Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62534)

Captain Terror 04-08-24 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2452918)
Edge of the Axe has been rotting in my watchlist for a long time. It sounds like I shouldn't make it a priority.

Copying this from the "last DVD you purchased thread" since this seems like a better place to share this: all that inspired me to get this DVD set was watching The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Luckily, all it cost me was 2 credits on SwapADVD:

https://i.postimg.cc/sDgDL6M4/41-BVm...-1000-QL80.jpg

Appreciate any feedback about any of these if you've seen them. The Hatchet Murders is also known as Deep Red, by the way.
I recently watched The Severed Arm, and am now telling everyone who will listen that it deserves to be mentioned in the list of "first slasher" movies. It's not great, but as far as I'm concerned it is an 80s slasher that happened to be made in 1973. Complete with synth soundtrack. So far I've only convinced Rock to watch it so I'd like to know what others think.

Dead2009 04-08-24 11:19 AM

Re: A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0uS3t6nFgY

Torgo 04-08-24 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Little Ash (Post 2452925)
Assuming it's Argento's Deep Red and not another movie marketed as Deep Red...
I'm not big on the 60s and 70s gallios, but I recall liking Deep Red more than TBwtCP. Just better atmosphere (in part due to the Goblin score and other music).
Ooh, I do love Goblin, especially their soundtrack to Suspiria (which I'm ashamed I slept through a crucial portion of and need to rewatch as a result, but I digress...)

CharlesAoup 04-10-24 06:59 PM

Black Mountain Side, 2nd and 3rd watch (A)

First time I watched it, I didn't care much for the reveal of the thing, but then it occurred to me that it was probably lying, and the movie went back to being a solid, claustrophobic experience that didn't blow the ending. Love it and will probably watch it again.

l'Aldilla, 3rd or 4th watch (A+)

One of these days, I'll get the ending. I swear I will.

Contamination, 1980 (B)

Very silly, very over-the-top and gets into a bit of a slump, stretched out by a lot of slow motion. It's too stupid not to like, and The Alien looked amazing. Too bad they wouldn't light it properly most of the time, and it didn't show up enough.

The Robot vs The Aztec Mummy (C+)

I was expecting so much more Aztec and so much more Robot that was is there. It's somewhat eventful for the genre in that period, but it's just not that worth it in the end. Very disappointed.

Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

Grotesque, gratuitous, excessive and indulgent, this is one of the few zombie movies I enjoyed. The zombies themselves are awesome, and every overly long killing scene is amazing. The scythe and the breastfeeding scenes are real standouts here. I'll definitely watch this one again.

crumbsroom 04-10-24 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2453673)
Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

Grotesque, gratuitous, excessive and indulgent, this is one of the few zombie movies I enjoyed. The zombies themselves are awesome, and every overly long killing scene is amazing. The scythe and the breastfeeding scenes are real standouts here. I'll definitely watch this one again.

The bad reputation this has with a lot of horror fans is baffling to me. It's easily one of the superior zombie films.

Wooley 04-10-24 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2453673)
Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

I was also reasonably pleased with this. It needed the breastfeeding and all that came with it to push itself over the hill but it all worked for me in the end.

SpelingError 04-10-24 11:03 PM

I also enjoyed Burial Ground a good bit. Most of the deaths were telegraphed far ahead of time, but the breastfeeding scene and the build up leading up to it definitely made up for its weaker moments. In retrospect, I might've rated it a bit too high, but I did get the sense that the journey was ultimately worth it in the end by the time I finished it.

Little Ash 04-11-24 09:03 AM

It's been too long since I watched it, but I just must have had a different viewing experience with Burial Ground than the rest of you. I mean, yes, the breastfeeding scene, and pretty much any shot of "the kid," was memorable, but I found much of the rest of the movie was a lot more difficult (in a dull, inept sort of way that I did not find enjoyable. As opposed to dull, inept that I do find enjoyable). I don't know how much the fact I had heard that there was a breastfeeding scene caused it to not overcome my opinion of the rest of the film played into it.

