Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Only Controversial Topics!!! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47367)

Captain Steel 12-01-16 11:18 PM

Only Controversial Topics!!!

This is the thread for controversial topics.

First topic: should people keep posting non-movie-related topics on a web site dedicated to discussing movies? And if so, when is enough enough? Then again, who's got the right to dictate what other people can talk about. But then why keep disrupting a site that is clearly named as a place where people can come and feel safe discussing and focusing only on movies? But if that was the case, why would the site have a designated category for "miscellaneous" topics.

Okay, I think I won that first argument. Let's move on!
(Unless of course you disagree - which is exactly what this thread is for!) :cool:

Citizen Rules 12-01-16 11:19 PM

I thought this might be Guap explaining further why he admires the Fuhrer;)

TONGO 12-01-16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1612986)

First topic: should people keep posting non-movie-related topics on a web site dedicated to discussing movies? And if so, when is enough enough? Then again, who's got the right to dictate what other people can talk about. But then why keep disrupting a site that is clearly named as a place where people can come and feel safe discussing and focusing only on movies? But if that was the case, why would the site have a designated category for "miscellaneous" topics.

Okay, I think I won that first argument. Let's move on!
(Unless of course you disagree - which is exactly what this thread is for!) :cool:
Oy, there is more to life than movies. Movies should bring us together but not distance us from knowing each other better. ;)

CiCi 12-01-16 11:22 PM

Re: Only Controversial Topics!!!

I do feel like the political threads have been rather heavy in the last few months. I can totally see why though, given it's been a sh!tstorm on both sides of the Atlantic.

Then again, I could probably try harder to just avoid going in them :lol:

Iroquois 12-01-16 11:25 PM

What if the Empire are really the good guys in Star Wars?

Captain Steel 12-01-16 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1612989)
I do feel like the political threads have been rather heavy in the last few months. I can totally see why though, given it's been a sh!tstorm on both sides of the Atlantic.

Then again, I could probably try harder to just avoid going in them :lol:
Yes. Kind of understandable / expected given the situation.
But perhaps maybe people could try to consolidate comments to a few threads instead of starting new ones on the same topics (that goes for a lot of topics here)!

Edit P.S. I do realize I am equally guilty of doing the very thing I'm commenting on here.

Captain Steel 12-01-16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1612991)
That's a great one! But what I really want to know is: who doesn't like Hitler?

;)

Citizen Rules 12-02-16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1612993)
That's a great one! But what I really want to know is: who doesn't like Hitler?

;)
Guap? Maybe you can explain why you said you admire Hitler? It probably has something to do with the autobahn.

Captain Steel 12-02-16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1613004)
Guap? Maybe you can explain why you said you admire Hitler? It probably has something to do with the autobahn.
Hitler was bad and he probably goes down as "most evil" primarily due to his motivations which he was quite proud of and tactics which he tried to hide from the rest of the world.

But if it's a numbers game... Stalin killed over 20 million people (mostly his own), while Mao Zedong murdered a whopping 49 to 78 million of his own people mostly through his reforms.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

Mandwa Mona Rudao 12-02-16 09:04 AM

Which black director should make an epic about Ethiopian slavery which ended long after the US ended it?

matt72582 12-02-16 10:25 AM

Are we all replicants??????

gandalf26 12-02-16 11:49 AM

Should the whole LBGT obsession in the media lately just **** off.

MovieMeditation 12-02-16 12:03 PM

Only controversial you say?

@Guap @Zotis here is the place for you!

Captain Steel 12-02-16 10:43 PM

More controversial topic suggestions:

1. What makes you think you have the right to kill an unborn child?

2. Why are people who are simply seeking a better chance at survival and a better life for their children in another country and using the most expedient route to get there and are willing to work hard once they get there considered "illegal," "trespassers," and "criminals"?

3. How is your right to smoke not infringing on my right to breath air not laden with carcinogens & over 5000 toxic chemicals produced by cigarette smoke?

