Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64523)

CosmicRunaway 08-17-21 02:54 PM

@jiraffejustin
Here are my picks for you! You have a more "worldly" watch history than I do, and I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the films you've rated highly, so I apologize if these end up being way off base.

About Elly (2009)
Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Notes: More of a drama than a typical thriller. I actually had this in mind before I saw it was on your watchlist.

Bedevilled (2010)
Directed by: Jang Cheol-soo
Notes: Picked this just in case you're in the mood for something more violent and slightly disturbing.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Directed by: Ari Folman
Notes: A visually striking, and quite powerful Israeli animated war documentary.

jiraffejustin 08-17-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2231000)
@jiraffejustin
Here are my picks for you! You have a more "worldly" watch history than I do, and I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the films you've rated highly, so I apologize if these end up being way off base.

About Elly (2009)
Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Notes: More of a drama than a typical thriller. I actually had this in mind before I saw it was on your watchlist.

Bedevilled (2010)
Directed by: Jang Cheol-soo
Notes: Picked this just in case you're in the mood for something more violent and slightly disturbing.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Directed by: Ari Folman
Notes: A visually striking, and quite powerful Israeli animated war documentary.
None of these look off base for me. The hard part will be deciding which one to go with. All three are films I plan on getting to at some point. About Elly seems to be pretty popular with some folks around here, so I'll probably go with that one. Then again, it looks like Waltz with Bashir is on Criterion, and I am in the middle of a free trial. But, I don't think I've seen a good, disturbing horror film in a while.

edarsenal 08-17-21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2230987)
@edarsenal

My suggestions for you are:

Memories of Murder (2003)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
Very difficult call, but in the end, I do believe I'm in the mood to delve further into a
Bong Joon Ho with Memories of Murder and THANK YOU!!

For you, since I wasn't able to see a list of unwatched films, I went with some that may work for you with a similar feel for your top rated films:

Rome, Open City (1945) I discovered this early this year and fell in love with it and I'm thinking it MAY be up your alley.
The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) this is a Renoir film that is a delightful mix of a thriller with a comedic undertone to it.
Lucky Number Slevin (2008) A truly FUN stylistic crime film with a great cast. When I saw you rated Nobody very highly, this popped into my head. Nowhere near the action, but some great dialogue and twists and turns.

Should you need me to search a little more, I'm happy to do it. Also, if one of these works I do have great links to them should you need them. ENJOY

Allaby 08-17-21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2231136)
Very difficult call, but in the end, I do believe I'm in the mood to delve further into a
Bong Joon Ho with Memories of Murder and THANK YOU!!

For you, since I wasn't able to see a list of unwatched films, I went with some that may work for you with a similar feel for your top rated films:

Rome, Open City (1945) I discovered this early this year and fell in love with it and I'm thinking it MAY be up your alley.
The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) this is a Renoir film that is a delightful mix of a thriller with a comedic undertone to it.
Lucky Number Slevin (2008) A truly FUN stylistic crime film with a great cast. When I saw you rated Nobody very highly, this popped into my head. Nowhere near the action, but some great dialogue and twists and turns.

Should you need me to search a little more, I'm happy to do it. Also, if one of these works I do have great links to them should you need them. ENJOY
I've seen Rome Open City and it was excellent. I think I have seen Lucky Number Slevin years ago when it first came out. I will go with The Crime of Monsieur Lange.

edarsenal 08-17-21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2231139)
I've seen Rome Open City and it was excellent. I think I have seen Lucky Number Slevin years ago when it first came out. I will go with The Crime of Monsieur Lange.
Cool, again, if you'd like me to pull two more since you've seen those, I very happy to.

Allaby 08-17-21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2231144)
Cool, again, if you'd like me to pull two more since you've seen those, I very happy to.
I think I'm going to stick with Le crime de Monsieur Lange. Thanks for the suggestion.

edarsenal 08-17-21 10:01 PM

Re: MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

hope you like it!

Citizen Rules 08-17-21 10:03 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

Here's my choices for you.

Branded to Kill (1967)
Philomena (2013)
Elvis and Anabelle (2007)

BooBooKittyFock 08-18-21 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231153)

Hey @Citizen Rules
Just got home, let me look at your profile and I’ll pick a film for myself and the three films for you!

BooBooKittyFock 08-18-21 12:32 AM

@Citizen Rules

I’m going to attempt to suggest three films for you, if any of these films you have seen, if you have a profile I could look at or your taste in films would be awesome, but it seems you’ve seen a lot of good films. This is my attempt:

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Director: Richard Brooks

2. The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Director: Peter Greenaway

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
Director: James Foley

BooBooKittyFock 08-18-21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231153)
I choose Branded to Kill

Citizen Rules 08-18-21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231174)
@Citizen Rules

I’m going to attempt to suggest three films for you, if any of these films you have seen, if you have a profile I could look at or your taste in films would be awesome, but it seems you’ve seen a lot of good films. This is my attempt:

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
Cool, looks like some interesting choices there. I have seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ages ago, I verily remember it.

Citizen Rules 08-18-21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231174)
@Citizen Rules

1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

3. Glengarry Glen Ross
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover...my wife would be mad at me that I picked an X rate violent film:eek:

Glengarry Glen Ross
....sounds like a good movie, but right now I'm not happy with real estate agents! :rolleyes:

So I'll go with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I thought I might have seen it 20 years ago, but now I'm not totally sure.

BooBooKittyFock 08-18-21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231246)
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover...my wife would be mad at me that I picked an X rate violent film:eek:

Glengarry Glen Ross
....sounds like a good movie, but right now I'm not happy with real estate agents! :rolleyes:

So I'll go with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I thought I might have seen it 20 years ago, but now I'm not totally sure.
Ok, that works, I was looking for a replacement for that film, if you saw it already lmk, found a few films to be replacements!*

Awesome choice btw!

And is The cook….. really rated x? Egad, doesn’t seem that bad 😅

CosmicRunaway 08-18-21 05:12 PM

Just finished watching Throne of Blood, but I probably won't get the chance to write anything about it until tomorrow. I did really like it though. :up:

edarsenal 08-18-21 06:42 PM

I haven't seen Throne of Blood for some twenty-five or more years and I can scarcely remember anything beyond the very long traverse through the fog at the very beginning. I should really unmark it on my List to encourage a revisit.

rauldc14 08-18-21 09:27 PM

Cook is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Good job escaping it, CR!

