Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thursday's Top 100 (2016) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44565)

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:03 PM

Thursday's Top 100 (2016)

Thursday's Top 100 - 10th Anniversary Edition

I last did my top 100 in February 2006, 10 years ago, so I thought it was about time to redo it. Tastes change, and I’ve seen a lot of movies in the last ten years. I’ve actually tried several times to make a top 100 list since then, but ordering movies is hard. I tried to do a top 250, but believe it or not that was even harder. I’ve had to leave some really good movies off this list because I just didn’t have room for them, and on another day the choices and the order could be wildly different (I had at least fifty movies to try to squeeze into the bottom 25 slots, and I'm still sorry I couldn't fit in Repo! The Genetic Opera), but here is a rough guide to a bunch of movies I love.

Get ready for arthouse, mainstream, cult, foreign, British, sci-fi, musicals, zombies, gay teen drama, dogme, obvious choices, never-heard-of-it choices, iron clad classics and guilty pleasures.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:03 PM

#100 X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
#99 Parked (2010)
#98 Gone With the Wind (1939)
#97 The Lion in Winter (1968)
#96 Miller's Crossing (1990)

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:18 PM

Re: Thursday's Top 100 (2016)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...-nhOA13zZ0mxo_

This is the inclusion I'm most likely to change my mind about, which is why it's sitting here at 100. As a film it's not perfect, but I've loved X-Men since I used to watch the cartoon as a kid, they're easier to relate to and more interesting than a single superpowered man in a cape. Although I do like a good cape. This reboot of the franchise with Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult has breathed new life into it, with Future Past my favourite of the series so far. It's just a lot of fun.

Favourite parts: Quicksilver helping Magneto escape from prison, and any scenes in which Charles Xavier and Magneto glare at each other over their break up in the previous film.

Honourable Mention: X-Men First Class

seanc 02-16-16 01:27 PM

Wasn't expecting that for a first pick. I like X-Men fine, but haven't loved any of the movies. First Class comes the closest. Yeas, that Quicksilver scene is incredible.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:28 PM

Parked (2010)

http://www.unsungfilms.com/wp-conten.../parked_03.jpg

Low budget Irish (with some Finnish input) film about a man (Colm Meaney) who finds himself homeless on returning to Dublin and has to live in his car. A young drug user (Colin Morgan) moves into his car park and the two make unlikely friends. It's both humorous and melancholy and it's beautifully shot. A little heavy handed in patches but I've seen this twice now and found it very moving each time.

If you like this you might like: If under the radar Irish films are your thing, also check out Inside I'm Dancing (2004)

honeykid 02-16-16 01:33 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your list, TN. :)

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:47 PM

Gone With the Wind (1939)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...d_Restored.jpg

I feel like this film is often misunderstood, usually by people who haven't seen it. Scarlett O'Hara is the ultimate anti-heroine, scheming, selfish and bad to the bone, but damned good at it, and you can't help but admire her determination. She adores Ashley Wilkes but he's probably a klan member and as much unworthy of her affection as out of reach. Only too late does she realise she's missed her chance with the charming scoundrel Rhett Butler. Yes, a lot of the characters are racists, but it doesn't follow that the film itself is. Hattie McDaniel was the first African American woman to win an acting Oscar for her role in this film - and more than seventy years later we have the #oscarssowhite controversy.

At nearly four hours long, it's a marathon watch, but if you're going to look at something for four hours it might as well be something as gorgeous as this, with lush sets and eye-popping colours.

Memorable Quote: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Thursday Next 02-16-16 01:57 PM

The Lion in Winter (1968)

http://daaamndog.com/wordpress/wp-co..._001636220.jpg

King Henry II, his wife, mistress, three sons and Philip II of France all variously plot against each other. I hadn't seen this when it appeared on the MoFo 1960s list, but soon rectified that mistake. What a delight to watch. Witty, cutting, at times amusingly anachronistic dialogue "Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians!" All of the characters are awful, of course. Your family rows have nothing on this. Fantastic acting, though, especially from Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. Also, obviously a big influence on Blackadder.

Memorable quotes: "Well, what shall we hang... the holly, or each other?"

False Writer 02-16-16 02:11 PM

Always good to have another list to follow! :)

The X-Men movies are just okay to me, not bad but just can't get into them like so many others can. I've never heard of Parked but looks interesting. Gone With the Wind is my sister's favorite movie, I can't even remember if I actually saw it all the whole way through but definitely remember seeing parts of it multiple times (especially the ending). I watched The Lion in Winter when it was the movie of the month for January; very fine film indeed, great choice!

