Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I Need a Quick Review (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=8712)

uconjack 09-17-04 07:24 PM

I Need a Quick Review

I think an interesting thread would be one in which people could ask advice on whether to watch a particular movie on TV or not. If they take people's advice and watch the movie they can then comment on whether they thought it was good advice or not.

uconjack 09-17-04 07:26 PM

I'll start. Should I wake up and watch Warlock(1959) tommorrow at 7:30 a.m. (ET) on AMC? Cowboy movie with Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda.

Holden Pike 09-17-04 09:15 PM

Eh.

Warlock is just OK. Not great, not terrible. It wouldn't be a complete waste of time, but it's no lost classic or anything.

Garrett 09-18-04 03:07 AM

How about Five Easy Pieces? I'm thinking about renting it. I've also been thinking about seeing The Royal Tenenbaums.

Terminator734 09-18-04 03:59 AM

i guess The Royal Tenenbaums isn't a complete waste of time so u should definitly check it out if u get a chance

Holden Pike 09-18-04 11:55 AM

The Royal Tenenbaums is great. Kind of an emotional tone poem fused with a screwball comedy, a stylized ensemble charater piece with surprising depth and humor with the trappings of a modern Salinger-like fable, and Hackman is perfect as the wayward patriarch. See it ASAP.

Five Easy Pieces is also a great movie, a terrific character study. Jack Nicholson, in his first starring role, is magnificent. The diner scene where he tries to get his order the way he wants it without breaking any of the waitress' no substitutions rules, is the most celebrated and well-known bit in the movie, but there's much more to it than that. My single favorite moment is toward the beginning, when in a traffic jam he hops on the back of a truck. From the opening I'll wager you'll have no idea where the narrative is headed. But the narrative is secondary to the emotional and intellectual life of that man, which is examined so very well by Nicholson and Bob Rafelson.

So yeah, you should see it.

Ezikiel 09-18-04 02:29 PM

I've been really wanting to see Rushmore for quite a while now. Also, do you think it's worth it to buy both Criterion DVD's of Peeping Tom and Man Bites Dog? How are the films? I've been looking foward to seeing them, especially Peeping Tom.

Holden Pike 09-18-04 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I've been really wanting to see Rushmore for quite a while now. Also, do you think it's worth it to buy both Criterion DVD's of Peeping Tom and Man Bites Dog? How are the films? I've been looking foward to seeing them, especially Peeping Tom.
Rushmore and Peeping Tom are both worth blind buys, yes. Especially the Criterion editions. Peeping Tom is a good and odd thriller, covering some of the same basic ground as Psycho (which came out later that same year), only with the actual psychology examined a bit more and a completely different milieu. Plus there's some fun movie industry stuff there.

Man Bites Dog is good, I like it, but I don't think it's quite as good as its rep. It wouldn't be a bad blind buy, but you might want to rent it first, see how much you groove on it personally. Between Peeping Tom and Man Bites Dog, it's no contest: get Michael Powell's film.

And Rushmore is simply one of my all-time favorite movies.

uconjack 09-18-04 05:17 PM

How about a movie called Ordet (1955)?

Holden Pike 09-18-04 05:25 PM

Never seen Ordet. But you can't go very wrong with Carl Theo Dreyer.

uconjack 09-18-04 05:43 PM

Its on Sunday 10PM (ET) on TCM. Looks interesting.

Ezikiel 09-18-04 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by uconjack
Its on Sunday 10PM (ET) on TCM. Looks interesting.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm definately going to check it out.

yeshli2nuts 09-18-04 08:36 PM

how about Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind? by what it seems to be about, i will give you movies in the same genre i like and dislike:

like - Memento, Fight Club, Usual Suspects
dislike - Pulp Fiction, Requiem For A Dream

i've never seen it but it looks interesting. any thoughts?

Holden Pike 09-18-04 08:38 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind isn't anything like any of those movies you mentioned, really. A bit Memento-ish I suppose, in a way. But not really.