Allaby 08-18-21 10:07 PM

So I watched Le crime de Monsieur Lange (1936), as suggested by @edarsenal. Directed by Jean Renoir, the film is a mix of comedy and crime drama showing in flashbacks how and why a murder happened. This didn't really do a lot for me to be honest. I liked the cinematography best of all. The story was alright, but I didn't find it overly interesting. The comedic elements were very funny to me and the crime/thriller elements were that thrilling or exciting. The acting was decent, but I wasn't really impressed with anyone. The film is only an hour and 20 minutes, but it felt longer. I'm not sure why but I can't really connect with Renoir's films. I've seen 3 now and have been underwhelmed by them. Grand Illusion is the best of the 3 I have seen (7/10), but I didn't love it. Rules of the Game was a 6/10 for me. Le crime de Monsieur Lange would be somewhere between the two for me. I still intend to eventually see more of Renoir's films to see if I will come across one I really like. This one is a

Citizen Rules 08-18-21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2231412)
Cook is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Good job escaping it, CR!
Ha, I've seen some very mixed reviews for it. Something tells me if one liked Whithnail & I they'd like The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover. Of course I couldn't stand Whithnail & I.

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2231417)
Jean Renoir...I've seen 3 now and have been underwhelmed by them. Grand Illusion is the best of the 3 I have seen (7/10), but I didn't love it. Rules of the Game was a 6/10 for me. Le crime de Monsieur Lange would be somewhere between the two for me.
La Grande Illusion had it's moment but didn't do much for me and The Rules of the Game had me confused as to who was saying what, with so much dialogue from so many different characters. If I was a native French speaker I might have liked it better as I would've understood the subcontext and humor.

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80365
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Richard Brooks, 1958)

Liz Taylor, wow! She was stunning in this!...Her acting way dynamically stunning as Maggie 'the cat', a married woman who's husband had no romantic or sexual interest in. She's quite flustered!

Liz Taylor has been referred to as the most beautiful actress of all time...and I believe it! But a whole lot of that beauty is coming from inside. I know that because while I found her captivating, when I looked for a lead image for this write up I couldn't find any screenshot that captured that luminous quality she projected in the film, so I know her beauty isn't just skin deep.

Burl Ives blew me away with his portrayal of Big Daddy a tyrant of a man who possesses so much and has so little. He so deserved a best supporting actor Oscar. Actually the entire cast was well chosen for their parts, I liked them all. Paul Newman really hit the mark as a raging alcoholic with a secret that was tearing him apart. It's too bad that the secret had to be changed for the movie censors of the 1950s.

I loved the sharp flowing dialogue that only Tennessee Williams could have penned. Indeed this was based on the hugely successful stage play.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231536)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80365
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Richard Brooks, 1958)

Liz Taylor, wow! She was stunning in this!...Her acting way dynamically stunning as Maggie 'the cat', a married woman who's husband had no romantic or sexual interest in. She's quite flustered!

Liz Taylor has been referred to as the most beautiful actress of all time...and I believe it! But a whole lot of that beauty is coming from inside. I know that because while I found her captivating, when I looked for a lead image for this write up I couldn't find any screenshot that captured that luminous quality she projected in the film, so I know her beauty isn't just skin deep.

Burl Ives blew me away with his portrayal of Big Daddy a tyrant of a man who possesses so much and has so little. He so deserved a best supporting actor Oscar. Actually the entire cast was well chosen for their parts, I liked them all. Paul Newman really hit the mark as a raging alcoholic with a secret that was tearing him apart. It's too bad that the secret had to be changed for the movie censors of the 1950s.

I loved the sharp flowing dialogue that only Tennessee Williams could have penned. Indeed this was based on the hugely successful stage play.

So glad you liked it, one of my favorite films.

I recd you all films that were either meant for the stage or that were originally on stage and made into a film or looked like it was made in a theater.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 01:42 PM

@Citizen Rules

You said you might have seen the film before, having watched it, did you see it before?

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231550)
[Cat On A Hot Tin Roof]...I recommend you all films that were either meant for the stage or that were originally on stage and made into a film or looked like it was made in a theater.
Cool theme choice, I didn't realize that they were all based originally on plays. A lot of people will complain that a movie felt 'play like' or 'stagey'...Personally I love films that feel play like, as it's a totally different type of acting and story presentation.

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231556)
@Citizen Rules

You said you might have seen the film before, having watched it, did you see it before?
If I did, my brain was washed at some point:eek: I didn't remember anything about the story or any scenes, so I never knew what was going to happen. I didn't even know Burl Ives was in it. I do have a memory of seeing Liz's in her slip:p caterwauling at Paul Newman in the bedroom. I think I might have seen that scene in trailers as I use to watch every single extra DVD feature.

If I had seen it like 15+ years ago, it then begs the question: can I even consider a film that I've seen only once decades ago as having been watched?

CosmicRunaway 08-19-21 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80381

Throne of Blood / 蜘蛛巣城 (1957)
Directed By: Akira Kurosawa
Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Akira Kubo, Isuzu Yamada

Throne of Blood is a hauntingly beautiful adaptation of Macbeth, which takes a number of artistic liberties with the source material in order to transport its themes and characters to feudal Japan. Having no love for Shakespeare's flowery and verbose style of writing, I greatly appreciated that no attempt was made to mimic or translate his dialogue into Japanese.

The sets are absolutely fantastic. Kurosawa was nothing if not dedicated to his craft, and his decision to build the castle exterior on the slope of Mt. Fuji to utilize its thick natural fog made for some impressive, and highly atmospheric shots. The use of Fuji's forests was equally stunning, with that mist once again setting an eerie yet captivating stage for the actors.

The film doesn't just take inspiration from Macbeth, but from traditional Noh theatre as well. The two blend together seamlessly, creating a uniquely Japanese adaptation that still feels true to the spirit of the original work. The performances are fantastic from everyone involved, and it's impossible not to commend Toshiro Mifune for his willingness to have real arrows fired at him during the film's climax.

CosmicRunaway 08-19-21 03:34 PM

My initial reaction was to rate Throne of Blood at
, but while reflecting on it to write that review, I talked myself into another half star.

