Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I am going to watch at least one film everyday for a year... (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=34301)

Rhys 01-01-14 06:11 PM

I am going to watch at least one film everyday for a year...

5 Attachment(s)
I am going to try something that I have wanted to try before. The new year starts tomorrow and with me being a film student at college and hopefully starting a film course in September at university I want to set myself a challenge to watch at least one film every single day that I haven't seen before until 1st January 2015.

I will use this thread to track my progress and to talk about the films I have watched. If you want to suggest a film for me to watch then please, feel free to do so. Thank You!

I will be listing every film I have watched that day including films that I have watched before. I will also be stating the amount of minutes the film runs for so I can add it all up at the end of the year.

December

1st December - Ben X (93 mins) & Primer (77 mins)
2nd December - The Imitation Game (114 mins) & Chocolate Strawberry Vanilla (85 mins)
3rd December - Hidden (117 mins) & Elephant (81 mins)
4th December - Repulsion (105 mins)
5th December - Point Break (122 mins) & Flipped (90 mins)
6th December - Hope Springs (100 mins)
7th December - Carnage (80 mins)
8th December - It's a Wonderful Life (130 mins)
9th December - Win Win (106 mins) & 2001: A Space Odyssey (142 mins)
10th December - Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974 (102 mins), Christmas with The Kranks (99 mins) & How the Grinch Stole Christmas (99 mins)
11th December - The Keep (96 mins)
12th December - American Beauty (122 mins) & A Christmas Story (94 mins)
13th December - Rebel Without a Cause (111 mins)
14th December - Arthur Christmas (97 mins)
15th December - The Wind Rises (126 mins)
16th December - A Scanner Darkly (100 mins)
17th December - The Ice Harvest (92 mins)
18th December - Christmas Evil (100 mins)
19th December - Kiki's Delivery Service (103 mins)
20th December - Kramer Vs. Kramer (105 mins)
21st December - Howl's Moving Castle (119 mins) & Love Actually (130 mins)
22nd December - A Merry Friggin' Christmas (88 mins)

Current Total: 494 Films = 51722 mins approx.
Most in a single day: 16th November - 667 mins

Archives

June 2014
October 2014
November 2014

Rhys 01-01-14 06:18 PM

Re: I am going to watch at least one film everyday for a year...

1st January 2014

Face/Off (1997) - a great concept with two great actors playing lead roles. It was strange to see Nicolas Cage as a villain as I can't remember the last time I have seen him as a villain. John Travolta played his role well too. I found the mirror scene when they are both looking into the mirror with their guns drawn quite interesting and it is probably one of the most memorable scenes within the movie from my perspective.
My Rating: 7/10

Olympus Has Fallen (2013) - a great movie which I think is underrated where IMDb is concerned. It was nice to see both Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman in this film with them both being great actors. The story was pretty interesting and the movie was pretty much action packed throughout and wasn't over the top.
My Rating: 7.5/10

The Last Stand (2013) - an enjoyable movie. Acting is good for the most part but sometimes can be cheesy. The film is funny at times, especially when Johnny Knoxville is on screen. However it's not very realistic and it's not something I would want to watch twice. The movie would hardly be bearable without Arnold Schwarzenegger being in it.
My Rating: 6/10

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-01-14 06:23 PM

Have you been invited to dinner parties with the British royal family?

Mr Minio 01-01-14 06:24 PM

I wish I was able to watch at least one every day. Studying sometimes makes me watch only one or two movies a week, but then during holidays I watch much more so it's still almost like one film every day.

Guaporense 01-01-14 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1009958)
I will use this thread to track my progress and to talk about the films I have watched. If you want to suggest a film for me to watch then please, feel free to do so. Thank You!
Watch the movies in my top 200 that you haven't watched already. The link is on my signature. I recommend the ones ranked higher over the ones ranked lower (I guess you might already deduce that).

Mmmm Donuts 01-01-14 07:27 PM

Good luck buddy. I know I could never do this...

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-01-14 07:29 PM

Good Luck. I'll be on the same schedule, when I sober up.