It's Charlie Kaufman. What more needs to be said? Eternal Sunshine is a great, great movie. See it soon, see it often.

yeshli2nuts 09-18-04 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
It's Charlie Kaufman. What more needs to be said?
a lot since i've seen parts of Being John Malkovich and nothing else from him.

Garrett 09-18-04 09:53 PM

Thanks, Holden.

Have you seen any Jacques Tati movies? What do you think, if you have?

Holden Pike 09-19-04 06:28 PM

Yeah, the Tati movies are all very good. I don't think one of the Monsieur Hulot flicks is any better or worse than the others, they're all incredibly warm and charming. But you may as well do 'em in order, starting with Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, then Mon Oncle, Playtime and finally Traffic (1971).

Sinny McGuffins 09-21-04 04:45 PM

Still haven't seen these films...

Wonderland
21 Grams
Monster
Mystic River

I'm going to rent one this weekend, which is the best choice?

SamsoniteDelilah 09-21-04 05:26 PM

Monster is the only one I've seen. I'd recommend it heartily. The acting is incredibly detailed and convincing, and the story is fascinating and based on true events.

I've avoided Mystic River because Penn's over-the-top emotionalism makes my teeth itch. 21 Grams looks cool.

uconjack 09-22-04 08:53 AM

Anyone see Ulzana's Raid (1972). Looks good and I have never seen it.

John McClane 09-22-04 04:10 PM

I believe I've seen this film before and I think I liked it but, do you think I should watch Dog Day Afternoon (d. Sidney Lumet, 1975)?

uconjack 09-22-04 05:13 PM

Dog day Afternoon is awesome. You have to see it. I think Pacino tends to overact in most movies but in this one his overacting is perfect. Great performance. Based on a true incident.

Prospero 09-22-04 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Parky
Still haven't seen these films...

Wonderland
21 Grams
Monster
Mystic River

I'm going to rent one this weekend, which is the best choice?
I haven't seen Wonderland, but I've seen the other three. Of those, I'd say 21 Grams is the best.

Monster features a tour de force performance by Charlize Theron, and some great supporting work from Christina Ricci. The movie itself is okay, but just okay. You should see it sometime for the performances, though.

Mystic River was good, but not anything great. Tim Robbins is fantastic, but Sean Penn goes a bit over the top (well, more than a bit). The movie itself doesn't really break any new ground. I was about to say it's pedestrian, but that's a little harsh, I think.

21 Grams is great. This is the movie that Penn should have been nominated for. The movie is simply gut-wrenching. There are great performances by everyone, and the directing and editing are both outstanding. It is not a fun time by any stretch, but it is an emotionally powerful film, and gives you a lot to think about. Naomi Watts puts in a good turn, and Benicio Del Toro is excellent as usual. I swear, the guy is so consistantly good it get a little boring, ya know? :D

Have you seen House Of Sand And Fog? That's another good one.

Holden Pike 09-23-04 12:32 AM

Anyone see Ulzana's Raid (1972). Looks good and I have never seen it.

Ulzana's Raid is good. Not great, but a decent oater. Aldrich's earlier two Westerns with Lancaster are both a little better (Vera Cruz and Apache), but it's good and the politics of it are really odd and distinctive. Compared to other Westerns released in '72, it's a bit down the list in terms of quality: Jeremiah Johnson, High Plains Drifter, The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean, Bad Company, Santee and even Junior Bonner are all better films. But Ulzana is worth seeing, and it and The Longest Yard represent the last two good movies Bob Aldrich made.

Holden Pike 09-23-04 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by John McClane
I believe I've seen this film before and I think I liked it but, do you think I should watch Dog Day Afternoon (d. Sidney Lumet, 1975)?

And everybody should watch Dog Day Afternoon.

Sinny McGuffins 09-23-04 08:19 PM

Can anyone give me a quick review of Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake?