Great start Thursday Next, I will be following! :up:

seanc 02-16-16 02:25 PM

Of the first four, Parked is the only one I haven't seen. I like a of the other 3 well enough.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 03:00 PM

I tried nominating Parked for a tournament once. I had to replace it because it wasn't widely available, I don't think it had been released in the US at the time.

Camo 02-16-16 03:06 PM

Really great to see you doing this TN :up:

So far i have only seen Gone With the Wind which is a great start since it is one of my favourite movies, Vivien Leigh as Scarlett is also my favourite female performance. I know it is something everyone says about long films but i honestly never felt the time here even when i first watched it when i was 13 i didn't realize how long i had spent watching it until after it was finished.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 03:11 PM

Miller's Crossing (1990)

http://dorkshelf.com/wordpress/wp-co...crossing_5.jpg

"Nobody knows anybody. Not that well."

Perhaps controversially, this is the only Coen Brothers movie on my list. It works well as a violent gangster movie, and a darkly comic pastiche of gangster movies. The cast is good, I like Gabriel Byrne. The plot is absorbing but not incomprehensible and it looks good.

Honourable Mentions: The Big Lebowski, which is probably the only other Coen movie I really like.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 03:12 PM

I'll probably try and do a batch of five a day, by the way.

honeykid 02-16-16 03:46 PM

GWTW and Miller's Crossing are both on my 100, so naturally I'm delighted to see them here. The Lion in Winter is something which I really enjoyed and a film which could threaten to make my own 100, should I see it the requisite number of times.

BTW, have you seen the tv remake with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close? It's good.

christine 02-16-16 04:10 PM

Nice! will be following your list TN as we have some similar tastes :)

Camo 02-16-16 04:11 PM

Miller's Crossing is another great pick. Top five Coen film for me.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1460181)
BTW, have you seen the tv remake with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close? It's good.
No, I haven't seen it but I plan to check it out.

MovieMeditation 02-16-16 04:39 PM

Read and repped the bunch so far. Good stuff. I like the X-Men movies, though I remember preferring First Class above Days of Future Past.

Gone with the Wind is a classic and I liked it a lot. I want to revisit it, but it's not exactly a go-to film. ;) I still haven't seen Miller's Crossing, I need to dive into all the Coen's works...

Looking forward to more!

Miss Vicky 02-16-16 06:21 PM

:up: for doing this.

I enjoyed Gone With the Wind but haven't seen anything else you've listed so far. I'll be interested to see what the rest of the list holds.

Thursday Next 02-16-16 06:26 PM

I know you'll approve of at least one of my picks, MV, but it's not showing up just yet ;)

cricket 02-16-16 08:39 PM

I've found some new favorites thanks to you, so I'm looking forward to this.

I liked Days of Futures Past, but not nearly as much as my favorite of the series, First Class. I'd say it's my second favorite.

I thought Miller's Crossing was very good, but not close to a favorite.

Not a Lion in Winter fan; it's just not for me.

I haven't seen Gone With the Wind yet, I'm ashamed to say.

Never heard of Parked.

Gatsby 02-17-16 01:04 AM

Days or Future Past is my fav X-Men film too! I also like Miller's Crossing, but I wouldn't say it's top-tier Coen bros.

Thursday Next 02-17-16 10:48 AM

I think Miller's Crossing maybe doesn't have some of the things some people like in a Coen Brothers film - but maybe that's why I do like it best!

Thursday Next 02-18-16 05:45 AM

The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover (1989)

http://366weirdmovies.com/wp-content..._her_lover.jpg

Absolutely horrible and at the same time entirely compelling. I watched this after it appeared on the 80s Countdown on here. Helen Mirren plays the wife of a repulsive, violent, abusive gangster (Michael Gambon) who has an affair with another, kinder man. Food, sex, murder and eventually cannibalism, all played out in the bizarrely, brilliantly colour-coded restaurant. This is the only one of Peter Greenaway’s films I have seen that actually made sense to me. Beautiful but brutal, and probably not for everyone.

See also: There’s nothing quite like this, but it film reminded me of Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus, so Titus (1999) is also worth checking out. See also The Long Good Friday (1980) more gangsters, more Helen Mirren, another good film.

Thursday Next 02-18-16 05:50 AM

Fanny and Alexander (1982)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...r_2169785b.jpg

An epic, masterful film detailing the lives of members of a large theatrical family at the start of the 20th Century, especially the changes which affect two young children when their mother remarries. Beautiful, funny, touching and frightening.