4. How dare you call me "oriental" even when you are distinguishing me from Indians, Pakistanis, Middle-Easterners, Arabs, Persians, Turks, Israeli Jews, Polynesians, and Eastern Russians, all of whom are equally "Asian"!

5. You call me a "triggered SJW" while you voted for a fascist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic White Supremacist!

6. Where's the medical data showing that people are born gay?

7. Considering all the social discrimination, alienation, familial shunning, mocking and physical threats homosexuals have to put up with from a culture that fears and despises them, why would anyone choose to be gay? It is quite obvious it is not a choice, therefore it must be a genetic predisposition.

8. Do Black Lives Matter? Or do All Lives Matter? (And if all lives do matter, does that include those of police? And if it includes police, does it include those cops who murder unarmed black men because they don't believe that black lives matter?)

9. Yes, I still hold doors open for women... what are you gonna do about it, tough girl?

10. Star Wars or Star Trek?

Guaporense 12-03-16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1613004)
I already explained. Just because a person was evil it doesn't meant you cannot admit they had any qualities.

There is also a lot of hypocricy in villifying Hitler while people who killed millions are adored. At the same time Hitler was killing Jews in concentration camps Churchill was confiscating food from India leading to a famine that killed the same number of people as the Holocaust. And many presidents of the US are responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of civilians.

Steve Freeling 12-03-16 01:21 AM

True Lies is not a racist movie.

Guaporense 12-03-16 01:22 AM

Israel has no rights to invade Palestinian territories.

TONGO 12-03-16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1613302)
At the same time Hitler was killing Jews in concentration camps Churchill was confiscating food from India leading to a famine that killed the same number of people as the Holocaust.
Thats because England was being invaded by Germany! They were at war! You paint it like he was taking pictures of them starving while eating a ham sandwich. :rolleyes:

Mandwa Mona Rudao 12-03-16 04:36 AM

A bunch of foreign movie stars fighting against the American Empire in anaction movie franchise.

Camo 12-03-16 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613318)
Thats because England was being invaded by Germany! They were at war! You paint it like he was taking pictures of them starving while eating a ham sandwich. :rolleyes:
Nah, he's right. Churchill's actions/attitudes towards India were disgusting and not worth defending; they certainly weren't some wartime necessity: more like calculated hostility. Churchill did alot of good but he doesn't deserve to be as protected and canonized as he is in my opinion.

And also i know it was England specifically that was invaded but can you please say Britain (or the British Empire even) in the future because the way you and most others understandably talk about it ignores the contribution of the many countries involved that aren't England. Not saying you said anything wrong it's just a pet peeve of mine :)

Steve Freeling 12-03-16 10:09 AM

You do realize Hitler tore their skin off and threw it in the fire, right? That's just plain ol' sadistic no matter how you slice it.

Movie Max 12-03-16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1612986)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpuRC-IV7dY

Daniel M 12-03-16 10:26 AM

I don't like Churchill

Movie Max 12-03-16 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1612988)
Oy, there is more to life than movies. Movies should bring us together but not distance us from knowing each other better. ;)
Says the guy who hasn't watched any in months...:D

http://www.movieforums.com/community...67#post1604967

Let me know if you need a recommendation.:)

Swan 12-03-16 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1613370)
I don't like Churchill
That's weird, I don't like churches on hills.

Movie Max 12-03-16 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1613370)
I don't like Churchill
A few months ago, I got caught up with The Gathering Storm (2002) and Into the Storm (2009). I must say, he was amusing and likable in both those portrayals. Now, the queen, the royal family, I see no likable aspects there, not for me, anyways.

Movie Max 12-03-16 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1612991)
So true! In hindsight, the Jedi all seem like Hillary supporters.;) They also put guys like Jar Jar Binks in positions of power.:D

Daniel M 12-03-16 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613375)
A few months ago, I got caught up with The Gathering Storm (2002) and Into the Storm (2009). I must say, he was amusing and likable in both those portrayals. Now, the queen, the royal family, I see no likable aspects there, not for me, anyways.
He's an interesting character and important figure but it's because of his war time actions that he's seen as such a popular hero over here whilst I feel a lot of people don't know about, or overlook some of his other actions. I don't like like the monarchy or anything relating to them either, against undemocratically elected head of states, but in terms of my personal opinion I don't have too much of a dislike against the current Queen.

