Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Fantasy Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61784)

Citizen Rules 06-30-20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104423)
....I almost went with Jason and The Argonauts, Clash of the Titans (original), and Krull.
Seen all BUT a long, long time ago, so would've welcomed a long needed rewatch.

Also, there is a fantasy film for the life of me I can’t recall but it involved the heroes fighting a 3 headed hound very obviously based off of Cerberus around some stone building.
Help?
I've seen that one too, but can't remember the name.

MovieGal 06-30-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2104431)
Hah, you certainly like the Finnish cinema more than I do. Other than that, many of your past recommendations have good (I haven't necessarily liked them always, but they've been the kind of movies that have a high potential for me).
Finnish cinema and music. I am a Poets of the Fall fan. They would be considered adult contemporary music here. I could see them opening for The Goo Goo Dolls.

But I like most music styles.

I hate my Google on my phone.

Wyldesyde19 06-30-20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104433)
Yeah, it’s bugging me. I put the question up on the “movie questions” forum. I should get an answer from someone there.

MovieGal 06-30-20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104433)
Seen all BUT a long, long time ago, so would've welcomed a long needed rewatch.

Harryhausen films are great!!!

MovieGal 06-30-20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104436)
Yeah, it’s bugging me. I put the question up on the “movie questions” forum. I should get an answer from someone there.
Its a Harryhausen film I'm sure.

Probably a Sinbad film.

MovieGal 06-30-20 07:44 PM

Re: The Fantasy Hall of Fame

You all wanna watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. It has one of the most beautiful woman in it..in my opinion and I don't think many are beautiful.

Wyldesyde19 06-30-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104439)
You all wanna watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. It has one of the most beautiful woman in it..in my opinion and I don't think many are beautiful.
I’ve seen it. I think it’s the only Sinbad film I’ve seen. The giant Sabre tooth tiger vs the troll (?) at the end was really well done.

Citizen Rules 06-30-20 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104439)
Awesomely fun film! and if you mean Jane Seymour, hell yes!

MovieGal 06-30-20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104440)
I’ve seen it. I think it’s the only Sinbad film I’ve seen. The giant Sabre tooth tiger vs the troll (?) at the end was really well done.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104446)
Awesomely fun film! and if you mean Jane Seymour, hell yes!

Yeah I think Wildsyde19 missed what I meant...lol and he wasnt a troll but a Cyclops.. they are popular in Greek stories and myths.

Yes CR.. Jane..

Wyldesyde19 06-30-20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104447)
Yeah I think Wildsyde19 missed what I meant...lol and he wasnt a troll but a Cyclops.. they are popular in Greek stories and myths.

Yes CR.. Jane..
I know what you meant.*I just remember the end fight more then Seymour. Been way too long since I’ve seen it.
And I’m also aware of Greek mythology.
I knew it was something, just couldn’t remember what it was. Hence the question mark.

MovieGal 06-30-20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104451)
I know what you meant.*I just remember the end fight more then Seymour. Been way too long since I’ve seen it.
And I’m also aware of Greek mythology.
I knew it was something, just couldn’t remember what it was. Hence the question mark.
I have an interest in many cultures mythology... including folklore and fairytales... I have written some of my own (folklore and fairytales)

Wyldesyde19 06-30-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104452)
I have an interest in many cultures mythology... including folklore and fairytales... I have written some of my own (folklore and fairytales)
I love old mythology. Read a lot about Greek and Norse. More of the former then the latter however.
Been meaning to expand further.
It’s so cool that you write your own. 🙂
Have you eve considered publishing them?

MovieGal 06-30-20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104453)
I love old mythology. Read a lot about Greek and Norse. More of the former then the latter however.
Been meaning to expand further.
It’s so cool that you write your own. 🙂
Have you eve considered publishing them?
I have two blog sites... my poetry and my other writings...

Yeah .. and Amazon will help you publish... I just dont have the time to do it.

MovieGal 06-30-20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 2103045)
If The Princess Bride isn't eligible, I might join. :p

Though I'm still not sure cause I don't know what kind of movies would be in this!
Neiba, be adventurous and join in...

Have I ever let you down on a great film?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.

Not all those who wander are lost.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 04:23 AM

I’ll go ahead and state what I almost nominated as I don’t think it will give anything away, but I almost went with Jason and The Argonauts, Clash of the Titans (original), and Krull. Decided against them.
Strangely, every one of those were on tv the last time I went home to visit my mom. Naturally I rewatched all of them haha.

Also, there is a fantasy film for the life of me I can’t recall but it involved the heroes fighting a 3 headed hound very obviously based off of Cerberus around some stone building.

Help? 😑
I assume it's not the Cerberus from Clash then, since you mentioned almost nominating it. My next guess would be like, pretty much any Hercules film.

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104425)
Sure thing.

Group message huh?

Wow kinda shocked.
I think at this point it might be easier to just post them here haha.

gbgoodies 07-01-20 04:32 AM

Harry Potter is worth watching. It gets better as the series nears its end, as it gets much darker.
The Hobbit Trilogy as not very good.
Really enjoyed the LoTR trilogy as a whole but agree the second one is the weakest of the 3. That really isn’t a slight though.
For the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit movies, do you have to watch them in order, or can they be watched as standalone movies?

I’ll go ahead and state what I almost nominated as I don’t think it will give anything away, but I almost went with Jason and The Argonauts, Clash of the Titans (original), and Krull. Decided against them.
Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2104499)
Strangely, every one of those were on tv the last time I went home to visit my mom. Naturally I rewatched all of them haha.
Clash of the Titans was on TCM a couple of days ago. I DVRed it just in case it shows up in this HoF.

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104452)
I have an interest in many cultures mythology... including folklore and fairytales...
Same here. I took a folklore class in University because of that interest. You have no idea how disappointed I was that it focused on real local history, and not the type of fables and tales we often see in fantasy films. We didn't even cover anything remotely interesting, like the legend of Sheila NaGeira, just what it was like for our grandparents growing up here.

Mr Minio 07-01-20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104425)
Not many new comers at the forum know I'm not as Art house savvy aa arthous savvy as Mr Minio but pretty close.
Much to learn you still have, my young padawan.

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2104503)
For the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit movies, do you have to watch them in order, or can they be watched as standalone movies?
I have only seen the first 2 Harry Potter films, but I gather that they're similar to LotR and the Hobbit, in that there is a continuous narrative running through all the entries. Unless you've read the source material, I doubt any of those films (outside the first ones in each series) will work on their own.

gbgoodies 07-01-20 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2104507)
I have only seen the first 2 Harry Potter films, but I gather that they're similar to LotR and the Hobbit, in that there is a continuous narrative running through all the entries. Unless you've read the source material, I doubt any of those films (outside the first ones in each series) will work on their own.

Hopefully none of the sequels will be nominated in this HoF, or I'll have a bunch of extra movies to watch. :lol:

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2104509)
Hopefully none of the sequels will be nominated in this HoF, or I'll have a bunch of extra movies to watch. :lol:
None of the Harry Potter films have been nominated. There is however a sequel in the HoF that will likely require another film be watched for those who haven't previously seen it. I mentioned this to the person who nominated the film in case they wanted to choose something else, but they didn't think it would be an issue. We'll have to wait for the reveal to see if this is going to be a problem for anyone.