StuSmallz 04-19-24 06:27 AM

https://youtu.be/KxkxwXOFBSo?si=m6RK_zj0P-CD2VqF

CharlesAoup 04-19-24 07:50 PM

Return of the Living Dead (A-)

Not the most comedic comedy I've ever seen, but a tremendous zombie movie. The zombies were fast, smart, talked, ate brains. So much more than just quiet murderers. Shout out to some of the most gratuitous nudity I've seen in a movie. They don't even try to justify it.

Night of the Demons, 1982 (B)

Good parts here and there, but it's overall not that much more than a haunted house movie, just a bit different.

Next of Kin, 1982 (B)

I didn't really get where this was going at first. I liked the early vibes, interspersed with some odd happenings, and then the last act when all hell breaks loose. Very interesting movie. I'll be watching it again for certain.

Don't Look Away, 2023 (D+)

A film about a killer mannequin that kills you when you look away. But not every time. Sometimes he just disappears. That's mostly what he does actually. The editing is the real monster here. The movie goes nowhere at a breakneck pace. Coupled with how dark it is overall and how cramped it is, it just doesn't work. No atmosphere is created, no scare is effective, no character is interesting. It's like a hastily made youtube video introduction got stretched out into a feature film.

Wooley 04-20-24 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Little Ash (Post 2453735)
It's been too long since I watched it, but I just must have had a different viewing experience with Burial Ground than the rest of you. I mean, yes, the breastfeeding scene, and pretty much any shot of "the kid," was memorable, but I found much of the rest of the movie was a lot more difficult (in a dull, inept sort of way that I did not find enjoyable. As opposed to dull, inept that I do find enjoyable). I don't know how much the fact I had heard that there was a breastfeeding scene caused it to not overcome my opinion of the rest of the film played into it.
Yeah, I was totally shocked by it and it was what the movie needed to amp it up. Once it becomes a psycho-sexual zombie movie it's a whole different animal and, to me, reframes everything before it too.

Wooley 04-20-24 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2455855)
Return of the Living Dead (A-)

Not the most comedic comedy I've ever seen, but a tremendous zombie movie. The zombies were fast, smart, talked, ate brains. So much more than just quiet murderers. Shout out to some of the most gratuitous nudity I've seen in a movie. They don't even try to justify it.

Night of the Demons, 1982 (B)

Good parts here and there, but it's overall not that much more than a haunted house movie, just a bit different.
RotLD is probably my favorite zombie movie of all time and it keeps jockeying for my favorite Horror movie of all time. If I only had a week to watch movies and then I'd die, RotLD would get watched and possibly if I only had 24 hours.

I actually did not like Night Of The Demons at all on my first watch and questioned the person who recommended it to me.
I have since revised that position as I find it great fun on the low budget.

Daakmore 04-22-24 01:55 AM

Two possession movies at my friends movie night tonight. Late Night with the Devil commits fully to it's bit about showing the tragic last broadcast of the The Night Owls with Jack Delroy, a late night talk show trying to compete with the juggernaut that is Johnny Carson. After a brief bit setting up the character the position he's in you are basically just watching a 1977 late night talk show happening on Halloween. There are multiple guests prior to the titular "devil" and while they certainly play into the themes on display and have a bit of spook to them, they are just that prior parts of a talk show. You do get footage during commercial breaks that isn't aired which helps get talking points out of the way but yeah it is just an interesting talk show in and of itself. When Lilly, a survivor of a demonic cult, and her therapist/handler June show up things get intense and then straight up bonkers but it all feels like a natural progression. This is just a great little spin on presenting a possession film and it's fun to see it outside the simple context of an exorcism.

We followed that up with My Best Friends Exorcism, which did a solid job with it's 80's setting and the actors were mostly fine but I just had a hard time getting into it. Despite a beginning that seems to say horror/comedy it spends most of it's run time seemingly more of a drama about a group of girls whose friendship starts to fall apart after weekend together goes poorly. This middle section is hard to watch just from the meanness of everything and it feels very odd with the more comedic start to things. The film starts to find it's footing when main character Abby recruits a body builder for Christ, the 80's were weird, to figure out her best friend got possessed and to do the titular exorcism. This actually brings some good humor back though the final showdown with the demon is a little stupid. A pretty mediocre film that wobbles between tones and has a generally underwhelming possession aspect that I almost wish it hadn't been and instead was just friends falling out and thinking it was possession, might have made for a more interesting ending. Still it's solid enough that if you like possession films it is again at least a bit of a different take on the subject.