Soul Surfer 01-01-14 07:46 PM

Good Luck with your challenge. I look forward to hearing about the movies you have seen.

Lucas 01-01-14 07:53 PM

Good luck with the challenge bud. My goal for the year is to watch at least 5 per week.

Rhys 01-01-14 08:17 PM

Thanks for the support guys!

I just finished watching another movie that I haven't seen before. I'll add it to the list.

Here is my short review.

The Last Stand (2013) - An enjoyable movie. Acting is good for the most part but sometimes can be cheesy. The film is funny at times, especially when Johnny Knoxville is on screen. However it's not very realistic and it's not something I would want to watch twice. The movie would hardly be bearable without Arnold Schwarzenegger being in it.
My Rating: 5.5/10

gandalf26 01-01-14 08:21 PM

Hi there fellow cinema aficianado! Welcome to the forums.

Arcanis 01-01-14 08:22 PM

Wow. That is a really ambitious resolution! I would love to do this, but my 4 hour round trip, daily commute usually means that I just want to veg out when I get home. Good luck with this!

Face/Off was always an incredibly fun movie for me. I haven't seen Olympus Has Fallen or The Last Stand yet, though.

Rhys 01-01-14 09:23 PM

Thank you! The Last Stand probably isn't worth your time if you're limited to it. Olympus Has Fallen is great though. If you have Netflix you can watch it on there.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-01-14 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1010045)
Hi there fellow cinema aficianado! Welcome to the forums.
A poor choice of words.;)

Rhys 01-02-14 10:09 AM

2nd January 2014

Starsky & Hutch (2004) - funny at times with some of my favorite comedy actors Starsky and Hutch is an OK film with an over the top, unrealistic, unoriginal storyline about two police officers having to bond with each other as partners for the first time. They have to bust a cocaine deal but run into many problems along the way. I thought the film was silly at times but was overall ok.
My rating: 4.5/10

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (2012) - a somewhat strange movie but actually fairly interesting. It was hard to follow at times but I think it's probably worth a second watch to help understand it a little better. The acting was great and the ending was pretty good too. It was unrealistic at times but overall was actually a good movie.

Super Troopers (2001) - this film has gotten a lot of great reviews on IMDb. Some people have said this is the funniest film they have ever seen. Am I missing something? I only finished watching this film so that I could give it this review. It had a few lines that I found funny but overall this film for me wasn't worth the watch at all. Please, if you liked this film can you explain it to me?
My Rating: 2/10

Rhys 01-02-14 05:42 PM

What movie do you think I should watch next? If you know it's on Netflix that would help a lot too! :)

Lucas 01-02-14 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1010460)
What movie do you think I should watch next? If you know it's on Netflix that would help a lot too! :)
You should watch Raging Bull,The Pianist,Pulp Fiction,Apocalypse Now,and Zodiac. All of those films are on Netflix at the moment, there are many other really good ones but these are the ones that come to mind atm.

Mr Minio 01-02-14 06:18 PM

You should watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Stalker, Maltese Falcon, The Thing, Oldboy, Last Year at Marienbad, The Seventh Seal... the list goes on.

PS: I just finished watching Maltese Falcon and thus added it to the list above, because I really liked it. It's a small sneak peak of my future Movie Tab II post.

Daniel M 01-02-14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1010481)
PS: I just finished watching Maltese Falcon and thus added it to the list above, because I really liked it. It's a small sneak peak of my future Movie Tab II post.
Mr Minio enjoying classic noir with Humphrey Bogart? I like the sound of this! :p

Mr Minio 01-02-14 06:40 PM

Mind you it's not the first time. Not the first time I liked noir with Bogart even. In a Lonely Place was pretty nice too.

Daniel M 01-02-14 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1010495)
Mind you it's not the first time. Not the first time I liked noir with Bogart even. In a Lonely Place was pretty nice too.
Awesome, I love In a Lonely Place too, that might be my favourite noir-Bogart, check out The Big Sleep which i think you'll also like as it's similar to The Maltese Falcon and kind of inspired The Big Lebowski :p

Mr Minio 01-02-14 07:34 PM

I have The Big Sleep on my watchlist for quite some time.

