Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ufc (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=22765)

LuDiNaToR 06-07-10 07:24 AM

Ufc

started a thread about the game and people started talking bout the ufc, so thought id start a thread for any fans that wanna talk about brock getting knocked out by shane carwin in a few weeks haha, what do any of use think ?

Brodinski 06-07-10 08:21 AM

I'll reply here to your favourite fighter choices that you mentioned in the other thread.

I like all those guys, except Mir because of his personality.

Anderson Silva is my favourite MMA fighter, second to Fedor. There are no challengers for his 185 belt, although the UFC would like casual fans to believe that Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort are still legit challengers. Maybe Shields if he signs with the UFC but I doubt it. Sonnen has just been running his mouth on Silva for months: how he will humiliate him, turn it into a grueling match, how it's his moral duty to kick Silva's ass. But the truth is that Sonnen has talked his way into this match. Sonnen has nothing on Silva, his only chance is to take him down via his wrestling skills and try to pound on him. So Sonnen can run his mouth all he wants, but Anderson will absolutely tool him. Demian Maia submitted Sonnen and we all saw what Anderson did to Maia...

I like Anderson because he actually has some boxing skills, one of the only MMA fighters for that matter. He's just very well-rounded. And I also like him because he can showboat like Roy Jones and get away with it, because his opposition is no match for him.

Then there's GSP, your 2nd choice. He's well-rounded. But much like Anderson Silva at 185, there's no more challengers for him at 170. He needs to move up to 185 and do a fight against a guy like Marquardt and, provided that he wins, go for Silva's belt. But GSP is saying how there are still challengers at 170, because all the guys he beat up (Fitch, Thiago Alves, Koscheck) have "changed". Bit of a lack of ambition there imo. I respect GSP for his mma skills, but not so much for the fact that he kind of clings to that 170 division.

Shane Carwin then: I like him a lot. He’s a stand-up guy, no drama, no trash talking, just punching guys’ lights out in round 1. I never expected him to beat Mir, but then again, Mir had a dumb game plan. If you let a 265 pound colossus like Carwin push you up against the cage and you do nothing, sooner or later punches are going to rain down on your body / face. And the second Mir went down, he turtled up, already half way down lala-land due to Carwin uppercuts. I hope Carwin knocks out Lesnar’s lights at UFC 116.

Frank Mir: I like his skills, the way he can work from the bottom, move his hips and submit his opponents. I remember that insane shoulder lock he submitted Pete Williams with. That was one of the finest submissions I think I’ve ever seen. That being said, I don’t like his attitude. He runs his mouth too much and can’t afford to because he’s lost a third of all his fights.

Btw, why is the thread called "ufc" instead of "MMA"? I mean, there's more to MMA than just UFC, although Zuffa would like us to believe otherwise. There's still a lot of top guys that aren't competing in the UFC, such as:

- Fedor: no explanation necessary. #1 HW.
- Ubereem: Imo, the #2 HW, very well-rounded, dangerous boxing, killer knees and submission skills.
- Mousasi: still needs to develop his skill set a bit, but he is a great fighter already.
- Muhammed Lawal: currect strikeforce LHW champ with killer wrestling skills
- Melendez: current strikeforce LW champ
- Jacare: future strikeforce MW champ

And some others like Aoki, Kid Yamamoto, Bigfoot Silva and Alvarez.

Enough of my rambling, anyone have any thoughts on UFC 115?

Here's the main card:

Light Heavyweight bout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...States.svg.png Chuck Liddell vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...States.svg.png Rich Franklin
Heavyweight bout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...roatia.svg.png Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...States.svg.png Patrick Barry
Welterweight bout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Brazil.svg.png Paulo Thiago vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...enmark.svg.png Martin Kampmann
Heavyweight bout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...States.svg.png Ben Rothwell vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rlands.svg.png Gilbert Yvel
Welterweight bout: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...States.svg.png Carlos Condit vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Canada.svg.png Rory MacDonald

My predictions:
- Franklin
- Patrick Barry
- Paulo Thiago
- Rothwell
- no idea

LuDiNaToR 06-07-10 06:03 PM

Re: Ufc

Liddel
Patrick Barry
Paulo Thiago
Rothwell

i think 115 is a poor card realy i cnt wait for 116.

earlsmoviepicks 06-08-10 10:25 AM

My favorite fighters to watch are:

Chael Sonnen-- he is always a super-aggressive wrestler

Uriah Faber-- very creative fighter

Anderson Silva (when he's not playing babygames in the ring...)

Josh Koscheck -- he just goes for it

Miguel Torres-- he looks like a baby monkey, but I love the way he fights.

Brock Lesnar-- he reminds me of "The Crusher" in the Bugs Bunny cartoon. What a gorilla. However, he's fun to watch.

Brodinski 06-08-10 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 626523)
My favorite fighters to watch are:

Chael Sonnen-- he is always a super-aggressive wrestler

Uriah Faber-- very creative fighter

Anderson Silva (when he's not playing babygames in the ring...)

Josh Koscheck -- he just goes for it

Miguel Torres-- he looks like a baby monkey, but I love the way he fights.

Brock Lesnar-- he reminds me of "The Crusher" in the Bugs Bunny cartoon. What a gorilla. However, he's fun to watch.
It's true that Sonnen always turns his matches into real fights but I dislike everything about the guy. His matches are usually entertaining to watch and he's a good wrestler but his personality disgusts me. He has talked his way into a match with Anderson. Honestly, I don't even think he's a legit challenger.

As to Anderson's showboating against Maia. He did it because he could. Maia had nothing on him and was in fact an inferior opponent. The only thing that Anderson is guilty of is not KO'ing him and playing it safe. I did not enjoy the last 2 rounds of that fight because Silva knew he had it in the bag and took no risks at all anymore. When you know you can KO a guy and when you have such superior boxing skills, you should just go for it and give the fans their money's worth. But the showboating I don't mind.

Koscheck vs Daley was bs. Koscheck was being a little crybaby and Daley crossed the line with that punch. That being said, I think it's harsh that they've cut Daley for that one punch.

What are your thoughts on the main card of UFC 115?

Brodinski 06-08-10 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 626278)
Liddel
Patrick Barry
Paulo Thiago
Rothwell

i think 115 is a poor card realy i cnt wait for 116.
Why Liddell? He's lost 4 of his last 5 fights, 3 of those he got KTFO. He has noticeably slowed down and will be rusty after that long lay-off. I think Chuck should take Franklin down and try to win via decision, but doubt very much if he'll succeed at doing that

That's not to say that Franklin will steamroll him. He's also past his prime imo, but not as much as Chuck. His skill set is also more developed. I reckon Franklin via unanimous decision.

earlsmoviepicks 06-08-10 11:10 AM

I would like to see Liddell-Franklin, I think that one will be good. I also am rooting for Mac Danzig-- I always liked that guy, but he seemed stuck in the middle somewhere.

I think alot of the shenanigans we are seeing in the UFC (Silva showboating, Koscheck weeping in the corner, etc) might be the reaction of the fighters to UFC rules, decisions, matchups, etc. I remember a while back watching Royce Gracie take out any opponent with no time limit rounds etc. If it took him 20 minutes on his back to take out his opponent, so be it. Unfortunately the UFC is now pressured to be entertainment, so that may be why the fighters are behaving so poorly, and guys like Sonnen have to shoot off their mouths just to get noticed and have title fights. (btw, can't wait till the Sonnen-Silva matchup!)
Just a half-baked theory...:p

Brodinski 06-08-10 02:59 PM

I would like to believe it's just that, but that's not it. Fighters are often dismissive of their opponents to hype a fight. We've seen it very recently with Jackson vs. Evans. All of that talk makes casual fans believe that that match-up was something unique and exciting, but it wasn't. It was just an eliminator bout for the championship; they have those every month. Fighters run their mouth in order to sell the fight.

Remember how Rashad evans was saying how he was gonna knock Rampage's lights out. Then the fight finally started and he had no intention whatsoever to trade shots with Rampage. He stuck to his gameplan and I actually think he fought intelligently, but it makes you see that all that talk beforehand is just that: talk.

you could see it after the fight, they were quite respectful to one another. Rampage even said that Rashad was "the man".