Torgo 04-28-24 03:15 PM

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage -

The giallo genre is a bit of a blind spot for me, so I'm glad that I clicked with what is as good of a place as any to start. After all, it's not the first one, but it is the master of the genre's first. Dario Argento has been called the Italian Hitchcock and it's easy to see why. Our "ordinary hero in extraordinary circumstances," Sam, is just the guide I needed because he's not only new to detective work, but also to Italy. Also, like John Woo and Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) demonstrate, violence and beauty can coincide without diluting the former's impact. That there's ingenuity in the beauty made me appreciate it even more; for example, a fall from the top of an apartment building involved an actual camera being dropped to its destruction. The movie does not exactly rewrite the rulebook for murder mysteries, but it at least avoids some of its most tired formulas. Even though the police chief holds on to Sam's passport and thus makes him a captive, for instance, they end up having a cordial, near-bromance relationship anyway, which is a welcome change of pace from them having that certain kind of measuring contest instead. Oh, and as a certain visit with a prisoner with an unusual stutter and another one with a reclusive artist and cat...uh...enthusiast indicates, comedy and this kind of violence can also be bedfellows.

Discussing what this movie meant to me beyond its quality and stylish thrills and chills is difficult because of the possibility of spoiling the conclusion. I'll at least say that the finale will not only challenge your expectations about "who done it" or even when the movie concludes, but also about society and how we treat each other. Is this an ideal introduction to giallo? I don't know, but I am inclined to watch them all now, and to paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi, I feel like I've taken a first step into a larger world. I only wish I could have watched it with others or in a theater because I found myself talking to the screen and guessing who I thought did it out loud.

CharlesAoup 04-29-24 09:12 AM

Yellowbrickroad, 3rd watch, (B-)

A group of people investigate the mysterious disappearance of a whole town in the 1920s.

There's something good in this movie, but I don't know that the movie itself is good. I usually don't let lack of technical ability come in the way of a good idea, but here there's a sense of rush and claustrophobia that don't feel intentional, and certainly don't work in concert with the rest of the movie. A shame, because the movie has such a strong concept too.

There's jumps in the vibe, but no real progression. Everything feels disconnected like a song without rhythm, and even though music plays a big role here, I don't think it's intentional at all.

Night of the Seagulls (B)

An amusing enough movie about a reclusive village on an island where, somehow, this 20 people community has to sacrifice one of their hot virgins every night or so to stave off the Templar zombies. I haven't seen the other movies in the series, but they probably wouldn't add too much to this one anyway.

The Rift, 1990 (B)

A submarine is sent to look for another submarine real deep in the ocean. Monsters ensue.

Some great monsters here, hindered only by the fact that they are shown for a grand total of less than 5 minutes in earnest, aside from some wall thingies. Otherwise okay.

Exists (D-)

From the director of The Blair Witch Project, another movie about people yelling in the wood and the audience not seeing much. Includes a super jarring Wilhelm scream that drags you straight out of the experience. You can see bigfoot in this one, where you couldn't see the witch in the other one. Not that it does much to improve the experience.

MovieFan1988 04-30-24 10:31 PM

New Horror movies I've seen starting from the beginning of Feb - April 30 2024

(First time watches)

Terror Train (1980) - Slasher -

Motel Hell (1980) - Horror/Comedy -

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - Slasher -

The People Under the Stairs (1991) - Horror/Comedy -

Trick r' Treat (2009) - Anthology Horror Tales -

Kristy (2014) - Survival Horror/Thriller-

Housebound (2014) - Paranormal Horror Comedy -

Green Room (2015) - Survival Horror -

The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020) - Horror Comedy -

Bloody Hell (2020) - Australian Horror Comedy -

Malignant (2021) - Supernatural Slasher -

The Blackening (2022) - Slasher Horror Comedy -

Renfield (2023) - Horror/Comedy -

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) - Horror/Comedy -

Night Swim (2024) - Supernatural Haunted Pool movie -

Abigail (2024) - Vampire Horror/Comedy -

Wooley 05-03-24 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MovieFan1988 (Post 2458477)
New Horror movies I've seen starting from the beginning of Feb - April 30 2024

