. New German Cinema It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives
2. Japanese New Wave Violence at Noon
3. Cinema du look Subway
4. Australian New Wave Snapshot
5. Documentary Film Movement Night Mail
6. Iranian New Wave Downpour

Violence at Noon and Downpour are definitely the standouts here.
Loved your review of this - well, I ALWAYS love your reviews, but, anyway. The amusing moments, and beautiful cinematography, especially after reading, I always say it's a good sign when I agonize over which still image to include in a review. I was hooked. Gonna add that one; thank you!

I. Three monkeys off your back
[Watch a film fitting each of the following categories of addiction]
1. a film with an alcoholic main character I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) After seeing Susan Hayward in House of Strangers (1949) in my I have a vision... watch 10 films from the same director Joseph L. Mankiewicz and loved her, I found this perusing her movies.
2. a film about drug addiction The Panic in Needle Park (1971) I was initially going to go with Requiem for a Dream (2000), but this really called to me. It's Al Pacino's FIRST leading part, and the film Francis Ford Coppola showed to Paramount executives in order to convince them that Al Pacino was suitable for the role of Michael Corleone in The Godfather (1972). How cool is that?
3. a film in which gambling is a central theme The Cincinnati Kid (1965) The Literal Prize of these Unknown Gems, I grew up a HUGE Steve McQueen fan and NEVER saw this one and watching a poker scene on youtube and then see the list of people in this: Karl Malden, Tuesday Welds, Ann-Marget, Edward G. Robinson, just off the top. . . hell, I am geeked.

Also:

Hallmost Famous
watch 10 films that have been nominated in any MoFo Hall of Fame but never won
1. Farewell My Concubine aka Ba wang bie ji (1993) 1st Hall of Fame
2. Sonatine (1993) 6th Hall of Fame
3. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) 9th Hall of Fame
4. The Set Up (1949) First Film Noir Hall of Fame
5. The Steel Helmet (1951) 50's Part II Hall of Fame
6. Kansas City Confidential (1952) Noir Part II Hall of Fame
7. Ida (2013) 11th Hall of Fame REVIEW
8. The Bravados (1958) Western Hall of Fame
9. One-Eyed Jacks (1961) Western Hall of Fame
10. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) Animation Hall of Fame

LOOOVED Ida! Highly recommend it.
The majority are Must See!/Truly Sought Out with a couple of unknown curiosities, Kansas City Confidential (1952), The Set Up (1949), and Steel Helmet (1951) thrown in. Should be QUITE enjoyable.

Kamakhya 01-07-23 08:25 PM

I've been really excited to do this new challenge. It has been a while since I did one. The first movie was great, but the second for Japanese New Wave is a total slog for me ("Eros & Massacre"). I have not been able to watch it to the end. Last night, some friends and I watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and bam, #2 for mid-life crisis films. So, yeah, only 2 for me too. Inspiration to up one's game. :)

Wyldesyde19 01-07-23 08:28 PM

I loved Eros + Massacre, but I admit it’s not for everyone.

Takoma11 01-08-23 10:10 PM

B. Behind the Iron Curtain
[Watch a film from each of the following countries while they were under communist rule]
1. Soviet Union (1922-1991) The Legend of Suram Fortress
2. Poland (1947-1989) A Short Film About Love
3. Yugoslavia (1945-1992) H-8
4. Czechoslovakia (1948-1989) Daisies
5. China (1949-present) A Chinese Ghost Story

These were all fantastic and I'd recommend all of them. Just finished A Chinese Ghost Story and it was a total blast.

Siddon 01-08-23 10:13 PM

All the places you’ll go
watch 10 films, each from a different country that you’ve never watched a film from before

Yeah this doesn't apply to me so I'm going by locations

1. A Woman King(2022) (Benin)

Jabs 01-09-23 02:05 AM

@Siddon do you happen to have an IMDb or Letterboxd account? I'd love to take a peak at options for films from some of those more obscure countries I have trouble finding films from since you've done them all.

Siddon 01-09-23 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2360395)
@Siddon do you happen to have an IMDb or Letterboxd account? I'd love to take a peak at options for films from some of those more obscure countries I have trouble finding films from since you've done them all.