Sonnen is always running his mouth, not just for this bout against Anderson. Every time he has to fight, he speaks very dismissive of his opponent. It's just a gimmick and in Sonnen's case, it's getting embarrassing. You need to put your money where your mouth is and Sonnen loses way too much to keep talking ***** about his opponents. After Anderson has decimated him, what's he going to say then? All that smack talk will only make even more people see what a fool he is.

That being said, he's probably looking at a 100k + payday, even if he loses so maybe the fans are the fools for buying into this hype fight...

LuDiNaToR 06-08-10 05:09 PM

i dunno i just think liddel is really going to gor for it ..

earlsmoviepicks 06-09-10 09:47 AM

Good point on the hype, it is kind of strange how these guys talk so much trash beforehand, then hug each other with respect after the fight. If you listen to the younger fighters starting out, they say things about how they're gonna hurt and humiliate their opponent etc, like they have to get themselves worked up and angry first. I like when the fighters behave like pro athletes and say they're looking forward to "banging it up" or the like, and don't get personal.

I cannot wait for the Sonnen-Anderson fight. I think you're right, he will get decimated, but when he says, "I'm just going to keep putting my head into his chest and taking him down" I hope he means it. Gonna be fun to watch btw, he claims Silva speaks perfect English, do you think that's true? (could be trash though...)

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 626615)
I would like to believe it's just that, but that's not it. Fighters are often dismissive of their opponents to hype a fight. We've seen it very recently with Jackson vs. Evans. All of that talk makes casual fans believe that that match-up was something unique and exciting, but it wasn't. It was just an eliminator bout for the championship; they have those every month. Fighters run their mouth in order to sell the fight.

Remember how Rashad evans was saying how he was gonna knock Rampage's lights out. Then the fight finally started and he had no intention whatsoever to trade shots with Rampage. He stuck to his gameplan and I actually think he fought intelligently, but it makes you see that all that talk beforehand is just that: talk.

you could see it after the fight, they were quite respectful to one another. Rampage even said that Rashad was "the man".

Sonnen is always running his mouth, not just for this bout against Anderson. Every time he has to fight, he speaks very dismissive of his opponent. It's just a gimmick and in Sonnen's case, it's getting embarrassing. You need to put your money where your mouth is and Sonnen loses way too much to keep talking ***** about his opponents. After Anderson has decimated him, what's he going to say then? All that smack talk will only make even more people see what a fool he is.

That being said, he's probably looking at a 100k + payday, even if he loses so maybe the fans are the fools for buying into this hype fight...

Brodinski 06-09-10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 626905)
Good point on the hype, it is kind of strange how these guys talk so much trash beforehand, then hug each other with respect after the fight. If you listen to the younger fighters starting out, they say things about how they're gonna hurt and humiliate their opponent etc, like they have to get themselves worked up and angry first. I like when the fighters behave like pro athletes and say they're looking forward to "banging it up" or the like, and don't get personal.
Yeah I like it too when they just say that they hope to have a good fight for the fans. That's partially why Fedor is my favourite MMA fighter. No drama, no bullsh!t, just winning every single fight he participates in. And he is so always so calm and serene. After a fight, he's not overly enthusiastic. It's like he's just won 10$ on the lottery instead of another 500k+ fight.

That being said, I love fighters that showboat a bit during the fight like Anderson.

I cannot wait for the Sonnen-Anderson fight. I think you're right, he will get decimated, but when he says, "I'm just going to keep putting my head into his chest and taking him down" I hope he means it.
Hehe, he might. But if he can't take Anderson down, this will be over very quickly. Silva already shows himself the better man by not taking part in Sonnen's smacktalk, but I'm sure that it annoys him. So Anderson will be looking for a vicious knockout and Sonnen can only stop him by being on top of him.

I'm not really looking forward to this fight because I already know the outcome. The last fight I was really excited for was Machida vs Shogun II. And my boy Machida took a lot of punishment. I was so glad that Shogun stopped firing before the ref actually ended the fight. A fighter can only endure so much of these knockouts, luckily it's Machida's first.

Gonna be fun to watch btw, he claims Silva speaks perfect English, do you think that's true? (could be trash though...)
I read on a forum that a guy met Anderson. He said that Silva can understand English very well, but has a lot of difficulty speaking English. I think he doesn't speak English in his press conferences and post-fight interviews because he's unable to fully express his thoughts.

I can understand German very well and I can express myself in German in a very basic way, but I would struggle a lot at making conversation with a German. So naturally, I prefer to speak English to Germans because i'm able to express myself better. The analogy can also be applied to Silva.

It's just Sonnen running his mouth again.

Brodinski 06-09-10 04:54 PM

Other news:

Randy Couture’s contract has been signed, sealed, and delivered to face former pro boxer James Toney at UFC 118 on August 28 at the TD Garden in Boston, the fighting legend confirmed with Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

Following internal discussions between the camps and promotion regarding a catch-weight for the bout, Couture, who turns 47 on June 22, said he’ll face Toney at heavyweight. Sherdog.com has not yet been able to ascertain if Toney has submitted his bout agreement as well.
Source: Sherdog

Now this is a fight that I am looking forward to. I cannot wait for James "Lights Out" Toney to lay out Couture.

I can already picture it: Couture looking serious, circling Toney, then tries to jump in for a double leg takedown. But Toney nicks the side of Randy's head and brutally finishes him. He will subsequently stand triumphant over the fallen MMA legend, shouting about how weak, pathetic and queer MMA really is. And I will love every second of it.

Boxing will - as fights between MMA-fighters and old, washed-up boxers have previously demonstrated - further establish its reputation as the superior combat sport.

And just to share Toney's opinion on what the UFC really means...

“They talkin’ about ground game? That don’t mean nothin’ to me dog. I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil ***. You know what UFC stands for, right? Ultimate ****ing Chumps. Ultimate Fighting Cocksuckers”

LuDiNaToR 06-13-10 07:49 AM

so rich franklin got the win with a broken arm.

Brodinski 06-13-10 11:58 AM

Like I said, age has caught up with Liddell and you can't reverse time. He was slow and one-dimensional after the first 2 minutes. He threw some low kicks and 2 good body kicks in the first 2 mins, breaking Rich Franklin's arm with one of those, and even scored a brief takedown. But after that he relied entirely on his striking, and Rich was the beter man in the striking department during the entire match.

Liddell once again over-committed to that one big punch. Rich was just backing up, but he was still fully aware of what he did, putting Chuck's lights out with one single punch. Liddell's chin is inexistant nowadays, he was done after that first big punch. That's it for him, retire while you still have your dignity, Chuck.

Other than that, Pat Barry lacks killer instinct and cardio. He had plenty of chances to finish a slow, old Cro Cop in that first round. Already during the 2nd round, Barry was gassed and for some unexplainable reason changed his game plan: no more low kicks, but silly high kicks. Rothwell also won his match so maybe we'll see Cro Cop - Rothwell in a few months.

I was very impressed with Martin Kampmann. Did not think he would win against Paulo Thiago. I figured Thiago would take him down and submit him on the ground. Kampmann has basic boxing skills and was picking Thiago's face apart with a mean left jab, right straight. Thiago has virtually no proper boxing skills, just swing for the fence and hope he connects. But I really didn't think Kampmann's ground game was that good. If he keeps this up in his following matches, he's a possible contender for GSP's belt.

All in all, a lukewarm UFC edition. I hope 116 will be better.

DexterRiley 06-13-10 02:54 PM

Pat Barry was fighting his idol, and got a lil starstruck. He believed that Cro-cop would stand and bang with him.

http://i46.tinypic.com/6od3km.jpghttp://i48.tinypic.com/98djr9.jpg

craziest move of the night

http://i46.tinypic.com/20b01ae.jpg

Chuck was in over his head Vs. Franklin, Imo he would have easily beat Tito, but franklin is far more technical and well rounded.

This surprised however:
http://i49.tinypic.com/qo8t49.gif

Brodinski 06-13-10 05:10 PM

I already said previously in this thread that Liddell had to take Franklin down and try to ground and pound his way to a decision. The only thing Liddell has on Franklin is wrestling. He's just so one dimensional that he never uses this wrestling because he didn't need it in the past. But speed is the first thing to go as you get older. Just watch Vitali Klitschko in boxing. He's slow too, but he fights a smart fight, keeps his distance and jabs his opponent to death.