(First time watches)

Terror Train (1980) - Slasher -

Motel Hell (1980) - Horror/Comedy -

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - Slasher -

The People Under the Stairs (1991) - Horror/Comedy -

Trick r' Treat (2009) - Anthology Horror Tales -

Kristy (2014) - Survival Horror/Thriller-

Housebound (2014) - Paranormal Horror Comedy -

Green Room (2015) - Survival Horror -

The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020) - Horror Comedy -

Bloody Hell (2020) - Australian Horror Comedy -

Malignant (2021) - Supernatural Slasher -

The Blackening (2022) - Slasher Horror Comedy -

Renfield (2023) - Horror/Comedy -

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) - Horror/Comedy -

Night Swim (2024) - Supernatural Haunted Pool movie -

Abigail (2024) - Vampire Horror/Comedy -
Yikes.
I'd bump Terror Train up by two full popcorns from you and add at least one each for Motel Hell and Slumber Party while Trick 'r Treat is actually a never-miss Halloween movie for me.
But that's what makes life interesting.

Dead2009 05-04-24 11:49 AM

A new Resident Evil movie has been announced

https://insiderfandom.com/new-reside...ems-exclusive/

Daakmore 05-05-24 12:58 AM

Well after a long delay finally getting around to the All the Haunts be Ours box set. Gonna go disc by disc, starting with #2 as I want to save the actual documentary til the end so as to not risk influencing any of my viewings. So that means I started with Eyes of Fire. The story is about a preacher run out of town and the folks that follow him into Shawnee/french territory where they find an seemingly abandoned homestead and decide to settle there, from there things start to get weird. The film does a good job with the set up and things escalate nicely til they reach a pretty explosive crescendo, like literally there are way more explosions in the this film than I would ever have expected. While those explosions tend to stand out and feel out of place the rest of the effects do a good job of setting the mood and lending a creepy atmosphere to things. The cast is pretty game and there are plenty of interesting characters, the standout however is Leah who seems to have her own special powers. She is presented in such a striking manner and the actress has a magnetic presence that it's hard to look away from her, really helps elevate the weird but also give you a hope they can survive. So definitely a great start to the set with beautiful foggy landscapes and weird horrors soaked into the land. There is a longer cut re-titled Crying Blue Sky that I will also try and watch, possibly at the end of this endeavor to see how it compares.

Little Ash 05-05-24 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Daakmore (Post 2459249)
Well after a long delay finally getting around to the All the Haunts be Ours box set. Gonna go disc by disc, starting with #2 as I want to save the actual documentary til the end so as to not risk influencing any of my viewings. So that means I started with Eyes of Fire. The story is about a preacher run out of town and the folks that follow him into Shawnee/french territory where they find an seemingly abandoned homestead and decide to settle there, from there things start to get weird. The film does a good job with the set up and things escalate nicely til they reach a pretty explosive crescendo, like literally there are way more explosions in the this film than I would ever have expected. While those explosions tend to stand out and feel out of place the rest of the effects do a good job of setting the mood and lending a creepy atmosphere to things. The cast is pretty game and there are plenty of interesting characters, the standout however is Leah who seems to have her own special powers. She is presented in such a striking manner and the actress has a magnetic presence that it's hard to look away from her, really helps elevate the weird but also give you a hope they can survive. So definitely a great start to the set with beautiful foggy landscapes and weird horrors soaked into the land. There is a longer cut re-titled Crying Blue Sky that I will also try and watch, possibly at the end of this endeavor to see how it compares.

I bought the box set, but keep wanting to work at it in small chunks with friends, which means it could take up to a decade for me to get through it all. Though I have seen some of the movies on there before, and have watched a few on my own since (Witchhammer is a good political allegory, horror-adjacent movie).

It's been a while since I've seen Eyes of Fire. I recall there was something in the execution I was somewhat down on, but overall, I really liked the premise (and the idea of colliding mythologies). Did you also get some Aguirre the Wrath of God vibes when they were on the raft or was that just the virtue of "people in period costume traveling down river on a raft."

