Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What Is The Last DVD You WATCHED? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=15627)

Swan 09-03-08 07:28 PM

Re: What Is The Last DVD You WATCHED?

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 459298)
I Saw It On It's Own, I Sadly Missed It In Theaters. I Think Death Proof Was Much Better Than Planet Terror, It Had More Story And Was Less Stupid Than Planet Terror. Both The Kill Bill's Are In My Top 10, So I Think It's Obvious I Prefer Those More, But I Still Love Death Proof. But None Of Them Can Beat Pulp Fiction.
Planet Terror is so much better than Death Proof it's not even funny. ;)

Sawman3 09-03-08 07:38 PM

Not great, but a fun ride overall.

MovieMan8877445 09-03-08 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 459303)
Planet Terror is so much better than Death Proof it's not even funny. ;)
Planet Terror Was A Movie I Could Watch More, Because It's Really Just A Fun Movie. Death Proof Was The Movie With The Better Acting And Better Story, Death Proof Was The Better Made Movie.

Swan 09-03-08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 459308)
Planet Terror Was A Movie I Could Watch More, Because It's Really Just A Fun Movie. Death Proof Was The Movie With The Better Acting And Better Story, Death Proof Was The Better Made Movie.
No, I think Planet Terror had a better story, and better acting (for what it's worth, anyways). Death Proof is only good for the second half - which then I could agree with you was a brilliantly made film. But overall, Planet Terror was better, in my opinion.

MovieMan8877445 09-03-08 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 459310)
No, I think Planet Terror had a better story, and better acting (for what it's worth, anyways). Death Proof is only good for the second half - which then I could agree with you was a brilliantly made film. But overall, Planet Terror was better, in my opinion.
Well I Guess We Have Different Opinions About It Then, But Planet Terror, Once Again, Was Really Only Made To Be A Fun Movie, You Could Tell That By Watching It. Death Proof Wasn't Made Just To Be A Fun Movie, But A Serious Movie, But I Can See Why Because Tarantino Really Only Makes Serious Movies.

n3wt 09-03-08 07:50 PM

Death Proof is a good film but for me there was so much talking and not much action for most of the film, then once the first half was over it started again and went on for just as long.

Yes it was a good film and the car crash scene was amazing and the carchase also but I did find myself quite bored, before the car crash and again with the car chase.

MovieMan8877445 09-03-08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 459313)
Death Proof is a good film but for me there was so much talking and not much action for most of the film, then once the first half was over it started again and went on for just as long.

Yes it was a good film and the car crash scene was amazing and the carchase also but I did find myself quite bored, before the car crash and again with the car chase.
It's A Tarantino Movie, Why Were You Expecting A Lot Of Action? His Movies Actually Really Doesn't Have A Lot Of Action In Them.

n3wt 09-03-08 07:59 PM

It is allot different from his other movies are you telling me there wasnt allot of action is res-dogs? or even Pulp fiction?

Swan 09-03-08 08:02 PM

MovieMan, Death Proof was not meant to be a serious movie. They were both meant to be fun movies. Hence being "Grindhouse-styled".

MovieMan8877445 09-03-08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 459316)
It is allot different from his other movies are you telling me there wasnt allot of action is res-dogs? or even Pulp fiction?
I Didn't Really Think There Was That Much Action In Pulp Fiction, Maybe In Reservoir Dogs. This Was Sorta Like Kill Bill Vol. 1 Where It Mainly Saves Up All The Action Until The End Of The Movie.

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 459318)
MovieMan, Death Proof was not meant to be a serious movie. They were both meant to be fun movies. Hence being "Grindhouse-styled".
Maybe, But I Felt This One Was Meant To Be More Serious, Just The Way It Was Made.

Swan 09-03-08 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 459319)
Maybe, But I Felt This One Was Meant To Be More Serious, Just The Way It Was Made.
Because Planet Terror was a movie about Zombies and stayed grindhouse-styled throughout, while Death Proof was about a killer stunt man and only the first half is actually grindhouse-styled?

Yeah...

honeykid 09-03-08 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 459321)
Because Planet Terror was a movie about Zombies and stayed grindhouse-styled throughout, while Death Proof was about a killer stunt man and only the first half is actually grindhouse-styled?

Yeah...
I agree that Death Proof lost it's 'Grindhouse styling' about halfway through but, IMO, the styling was just a gimmick. The films were grindhouse, the look of the film etc was just from constant (and unprofessional) usage.