Old fighters need superior technique to keep fighting at the highest level. Look at Bernard Hopkinds. He's 45 years old and still borderline top 10 p4p. In MMA, that means that you need to fight smart and exploit your biggest quality at that point. That's why Couture is still winning fights, albeit not against top fighters (he will get destroyed by Toney though :D).

Chuck fought a dumb fight. When you lose 4 of your last 5 fights due to having fought in that fashion, it is clear that you need to try something else. Those 3 knockouts he suffered before the Franklin fight should have made it clear that he can't fight that way no longer.

But he didn't. And now he will be forced to retire. That's what happens when you fight for too long...

DexterRiley 06-13-10 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 627053)
Other news:

Now this is a fight that I am looking forward to. I cannot wait for James "Lights Out" Toney to lay out Couture.

I can already picture it: Couture looking serious, circling Toney, then tries to jump in for a double leg takedown. But Toney nicks the side of Randy's head and brutally finishes him. He will subsequently stand triumphant over the fallen MMA legend, shouting about how weak, pathetic and queer MMA really is. And I will love every second of it.

Boxing will - as fights between MMA-fighters and old, washed-up boxers have previously demonstrated - further establish its reputation as the superior combat sport.

“They talkin’ about ground game? That don’t mean nothin’ to me dog. I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil ***. You know what UFC stands for, right? Ultimate ****ing Chumps. Ultimate Fighting Cocksuckers”
James Toney is going to sleep.

it won't be close.

Brodinski 06-13-10 08:00 PM

Look at what a washed-up 48-year old Ray Mercer did to a top 10 heavyweight in Tim Sylvia at the time. It took him 9 seconds to knock out a top 10 MMA heavyweight with a single punch. That is what a guy with a top boxing pedigree can do to a guy who has sub par boxing skills.

Now, when looking at the facts, things do not look good for Toney. He is a 41 year old way past his prime boxer who has been in 83 pro boxing fights and 35 amateur fights. Toney is not exactly a power puncher either. That is to say, in boxing, he did not often knock out his opponents, let alone knock out his opponents with one blow. The reason why he could stand his ground in boxing for so long was because of his superior understanding of technique. Toney hasn't been in real shape for a fight in well over 7-8 years now. In summary, the man is a shell of what he used to be.

Enter Randy Couture. Captain America has only been in 28 professional bouts, which is nothing compared to Toney's 83. He's one of the better wrestlers to ever compete in MMA and also has a kind of boxing background. Randy is also still winning fights, albeit against a corpse (Mark Coleman) and a contender on his way back (Vera).

So Randy has a lot more going for him than James Toney. But that doesn't matter because there's only 1 way to look at this fight:
  • Couture shoots in for a double leg, takes Toney down, grounds and pounds him or submits him
  • Toney knocks out Couture
This essentially means that Couture has 50 % to score his takedown and Toney has 50 % to nick Couture's head, and believe me, that'll be all it takes. And a puncher's chance will be all Toney needs.

James "Lights Out" Toney will show the world that boxing is the superior combat sport once again. This was already demonstrated by Ray Mercer, but Toney will forever put to sleep this discussion that Dana White has created over boxing vs. MMA. Boxing has nothing to lose, Toney is washed-up and can't even hang anymore with the top 30 in any weight class he's ever competed at. UFC has billed Toney against the icon of MMA. The UFC is gambling their sport's respectability by doing this. Come August 28, Toney will be interviewed by Joe Rogan after his KO victory over Captain America, shouting profanities about how MMA is a sport for guys who could not cut it in the world of pro boxing (although Toney will probably include the words "******", "weak", "pathetic" or "queer"). And he may be right about that...:cool:

DexterRiley 06-13-10 08:07 PM

lol @ comparing Tim Sylvia to Randy Couture.

Care to put a wager on it?

DexterRiley 06-13-10 08:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKx41UdCj0

Brodinski 06-14-10 05:43 AM

All we have is this one reference point. You can turn it any way you like, but the fact still remains that a match between one of MMA top heavyweights at the time and an old washed up former boxing heavyweight world champion resulted in the MMA heavyweight being unconcious for a longer period of time than the match actually lasted.

About that video. First of all, good find. I enjoyed watching that (no sarcasm intended whatsoever). Lou DiBella talks in a pretty disdainful way about MMA, which is not really called for. Then again, Joe Rogan calls boxing a "limited form of fighting", which is also untrue as you need to use your entire body to practice boxing at a top level. Anyone who says it's limited because you can only throw punches, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Then DiBella says Joe Rogan is not a boxing fan, which is of course silly. As Rogan says, DiBella knows nothing about him. I like to believe that Rogan is a combat sports fan, much like myself.

But then Joe says the dumbest thing he can possibly say. Boxing is getting swallowed by MMA? Come again? Lets just look at today's situation. Some weeks ago, there was UFC114 which was hyped up to the max by Rampage and Rashad. The PPV numbers were 900,000. This means that this was the 4th biggest UFC event ever. Rashad Evans made $ 435,000.

A comparable event in boxing was the Mosely - Mayweather fight. The PPV numbers were 1.4 million. Mayweather pocketed a gueranteed $ 22,5 million plus a bonus for PPV subscriptions. Mosely pocketed about $ 7 million. So it's not even close compared to MMA.

MMA will always be a marginal sport compared to boxing. No one cares about MMA outside of the USA, except for a few thousand real fight fans like me. But boxing is a true global sport. The Klitschko's sell out football stadiums in germany every time they fight. Vitali Klitschko fought last month in Gelsenkirchen, Germany last month with over 45,000 people in attendance.

And as for boxing being harder and superior to MMA... Well, one of MMA's biggest legends says so himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXJhF_cgF4

DexterRiley 06-14-10 12:18 PM

Randy Couture won't stand in the centre of the octogan and trade with Toney, thats ridiculous. Its not a boxing match.

Couture will look to clinch, bring himto the cage and work the "dirty boxing" foot stomps, knees to the thighs and elbows comin out of the clinch.

The only chance Toney has is a punchers chance of catching Couture on the button early.

Which of course Coutures camp knows. The inside leg kick will be used a lot, to break down toneys ability to plant and push off.

a boxer without footwork isn't effective generally.

What rogan said that can't be denied, is the next generation of would be fighters, are training MMA .

Boxing has a shelf life of perhaps 15 years, tops.

round up 100 Average sports fans, and ask them to name as many boxers as they can, and then name as many UFC fighters.

Imo, a good number of the boxers mentioned will have long since retired (tyson sugar ray, ali, spinks and such), while,thanks largely to the UFC's exposure through spiketv the names will dwarf that of boxing.

Boxing the sport will continue on in Mexico and throughout Europe, but in the USA it will suffer as time marches on.

Brodinski 06-14-10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 629063)
Randy Couture won't stand in the centre of the octogan and trade with Toney, thats ridiculous. Its not a boxing match.

Couture will look to clinch, bring himto the cage and work the "dirty boxing" foot stomps, knees to the thighs and elbows comin out of the clinch.
This is all true. Toney's boxing style is based on shoulder rolls, footwork and superior technique. Like I already said, he is not a big puncher either. Dana White probably handpicked him because he is marketable (his big mouth) and because his style is horrible for MMA.

The only chance Toney has is a punchers chance of catching Couture on the button early.
That is exactly what is going to happen. Like I said: Mercer - Sylvia. And let's even say that Couture beats Toney. What is the result of this victory? Zuffa pockets some PPV numbers. Couture wins his easiest match ever on paper. After all, he is fighting a 41-year-old, punch drunk, out of shape boxer who has never fought a single MMA match. It's an empty victory over a guy who can no longer cut it in the boxing ring.

But what if Toney wins? MMA's credibility will be down the drain, because if James Toney can beat one of MMA's top fighters without any experience, imagine what a guy like Vitali Klitschko would do to a guy like Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin.

It's also funny how all these mindless MMA fanboys are jumping on Dana White's bandwagon. He was the one that ignited this discussion that MMA is a superior sport in comparison with boxing. And all he can get to "prove" his case is a James Toney that no decent boxing promotor wants any part of any longer. Toney is just looking for a pay day, that's the only reason why he is now settling for the petty wage (in comparison with boxing) that UFC can offer him.