I'm going to be late for work if I don't leave soon, so you guys will find out the specifics this afternoon.

Siddon 07-01-20 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2104507)

Not really, the first four films are pretty good stand alones...one year at Hogwarts type deal with the last four being one big epic that covers the final three years. But LOTR and Hobbit you really need to watch the whole thing...Harry Potter not so much

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 11:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65619

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @HollowMan
@MovieGal @pahaK @rauldc14 @Siddon @Wyldesyde19

From urban fairytales to epic adventures, the fantasy genre is home to
countless imaginative realms that exist in every possible time period.

The real magic is the ability of these films to transport us into
a different version of reality that can be charming, deadly, or
a creative mixture of both.

As our journey through this Hall of Fame begins, these are
the quests our daring heroes have chosen to tackle:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65721

Kwaidan / 怪談 (1964)
Directed By: Masaki Kobayashi
Nominated By: Siddon

~*~

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65722

Donkey Skin / Peau d'Âne (1970)
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Nominated By: MovieGal

~*~

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65723

Excalibur (1981)
Directed By: John Boorman
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

~*~

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65724

Dragonslayer (1981)
Directed By: Matthew Robbins
Nominated By: Wyldesyde19

~*~

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65725

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Directed By: Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

~*~

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 11:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 12:04 PM

Here are my first impressions on the nominations:

Kwaidan - I watched this in preparation for the Japanese Hall of Fame. Prior to that time, I had only seen the first story. I didn't ultimately nominate it, but I did enjoy it. The last segment is my favourite.

Donkey Skin - I saw part of this film in school, but didn't watch the rest on my own time. I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but I'll keep an open mind.

Excalibur - It's been awhile since I've seen this. I remember really liking it, so I'm excited to watch it again.

Dragonslayer - This is the only film I've previously seen that I don't really recall that much about. It'll probably feel more like a new watch haha.

The Dark Crystal - My nomination. They don't really make kid's films like this anymore. I rewatched this yesterday so I'll likely have my review up later today.

Kiki's Delivery Service - This is the film I haven't seen that my room mates own. I'm not generally a fan of Miyazaki, but I do appreciate his work. I've been meaning to watch this for awhile, and I think I have a higher chance of liking this more than many of his other films.

DragonHeart - I watched this movie every single time it was on tv. Haven't seen it in ages however, so I'm definitely down to watch it again.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - I think everyone knew this was going to get nominated haha. I love the LotR films so I have no problem watching them again.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Hopefully everyone has already seen The Two Towers. Even though it wasn't nominated, I'm going to watch it between Fellowship and Return, though I know it so well I probably don't need to.

Tideland - This is the other film that'll be a first watch for me. I like some of Gilliam's other work, so I expect to like this too.

MovieGal 07-01-20 12:10 PM

I have seen all but Tideland. The Dark Crystal I am a huge fan of Henson and Brian Froud. I have many books, posters and collectibles as well.

Brian Froud is the conceptual artist of the film. He and his wife Wendy had worked with Henson on many projects. Wendy help create Yoda for Star Wars, not Yoda our fearless forum leader.

pahaK 07-01-20 12:33 PM

Let's see what we have here.

Kwaidan: With the age range CR2 gave us for the nominations, I kinda had a hunch that this would be the oldest of our films. It's been quite a while since I saw this, but I'd remember that overall I liked it. I'm pretty sure one of the stories wasn't too good, though.

Donkey Skin: Never even heard of this. Unfortunately, a family musical doesn't sound too promising.

Excalibur: I rewatched this couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It certainly has some odd settings.

Dragonslayer: It's been a long time since I saw this, but I know I did like this. One of the best family fantasy films, I'd remember.

The Dark Crystal: I watched this two months ago and found it surprisingly good. I probably won't rewatch this as it's so recent viewing (will make final decision when I'll see if I can still write something about it).

Kiki's Delivery Service: Despite Netflix having all Miyazaki's now I still haven't got to actually watching them. I guess I'll start with this then.

DragonHeart: I saw this in theaters back when it was new and most likely I didn't like it. Who knows if that's changed (I kinda doubt).

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: I honestly didn't expect people to nominate these as they really require you to watch the whole trilogy. It's been a while since I last watched these so I guess it's due time to rewatch the whole trilogy. The first two films are good but I don't personally like the last one that much.

Tideland: My nomination (who could have guessed). It's my kind of film and I really like what Gilliam did here. By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.

I'll try to have a review of my own up this week and see if I remember The Dark Crystal well enough to review too. Will start watching the other films in a week or so (will binge the full Dark series prior to that - already rewatched the first season).

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2104582)
By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.
Gilliam would've been a good guess. I considered some of his other films before I decided to go with The Dark Crystal.

Citizen Rules 07-01-20 12:45 PM

I feel like such a fantasy noob:p I've only seen a couple of these and that was like last century! So this should be real fun as everything is going to be like a first watch for me.

Excalibur...my nomination.
I'm not a religious person but Excalibur is very close to my own ideas of spirituality. It's not the story at the forefront, but the underlying story that touches me so.
I doubt anyone will see it the way I do, but to me this is a very special movie. There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

When you watch this see if you can figure out just what the heck I'm talking about:)

MovieGal 07-01-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2104582)
Let's see what we have here.

Kwaidan: With the age range CR2 gave us for the nominations, I kinda had a hunch that this would be the oldest of our films. It's been quite a while since I saw this, but I'd remember that overall I liked it. I'm pretty sure one of the stories wasn't too good, though.

Donkey Skin: Never even heard of this. Unfortunately, a family musical doesn't sound too promising.

Excalibur: I rewatched this couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It certainly has some odd settings.

Dragonslayer: It's been a long time since I saw this, but I know I did like this. One of the best family fantasy films, I'd remember.

The Dark Crystal: I watched this two months ago and found it surprisingly good. I probably won't rewatch this as it's so recent viewing (will make final decision when I'll see if I can still write something about it).

Kiki's Delivery Service: Despite Netflix having all Miyazaki's now I still haven't got to actually watching them. I guess I'll start with this then.

DragonHeart: I saw this in theaters back when it was new and most likely I didn't like it. Who knows if that's changed (I kinda doubt).

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: I honestly didn't expect people to nominate these as they really require you to watch the whole trilogy. It's been a while since I last watched these so I guess it's due time to rewatch the whole trilogy. The first two films are good but I don't personally like the last one that much.

Tideland: My nomination (who could have guessed). It's my kind of film and I really like what Gilliam did here. By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.

I'll try to have a review of my own up this week and see if I remember The Dark Crystal well enough to review too. Will start watching the other films in a week or so (will binge the full Dark series prior to that - already rewatched the first season).
Mine is fantasy in a true sense of the word.

Since others may join I won't be telling my other choices in the thread.

Miss Vicky 07-01-20 12:56 PM

Pass.

Wyldesyde19 07-01-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104590)
I feel like such a fantasy noob:p I've only seen a couple of these and that was like last century! So this should be real fun as everything is going to be like a first watch for me.