Holden Pike 09-23-04 09:49 PM

Can anyone give me a quick review of Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake?
Yeah...

Only ever watch Romero's original, and never bother with this pointless exercise.

uconjack 09-24-04 09:44 PM

Trio of movies on tommorrow that look interesting

Run of the Arrow
Garden of Evil
Hannie Caulder

Which one should I watch?

Garrett 09-24-04 10:15 PM

How about The Color of Money?

Golgot 09-24-04 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Garrett
How about The Color of Money?
Smooth in its own way, but not a patch on the far classier 'original' The Hustler.

Garrett 09-25-04 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Golgot
Smooth in its own way, but not a patch on the far classier 'original' The Hustler.
Haven't seen The Hustler either, I'll put it on my list too.

Speaking of Paul Newman, is The Hudsucker Proxy worth watching?

Ezikiel 09-25-04 01:37 AM

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima.../45/138045.jpg

The Hudsucker Proxy is an fun o.k. film. Is it worth watching? Sure, but its by no means great. I wouldn't say its a film you need to go and watch right now or anything, sure it's entertaining and funny, but the Coen's have done better (Fargo).

Holden Pike 09-25-04 03:22 AM

Sure, sure. And it is great.

Prospero 09-25-04 01:05 PM

Sure, sure. And it is great.
But Raising Arizona is better.

Although it's fun to see Tim Robbins doing Jimmy Stewart and Jennifer Jason Leigh doing Katherine Hepburn (or is it Rosalind Russell?). Anyway, Newman is a stitch, too.

(And The Hustler is awesome.)

Garrett 09-25-04 08:12 PM

Just watched The Color of Money. It wasn't bad, but it obviously isn't anywhere near Scorsese's best.

Who do you think won?

Sinny McGuffins 09-28-04 05:12 PM

Double Indemnity (1944)

It's suppose to be great. Is it?

Holden Pike 09-28-04 05:58 PM

Double Indemnity (1944)
It's supposed to be great. Is it?
Yes.

Sinny McGuffins 09-28-04 06:04 PM

Could you give me a quick review of it, please?

Holden Pike 09-28-04 06:14 PM

What do you want me to do, give away key plot points just before you watch it?

It's a well plotted faithful adaptation of James M. Cain's novel, features some dazzlingly fun double-entendre dialogue, an iconic Femme Fatale in Barbara Stanwyk, MacMurray plays convincingly against type, there's great supporting work by the wonderful Edward G. Robinson, a terrific score by Miklós Rózsa and is all under the sure-handed guidance of Billy Wilder. What else do you need to know? You asked if it is as great as it's supposed to be. I told you it is. Now just go watch it already.

http://www.filmsite.org/posters/doub2.gif http://www.filmsite.org/posters/doub3.gif
PHYLLIS: I wonder if I know what you mean.
NEFF: I wonder if you wonder.

Sinny McGuffins 09-28-04 06:41 PM

What do you want me to do, give away key plot points just before you watch it?
Just curious as to what the film's about is all, I'll be sure to watch it. Thanks.

Ezikiel 09-28-04 07:18 PM

The Quiet Man (John Ford - 1952)

TCM will be showing it tonight, is it worth the watch?

Holden Pike 09-28-04 08:53 PM

Just curious as to what the film's about is all.
Check the TV Guide or the back of the video box.

I can give you that kind of summation, if you really want: An insurance salseman (Fred MacMurray) is seduced by female client (Barbara Stanwyk), and they hatch a murder plot for her husband. But the saleman's boss (Edward G. Robinson) is busy figuring it out, and the new lovers may not be able to trust each other. Nominated for seven Oscars. Diredted by Billy Wilder. Black & White. 107 minutes.

I'm sure that'll make the prospect of watching Double Indemnity oh so much more appealing.