What rogan said that can't be denied, is the next generation of would be fighters, are training MMA.

Boxing has a shelf life of perhaps 15 years, tops.
Boxing has been around for well over 100 years. Rogan is just talking for his shop. These so-called undeniable "facts" are based on nothing. The UFC's biggest draw is a freakshow WWE product. Boxing's main attraction is Manny Pacquiao, an elected congressman in the Philippines, and Floyd Mayweather, whose salary for a single fight is equal to the amount that all UFC main card fighters combined earn in an entire year haha.

MMA will never outgrow boxing in any continent because mainstream media ignore it. It's too "violent" and UFC only gets negative mainstream attention, i.e. Lesnar's post fight interview after his match with Mir and the Strikeforce brawl.

round up 100 Average sports fans, and ask them to name as many boxers as they can, and then name as many UFC fighters.

Imo, a good number of the boxers mentioned will have long since retired (tyson sugar ray, ali, spinks and such), while,thanks largely to the UFC's exposure through spiketv the names will dwarf that of boxing.

Boxing the sport will continue on in Mexico and throughout Europe, but in the USA it will suffer as time marches on.
Boxing will suffer in the USA? Because of spiketv's coverage? You have no evidence whatsoever to back up this claim. Boxing is covered extensively in all mainstream media. Boxing is very important to HBO and Showtime. Mainstream media love boxing. As soon as Pacquiao and Mayweather retire, they will be replaced by others. This has been the case for over 100 years.

MMA will always remain a marginal sport. It's not even legitimite in some states in the USA lol. That being said, I love watching MMA and to me, it's a legit sport that certainly has its merit in the world of combat sports. But boxing was, is and always will be THE global combat sport and the SUPERIOR combat sport.

This says it all :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalG500sxoA&playnext_from=TL&videos=c3FOV6cPwg0

LuDiNaToR 06-24-10 05:27 AM

ufc 116 prediction.

http://ctpatriot1970.files.wordpress...de-by-side.jpg

who do you guys think will win at ufc 116. ime going with shane carwin knock out i wanna say first round but ime going to go with second.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/35...116-poster.jpg

winner: carwin

earlsmoviepicks 06-24-10 11:09 AM

Even though I can't wait for this fight, Brock reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmLHAPzsANw&feature=related

LuDiNaToR 06-27-10 05:57 PM

Fedor vs. Werdum

well he can be beaten, maybe now he will go in the ufc.

Brodinski 06-27-10 08:18 PM

Of course he can be beaten. Everyone can be beaten. I just did not expect it to be Werdum to do it. This was a big upset. It's comparable to Money Mayweather losing to a guy like Ricky Hatton.

Fedor made the mistake of diving into the guard of probably the best heavyweight BJJ practitioner who still had all his wits about him. That's a recipe for disaster, especially early in the fight when you're not sweating, which makes escaping from submissions much harder.

Fedor thought he had hurt Werdum, but this was an error of judgement. He should have clearly stood back up after he escaped Werdum's first armbar attempt, but he didn't. As a result, Werdum sunk in his triangle choke that made Fedor tap. Also, I lol'd the 2nd time I watched him tap. He just tapped once instead of all the other fighters who continually tap to make sure the ref sees it.

Fedor will be back for his final fight on his Strikeforce's contract. It's uncertain though who he will face. I thought that Overeem would be the one to finally defeat Fedor, but now, I don't see that match-up happening. Werdum beat the GOAT, he should get a title shot against Ubereem. But that's just me talking, perhaps Coker will have a rematch between Fedor and Werdum. Maybe he'll even have Fedor face Antonio Silva.

One thing is certain though, Fedor is as gracious in defeat as he is in winning. He remains my favourite MMA fighter and the GOAT. I also believe that he would easily defeat Werdum in a rematch. He would never make the mistake again of diving into Werdum's guard. And as we saw in the brief exchange at the beginning of the fight, Fedor's speed and punching accuracy is still the best of the entire HW division.

I doubt though that we will ever see Fedor in the UFC. He's certainly not going to go to the UFC because he got beaten now. He may even retire after his Strikeforce contract imo.

I'll come back with my predictions for UFC 116 later, out of time now.

earlsmoviepicks 06-30-10 02:05 PM

Chael flappin his jaws again! He must get a PPV percentage....:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHthng_1MA

DexterRiley 06-30-10 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 634891)
Chael flappin his jaws again! He must get a PPV percentage....:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHthng_1MA
not to be outdone Anderson Silva brought in Steven Segal to train with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZSCIW27x0

i agree with Nico, chael is an easy fight for spider.

earlsmoviepicks 06-30-10 02:16 PM

That is awesome, thanks for that!

Brodinski 06-30-10 02:18 PM

Yeah, this is just a way of selling the fight. I bet Dana loves guys like Chael Sonnen and Rampage who run their mouth on their opponents.

However, the end result is going to be Sonnen ending up unconcious on the floor. No need for any dancing or taunting, Anderson Silva is going to ridicule this guy.

DexterRiley 06-30-10 02:39 PM

I just hope chael engages and its somewhat entertaining.

It was one think when Silva walked thru Leben when nobody knew who he was, quite another to annihilate Rich Franklin twice.

I'd like to see him vacate the title and move up to 205. lots of interesting matchups there.

as to this weekend, i've gone back and forth, and i think I'm going with Lesnar.

I know the "knock" on brock is he's never had his chin tested, however I submit. its is impossible to grow up in Rural Minnesota and not have that happen.

To hedge somewhat, If it ends in the 1st round, Carwin is probably victorious. The deeper it goes advantage lesnar imo.

Michael_10 06-30-10 03:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XX695yh9FU

LuDiNaToR 07-04-10 11:40 AM

well brock deserved it last night good fight i really cnt see anyone beating him at the moment.

Brodinski 07-04-10 12:09 PM

Yeah after he survived that early onslaught from Carwin, I thought he had a good chance of winning it. I didn't expect him to submit Crawin the way he did, but I read that Carwin was hyperventilating from fatigue after the fight. Your boy really gassed out, Lud.

We've now learned that Lesnar has a good chin. If that was Frank Mir laying on the ground with Carwin teeing off, the fight would've ended in the first round. But it's clear that Lesnar has no stand up skills whatsoever.

Cain Velasquez will be Lesnar's next opponent. I reckon that will be a good fight. Cain has a chance of winning it, because he's got fast hands and wrestling skills. He might be too small though. And he'll need to put everything in his punches, because Lesnar is a beast that appears to be very hard to ko, as Carwin found out last night.

I can see Carwin taking on Junior Dos Santos for the # 1 contendership, provided that JDS beats that fat Nelson, which shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to see a rematch between Carwin and Lesnar or if that doesn't happen, I'd love to see JDS vs Lesnar.

I don't think that Lesnar is unbeatable. Cain Velsquez will give him a run for his money for sure and then it'll probably be a fight against Carwin or JDS, which won't be easy either.

earlsmoviepicks 07-04-10 12:49 PM

Brock is a gorilla, but in all fairness he deserved the win last night for weathering the 1st round punishment from Carwin. Even so, I can't help but think he's some kind of physical freak. His 106-5 or whatever wrestling record deserves respect of course. But's he's so humungous and powerful that finding equal partners (physically) for him would seem to me like a pretty difficult task. I don't think he's about the sport of MMA all that much. His presence in the UFC to me seems more like some ancient Roman gladiator hype. They bring in the lions, they bring in the bears, and they bring in the Brock. For the sport aspect, I enjoyed the Leben/Akiyama fight much more. Gotta admit though, I did get suckered by the hype -- wanted to see the main event pretty bad too.

DexterRiley 07-04-10 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 636585)
well brock deserved it last night good fight i really cnt see anyone beating him at the moment.
The only one currenly in the UFC stabel is Cain Velasquez, though look to see both overeem and werdum to be snapped up by the end of the year.

heavyweight division is finally shaping up.

Carwin vs anyone in his next fight will be a bloodbath.

He's gotta take cardio training seriously though.