I’ve seen a few Bergman films now but there’s only two I really think are fantastic and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they’re both in colour.

Thursday Next 02-18-16 05:54 AM

The Crying Game (1992)

https://thebestpictureproject.files....ryinggame2.jpg

Brit thriller which deservedly won Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars. Superb performances from Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson and Jaye Davidson (whose only other film was Stargate). IRA member Fergus (Rea) befriends a soldier, Jody (Forest Whittaker), who has been kidnapped by his fellow terrorists. He then decides he wants out and heads to London to seek out Jody’s girlfriend, Dil. Everybody has secrets and Fergus’ past comes back to haunt him. The power of this film doesn't at all lie with the supposed 'twist', it is the effect of the characters' secrets and revelations on each other that are important, not any kind of audience surprise.

Honourable Mentions: The End of the Affair and Interview With the Vampire are two other great Neil Jordan films I wanted to squeeze onto my list but had to cut, although if you’re looking for similar films to The Crying Game, Mona Lisa or Breakfast on Pluto would probably fit that bill best.

Thursday Next 02-18-16 05:58 AM

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

https://media4.giphy.com/media/XG19rfJoze6ic/200_s.gif

This is an old favourite I have fond memories of. I first saw it when I was fifteen (on a double date, we missed the start because my friend showed up late). I know Baz Luhrmann is pretty much a love or hate director. Personally I love this colourful, kinetic version of Shakespeare. I like the way they updated the setting without losing the language. I love the pop soundtrack. It’s all about as crazy and romantic a vision of teenage love as you could ask for.

Thursday Next 02-18-16 06:09 AM

Maurice (1987)

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...75-624-352.jpg

"England has always been disinclined to accept human nature."

There are several Merchant Ivory films of E.M. Forster books, but this is by far my favourite. Sadly it also seems to be the most overlooked. Of course it’s all about sex and love, class and Englishness in Edwardian society and how all of those things get in each other’s way. At university, Maurice (James Wilby) falls in love with upper class Clive (an early role for Hugh Grant) but he insists on their relationship remaining platonic. Eventually Maurice finds a freer expression of love with Clive’s gamekeeper (Rupert Graves). A really good romantic period drama.

Camo 02-18-16 07:59 AM

The Cook... is a great choice, Romeo + Juliet too haven't seen it in years i really liked it at the time though. The Crying Game was spoiled for me so it only turned out ok, glad Interview With The Vampire got a mention, love that film. Never heard of Maurice sounds interesting.

honeykid 02-18-16 09:09 AM

I've not seen Maurice or Fanny And Alexander, but I repped them because you mentioned The Long Good Friday and Interview With The Vampire. :up:

The others were repped because I like them. :)

cricket 02-18-16 09:17 AM

Only seen The Crying Game and The Cook so far from this page-both excellent!

TheUsualSuspect 02-18-16 09:21 AM

10 years is a long time. Looking forward to see the change up.

Gatsby 02-18-16 09:25 AM

Fanny and Alexander is awesome. I would have liked The Crying Game more if it had a different twist.

Miss Vicky 02-18-16 11:06 AM

Of this latest set, I've seen only Romeo + Juliet and don't care for it at all.

I've been meaning to watch Fanny and Alexander and especially The Crying Game, which I blind bought probably a decade ago.

seanc 02-18-16 11:54 AM

The last five I have only seen 2. Fanny & Alexander is brilliant. Didn't care for Romeo +Julier. Shakespeare adaptations are definitely not my thing thus far in my film watching.

Daniel M 02-18-16 11:59 AM

Miller's Crossing, Fanny and Alexander and The Cook... are all great films for me. Days of Future Past was decent, I probably agree it's the strongest entry in the series, but I'm not a fan of Romeo + Juliet or Gone With The Wind really either (Hides from you and Honeykid) :p

Looking forward to the rest of the list :)

honeykid 02-18-16 12:18 PM

Considering all the pointless crap you're impressed by in film, how can you not go for R+J? :p

Camo 02-18-16 12:27 PM

or Gone With The Wind really either (Hides from you and Honeykid)
And me :hogan:

christine 02-21-16 08:44 AM

I love The Crying Game and Maurice.

Thursday Next 02-21-16 04:39 PM

I knew Romeo + Juliet would be divisive. Some even more controversial picks coming up today, though...

Thursday Next 02-21-16 04:46 PM

Requiem For a Dream (2000)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-peopl...?itok=UTpZc4-6

"I'm gonna be on television."