Gatsby 12-03-16 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613376)
So true! In hindsight, the Jedi all seem like Hillary supporters.;) They also put guys like Jar Jar Binks in positions of power.:D
It's not the Jedi's fault though. Jar Jar the secret Sith Lord used his powers to forcefully manipulate the Jedi and put them through years of constant annoyance.

...this is my controversial opinion. :D

TONGO 12-03-16 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613371)
Says the guy who hasn't watched any in months...:D

http://www.movieforums.com/community...67#post1604967

Let me know if you need a recommendation.:)
Ive seen your action in the movie chain, if I feel the need to pick up a $1 movie from the gas station Ill be sure to ask you. ;)

Yoda 12-03-16 12:56 PM

Movies aren't that great.

Camo 12-03-16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1613406)
Pretty sure this site is going to stop existing any moment now.

Movie Max 12-03-16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613402)
Ive seen your action in the movie chain, if I feel the need to pick up a $1 movie from the gas station Ill be sure to ask you. ;)
Until then, I hope it's not just C-SPAN for you.;)

TONGO 12-03-16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613439)
Until then, I hope it's not just C-SPAN for you.;)
I try to pull from neutral news sites, even like BBC. Anything else Slick?

Swan 12-03-16 02:17 PM

Satan and the chaos he creates reigns supreme! Praise him!

Movie Max 12-03-16 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613440)
I try to pull from neutral news sites, even like BBC. Anything else Slick?
Nothing else there Panther, just love thy neighbor, even if they voted Trump.:p

TONGO 12-03-16 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613445)
Nothing else there Panther, just love thy neighbor, even if they voted Trump.:p
I have family that voted Trump. If this was World War II youd try and pick on those who opposed Hitler too, huh straight shooter? Of course Trump isnt Hitler, but a bad choice is a bad choice.
I dont know what a Panther is other than a mountain lion, and Floridas mascot. Probably meant as some Canadian slang word you Googled.

Movie Max 12-03-16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613446)
Of course Trump isnt Hitler...
Hey, coming from you, that's progress.

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613446)
I dont know what a Panther is other than a mountain lion, and Floridas mascot. Probably meant as some Canadian slang word you Googled.
Just a friendly NHL acknowledgement.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...er/waingro.jpg

TONGO 12-03-16 02:36 PM

I never said Trump was Hitler, never. I had posted a pic one time of a Target employee that positioned the bookshelf advertising that if you liked Trumps book youd like Hitlers too. That doesnt mean I think Trumps Hitler. :laugh:

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613449)
Just a friendly NHL acknowledgement.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...er/waingro.jpg
Aw, Wayne Gro from HEAT, he was a cowardly punkass in that movie. Whats a NHL acknowledgement Straight Shooter? National Hockey League? ;)

Captain Steel 12-03-16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613368)
That deserves the full version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8aEdnHpwY

Sexy Celebrity 12-03-16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1613406)
Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613412)
Pretty sure this site is going to stop existing any moment now.
I agree with both.

Movie Max 12-03-16 07:33 PM

Captain, I was considering this one, but, went with the short and sweet, instant gratification.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI

Steve Freeling 12-03-16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1613441)
Satan and the chaos he creates reigns supreme! Praise him!
**** no.

Swan 12-03-16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Freeling (Post 1613589)
**** no.
Of course I was joking, but I've been regretting that post all day just because I get the feeling my joking about Satan annoys some folks on here I really like.

Citizen Rules 12-03-16 09:09 PM

I keep seeing the word satin:) and who doesn't like satin:p

Captain Steel 12-03-16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1613598)
Of course I was joking, but I've been regretting that post all day just because I get the feeling my joking about Satan annoys some folks on here I really like.
Well, just like your post, Swan, I took Guap's post about Israel and Palestine as a joke also... you know... to be controversial and stir up conversation.
It was a joke... wasn't it?