LuDiNaToR 07-04-10 04:39 PM

Cain Velasquez i really think is to small as brod said. Brock has to drop weight to get to 265 but cane only weighs like 240 if you want another beast to fight brock get bobby lashley in there haha

Brodinski 07-04-10 06:10 PM

I genuinely believe that Overeem is the strongest and most fierce MMA fighter there currently is. He has got K1-level striking, killer knees and great muay thai. Did you guys see how he just tossed Bret Rogers to the ground with ease? That was a 265 pound guy he just threw to the ground like he was nothing. It wasn't even a takedown.

I've said it before on this forum, Ubereem is imo the biggest thread to Fedor out of all the heavyweights. Ok, he lost to Werdum, but that's mainly because he made a bad decision during the fight. Not to take anything away from Werdum, that was a terrific win, but if a rematch is finalized, Fedor is going to maul this guy.

That being said, I think Overeem is the only guy who could beat Fedor right now even if Fedor makes no mistakes whatsoever. And yes, that includes guys like Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos. I know it's a bold statement, perhaps you guys will disagree...

Oh, and Dexter: Werdum signed a 3 fight extension to his Strikeforce contract so he's not going anywhere soon. I also think that Overeem has some fights left on his contract. Besides, the UFC only signs guys that fight in their organisation. Overeem will always want to fight in DREAM and perhaps also K1, so I doubt we'll see him in the UFC anytime soon, unless Dana offers him a big contract, which is unlikely seeing as he's not really got a big fanbase in the USA

DexterRiley 07-05-10 03:31 PM

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...z52/carwin.jpg

LuDiNaToR 07-05-10 05:08 PM

ufc 119 looks set to be brock vs cane glad its happening straight away.

DexterRiley 07-05-10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 637118)
ufc 119 looks set to be brock vs cane glad its happening straight away.
link?

Brodinski 07-05-10 07:41 PM

No way that it's gonna be 119. That takes place on September 25. There is no chance that Brock returns to the octagonthat fast. A realistic date for the Lesnar-Velasquez fight is December.

Having rewatched most of the fights, I have to say that these were all ***** matches in terms of the skills that were on display. I'll limit myself to the main event, which was dubbed as "the biggest heavyweight fight in UFC history" and the battle for the top spot in the MMA heavyweight division. And what did we see?

Brock got hit with one clean shot and backed up in a straight line with his arms in front of his head like a kid from elementary school who is getting hit by the school bully.

Then there was Carwin who gassed after 1 round. Can anyone please explain to me how it is possible that a top 5 MMA (top 3 UFC) heavyweight gasses after throwing punches in a downward angle at a guy for about a minute and a half? He was done after that first round, totally gassed out, he fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. He can say his cardio is fine and what not, fact is that he was totally out of breath after that first round. Did he train cardio at all? It's hilarious to see how some retards on MMA forums were saying that it's "normal" for someone to gas out after throwing punches for 2 minutes. Oh really? Then why are boxers able to keep going for 36 minutes of throwing punches at each other?

Were these the best HWs the UFC has to offer? Uncle Dana can talk all he wants about how great and exciting that fight was, the truth is that skill-wise, this was utter garbage. It might of been exciting for jocks and teenyboppers who just enjoy seeing 2 gorrila's taking each other on, but I was mostly thinking: why is Brock backing up like a little girl instead of looking at Carwin who was swinging for the fences with his chin up. If he had boxing fundamentals, he could of caught Shane with a mean counterpunch that would of saved him that 2 minutes worth of punishment.

The truth is that the 2 best HWs are in Strikeforce right now. Fedor and Overeem would tool these 2 guys, especially Overeem. Overeem is not a product of the UFC hype machine like Brock, Carwin and very soon Cain and JDS, but he would destroy these guys. It wouldn't even be close...

Of course, I'm not entirely negative of the UFC roster. They have the best LHW, MW, WW and LW. But the best HW? Not a chance. They never did.

downthesun 07-05-10 08:26 PM

I've just come back to the forum after ages so haven't really read through the thread fully. Just some thoughts on the UFC, being a big MMA fan:

I think Overeem is a serious threat to any heavyweight in the UFC, if they ever sign him they could have some great matches. His knees would be lethal for Brock and may deter him from going for the very early take down. Having said that, I think Cain will be a more serious threat for Lesnar even though I have him taking the fight by 2nd round TKO. JDS is the guy I really want to see taking Brock on, he's got KO power and good Jits. I see Brock using the same strategy he used against Mir though and taking him to the ground and staying close to him, not allowing him to lock on any subs.

On a sidenote, Downthesun's MMA Prospects:

Lightweight: Ross Pearson, Evan Dunham, Joe Ellenberger
Welterweight: Ben Askren, John Hathaway, Johny Hendricks, Rory McDonald
Middleweight: Gerald Harris
LHW: Phil Davis, Ryan Bader, Jon Jones
Heavyweight: Todd Duffee, Cole Konrad, Chad Corvin, Damian Grabowski

DexterRiley 07-05-10 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Truth is Strikeforce is considered the B circuit.

Top to bottem teh UFC simply has the best fighters, really that isn't debateable.

saying what fedor would or would not do is moot as he is refusing to step into the octagan to fight the best.

did the ufc hype machine beat overeem or did Lidell?

let me guess, you are a Pride Fan bois from way back.

as to the other bouts, Leben didn't impress you?

He'll kill Wandy. Real Talk.

downthesun 07-05-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 637150)
Were these the best HWs the UFC has to offer? Uncle Dana can talk all he wants about how great and exciting that fight was, the truth is that skill-wise, this was utter garbage. It might of been exciting for jocks and teenyboppers who just enjoy seeing 2 gorrila's taking each other on, but I was mostly thinking: why is Brock backing up like a little girl instead of looking at Carwin who was swinging for the fences with his chin up. If he had boxing fundamentals, he could of caught Shane with a mean counterpunch that would of saved him that 2 minutes worth of punishment.

The truth is that the 2 best HWs are in Strikeforce right now. Fedor and Overeem would tool these 2 guys, especially Overeem. Overeem is not a product of the UFC hype machine like Brock, Carwin and very soon Cain and JDS, but he would destroy these guys. It wouldn't even be close...

Of course, I'm not entirely negative of the UFC roster. They have the best LHW, MW, WW and LW. But the best HW? Not a chance. They never did.
Regardless of how much the UFC hypes him, JDS is the real deal, he's taken out Gonzaga, Werdum, Struve, Yvel and CroCop. I'd back him to take out Nelson and I'd take him over Overeem.

I don't buy in to all this Overeem hype as well, he got absoloutly destroyed by Shogun twice, hasn't beaten anyone great other than CroCop and Belfort. He's also lost to Werdum, Lil Nog and Chuck although that was back in the day.

LuDiNaToR 07-06-10 06:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_119
http://www.mmaforreal.com/2010/7/6/1...rgeting-lesnar
http://insidefights.com/2010/07/05/u...z-for-ufc-119/

not officially announced but it does look set brock wants strainght back in.

DexterRiley 07-06-10 03:19 PM

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get him back in so soon. I think they'll save it for the monster show they do every year round the christmas holidays.

----------------------------------

I'm not sure if Toney, is stoned, drunk, or simply punch-drunk. he's got the speech patterns of a 4 yr old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Spg2vn-XM&feature=player_embedded

Brodinski 07-06-10 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 637163)
The Truth is Strikeforce is considered the B circuit.

Top to bottem teh UFC simply has the best fighters, really that isn't debateable.

saying what fedor would or would not do is moot as he is refusing to step into the octagan to fight the best.

did the ufc hype machine beat overeem or did Lidell?

let me guess, you are a Pride Fan bois from way back.

as to the other bouts, Leben didn't impress you?

He'll kill Wandy. Real Talk.
Yeah, I know that Strikeforce isn't really held in as high regard as the UFC. I also said that the UFC does indeed have the best fighters in every division. Except the HW division. Overeem would kill all these UFC top heavyweights. Fedor would as well imo.

Dexter, you criticize what I say, but your counter arguments aren't really relevant. Yes, Fedor refused to sign with the UFC, because the UFC wouldn't let M1 co-promote the events that Fedor is in. It's not so that Fedor is afraid to fight these top guys in order to keep his # 1 spot at the HW division. Fedor would fight anyone. It's just because of his management that he couldn't reach a deal with the UFC.

Yes, Overeem got beaten by Liddell and Werdum and Lil Nog and Shogun. At LHW or MW. Ubereem has stated numerous times that he feels much better at HW, because he always had a lot of difficulty to cut the weight to make 205. This often caused him to gas. At HW, he no longer has that problem and his skill set has only improved.