Wish we could've watched films like that instead of actually reading Shakespeare back in school. :lol:

edarsenal 08-19-21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2231417)
So I watched Le crime de Monsieur Lange (1936), as suggested by @edarsenal. Directed by Jean Renoir, the film is a mix of comedy and crime drama showing in flashbacks how and why a murder happened. This didn't really do a lot for me to be honest. I liked the cinematography best of all. The story was alright, but I didn't find it overly interesting. The comedic elements were very funny to me and the crime/thriller elements were that thrilling or exciting. The acting was decent, but I wasn't really impressed with anyone. The film is only an hour and 20 minutes, but it felt longer. I'm not sure why but I can't really connect with Renoir's films. I've seen 3 now and have been underwhelmed by them. Grand Illusion is the best of the 3 I have seen (7/10), but I didn't love it. Rules of the Game was a 6/10 for me. Le crime de Monsieur Lange would be somewhere between the two for me. I still intend to eventually see more of Renoir's films to see if I will come across one I really like. This one is a
Sorry, it didn't do a lot for you, it happens. I'll definitely try for better next time around. :)

edarsenal 08-19-21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231559)
Cool theme choice, I didn't realize that they were all based originally on plays. A lot of people will complain that a movie felt 'play like' or 'stagey'...Personally I love films that feel play like, as it's a totally different type of acting and story presentation.

If I did, my brain was washed at some point:eek: I didn't remember anything about the story or any scenes, so I never knew what was going to happen. I didn't even know Burl Ives was in it. I do have a memory of seeing Liz's in her slip:p caterwauling at Paul Newman in the bedroom. I think I might have seen that scene in trailers as I use to watch every single extra DVD feature.

If I had seen it like 15+ years ago, it then begs the question: can I even consider a film that I've seen only once decades ago as having been watched?
I know what you mean, I've run across a couple that I've seen only once a very long time ago that almost feel like I should take them off the List to revisit since I truly cannot remember anything from them. Currently, there are two of them in this thread, this and Throne of Blood. Even more so after reading Cosmic's review.

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2231586)
My initial reaction was to rate Throne of Blood at
, but while reflecting on it to write that review, I talked myself into another half star...
I did the same thing with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I was thinking rating it a 4 but I talked it up so well that I convinced myself to throw in another .5:p

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2231591)
I know what you mean, I've run across a couple that I've seen only once a very long time ago that almost feel like I should take them off the List to revisit since I truly cannot remember anything from them. Currently, there are two of them in this thread, this and Throne of Blood. Even more so after reading Cosmic's review.
Just the other day I watched an old John Wayne film that I'd seen a number of times, so I though, Cahill U.S. Marshal. As the wife and I were watching it we realized that we'd never had seen it before. I guess I had just seen the trailer on other John Wayne DVDs.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 09:31 PM

I had heard of Seijun Suzuki before I was rec’d the film but had never seen any of his movies.

There were a number of sequences I enjoyed in this movie, the butterfly sequence being my favorite, which later got the ball rolling for the rest of the plot.

I know that this was a B-Movie and it was basically created in a month on a very low budget. Having said that, Kudos to Seijun for creating such a revolutionary movie for its time, taking chances and stepping outside the box with this.

I loved the cinematography and camera work, the dialogue was very cheesy but it made for a fun film. The only thing that I didn’t like, was the editing and the flow of the cut scenes at the beginning of the film. Sometimes the transitions didn’t make sense to me but I was later able to connect the pieces together. I also think the rice fetish was a little overused.

I’m looking forward to rewatching this film again, hopefully I will connect with it more on a second watch.

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231645)
I had heard of Seijun Suzuki before I was rec’d the film but had never seen any of his movies.

I know that this was a B-Movie and it was basically created in a month on a very low budget. Having said that, Kudos to Seijun for creating such a revolutionary movie for its time, taking chances and stepping outside the box with this.

B movies are always hard for me to rate, in fact I got one to watch tonight. But I'm glad you appreciated Branded to Kill...I thought it would be a 'fun watch' for you.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231648)
B movies are always hard for me to rate, in fact I got one to watch tonight. But I'm glad you appreciated Branded to Kill...I thought it would be a 'fun watch' for you.
Sadly I don’t have much experience with “B” movies or French New Wave/Noir, definitely a film that took me out of my usual bubble of what I watch

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231649)
Sadly I don’t have much experience with “B” movies or French New Wave/Noir, definitely a film that took me out of my usual bubble of what I watch
I kinda like the quirkiness of B films, at least some of them. I love classic Noir 1941-1959 but I haven't seen much French New Wave and I really should see more.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231651)
I kinda like the quirkiness of B films, at least some of them. I love classic Noir 1941-1959 but I haven't seen much French New Wave and I really should see more.

Out of curiosity, what did you rate the film?

Citizen Rules 08-19-21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231653)
Out of curiosity, what did you rate the film?
Oh, ha:p...I've never seen it. I only heard about it on The Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread the other day, Paranoid Android rated it a 4 here

So I thought it sounded cool and I wanted to give you something different than the other two choices. I did see and really like both
Philomena (2013)

I might have to try those again for someone else.

BooBooKittyFock 08-19-21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2231655)
Oh, ha:p...I've never seen it. I only heard about it on The Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread the other day, Paranoid Android rated it a 4 here

So I thought it sounded cool and I wanted to give you something different than the other two choices. I did see and really like both
Philomena (2013)

I might have to try those again for someone else.
We can Rec films we haven’t seen? Noted

I’ll have to check out those other two films at some point

jiraffejustin 08-20-21 02:06 PM

I'll be trying to get Waltz with Bashir watched tonight.

edarsenal 08-20-21 04:06 PM

I'll be checking out Memories of Murder this weekend

BooBooKittyFock 08-20-21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2231860)
I'll be checking out Memories of Murder this weekend
Great film! I just need “Barking Dogs Never Bite” to finish’s Bong’s full feature films. Hasn’t been a disappointing film in the bunch yet. Okja was a little strange though, but it was a fun film. Hope you enjoy Memoirs!!!

edarsenal 08-20-21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2231927)
Great film! I just need “Barking Dogs Never Bite” to finish’s Bong’s full feature films. Hasn’t been a disappointing film in the bunch yet. Okja was a little strange though, but it was a fun film. Hope you enjoy Memoirs!!!
Thanks, It's pretty much guaranteed that I'll enjoy it. I have loved every one of his films I've seen so far.

jiraffejustin 08-21-21 11:11 AM

I watched Waltz with Bashir last night.