Swan 12-03-16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1613601)
Well, just like your post, Swan, I took Guap's post about Israel and Palestine as a joke also... you know... to be controversial and stir up conversation.
It was a joke... wasn't it?
Yes.

Movie Max 12-03-16 09:24 PM

I just thought you were talking about me, you know, payback for the James Bond YOLT.;) (friendly joke)

Swan 12-03-16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Movie Max (Post 1613612)
I just thought you were talking about me, you know, payback for the James Bond YOLT.;) (friendly joke)
Haha, no not at all. I don't hold anything against you Max. :)

Gatsby 12-03-16 09:38 PM

I'm okay with it, because more Satan worshippers mean more leg room in heaven.

TONGO 12-03-16 09:42 PM

Dry humor is tough to master over the internet. I still havent figured it out.

Steve Freeling 12-03-16 09:48 PM

Well, I'm okay with it now that I know it was a joke. You know, I swear Mom didn't want to hear it when I tried to explain that Satan was an evil genius like Lex Luthor.

Gatsby 12-03-16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1613625)
Dry humor is tough to master over the internet. I still havent figured it out.
Have you heard of Poe's Law? Interesting theory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Captain Steel 12-03-16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1613603)
Yes.
I knew your post was a joke, but I was referring to Guap's post about Israel and Palestine... that had to be a joke... wasn't it?

Citizen Rules 12-03-16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1613637)
I knew your post was a joke, but I was referring to Guap's post about Israel and Palestine... that had to be a joke... wasn't it?
Call me dense but I don't get it, how would Guaps Israel post be a joke.
Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1613304)
Israel has no rights to invade Palestinian territories.

Camo 12-03-16 10:02 PM

It's not a joke. I agree why would it be? Plenty of people hold that view.

Citizen Rules 12-03-16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613640)
It's not a joke. I agree why would it be? Plenty of people hold that view.
I do...I support Israel's right to exist, but they should leave the Palestinian occupied territories. It might help to stabilize the region. I mean no one likes to be occupied by a foreign government.

Steve Freeling 12-03-16 10:16 PM

Did that land ever belong to Palestine? I was always told it never did.

Captain Steel 12-04-16 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Freeling (Post 1613645)
YES! Controversy achieved!!! :D

Steve Freeling 12-04-16 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1613707)
Originally Posted by Steve Freeling (Post 1613645)
YES! Controversy achieved!!! :D
Seriously. That's what I was always told.

Captain Steel 12-04-16 01:15 AM

Speaking of Satan - is he evil or is he God's employee?
He allegedly rules hell and punishes sinners - so he's like a prison warden (usually a pretty well paid public servant employed by the government).
Or maybe he's like a predator that keeps populations in check, which, in the larger scheme, ends up benefiting those populations.
In the book of Job, God and Satan make a wager - so, in that book, it seems they are far from enemies, but more like co-workers who make friendly wagers (too bad the stakes involve taking a bunch of innocent lives). And not only that, but they seem to get together a lot to discuss their wager. I wonder if God served tea at these meetings?

Steve Freeling 12-04-16 01:20 AM

So... does anyone agree that Satan's (probably) an evil genius like Lex Luthor?

Captain Steel 12-04-16 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Freeling (Post 1613710)
Seriously. That's what I was always told.
Modern Palestinians are the descendants of middle-easterners that were kicked out of other Muslim countries that did not feel the brotherly love for their fellow Muslims.

But going back much further (to 640 AD) the Palestinian "claim" to Israel is based on the Islamic hordes that slaughtered their way across the holy land and took Israel from the Byzantine empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim...t_of_Palestine

Captain Steel 12-04-16 01:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ReF4UUa4E

Captain Steel 12-04-16 04:40 PM

Uh-oh! Too much CONTROVERSY! :eek:

matt72582 12-04-16 05:06 PM

It's _______'s land because of the Bible :)

Camo 12-04-16 05:30 PM

Think people just don't feel like discussing such a hot button issue like Israel and Palestine on a movie forum, Captain. Got to admire you trying to bait people with it by continually bringing up Guaps forgotten first page post though.

seanc 12-04-16 05:46 PM

Israel Palestine discussions are exhausting. They just devolve into a chicken or the egg argument and it never ends or changes a mind.