I use Flickchart and I'm redoing my list...here's my first one
https://www.flickchart.com/John8204

And here's the new one where I'm trying to get a more accurate list of every film I've ever seen ranked

https://www.flickchart.com/Siddon

Takoma11 01-10-23 07:27 PM

Looking for a little clarification (though I think I might have asked the same question last year!).

For the section D, it's that the film won any award at the named thing or that it won the main award?

For example, could I watch a Cannes Grand Prix winner, or can I only watch Palme d'Or winners? For the Oscars could it be a film for which someone won Best Actor, or does it have to be a Best Picture winner?

Wyldesyde19 01-10-23 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2360954)
Looking for a little clarification (though I think I might have asked the same question last year!).

For the section D, it's that the film won any award at the named thing or that it won the main award?

For example, could I watch a Cannes Grand Prix winner, or can I only watch Palme d'Or winners? For the Oscars could it be a film for which someone won Best Actor, or does it have to be a Best Picture winner?
I took it as any award

Captain Terror 01-10-23 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2360955)
I took it as any award
Same

Takoma11 01-10-23 08:58 PM

Okay, that's what I figured.

Thanks!

Takoma11 01-10-23 09:56 PM

C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed]
1. [Fantasy: Sword & Sorcery] Solomon Kane
2. [Fantasy: High Fantasy] Hawk the Slayer
3. [Fantasy: Magical Realism] Like Water for Chocolate
4. [Fantasy: Dark fantasy] Something Wicked This Way Comes

The internet had some different and confusing ideas about which films fit which category, so I did my best!

This was a pretty blah group, honestly. Only Like Water for Chocolate and Something Wicked This Way Comes would be worth watching.

edarsenal 01-10-23 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2361001)
2. [Fantasy: High Fantasy] Hawk the Slayer
Haven't seen this lil B-Movie Fantasy faire since my early twenties lol

Takoma11 01-11-23 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2361034)
Haven't seen this lil B-Movie Fantasy faire since my early twenties lol
I would recommend leaving it as a (fond?) memory.

edarsenal 01-12-23 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2361259)
I would recommend leaving it as a (fond?) memory.
I totally agree lol

RMNT 01-12-23 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by RMNT (Post 2358134)
My future updates:

Main Challenge [0/52]  

Nightmare Mode [0/110]  
Nightmare Mode  
@Jabs not sure if you could help me with this but as you can see my Nightmare challenge is for some reason split in two parts. I happened today. I never wrote the code to do it and whenever I delete it and save the post the split reappears at the same place. Maybe you know something about it?

Captain Terror 01-12-23 11:04 AM

4. Sleepwalking Land (2007)[/collapse][/size][collapse="Nightmare Mode"]5. Viagem aos Makonde (2019)
Between Sleepwalking Land and Viagem... you've got a "collapse" that needs to be deleted.

RMNT 01-12-23 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2361393)
Between Sleepwalking Land and Viagem... you've got a "collapse" that needs to be deleted.

As I wrote, when I delete it and save the post it reappears. Tried it for more than 10 times.

Captain Terror 01-12-23 11:45 AM

My future updates:

Main Challenge [0/52]  

Nightmare Mode [0/110]  
Try to copy/paste this and see if it works

EDIT: I forgot you can't "quote a quote". See your PMs

RMNT 01-12-23 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2361399)
Try to copy/paste this and see if it works

EDIT: I forgot you can't "quote a quote". See your PMs

Thanks ;)

Jabs 01-12-23 01:06 PM

@RMNT I see it was resolved. Glad someone helped you out

Takoma11 01-15-23 11:47 AM

D. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards]
1. Cannes Film Festival L’Enfant
2. Academy Award Kramer vs Kramer
3. National Society of Film Critics Award Night of the Shooting Stars
4. Berlin International Film Festival The Ascent
5. Locarno Film Festival The Glass Wall

After that lackluster round of fantasy films, another strong batch! These were all really good or great and I'd highly recommend all of them. The Glass Wall is on YouTube.

Wyldesyde19 01-15-23 08:14 PM

Wasn’t a big fan of The Night of the Shooting Stars.
I’ve also seen Padre Padrone from the same directors, The Taviani brothers, and wasn’t a big fan of that either.

Kramer vs Kramer is a great film. Streep is so great.