I know this is either a love it or hate it film, but I thought it was fantastic. Visually interesting, genuinely shocking, more of a horror film than many movies that claim to be. Excellent acting, especially from Ellen Burstyn. Great soundtrack too.

Thursday Next 02-21-16 04:51 PM

The Double Life of Veronique (1991)

https://cinematorium.files.wordpress...veronique1.jpg

"Why two?"

Gorgeous, hypnotic film with a slightly creepy fairy tale vibe. Two identical women (both played by Irene Jacob), one in Poland, one in France, who have never met are connected. When one dies suddenly, the other decides to change her life, and becomes involved with a mysterious puppeteer. The music is incredible and intrinsic to the film.

Honourable Mention: The Three Colours trilogy, especially Red, not on the list but also good films.

Citizen Rules 02-21-16 04:52 PM

I just found this thread, nicely done too. Of the films you've have, I've seen 3...

#98 Gone With the Wind (1939) I liked what you said about it. Great film, that the young PC kids don't get.

#97 The Lion in Winter (1968) I admired the acting and the sets, but not a real favorite of mine.

#92 Romeo + Juliet (1996) I hated the Great Gatsby by the same director. I did see Romeo + Juliet 20 years ago so not sure how I would feel now, but at the time I did like it as it captured the spirit of young love.

Thursday Next 02-21-16 04:59 PM

Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) (1994)

https://supermarcey.files.wordpress....yman.jpg?w=551

"I'd give my life to be dead."

I watched this when it was nominated for a tournament here on movieforums. I knew I was going to like it pretty much straight away. Something about the very nineties look of it appealed to me. Rupert Everett plays a cemetery grounds keeper who fights zombies. Sometimes naked. Comedy horror and zombies are my kind of horror. This film is frequently disgusting and towards the end it gets increasingly dark and deranged but the off-beat charm of the whole thing carries it through to the brilliantly surreal ending.

Thursday Next 02-21-16 05:02 PM

Bronson (2008)

http://assets.fightland.com/content-...son-700-v2.jpg

A bravura piece of filmmaking from Nicholas Winding Refn. It doesn’t, as some detractors claim, glorify ‘Britain’s most violent prisoner’. That title, along with the name Charles Bronson, is one the disturbed man claims for himself as one of his flights of celebrity fantasy. In his mind he’s some kind of ultra-violent superstar, but in reality he’s languishing alone behind bars. Tom Hardy gives an excellent performance (probably his best after Stuart: A Life Backwards). The soundtrack is well chosen and visually it’s astonishing.

Thursday Next 02-21-16 05:05 PM

Life of Brian (1979)

http://staticmass.net/wp-content/upl...12/brian_4.jpg

“Always look on the bright side of life.”

So Monty Python and the Holy Grail may be strictly speaking the funniest Python film, but this one is more coherent as a film with more of a blend of the silly and satirical. Controversial when it was released, this is the story of Brian, who lives around the same time as Jesus and sometimes gets mistaken for the Messiah. I find the jokes about the People's Front of Judea and their pointless in-fighting particularly spot-on.

Memorable quotes: “He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, piss off!”

Thursday Next 02-21-16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1463594)
#92 Romeo + Juliet (1996) I hated the Great Gatsby by the same director. I did see Romeo + Juliet 20 years ago so not sure how I would feel now, but at the time I did like it as it captured the spirit of young love.
I didn't much like The Great Gatsby either. I didn't feel like the over the top style with anachronistic songs suited that particular story so much I loved Luhrmann's first three films, the 'red curtain trilogy', but Australia and The Great Gatsby have missed the mark, for me.

Miss Vicky 02-21-16 06:02 PM

Don't care at all for Requiem for a Dream or Life of Brian.

:up: for Bronson though.

P.S. - I really like Luhrmann's Great Gatsby, but I guess I'm in the minority there.

cricket 02-21-16 06:09 PM

Love Requiem for a Dream, but hated Bronson:)

Citizen Rules 02-21-16 06:12 PM

Haven't seen Requiem for a Dream or Bronson....but loved Life of Brian:)

christine 02-21-16 06:22 PM

I think both Requiem and Bronson are excellent films. and how can anyone dislike The Life of Brian? I must try and watch Veronique again as I never finished it.

Mr Minio 02-21-16 07:46 PM

Just watched Life of Brian today. The only part I found funny was the Biggus Dickus part. Apart from that it was mediocre.

honeykid 02-22-16 09:47 AM

Rep for Requiem and The Double Life Of Veronique. Beautiful film.