Camo 12-04-16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1613861)
Israel Palestine discussions are exhausting. They just devolve into a chicken or the egg argument and it never ends or changes a mind.
Couldn't agree more. I know Captain has in the past taken from certain conversations with me and others that we were trying to stifle non-movie talk or something, for the record i wasn't when i said that it was about 90s Ace and how baffling i found it that he joined a movie forum to discuss what he did while pretty much never talking about movies. That's not it though if people want to talk about Israel-Palestine they will but he can't be surprised that his attempts to start a discussion on it the last few pages have failed when as you said it is such an exhausting topic.

SeeingisBelieving 12-04-16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1613713)
Speaking of Satan - is he evil or is he God's employee?
He allegedly rules hell and punishes sinners - so he's like a prison warden (usually a pretty well paid public servant employed by the government).
Which is interesting because Hades was just that in Greek Mythology, keeping the Titans and other threats confined to Tartarus. It bugs me when he's represented too much like the Devil because 'hell' is only one realm of his kingdom and he's also in charge of the afterlife for non-sinners.

Captain Steel 12-04-16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613851)
Think people just don't feel like discussing such a hot button issue like Israel and Palestine on a movie forum, Captain. Got to admire you trying to bait people with it by continually bringing up Guaps forgotten first page post though.
I like being admired. ;)

"continually"? It was only a couple posts in response to a genuinely controversial topic. ;)

Consider that I'm simply trying to consolidate the board and keep non-movie topics isolated and in their proper place for those who seek them out (just like Satan does by taking all the sinners and keeping them in hell) ... or ... I could just be baiting. Sounds like a controversy to me.

Captain Steel 12-04-16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1613875)
Which is interesting because Hades was just that in Greek Mythology, keeping the Titans and other threats confined to Tartarus. It bugs me when he's represented too much like the Devil because 'hell' is only one realm of his kingdom and he's also in charge of the afterlife for non-sinners.
You've gotta hand it to Satan - the 20th century was entirely his.

Sorry to bring movies back into this non-movie topic, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7bxbXUHW8g

Camo 12-04-16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1613970)
I like being admired. ;)

"continually"? It was only a couple posts in response to a genuinely controversial topic. ;)

Consider that I'm simply trying to consolidate the board and keep non-movie topics isolated and in their proper place for those who keep seek them out (just like Satan does by taking all the sinners and keeping them in hell) ... or ... I could just be baiting. Sounds like a controversy to me.
You said "is Guap joking?" then when nobody answered you and Citizen mentioned something else later you brought it up again asking if "surely he's joking?" which was obviously baiting because you aren't dumb and you know that isn't a weird view to have. After you posted your video that got no responses you then bumped it nearly a day later with a comment that was basically saying "oh wait is that too controversial for you guys?" when you should've (probably did but wanted to bait more anyway) realized that noone had any interest in discussing it.

Camo 12-04-16 10:17 PM

Controversial!

http://i66.tinypic.com/vsnhux.gif

Citizen Rules 12-04-16 10:17 PM

Captain, it's all good! This is a great thread, maybe MoFos will remember it for Best Thread of 2016:p

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1613875)
Interesting...I'm curious about this "he's also in charge of the afterlife for non-sinners"

What do you mean exactly?

Camo 12-04-16 10:21 PM

Captain, it's all good! This is a great thread, maybe MoFos will remember it for Best Thread of 2016
Well it's supposed to be controversial. I thought his obvious baiting and whining about people whining about all the talk here not being movie related even though noone has ever said that to him were relevant subjects.

Citizen Rules 12-04-16 10:24 PM

I didn't see that way, and I've known Captain for many more years than I've been at MoFo. I see it as he's trying to get the ball rolling and promoting the thread, so it don't die. I'm guessing that's why he posted those 10 topic starters hoping to get the convo rolling. Which is fine with me, talk of Satan or smoking vs anti smoking makes for an interesting time. But I don't know enough about Palestine to add anything much other than what I did.