I wasn't sure what score to go with. I probably wouldn't have scored it if it wasn't the main part of the game. On one hand, I thought it was a little slow going in the beginning. On the other, by the end, I was fully invested. The slow beginning makes sense to me, as we are watching a man try to unlock his memories, so we don't know anything either. I also lack context. These events are not something I am too familiar with, if I knew more about it, I think it would probably help on future viewings. In fact, I just think in general I could see this film being more enjoyable the more I view it. The animation style is cool, but not blowaway amazing or anything. I think it helps to create a certain overall package that I can't recall getting in anything else I've ever seen. So kudos for being original. I think a device that worked tremendously was the switch from animation to archival footage, which was a great symbol of all the memories being fully back and being totally real. This film is only 90 minutes, but I am curious if I would have liked it a little more if it was a little shorter. I'll have to report back on that if I ever go back to it.

edarsenal 08-23-21 03:41 PM

https://j.gifs.com/M8Q5GB.gif
https://64.media.tumblr.com/dba8cff4...3fbfd8166.gifv
https://64.media.tumblr.com/586daff6...a5a97e369.gifv

Memories of Murder aka Salinui chueok (2003)

Detective Cho Yong-koo: I only beat you up because I care about you.

Like other of his films, Director Bong Joon Ho has a knack for drawing you into his cinematic world with quirky humor in the midst of a serious/dramatic situation. That knack is the amazing balancing act that we very easily find ourselves immersed into the world-building itself instead of wondering if this is a comedy or a drama. This wonderful little trick engages us so that we are fully involved in what occurs. Reminding me of an interview of Tarantino I once saw shortly after his first film, Reservoir Dogs came out, regarding the famous Mr. Blonde Torturing a Cop Scene. How Mr. Blonde dances to the pop song "Stuck In The Middle With You" during that scene draws you in before the violence occurs; thereby, the violence is more effective.

Bong has this down to an artistic science. Add to that the talent for capturing Human Nature in both the scenes and through his actors that really sets him apart and above many other directors of his perspective genres of cinema. Its importance is that it is those nuances of human behavior that make for memorable scenes that stay with us as opposed to remarking on, "Oh, yeah, great movie. Don't remember much, but, great movie."
It also causes us to continually delve deeper and deeper into a specific Director, as I have done with Bong Joon Ho. Having, presently, seen five of his major films thus far. Missing out on Barking Dogs Never Bite and Okja at this time.
Leaving me to ponder where I would set this in the ones I have seen, placing it about the middle of the pack. Not that I found it lacking or every day - far from it, more so since I love for both Parasite and Mother slightly higher. Though it is a tight run.

Based on a set of murder/rapes in the eighties with inspiration from Alan Moore's comic book From Hell along with from a play called 'Come See Me' which dramatized the incidents, Bong gives us two lead detectives of two definitive ways of procedure. The first, a personal favorite actor of mine, Kang-ho Song as Detective Park Doo-man, who, along with his partner, will fabricate evidence and literally "kick' a confession out of a suspect to close the case. And, from the Seoul department, Kim Sang-kyung as Detective Seo Tae-yoon actually investigates both the dismal amount of evidence and where they truly lead to.
Their conflicting styles are at the core of the investigation, and from there, much of the memorable scenes stem from. Along with every single aspect of a truly excellent Murder Investigation genre film is brought into play via Bong's flair and creative dedication.

CosmicRunaway 08-23-21 04:57 PM

I've been meaning to watch Memories of Murder for awhile now. Seeing that rating makes me want to do so even more. I really like Parasite and Mother, but I haven't been as big a fan of his other films. Okja is fine for what it is, but I wasn't impressed by either Snowpiecer or The Host. Haven't seen Barking Dogs Never Bite.

Allaby 08-23-21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2232731)
https://j.gifs.com/M8Q5GB.gif
https://64.media.tumblr.com/dba8cff4...3fbfd8166.gifv
https://64.media.tumblr.com/586daff6...a5a97e369.gifv

Memories of Murder aka Salinui chueok (2003)

Detective Cho Yong-koo: I only beat you up because I care about you.

Like other of his films, Director Bong Joon Ho has a knack for drawing you into his cinematic world with quirky humor in the midst of a serious/dramatic situation. That knack is the amazing balancing act that we very easily find ourselves immersed into the world-building itself instead of wondering if this is a comedy or a drama. This wonderful little trick engages us so that we are fully involved in what occurs. Reminding me of an interview of Tarantino I once saw shortly after his first film, Reservoir Dogs came out, regarding the famous Mr. Blonde Torturing a Cop Scene. How Mr. Blonde dances to the pop song "Stuck In The Middle With You" during that scene draws you in before the violence occurs; thereby, the violence is more effective.

Bong has this down to an artistic science. Add to that the talent for capturing Human Nature in both the scenes and through his actors that really sets him apart and above many other directors of his perspective genres of cinema. Its importance is that it is those nuances of human behavior that make for memorable scenes that stay with us as opposed to remarking on, "Oh, yeah, great movie. Don't remember much, but, great movie."
It also causes us to continually delve deeper and deeper into a specific Director, as I have done with Bong Joon Ho. Having, presently, seen five of his major films thus far. Missing out on Barking Dogs Never Bite and Okja at this time.
Leaving me to ponder where I would set this in the ones I have seen, placing it about the middle of the pack. Not that I found it lacking or every day - far from it, more so since I love for both Parasite and Mother slightly higher. Though it is a tight run.

Based on a set of murder/rapes in the eighties with inspiration from Alan Moore's comic book From Hell along with from a play called 'Come See Me' which dramatized the incidents, Bong gives us two lead detectives of two definitive ways of procedure. The first, a personal favorite actor of mine, Kang-ho Song as Detective Park Doo-man, who, along with his partner, will fabricate evidence and literally "kick' a confession out of a suspect to close the case. And, from the Seoul department, Kim Sang-kyung as Detective Seo Tae-yoon actually investigates both the dismal amount of evidence and where they truly lead to.
Their conflicting styles are at the core of the investigation, and from there, much of the memorable scenes stem from. Along with every single aspect of a truly excellent Murder Investigation genre film is brought into play via Bong's flair and creative dedication.

Great review! Glad you liked it. It’s an excellent film.

edarsenal 08-23-21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2232749)
I've been meaning to watch Memories of Murder for awhile now. Seeing that rating makes me want to do so even more. I really like Parasite and Mother, but I haven't been as big a fan of his other films. Okja is fine for what it is, but I wasn't impressed by either Snowpiecer or The Host. Haven't seen Barking Dogs Never Bite.
Definitely something to see if you enjoyed Parasite and Mother. It's at that level.
I was TBH, so-so for The Host, though the humor in it DID set it apart. And I'm of the minority that enjoyed Snowpiercer. For some odd reason I've steered away from Okja. Unsure why, but I have.
Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2232750)
Great review! Glad you liked it. It’s an excellent film.
Yes it is, and THANK YOU for prompting me to see it. :)

CosmicRunaway 08-23-21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2232763)
For some odd reason I've steered away from Okja. Unsure why, but I have.
It's tonally quite different from his other films, and its so odd that you really have to be in the right mood for it, I think.