Rhys 01-02-14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lucas (Post 1010471)
You should watch Raging Bull,The Pianist,Pulp Fiction,Apocalypse Now,and Zodiac. All of those films are on Netflix at the moment, there are many other really good ones but these are the ones that come to mind atm.
Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1010481)
You should watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Stalker, Maltese Falcon, The Thing, Oldboy, Last Year at Marienbad, The Seventh Seal... the list goes on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen Pulp Fiction (and I think some of The Pianist) but none of the other films. I've been told I should bee Oldboy before and it's on Netflix so that's a film I might see soon. I'll check the other ones out too. I know The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a well rated and known film but I'm not sure if it would be my thing?

:)

Also another film review.

Super Troopers (2001) - this film has gotten a lot of great reviews on IMDb. Some people have said this is the funniest film they have ever seen. Am I missing something? I only finished watching this film so that I could give it this review. It had a few lines that I found funny but overall this film for me wasn't worth the watch at all. Please, if you liked this film can you explain it to me?
My Rating: 3/10

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-02-14 08:32 PM

If you're gonna keep to this viewing schedule then I will do it with you. Post our viewing records in this thread. Just copy and paste this list and update it each time you watch something. (If anyone else wants to join us - by all means :))

1/1/14
The Sci-Fi Slob - Alien
iRhys - ?

2/1/14
The Sci-fi Slob - Aliens
iRhys - ?

Rhys 01-02-14 09:02 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm going to keep the first post as it is though just as a personal record if that's ok? But I'll edit it and mention that you're doing it too. :)

EDIT: I'll actually use the first post to list yours too. :)

Rhys 01-03-14 09:20 AM

3rd January 2014

The Raid (2011) - wow, this film is incredible. In fact it is the best action movie I have ever seen. The action is brutally gory throughout and the story is pretty interesting too. At times it is unrealistic in the sense of how powerful our main character is but it's really ok because it looks amazing. This movie has everything a good action movie needs. Good fight scenes, ultra-violence, martial arts, sharp weapons, blunt weapons, blood and new creative ways to kill. Just watch it. I can't express myself enough. I can't wait for Raid 2.
My Rating: 9/10

Ironcurtin65 01-03-14 02:32 PM

Lucky bas***d! Wish I had the time. If you haven't already, watch "Pan's Labyrinth". Great movie!

Rhys 01-03-14 02:40 PM

Yeah, I saw it recently at college. It was pretty interesting. :D

Matteo 01-03-14 07:26 PM

Good luck.

I tried doing that once and failed on a mere 24 days into January. It's tougher than what you think.

BlueLion 01-03-14 07:32 PM

I don't think I'd be able to do this, as I don't like to force myself to see a film if I don't feel like watching one. My goal for this year is to see as many movies as possible.

It's in the summer when I become a total movie freak, I watch at least three a day during the summer. :cool:

RepentantSky 01-03-14 08:04 PM

This is an interesting idea. Hopefully you'll run into some movies that some or none of us have seen yet that we ought to. Sadly, this kind of thing is out of my reach as work really has a tight lid on my waking hours these days, but good luck with it.

Rhys 01-03-14 08:48 PM

Thanks for the support. I'm going to try very hard to do this. I will probably run into a few problems at times because I do something called Duke of Edinburgh if you haven't heard of it and I have to do an expedition which lasts either 3 or 4 days (I'll have to do this twice because there will be a practice too) . I can download movies to my iPhone but I probably won't have access to a charging point. iPhones do have good batteries though and if I take two phone and only use the iPhone for the movies and choose shorter, 90 minute or so movies I might be able to make it. I really hope I can do this. It should be a breeze when I get to University in September because the only commitment I should have is my uni work which will be related to film anyway.