Daakmore 05-05-24 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Little Ash (Post 2459283)
Did you also get some Aguirre the Wrath of God vibes when they were on the raft or was that just the virtue of "people in period costume traveling down river on a raft."

Aguirre is perpetually on my "I really should get around to watching that at some point" list, but I'll keep an eye on that when I get to Aguirre*.

*Assuming I actually do get to it, I really should dammit.

Little Ash 05-05-24 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Daakmore (Post 2459314)
Aguirre is perpetually on my "I really should get around to watching that at some point" list, but I'll keep an eye on that when I get to Aguirre*.

It has monkeys.

Wooley 05-07-24 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daakmore (Post 2459249)
I really dig Eyes Of Fire.
I did not really dig it the first time and in fact didn't finish it. And yet I went back and since I did it has been one of my secret favorites.

Daakmore 05-12-24 12:37 AM

Disc 3 of All the Haunts primary feature is Leptirica (or The She-Butterfly) a loose adaptation of Serbian Vampire story called After Ninety Years. After a series of deaths at the town Mill a group of villages decide it is the vampire Sava Savanović doing the killings. Meanwhile a poor young man is in love with a grumpy land owner's daughter who refuses to give her away. The semi bumbling villages and poor boy make up the majority of the run time but they are pretty entertaining. A bit where they try to talk to an old lady who is very hard of hearing to find the grave is predictable but still amusing. The horror elements are fairly light but the the early attacks have some decent intensity to them and near the conclusion there is a very amusing visual which with a bride to be "riding" her soon to be husband. In enjoyed it though I think some of the core relationships and characters could have used more time to develop, it was only a TV movie with a 63 minute run time. There are a couple other not quite feature length films on this disk (like 45 min and 60 min) that I'll get to next.

Wooley 05-12-24 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Daakmore (Post 2460503)
Disc 3 of All the Haunts primary feature is Leptirica (or The She-Butterfly) a loose adaptation of Serbian Vampire story called After Ninety Years. After a series of deaths at the town Mill a group of villages decide it is the vampire Sava Savanović doing the killings. Meanwhile a poor young man is in love with a grumpy land owner's daughter who refuses to give her away. The semi bumbling villages and poor boy make up the majority of the run time but they are pretty entertaining. A bit where they try to talk to an old lady who is very hard of hearing to find the grave is predictable but still amusing. The horror elements are fairly light but the the early attacks have some decent intensity to them and near the conclusion there is a very amusing visual which with a bride to be "riding" her soon to be husband. In enjoyed it though I think some of the core relationships and characters could have used more time to develop, it was only a TV movie with a 63 minute run time. There are a couple other not quite feature length films on this disk (like 45 min and 60 min) that I'll get to next.
I enjoyed this film. I got on board with the humor and I liked the creepy folk-horror feel of it, so much in the daytime, and of course the final reveal.

Daakmore 05-13-24 01:10 AM

Over the past year at my friends movie nights when we didn't have enough time at the end of the night for a full movie we have been watching episodes of Kolchak, I was not familiar with it prior to this. Have been very much enjoying them. So tonight at movie night we watched the 2 tv movies The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler that started it all. They play out very much like extended episodes of the show that would follow but really everything involving Kolchak is carried by Darren McGavin's performance. Kolchak is an absolute ******* but he is such a darned lovable one that he can get away with it. The films really get to emphasize his often strained relationship with his boss Tony Vincenzo and their shouting matches rarely fail to bring a smile to my face. The mysteries at the heart of each story are interesting enough to drive the plot forward but I honestly think you could replace them even with more mundane things and Kolchak would carry it through. So glad I got introduced to the show and got to see these movies, their ambition frequently out paces their budget but everyone is so game that it doesn't matter and it all falls into place as wonderful entertainment.

CharlesAoup 05-13-24 12:02 PM

City of the Living Dead, 1980, 3rd watch (A+)

I can't get enough of this overly stylish Italian nonsense. This and The Beyond are absolute peak cinema.

ApexPredator 05-13-24 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daakmore (Post 2459314)

Do it!