Not only is Death Proof the better film IMO, but it's also more like the films it's paying homage to (or ripping off, if you don't like Taratino or the word "homage".) As I like those films, that was one of the big reasons that I prefered Death Proof, its authenticity. You could see that it was made by someone who really knew and loved his subject and then went about recreating those films, adding his own touches, showing what he'd like to see.

As for action, as movieman said, Tarantino films aren't action packed, they're diaglogue packed. Even Kill Bill which, if I remember correctly, had a lot more action in it than his other films was still very dialogue heavy. As for using Reservoir Dogs to argue against this (as someone did, I can't remember who) that's ridiculous. I'm sorry, but it is. With the exception of the heist scenes themselves, there's no action in that film. Putting Res Dogs up as an example of action is like putting 300 up as an example of scriptwriting.

Swan 09-03-08 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 459376)
I agree that Death Proof lost it's 'Grindhouse styling' about halfway through but, IMO, the styling was just a gimmick. The films were grindhouse, the look of the film etc was just from constant (and unprofessional) usage.

Not only is Death Proof the better film IMO, but it's also more like the films it's paying homage to (or ripping off, if you don't like Taratino or the word "homage".) As I like those films, that was one of the big reasons that I prefered Death Proof, its authenticity. You could see that it was made by someone who really knew and loved his subject and then went about recreating those films, adding his own touches, showing what he'd like to see.

As for action, as movieman said, Tarantino films aren't action packed, they're diaglogue packed. Even Kill Bill which, if I remember correctly, had a lot more action in it than his other films was still very dialogue heavy. As for using Reservoir Dogs to argue against this (as someone did, I can't remember who) that's ridiculous. I'm sorry, but it is. With the exception of the heist scenes themselves, there's no action in that film. Putting Res Dogs up as an example of action is like putting 300 up as an example of scriptwriting.
I'm a huge fan of Tarantino. :)

Really, I just didn't like the first half of Death Proof at all. The second half, though, is my favorite part of both Grindhouse films.

mark f 09-03-08 10:53 PM

Did I miss something? There were heist scenes in Reservoir Dogs?

Iroquois 09-03-08 11:07 PM

There are no scenes depicting the actual "heist" in Reservoir Dogs. However, there are two scenes that take place directly after the heist and trail a few of the characters as they make their getaway. In one scene, it's Mr. Pink running from a bunch of cops before eventually hijacking a car and driving off. In the other scene, it has Mr. White, Mr. Orange and Mr. Brown.

In other words, that's your action. But they aren't "heist" scenes at all.

MovieMan8877445 09-04-08 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 459376)

Thank You, Exactly What I Was Trying To Say.

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 459378)
Did I miss something? There were heist scenes in Reservoir Dogs?
Not Really, There Were Two Quick Scenes Of Them Trying To Escape, Iroquois Already Told You Them.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 459380)
There are no scenes depicting the actual "heist" in Reservoir Dogs. However, there are two scenes that take place directly after the heist and trail a few of the characters as they make their getaway. In one scene, it's Mr. Pink running from a bunch of cops before eventually hijacking a car and driving off. In the other scene, it has Mr. White, Mr. Orange and Mr. Brown.

Even Resevoir Dogs Doesn't Even Have That Much Action In It, Those Two Quick Scenes And Maybe The Very Last Scene Are Really The Only 2 Action Scenes In It.

honeykid 09-05-08 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 459380)

Sorry for the confusion. This is, as Iroquois deduced, what I meant.

Swan 09-05-08 12:53 AM

Platoon.

MovieMan8877445 09-05-08 02:23 AM

I Just Got Done Watching American Gangster.

MovieMan8877445 09-06-08 03:57 AM

Saving Private Ryan
American Beauty

n3wt 09-06-08 06:26 AM

What did you think of them after man?

MovieMan8877445 09-06-08 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 460112)
What did you think of them after man?
They're Both Probably Going In My Top 10, I Loved Them. I Wish I Would've Watched Them Sooner.

n3wt 09-06-08 01:54 PM

I love it when you find a great film that you havent seen before! Glad you liked them.

MovieMan8877445 09-06-08 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 460188)
I love it when you find a great film that you havent seen before! Glad you liked them.
So Do I, I Hope To Find Some More Like That.

B-card 09-06-08 06:32 PM

lets see...last I saw Boondock Saints for 3rd time

MovieMan8877445 09-06-08 10:44 PM

Descent Good Movie, But I Do Feel Like It Got A Little Boring In There At Times.