Camo 12-04-16 10:28 PM

Captain is a great member. Just don't like that type of whining especially when it's related to another type of whining that he perceives here which as far as i can tell is non-existant. And yeah i'm aware of the irony of me whining about this.

Citizen Rules 12-04-16 10:33 PM

If you mean his comment about talking about non movie topics on a movie board. I think that might been inspired by me, because I complained that we did not need a sticky thread about terrorist. So ironically I thought it was about me!:D (But it probably wasn't)

CiCi 12-04-16 10:37 PM

I have to admit, I don't believe in Satan. I don't believe 'God' is a white man sitting in the sky either.

I do, however, believe in some form of creator. I just think our universe and everything in it is far too complex and beautiful for it just to be a coincidence. I've mentioned it before as well, but in the book The Color Purple one of the characters says something along the lines of "God is everything around you, everything that ever was, and everything that ever will be. It can't be defined through gender, and loves all the things you do. People shouldn't worry about pissing off God either, because it's always trying to please you" and I'd like to think this is similar to the truth.

I also firmly believe in an afterlife, I think partly because the optimist in me can't accept the possibility of life just ending here. Someone I knew quite well had a near death/out of body experience as well which I tend to cling onto.

But anyway, I don't believe in Satan, nor do I believe in the traditional definitions of God. Then again, I'm gay, of course I'm going to say things to piss off the Christians :p

Swan 12-04-16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1613984)
I don't believe 'God' is a white man sitting in the sky either.
Me neither. He is clearly the color purple.

CiCi 12-04-16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1613986)
Me neither. He is clearly the color purple.
Is there anything that book didn't get right? :p

Camo 12-04-16 10:42 PM

I think partly because the optimist in me can't accept the possibility of life just ending here. Someone I knew quite well had a near death/out of body experience as well which I tend to cling onto.
This is definitely why i was faithful for so long. Both of them, i think i've got alternate explanations for both (personally) but i really enjoyed your comment CiCi. :)

Captain Steel 12-04-16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613978)
Well it's supposed to be controversial. I thought his obvious baiting and whining about people whining about all the talk here not being movie related even though noone has ever said that to him were relevant subjects.
Now I'm confused, Camo. Do you like the thread or don't you?

Of course I'm baiting. When you think about it - every new thread (and there are new ones everyday) is a form of baiting. Members are baiting other members to engage them in conversation.

Camo 12-04-16 11:02 PM

That's fair. Your baiting was about a subject that had clearly passed (by noone responding to Guap) and that you kept bringing up to the point were it felt like you were forcing it. As i said if people wanted to talk about it they would, after the first four comments don't lead anywhere you should probably accept that people aren't interested though.

Camo 12-04-16 11:04 PM

Well at least you got us to talk about us not talking about it, Captain :eek:

ashdoc 12-04-16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613864)
Couldn't agree more. I know Captain has in the past taken from certain conversations with me and others that we were trying to stifle non-movie talk or something, for the record i wasn't when i said that it was about 90s Ace and how baffling i found it that he joined a movie forum to discuss what he did while pretty much never talking about movies. That's not it though if people want to talk about Israel-Palestine they will but he can't be surprised that his attempts to start a discussion on it the last few pages have failed when as you said it is such an exhausting topic.
this is the right forum for these discussions---

http://www.politicalforum.com/

Captain Steel 12-04-16 11:55 PM

The Satan question is always an interesting one. Perhaps Satan is not a distinct being FROM God, but is part of God, another aspect - the angry and jealous part (or the Old Testament), the punishing part (which Christians are taught will damn them for all eternity unless they accept Christ) the vengeful part (and vengeance is his, thus sayeth the Lord).

Perhaps the "trinity" is really Father, Son and Holy Satan?
Maybe God is like "the Force" - he has a light side that we call God and a dark side we call Satan and it is up to us which side of this power we tap into?