Wooley 05-14-24 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2460671)
City of the Living Dead, 1980, 3rd watch (A+)

I can't get enough of this overly stylish Italian nonsense. This and The Beyond are absolute peak cinema.
It is wonderful. I have even been able to convince some of my RL friends that this obvious fact is, well, obvious fact.

Wooley 05-14-24 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would post my Letterboxd reaction to a film I have long maligned, often to the chagrin of some of my fellow crammers.

I stand corrected.
Prom Night is not, in fact, The Second Worst Slasher Ever.
After attending The Broad Theater's screening of it last night I must admit the film is far better than I have ever given it credit for. Yes, it is slow at times and yes, it fumbles at times. But it is a competent slasher with some surprisingly good direction, moments of surprising humanity, and a genuinely tragic if jarringly abrupt ending.
It is also amusing how obvious Jamie Lee Curtis' star-quality is in this very low-budget film (recalling my previous position on Helen Hunt in Trancers), more so than is really evident in Halloween, even though she's obviously the best that film has to offer outside of Donald Pleasance. And who knew she's a helluva dancer too?
If I may pick some of the nits that have bothered me in the past which came up again on this viewing - and, to be clear, these are nits I had forgotten but became painfully obvious again on this re-watch - I submit the following:
There are some really good shots in this movie demonstrating legitimate vision on the part of someone. However, these are interspersed between amateurish dragging about of the camera for much of the time in between. Whether the director knew the shots he wanted and got the camera in the right place despite a bad cinematographer or a good cinematographer framed some great shots for a visionless director is unclear, though I favor the former considering how well the film holds together overall. It is documented that most if not all of the crew had literally just graduated from film school.
The jarringly abrupt ending to the film, with the credits rolling before the audience can really even process what has been revealed, actually lowers the film's class like a whole level for me. Why not be clearer here? Did everyone in the theater even understand what happened and why? Why not linger on the moment long enough to resolve the way it should make the audience feel? I'm not sure that a full denouement scene here would have been unwelcome.
Another concerning issue for me, particularly with regard to the ending, was the focus on the grief of the parents of the original victim and the abandonment thereof after the movie's tragic reveal. We spend a little time with the film's biggest star portraying the father of the victim, as well as his wife, the mother of the victim, and how they are effected. Then there is a scene perhaps halfway through the film between him and the later-revealed killer that feels in retrospect like it should have meant something... but because we only see either of the parents for a fleeting moment the entire rest of the film it doesn't. When compounded with that fleeting moment, a quick scene of the parents of the victim apparently leaving for the prom (yes they have other children there but the moment is clearly about their grief), a seeming setup for... something... but then we never see them again... it feels like a half-baked idea that didn't even get baked in post. Considering the reveal, why didn't we see them then?! The audience's stunned reaction to the credits suddenly rolling confirmed that I am not crazy on this point. It took about ten seconds for the room to process that the film had actually ended.
The last issue I had, and it's funny because it has really bothered me a LOT each time I've seen it, despite forgetting about it in between each viewing (but then rediscovering how much it rankled me), was an odd thematic shift seemingly for no reason other than to resolve a set piece (that was apparently forced on the film by the production company). The film goes through some exertion to establish the killer's weapon as being very specific and for very good reason. There are multiple scenes establishing how it is obtained, foreshadowing its use, and why exactly it is what it is. It's even on the ******* poster! And then, exactly halfway through the kills (2/4), the killer just picks up a random axe and uses that for the rest of the movie. Just like that, the main visual thematic component of the film, which was laboriously introduced, is no longer relevant and completely forgotten by the film, though not by the audience who are left to wonder, "Why did they even bother to establish a very good idea only to completely abandon it?" And while on the subject of the poster, the introduction of the mask found thereon and prominent in the film is completely bungled by a shot that should have been there but isn't.
Nits now picked, I must admit that the movie's positives, a cogent script, multiple credible red-herrings, better-than-expected performances of characters you can actually identify, and a strong climax, as well as moments of both pathos and actual tragedy, certainly outweigh its shortcomings.
In short, if that is still possible, Prom Night won me over.

Captain Terror 05-14-24 08:57 PM

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II > Prom Night

Little Ash 05-14-24 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2460987)
I agree with this.

