Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Greatest acting performance not to receive an Oscar nomination (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60822)

Gideon58 06-03-20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 2096494)
Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road (always believed she should have been nominated for this role instead of The Reader)
Keira Knightley in Official Secrets (best role I've seen her in)
Kirsten Dunst in Interview With The Vampire and also Crazy/Beautiful (in particular the latter, she is so good in Crazy/Beautiful)
Olivia Hussey in Romeo & Juliet (she's amazing in this role, my favourite Juliet)
Totally agree about Winslet in Revolutionary Road...she won the same year for The Reader, but I think she was much better in RR.

Gideon58 06-03-20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2063266)
Paul Newman was nominated as Best Actor for Cool Hand Luke (Rod Steiger won for In the Heat of the Night) and George Kennedy was nominated for and won Best Supporting Actor for portraying Dragline in the film.

That was Newman's fourth nomination as Best Actor. He wouldn't win until his seventh for The Color of Money and he wound up with nine acting noms, Supporting Actor for The Road to Perdition being his last. He also won an honorary Oscar and the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

He should have won for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and The Verdict

Jimmy Mays 06-04-20 10:40 AM

Re: Greatest acting performance not to receive an Oscar nomination

Straw Dogs missed this movie, watched the trailer, hooked, watch today, thanks

MovieBuffering 06-17-20 07:43 AM

Always thought Leo should have been nominated for Django. Hell I thought Samuel L Jackson and Leo should have been nominated over Christoph Waltz from the same movie and he went on and won. Waltz more then deserved it for Basterds, but felt like his character was nothing special in Django.

Loads and loads of comedy performances. Don't know why it's just automatically given that comedy performances shouldn't be considered for Oscars. It's silly. Comedy is harder then drama to me. See tons of comedians tackle drama don't see tons of actors tackle comedy.

HashtagBrownies 06-17-20 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

(How she got nominated for a Razzie is beyond me)

Gideon58 06-17-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2062916)
T

The Hoffman performance from the '70s I think was overlooked was not Straw Dogs but Straight Time (1978). Hoffman would win his already overdue Oscar the very next year for Kramer vs. Kramer, but I would have nominated him for Straight Time.
I agree that Hoffman was robbed of a nomination for Straight Time

Miss Vicky 06-17-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2100221)
Always thought Leo should have been nominated for Django. Hell I thought Samuel L Jackson and Leo should have been nominated over Christoph Waltz from the same movie and he went on and won. Waltz more then deserved it for Basterds, but felt like his character was nothing special in Django.
I love Django Unchained and thought Waltz was good, but I absolutely agree with every word of this.

HollowMan 06-20-20 01:10 PM

Sofia Coppola in The Godfather Part III. Can't believe her acting career didn't skyrocket after that momentous performance...

Gideon58 06-20-20 04:17 PM

Loads and loads of comedy performances. Don't know why it's just automatically given that comedy performances shouldn't be considered for Oscars. It's silly. Comedy is harder then drama to me. See tons of comedians tackle drama don't see tons of actors tackle comedy.

Leo was nominated for Django Unchained

Miss Vicky 06-20-20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2101230)
Leo was nominated for Django Unchained
No, he wasn't. Not for an Oscar. He was nominated for a Golden Globe for it, though.

Gideon58 06-20-20 04:45 PM

My bad...I can't believe he wasn't nominated for Django but was nominated for The wolf of Wall Street

Miss Vicky 06-20-20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2101243)
My bad...I can't believe he wasn't nominated for Django but was nominated for The wolf of Wall Street
I thought he was fantastic in The Wolf of Wall Street. :shrug:

Gideon58 06-20-20 05:16 PM

Hated that movie with a white hot passion

Miss Vicky 06-20-20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2101252)
Hated that movie with a white hot passion
It's one of my favorites.

Taz 06-20-20 09:29 PM

Completely agree with this. Think of the likes of Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Bill Murray, Billy Connelly and even Adam Sandler in a couple of his roles.

By contrast, those 'serious' thespians who have turned their hand to comedy have often been far less convincing. Robert DeNiro, for instance, has spent the better part of the second half of his career trying to do more comedic films, with middling results at best, perhaps to the detriment of his overall legacy - and he is far from alone. Al Pacino is another that has done himself few favours showing up in some of the more terrible Adam Sandler vehicles, etc.

That's not to say it cannot be done, but seems to be far less common... and yet in a way also symptomatic in that few comedies of note have come out in the past few years. And those with the versatility and dexterity are likewise in short supply, such as Charlize Theron or Hugh Jackman, that can believably turn their hand to drama, action or comedy.

mudwater 06-23-20 08:11 AM

Keira Knightley in The Duchess. Such a shame she didn't win an oscar, her performance was class.

Inmyseat 07-10-20 02:23 PM

I don't know if these folks were nominated,but they should've been..Duke Wayne[The Shootist]..Samuel L.Jackson[Jungle Fever]..James Cagney[White Heat]..Brad Pitt[Troy]..Chris Hemsworth[Into The Heart Of The Sea].

Gideon58 07-18-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2062399)
Al Pacino:

Kiefer Sutherland:
Eye For An Eye (Speaking of scary... yikes. Sutherland plays an utterly sickening serial killer/rapist masterfully.)
Thanks for the reminder on this one...Keifer was superb in this movie.

Gideon58 07-18-20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 2096494)
Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road (always believed she should have been nominated for this role instead of The Reader)
Keira Knightley in Official Secrets (best role I've seen her in)
Kirsten Dunst in Interview With The Vampire and also Crazy/Beautiful (in particular the latter, she is so good in Crazy/Beautiful)
Olivia Hussey in Romeo & Juliet (she's amazing in this role, my favourite Juliet)
I agree with you regarding Winslet and Dunst...at least regarding Interview, I've never seen Crazy/Beautiful

Gideon58 07-18-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Inmyseat (Post 2107410)
I don't know if these folks were nominated,but they should've been..Duke Wayne[The Shootist]..Samuel L.Jackson[Jungle Fever]..James Cagney[White Heat]..Brad Pitt[Troy]..Chris Hemsworth[Into The Heart Of The Sea].

Now that you mention it, I definitely could have gotten behind a nominstion for Jackson for Jungle Fever