Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Film Noir HoF - Part 2 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46081)

Citizen Rules 07-02-16 08:44 PM

Re: Film Noir HoF - Part 2

You'll be missed Cricket, you're always one of the most active members and have interesting things to say. If you change your mind, you are welcomed to join.:)

seanc 07-02-16 08:44 PM

Fritz Lang with Edward G Robinson, I guess that might be ok. ;)

seanc 07-02-16 08:45 PM

A few of these I can't get through Netflix so I may be hounding you guys for links in a week or so.

Citizen Rules 07-02-16 08:48 PM

Robinson is one of my favorite actors, hands down. Dan Duryea is a big reason why I nominated the movie. He's a really interesting, oily-sniveling bad guy, he's a great character actor.

seanc 07-02-16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1540835)
Robinson is one of my favorite actors, hands down. Dan Duryea is a big reason why I nominated the movie. He's a really interesting, oily-sniveling bad guy, he's a great character actor.
I have only seen Robinson in three or four things but loved him in them all. His role in Double Indemnity is one of my favorite ever.

cricket 07-02-16 08:51 PM

Kansas City Confidential and Scarlet Street are both on Hulu.

seanc 07-02-16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1540837)
Kansas City Confidential and Scarlet Street are both on Hulu.
Sweet, I am probably going to watch Scarlet Street tonight.

Citizen Rules 07-02-16 08:53 PM

He was real good in Double Indemnity, I love that film. I think you'll like him in Scarlett Street, he does a different character than he usually plays, and he plays it well.

Friendly Mushroom! 07-02-16 09:17 PM

Scarlet street is also on youtube.

Citizen Rules 07-02-16 11:21 PM

Thanks FM for finding those noms on youtube. If anybody has difficulty finding any of the films, PM me.

gbgoodies 07-03-16 04:21 AM

When is the deadline for nominations? I won't know until either late Tuesday or Wednesday if I will be able to join this HoF.

Citizen Rules 07-03-16 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1540958)
When is the deadline for nominations? I won't know until either late Tuesday or Wednesday if I will be able to join this HoF.
Happy to have you GBG! Tuesday or Wednesday is fine. I didn't make a firm deadline yet, usually in HoFs there's a week to get movie nominations in...so if someone wants to join in say the next week, that's cool...

SilentVamp 07-03-16 02:32 PM

I have a couple of these movies but on videotape - WHY did my VCR have to break?!?! :bawling: The library has the DVD's of all of them. I think half of the movies I will be able to pick up and the other half I have to request. I have seen the majority of them, but the majority of that lot I have not seen in a LONG time. So it will be good to refresh my memory.

Citizen Rules 07-03-16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SilentVamp (Post 1541103)
I have a couple of these movies but on videotape - WHY did my VCR have to break?!?! :bawling: The library has the DVD's of all of them. I think half of the movies I will be able to pick up and the other half I have to request. I have seen the majority of them, but the majority of that lot I have not seen in a LONG time. So it will be good to refresh my memory.
Yeah VCRs are still a handy thing to have. I had one for years then it broke so I had to buy a used one off ebay as I couldn't find one in a local store. I don't use it much but there's times when it does come in handy.

Captain Spaulding 07-03-16 03:34 PM

I've never really thought of A Face in the Crowd as noir, but I'm happy to see it nominated nonetheless. Maybe this HOF will give it enough of a boost to make the 50's countdown.

cricket 07-03-16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1541132)
I've never really thought of A Face in the Crowd as noir, but I'm happy to see it nominated nonetheless. Maybe this HOF will give it enough of a boost to make the 50's countdown.
I didn't think of it that way either, and I actually looked it up. Wiki and IMDb don't list it as noir, but there's other sites that do associate it as such.

Citizen Rules 07-03-16 09:54 PM

We got another film noir in! Colejwalker has joined our happy group and nominated The Big Sleep (1946). There's still time to join!

seanc 07-03-16 10:01 PM

I have been wanting to rewatch Big Sleep. :up:

Citizen Rules 07-03-16 10:05 PM

Me too, I have it on one of the Bogart collection DVDs, but I've only seen it once and like 10 years ago. I thought it was an intelligent film. It has lots! of twist and turns....so I think a second watch might help me figure it out more. And of course Bogie and Bacall together is legendary.

seanc 07-03-16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1541311)
Me too, I have it on one of the Bogart collection DVDs, but I've only seen it once and like 10 years ago. I thought it was an intelligent film. It has lots! of twist and turns....so I think a second watch might help me figure it out more. And of course Bogie and Bacall together is legendary.
Yeah, I just saw it a couple years ago and liked it quite a bit. It is plot heavy though, with a capital P. I couldn't tell you a thing about it. Think I will order the Blu-ray.