I watched The Raid for the second time today. This time with my parents and it's even better the second time. :)

I go back to college on Monday so this is when it's going to get hard. I also start my Air Cadets back up on Tuesday.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-03-14 09:24 PM

Can someone sticky this thread for the viewing challenge, otherwise it will disappear -pretty please. :)

Rhys 01-03-14 09:27 PM

That'd be great! :)

P.S - it took me like 10 edits to get your list up properly. It went crazy on my iPhone for some reason. I usually use my laptop so hope it looks ok? :)

moviefan1996 01-03-14 09:52 PM

I can't wait to see what films you will watch for the whole year and I hope you have fun watching the films that you will see in 2014.

Cobpyth 01-03-14 10:09 PM

Watching films on an iPhone?

Daniel M 01-03-14 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1011221)
Watching films on an iPhone?
I just have to take the opportunity to post this :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Skepsis93 01-03-14 10:15 PM

I'll never pass up an opportunity to post this. (NSFW)

Skepsis93 01-03-14 10:16 PM

I hate you, Daniel.

EDIT: Obviously great minds think alike.

I love that little sweary outburst at the end, it never fails to make me laugh.

Daniel M 01-03-14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 1011224)
I hate you, Daniel.
Great minds think alike <3

Skepsis93 01-03-14 10:21 PM

:randy:

Cobpyth 01-03-14 10:22 PM

Lynch is so right. I thought the poster was AT LEAST meaning iPad (which is still kind of a sin, if you ask me), but seriously, a phone? I didn't even know people actually did that.

It just totally screws up the whole purpose of the medium of film. I would rather not watch a film than watch it on my freaking phone.

Skepsis93 01-03-14 10:25 PM

Especially any remotely decent film. Michael Bay deserves the iPhone, though.

The Gunslinger45 01-03-14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1011232)
Lynch is so right. I thought the poster was AT LEAST meaning iPad (which is still kind of a sin, if you ask me), but seriously, a phone? I didn't even know people actually did that.

It just totally screws up the whole purpose of the medium of film. I would rather not watch a film than watch it on my freaking phone.
I admit I have watched films on my phone before, but only in rare occasions where I have no option to watch a movie on a TV or even a laptop.The big time I did it was during a detail I did for a month where I guarded a building on post. We had 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. We had a shift during the weekend and I worked from 4 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. And on Saturday NO ONE was there. So I literally watched movies I rented from iTunes on my phone for 12 hours. It was actually the highlight of my work week then.

But even then it is NOT my preferred method to watch a movie, and is done only out of desperation.

mark f 01-03-14 10:37 PM

Don't you guys mean "Great minds drink alike"?

Cobpyth 01-03-14 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1011236)
I admit I have watched films on my phone before, but only in rare occasions where I have no option to watch a movie on a TV or even a laptop.The big time I did it was during a detail I did for a month where I guarded a building on post. We had 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. We had a shift during the weekend and I worked from 4 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. And on Saturday NO ONE was there. So I literally watched movies I rented from iTunes on my phone for 12 hours. It was actually the highlight of my work week then.

But even then it is NOT my preferred method to watch a movie, and is done only out of desperation.
You should've read books. :p

I couldn't bring myself to watch a film for the first time on a phone (except perhaps when I know it's going to be pure crap, but even then I would feel bad). The whole experience of the film would be lost.

I understand your excuse of desperation, though. You had no choice. You needed entertainment during those boring hours.

The Gunslinger45 01-03-14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1011248)
You should've read books. :p

I couldn't bring myself to watch a film for the first time on a phone (except perhaps when I know it's going to be pure crap, but even then I would feel bad). The whole experience of the film would be lost.

I understand your excuse of desperation, though. You had no choice. You needed entertainment during those boring hours.
I did watch a few film I watched via the phone I wanted to watch again through traditional means. Fritz's Lang's M most of all. But trying to watch say... The Dark Knight on my phone? It does ruin the experience.

Rhys 01-04-14 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1011222)
I just have to take the opportunity to post this :p

Haha, that was pretty funny. I guess it's pretty true though it's just I'll have no other option whilst I'm out there. I usually watch my films through my TV.

Pussy Galore 01-04-14 01:04 PM

When I'm in school break (like now) I watch 1 or 2 movie a day, but when I'm at school it's like 3,4 a week.