BooBooKittyFock 08-23-21 06:19 PM

Hey guys, should be good to do this next film for this week. The following week I will either be late or won’t be able to do it.

Taking a trip up to Boston from the 31-5.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2232775)
Hey guys, should be good to do this next film for this week. The following week I will either be late or won’t be able to do it.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll go ahead and post the next round today.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 06:30 PM

Round 3

@Citizen Rules @jiraffejustin
-------------
@edarsenal @BooBooKittyFock
--------------
@CosmicRunaway @Allaby

Here we go!

Allaby 08-23-21 07:25 PM

@CosmicRunaway

My nominations for you:

Ikiru (1952)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Limelight (1952)

jiraffejustin 08-23-21 08:52 PM

@Citizen Rules

War and Peace (1965; Sergey Bondarchuk): I offered this one up to you the first time around, and you turned it down because of the length and thinking you might not be able to finish it in a week. I offer it up again, just in case.

The Given Word (1962; Anselmo Duarte): I am not sure how I should explain this one without just going over the plot. Something tells me this is something you might like.

Cairo Station (1958; Youssef Chahine): This is a film-noir made in Egypt. If we were not given a choice of three but made to watch a specific movie, this would be the one I would give you.

edarsenal 08-23-21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2232773)
It's tonally quite different from his other films, and its so odd that you really have to be in the right mood for it, I think.
Interesting

Thank you

edarsenal 08-23-21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2232775)

Hope ya have a wonderful time!!

Here's my choices for you:

Rififi (1955)

Army of Shadows aka L'armée des ombres (1969)

Serenity (2005)

BooBooKittyFock 08-23-21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2232833)
Hope ya have a wonderful time!!

Here's my choices for you:

Rififi (1955)

Army of Shadows aka L'armée des ombres (1969)

Serenity (2005)

Definitely leaning towards Rififi even though I loved Le Samurai and as much as I would like to see another Melville, Rififi is calling.

I’ve also seen Serenity a few times, just haven’t been able to finish and never had the motivation to.

ThNk you so much, doing my normal drunk history vacations, history and breweries!

Btw, what are some of your favorite genres/sub genres?

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2232828)
@Citizen Rules

War and Peace (1965; Sergey Bondarchuk): I offered this one up to you the first time around, and you turned it down because of the length and thinking you might not be able to finish it in a week. I offer it up again, just in case.

The Given Word (1962; Anselmo Duarte): I am not sure how I should explain this one without just going over the plot. Something tells me this is something you might like.

Cairo Station (1958; Youssef Chahine): This is a film-noir made in Egypt. If we were not given a choice of three but made to watch a specific movie, this would be the one I would give you.
I swear I had a premonition that you'd pick War and Peace for me again...and I was kinda hoping you would too. So I guess I'm not surprised:p and I can't turn it down again so I'll watch it. Probably take me three nights of viewing but I'll get it done.

I've heard good stuff about Cairo Station, I'll have to watch it sometime. I've not heard of The Given Word but I would be interested in that one too. I'll post yours shortly.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 10:14 PM

I might need a link for War and Peace. I just looked at my favorite Russian site and I couldn't find it.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2232853)
I might need a link for War and Peace. I just looked at my favorite Russian site and I couldn't find it.
Never Mind...I found it. I just need to find subs now, or learn Russian.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 10:35 PM

The Childhood of a Leader (2015)....A different type of film, minimalist maybe or observatory? I'm not sure what classification it fits into, maybe none.

Heaven's Gate (1980)
...Michael Cimino's cinematography is impressive to say the least. It's a long film with a prologue, main film and a epilogue, but worth the time.

The Red Shoes (1948)...It's been a long time since I seen this. But I remember being impressed.

jiraffejustin 08-23-21 10:47 PM

I'm thinking I'll go with The Red Shoes as it helps me knock another P&P film off my to-do list.

Citizen Rules 08-23-21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2232858)
I'm thinking I'll go with The Red Shoes as it helps me knock another P&P film off my to-do list.
Raul just watched that in the The Personal Rec IV and really liked it. Happy watching.

edarsenal 08-23-21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2232846)
Definitely leaning towards Rififi even though I loved Le Samurai and as much as I would like to see another Melville, Rififi is calling.

I’ve also seen Serenity a few times, just haven’t been able to finish and never had the motivation to.

ThNk you so much, doing my normal drunk history vacations, history and breweries!

Btw, what are some of your favorite genres/sub genres?
History and breweries is ALWAYS a great mix! LOL

And if Rififi calls, then ya gotta answer. :) It's on the top echelon of crime capers and a film that will continually get recommended by anyone who has seen it so (fingers crossed) you'll enjoy it.

I do have a wide variety of genres I enjoy but with being a MoFo I have had some wonderful opportunities to branch out. If ya like, to make it easy and to guarantee I haven't seen it, here's a Cheat Sheet to wander through and pick a few from.

BooBooKittyFock 08-23-21 11:10 PM

@edarsenal

Badlands: Terrence Malick

1917: Sam Mendes

My own personal recommendation-

My Name is Nobody: Written by Sergio Leone/Directed by Tonino Valerii

Very corny Spaghetti Western, definitely not for everyone. It’s got a good moral story and it’s a very fun film, more of a comedy.

CosmicRunaway 08-24-21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2232796)
My nominations for you:

Ikiru (1952)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Limelight (1952)
Those are some great picks! I have no idea which one I'm going to go with.

I hope you don't mind waiting a little while for my choices for you. I had just gone to bed when CR posted the next round, and I have to head to work soon. I'm not working a full day though, so I should have some films lined up for you by early this afternoon.

CosmicRunaway 08-24-21 11:00 AM

@Allaby
Here are your choices! Sorry for the wait, but I managed to get them in just before noon at least haha. You have seen so many films and don't have anything on your watchlist, so I wasn't sure what direction to go in. Hopefully at least one of these will appeal to you!

Incendies (2010)

Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
Notes: You liked some of Villeneueve's other work, so hopefully this one will be up your alley too, even if the subject matter is a bit different from his other films.

Strange Days (1995)
Directed by: Kathryn Bigelow
Notes: Runtime's a little long, but it's a good watch if you want a sci-fi thirller with a dose of social commentary.

Persepolis (2007)
Directed by: Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud
Notes: Am I going to choose an animated film for everyone? Maybe.

