Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59008)

John-Connor 03-17-19 09:41 AM

Pitch Black is on my fav sci-fi list and Stir of Echoes on my thriller list..
(I may have to correct that?)

Critters is in my top 50..
https://66.media.tumblr.com/229f50d1...3vmpo1_400.gif

Miss Vicky 03-17-19 10:19 AM

Re: MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

Earthlings is the only film on my list that I find genuinely horrifying. I’m actually a former vegetarian, but a lot of what was in that film, including the most sickening footage, wasn’t even from the meat industry. I probably rate it higher than some of the others, but given its subject and the fact that it’s a documentary I knew it wouldn’t get any other votes.

CosmicRunaway 03-17-19 10:25 AM

I've seen 10 of the 1-pointers, and while I'm familiar with most of the others, there are a couple that I've never heard of (a Jekyll and Hyde musical with Hasselhoff? Morbidly curious about that one now).

I did consider Pitch Black for my list, but I'm a little tired of it now. I watched it multiple times one day when I was home sick on the couch, since the Movie Network kept cycling through the same couple of films. :suspicious:

I remember being a fairly young kid and seeing a Critters marathon on tv late one evening. Mistaking it for Gremlins, I put it on. It may or may not have terrified me slightly. I watched the first two anyway haha.

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1996942)
I had so high hopes for The Void but it ended up being a disappointment. Nice practical effects though.
I didn't think it was great, but I was really surprised by the effects, especially later when I learned that the creatures were crowd funded on Indiegogo. I thought that was really impressive, and sort of proof that there are plenty of us out there who still appreciate good practical effects in film.

I wanted to give it a shout-out on the 1-pointers list, since I was pretty certain that no one else was going to vote for it haha. I wish more producers would take a chance on smaller, creative projects like this, so I like to support them whenever I can.

rauldc14 03-17-19 10:46 AM

Great job Nostromo!

And yeah I was pretty sure the only one I would have seen would be my one pointer.

When a Stranger Calls (2006) is so goofy that I actually found it entertaining enough to make my list of 25. Admittedly the top 24 was easy and then after that it was a tough call for that last spot.

Hey Fredrick 03-17-19 10:59 AM

Wouldn't surprise me to see When a Stranger Calls on the list again.

Iroquois 03-17-19 11:48 AM

I briefly contemplated listing either Resident Evil: Retribution or Alien: Covenant purely for the sake of getting it into the one-pointers but I decided I'd take this list a little more seriously. We'll see if my actual #25 shows up on the final list, though.

honeykid 03-17-19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1996942)
Of the ones I haven't seen at least The House of the Devil and Stir of Echoes seem interesting enough to land on my watchlist.
I'd recommend both. I think The House Of The Devil is a better film if you like the kind of film and period it's aping.

I didn't think about the 1 pointer thing. That just happened to be what I had last on the list.

Iroquois 03-17-19 11:59 AM

They could all be sincere answers but it's always tempting to try gaming the system so an absolute underdog of a movie can end up getting even this tiny bit of recognition - of course, the gamble lies in whether or not you really are the only person to consider listing the movie in question (which, let's be honest, I probably could've done with my suggestions).

cat_sidhe 03-17-19 12:18 PM

Look who's WATCHING!

https://twitter.com/JasonBraveEagle/...90528574595072

cat_sidhe 03-17-19 12:22 PM

Nothing of mine showed up so far. :eek:

Iroquois 03-17-19 12:27 PM

If that Twitter account was any more embarrassing, it'd belong to a sitting president.

Citizen Rules 03-17-19 12:54 PM

Great job Nostro! Looking good.

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1996923)
.... Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural was my own one pointer...Obviously wanted to have a one pointer people would recognize as "my kind of a film"...
I had the same idea:p as you did with choosing a one pointer that would represent "my type of film" which for me was Straight-Jacket. Both GBgoodies and Miss Vicky's 1 pointer are "their type of films" too. I just thought that was interesting.

CosmicRunaway 03-17-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1996981)
Both GBgoodies and Miss Vicky's 1 pointer are "their type of films" too. I just thought that was interesting.
When I was scrolling down the list and saw "Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix" on the next image, my first thought was that this has to be MV's film.

HashtagBrownies 03-17-19 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1996972)
Wait, that's him? He looks like my history teacher!

Yam12 03-17-19 04:07 PM

Only one I've seen so far is Child's Play 2. Didn't vote for it cuz its terrible.

cat_sidhe 03-17-19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 1996990)
Wait, that's him? He looks like my history teacher!
He could probably teach you a thing or two, too. :lol: *runs*

Nathaniel 03-17-19 05:06 PM

Considered Stir of Echoes from that group of 1 pointers but ended up cutting it early when I was narrowing down my potential list.

Pretty sure that Pitch Black is shown on constant repeat here.

TheUsualSuspect 03-17-19 05:32 PM

Seems a lot of people considered Stir of Echoes.

cat_sidhe 03-17-19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1997042)
Not I.

But it was decent enough...

Yam12 03-17-19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1997042)

I didn't

I haven't even heard of it.