Rhys 01-04-14 02:21 PM

Yeah, it will be harder come Monday cause' of college. I should be able to find time though. :)

Gabrielle947 01-04-14 02:29 PM

I don't know,I watched some Futurama episodes on my Phone and it felt the same like watching them on TV and laptop.I think it really depends on the film and even under what circumstances you watch it.When you're watching like Kubrick's 2001 on the bus with your phone,then it's really bad. :D

Rhys 01-04-14 03:51 PM

4th January 2014

Daddy Day Care (2003) - okay, I have seen this film before but it was a very long time ago. I hardly remembered the movie apart from a few little things like the toilet scene. It's an okay film but it tried a little to hard to be funny at times. I didn't laugh at many of the jokes and many of the characters weren't realistic. However, I did somewhat enjoy the film at times and it did manage to make me smile.
My Rating: 4/10

The Jazz Singer (1980) - I would never normally watch this film but my parents insisted the film was great. They both like Neil Diamond a lot so I think it does kind of influence them to like the film more. It was an alright film I'll give it that but I did find it hard to find interest in it at times. I liked the ending and the story is interesting at times. This is probably a personal thing though. If you like Neil Diamond or can relate to the story you will probably like it more.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-04-14 06:36 PM

Films watched - 04/01/2014

Die Hard: With a Vengeance
(1995)

Classic, Bruce Willis, popcorn action entertainment.

8/10

Falling Down (1993)

I hadn't watched this in years, one of Micheal Douglas's best performances, and one of my all time favourite dramas.

8/10

Daniel M 01-04-14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1011545)
Films watched - 04/01/2014

Die Hard: With a Vengeance
(1995)

Classic, Bruce Willis, popcorn action entertainment.

8/10
If you're watching this on BBC3, it hasn't finished yet! :p I've got it on in the background too, and you're right, it's a good popcorn/entertainment film, second best behind the original for me, although that's not saying much when I haven't seen the second, I really don't like the fourth and hate the fifth :D

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-04-14 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1011548)
If you're watching this on BBC3, it hasn't finished yet! :p I've got it on in the background too, and you're right, it's a good popcorn/entertainment film, second best behind the original for me, although that's not saying much when I haven't seen the second, I really don't like the fourth and hate the fifth :D
Correct. I'm watching it on BBC 3. I watched Falling Down earlier on.:D

Daniel M 01-04-14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1011549)
Correct. I'm watching it on BBC 3. I watched Falling Down earlier on.:D
Nice one, yeh my step-dad put it (DH3) on as it's one of his favourites, watching it in the background as I am on this and I've seen it before :)

Also, I was mean to reply to Rhys the other day: Nice to see you enjoyed The Raid, not seen it yet myself but heard good stuff and it's by a Welsh director! :p

Guaporense 01-04-14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1011236)

Yeah. That's the way. A screen, no matter how small, is still good enough if you can watch the images with a decent level of definition. The main problem would be interference like the sound of a bus (as a previous poster commented).

Rhys 01-04-14 08:20 PM

The Jazz Singer (1980) - I would never normally watch this film but my parents insisted the film was great. They both like Neil Diamond a lot so I think it does kind of influence them to like the film more. It was an alright film I'll give it that but I did find it hard to find interest in it at times. I liked the ending and the story is interesting at times. This is probably a personal thing though. If you like Neil Diamond or can relate to the story you will probably like it more.

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1011551)
Nice one, yeh my step-dad put it (DH3) on as it's one of his favourites, watching it in the background as I am on this and I've seen it before :)

Also, I was mean to reply to Rhys the other day: Nice to see you enjoyed The Raid, not seen it yet myself but heard good stuff and it's by a Welsh director! :p
Yeah, you should definitely watch it when you get the chance. It's brilliant. :)

I'm not Welsh though by the way. I know my name is the Welsh spelling. Haha.

The Gunslinger45 01-04-14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1011602)
Yeah. That's the way. A screen, no matter how small, is still good enough if you can watch the images with a decent level of definition. The main problem would be interference like the sound of a bus (as a previous poster commented).
Well I had headphones so that was not an issue.