Allaby 08-24-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2232952)
@Allaby
Here are your choices! Sorry for the wait, but I managed to get them in just before noon at least haha. You have seen so many films and don't have anything on your watchlist, so I wasn't sure what direction to go in. Hopefully at least one of these will appeal to you!

Incendies (2010)

Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
Notes: You liked some of Villeneueve's other work, so hopefully this one will be up your alley too, even if the subject matter is a bit different from his other films.

Strange Days (1995)
Directed by: Kathryn Bigelow
Notes: Runtime's a little long, but it's a good watch if you want a sci-fi thirller with a dose of social commentary.

Persepolis (2007)
Directed by: Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud
Notes: Am I going to choose an animated film for everyone? Maybe.
Those all sound like good recommendations. I have been meaning to get around to all three. I think I will go with Persepolis.

edarsenal 08-24-21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2232863)
@edarsenal

Badlands: Terrence Malick

1917: Sam Mendes

My own personal recommendation-

My Name is Nobody: Written by Sergio Leone/Directed by Tonino Valerii

Very corny Spaghetti Western, definitely not for everyone. It’s got a good moral story and it’s a very fun film, more of a comedy.
It's been a few years since I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed My Name is Nobody. Great film, with an up-and-coming looking to give a famous old gun, whether he wants it or not, an equally famous ending.
There's a great little story that Terrance Stamp's Nobody tells, in parts during the film that I've always loved that they tell, with minor changes, in one full shot in Assassins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXoKGB2RA8

I've been hunting for 1917 on and off all summer, but it seems, since Showtime has it, they may have shut down all other streaming opportunities, so I will happily see Badlands, which I do have a link for.
Thanks!!

BooBooKittyFock 08-25-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2233040)
It's been a few years since I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed My Name is Nobody. Great film, with an up-and-coming looking to give a famous old gun, whether he wants it or not, an equally famous ending.
There's a great little story that Terrance Stamp's Nobody tells, in parts during the film that I've always loved that they tell, with minor changes, in one full shot in Assassins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXoKGB2RA8

I've been hunting for 1917 on and off all summer, but it seems, since Showtime has it, they may have shut down all other streaming opportunities, so I will happily see Badlands, which I do have a link for.
Thanks!!
That’s awesome! Thanks for the video! One of my favorite parts of the film besides the bar scene with the shooting game.

CosmicRunaway 08-25-21 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80607

Ikiru / 生きる (1952)
Starring: Takashi Shimura, Miki Odagiri, Shinichi Himori

Going into Ikiru, I expected a slow, melancholy story about one man suffering alone at the end of his life. Though the film does have a rather depressing tone, to my surprise it's actually quite heartfelt and not entirely devoid of hope. The runtime could use a little trimming, but overall I found myself quite engaged.

I have something of a soft spot for films that criticize bureaucracy. While Brazil satirized it, and Shin Godzilla turned it into an antagonist, Ikiru had apparently produced a combination of both, decades before either of those films were made. It's as integral to the story as Watanabe's search for meaning, and unexpectedly takes centre stage for the latter half of the film.

The entire cast was great, but Takashi Shimura's performance was definitely the highlight of the film's earlier scenes. I can't imagine Ikiru without him. His sad eyes pulled at my heartstrings without him needing to even say a word, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I reached for the tissues on more than one occasion.

CosmicRunaway 08-25-21 03:55 PM

Ikiru was another film that graduated from a
to a
when I reflected on what I wanted to say about it.

It's really somewhere between the two ratings though, with the former feeling a little low, and the latter looking just a touch too high. Now I get why some people give ratings with + and - modifiers haha.

Allaby 08-25-21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2233353)

Ikiru / 生きる (1952)

Going into Ikiru, I expected a slow, melancholy story about one man suffering alone at the end of his life. Though the film does have a rather depressing tone, to my surprise it's actually quite heartfelt and not entirely devoid of hope. The runtime could use a little trimming, but overall I found myself quite engaged.

I have something of a soft spot for films that criticize bureaucracy. While Brazil satirized it, and Shin Godzilla turned it into an antagonist, Ikiru had apparently produced a combination of both, decades before either of those films were made. It's as integral to the story as Watanabe's search for meaning, and unexpectedly takes centre stage for the latter half of the film.

The entire cast was great, but Takashi Shimura's performance was definitely the highlight of the film's earlier scenes. I can't imagine Ikiru without him. His sad eyes pulled at my heartstrings without him needing to even say a word, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I reached for the tissues on more than one occasion.

Glad you liked it! For me, Ikiru is a masterpiece and a

Allaby 08-25-21 08:09 PM

I just finished watching Persepolis (2007), as suggested by @CosmicRunaway. Directed by Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi, this animated film is based on the Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel. The film was nominated for several awards, including best animated feature film at the Oscars and best foreign language film at the Golden Globes. It is about a young girl growing up in Iran during the Iranian Revolution and her experiences. This is an unusual and excellent film that is well worth watching. I loved the look of the animation. The story was interesting and told in an effective, intelligent way. Persepolis is a film with substance that has something worthwhile to say. The main character was fantastic and I liked watching her grow up and seeing how she responded to others and the situations she was in. This was a great suggestion for me and I'm glad I watched it.

CosmicRunaway 08-26-21 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2233431)
This was a great suggestion for me and I'm glad I watched it.
I'm relieved you enjoyed it, because it was the option I was on the fence about nominating the most.

I wanted to pick an animated film, and it was between that and Millennium Actress. I went with Persepolis because, even though they're tonally very different, you placed Satoshi Kon's Paprika fairly low on your ballot for the Asian HoF, and there are similar elements at play in those two films (particularly the blending of reality and fantasy).

edarsenal 08-27-21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2233353)

Ikiru / 生きる (1952)

Very wonderful review and, normally, I've become a bit reluctant with sad films. Not out of dislike but out of a preference for laughter in my older years. There are absolute exceptions. Such as, most recently, like Shoplifters, and Grave of Fireflies off the top of my head that easily hit my echelon of favorite tear-jerkers and I have a very strong belief Ikiru could be of that stature and I'm pretty excited to find out with it on my Wishlist/Movie Challenge.

edarsenal 08-27-21 02:33 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

https://antifilmschoolsite.files.wor...op-1.jpg?w=584
https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-con...4/badlands.jpg

Badlands (1973)

Holly Sargis: At this moment, I didn't feel shame or fear, but just kind of blah, like when you're sitting there and all the water's run out of the bathtub.