In the Hindu religion there is Brahman - this is the "Trimurti": the three-in-one God (similar to the Christian trinity), but Brahman is made up of Brahma (the creator), Vishnu (the preserver) and Shiva (the destroyer & transformer). Non-Hindus might see Shiva as similar to Satan because it is Shiva that destroys as part of the circle of life, the circle of creation, destruction and rebirth. Christians see Satan as a destroyer as well, but if death and destruction is necessary to the circle, then perhaps Satan is a necessary aspect of God the way Shiva is necessary to Brahman.

Captain Steel 12-05-16 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1613996)
That's fair. Your baiting was about a subject that had clearly passed (by noone responding to Guap) and that you kept bringing up to the point were it felt like you were forcing it. As i said if people wanted to talk about it they would, after the first four comments don't lead anywhere you should probably accept that people aren't interested though.
I'm not denying anything you said, Camo. Yes, I responded to Guap's post asking if it was a joke (I was baiting because the subject is totally controversial - and I think Sean pointed out how it almost can't be debated because the history is so complicated and so convoluted and the sides are so set in their opinions - which is another way of saying it's a very controversial topic).

Then you responded with an opinion on the topic, then Rules responded with an opinion, but then Steve Freeling responded with a somewhat different POV and a question - so I responded to him with an opinion and then another post containing a video to give back up to what I'd said. In other words, we had a little conversation going. So discussing the topic garnered SOME interest for a short while, but it ended quickly.

As to what inspired this thread - it was inspired by several things (as hinted at in the OP), especially some of Guap's recent "controversial" posts. But since it was inspired by several things (and since I am a satirist who will try to incorporate as much irony as possible), people should stop taking things so personally = i.e. I'm not making fun of any one of you in particular, I'm making fun of all of you! ;)

TONGO 12-05-16 12:24 AM

Allright! Lets talk about global warming, and how our shill of a President-elect thinks its a Chinese conspiracy....yknow like Obama wasnt born in the U.S. :rolleyes:
This articles a few days old but you get the idea...

Snow in Hawaii, For Real

http://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/1...-editorial.jpg

This picture was the view from the summit on Mauna Kea on Hawaii on Thursday. That is not a typo, Hawaii had snow. A lot of it.

HONOLULU (AP) — It's wintertime in Hawaii.

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a winter storm warning for the summits of Hawaii's Big Island as wind and snow engulf the high peaks.

Up to a foot of snow is possible on the summits of Hawaii's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes above 12,000 feet. Workers at the summit of Mauna Kea, where several of the world's most advanced telescopes are located, have been removing wind swept snow drifts along the access road all day. The summit is currently closed to the public because of icy and dangerous conditions.

Meteorologists say the summits could see periods of heavy snow with wind gusts up to 50 miles per hour through Friday evening.

http://www.usnews.com/news/national-...buried-in-snow

Captain Steel 12-29-16 11:11 PM

I hate talkin' politics, but how about Obama & Kerry's last minute parting shot at Israel?

(I hear that whole Israel / Palestinian thing is controversial).

Funny that Kerry never mentioned that during Palestine's history of dealings with Israel they've turned their back on every peace offer, refused every compromise, have broken every treaty, have broken every cease fire, have broken every deal, how they took millions of aid money that Israel gave them to help their people and used it to build "terror tunnels" (so they could murder Israeli families in their homes) and buy munitions for more terror attacks against Israel, have answered every single call for peace with continuous rocket attacks on Israeli neighborhoods, and have responded to all concessions by kidnapping and murdering Israeli soldiers, men, women and children, and murdering Israelis in the streets.

I think Netanyahu said something about the "root" of the problem. The root of the problem that no one wants to talk about is that you have a democratic nation that holds western values trying to deal with Islam - an ideology that says all Jews (along with all other "infidels") must die. We are going to find out what Israel already knows when Iran begins their back-stabbing over the nuclear "deal" (based in "takiyyah" like all Islamic "deals" with infidels) soon.