Rhys 01-05-14 09:52 AM

5th January 2014

The Expendables (2010) - many brilliant actors, cool effects, awesome gore and lots of explosions. The Expendables should be up there with the best action movies of all time right? No. This film was hard to get through because the plot was ridiculous and the movie was VERY unrealistic. It was just an extremely stupid film. Personally I'd say it's not really worth the watch.
My Rating: 4/10

The Dark Knight (2008) - well, I finally found the need to watch this film. I'm not a fan of superhero type movies and haven't seen many of them but I enjoyed the Dark Knight even though it was a little long and wasn't always full of action. It's clearly a very well made film and has done very well for itself being rated the sixth best film of all time on IMDb and the best film so far of this millenium. But I don't agree with this fully. Yes, it's a great film but not one of the greatest films of all time. It's definitely worth a watch if you get the time however.
My Rating:7/10

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-05-14 07:48 PM

5/1/2014

Carrie (2013)

Check the "rate the last film you watched" thread to read my thoughts on it.

Rhys 01-06-14 05:33 AM

I'll add it to the list. :)

Spykakos 01-06-14 05:58 AM

I am also thinking of doing that as well. So by the end of this year you will have watched at least 365 movies... That's really cool dude. Good luck! Make sure to watch national treasure 1 & 2!

Rhys 01-06-14 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Spykakos (Post 1012832)
I am also thinking of doing that as well. So by the end of this year you will have watched at least 365 movies... That's really cool dude. Good luck! Make sure to watch national treasure 1 & 2!
I saw a previous of National Treasure a long time ago and wanted to see it. I probably will watch them in the near future.

Rhys 01-06-14 01:09 PM

6th January 2014

Oldboy (2003) - finally got around to watching this. It's a great film but fairly slow paced and confusing throughout. The first time watching it for me was fairly hard but the last 10 minutes or so were fantastic and mindblowing. A second watch of this will probably be better than the initial watch. Watch this if you haven't already.
My Rating: 8.5/10

Shanghai Noon (2000) - a fairly humorous movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. I like Owen Wilson as an actor quite a lot which allowed me to enjoy the film more that I probably normally would have and Jackie Chan also proved to be pretty good in this movie. However the film was a little too long for what it was and it kind of got boring at times. Overall though it was worth the watch even though there are many better movies out there.
My Rating: 4.5/10

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-06-14 07:30 PM

6th January 2014

Big Ass Spider
A fun monster film, with half decent effects, boobs, comedy, and a Big Ass Spider! A lot better than Sharknado.

6/10

Rhys 01-07-14 11:12 AM

Added to your list. =D

McConnaughay 01-07-14 11:28 AM

I am doing something like this, except I already missed out on the chance of watching one movie a year, rather, I have a year-end goal of having watched over three-hundred movies. I'll be starting college and doing a lot of side projects, so it might be tough for me. Good luck with your guy's goal.

Rhys 01-07-14 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1013580)
I am doing something like this, except I already missed out on the chance of watching one movie a year, rather, I have a year-end goal of having watched over three-hundred movies. I'll be starting college and doing a lot of side projects, so it might be tough for me. Good luck with your guy's goal.
Thanks, you too!

7th January 2014

The Last King of Scotland (2006) - a very interesting movie. Our main actors are brilliant and the story is based on a real president of Uganda who was responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. There are a few comedy elements in the film but the majority of the film is very serious. This film if definitely worth the watch

Skepsis93 01-07-14 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1013580)
One of the many reasons I love studying film is that I get to pass off watching movies as "work." :p

teeter_g 01-07-14 01:37 PM

Good luck with this to the both of you. I know I couldn't do it. Some days I can sit and watch movies all day and other days I can't stand to sit through one.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-07-14 05:46 PM

7/1/2014

Gravity (2013)

One of the best sci-fi films ever made.

10/10

McConnaughay 01-07-14 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1013735)
7/1/2014

Gravity (2013)

One of the best sci-fi films ever made.