Takoma11 01-15-23 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2362366)
Wasn’t a big fan of The Night of the Shooting Stars.
I’ve also seen Padre Padrone from the same directors, The Taviani brothers, and wasn’t a big fan of that either.
What didn't you like about Night of the Shooting Stars? Do you remember?

Wyldesyde19 01-16-23 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2362425)
What didn't you like about Night of the Shooting Stars? Do you remember?

I didn’t find it particularly compelling for some reason. I watched it last year, found it merely “ok” but lacking in its story overall.

Jabs 01-18-23 01:20 PM

If you are looking for inspiration for "All the places you'll go", This Is Not a Burial, It's a Resurrection is a very well made art-house film from Lesotho which I happened to catch recently. Available in the Criterion Channel.

Wyldesyde19 01-18-23 03:00 PM

Jabs, for the Free Samples Category in nightmare mode, are we supposed to start with the decade 1920’s, which is about 100 years, or was the intention for us to start from the decade 1910-1919?

Jabs 01-18-23 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2363340)
Jabs, for the Free Samples Category in nightmare mode, are we supposed to start with the decade 1920’s, which is about 100 years, or was the intention for us to start from the decade 1910-1919?
1920-2023

kgaard 01-18-23 04:12 PM

I haven't recommended any films yet, so here's a bunch:

Vanishing Point
The Ruling Class
The Hidden
Apartment Zero
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
In the Bedroom
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Rabbit Hole
Margin Call
Robot & Frank
Frank
Blue Jay
Colossal
First Reformed
Shirkers
Leave No Trace
Atlantics
The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open
Aftersun

Some of the earlier films may be hard to find, but a lot of the later ones should be readily available.

Takoma11 01-20-23 11:15 PM

Has someone collected the participant recommendations into one place?

Takoma11 01-20-23 11:17 PM

E. I have always depended on the lists of strangers:
[Watch one film featured in each of the following prominent lists]
1. Sight & Sound’s Greatest Films Poll Beau Travail
2. Cahiers du Cinéma’s Annual Top 10 Apollo 10 ½
3. 100 Italian Movies Restored Chains
4. Steven Jay Schneider's 1001 movies Alice
5. Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project El Fantasma del Convento

Another great batch! Woo! Would recommend all of the above. Beau Travail was excellent.

Wyldesyde19 01-20-23 11:52 PM

Alice?

I seriously doubt it’s the Woody Allen film, given your issues with his past allegations, but I’m having trouble thinking of any other film titled Alice.

What I’m saying is, I’m intrigued

Takoma11 01-20-23 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2364205)
Alice?

I seriously doubt it’s the Woody Allen film, given your issues with his past allegations, but I’m having trouble thinking of any other film titled Alice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_5

A surreal stop-motion adaptation of Alice in Wonderland.

Takoma11 01-21-23 12:02 AM

Recommendations! (I will update as people add them)

Iroquois
Naked Lunch
The Last Emperor
Angel Heart
An Elephant Sitting Still
Who Killed Captain Alex
The Children of Paradise
The Sacrifice
Old Joy
Touki Bouki
The Proposition

Wyldesyde19
The Thief (1997)
The Ox (1991)
La Leon (2007)
Witchhammer (1970)
The Whisperers (1967)
Dust in the Wind (1986)
In the Earth (2020)
The Molly Maguires (1970)
Zero Effect (1998)

Edarsenal
Rome, Open City aka Roma città aperta (1945)
La Vérité (1960)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
The Servant (1963)
Badlands (1973)
The Cranes Are Flying aka Letyat zhuravli (1957)
You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)
Dead End (1937)
Army of Shadows aka L'armée des ombres (1969)
A Monkey in Winter aka Un singe en hiver (1962)
Band of Outsiders aka Bande à part (1964)
The King and the Clown aka Wang-ui namja (2005)
In This Corner of the World (2016) (Animation)
Hôtel du Nord (1935)
Classe tous risques (1960)
Children of Paradise aka Les enfants du paradis (1945)

Jabs
Incendies
Smooth Talk
Insiang
The Cremator
Z

kgaard
Vanishing Point
The Ruling Class
The Hidden
Apartment Zero
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
In the Bedroom
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Rabbit Hole
Margin Call
Robot & Frank
Frank
Blue Jay
Colossal
First Reformed
Shirkers
Leave No Trace
Atlantics
The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open
Aftersun