Wooley 05-15-24 12:02 AM

Yeah, I'll give you no argument there.
HML is almost certainly the best Elm Street rip-off that isn't an obvious Elm Street rip-off ever made. Though I'd have to give a little love to The Dead Pit as well.

crumbsroom 05-15-24 12:11 AM

Hello Mary Lou is obviously a better movie in a lot of ways.

But the original is a secret handshake.

crumbsroom 05-15-24 12:13 AM

If we're talking about Nightmare rip offs, you might as well go hardcore

https://i.postimg.cc/C5JCgBw7/nightmare.webp

Captain Terror 05-15-24 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2461014)
HML is almost certainly the best Elm Street rip-off that isn't an obvious Elm Street rip-off ever made. Though I'd have to give a little love to The Dead Pit as well.
To be fair I've only seen Prom Night once and while I didn't actively dislike it, I retained very little of it. Literally the only thing I remember is Slick and his sweet van. So I'm kinda glad to hear that you're only lukewarm on it because I just assumed that everyone here was a fan and I was once again the odd man out.

crumbsroom 05-15-24 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2461019)
To be fair I've only seen Prom Night once and while I didn't actively dislike it, I retained very little of it. Literally the only thing I remember is Slick and his sweet van. So I'm kinda glad to hear that you're only lukewarm on it because I just assumed that everyone here was a fan and I was once again the odd man out.

I know my Prom Night activism might seem like multiple people all screaming at the same time, but I'm pretty sure it's just me.

Maybe Rock too. But he doesn't count because he quit.

Wooley 05-15-24 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2461019)
No, look, I'll say that this is my third viewing of the film as a grownup (I have some recollection of it as a teenager but more the later scenes) and I flat-out thought it was shit on the first viewing, softened on it significantly on the second, and now, after the third, I think I actually like it enough that I would watch it yet again if someone wanted to and I would enjoy a good bit of it. I focused a lot on my nits in the write-up because I have been so negative about the film for so long I thought that I should explain some of the issues that I'd had. All of which are still true but I think they are overcome by the positives, not the least of which are Slick, well-defined characters, real tragedy, and Jamie Lee Curtis dancing.

Wooley 05-15-24 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2461018)

Well, I was really referring just to the ones that are ripping off the spirit and the vibe of aNoES, not ones that are just straight-up ripping it off.

crumbsroom 05-15-24 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2461024)
Well, I was really referring just to the ones that are ripping off the spirit and the vibe of aNoES, not ones that are just straight-up ripping it off.

Ya, but it's also a Bollywood musical so it brings all sorts of....nuance...to the Freddy Krueger mythology.

Little Ash 05-15-24 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2461018)

Coincidentally the only Ramsay brothers' movie I've seen to date (and it was years ago). IIRC, my biggest issue was that the Nancy character was basically regulated to inconsequential, side-lined character at the end.

Also coincidentally, I was planning to finally show my friends another movie from the Ramsays this October.

John W Constantine 05-15-24 12:48 AM

Can't agree enough with this.

pahaK 05-15-24 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2461014)
Huh? How's The Dead Pit an Elm Street rip-off? It's been a few years since I last watched it, but my recollection is more like a Fulci rip-off with a pinch of Hellbound. It's a decent film, though.

Captain Terror 05-15-24 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2461023)
No, look, I'll say that this is my third viewing of the film as a grownup (I have some recollection of it as a teenager but more the later scenes) and I flat-out thought it was shit on the first viewing, softened on it significantly on the second, and now, after the third, I think I actually like it enough that I would watch it yet again if someone wanted to and I would enjoy a good bit of it. I focused a lot on my nits in the write-up because I have been so negative about the film for so long I thought that I should explain some of the issues that I'd had. All of which are still true but I think they are overcome by the positives, not the least of which are Slick, well-defined characters, real tragedy, and Jamie Lee Curtis dancing.
Right, you made that clear, I just didn't word my post properly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised/relieved to hear that you weren't always a fan prior to this viewing. I thought this was one that all of you encouraged me to watch, so I felt like a failure for not connecting with it.

Captain Terror 05-15-24 12:59 AM

The amount of support for Prom Night II pleases me.