Holden Pike 09-28-04 09:04 PM

The Quiet Man (John Ford - 1952). TCM will be showing it tonight, is it worth the watch?
I'm not big into John Ford or John Wayne. But The Quiet Man is OK, much more gentle, warmer and kinder than their celebrated and iconic Western pairings. It's a corny little romantic drama when all is said and done. The Duck (I says) and Maureen O'Hara have a nice chemistry together, and some of Ford's stock company are along in good support (Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen). Nice lush Technicolor cinematography.

It's not my thing, but you can do a lot worse.

Sinny McGuffins 09-28-04 09:13 PM

I'm sure that'll make the prospect of watching Double Indemnity oh so much more appealing.
No, I don't think so. But like I said, I'll be sure to watch it. Thanks anyway for the synopsis.

Golgot 09-28-04 09:45 PM

I can give you that kind of summation, if you really want:
You know you want to ;)

The 'Holden holds forth on the best TV sauce' guide is only a step away ;)

Nah, seriously, keep up the good work, you mass film appreciator you (no smiling face here, as film is a serious issue. Until some screen heat melts the frame-forming glue)

[Um, right, ok, no more wine for me....;)]

Prospero 09-29-04 10:01 AM

Double Indemnity (1944)

It's suppose to be great. Is it?
I second Holden's recommendation of this classic. Although it's not my favorite film noir title (The Big Sleep, Out Of The Past, and Sweet Smell Of Success are all better, IMO), it is still a great movie, and Stanwyck is the archetypal femme fatale.

By the way, if you see Billy Wilder listed as the director, you should never need to ask if the film is worth watching. (There are only two other directors I can say that about: Hitchcock and Kurosawa).

Prospero 09-29-04 10:05 AM

The Quiet Man (John Ford - 1952)

TCM will be showing it tonight, is it worth the watch?
Did you watch it? What did you think?

I differ from Holden on this one. This is a terrific movie, and great fun. Maureen O'Hara is beautiful, and John Wayne puts in one of his best performances. Although very different from most of his other movies, John Ford still does a great job directing.

As Holden says, this may not appeal to everyone, but it certainly does to me.

uconjack 09-29-04 10:58 AM

http://www.pilarwayne.com/graphics/8...t%20Man5x7.jpg

Love The Quiet Man

I wonder what Tactitus thinks of it?

uconjack 09-29-04 11:11 AM

The scene in the picture above where Maureen O'Hara talks to Ward Bond while he is fishing is a classic.

Aniko 09-29-04 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prospero
I differ from Holden on this one. This is a terrific movie, and great fun. Maureen O'Hara is beautiful, and John Wayne puts in one of his best performances. Although very different from most of his other movies, John Ford still does a great job directing.

As Holden says, this may not appeal to everyone, but it certainly does to me.
I've always liked The Quiet Man also. I like O'Hara and Wayne's chemistry as well as the rest of the casts'. And I agree with you Prospero, it's one of Wayne's best. And, Barry Fitzgerald puts a smile on my face.

Ezikiel...did you watch it? Did you like it?

Ezikiel 09-29-04 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aniko
Ezikiel...did you watch it?
I'm sorry to say I missed it... :(

Aniko 09-29-04 10:50 PM

It will be on again at some point. Keep your eye open for it. It's worth watching. :)

uconjack 10-02-04 12:40 AM

Django (1966) looks interesting. Any good?

Golgot 10-02-04 12:47 AM

Bah, just started watching it the other night and was bored senseless after half an hour.

There seem to be a load of sequels, and i picked up the DVD thinking this original was one i'd seen involving a very silly gun with playing-card symbols on the barrel (which i remember enjoying one lazy student night).

It opens intriguingly enough, in a this-is-going-to-be-****-silly-and-amusing way, but the silliness can't sustain the tension-free slowness, sloppy dubbing (apparently the original italian is sharper/more creative), and dubious plot.