Hopefully I've thrown out enough "controversial" words & ideas to jump start conversations! :)

Citizen Rules 12-29-16 11:16 PM

Oh, I just seen this thread bumped and I thought it might be about political correctness. Now that's a controversial subject, or so I hear;)

Captain Steel 12-29-16 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1620984)
Oh, I just seen this thread bumped and I thought it might be about political correctness. Now that's a controversial subject, or so I hear;)
First we need to define it, which is not easy.

I've always said that the intentions of PC are basically good, but those intentions became corrupted when some people realized the kinds of rewards they could reap by becoming "offended" and being victims. It is a set of double standards practiced by a philosophical camp that shouts "equality" while then engaging in the very inequitable double standards it claims it opposes.

Boiled down; it's a duplicitous scheme by those who want to take from others (whether it's money, property, accolades, apportions, rights, recognition, definitions, etc. ) by claiming victimhood while they simultaneously claim to be ethically superior and thus entitled to a greater compensation than anyone they deem politically incorrect.

Citizen Rules 12-29-16 11:54 PM

I remember a long time ago, on a board far, far away;) having a discussion on what PC meant. I was surprised it meant different things to different people. Take for example changing descriptive phrases. Is this an example of PCness? or something else?

When I was a kid a neighborhood kid was deaf, and if someone described his condition they would say that he was deaf and dumb. Not meaning it as an insult, that was the common term then. As the years go by dumb is dropped (thank goodness as it seems insulting to me) and he's called simply deaf. But that word changes to hearing disabled, as not all deaf people are fully deaf. Latter still that term went out of use and hearing impaired was in vogue. Now the term hearing challenged is commonly used.

So is that what people call being PC or is that something different?

Captain Steel 12-30-16 12:05 AM

That is a very rudimentary form of PC - and one that is relatively benign.
The word dumb originally only meant mute, but mute people were erroneously thought of as stupid due to their difficulties in communicating, thus "dumb" took on an additional definition of "stupid." It was a word evolution that was based on erroneous & prejudicial ideas.

The same process has exploded in modern times but to ridiculous degrees - with college campuses coming up with lists of "trigger" words that they want banned because they might make someone feel they are not currently in their "safe space." Many of these allegedly offensive words (most of which were formerly never considered offensive) are simply a case where a word may have multiple definitions.

Nostromo87 12-30-16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1614051)
Allright! Lets talk about global warming, and how our shill of a President-elect thinks its a Chinese conspiracy....yknow like Obama wasnt born in the U.S. :rolleyes:
This articles a few days old but you get the idea...

Snow in Hawaii, For Real

http://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/1...-editorial.jpg

This picture was the view from the summit on Mauna Kea on Hawaii on Thursday. That is not a typo, Hawaii had snow. A lot of it.

HONOLULU (AP) — It's wintertime in Hawaii.

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a winter storm warning for the summits of Hawaii's Big Island as wind and snow engulf the high peaks.

Up to a foot of snow is possible on the summits of Hawaii's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes above 12,000 feet. Workers at the summit of Mauna Kea, where several of the world's most advanced telescopes are located, have been removing wind swept snow drifts along the access road all day. The summit is currently closed to the public because of icy and dangerous conditions.

Meteorologists say the summits could see periods of heavy snow with wind gusts up to 50 miles per hour through Friday evening.

http://www.usnews.com/news/national-...buried-in-snow
So...
-
Global warming = snow in Hawaii?

-
Ha

-
HA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LyncJlJpE
-
HAHAHA

Gatsby 12-30-16 12:33 AM

Climate change is the correct term actually. The concept of "Global Warming" is outdated.

And uh, y'all know that snow in Hawaii doesn't change everything right?

Nostromo87 12-30-16 01:20 AM

Green frog nitpicks nitpicks like crazy certain cases and not so much in others, picks and chooses

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2is6nol.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7XM6NZorU

Captain Steel 01-01-17 10:23 PM

I want to start off the New Year by challenging everyone to be as Politically INcorrect (a synonym for which is "honest") from now on! :)

Which is more controversial: Political Correctness or Political INcorrectness?

Iroquois 01-01-17 10:25 PM

From the looks of this place, I'd say it's being politically correct that would prove the bigger challenge.