Excalibur...my nomination.
I'm not a religious person but Excalibur is very close to my own ideas of spirituality. It's not the story at the forefront, but the underlying story that touches me so.
I doubt anyone will see it the way I do, but to me this is a very special movie. There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

When you watch this see if you can figure out just what the heck I'm talking about:)
Arthur: Where hides evil, then, in my kingdom?
Merlin: Always... where you never expect it. Always.

pahaK 07-01-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104590)
There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

My guess would be this:

Merlin: "When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."

Or maybe you just keep saying "Anaal nathrak" :D

Wyldesyde19 07-01-20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2104603)
My guess would be this:

Merlin: "When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."

Or maybe you just keep saying "Anaal nathrak" :D
That was my first guess. 🙂

edarsenal 07-01-20 01:30 PM

Quite the variety :)

Kwaidan: This has been on my radar for - ever, so pretty happy to finally check it out.

Donkey Skin: This is the same director who did The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and that won in the Foreign Language HoF so this should be very worthwhile.

Excalibur: Haven't seen this for decades. I do remember getting a kick out of Merlin in this. The line, "Follow your nose!" still sticks with me.

Dragonslayer: Another blast from the past. Wasnt' a big fan of it, but did like it.

The Dark Crystal: Great little film. Watched it when Netflix brought out the recent remake series but will be rewatching it for this.

Kiki's Delivery Service: One of Miyazaki's I have yet to see and will most likely be enjoying.

DragonHeart: My nomination. The moment I posted that Draco gif I kept hearing that inner voice telling me, "You know you're going with this one," and after doing a search for the possibility of something else, I answered, "yeah, I know."
Been a long time since I saw this so it should be a fun roll of the dice.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: Grew up on the books and enjoyed the trilogy. Not sure if I'll watch Two Towers, but I just might out of fun since its been a while since last viewing them. Loved the Fellowship out of the three.

Tideland: Its Terry Gilliam so its going to be WILD!! Haven't even heard of this so I'm pretty stoked about it.

HollowMan 07-01-20 01:39 PM

I haven't seen any of these other than the Lord of the Rings and most of them I would probably never watch if left to my own devices so I'm looking forward to seeing something new and different

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2104616)
The Dark Crystal: Great little film. Watched it when Netflix brought out the recent remake series but will be rewatching it for this.
The series was a prequel, not a remake. Though maybe they did remake the events of the film eventually. I only saw the first episode. I meant to watch more but I kept putting it off. Did you just watch the film, or did you see the series as well?

MovieGal 07-01-20 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Excalibur is a great film. I am a fan of Arthurian legend. Read many book series, watched many movies and even read a book about think @Citizen Rules would be interested in.

I even have Arthurian tarot cards.

MovieGal 07-01-20 02:36 PM

Dragonheart is great as well. Fan of David Thewlis and Pete Postlewaite. Love dragons as every geek does and its the Great Sean Connery.

edarsenal 07-01-20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2104634)
The series was a prequel, not a remake. Though maybe they did remake the events of the film eventually. I only saw the first episode. I meant to watch more but I kept putting it off. Did you just watch the film, or did you see the series as well?
I had forgotten it was a prequel. Thank you.
Didn't watch the series, only watched the first episode, and didn't go further.
And yeah, we re-watched the film and I'll watch it again for this HoF.

edarsenal 07-01-20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104637)
Excalibur is a great film. I am a fan of Arthurian legend. Read many book series, watched many movies and even read a book about think @Citizen Rules would be interested in.

I even have Arthurian tarot cards.
I think my favorite of Arthurian Legend books is T.H. White's Once and Future King. Read it several times as a kid and a teenager.

CosmicRunaway 07-01-20 04:09 PM

I updated the first post earlier, but figured I'd mention it here as well: I've currently set the deadline to Saturday, September 12th. Of course if anyone joins in late, we'll get an extra week for each new film.

I've apparently got writer's block, so I doubt I'll get anything written for Dark Crystal tonight. I have a few sentence fragments and keywords written, but that's about it. The first review or two are always the hardest for me, since it always seems to take a couple films to get back into the flow of things.

MovieGal 07-01-20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2104646)
I think my favorite of Arthurian Legend books is T.H. White's Once and Future King. Read it several times as a kid and a teenager.
I have several

Mists of Avalon series - Marion Zimmer Bradley

Grail Series - Stephen Lawhead

Bernard Cornwell has a very violent version. The Warlord Chronicles.

There are several others as well.

edarsenal 07-01-20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104706)
I have several

Mists of Avalon series - Marion Zimmer Bradley

Grail Series - Stephen Lawhead

Bernard Cornwell has a very violent version. The Warlord Chronicles.

There are several others as well.
I remember Mist of Avalon. Excellent series though I think I only read the first only

MovieGal 07-01-20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2104750)
I remember Mist of Avalon. Excellent series though I think I only read the first only
The third book which is s prequel to the 2nd book which is prequel to Mists...has the best and most tragic scene of love. I can read it over and over because of that scene.

The series by Stephen Lawhead..the feys were an Atlantian breed. Half of the first book is set in Atlantis.

cricket 07-01-20 07:31 PM

I think I've seen Excalibur, Dragon Slayer, Dragonheart, and The Dark Crystal, but I couldn't say definitely what is what. The first Lord of the Rings movie, while impressive, was a long tough watch. I haven't seen either sequel. Have not seen Tideland and I try to avoid Terry Gilliam movies. Never heard of Donkey Skin. Kiki was one of my favorite movies from that director. Kwaiden is quite good, probably my favorite of the bunch and certainly different from the rest.

MovieGal 07-01-20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2104780)
I think I've seen Excalibur, Dragon Slayer, Dragonheart, and The Dark Crystal, but I couldn't say definitely what is what. The first Lord of the Rings movie, while impressive, was a long tough watch. I haven't seen either sequel. Have not seen Tideland and I try to avoid Terry Gilliam movies. Never heard of Donkey Skin. Kiki was one of my favorite movies from that director. Kwaiden is quite good, probably my favorite of the bunch and certainly different from the rest.
You should have joined!

MovieGal 07-01-20 07:43 PM

@pahaK

I read about you movie and it seems right up my way. Its on Amazon prime video too.

rauldc14 07-01-20 07:43 PM

He doesnt like rewatches

cricket 07-01-20 08:08 PM

The strange thing is that I love the idea of fantasy but I just have a hard time getting into it.

Wyldesyde19 07-01-20 08:34 PM

Back from my fishing trip! I caught nothing 🙁
Came back with 4 fish, however that my companions caught. 4 decent sized Spanish Mackerel. Usually we come back with 15-20 fish of different *species. Mahi Mahi, Coby, Wahoo and the occasional tuna. *But anyways, the nominees:
*Not mominees*

Kwaidan- Siddon always has the most Interesting nominees. I loved his Le Corbeau in the film noir HOF. Add to the fact I have been wanting to see this for so long, well....I’m excited.