Kamakhya
Hukkle - György Pálfi
Alice - Jan Svankmajer - Noticed this discussed above and 2nd the rec!!
Punishment Park - Peter Watkins
Tangerine - Sean Baker
Night on Earth - Jim Jarmusch
Tape - Richard Linklater
Fish Story - Yoshihiro Nakamura
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Cristian Mungiu
Timecode - Mike Figgis
Locke - Steven Knight
Hunger - Steve McQueen
Shame - Steve McQueen
Far From Heaven - Todd Haynes (Great with All That Heaven Allows by Douglas Sirk)
Wristcutters, a Love Story - Goran Dukić
Fish Tank - Andrea Arnold
Kubo and the Two Strings - Travis Knight

Apex Predator
FTA (1972, Netflix)
The Pied Piper (1985, YouTube)
Blessed Benefit (2016, Netflix)
The Ash Lad: Search for the Golden Castle (2019, Prime/Tubi/Peacock/Roku) Won't need to watch part 1 to understand this one.
The Hundred Foot Journey (2014, Hulu although this does hop around)
The Block Island Sound (2021, Netflix)
Blue Jay (2017, Netflix)
Love at First Fight (2014, Tubi)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020, Netflix)
Wrestle (2018, Kanopy)
Frantz (2016, Prime/Kanopy)
Destiny (1921, Kanopy)
Iris (2014, Vudu/Pluto/Kanopy)
Life Itself (2014, Hoopla/Kanopy)
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay (2012, Kanopy/Vudu)
The Fits (2015, Kanopy)
The Intouchables (2011, Hoopa/Kanopy)
Biutiful (2010, Hoopla/Prime/Kanopy)

And I'll throw in three titles that aren't streaming at the moment, but I'd also recommend:
The Dooms Chapel Horror (2016)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
Confessions (2010, Japanese Thriller)

Kamakhya 01-22-23 12:00 AM

Are there any rules to recommending? Can I just make a shoutout to any film I loved? I can do that! :)

Jabs 01-22-23 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kamakhya (Post 2364512)
Are there any rules to recommending? Can I just make a shoutout to any film I loved? I can do that! :)
No rules whatsoever. Shout away!

Kamakhya 01-22-23 06:45 PM

Here is a list of films I enjoyed, for many different reasons.

Hukkle - György Pálfi
Alice - Jan Svankmajer - Noticed this discussed above and 2nd the rec!!
Punishment Park - Peter Watkins
Tangerine - Sean Baker
Night on Earth - Jim Jarmusch
Tape - Richard Linklater
Fish Story - Yoshihiro Nakamura
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Cristian Mungiu
Timecode - Mike Figgis
Locke - Steven Knight
Hunger - Steve McQueen
Shame - Steve McQueen
Far From Heaven - Todd Haynes (Great with All That Heaven Allows by Douglas Sirk)
Wristcutters, a Love Story - Goran Dukić
Fish Tank - Andrea Arnold
Kubo and the Two Strings - Travis Knight

Takoma11 01-22-23 09:18 PM

Great list, Kamakhya!

My recommendations. I tried to go for lesser seen films, and especially those available on streaming services people are more likely to have:

Tammy and the T-Rex (Tubi, Shudder)
On The Count of Three (Hulu)
The VelociPastor (Tubi, VuduFree, lots of others)
Death Rides a Horse (Tubi, Hoopla, etc)
Crip Camp (Netflix)
Images (Tubi)
God Told Me To (Prime, Shudder)
Straight Up (Netflix, Kanopy)
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (Prime, Tubi, etc)
The Hitch-Hiker (1953, Prime, Tubi, VuduFree, etc)
Across 110th Street (Hoopla)
Blacula (Prime, Kanopy)
Hunted (2020, Shudder)
A Touch of Zen (Criterion, sorry!)
Funeral Parade of Roses (Kanopy)

ApexPredator 01-25-23 05:54 PM

I guess I'm past time for some recommendations. Some I've seen in the past year while others are from years past:

FTA (1972, Netflix)
Blessed Benefit (2016, Netflix)
The Ash Lad: Search for the Golden Castle (2019, Prime/Tubi/Peacock/Roku) Won't need to watch part 1 to understand this one.
The Hundred Foot Journey (2014, Hulu although this does hop around)
The Block Island Sound (2021, Netflix)
Blue Jay (2017, Netflix)
Love at First Fight (2014, Tubi)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020, Netflix)
Wrestle (2018, Kanopy)
Frantz (2016, Prime/Kanopy)
Destiny (1921, Kanopy)
Iris (2014, Vudu/Pluto/Kanopy)
Life Itself (2014, Hoopla/Kanopy)
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay (2012, Kanopy/Vudu)
The Fits (2015, Kanopy)
The Intouchables (2011, Hoopa/Kanopy)
Biutiful (2010, Hoopla/Prime/Kanopy)

And I'll throw in three titles that aren't streaming at the moment, but I'd also recommend:
The Dooms Chapel Horror (2016)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
Confessions (2010, Japanese Thriller)

Captain Terror 01-25-23 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ApexPredator (Post 2365884)
I guess I'm past time for some recommendations. Some I've seen in the past year while others are from years past:

:up:

Takoma11 01-25-23 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2365886)
:up:
Yes, thirded!

SpelingError 01-25-23 06:24 PM

I also enjoyed The Pied Piper.

Little Ash 01-25-23 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2364205)
Alice?

It's been a long time since I last watched that, but I would also strongly endorse Svankmajer's Alice.

Wyldesyde19 01-25-23 07:06 PM

Wasn’t a big fan of either Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom nor Biutiful.

Both had really good performances overshadowed by, what seemed to me, lazy writing.

Kamakhya 01-26-23 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2364751)
Great list, Kamakhya!

A Touch of Zen (Criterion, sorry!)
Funeral Parade of Roses (Kanopy)
Thanks! I am largely not aware of the films you listed, but will definitely seek a few out. I blind bought Funeral Parade of Roses on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I also think everyone should subscribe to the Criterion Channel! Not only is it a vast wealth of solid cinema, but it is a decent company that we should support as cinephiles. :)

Takoma11 01-26-23 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kamakhya (Post 2366334)
Thanks! I am largely not aware of the films you listed, but will definitely seek a few out. I blind bought Funeral Parade of Roses on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I also think everyone should subscribe to the Criterion Channel! Not only is it a vast wealth of solid cinema, but it is a decent company that we should support as cinephiles. :)
Agreed--it's a great service.

I did an IMDb search for movies with less than 10,000 votes (I think that was the number I picked) and tried to grab from those to avoid ones people here were more likely to have seen.

Jabs 01-27-23 05:06 AM

I will also give a shout to Criterion. I got a subscription as a birthday present last year and they offer films of high quality for viewers with a wide range of cinematic interests.

Kamakhya 01-27-23 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 2366391)
I will also give a shout to Criterion. I got a subscription as a birthday present last year and they offer films of high quality for viewers with a wide range of cinematic interests.
Their physical media is often top notch as well. Great supplements, artwork, and essays can really enhance the film. I try to pick a few up during their twice yearly 50% off sales.

edarsenal 01-28-23 12:40 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for the listing, Takoma! And yes, Criterion is a Must Have and one I'll hopefully be getting as well in the future.

Wyldesyde19 01-28-23 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2366765)
Thank you SO MUCH for the listing, Takoma! And yes, Criterion is a Must Have and one I'll hopefully be getting as well in the future.
Oh man. You’re in for a treat. I finally subscribed a few months ago and I haven’t been happier. All the films I’ve been meaning to watch that weren’t available are finally mine!

Takoma11 01-29-23 07:27 PM

F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors and cinematographers]
1. Billy Wilder, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
2. Alain Resnais, Hiroshima Mon Amour
3. Delphine Seyrig, Golden Eighties
4. Oskar Werner, Jules and Jim
5. Conrad L. Hall, Incubus

A solid group. Incubus and Hiroshima Mon Amour were my favorites.

Takoma11 01-29-23 09:50 PM

G. The circle of life
[Watch a film with each of the following age-related themes]
1. a film with a child protagonist Queen of Katwe
2. a coming-of-age film Catherine Called Birdy
3. a mid-life crisis film The Kid Detective
4. a film tackling old age Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I really liked The Kid Detective and Catherine Called Birdy. Queen of Katwe was good.

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a borderline-offensive mess, would not recommend. I didn't have the emotional heft for something like Amour or another downer film. I went for a comedy instead. Mistakes were made.