10/10
Agreed

Rhys 01-07-14 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by teeter_g (Post 1013648)
Good luck with this to the both of you. I know I couldn't do it. Some days I can sit and watch movies all day and other days I can't stand to sit through one.
Thank you!

@ Sci Fi Slob - I thought that the trailer looked visually amazing but I didn't think they could make a real story out of it. I might have to watch it now knowing that it was good.

McConnaughay 01-07-14 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1013739)
Thank you!

@ Sci Fi Slob - I thought that the trailer looked visually amazing but I didn't think they could make a real story out of it. I might have to watch it now knowing that it was good.
Neither did I, in-fact, when I went to go see it, I merely picked it over Runner Runner, seeing it as the lesser of two bad movies. Jesus, was I surprised...

Rhys 01-07-14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1013741)
Neither did I, in-fact, when I went to go see it, I merely picked it over Runner Runner, seeing it as the lesser of two bad movies. Jesus, was I surprised...
I'll watch it after the DVD release as I don't have any money for the cinema at the moment.

McConnaughay 01-07-14 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1013744)
I'll watch it after the DVD release as I don't have any money for the cinema at the moment.
Ah, I was going to say, for anyone that might want to watch it, I heard they were going to be re-releasing it in theaters on-account of the various awards it has won. http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/alf...-january-17th/

Rhys 01-07-14 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1013756)
Ah, I was going to say, for anyone that might want to watch it, I heard they were going to be re-releasing it in theaters on-account of the various awards it has won. http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/alf...-january-17th/
Ah, I might have the money by then. :)

Rhys 01-08-14 08:42 AM

8th January 2014

The Usual Suspects (1995) - wow, another film with an exceptional ending. The only bad thing about this movie is the fact that it is fairly hard to follow at times and the movie sometimes has a slow pace but by the end of the movie everything adds up and your mind is blown. A very good movie.
My Rating: 8/10

Blade Runner (1982)- sweet film. Seriously awesome and another mind blower. A very good watch and definitely worth a rewatch. Great effects, cool gore and amazing story and ending. However it does get a little slow at times.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-08-14 06:43 PM

8/1/2014

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)

As a massive Alan Partridge fan, I think they did a great job with this. All the characters from the series were there, some truly hilarious moments and great performances from Colm Meaney and Steve Coogan. :up:

8/10

Insidious: Chapter 2

A shadow of the original film, the script was awful.:(

5/10

Rhys 01-08-14 07:24 PM

Blade Runner (1982) - sweet film. Seriously awesome and another mind blower. A very good watch and definitely worth a rewatch. Great effects, cool gore and amazing story and ending. However it does get a little slow at times.

I'm enjoying this so far. :)

Is there a way to hide text like a spoiler? So that my original post isn't just going to be a long list?

bluedeed 01-08-14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1014226)
Is there a way to hide text like a spoiler? So that my original post isn't just going to be a long list?
It's the exclamation mark next to youtube in advanced view, or just type spoiler in each of the [][/] brackets

Rhys 01-09-14 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by bluedeed (Post 1014256)
It's the exclamation mark next to youtube in advanced view, or just type spoiler in each of the [][/] brackets
Thank you. Although unfortunately it just creates a sort of box the size of the text field instead of creating a button that expands the text field. I guess I'll just have to make a long list. :(

Rhys 01-09-14 08:52 AM

9th January 2014

Sin City (2005) - this film is incredible. I've been missing out by not watching this. I saw it on Netflix and decided to watch it knowing that it's probably going to be worth the watch. It's more than just worth a watch. It's worth multiple rewatches. The film style is beautiful and correct me if im wrong but it has a film noir style? I love the idea that only some things had colour. The film is very artistic and the cinematographer of this film is a genius. I hope the next one will be as good. Yes, it's unrealistic but it's not trying to be realistic. If you haven't seen it then please, just watch it.
My Rating: 10/10

Sedai 01-09-14 10:13 AM

So far, so good for me on this challenge, as well! I managed two on a few days since JAN 1, too!