Donkey Skin*- the only film I haven’t heard of. Although I have heard of the director. Really interested in this, as I’m familiar with the tale of the girl in the donkey skin
Excalibur watched this in school for some reason. Before I got really into movies. Don’t remember much. Been meaning to rewatch this. Helen Mirren 😍

Dragonslayer*- my pick. Really great film, and also available on Amazon Prime.

The Dark Crystal*- considered this one but decided against it. *Always liked it from my childhood. Own it, so it’ll be easy to watch 🙂

Kiki's Delivery Service*- Been considering watching this for awhile. Just haven’t prioritized it, even though I’m a fan of Hayazaki.

DragonHeart*- Saw this in theatre. Saw it again a few years ago and didn’t quite like it. Will rewatch it.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring*- Saw this in theatre. Really enjoyed it. Brother owns it. Been meaning to rewatch it for awhile now

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King*-
Also seen it in the theatres. While in Arizona on a bus trip to visit my sisters family. The best of the series, even if the ending does drag.
Tideland*- Big fan of Terry Gilliam. I may have been heard of this. It looks familiar When I looked it up but only vaguely. Either way, interesting pick.
Looking forward to this journey we shall undertake together.
🙂

Citizen Rules 07-01-20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104793)
Back from my fishing trip! I caught nothing 🙁
Came back with 4 fish, however that my companions caught. 4 decent sized Spanish Mackerel. Usually we come back with 15-20 fish of different *species. Mahi Mahi, Coby, Wahoo and the occasional tuna.
🙂
Were is it that you went fishing? Are you on vacation right now in some tropical land:)

Citizen Rules 07-01-20 09:04 PM

@ahwell or anyone...

Does anyone have a link for Kiki's Delivery Service / Majo no takkyubin that's in Japanese? All I could find was English dubs, which is probably fine but if anyone has a link in Japanese, let me know.

Wyldesyde19 07-01-20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104800)
Were is it that you went fishing? Are you on vacation right now in some tropical land:)
Outer Banks of North Carolina 🙂

MovieGal 07-01-20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104802)
@ahwell or anyone...

Do you have a link for Kiki's Delivery Service / Majo no takkyubin that's in Japanese? All I could find was English dubs, which is probably fine but if anyone has a link in Japanese, let me know.
I only use valid sites, netflix, hulu, prime, criterion channel, hoopla, the other library streaming site. have you checked Vimeo?

Citizen Rules 07-01-20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2104804)
I only use valid sites, netflix, hulu, prime, criterion channel, hoopla, the other library streaming site. have you checked Vimeo?
Vimeo, I looked there and it's like Dailymotion mostly just clips from the movie.

edarsenal 07-01-20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2104803)
Outer Banks of North Carolina 🙂
Love that lil strip of land. Quite beautiful - but OH LORD when the storms come a-brewin. . . look out!

Wyldesyde19 07-01-20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2104823)
Love that lil strip of land. Quite beautiful - but OH LORD when the storms come a-brewin. . . look out!
Yeah, had a bad one there back in 2008. Have one coming through right now as well

MovieGal 07-01-20 11:14 PM

I just finished one of the nominees.. I will give a bit of a rating and review later in the week. Perhaps I may watch it again.... before I do.

gbgoodies 07-02-20 01:00 AM

After reading the nominations, I decided not to join, but I'll probably watch some of the movies and follow alongside the thread. These are my thoughts about the nominations:

I think saw Excalibur a long time ago, but I don't remember anything about it. I have it on DVD, so I'll probably watch it.

I saw Dragonslayer back when it was in the movie theaters, but the only thing that I remember about it is that I went with my mother, and it was a sold out showing, so we had seats in the very first row, and by the time the movie was over, we both had stiff necks. I'll probably rewatch this movie too.

I've seen The Dark Crystal a couple of times, but again, not recently, so I don't remember much about it. This is another movie that I have on DVD, so I'll probably rewatch this movie too.

I've seen several Miyazaki movies, but to be honest, they tend to blend together in my mind, so I'm not sure if Kiki's Delivery Service is one of his movies that I've seen. I usually like his movies, so I'll likely watch this movie too.

I've heard of DragonHeart, but I've never seen it. I might watch this movie too.

I have all of the Lord of the Rings movies on DVD, but I only watched them once, and that was back when I bought the DVDs. I might rewatch The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, but only if I have the time to watch the whole trilogy.

I've never heard of Kwaidan, Donkey Skin, and Tideland, so I'll have to read a little bit about them before deciding whether or not to watch them.

gbgoodies 07-02-20 01:04 AM

Just a quick note about why I decided not to join:

To be honest, before I started looking through IMDB's lists of fantasy movies, I expected all of the nominations to be basically sword and sorcery, witches and wizards, dragons, etc. But as I looked through IMDB's fantasy lists, I realized that there's a lot more to fantasy than that. I had a list of potential noms that included movies like Miracle in the Rain (1956), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), The Enchanted Cottage (1945), Somewhere in Time (1980), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), The Time Traveler's Wife (2009), and One Touch of Venus (1948).

I was hoping when the nominations were revealed, there would be a nice mix of different types of fantasy movies, not just all sword and sorcery type of stuff, but it looks like most people had the same idea of what a fantasy movie is, so the noms seem to be a bunch of similar style of movies.

gbgoodies 07-02-20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2104616)
Excalibur: Haven't seen this for decades. I do remember getting a kick out of Merlin in this. The line, "Follow your nose!" still sticks with me.

Toucan Sam is in the movie Excalibur? :lol:

Citizen Rules 07-02-20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2104842)
Just a quick note about why I decided not to join:

To be honest, before I started looking through IMDB's lists of fantasy movies, I expected all of the nominations to be basically sword and sorcery, witches and wizards, dragons, etc. But as I looked through IMDB's fantasy lists, I realized that there's a lot more to fantasy than that. I had a list of potential noms that included movies like Miracle in the Rain (1956), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), The Enchanted Cottage (1945), Somewhere in Time (1980), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), The Time Traveler's Wife (2009), and One Touch of Venus (1948).

I was hoping when the nominations were revealed, there would be a nice mix of different types of fantasy movies, not just all sword and sorcery type of stuff, but it looks like most people had the same idea of what a fantasy movie is, so the noms seem to be a bunch of similar style of movies.
You should join, then you could nominate something different...I think we have a great selection including: a French fairy tale musical, a charming Miyazaki anime, a Terry Gilliam darker psychological film, a classic period Japanese folk tale, and yes some good ole sword and sorcery flicks! You could help add to the mix with one of your unique choices (some of which I had also considered).

Siddon 07-02-20 05:00 AM

Yeah I was a little surprised that nobody took Wonka, Wizard of Oz, or any of the Harry Potter films (Goblet of Fire would have been very interesting to see the reaction) but it's a good group.

Citizen Rules 07-02-20 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65761
Kiki's Delivery Service (Miyazaki, 1989)

My third Miyazaki and I liked it! I found the style of story telling refreshingly un-adversarial when compared to a typical Disney animation story. I appreciated that the film focuses more on the personal tale of a 13 year old girl as she tries to make her way in a new city, as a young witch. Had this been a Disney film her journey would've been fraught with dangerous perils as she overcame huge obstacles, fighting for her life, to finally triumph in the end. But what I loved about this was that Kiki's obstacles were of a smaller nature and the type she might have actually encountered in her delivery business.