False Writer 02-22-16 11:58 AM

Rep for Bronson. The only other one I've seen is Requiem, which I wasn't a fan of.

Camo 02-22-16 08:44 PM

I'm not that big a fan of Bronson but i thought Hardy was fantastic. Life of Brian is good. i prefer The Holy Grail. Of the others i'm most interested in seeing The Double Life of Veronique since i loved the colours trilogy especially Red like you.

Gatsby 02-22-16 08:49 PM

Requiem for a Dream and The Double Life of Veronique are amazing. :up:

Even though I'm a Christian, I absolutely love Life of Brian, because it's mocking the misconceptions about the religion people had at that time (and still do), and not Christianity itself. Monty Python's humor style always hits and never misses; during my first viewing I couldn't get a glass of water because I was laughing too hard at some scenes. Also, greatest ending to a film ever? :p
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1463622)

P.S. - I really like Luhrmann's Great Gatsby, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
Yes you are.

the samoan lawyer 02-23-16 09:05 AM

Rep for everything on this list bar Cemetary Man which I confess Ive never even heard of. Great list so far.

Thursday Next 02-23-16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1464574)
Of the others i'm most interested in seeing The Double Life of Veronique since i loved the colours trilogy especially Red like you.
If you liked Red, you'll probably like Veronique. There's a lot of red in it. And a bit of green.

Also, somebody here must have seen Cemetery Man. Someone nominated it for that tournament.

honeykid 02-23-16 06:46 PM

I've seen it. I didn't like it. It's not my kind of thing. Not that it's bad, just that it's meh.

edarsenal 02-23-16 11:13 PM

I knew I was gonna like this when i saw lion in winter in the first post

quite a few films i love in here and your list is quite prolific= very cool!!

Thursday Next 02-24-16 12:42 PM

24 Hour Party People (2002)

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com...artypeople.jpg

"I'm a minor player in my own life story."

I like films that break the fourth wall, and this one does it with panache. A sort-of almost true story of Tony Wilson, Factory Records and the Manchester music scene from the seventies to the nineties from Joy Division to the Happy Mondays. If you’re at all interested in music it’s a must see, and even if you’re not it’s pretty funny.

Memorable moment: When God appears to Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan) in his own image and tells him he should have signed The Smiths.

See also: A Cock and Bull Story, also directed by Winterbottom, featuring a lot of the same cast is in much the same vein as this.

Thursday Next 02-24-16 12:45 PM

Rebecca (1940)

https://cinescapism.files.wordpress....rebecca1tn.jpg

A dark, romantic gothic drama in gorgeously shadowy black and white. Joan Fontaine is the innocent second Mrs De Winter, who finds herself overshadowed by the memory of her new husband’s first wife, Rebecca (with some assistance from the sinister Mrs Danvers).

Honourable mentions: Psycho, Rear Window and North by Northwest, none of which made the cut this time around, although there is one more Hitchcock film higher up on this list.

honeykid 02-24-16 12:46 PM

I really like 24 Hour Party People I remember doing a commentary with SC for this. He wasn't too impressed IIRC.

Thursday Next 02-24-16 12:48 PM

Let the Right One In (2008)

http://hackedofffilms.com/wp-content...in-cover-3.jpg

“I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time.”

There are more horror films on this list than I would have thought, but they’re pretty much all zombies or vampires. This one’s not a comedy, though. Tomas Alfredson directs this gorgeously shot story of a lonely, bullied boy, Oskar, who befriends a mysterious vampire girl, Eli. It’s genuinely scary and horrifying, but at the same time sad, tender and bittersweet in it’s portrayal of the blossoming friendship between Oskar and Eli. The chilly landscape of a small Swedish town is practically a character in itself. A unique and thought-provoking film.

Thursday Next 02-24-16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1465366)
I really like 24 Hour Party People I remember doing a commentary with SC for this. He wasn't too impressed IIRC.
Maybe it was just a bit too British for him. You do need to be familiar with the references to find it properly funny, I think.

rexertea 02-24-16 01:01 PM

When you are talking about acting - then the 'The Lion in Winter (1968) is an absolute gem. Some may not like the movie that much, but you have to salute the actors, and don't forget Hepburn.

neiba 02-24-16 01:03 PM

Rebecca is one of the next films I'll watch! :)

Thumbs up for Let the Right One In, beautiful movie!!!