If you're very very stoned it might be an amusing view ;) :rolleyes:

Holden Pike 10-02-04 12:52 AM

It's not especially good, no. None of the zillion Spaghetti Westerns that came in Leone's wake are anywhere near the level of his films. Many are watchable fun, and a handful are good. Django has some good stuff in it, and it's watchable, but it's not particularly good. If you're in the mood for dumb Spaghetti Western carnage and over-the-top dramatics, Django is OK. But just OK.

Ezikiel 10-03-04 09:54 PM

Last Tango in Paris? Been wanting to see more Brando films.

Garrett 10-06-04 06:29 PM

Anyone seen the 1972 film Silent Running? Is it any good?

Holden Pike 10-06-04 06:38 PM

The concepts of Silent Running are interesting, but effects-wise and sensibility-wise it hasn't dated particularly well. Probably still worth a look, but don't go in expecting much.

uconjack 10-07-04 06:35 PM

Someone gave me Crimes of Passion (1984). Is it worth seeing?

Holden Pike 10-07-04 06:50 PM

Not really.

Crimes of Passion is a very forgettable B-movie, only notable at the time for Kathleen Turner before she became a whale and totally uninteresting on screen and Tony Perkins still trying to break free of Norman Bates. Ken Russell has made some good movies in his career, but this isn't one of them. It's not horrible or unwatchable, it's just no big deal. You can do worse, but you can do much, much better too. I'd grade it only a flat C.

Eh.

If you want to see a still fun Kathleen Turner movie from 1984, rent yourself Romancing the Stone and be done with it.

uconjack 10-28-04 07:14 PM

What should I watch tonight. They Won't Forget, a movie starring Claude Rains from 1937 or The Man Who Knew Too Little, a movie starring Bill Murray from 1997.

Holden Pike 10-28-04 07:46 PM

They Won't Forget.

Not a great movie, but entertaining for what it is. And while I love The Man Who Knew Too Little, very funny little movie, it's one you can see just about any time, while the Claude Rains/Lana Turner flick is harder to get your hands on.

uconjack 10-29-04 10:08 AM

That was a good tip Holden. I really enjoyed They Won't Forget. Lana Turner was striking in her first role and she was only 15! Claude Rains was great as usual in a role that could be seen as a prequel to his role a few years later in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

iluv2viddyfilms 10-30-04 12:11 AM

Anyone seen the 1972 film Silent Running? Is it any good?

Yes I really like Silent Running quite a bit. Like Holden says, it has dated pretty poorly. The hippie-like environmental message, while still applies today with all this save the Earth crap, is a bit forced and comes off as dated. The songs on the soundtrack are MST3K type material, but other than that there's not much wrong with it.

Bruce Dern is a great in it and the movie completely belongs to him as well as the special effects. Bruce Dern has gone on record saying it was one of his most rewarding and relaxing experiences in making a film. The director Douglas Trumbull, was the special effects supervisor on 2001: ASO and it shows in the film that the man has had experience and does quality work. Today the special effects might not impress greatly, but for the time they were great and even look good now, as long as you're not expecting Matrix type stuff.

Like I said Bruce Dern carries the entire weight of the film, acting wise. There's only two of three other actors in it and they are done away with after the first half hour or so. One interesting thing about the movie is the three worker robots that accompanying Bruce Dern as his only contact in the lonely vastness of space. Clearly they were George Lucas' basis for R2-D2 in Star Wars and the way Mark Hamill interacts with the droid is the exact same fashion in which Dern interacts with the robots.

Not a great movie but a true cult classic and underseen gem. It has good moments and bad moments, but well worth anyone's time for a completely unique film experience. Plus Bruce Dern.

iluv2viddyfilms 10-30-04 12:12 AM

Last Tango in Paris? Been wanting to see more Brando films.

Yes yes yes and yes. If I start typing about it, I won't be able to stop. So I won't start. But do see it, just be careful who you watch it with. While it's no pornographic with the exception of some very minor nudity, the dialogue is a bit pornographic in nature.