I have seen two Malick films, The Thin Red Line, which I remember in the theater in confusion at the arthouse film I mistakenly thought would be a gritty war flick. And Tree of Life. A mesmerizing film of poetic imagery.
With all the respect I have and a deep fascination with his symbology-infused imagery, I have felt like a young child being told a poetic fable whose intricacies are just out of his feeble grasp. So, I have had equal measures of intrigue and reluctance to experiencing his debut feature film. A film, like so many truly worthwhile endeavors - d@mn near didn't come to be due to every single problem of a variety of levels, causing all kinds of havoc.
And like so many truly worthwhile endeavors, it endured and blossomed.
And now, almost fifty years later, I have experienced and fully enjoyed this Terrence Malick film where he was the director and the chief producer, screenwriter, and uncredited editor. BRAVO sir.

Inspired by and set at the time of two similar youths on a murder spree in the late fifties North West and a statement regarding the glamorization of killers that was becoming common in Hollywood, Malick does not take that route. Nor does he necessarily go in the opposite direction either by demonizing the central characters.
Kit (Martin Sheen) is an affable young man who doesn't hesitate to kill when he believes it's warranted. Holly (Sissy Spacek) is our Narrator and, thereby, our perspective of all that occurs. A teenage girl's fantasy of love and an almost indifferent/lackluster regard to the murders tallying up as they go on the run.
Even the soundtrack in some of the early scenes has a fantastical cant to it. But unlike the usual intention of adding an ironic and, therefore, more intense feel, Malick truly creates something dreamlike as we experience it all through young Holly's perception. But, Malick also is able to keep a substantial reality to all of it as well. A finesse that would mature and grow in his later films is presented here in its promising infancy.

edarsenal 08-27-21 02:34 PM

Like others here, i found myself talking myself into an additional half popcorn to my rating lol

THANK YOU BooBooKittyFock!

CosmicRunaway 08-27-21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2233801)
Very wonderful review and, normally, I've become a bit reluctant with sad films. Not out of dislike but out of a preference for laughter in my older years. There are absolute exceptions. Such as, most recently, like Shoplifters, and Grave of Fireflies off the top of my head that easily hit my echelon of favorite tear-jerkers and I have a very strong belief Ikiru could be of that stature and I'm pretty excited to find out with it on my Wishlist/Movie Challenge.
Thanks! I'd say Ikiru is probably closer to Shoplifters than Grave of the Fireflies. It's sad, but not really in a depressing way (even though it deals with a terminal illness and stifling bureaucracy). It was the first time in awhile I genuinely felt something while watching a film, so it certainly deserves recognition for that alone. Hopefully if/when you get around to it, it ultimately ends up being the good kind of tear-jerker for you as well.

edarsenal 08-27-21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2233836)
Thanks! I'd say Ikiru is probably closer to Shoplifters than Grave of the Fireflies. It's sad, but not really in a depressing way (even though it deals with a terminal illness and stifling bureaucracy). It was the first time in awhile I genuinely felt something while watching a film, so it certainly deserves recognition for that alone. Hopefully if/when you get around to it, it ultimately ends up being the good kind of tear-jerker for you as well.
Very cool.
That non-depressing tone is an additional plus for me. I found a similar reaction to Bicycle Thieves when I watched it earlier this year.
I noted GofF simply because even though Its emotional reaction took me out for a number of weeks, I would still see it again. That kind of gravity is something that keeps me from rewatching such films as Manchester By The Sea (2016), or The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012). Both, truly great films but hit me far too hard, depression-wise, to revisit voluntarily. Especially TBCB which I truly, truly loved, and OH MY GOD I was an utter lump of sadness as the credits ran; to the point that I can still get a sense of it just thinking about it. :bawling::yup:

Citizen Rules 08-28-21 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80733
Cairo Station (1958)

I had intended to watch War and Peace, I downloaded the entire 7 hour movie only to find I couldn't get sub titles for it. I found subs, but they were in parts, from 1-4. I even tried combining the sub files to no avail. Well maybe some other time. But I'm glad I watched Cairo Station!

Hind Rostom, who was the lead actress was dynamite in this. She had the same vitality as Brigitte Bardot. They even kind of looked alike, but mostly they just popped right off the screen with their unbridled enthusiasm and joy.

I liked the story idea of all the going ons at a crowded Cairo railway station. People were hustling and bustling and busy going somewhere. The antagonist was good too as a creepy stalker dude, who was way too horny for his own good.

jiraffejustin 08-30-21 03:01 AM

I watched The Red Shoes and I liked it a lot. I'll say more about it tomorrow, but for now I'll say that The Red Shoes ballet is one of the greatest scenes in the history of cinema. Masterclass in filmmaking in that scene.

jiraffejustin 08-30-21 01:52 PM

I'm going with
for The Red Shoes. The performance of The Red Shoes ballet is an easy
+ for me. It was dazzling. The rest of the film is good, but that scene alone elevates this film at least half-a-star. The film is gorgeous as all Pressburger and Powell Technicolor films are. Those guys are officially in my group of favorite directors of all-time now. I have seen enough to know that they are fantastic and made lively and memorable films. The biggest positive, other than that scene, is that this film made me care about the ballet, which I don't care about at all.

Citizen Rules 08-30-21 10:44 PM

Who's smart here?:)....I can't figure out how to evenly pair up the 4th round? Maybe I'm just tired or just plain stupid! Or maybe both, ha. But it looks to me that there's no way to do it evenly.

jiraffejustin 08-30-21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2234646)
Who's smart here?:)....I can't figure out how to evenly pair up the 4th round? Maybe I'm just tired or just plain stupid! Or maybe both, ha. But it looks to me that there's no way to do it evenly.
What you could possibly do is do two groups of three. You, Cosmic, and Ed in a group, Me, Allaby, and BBKF in the other group. You recommend for Cosmic and Ed, Cosmic for you and Ed, and Ed for you and Cosmic. Same concept with the other group. We do a two week round instead of one to give time for both to be watched.

edarsenal 08-31-21 12:06 AM

That's actually a pretty good idea!

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2234646)
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2234650)
What you could possibly do is do two groups of three. You, Cosmic, and Ed in a group, Me, Allaby, and BBKF in the other group. You recommend for Cosmic and Ed, Cosmic for you and Ed, and Ed for you and Cosmic. Same concept with the other group. We do a two week round instead of one to give time for both to be watched.
That sounds like a good plan.

Question to everyone: was there a way to arrange the pairings so that we didn't end up with an uneven pair in the fourth round?