Citizen Rules 02-24-16 01:03 PM

Very happy to see some respect for Rebecca 1940:)

edarsenal 02-24-16 01:11 PM

24 hour party people sounds like a great watch

reps for rebecca and let the right one in

Thursday Next 02-24-16 01:18 PM

Sin City (2005)

http://photos.bravenet.com/272/478/925/3/EA4EBCC640.jpg

“That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'.”

I hadn't thought about this for a while, but then I recently read The Hard Goodbye graphic novel, and it reminded me of how much I love this film. It captures the look and the feel of the comic source material excellently. In an era of 12A rated Avengers movies, it’s refreshing to have something this adult. And by adult I don’t just mean full of violence and nudity, although it is, but dark and sinister where the characters face difficult choices, but at the same time it's energetic and fun. Most of all it looks fantastic.

Thursday Next 02-24-16 01:19 PM

Dancer in the Dark (2000)

http://s0.cinema.com/image_lib/3940_31_33.jpg

I read about this before I watched it and was fully prepared to dislike it. It sounded manipulative and I decided I wasn’t going to let it get me. It absolutely got me. When he’s good, Von Trier is very good.

Selma (Bjork) loves musicals and hears music and rhythm in the oddest things, like machines at the factory she works at. She is a naive and optimistic person whose main purpose in life is to save money for an operation to stop her child from going blind. Von Trier likes his heroines to suffer, so naturally, things don’t go well for her. This might be one of the bleakest films I have ever seen, but it’s also one of the most unique.

Camo 02-24-16 01:19 PM

Let The Right One In is amazing.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Remember Eli is not a girl though ;).

Haven't watched Rebecca yet will soon, the other one has never looked like something i would enjoy.

Camo 02-24-16 01:21 PM

Dancer in the Dark really destroyed me when i first watched it. Great film :up:

Still haven't watched Sin City.

honeykid 02-24-16 03:39 PM

I haven't seen Sin City since it came out. I was surprised at how much I liked it back then.

SilentVamp 02-24-16 07:02 PM

Gone With The Wind - I love seeing it on the list. I don't expect everyone to see this as the best film of all-time, but it is a little disappointing that as the years go by, it is becoming less and less appreciated for the incredibly good film that it is. I think this stigma that it seems to have that it is racist is what hurts it. Of course, I would like to argue and say that people should go against its source, the original book. You want some racism? Read the book! But as I always say, though, consider the times (and even the location) that this story is taking place. It really isn't as bad as people want to think it is. It is a beautifully filmed story with great acting (particularly by Clark Gable - I think he is the standout in the film). As for the length, 4 hours is nothing when there is an intermission. :) Try reading 1,024 pages of the book. Now there is a marathon! :D I read all of those in 5 days. I was 12. Got the book for Christmas and I couldn't put it down.

I guess, in a way, I like the book more, but there is one thing that the movie has over the book. It is Rhett's final line. All they did was add the word "Frankly" to that line and it gave it so much more strength to how he felt about it all. I loved it.

Maurice - Another one where I read the book first. I was only 11 when I read this one. :eek: My mom owned it and I wanted to read something and it sounded interesting. It is now one of my favorite books. I did a book report on it when I was 14 for extra credit. Thank goodness I had an open-minded English teacher. :) But that film....oh, how I LOVE the film!! You have it much lower than I'd have it (it would be in my top 20 films), but nevertheless, I am so happy to see it on the list. I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever seen it. :) It is one of my favorite adaptations because it is very faithful to the original story. The acting is flawless (and the 3 leads are very easy to look at ;)). The scenery, the costumes and overall atmosphere is beautiful. The soundtrack is in my top 5 of film scores. It is a very romantic film. It is just so sad how underrated it seems to be. It is far superior, I think, to their other E.M. Forster adaptations (though I quite like them, too). I could go on and on about it, but I will spare everyone that. But this is one of those movies that I can watch repeatedly and never tire of it.

Thursday Next 02-25-16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1465418)
I haven't seen Sin City since it came out. I was surprised at how much I liked it back then.
It surprised me too. Even my husband likes it and he wouldn't normally touch a comic book movie. I think it's just an example of something done really well.