Have you guys seen his K1 fights? The guy is a beast. He has a super defence, K1-level striking, his knees have destroyed top K1 guys, his muay thai clinch is excellent and he has submission skills. He is the complete war machine.

What does Brock have? He's a big, strong guy who can take a punch and has some wrestling skills. Other than that, he has nothing. Is that the guy who is supposed to be the # 1 MMA HW nowadays? A guy who backs up in a straight line like a little kid after getting hit with 1 clean shot? Is Carwin supposed to be top 5? A guy who can't make it past round 1 without gassing?

And Toney is punch-drunk. You can't understand half of what he's saying. That's what 83 professional boxing bouts will do to you.

DexterRiley 07-06-10 08:28 PM

Fedor is a small heavyweight. His greatness is all behind him. Thats why you won't see him in the UFC. Fedor the brand is based upon him being an unstoppable cyborg.

Maybe the Fertitas should employ the chicken strategy employed by Apollo's handlers in Rocky 2.

I've been hearing rumblings from some that would like to see Carwin face Cro-cop next.

Mirko is a perfect example of a stud k-1 guy that simply cannot xcell in the cage. he hasn't evolved past devastating leg kicks. thats all he's got, and imo in todays HW class where guys are 250 plus, that simply isnt enough.

What does Brock have? he has the HW strap of the most recognized and respected MMA organization in the world.

And he's getten better. he's still a few years from his prime. That he gave up full mount to go for the choke, to make taht split second decision, displayed a huge maturation to his game.

downthesun 07-06-10 09:27 PM

If Fedor seriously wanted to fight the best heavyweights in the world he would have made sure his management sorted out a deal with the UFC. M1 are a bunch of clowns, thinking a company like the UFC which has worked for years to build it's brand name and fighter roster would share some of it's ppv revenue with them. Dana White said the deal they offered him was one of the largest they've ever offered and Fedor decided to turn it down. I do believe he would do extremely well in the UFC but I do think the likes of Cain, Lesnar and JDS would cause Fedor problems.

DexterRiley 07-06-10 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 637458)
Fedor is a small heavyweight. His greatness is all behind him. Thats why you won't see him in the UFC. Fedor the brand is based upon him being an unstoppable cyborg.

Maybe the Fertitas should employ the chicken strategy employed by Apollo's handlers in Rocky 2.

What does Brock have? he has the HW strap of the most recognized and respected MMA organization in the world.

And he's getten better. he's still a few years from his prime. That he gave up full mount to go for the choke, to make taht split second decision, displayed a huge maturation to his game.
Originally Posted by downthesun (Post 637493)
If Fedor seriously wanted to fight the best heavyweights in the world he would have made sure his management sorted out a deal with the UFC. M1 are a bunch of clowns, thinking a company like the UFC which has worked for years to build it's brand name and fighter roster would share some of it's ppv revenue with them. Dana White said the deal they offered him was one of the largest they've ever offered and Fedor decided to turn it down. I do believe he would do extremely well in the UFC but I do think the likes of Cain, Lesnar and JDS would cause Fedor problems.
Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 637434)

Dexter, you criticize what I say, but your counter arguments aren't really relevant. Yes, Fedor refused to sign with the UFC, because the UFC wouldn't let M1 co-promote the events that Fedor is in. It's not so that Fedor is afraid to fight these top guys in order to keep his # 1 spot at the HW division. Fedor would fight anyone. It's just because of his management that he couldn't reach a deal with the UFC.
Does m1 have any clients besides Fedor?

Does Fedor work for M1 or does M! work for Fedor?

lets not let be naiive here.

downthesun 07-06-10 10:32 PM

Fedor is part owner of the company along with that gimp Vadim Finkelstein, if he really wanted to fight in the UFC he could, he chooses not to and instead wants to fight for Scott Coker who's entertained the idea of bringing Dave Batista into Strikeforce.

I know M1 used to manage Gegard Mousasi as well but he left them sometime last year, obviously realised that it was in his best interest to be managed by a company that had his best interest in mind when agreeing to deals.

LuDiNaToR 07-07-10 05:43 AM

i really think brock would beat fedor, i think fedor has just been hyped up all these years, brock is just to powerful for anyone if he gets you to the floor its over. ime saying this and i aint a brock fan buts its the truth.

SammyJ88 07-07-10 07:19 AM

Damn boyz got skillz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nxXbCz1SAM

Brodinski 07-07-10 02:25 PM

Downthesun and Dexter: you guys make some really good arguments as to M1. I too think they are a bunch of clowns who are making it seem like Fedor is scared to fight the best there is. But the truth is that Fedor doesn't care who he fights. There's a lot of factors playing along and given that Fedor owns a part of M1 and M1 wants to co-promote events, he is never going to sign with the UFC imo.

I think it's a damn shame. I think everyone does. The people who believe in Fedor (me) want to see him compete with the big UFC guys. I think he would excel against all of them. JDS would probably give him the biggest trouble, as downthesun already mentioned. The people who think he's hyped (Dexter, Lud) want to see him get beaten by the UFC guys.

But I'm really REALLY hoping that Ubereem signs with UFC in the near future. Because he would toy with those UFC guys and I'm not even kidding. He treated that tyre mecanic of a Brett Rogers like a ragdoll. He is still undefeated at HW, although he hasn't faced the best of competition. All I can say is, this guy is the truth and I think he is the only one who can stop Fedor even if Fedor competes at his best.

@ Dexter: Yes, Lesnar has the HW belt of the most popular MMA organisation. But my point is: What does that mean when you see that his stand-up is comparable to that of a 6 year old elementary boy? Carwin is an OK striker on MMA level. Imagine what JDS would do to him? And now imagine what Overeem would do to him.

If you back up in a straight line with your hands in front of your head, you're going down against Overeem. He'll just approach, throw a few punches, go into a muay thai clinch and knee you in the head.

It'll look kind of like this (Teixera is a top 10 HW in K1 who is proficient in the stand-up department compared to Brock):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh10VvPFV8M

downthesun 07-07-10 02:37 PM

Brett Rogers is one of the most overhyped people on this planet, he had one fight where he blasted through Arlovski and suddenly he's the next best thing at HW. I still believe Fedor is the greatest heavyweight of all time, you don't beat the likes of CroCop, Nog, Coleman etc without being amazing. Before he fought Werdum he was atop my P4P list. I genuinly believe he'd fight his way to a title shot very soon if he joined the UFC and I think a Fedor v Brock fight would be a lot closer than most people think. Unfortunatly, whilst GSP and Anderson Silva will always be remembered for having fought the best guys in their divisions (WW and Middleweight are two divisions in which the UFC pretty much has a monopoly on), the same can't be said for Fedor. Also, I think Silva and GSP will beat Shields if and when they face him. I can't wait to see Silva slap that hick Sonnen (R) silly.

As much as everyone loves him and touts him as the best MMA fighter ever, until he beats the boys in the UFC, his claim of being the best heavyweight in the world can never be substantiated. However when the UFC's top P4P boys retire they can say for legit that they beat the best fighters out there.

LuDiNaToR 07-09-10 07:45 AM

ufc 119 card

Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
Light Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Ryan Bader
Lightweight bout: Sean Sherk vs. Evan Dunham
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens
Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Joe Doerksen

downthesun 07-09-10 09:09 AM

That card is shaping up really well, Bader and Dunham are two huge prospects, I think if they win their fights they could be in line for title shots or at worst one fight away from a title shot. Guillard v Stephens has potential to be FOTN and I'm looking forward to seeing Mir or Big Nog rebound from their last fights.

DexterRiley 07-09-10 12:04 PM

[quote=Brodinski;637890]Downthesun and Dexter: you guys make some really good arguments as to M1. I too think they are a bunch of clowns who are making it seem like Fedor is scared to fight the best there is. But the truth is that Fedor doesn't care who he fights. There's a lot of factors playing along and given that Fedor owns a part of M1 and M1 wants to co-promote events, he is never going to sign with the UFC imo.

I think it's a damn shame. I think everyone does. The people who believe in Fedor (me) want to see him compete with the big UFC guys. I think he would excel against all of them. JDS would probably give him the biggest trouble, as downthesun already mentioned. The people who think he's hyped (Dexter, Lud) want to see him get beaten by the UFC guys.