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2234767)
Question to everyone: was there a way to arrange the pairings so that we didn't end up with an uneven pair in the fourth round?
Using some sort of round robin generator might've sorted that out at the start. Not sure about now though.

As it stands, jj's workaround is pretty ingenious. :up:

jiraffejustin 08-31-21 01:43 PM

Yeah, from the beginning you could have scheduled it out and made it work. For instance, just imagine each member is a number:

Round 1: 1&6, 2&5, 3&4
Round 2: 1&5, 4&6, 2&3
Round 3: 1&4, 3&5, 2&6
Round 4: 1&3, 2&4, 5&6
Round 5: 1&2, 3&6, 4&5

But I don't think there is a way from the current point. One of those things you don't realize will be a problem until it is. :D

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 02:22 PM

I have some free time and have no idea what I want to do otherwise, so I'm just going to preemptively pick out films for both CR and Ed so I'm ready for the next round no matter what. :cool:

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2234797)
I have some free time and have no idea what I want to do otherwise, so I'm just going to preemptively pick out films for both CR and Ed so I'm ready for the next round no matter what. :cool:
I'm working right now, at least I'm suppose to be:p But I will go with JJ's solution for a three way round and post that as soon as I can.

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 03:33 PM

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 03:56 PM

@Citizen Rules
Here are your options from me this round:

Another Round (2020)
Directed by: Thomas Vinterberg
Notes: Pacing and tone are similar to films you've enjoyed in past HoFs, so I think you might like this.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Directed by: Isao Takahata
Notes: In case you're looking for some heartbreak.

The Producers (1967)
Directed by: Mel Brooks
Notes: This really feels like the kind of film you would've seen already, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if you just forgot to mark it off the site lists.

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 04:01 PM

@edarsenal

And here are your picks for this round! If the last one is too new let me know and I can replace it.

District B13 (2004)
Directed by: Pierre Morel
Notes: You said you've been meaning to check this out, so here's a chance. I actually just rewatched it and it's still a fun, fast-paced action flick I'd recommend. As a bonus, you can practice your French (though this isn't québécois haha)

Ikiru (1952)
Directed by: Akira Kurosawa
Notes: Am I just picking films you already showed interest in earlier in the thread? Maybe. I do think this is the kind of sad you'll enjoy though!

Nobody (2021)
Directed by: Ilya Naishuller
Notes: I wouldn't normally have gone with something so new, but your 2021 challenge "Nightmare Mode" still has a few slots for 2021 films and this is a great John Wick-like film that's worth a watch if you're in the mood for it.

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 04:01 PM

@edarsenal

Space Station 76 (2014) Yes, it's only rated a mere 4.9, but those people missed the point of the movie! It's not a sci-fi blockbuster action movie, it's more of a commentary on life in the 1970s. I do think someone who experienced the 1970s would get the most out of the movie. Just don't let the opening credit scene, throw you for a loop.
In the first 1 minute of the film, I formed an opinion that turned out to be 180 degrees wrong and I ended up really liking it.

Alice's Restaurant (1969) This is truly a one of a kind movie, made in 1969 about young people 'hippies' and featuring Arlo Gutherie who so fits this movie, he's good in it too. The movie making itself feels like a free form 'hippie' type movie (I mean that in a good way). I think you'd dig it! I sure did. A happy film.

I Love You to Death (1990) Filmed in the city I grew up in, with some cool local landmarks like Bob's Java Jive, oh and Phoebe Cates never looked cuter, though she only has a cameo.

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 04:07 PM

I'll post yours Cosmic on my next work break.

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 04:53 PM

Is there a way to do a movie title search on someone's letterboxd account. I'm looking to find the choices for Cosmic and I can see how to sort them by a-z or by decade or by rating, but is there a way I can just type the name of the movie and find it quickly?

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2234869)
[...] is there a way I can just type the name of the movie and find it quickly?
If you make a burner account and add me, you could see whether or not I've marked something as seen on the film's page (which you can quickly search for), under "activity from friends". For example:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80834

(Seen but not rated still shows up here too, as do things marked on your friends' watchlists)

If you don't want to go through the trouble to make an account just to delete it later, sadly the best way I found was to sort the person's viewed films by decade, then specific year. Hopefully someone more familiar with the site will have a better option.

jiraffejustin 08-31-21 05:54 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

Samurai Rebellion (1967; Masaki Kobayashi) - You have Harakiri in your top ten, this is by the same dude and it's also a samurai flick... should be down your alley.

Solaris (1972; Andrei Tarkovsky) - It seems as though you haven't seen any Tarkovsky films, or at least none that I noticed. I don't know much about your tastes, but whether you end up liking it or not, I feel like he's essential viewing.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002; Park Chan-Wook) - Looking through your watchlist, it shows you haven't seen this little ditty. I figured this would be a change of pace compared to the other two.

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 05:56 PM

Thanks Cosmic, AtoZ or decades seems the easiest for me without an account. Couldn't that site put a search in:rolleyes:

Citizen Rules 08-31-21 06:02 PM

@CosmicRunaway

You're the hardest for me to pick for:) I know you like sci-fi and fantasy and LOVE musicals;) but all the sci fis I thought of, you've seen and apparently hated, ha! I did put some thought into these and hope you like one of them.

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me 'So weit die Füße tragen" (2001) I've seen this twice and really liked it.

The Blue Light 'Das blaue Licht' (1932) I thought this was kinda cool especially the cinematography for 1932.

Giovanni's Island 'Jobanni no shima' (2014)
I seen this in a HoF and was impressed.

CosmicRunaway 08-31-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2234896)
[...]all the sci fis I thought of, you've seen and apparently hated, ha!
I need to work on my rating system. A lot of my scores are skewed towards the lower end of the scale because I was using 2.5 as a baseline for an all-around average film I liked. So now there are films I only rated say, a 2 that I actually found quite entertaining and would happily watch something similar.

When I have the time I'll probably go through and re-rate all my films within the context of their own genre or something, maybe base it more on pure enjoyment, even if the film has technical flaws.

jiraffejustin 08-31-21 06:24 PM

For @Allaby, I'll wait until I get home, because I'll need the extra focus to find something he hasn't seen.

jiraffejustin 08-31-21 06:38 PM

I take that back. I found some thanks to letterboxd.

A Visitor to a Museum (1989; Konstantin Lopushanksy)

Divorce Italian Style (1961; Pietro Germi)

The Night of Counting the Years aka Al-Mummia (1969; Shadi Abdel Salam)

I think very highly of all three of these films and they are all very different from one another. I don't know if you would like all three of them, but surely at least one of these would do you right.

@Allaby