Garrett 11-11-04 04:23 PM

How about someone giving me a quick review of Kinji Fukasaku's Blackmail Is My Life?

Ezikiel 11-15-04 01:08 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has seen Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom (d. Pier Paolo Pasolini - 1976)

And if so, would you recommend it?

Holden Pike 11-15-04 04:36 AM

Yes, I've seen it. And no, I wouldn't recommend it. Other than as a curio and for the sake of being able to say that you've seen it.

But no, don't.

Sinny McGuffins 12-09-04 01:58 PM

Which film should I watch tonight, The Great White Hype (1996) or Secretary (2002)?

Holden Pike 12-09-04 03:49 PM

Secretary. It's not a favorite of mine, but The Great White Hype is just dreadfully unfunny and dull.

Aniko 12-14-04 01:20 AM

Holden...I need your advice!

My husband recently bought a Steve Reeves movie, The White Warrior, and we were reminising about Steve Reeves and his fasination of him when he was a teenager. I want to get him another of his movies...but I can't decide between The Thief of Bagdad (1961) or Hercules (1959). I know they're cheezy....but that's the fun. Have you seen either...and/or which one would your recommend getting? :)

Holden Pike 12-14-04 01:26 AM

I can't tell one Steve Reeves movie from another. Aren't they all the same?

Aniko 12-14-04 01:39 AM

Personally, the only difference I see is the loin clothes he wears, but sometimes you guys see different things in movies than us women. I just thought I'd ask. Thanks. :)

Sinny McGuffins 12-19-04 11:12 AM

Is The Two Jakes any good? How does it compare to Chinatown? Is it a worthy sequel? Is it worth a blind buy?

Holden Pike 12-19-04 01:48 PM

I love The Two Jakes.

Is it as good as Chinatown? No, of course not. Nothing really is. The first time you watch it, you find yourself consciously and subconsciously comparing it to the Polanski masterpiece. It isn't at that level. BUT, when you can finally look at it for what it is rather than what it isn't, The Two Jakes is a very good movie, and ultimately a terrific sequel. The only real shame of it all is that Nicholson and Robert Towne had such a falling out over it, and that combined with the horrid reviews and extremely small boxoffice Jakes brought in means we will never, ever see the final installment of the Gittes trilogy Towne had envisioned. And that is too fu*king bad indeed.

But yes, The Two Jakes is quite good and very much worth seeing/owning.

Sinny McGuffins 01-07-05 09:00 PM

But yes, The Two Jakes is quite good and very much worth seeing/owning.
Thanks, Holden. The Two Jakes is really cheap over here so I'll probably buy it soon.

Nitzer 01-07-05 09:02 PM

Need review White Noise fast thanks.

Holden Pike 01-07-05 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nitzer
Need review White Noise fast thanks.
It just came out today. None of us plan to waste our time with it when there are actually good movies in the theaters right now. You tell us tomorrow after you see it. Fast.

Nitzer 01-07-05 09:46 PM

It just came out today. None of us plan to waste our time with it when there are actually good movies in the theaters right now. You tell us tomorrow after you see it. Fast.
You forgot "thanks".

Holden Pike 01-07-05 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nitzer
You forgot "thanks".
You're welcome!

Nitzer 01-07-05 09:52 PM

Owned.

Sinny McGuffins 01-07-05 10:15 PM

I have the opputunity to buy one of these on DVD: The Men Who Tread On the Tiger's Tail (1945), One Wonderful Sunday (1947) and Scandal (1950).

I've not seen any of them, so can anyone please tell which one would be the better buy? I'd love to buy all three, but I've already ordered a few other DVDs so I can only afford one. Any help will be appreciated.

linespalsy 01-11-05 03:40 AM

Bad Education, anyone? I haven't seen anything by Almodovar and this one's playing at the local cinema.