No, what i want is the best vs the best= the best fights. the horsebleep fanboi allegiance thing from the old days when ufc and PRIDE competed for talent is silly.

Fedor is scared. and he should be. this isnt 2005. Fedor has seen once dominant scary dudes such as Nog and Cro-cop get handled.

He is scared.

But I'm really REALLY hoping that Ubereem signs with UFC in the near future. Because he would toy with those UFC guys and I'm not even kidding. He treated that tyre mecanic of a Brett Rogers like a ragdoll. He is still undefeated at HW, although he hasn't faced the best of competition. All I can say is, this guy is the truth and I think he is the only one who can stop Fedor even if Fedor competes at his best.

@ Dexter: Yes, Lesnar has the HW belt of the most popular MMA organisation. But my point is: What does that mean when you see that his stand-up is comparable to that of a 6 year old elementary boy? Carwin is an OK striker on MMA level. Imagine what JDS would do to him? And now imagine what Overeem would do to him.

Have you ever seen Matt Hughes 1st 5 fights? his standup is terrible. His game evolved, as is Brocks. Thats the scary part.

If you back up in a straight line with your hands in front of your head, you're going down against Overeem. He'll just approach, throw a few punches, go into a muay thai clinch and knee you in the head.

Brodinski 07-09-10 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 638692)
No, what i want is the best vs the best= the best fights. the horsebleep fanboi allegiance thing from the old days when ufc and PRIDE competed for talent is silly.
Yes, I think everyone wants the best vs the best. I'm not a Pride fanboy from back in the day. I got interested in MMA after Pride was already finished. I don't support organisations; I support (a few) fighters.

Fedor is scared. and he should be. this isnt 2005. Fedor has seen once dominant scary dudes such as Nog and Cro-cop get handled. He is scared.
This is a ridiculous argument. You're just fishing now. Fedor isn't in the UFC because that organisation didn't meet his management's demands. That does not make Fedor scared to enter the UFC. Fedor should face Overeem sometime in the near future. He's better than all those UFC HWs, so if Fedor should "fear" anyone, it should be Overeem.

Have you ever seen Matt Hughes 1st 5 fights? his standup is terrible. His game evolved, as is Brocks. Thats the scary part.
The guy has no striking skills whatsoever. You can forget about him evolving towards being a striker like JDS or even Carwin. I see no maturity in his game. He submitted a guy who was so out of gas that he didn't defend Brock's takedown and made no attempt to sprawl / throw punches from the bottom. Anyone can submit a guy like that. Carwin was done in round 2.

So I'm definitely still skeptical of Brock's abilities. He's still overhyped to me, as are most UFC HWs.

DexterRiley 07-09-10 02:19 PM

Really, you see no maturity in his game? for real?

He took Carwin down ..passed guard and mounted. If his game hadn't evolved, or matured if you prefer, we would have seen hammer fists, and maybe the odd elbow, and thats about it.

He gave up the dominant position to go lock in the choke.

haters gonna hate all day, but to say he hasn't evolved is retarded.

Brodinski 07-09-10 03:01 PM

Choking out a guy that is out of gas is not evolving. If we could see on our tv screens that Carwin looked gassed out, Brock saw it for sure. That arm triangle was the most efficient way to end the fight. Carwin didn't do anything at all from the bottom, so Brock was basically doing a training submission on a sparring partner. Anyone who calls himself an MMA fighter should know that move (except for the washed up, punch-drunk semi-retired boxers who only need their fists, as will be demonstrated by Toney).

Just pulling your leg a bit with that last comment, but I genuinely think that Brock is a person with a VERY limited skill set. He is a big, powerful guy with a good chin and wrestling skills. And he has proven that he can choke out a gassed-out 265 pound man.

If thinking this way makes me "retarded", then I stand by my retardedness.

DexterRiley 07-09-10 03:37 PM

you are retarded. wear the badge proud.

Brodinski 07-09-10 04:22 PM

What is your problem, man? I did nothing to provoke you to flame at me. I stated my opinion and substantiated it. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. It's ok for you not to agree with me, but there is no need for immature behaviour like this. You can save this for Sherdog where this type of behaviour is normal and probably fashionable.

But really, it just makes you look like a 12-year old keyboard warrior who wants to sound cool to the other posters he probably looks up to.

downthesun 07-09-10 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 638722)
Just pulling your leg a bit with that last comment, but I genuinely think that Brock is a person with a VERY limited skill set. He is a big, powerful guy with a good chin and wrestling skills. And he has proven that he can choke out a gassed-out 265 pound man.
Incorrect.

He's also decisioned a seasoned vetran, taken out a UFC legend who put up a valiant fight but eventually succumbed to Brock's gorilla fists. He also took down a man who is well known for his excellent BJJ skills and arguably one of the most dangerous men in the world off his back and ground and pounded him to a point where he had nothing left. He's also evolving his stand up skills and learning how to lock on a few subs. Brock is a super athlete and sportsman, he went from WWE star to the NFL and was picked up by the Vikings. The guy is a sponge, he absorbs so much and learns very quickly. Whilst I don't expect to see him lock on a flying armbar on Big Nog anytime soon, his growth is undeniable.

When will the Brock hate stop? Mir took out one of the most respected MMA practioners in Big Nog and then got schooled by Lesnar, Randy has bought and pretty much beaten the best around and bar a few moments didn't offer much against Brock either. Perhaps when he takes Cain down and pummels him, people will start to respect Lesnar.

DexterRiley 07-10-10 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 638722)
If thinking this way makes me "retarded", then I stand by my retardedness.
Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 638752)
What is your problem, man? I did nothing to provoke you to flame at me. I stated my opinion and substantiated it. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. It's ok for you not to agree with me, but there is no need for immature behaviour like this. You can save this for Sherdog where this type of behaviour is normal and probably fashionable.

But really, it just makes you look like a 12-year old keyboard warrior who wants to sound cool to the other posters he probably looks up to.
what are you talking about dude. do you stand by your retardedmess or not? make up your mind.

LuDiNaToR 07-10-10 09:45 AM

brock vs cane is october the 23rd

Brodinski 07-10-10 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 638894)
what are you talking about dude. do you stand by your retardedmess or not? make up your mind.
There's a difference between speaking figuratively and literally. Clearly, this was not meant to be taken literally, hence why I put "retarded" between quotation marks.

Awaiting an apology.

The Next Big Thing 07-10-10 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 638730)
you are retarded. wear the badge proud.
haha for some reason I just cant take you seriously dude, maybe its Steven Baldwin grinning at me.

DexterRiley 07-11-10 12:53 AM

Recent one hour long interview with GSP on MMAJunkie.com, talks about TUF, Koscheck, training, FIFA and more.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8179919
http://www.fighting-mma.com/images/g...h-koscheck.jpg

SammyJ88 07-12-10 11:57 PM

I went to a mates Brazilian Jiu Jitsu comp on sunday and as we were leaving we saw Soa "The Hulk" Palelei out the front just by himself, my mate got a photo and autograph. We were talking to him for a little bit and he said he has upcoming fights with Kimbo Slice and Andrei Arlovski:eek:

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/f...soapalelei.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFhJaQWYEs

DexterRiley 07-13-10 10:03 AM

he hasn't fought in over a year. did he have surgery or something?

Kimbo is a can, but he may have his hands full with Arlovski.

downthesun 07-13-10 01:39 PM

A can? Could a can do this?

http://i50.tinypic.com/22gxmx.jpg

DexterRiley 07-13-10 01:41 PM

Could a can do what?

Kimbo is a can.

downthesun 07-13-10 01:48 PM

I was just kidding btw, Kimbo is def a can and with that knee isnt going to be able to compete with anyone who has mildly decent leg kicks. Im glad Dana let go of him so soon and didnt try to cash in on him anymore, he was given his chane and failed miserably. That Houston fight was a disgrace.

earlsmoviepicks 08-09-10 03:53 PM

Chael Sonnen vs Silva UFC 117 (SPOILER BELOW)

Just saw Sonnen vs Silva-- great fight-- I was rooting for Sonnen and he did exactly what he said he was going to do for 4 solid rounds, keeping Silva on his back and pounding him. Then at the end, for a split second, I thought I saw him lose focus for a sec and Silva took advantage and got him in a choke. Tough luck for Sonnen, but a good lesson for him on the need to finish opponents, especially dangerous ones like Silva. Hope they do a rematch, should be a good one as well!

