Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spider-man 2 Review Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=7767)

Yoda 07-01-04 01:14 PM

Spider-Man 2 Stuns
It's being called the greatest superhero movie ever, and has been hailed as the crown jewel in a summer full of blockbusters. Somehow, Spider-Man 2 manages to live up to the hype ...MORE

Tazz 07-01-04 02:30 PM

Blah i meant 3 my bad --------- :o

Zeiken 07-01-04 04:03 PM

Wow. Simply an amazing movie! Raimi comes dangerousley close to perfecting the superhero genre; anything to come has a lot to live up to.
I have to say that i particularly enjoyed the real human stuff in Spidey 2. I believe this is because the movie could have been a success even without the costume and the powers. Pretty bold thing to say, but Toby does such a wonderful job of with all '3' of his characters, that each and every one could manage without the others.
I also felt that spidey 2 was the perfect balance of comedy, action, and drama, each of which pushed the film along at a good pace. The only real problem i see is the very long wait until spidey 3.
:(

Golgot 07-01-04 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Not out over here. Damn.
ain't that always the way :rolleyes:

Great review by the way Yods (haven't read yours yet Poeman, coz of the mild spoilers - i wanna enjoy my bubblegum unchewed ;))

Spider-Freak 07-01-04 08:38 PM

Just saw it and WOW... so frikkin awsome i was stunned!!! I was expecting good but not THAT good. Just dunno how Raimi will outdo it with Spidey 3... heres hoping he can, roll on May 7th 2007!

couch potato 07-01-04 11:27 PM

IRT to the Green Goblin #2

I even remember as a child watching the animated series...and in the animated series Harry turns into #2. I think the numerous fans that pack the theaters will be disappointed or feel like they have been some how let down if Spidey 3 doesn't follow the basic storyline. But hey, Stan Lee helps write the script so its his choice and Spider-man is his character by legal rights. :rolleyes:

I thought the movie was an easy 10/10. It is a 'perfect formula' movie with not too much and not too little of everything. I loved the inside jokes and many scenes are just plain hilarious and at the same time dramatically serious. I can't wait for the DVD and I definitely can't wait for S3.

jrs 07-01-04 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by couch potato
I can't wait for the DVD ...
The Spiderman 2 DVD when released in 2005, is entitled Spiderman 2.0
It will of course, have a nice colledtion of extras. Though, it is only the tip of the of the Spidey 2 iceberg. There will be a bigger and much better version soon after. Personally, I'd wait.

Bigeric144 07-02-04 05:29 AM

**Warning-Small Spoilers**
Very nice review. I just saw it today and I liked that movie a lot. Some parts were corny. (e.g. the brave trainriders standing up to Doctor Octavious) But all in all the movie was great and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nominated as best picture at the Academy awards.

Holden Pike 07-02-04 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bigeric144
But all in all the movie was great and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nominated as best picture at the Academy awards.
Oh my! That's a good one. Don't hold your breath, kids. http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/co...ackeye/lol.gif

couch potato 07-02-04 12:22 PM

If enough people like Spidey 2 that much, it will influence the Academy votes. I wouldn't be laughin or be holding my breath in my opinion.

velmar 07-02-04 07:37 PM

great super hero movie second best next to x2 but one thing i cant figure out is the guy mary jane was going to marry had an evil look on his face when she walked out on him is he going to turn into a bad guy

Holden Pike 07-02-04 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by velmar
great super hero movie second best next to x2 but one thing i cant figure out is the guy mary jane was going to marry had an evil look on his face when she walked out on him is he going to turn into a bad guy

Mainly he has an "evil" look on his face because he was just left at the alter. Duh.

But in the comic books, yes, J. Jonah Jameson's son John does become a super villian: The Man-Wolf. On a secret mission to the moon, he found a ruby there that he kept, which turned out to be an alien artifact that turns him into a werewolf-like creature.