I liked the way the story handles the cat being left with a dullard boy and a big dog, in lieu of the stuff cat toy which was lost in the woods. I really expected to see the poor cat tormented mercilessly by the boy and the big dog, an American film would've done just that..and that would've made me cringe. But here that scene reinforces the gentle, nurturing message of the film...The boy might be a brat but he doesn't hurt the cat and the old dog is so sweet that once he discovers the cat toy is real, he curls up next to it and protects it. Loved that scene and I loved how the people Kiki meets cares enough to help her.

I watched this in English dub and I'm glad I did. I knew the cat's voice was very familiar and I had thought it sounded like Phil Hartman but I was surprised to see during the end credits, that I was right. Though I had no clue that Kiki was voiced by Kirsten Dunst and one of the old ladies was by Debbie Reynolds.

A very cool nom, thank you ahwell for choosing this one.

ahwell 07-02-20 01:25 PM

Look, you've probably gotten tired of hearing my talk about my aspirations to be a composer (and my dream to be a film score composer). I've brought up my passion for music, my absolute awe of people who just can create, and how I hope to move forward in my life.

Well, here's the part where I tell you I haven't written a half-decent piece of music in months. Maybe I never have written a half-decent piece of music, and I'm only just realizing that now. Then again, that's a pessimist attitude, and I'm only ever going to get better if I tell myself I can actually do it. But the fact is, I've been scaring myself lately with how little motivation, how little inspiration I'm finding. Maybe it's the quarantine? Maybe it's all the other crazy **** going on in the world? Maybe it's that I feel alone and isolated, even when I know there's nothing I can do about it?

Maybe they're all whiny excuses and I'm just getting lazy. But either way, I found myself dreading composing, dreading sitting down and thinking of original ideas. Because the next day, I'd play through those "original ideas" and realize they're either ****, or they've been used and I unconsciously was stealing music from other composers.

God Damnit. What the hell is my passion if it's not music? If I can't do this for fun, can I do it for a living? I was - I am - SO frustrated. I guess this is just a petty hobby, isn't it? Months and months of getting nothing accomplished, hell, if I'm going to apply for a School of Music at the college I want to go to, the requirement is links to three compositions you've written, God knows that ain't close to being done.

So, what do I need right now? Whiplash? Ha. Amadeus? Lol. La La Land? I mean, that actually may have been a good option, but what I went with was a movie I'd only seen once before, yet already felt such an intense connection to - Kiki's Delivery Service.

There are some people that watch movies for pure entertainment - that is entirely awesome, and sometimes I wish I could just sit back and let a movie be... a movie. But then again, watching Kiki's Delivery Service, I'm so glad that I can sometimes let a movie take control of me. I'm so glad I find myself influenced and inspired by the host of amazing movies I watch. When Kiki comes and stays at Ursula's cabin for a couple days, I am at the cabin. When Ursula is telling Kiki how she deals with artist's block, she is talking to me. It's all in my head, but when a movie feels like it can be made for me, and just me (as selfish as that sounds), I know it's a part of me.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. This morning, I got up, and not only felt better, but felt motivated. I put away my laptop (where I usually write compositions), and pulled out an old fashioned staff of music. I sat down at the piano, and just let all the feelings and emotions and message of Kiki's Delivery Service wash over me. I was flying. I played a melody. It was fine. I played it again, it was better. I was tweaking it, I was developing it, I was writing it down and erasing and changing and creating. It felt so, so, so good to have a purpose like that. The piece I started writing is far from perfect, at this point far from good. But it has got something that none of my attempts had from the past couple months - a personal meaning.

Of course, like Kiki's, my life will fluctuate and change, go down and up. We are never the same every day, and maybe tomorrow this time I'll be moody and depressed again. But at least I can go to bed tonight telling myself I've done something with my life, however little. Perhaps Kiki felt the same the day after she saved Tombo.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Kiki's Delivery Service reminds me not only of how much I need movies in my life, but of why I love what I love, why I do what I do. There are few movies out there that have more power to me. And to say that I was inspired enough from a movie to create something of my own is about the highest praise I can give it.

+

CosmicRunaway 07-02-20 02:37 PM

Given we already have 2 reviews for Kiki's Delivery Service up, I'll probably start with that one... once I actually write something for The Dark Crystal that is haha.

pahaK 07-02-20 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tideland (2005)

One of Terry Gilliam's more controversial movies dives into a deep end of the dysfunctional childhood's murky pool. Jeliza-Rose is a nine-year-old daughter of two junkies who ends up living on her own at her grandma's (who died before she was born) abandoned house. Things don't necessarily turn for the better when she meets the disturbingly odd neighbors.

You're a real stinker.

Tideland is primarily about a child with a vivid imagination trying to make sense of the world on her own. With her father's obsession with the Norse legends and his drug-driven escapes into the dream world, she was never firmly rooted in reality. Her Jutland is the Wonderland where Alice fell through a rabbit hole, and her guiding spirits (and only friends) are the four doll-heads. No wonder her world seems a little off.

As someone who's always been more interested in imaginary worlds than this grey reality, I find it easy to both understand and sympathize with Jeliza-Rose. Her imagination filters the story that's shown to the viewer, making it an untrustworthy depiction of events. Can we trust that she's telling us the truth? Or maybe it's her truth, but does it match the more commonly accepted reality? And most importantly, does it matter? It's her story, so it's her truth (or fantasy) that counts.

I think Gilliam succeeds in showing things through a child's (a sort of special child's that is) perspective. Regardless of the disturbing events, there's always an atmosphere of innocence. Even death and the curiosity towards sex is rooted in the childish perceptions of the adult world (it helps that Dickens is also practically a child in a more mature body - one could even argue that Jeliza-Rose is just using the sex as a weapon). All this is made possible by the brilliant performances by Jodelle Ferland and Brendan Fletcher.

In addition to the obvious Alice in Wonderland references, I saw two major influences in this film; The Reflecting Skin and Poison for the Fairies (both of which I happen to love, so it's no wonder I enjoyed this one as well). It's visually gorgeous (like Gilliam's films usually are), and the combination of childish innocence, disturbing events, escapism, and adaptation creates quite a unique blend. One of the better Gilliam films, in my opinion, but sadly the public has largely forgotten it.

CosmicRunaway 07-02-20 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65767

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Starring: Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, Percy Edwards

The plot of The Dark Crystal is kept simple enough for children to understand, but since it does not talk down to its target audience or shy away from grim visuals and an occasionally bleak tone, it's still suitable for older viewers as well. Henson reportedly believed that it was healthy for children to experience some fear, and I can attest that this film terrified me when I was younger. I had seen part of it at home, and actually dreaded the fact that we later had to watch it in school. However seeing the film in its entirely wasn't a frightening experience after all, and I was instead impressed by its elegance and beauty.