Thursday Next 02-25-16 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by SilentVamp (Post 1465561)
Maurice - Another one where I read the book first. I was only 11 when I read this one. :eek: My mom owned it and I wanted to read something and it sounded interesting. It is now one of my favorite books. I did a book report on it when I was 14 for extra credit. Thank goodness I had an open-minded English teacher. :) But that film....oh, how I LOVE the film!! You have it much lower than I'd have it (it would be in my top 20 films), but nevertheless, I am so happy to see it on the list. I was starting to think I was the only one who'd ever seen it. :) It is one of my favorite adaptations because it is very faithful to the original story. The acting is flawless (and the 3 leads are very easy to look at ;)). The scenery, the costumes and overall atmosphere is beautiful. The soundtrack is in my top 5 of film scores. It is a very romantic film. It is just so sad how underrated it seems to be. It is far superior, I think, to their other E.M. Forster adaptations (though I quite like them, too). I could go on and on about it, but I will spare everyone that. But this is one of those movies that I can watch repeatedly and never tire of it.
So glad to find someone else who likes Maurice (film and book)! I think Christine is an fan, too. I think if I had seen it more often, it would be higher up on my list. It's one of those movies I keep meaning to watch again, but for some reason no-one in my family ever seems as keen. I really think it is criminally underrated. I would have thought a fairly straightforward romantic story like Maurice would be more popular than Howard's End, which is mostly about someone leaving someone else a house in their will and somebody borrowing an umbrella.

Thursday Next 02-25-16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1465381)
Let The Right One In is amazing. Remember Eli is not a girl though ;).
All right, I was trying to do without spoilers. Fancy giving away some Crying Game spoilers as well? ;)

WARNING: "Let the Right One In" spoilers below
That was something I liked in the film, when Eli kept saying things like 'I'm not a girl', you assume it's because Eli is a vampire, until more about Eli's past is revealed.

Camo 02-25-16 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1466307)
All right, I was trying to do without spoilers. Fancy giving away some Crying Game spoilers as well? ;)

That was something I liked in the film, when Eli kept saying things like 'I'm not a girl', you assume it's because Eli is a vampire, until more about Eli's past is revealed.
haha. You are right i didn't even think of that as a spoiler for some reason, i'll go back and tag it.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
That's exactly how i thought of it and i always thought Oskar believed that too until later on when we find out more as you said.

Miss Vicky 02-25-16 12:46 PM

Not a fan of Sin City or Let the Right One In, haven't seen the rest.

mark f 02-25-16 01:01 PM

There are no spoilers later revealed about Eli - they were in the book only. The quick flash of nudity certainly proves nothing. These are all "non-spoiler spoilers". :)

cricket 02-25-16 04:17 PM

Really liked Dancer in the Dark, Let the Right One In, and 24 Hour Part People.

Love Rebecca and Sin City!

the samoan lawyer 02-26-16 08:52 AM

Great last set Thursday. 24 hour Party People and Rebecca are both favourites of mine. That soundtrack for 24 is sublime and Rebecca is possibly the best Hitch.

christine 02-26-16 09:11 AM

Agreed. Love 24 Hour Party People and Rebecca too. Let the Right One In is also a favourite.

Thursday Next 02-27-16 06:48 PM

In the Mood For Love (2000)

http://sensesofcinema.com/wp-content...d-for-Love.jpg

"Feelings can creep up just like that. I thought I was in control."

The title sums up the film, it’s about love, but it’s just as much about the mood. Composition and emotion are inextricably intertwined in a sort of Brief Encounter-style story of unconsummated longing set in 1960s Hong Kong, with plenty of shots through doorways of people staring wistfully into the distance. Wong Kar Wai’s best film.

Thursday Next 02-27-16 06:51 PM

12 Angry Men (1957)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yrWzc6b0yk...2AngryMen9.png

"I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure."

This was the film that made me realise that films didn’t need to have all the things I thought I liked in films. They just had to be good at whatever they did. 12 Angry Men is a very simple, stripped down film, one setting, all talk, black and white, no fancy camera work, but it’s gripping as anything. Great performances and a thought-provoking script.

Thursday Next 02-27-16 06:55 PM

#78 Wild Zero (1999)

http://cinapse.co/wp-content/uploads...ild-zero-4.jpg

"Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!"
"Rock 'n Roll is NOT over! Rock 'n Roll NEVER DIES!"

After saving his favourite band, Guitar Wolf, from an evil manager, hapless fan Ace finds himself in the middle of an alien zombie apocalypse and romances the shy Tobio. There’s also a sub-plot involving a badass female arms dealer who fights zombies in the shower, exploding heads and guitar picks used as weapons.

If this sounds like the sort of thing you might like, then this is the sort of thing you might like. Hugely entertaining, with energy, off -beat humour, romance and tongue in cheek zombie action, it’s absurd cult fun that defies normal critical standards.

Honourable mention: Shaun of the Dead, another rom-zom-com that didn’t quite make the cut.