I don't know if they'll follow this same history in the movies. I somehow doubt it. Frankly, I think it would be easy to have him acquire the Venom alien lifeform on a NASA mission (and negating the need for The Secret Wars storyline to introduce it), instead of the rather dated Man-Wolf.

velmar 07-02-04 08:45 PM

1st g.goblin 2end doc oct 3erd more tan likely h.goblin whens venom coming better yet venom @ carnage in the same movie that be great dont u think so

Holden Pike 07-02-04 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by velmar
1st g.goblin 2end doc oct 3erd more tan likely h.goblin whens venom coming better yet venom @ carnage in the same movie that be great dont u think so
no i dont think but y du u? how can venom be AT carnage anyway and why isnt it 1est if its 2end and 3erd plus wood 4eth go nxt?

velmar 07-02-04 08:55 PM

sorry read xmen comics not spider man

Golgot 07-03-04 01:09 PM

Saw it last night, and it sure is one great chunk of comic escapism. I loved there way Raimi slipped in some horror-like bits (the hospital), and genuinly funny and playful sections (especially during the main Peter Parker bit). There was corniness and all, but i thought the leads sustained the emotional content well enough. Add to that the impressive special-effects, with the improved swinging-through-the-city animation and the ground-shaking Doc Ock, and it was one impressive package.

WARNING: "Spider-Man2" spoilers below
Although i liked the way Doc Ock was a "grey-scale" bad guy, and not just pure-unexplained-evil, the bit about the arms having "artificial intelligence" that allowed them take over his higher brain functions was a bit daft (and the way the inhibitory device was a illuminated and exposed fragile little thing was just hilariously silly). The arms whispering to him was still fun tho, and i thought the whole technology-out-of-control thing tallied well with the "intelligence is a gift that brings with it a responsibility" ethic (which in turn was a nice parallel responsability thing to go with the classic Ben Parker "power" ethic)

The final pay-off where MJ sees Peter is Spider-Man was actually pretty effective - but that ending, man, who let them finish it with "you go tiger" ??? (at least, that's what it sounded like to me - it should've been "you go spider" at the very least ;)).

Originally Posted by jrs
The Spiderman 2 DVD when released in 2005, is entitled Spiderman 2.0
It will of course, have a nice colledtion of extras. Though, it is only the tip of the of the Spidey 2 iceberg. There will be a bigger and much better version soon after. Personally, I'd wait.
Gah, at least they have the decency to admit they're not going to release the best collection of material first - 2.0 is one way of putting it, but i reckon all first release DVDs of blockbusters should be called Unspecial Editions from now on :rolleyes:

Tazz 07-03-04 01:34 PM

Yea i hate it when i get the first new dvd release and then a new one comes out with more features -_-.... Or Unrated/Director's Cut/

Yoda 07-03-04 01:34 PM

Venom and Carnage would make for some very exciting action sequences, but Raimi's clearly heading in another direction.

The real question is what they'll be doing after the third film, which will presumably complete the trilogy Raimi has said he's been envisioning, and therefore require that they bring a new director (and probably new actors) in to continue the franchise.

I'll toss a haphazard prediction out and say that the third'll also be quite good and wildly successful, but that once they've got new people working on the series, it'll start to resemble the last few Batman films we've gotten. Not as bad, but still a dropoff in quality from Raimi's Spidey flicks.

Yoda 07-03-04 01:35 PM

Oh, by the way: here's a peek at a new MoFo feature of sorts...I'm posting it here because it's Spider-Man related. Have a listen.

MoFo Radio - 7/2/04

Tazz 07-03-04 01:45 PM

Yes Venom and Carnage would make an excellent exciting action sequences. But who will play Venom? and Carnage? I dont think The Rock Would make a good Eddie Brock =/

I dont think The Spider-Man Series will turn out to be like the batman films(If Only the Director Doesnt Change).But i heard there was going be like 8 spider-mans or something i really dont know. Probably something false i heard but im not sure =/

But i hope Rami doesnt stop directing the Spider-Man Films if he does stop. THe Spidey Series will probably turn out like the Batman Films :(
(I Hope Batman 5 Will be Better Chris Nolan Did a good Job on Memento)