The production design of The Dark Crystal is simply outstanding. It is a highly imaginative film with fantastic visuals. The mix of real locations, matte paintings, and a frankly ridiculous amount of props and puppets create a magical, alien world that is a treat to witness. Revisiting the film as an adult left a different kind of impact on me, because the sheer amount of work that went into bringing Thra and its denizens to life is nearly unfathomable. The elaborate nature of these creatures meant that many of the costumes were incredibly heavy and difficult for the performers to manoeuvre properly, making this film a genuine labour of love by those involved.

Thanks to state of the art animatronics, the practical effects still hold up now, 38 years after its original release. Unfortunately the computer generated effects used during the story's climax are very dated, though in a way they kind of add their own kind of charm as well. If there was just one thing I could change, it would be the texture of Jen's face. Even as a child I've maintained that his skin looks too unnatural and obviously fake. While it has has some other flaws, particularly when it comes to its pacing, everything about this film generates a feeling of nostalgia for me, so rewatching it again was a pleasant experience.

CosmicRunaway 07-02-20 04:26 PM

It's only been a little over a day since the reveal, and we already have 4 reviews up. Nice work! :up:

MovieGal 07-02-20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2105006)
It's only been a little over a day since the reveal, and we already have 4 reviews up. Nice work! :up:
I watched one...just haven't written a review but I have mixed feelings and want to rewatch.

edarsenal 07-02-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2104844)
Toucan Sam is in the movie Excalibur? :lol:
LOL
yeah, he is. ANNND Merlin's owl has a serious Tootsie Pop sucker addiction. He just can't go past three licks before biting ;)

edarsenal 07-02-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2104999)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65767

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Starring: Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, Percy Edwards

The plot of The Dark Crystal is kept simple enough for children to understand, but since it does not talk down to its target audience or shy away from grim visuals and an occasionally bleak tone, it's still suitable for older viewers as well. Henson reportedly believed that it was healthy for children to experience some fear, and I can attest that this film terrified me when I was younger. I had seen part of it at home, and actually dreaded the fact that we later had to watch it in school. However seeing the film in its entirely wasn't a frightening experience after all, and I was instead impressed by its elegance and beauty.

The production design of The Dark Crystal is simply outstanding. It is a highly imaginative film with fantastic visuals. The mix of real locations, matte paintings, and a frankly ridiculous amount of props and puppets create a magical, alien world that is a treat to witness. Revisiting the film as an adult left a different kind of impact on me, because the sheer amount of work that went into bringing Thra and its denizens to life is nearly unfathomable. The elaborate nature of these creatures meant that many of the costumes were incredibly heavy and difficult for the performers to manoeuvre properly, making this film a genuine labour of love by those involved.

Thanks to state of the art animatronics, the practical effects still hold up now, 38 years after its original release. Unfortunately the computer generated effects used during the story's climax are very dated, though in a way they kind of add their own kind of charm as well. If there was just one thing I could change, it would be the texture of Jen's face. Even as a child I've maintained that his skin looks too unnatural and obviously fake. While it has has some other flaws, particularly when it comes to its pacing, everything about this film generates a feeling of nostalgia for me, so rewatching it again was a pleasant experience.

I felt the same when rewatching this a short while back. A lot of the things I appreciate now I sort of shrugged my shoulders to as a teenager when I saw this at the theater. Looking forward to seeing this again.

edarsenal 07-02-20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2104960)

Look, you've probably gotten tired of hearing my talk about my aspirations to be a composer (and my dream to be a film score composer). I've brought up my passion for music, my absolute awe of people who just can create, and how I hope to move forward in my life.

Well, here's the part where I tell you I haven't written a half-decent piece of music in months. Maybe I never have written a half-decent piece of music, and I'm only just realizing that now. Then again, that's a pessimist attitude, and I'm only ever going to get better if I tell myself I can actually do it. But the fact is, I've been scaring myself lately with how little motivation, how little inspiration I'm finding. Maybe it's the quarantine? Maybe it's all the other crazy **** going on in the world? Maybe it's that I feel alone and isolated, even when I know there's nothing I can do about it?

Maybe they're all whiny excuses and I'm just getting lazy. But either way, I found myself dreading composing, dreading sitting down and thinking of original ideas. Because the next day, I'd play through those "original ideas" and realize they're either ****, or they've been used and I unconsciously was stealing music from other composers.

God Damnit. What the hell is my passion if it's not music? If I can't do this for fun, can I do it for a living? I was - I am - SO frustrated. I guess this is just a petty hobby, isn't it? Months and months of getting nothing accomplished, hell, if I'm going to apply for a School of Music at the college I want to go to, the requirement is links to three compositions you've written, God knows that ain't close to being done.

So, what do I need right now? Whiplash? Ha. Amadeus? Lol. La La Land? I mean, that actually may have been a good option, but what I went with was a movie I'd only seen once before, yet already felt such an intense connection to - Kiki's Delivery Service.

There are some people that watch movies for pure entertainment - that is entirely awesome, and sometimes I wish I could just sit back and let a movie be... a movie. But then again, watching Kiki's Delivery Service, I'm so glad that I can sometimes let a movie take control of me. I'm so glad I find myself influenced and inspired by the host of amazing movies I watch. When Kiki comes and stays at Ursula's cabin for a couple days, I am at the cabin. When Ursula is telling Kiki how she deals with artist's block, she is talking to me. It's all in my head, but when a movie feels like it can be made for me, and just me (as selfish as that sounds), I know it's a part of me.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. This morning, I got up, and not only felt better, but felt motivated. I put away my laptop (where I usually write compositions), and pulled out an old fashioned staff of music. I sat down at the piano, and just let all the feelings and emotions and message of Kiki's Delivery Service wash over me. I was flying. I played a melody. It was fine. I played it again, it was better. I was tweaking it, I was developing it, I was writing it down and erasing and changing and creating. It felt so, so, so good to have a purpose like that. The piece I started writing is far from perfect, at this point far from good. But it has got something that none of my attempts had from the past couple months - a personal meaning.

Of course, like Kiki's, my life will fluctuate and change, go down and up. We are never the same every day, and maybe tomorrow this time I'll be moody and depressed again. But at least I can go to bed tonight telling myself I've done something with my life, however little. Perhaps Kiki felt the same the day after she saved Tombo.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Kiki's Delivery Service reminds me not only of how much I need movies in my life, but of why I love what I love, why I do what I do. There are few movies out there that have more power to me. And to say that I was inspired enough from a movie to create something of my own is about the highest praise I can give it.
I have, on quite a number of instances found inspiration through a film experience. I do this constantly regarding artwork when watching anime. It's a beautiful, beautiful situation. VERY happy to hear you had such instance, ahwell.

MovieGal 07-02-20 07:58 PM

@CosmicRunaway

I took my friend's daughters to see it in the theatre around 3 years ago. Their father thought it would be a good experience for the girls. Eva was about 11 yrs old and Dulcie was 9. They thought The Dark Crystal was scary. My own daughter watched it since she was 3 yrs old and at that time she was 24 yrs old. I told what Eva and Dulcie said, she was like "Mom it was scary but you made me watch it with you "

MovieGal 07-02-20 10:02 PM

So I got all my streaming/dvd ready. Kwaidan and Donkey Skin will probably be my last views. I am going to subscribe to Criterion Channel for $10,99 a month.