Thursday Next 02-27-16 06:59 PM

The Rules of the Game (1939)

https://witneyman.files.wordpress.co...nd-marceau.jpg

"The awful thing about life is this: Everybody has their reasons."

This is one of those films that I’m not quite sure how to explain exactly why I like it. It’s not just one thing, or even a list of identifiable features - acting, cinematography, score etc. It’s just such a complete film, humour, tragedy, love, folly, the whole human condition. I found it riveting.

Thursday Next 02-27-16 07:02 PM

Paris Texas (1984)

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/paristexas.jpg

Another fascinating film. This used to be higher on my list but I haven’t seen it again in the last ten years and I’ve seen a lot of good films in the meantime. It’s hard to say what this film is ‘about’, because it isn’t a plot-driven film, it’s more about characters and mood. This is really a film about loss, very melancholy and wistful. It’s America presented as a foreign country, an alien landscape.

Honourable Mention: Another Wim Wenders film, Wings of Desire.

Mr Minio 02-27-16 07:23 PM

Nice top. I gave Wild Zero only
, but who knows how I'd rate it nowadays. I remember that after I've watched it I applied some grease to my hair, combed it back and went to the store pretending I am one of these guys from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgrnqeEG68

cricket 02-27-16 07:26 PM

I've been looking forward to In the Mood for Love and Paris, Texas for some time now. Hopefully I'll get to them soon.

I should get to Rules of the Game this week.

Of course I love 12 Angry Men:)

Camo 02-27-16 07:42 PM

Only seen 12 Angry Men from the last five which i love of course. All the others except Wild Zero which i hadn't heard of were already on my watchlist.

honeykid 02-27-16 07:50 PM

Rep for 12 Angry Men and Wild Zero. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as you did, but it's fun and it's always nice to hear/see that someone else has seen it. I saw it at the same time I saw Versus and Junk. Junk is the only one which I really went for.

gbgoodies 02-28-16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1467592)

12 Angry Men (1957)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yrWzc6b0yk...2AngryMen9.png

"I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure."

This was the film that made me realise that films didn’t need to have all the things I thought I liked in films. They just had to be good at whatever they did. 12 Angry Men is a very simple, stripped down film, one setting, all talk, black and white, no fancy camera work, but it’s gripping as anything. Great performances and a thought-provoking script.

12 Angry Men is one of the greatest movies ever made. :up:

Thursday Next 03-03-16 04:59 PM

The African Queen (1951)

http://www.imamuseum.org/blog/wp-con...en-400x303.jpg

If, for some reason, all movies were only allowed to have one plot, this story of two people who bicker their way from mistrust to friendship to love through a series of perilous adventures would probably be the one I’d pick. Love! Humour! Adventure! What more could you want?

Memorable quote: “By the authority granted to me by his Imperial Majestey Kaiser Wilhelm the Second I pronounce you man and wife - proceed with the execution.”

Honourable mention: Romancing the Stone, which, while nowhere near making my top 100, is another fun film in a similar vein. This is the sort of thing I like, ok?

Thursday Next 03-03-16 05:01 PM

The Thin Man (1934)

http://www.bam.org/media/503741/2012...an_613x463.jpg

Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

Smart, fast paced and funny with plenty of style. You’ve got to admire the characters who can trade witty one-liners and solve a murder while permanently on the lash. The chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy is great, and it’s actually quite refreshing to see the depiction of a happily married couple rather than a will they/won't they romantic subplot.

Miss Vicky 03-03-16 05:04 PM

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, but there are a whole lot of films here that I haven't seen.

Thursday Next 03-03-16 05:16 PM

They Shoot Horses Don’t They? (1969)

http://www.nwfilmforum.org/images/up...es_feature.jpg

“Do you think they're laying out two bits a throw just to watch you poke your head up into the sunlight or Alice look like she just stepped out of a beauty parlor? They don't give a damn whether you win or James and Ruby or Mario and Jackie or the Man in the Moon and Little Miss Muffet. They just want to see a little misery out there so they can feel a little better maybe. They're entitled to that.”

Watched this fairly recently, for the 60s countdown and it certainly had an impact on me. A devastatingly bleak movie in which desperate people compete in a gruelling and ultimately futile dance marathon competition during the depression of the 1930s. There’s a sort of grim beauty to it and it’s very well acted all round with an acidly sharp script.

Thursday Next 03-03-16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1470825)
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, but there are a whole lot of films here that I haven't seen.
Well there are a whole lot of good films you have yet to see, then :)