MovieMan8877445 09-07-08 02:20 AM

Platoon, This Is Probably My Favorite War Flick Tied With SPR (I Haven't Decided Which One I Like Better Yet).

Swan 09-07-08 03:11 PM

Full Metal Jacket.

Cyberia 09-07-08 04:29 PM

I am watching Species 4 at present. Been a long time since I saw #3. She has a weird idea of French kissing. The tongue comes out the back of her victim's neck. Nice boobs though.

Earlier I watched an episode of Sharpe. I've seen the series before but worth watching again.

MovieMan8877445 09-07-08 10:06 PM

The Kingdom

MovieMan8877445 09-08-08 11:44 PM

LotR: The Return Of The King

neiltracy 09-19-08 06:13 PM

Just previewed Forgetting Sarah Marshall and laughed throughout... very clever romantic comedy!

Silas 09-19-08 06:56 PM

saw michael clayton today. very good

Sawman3 09-19-08 07:03 PM

Charlie Wilson's War.

Quite good, very enjoyable.

Nightowl 09-26-08 12:33 AM

Speed Racer
the phatomn

Uncle Jay 09-26-08 12:51 AM

Eyes Wide Shut

Cyberia 09-26-08 05:17 PM

The 3 Fantastic Superman, an Italian film from 1967. 2 acrobats and a strong man wearing bullet proof suits fight against a villain who has stolen a universal recreator. I've been looking for it in English for decades. A fun film.

bleacheddecay 09-26-08 06:19 PM

Death at a Funeral

honeykid 09-27-08 12:40 AM

Black Christmas (2006)

Daffodil 09-27-08 02:39 AM

Run Fatboy Run. Just for the laughs. :D

bleacheddecay 09-27-08 11:57 AM

The Music Man as part of an assignment. I found it held some memories for me as well since I've done the play.

Nightowl 10-01-08 01:47 AM

bACK TO THE FUTUER PART1
BACK to the Futuer part 2
BACK TO THE Futuer Part 3

Pyro Tramp 10-01-08 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nightowl (Post 466009)
bACK TO THE FUTUER PART1
BACK to the Futuer part 2
BACK TO THE Futuer Part 3
Get a new keyboard. Or work on hand eye co-ordination. Or brain implant.

The Prestige 10-01-08 12:57 PM

:laugh:

Used Future 10-01-08 03:53 PM

Today I picked all these up in Cash Converters for 2 pounds each:D

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/c/03/0e/19/15_8.JPG http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/newscovers/b/bride.jpg http://www.v6stang.com/bullitt/DVDcover.jpg

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/c/03/0d/b1/0c_8.JPG http://www.timeout.com/film/img/dvd/...cover.w200.jpg http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/c/03/0d/bb/14_8.JPG http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/c/07/a1/51/b4_8.JPG http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/c/01/a2/63/74_8.JPG http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/c/03/0e/04/fe_8.JPG

Used Future 10-01-08 04:01 PM

^ ...and I've just realized I've posted this in the wrong thread, sorry:goof:

flickerboy 10-01-08 06:43 PM

Dan In Real Life. Which is ironic, since my name IS Dan. In real life.

Before that it was Wild Hogs, but I have an excuse for that one - I write a daily movie blog, and this week's been all comedies. However, Wild Hogs was still a disappointment. Travolta's such an ass.

honeykid 10-01-08 10:55 PM

Challenge The Tiger. I've seen it a few times now and it's just mad. It stars Bruce Le (yep, that's just the one 'e' folks) as a CIA agent who, with his James Bond-like partner, fights to regain a stolen formula which terrorists want to sell to the highest bidder. If I mention that the formula would make the human race sterile, I think that you may be able to work out what level of filmmaking we're talking here. But damn, I love it. Besides, what film can't be improved by a scene where a busty lady plays tennis topless. :D

Daffodil 10-06-08 01:02 AM

Sudden Impact. I was told to close my eyes at the rape scenes. :eek:

And the quote under my username is a reference to one of Eastwood's hilarious lines in the movie. :D

honeykid 10-06-08 09:00 PM

Happy Birthday To Me. One of the best stalker/slashers IMO.