I bought DVDs for Kiki's and Excalibur used dvd.

I found a lot on here for streaming or cheaper than the DVDs.

This site will tell you where you can stream or rent to stream.

https://www.justwatch.com/

Citizen Rules 07-02-20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2104977)
Tideland (2005)
Her imagination filters the story that's shown to the viewer, making it an untrustworthy depiction of events. Can we trust that she's telling us the truth? Or maybe it's her truth, but does it match the more commonly accepted reality? And most importantly, does it matter? It's her story, so it's her truth (or fantasy) that counts.
I decided to read the reviews before I see the movies, as sometimes insight into a film helps me to appreciate the it more when I watch it...And what you said about Tideland showing the girls truth, as opposed to just showing what happens, helps me to be prepared for when I get confused:p Though I've seen a couple of Terry Gilliam's films and I should already be expecting the unexpected!

As someone who's always been more interested in imaginary worlds than this grey reality, I find it easy to both understand and sympathize with Jeliza-Rose.
Glad you wrote that as it helps me to better understand your relationship with movies. Slowly I'm learning what everyone likes and more importantly why....

BTW have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), I almost nominated that and I think you'd like it.

pahaK 07-02-20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105089)
And what you said about Tideland showing the girls truth, as opposed to just showing what happens, helps me to be prepared for when I get confused:p
That's my interpretation, at least.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105089)
BTW have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), I almost nominated that and I think you'd like it.
Never even heard of it, but after checking IMDb it looks potentially interesting.

Citizen Rules 07-02-20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2105094)
That's my interpretation, at least.

Never even heard of it, but after checking IMDb it looks potentially interesting.
Beast of the Southern Wild certainly has a dark vibe to it, despite the movie poster which might make it look more lighter in content.

gbgoodies 07-03-20 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2104848)
You should join, then you could nominate something different...I think we have a great selection including: a French fairy tale musical, a charming Miyazaki anime, a Terry Gilliam darker psychological film, a classic period Japanese folk tale, and yes some good ole sword and sorcery flicks! You could help add to the mix with one of your unique choices (some of which I had also considered).

I'll think about it for a day or two, but I was hoping for more variety in the noms.

gbgoodies 07-03-20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2104862)
Yeah I was a little surprised that nobody took Wonka, Wizard of Oz, or any of the Harry Potter films (Goblet of Fire would have been very interesting to see the reaction) but it's a good group.

I think The Wizard of Oz was already nominated in a HoF, but it didn't win. I usually try to nominate movies that haven't been nominated in a previous HoF.

I'm pretty sure that it's my fault that none of the Harry Potter films were nominated. I went to the trouble of digging out my HP DVDs just in case they were nominated. If I left them alone, there probably would have been 2 or 3 of them nominated. ;)

gbgoodies 07-03-20 02:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989):
This was a very enjoyable movie, but as the movie went on, I found Kiki was getting a bit annoying. I couldn't understand why she was so rude to Tombo. He clearly liked her, but she treated him like he was a monster. She treated adults nice, but she was just nasty to the kids in the movie. It's not surprising that she couldn't make friends in her new town.

I liked her cat, especially when he recognized himself on the mug and in the stuffed animal. But how did he hang on to the flying broom without falling off? :confused:

I enjoyed the movie, and I liked that this was a unique "coming of age" story, but there were little things about it that bothered me. For example, why weren't the townspeople surprised that she was a witch? Are witches common in their town? (She seemed to be the only one there.) And why did she lose her witch powers? Was it just that she lost confidence in herself? Unless I missed it, that wasn't explained in the movie.

And one last thing. Did Tombo remind anyone else of Curious George when he looks through binoculars? :lol:

ahwell 07-03-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2105115)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989):
This was a very enjoyable movie, but as the movie went on, I found Kiki was getting a bit annoying. I couldn't understand why she was so rude to Tombo. He clearly liked her, but she treated him like he was a monster. She treated adults nice, but she was just nasty to the kids in the movie. It's not surprising that she couldn't make friends in her new town.

I liked her cat, especially when he recognized himself on the mug and in the stuffed animal. But how did he hang on to the flying broom without falling off? :confused:

I enjoyed the movie, and I liked that this was a unique "coming of age" story, but there were little things about it that bothered me. For example, why weren't the townspeople surprised that she was a witch? Are witches common in their town? (She seemed to be the only one there.) And why did she lose her witch powers? Was it just that she lost confidence in herself? Unless I missed it, that wasn't explained in the movie.

And one last thing. Did Tombo remind anyone else of Curious George when he looks through binoculars? :lol:

To me, the reason she didn’t like Tombo is because much of this movie is about “old vs new”. Aka how Kiki helps bake bread in the older oven when the newer one stops working. And even though she has magical powers she was raised in a more traditional and rural setting. Thus, she’s probably grown up with the notion of traditionalism and seeing Tombo run after her without being “proper” just makes her upset. Or she could be quite literally just nervous, since many times Miyazaki lets us interpret for ourselves what exactly a character is feeling.

To answer your other questions: I think it’s implied that this is a world/universe where witches are seen as “rare” but people know they exist. They’ll still be shocked to see one at first but after a while they’d get settled in. I also believe the movie explained that Kiki was the first witch in town for a while, and that each witch finds their own “town”. Why she lost her witch powers is yet another thing that I love about this movie: it’s not made obvious or completely explained, but that’s sometimes how life is. We lose our motivation and our passion for whatever reason and have to find some inspiration to bring it back.

Citizen Rules 07-03-20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2105156)
To me, the reason she didn’t like Tombo is because much of this movie is about “old vs new”. Aka how Kiki helps bake bread in the older oven when the newer one stops working. And even though she has magical powers she was raised in a more traditional and rural setting. Thus, she’s probably grown up with the notion of traditionalism and seeing Tombo run after her without being “proper” just makes her upset.
Agreed. Kiki does say to Tombo when he first tries to talk to her, that it's rude of him to address her without them being properly introduced. This is a Japanese film from 30 years ago and reflects their culture. Come to think of it I've seen the same scene done many times in old American movies where a woman is approached by a brash man and indignantly rebuffs him with the reason that 'they haven't been properly introduced yet'. But the real reason is from a production stand point it creates a chance for comic tension with the pay off at the end that the couple will get together. I'm sure Cary Grant was rebuffed by some leading lady in a movie the same way:D

To answer your other questions: I think it’s implied that this is a world/universe where witches are seen as “rare” but people know they exist. They’ll still be shocked to see one at first but after a while they’d get settled in. I also believe the movie explained that Kiki was the first witch in town for a while, and that each witch finds their own “town”.
Yup, that's how I took it too. Witches were known, they were never feared and in fact they're admired. Which I though was cool!

Why she lost her witch powers is yet another thing that I love about this movie: it’s not made obvious or completely explained, but that’s sometimes how life is. We lose our motivation and our passion for whatever reason and have to find some inspiration to bring it back.
:up: that's how I took it to be.

Did both of you watch this in English dub or in Japanese with subs? I think it can make a big difference in how one responds to the film.