Rhys 01-09-14 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1014404)
So far, so good for me on this challenge, as well! I managed two on a few days since JAN 1, too!
Awesome! Good luck! :)

Mmmm Donuts 01-09-14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1014398)
9th January 2014

Sin City (2005) - this film is incredible. I've been missing out by not watching this. I saw it on Netflix and decided to watch it knowing that it's probably going to be worth the watch. It's more than just worth a watch. It's worth multiple rewatches. The film style is beautiful and correct me if im wrong but it has a film noir style? I love the idea that only some things had colour. The film is very artistic and the cinematographer of this film is a genius. I hope the next one will be as good. Yes, it's unrealistic but it's not trying to be realistic. If you haven't seen it then please, just watch it.
Yup, a stunning movie.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-09-14 06:57 PM

9/1/2014

Lone Survivor (2013)

8/10

Mimic (1997)

6/10

Nausicaä 01-09-14 07:10 PM

Big Ass Spider
A fun monster film, with half decent effects, boobs, comedy, and a Big Ass Spider! A lot better than Sharknado.
I watched this last night and saw no breasts. Or do you mean the women playing volleyball in their bikinis during the park scenes? :suspicious:

Rhys 01-09-14 07:15 PM

Thanks for the update Sci-fi will add tomorrow as on my phone now. :)

Rhys 01-10-14 08:21 AM

10th January 2014

Ratcatcher (1999) - a good movie which I found much better than her second movie (Morvern Caller) which I disliked a lot. I had to watch both of these in film studies but I watched Morvern Caller in December and Ratchater today. It has a decent story and is very gritty and real. I also liked the main characters a lot which allowed me to enjoy the movie a lot more. The movie is slow however and never really gets exciting but that's OK because the films keeps you watching purely due to interest in what you're going to see next in the narrative.
My Rating: 6.5/10

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-10-14 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 1014592)
I watched this last night and saw no breasts. Or do you mean the women playing volleyball in their bikinis during the park scenes? :suspicious:
Affirmative.

Daniel M 01-10-14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by iRhys (Post 1014398)
9th January 2014

I love Sin City, like you say it's unrealistic as it doesn't try to be anything else, it feels like a comic book brought to life and it's done perfectly, some of the best visuals/cinematography I've seen.

Rhys 01-10-14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1014965)
I love Sin City, like you say it's unrealistic as it doesn't try to be anything else, it feels like a comic book brought to life and it's done perfectly, some of the best visuals/cinematography I've seen.
Yeah, exactly. Couldn't have said it better. :)

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-10-14 07:05 PM

10/1/2014

Escape Plan (2013)

6/10

Rhys 01-11-14 07:37 AM

11th January 2014

The Cabin in The Woods (2012) - so for a long time I thought this film was just going to be some sort of conventional horror set in the woods where everyone dies apart from our protagonist girl. I'm not going to spoil for it for anyone but this film is very different to the norm. Yes, many of our conventional characters die in conventional ways but it states this at the end of the movie in a very original way. This film is actually very good and also is very interesting. Oh, it's gory and funny too.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-11-14 07:07 PM

11/1/2014

Wanted (2008)

7/10

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/p...unk-smiley.gif

Rhys 01-12-14 11:55 AM

12th January 2014

Dredd (2012) - a great movie with awesome effects and lots of gore. Dredd is definitely worth the watch. It has some great one liners and an awesome plot set in the future where the crime rate is at an all time high. If you haven't seen this film I would recommend that you see it as soon as you can.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - this is the first time I've actually watched this film in its entirety. However, I did watch parts of this film a long time ago when I didn't really follow the story or the things that were happening. However, I remembered most of the ending and as I was watching the film some of it came back to me. It's a very good film, an amazing film infact. I'm sure I don't need to say much more because most of you have probably seen it already.

The Sci-Fi Slob 01-12-14 10:00 PM

12/1/14

Let Me In (2010)

Not as good as the original Swedish film, but not bad.

7/10

Rhys 01-13-14 07:44 AM

Not sure what movie to watch tonight. Maybe Taxi Driver or The Godfather.