Wooley 05-15-24 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2461031)
Huh? How's The Dead Pit an Elm Street rip-off? It's been a few years since I last watched it, but my recollection is more like a Fulci rip-off with a pinch of Hellbound. It's a decent film, though.
I'm fairly sure I re-read my review of it in the last few months and found that I said something like, "If you want the best Elm Street-type film with a Fulci third act ever made, you at least have to consider The Dead Pit." Or words to that effect.

Wooley 05-15-24 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2461032)
Right, you made that clear, I just didn't word my post properly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised/relieved to hear that you weren't always a fan prior to this viewing. I thought this was one that all of you encouraged me to watch, so I felt like a failure for not connecting with it.
I was a straight-up Hater on PN.

Dead2009 05-17-24 11:40 AM

‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ – Brand New Movie Releasing Summer 2025
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...g-summer-2025/

Next ‘Insidious’ Movie Releasing in Theaters Summer 2025
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...s-summer-2025/

‘Jason Universe’ – Horror Inc. Begins a New Era of the ‘Friday the 13th’ Franchise; Here’s the Plan
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...eres-the-plan/

Yoda 05-17-24 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Dead2009 (Post 2461481)
‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ – Brand New Movie Releasing Summer 2025
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...g-summer-2025/
"WHAT WERE THEY WAITING FOR? HUH?! WHAT WERE THEY WAITING FOR?!"

Daakmore 05-20-24 10:24 PM

Watched Abigail last night, found it fitfully entertaining. Despite how much of it's twist was basically out there already in the marketing I'm still going to discuss it with spoilers as the film itself clearly intends it to be a surprise.So from the start one of my gripes is that I think the whole thing would have played better if I didn't know that twist ahead of time but unfortunately the very first trailer I watched spoiled it.

WARNING: spoilers below
So while there are some bloody good vampire scenes and I actually kind of like going with the full set of sharp teeth approach I'm less thrilled with some of the choices they make in regards to vampires. First off is a problem I've had with several recent vampire films and that is very combustible vampires. Like at one point a ray of sunshine hits Abigail's arm and it explodes. Anything that kills these vampires just makes them become a burst blood pinata and it's really annoying to me. Secondly the power level of these vampires feels hard to pin down. Abigail can overpower a bigger human but the moment one of them also becomes a brand new vampire now muscle mass matters, but then they imply it takes time to get used to your powers. Eh I also no I tend to prefer more traditional vampires and weaknesses so some of this is really just personal preference.

I do wish it had stayed with the play the dumb humans against each other longer as that was a way more interesting section of the film than the full on vampire attacks for me. Abigail also makes a weird choice of when to end the subterfuge honestly.

Not vampire related but it was also way to easy to peg who was making it out alive and honestly her character was the most boring of any the criminals.

So I'm pretty split on this, set up is fine and I like the interactions of the characters and Abigail for most of the film. There is some fun to be had when things go sideways but it also feels a bit too silly at times for me. I'd say check it out if you've been thinking of doing so and if you haven't seen any spoilers avoid them like the plague.

Wyldesyde19 05-22-24 11:07 PM

I came across this book I plan on ordering called Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980.
Kind of wish it went up to the 90’s, since there’s an awful lot of Italian horror they’re leaving out, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

CharlesAoup 05-24-24 01:41 PM

The Church, 1989 (B)

A very messy, convoluted and disjointed film, peppered with some of the best imagery in any Italian horror movie I've seen. A whole 10-15 minutes feel cut off unfortunately. Characters just vanish from the last part of the plot with zero explanations.

Wooley 05-25-24 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAoup (Post 2462656)
The Church, 1989 (B)

A very messy, convoluted and disjointed film, peppered with some of the best imagery in any Italian horror movie I've seen. A whole 10-15 minutes feel cut off unfortunately. Characters just vanish from the last part of the plot with zero explanations.
Yeah, a lotta people seem to like The Church the most of Soavi's films, and I think I liked it more than it sounds like you did, but I preferred Stage Fright. And some small part of that at least was that it made sense and characters didn't just disappear. But I am used to that from the Italians so I just took it.

Deschain 05-28-24 09:58 PM

Anyone watch the show Evil? Is it good? Is it worth a watch?