Citizen Rules 07-03-20 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=65790
The Dark Crystal (1982)

I believe it helps to have grown up with The Dark Crystal to be a solid fan of the movie. For myself, I'd never seen it until now.

While I was amazed at the sheer amount of intricate detail and artistry that went into the production, I just couldn't buy into the story. It was clear to me that a lot of the film was based on the puppetry creative skills of Jim Henson, whilst the storytelling itself was threadbare.

The first scene where the narrator explains the world of the dark crystal, went on and on. I found myself thinking, yes we get it, please start the movie...I had to laugh at the bad guys, the Skesis, when the two would-be emperors battled for the control of their evil clan. They had these nasty looking swords but what did they do with them? they fought a large rock! But then the defeated Skesis had to pay the price. Surly I thought he was to be killed, but no, they merely undressed him and sent him outside...BUT I then reminded myself that this was made for children and so judging it by adult movie standards wasn't fair. And in that vein I could see how children and teens could've loved this film back in the day.

I did enjoy the film once the Gelfing Jen went on his adventure. I dug the house with the one eyed goat lady and the big planetarium device, very cool set. And I flat out loved the forest sets! and the swamp too! My eyes darted around trying to capture all the uniqueness of the fauna and life that was there. That scene did environmental world building so well, what a joy to see...and that's where Jim Henson's talent truly shined.

ahwell 07-03-20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105214)
Did both of you watch this in English dub or in Japanese with subs? I think it can make a big difference in how one responds to the film.
I’ve seen both versions. I like the Japanese a bit more but I can still really enjoy either. You’re right though that it can make a big difference.

Citizen Rules 07-03-20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2105233)
I’ve seen both versions. I like the Japanese a bit more but I can still really enjoy either. You’re right though that it can make a big difference.
I bet GBG seen the English version, that's what I watched. I did however see bits of the Japanese version and the voice of Kiki was done with more polite shyness and charm. She might have had a different reaction had she seen that version.

MovieGal 07-03-20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105232)
SkekSil the Chamberlain is my favorite character...
https://images.immediate.co.uk/produ...resize=620,413

I even have this crystal bust of him

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/...rkcrystal1.jpg

and all I can say is I wish I had a lot of money to randomly spend

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Searc...t=dark+crystal

CosmicRunaway 07-03-20 04:49 PM

Just watched Kiki's Delivery Service, but it'll probably be tomorrow evening or the next day before I write anything about it. I'll just say for now that it is one of the best Ghibli films I've seen. It makes me wonder if I should give Totoro a chance as well, since that's the other big Miyazaki fan favourite I haven't watched.

CosmicRunaway 07-03-20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2105271)

The detail on those statues is fantastic. But yeah, you'd need a fair bit of disposable income to buy a few of those.

ahwell 07-03-20 07:03 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/91UCpJti1XkB2/source.gif
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)[/center]

I will admit that I actually expected to like The Return of the King the least out of the three movies. Because throughout the series, the moments and scenes that stick with me the most were the intimate character interactions; Sam and Frodo; Aragorn and Arwen; Legolas and Gimli even, in some ways. The scenes where both characters feel so much hurt, and they can only look to one person to share their pain. In short, I expected The Return of the King to be heavy on the "epic battle" side of things and not so much on Frodo and Sam pouring their feelings out to each other.

Well, I was wrong. The Return of the King is somehow both the most intimate and epic of the three films. It does not rush slower moments. It does not make fast moments drag. It makes us hold our breaths and literally pray while Frodo and Sam (and Gollum) reach the top of that mountain. I'm not kidding when I say there are few scenes in film history that are more emotionally complex than Frodo, Sam, and Gollum on the mountain. Ok, maybe quite a few, but still, that's more a testament to the amount of amazingly crafted films and less an understatement of how perfect this film is.

Every character is not only "wrapped up", but they are given new adventures and choices. The story doesn't end here. We're left wanting so much more, but in the best way possible; we're left caring about the characters and what they do. What did Frodo see in his journey? How is Sam doing in the Shire? What about Aragorn? All of these people I have come to care so much about, and even though I don't want a sequel, I love each character to death.

So here is how to get a film series right. Truly - the music is exceptional, perhaps my favorite film score of all time; the cinematography is gorgeous; there are scenes where I'm left wondering how on earth Peter Jackson did it. It's filmmaking of the highest order - completely and utterly perfect in it's imperfections. It made me cry at least five times in the last forty minutes. It made my heart throb, first with pain, and then with immense joy.

In short, ****ing thank god we have Lord of the Rings. Even if this was my first time watching the final movie, it's an experience to last a lifetime.

+

CosmicRunaway 07-03-20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2105328)
I had still not seen the movies - instead, my orchestra teacher played for us a little clip of the Howard Shore's magnificent score for the series. It was magical, breath taking music. I later remember sitting for hours and playing through the entire 4-hour YouTube video, absolutely taken to this magical fantasy world.
The Rohirrim theme is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time. The violins never fail to give me chills. It's a shame that The Two Towers is not as well regarded as Fellowship and RotK, because that music alone is worth watching the film for.

Citizen Rules 07-03-20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2105271)
SkekSil the Chamberlain is my favorite character...
https://images.immediate.co.uk/produ...resize=620,413

I even have this crystal bust of him

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/...rkcrystal1.jpg

OMG those are expensive...BTW, What's the top photo from?

MovieGal 07-03-20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105353)
OMG those are expensive...BTW, What's the top photo from?
Its a picture from the movie of Chamberlain.

Citizen Rules 07-03-20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2105362)
Its a picture from the movie of Chamberlain.
A movie called Chamberlain? I looked at IMDB and didn't see anything like that. I know who the character is, but the image is more detailed than the puppet I seen in the movie last night. So I wondered if that was fan art?

gbgoodies 07-04-20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105214)

I watched the English dub.

gbgoodies 07-04-20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105234)
I bet GBG seen the English version, that's what I watched. I did however see bits of the Japanese version and the voice of Kiki was done with more polite shyness and charm. She might have had a different reaction had she seen that version.

I only watch the subtitles version if I can't find the dubbed version. I hate reading subtitles. It takes my attention away from the movie itself, and I find that I miss things and have to rewind occasionally.

CosmicRunaway 07-04-20 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105363)
A movie called Chamberlain? I looked at IMDB and didn't see anything like that. I know who the character is, but the image is more detailed than the puppet I seen in the movie last night. So I wondered if that was fan art?
It is actually a puppet. It looks more detailed because it's from The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series on Netflix that just came out last year.

MovieGal 07-04-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2105363)
No I dont think so.. yes.. Chamberlain is the character from The Dark Crystal.

MovieGal 07-04-20 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2105413)
It is actually a puppet. It looks more detailed because it's from The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series on Netflix that just came out last year.
I started that on Netflix but I couldn't get over the "love relationship" between the two characters... Jen and Kira.. they had a relationship in the Dark Crystal but it wasn't as heavy as the new show.

did you ever see the series, The Jim Henson Creature Shop? They had one that was where the contestants had to create Skeksis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeANZXq4cw

Im glad Brian Henson gives Brian Froud credit for creating them.