LuDiNaToR 08-29-10 08:30 AM

Frankie Edgar wow i cant believe he beat penn again that was a big shock for me, also hahaha unlucky james taps toney!!!!!

JakeScotts 08-29-10 08:33 AM

i knew james big bitch toney would tap.. he didnt really expect a full stand up match against a mma fighter? but i guess all he cared for was the money. and if he won he wanted a shot at brock ? LOL gtfo

Michael_10 08-29-10 08:53 AM

Ufc.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm? :rolleyes: I watch a Ufc match every time I go out on a friday night! The art of Boxing is where it's at..;)

DexterRiley 08-29-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 627053)
Other news:

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 628724)
James Toney is going to sleep.

it won't be close.
[quote=Brodinski;628805]

hahahahahahahahaha

LuDiNaToR 09-01-10 04:46 PM

mir vs cro cop wat do use think

DexterRiley 09-01-10 04:52 PM

its an interesting fight.

Mir had some sucess in stand-up vs Big Nog (recovering from staph), but was thorougly decimated by Carwin.

Ground game leans heavy to Mir though. Cro-cop hasn't really made the adhustment to teh cage from the ring.

Mir by Sub, late 1st or 2nd round.

The Prestige 09-07-10 12:27 PM

Definitely an interesting fight. Cro Cop had an epic win against Pat Barry. It was a hard fought fight and I thought it showed he could hang in there with the division's top fighters. It's been awhile since CC has faced someone like Mir, though. He got owned on the ground AND standing up by Gonzaga, but I don't think Mir has Gonzaga's aggression. Standing up, Cro Cop can work Mir because as good as Mir's stand up has gotten, he'll never be able to compete with a guy who used to be a regular at K1.

Not defending Mir's stand up either, but the only reason Carwin smashed him was because he foolishly got himself into a clinch situation with the bigger, much stronger man. I honestly think Mir overlooked the clinch and that itself cost him the fight. Not taking anything away from Carwin, but Mir chose the worst strategy.

Anyways, this fight depends on whether Mir can get CC down. If he gets CC down, then it could be a flash sub that ends Cop's night otherwise I foresee another high kick on CC's highlight reel.

DexterRiley 09-07-10 01:33 PM

epic gets tossed about wayyy 2 easy.

Crocop can thank his lucky stars Barry was in full on Fan boi man crush mode, and refused to ground and pound when cro-cop hit the floor.

Pat barry is hardly a tip HW, Mir will finish Mirko.

The Prestige 09-07-10 07:12 PM

Oh check out the Cro Cop hater. :p Nah man, gotta disagree with you. Barry is a VERY dangerous Heavweight. Don't be fooled by his size, he has crisp striking and can end a fight on the feet with a min. For Cro Cop to hang in there and sub him like that was no easy feet. I know Barry doesn't have the ground game of a Big Nog or Mir, but he is somewhat young and hungry up and comer.

Your underrated Cro Cop's sub defence, too. CC got caught by a flash sub from Big Nog YEARS ago. Not saying Mir doesn't have a chance to take it to the ground, but I don't think it'll be easy for him. Mirko has a hell of a sprawl and KO power in both legs and his left straight.

DexterRiley 09-07-10 10:37 PM

Mirko was a beast in Pride.

in teh octogan, he's been meh at best.

JakeScotts 09-07-10 10:41 PM

although mir is my favourite heavy weight , in the fight with carwin im pretty sure he would've got knocked out anyway , he should've taken him to the ground asap... but he did'nt.. anyway

my prediction frank mir def cro cop via sub 1st round.
mir's stand up game isn't bad at all. but whenn he gets cro cop to the ground. its easily over.

Brodinski 09-08-10 01:16 PM

Cro Cop is old and looked his age in all his UFC fights. Mir should win this easily.

Furthermore, I think Bader is going to beat Lil Nog. This kid needs a big win and Lil nog fits the bill as he looked weakened in his last fight, which he lost imo.

All in all a very underwhelming card. An event that is headlined by 2 guys that can't hang with the top anymore is trash. UFC 120 is ***** as well, but at least I get to see Sexyama sex up Bisping some.

@ Dex: You were right, Toney got his ass handed to him by Couture. I basically just wanted Toney to knock out Randy, but knew it would be very difficult for a fat and washed-up Toney who just came to the UFC to collect a paycheck he was no longer offered by boxing promotors. I was a member of Sherdog because of its excellent boxing forum. At least, it was until it got flooded by MMA fanboys who had nothing to contribute but things like: BJ Penn vs Manny Pacquiao: would he make it? I got sick of it pretty soon, started trolling the heavyweights hard (saying how wrestling is for gays who like to exchange bodily fluids, ha) and got banned shortly after by some dick mod from the heavies. I just carried that sentiment over here and wrote some seemingly educated crap about how Toney was going to KO captain America, which of course didn't happen. And you being a realist jumped all over me which instigated me to troll some more :cool:. All in good fun though.

What did you guys think of Silva's hail mary win vs Sonnen? Did he look ***** because of his injury or is his age catching up with him?

DexterRiley 09-08-10 01:33 PM

I think the injury played a factor, but Sonnen's Style is the way to get to Silva.

Hard to believe Sonnen wasn't conscious of defending the Triangle though.

Thats how Forrest got him. dang near carbon copy.

Brodinski 09-10-10 04:58 AM

Yeah, Sonnen's style is definitely the way to get Anderson. Hendo tried it like that as well, but also got caught in a sub. Also, Hendo was much less impressive than Sonnen. Chael didn't stop for one second in that fight. He wanted it bad, imposed his will and pretty much had his way with Silva for 4 and a half rounds. It's certainly the best Sonnen I've ever seen.

But the other fights on the card I didn't like so much. Dos Santos vs Jelly Belly was an embarassment. That fatso got used as a heavy bag for 3 rounds by a guy with novice boxing skills. JDS should've finished that undertrained countryboy in round 1. It was funny to see though how Nelson desperately tried to land that big right hand, and came pretty close to it for that matter. Alves looked like he came in to collect a paycheck and as usual, Fitch bored everyone with his grinding. Luckily Hughes did something cool to Almeida.

LuDiNaToR 09-16-10 06:52 AM

just been watching over some of cain velasquez fights, i think he can beat brock ime really looking forward to this event.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content..._velasquez.jpg

Winner: cain velasquez

LuDiNaToR 09-18-10 10:52 AM

ufc 123 announced rampage vs machida and penn vs hughs

DexterRiley 09-18-10 11:06 AM

is Penn moving up to 170 or catch weight i wonder.

LuDiNaToR 09-18-10 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 676286)
is Penn moving up to 170 or catch weight i wonder.
i think penn will lose this :(

The Prestige 09-21-10 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 676312)
i think penn will lose this :(
Disagree. A motivated and healthy BJ Penn can beat most LW and WW. I know Hughes beat him in their last fight, but Penn had a freak accident by the midway point of the fight and was basically a sitting duck. In this fight, he should be healthy and showed smoke through Hughes just like he did first time round. Penn, stylistically, is a bad match up for Hughes. He's nowhere near as big or strong, but he is faster, a FAR superior striker and has excellent takedown defence. If Hughes can't get him down, it will be a short night for him. And even if he can, Penn can use his BJJ to great defence and sweep him to an advantageous position.

Brodinski 09-21-10 05:56 PM

Sonnen positive for steroid substance.

I guess Chael has just given himself cancer too...

DexterRiley 09-22-10 10:51 AM

Belfort is cursed or somethen, idk

anyway Vitor is out of UFC 122, Nate Marqaurdt steps in.

Brodinski 09-22-10 02:41 PM

I read that Belfort is going to fight Anderson in January and that the winner of Marquardt - Okami is next in line.

DexterRiley 09-22-10 03:06 PM

where did you read that brod?

my understanding was the winner of belfort okami got Anderson.

i would think Nate has the same opportunity belfort had.

Incidentally, i would taken Vitor over okami, and i like Nate in this matchup as well.