I have the opputunity to buy one of these on DVD: The Men Who Tread On the Tiger's Tail (1945), One Wonderful Sunday (1947) and Scandal [size=1](1950).
Scandal is the only one I've seen and to my mind it is lesser Kurosawa. It's about a contemporary (then) attourney who has to decide between making a dirty living defending scoundrels or risking his career on the ethical choice. A bit heavy on the sentimental side as I recall; worth seeing but I don't recommend buying it unless you really must own everything Kurosawa made.

a disclaimer: my memory is a bit hazy on the cinematic value of the film or I'd comment there too. It's been about 8 years.

Sinny McGuffins 01-11-05 12:48 PM

I've already ordered Scandal. I ended up having to choose the film off IMDb's user ratings. :indifferent:

Garrett 01-12-05 12:56 PM

Should I see Birth, A Very Long Engagement, or Sideways? Bare in mind that I didn't think Election or About Schmidt were anything special.

Holden Pike 01-12-05 01:30 PM

A Very Long Engagement. No contest.

Garrett 01-12-05 01:34 PM

A Very Long Engagement. No contest.
That's what I'm leaning toward.
Have you seen Birth?

Fletch F Fletch 01-13-05 12:20 AM

Should I watch Hero (Jet Li)? I've had it lingering in my Netflix queue for quite a while now, and just can't build up the excitement to get it shipped.
-Irwin Fletcher

Holden Pike 01-13-05 01:51 AM

Have you seen Birth?
Yeah Birth is good and interesting, with another very fine performance from Nicole Kidman, but it's not a great movie. A Very Long Engagement is a great movie. Sideways would be disappointing even without all the hype.

See A Very Long Engagement. Really.

Originally Posted by Irwin F. Fletcher
Should I watch Hero (Jet Li)? I've had it lingering in my Netflix queue for quite a while now, and just can't build up the excitement to get it shipped.
As I said in another thread, if you liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a lot, you'll like Hero too. If you couldn't get into Crouching Tiger, don't even bother with Hero (or The House of Flying Daggers) as it's more of the same.

Garrett 01-13-05 10:04 AM

See A Very Long Engagement. Really.
Okay, you got me. I'll see A Very Long Engagement, and see Birth and Sideways at the next opportunity.

Holden Pike 01-13-05 11:46 AM

Okay, you got me. I'll see A Very Long Engagement, and see Birth and Sideways at the next opportunity.
You can put Birth and Sideways further down the list if you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet.

uconjack 01-15-05 10:11 AM

A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (1990)

Any Good?

Garrett 01-15-05 01:31 PM

You can put Birth and Sideways further down the list if you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet.
Looks like I won't be seeing most of these until they're out on DVD. On the very day I was going to see A Very Long Engagement, they took it out of the theater I was going to. I tried to find it somewhere else with no luck. :( (I might be able to catch Birth and Hotel Rwanda, I'm getting ready to check)

Holden Pike 01-15-05 06:09 PM

A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (1990)

Any Good?
I've only seen a piece of it on TV. It was OK from what I saw, but it ignited no burning desire to track it down any time soon.

Uncle Rico 01-15-05 08:12 PM

Going to see Aviator in a few. Any good?

Holden Pike 01-15-05 08:25 PM

Yeah, The Aviator is good and definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Garrett 01-16-05 11:49 AM

Has anyone seen Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep?

Sinny McGuffins 01-19-05 02:04 PM

Which film should I watch tonight, The Quiet American (2002) or The Killers (1964)?

Holden Pike 01-19-05 02:09 PM

The Quiet American, but both are good. The first version of The Killers starring Burt Lancaster is a better flick than Don Siegel's pass at the material, but it is fun to see Ronnie Regan in his last role playing a bad guy.

But The Quiet American, of those two.

Garrett 01-19-05 04:38 PM

Anyone seen Hitchcock's Number Seventeen and/or The Human Stain?