Used Future 10-06-08 09:15 PM

http://www.timeout.com/film/img/dvd/...cover.w200.jpg

honeykid 10-08-08 10:56 AM

The Burning. I haven't seen the original Friday The 13th for a good many years but, from memory, I'd say this is better than the film it's imitating.

n3wt 10-08-08 11:13 AM

Men In Black its a very awesome film.

sukesankakusan 10-08-08 08:02 PM

I watched Babel last night.

honeykid 10-08-08 09:09 PM

What did you think of Babel? I've had it on the shelf for ages and have yet to take a look at it.

n3wt 10-09-08 09:45 AM

Men in black 2

Vangar 10-10-08 06:00 AM

Little Nicky :D

Iroquois 10-10-08 10:05 AM

Discs 1 and 2 of South Park: The Complete Second Season. Currently in the process of watching Disc 3.

Nightowl 10-11-08 12:56 AM

monster house
Supermariobrothers

n3wt 10-11-08 06:21 AM

10,000 BC I found it to be a good film but shame there wasnt more dinosaurs.

Sadjenny 10-11-08 04:31 PM

Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros. I enjoyed Amigos more than Caballeros. More cartoons, less ancient travelogue.

honeykid 10-12-08 12:34 AM

Black Friday. An interesting film about the 1993 Bombay terrorist bombing but, while it was interesting I had problems with the pacing and I wasn't a fan of the colour filter motif. It meant that there was far too much of that gritty-city blue used for my liking and the red lighting used in the interrorgation scenes meant that I had to really strain to see everything and recognise which character was there.

Daffodil 10-12-08 03:10 AM

Rambo (2008). Mediocremediocremediocre. (Atleast, IMO ;)). Again, I had to close my eyes at the naughty scenes. =O

But, I would still choose it over The Eye or something like that. :D

re93animator 10-12-08 04:16 AM

Once Upon A Time In America. I cant believe ive avoided this film for so long, but I finally rented it and watched it. I do regret not watching it earlier though.

Daffodil 10-12-08 05:29 AM

10,000 BC. I liked it. I'd expected it to be worser. Camilla Belle was good in this. (I prefer her performance in this rather than When A Stranger Calls - even if she didn't have all that much dialogue xD).

Pedz 10-12-08 09:06 AM

District 13, is the last DVD I can remember watching. Thought it was pretty good. Not great, but it was good.

n3wt 10-12-08 09:10 AM

District 13 is a great film, I really enjoyed it the only prob was it is french lol

Pedz 10-12-08 10:06 AM

Wasn't bothered about it being French, I just thought, more would/was going to happen.

Pedz 10-13-08 06:27 AM

Watched The Invisible and Let's go to Prison last night, never heard of them before. I thought The Invisible was really good, and really enjoyed it. Let's go to Prison was also good, not great, ut good enough for a few laughs.

king_of_movies_316 10-13-08 07:50 AM

I watched the extras to Rob Zombies Halloween. Pretty lame, exept for the interview with Rob.

n3wt 10-13-08 12:38 PM

I watched The Goonies last night really enjoyed it

Vangar 10-15-08 05:19 AM

The Old Man and The Sea.

Very, very nice.

honeykid 10-15-08 10:57 PM

Blood & Chocolate. Pretty much what I expected, but some of it looked lovely. Plotholes everywhere though, much of it just simple dialogue contradictions and I don't know if it was just the copy I was watching, but the sound was pretty horrible too.

rice1245 10-16-08 01:16 AM

Lawrence of Arabia

that is a long ass movie but totally worth it

Tatima 10-22-08 12:29 PM

It was Jackie Chan's tuxedo. It was pretty bad movie 8\

SizzlingPopcorn 10-22-08 12:32 PM

Kiss of the Spider Woman, which is now re-released on a 2-disc special edition DVD. It took me a few attempts to watch the movie.

These Filthy Hands 10-23-08 03:05 PM

The Abyss: Come, it's The Abyss...

edarsenal 10-23-08 03:22 PM

Jackie Brown
"AK-47! When you absolutely, positively have to shoot every mother effer in the room--except no subsitution!"

Daffodil 10-24-08 07:43 AM

Honey. Incredibly cheesy. Haha. But, entertaining. :D

These Filthy Hands 10-24-08 05:07 PM

The Rob Zombie remake of Halloween.

BadaBing 10-24-08 05:36 PM

The Incredible Hulk on Blu-Ray

LTIZZY 10-24-08 05:42 PM

Pan's Labyrinth....it totally kicked. Enjoyed the story it was a little sad!

martian leader 10-24-08 05:53 PM

The last DVD that I watched was Retro Puppet Master!! :rock:

martian leader

Gumbo 10-25-08 09:19 AM

Gremlins!

These Filthy Hands 10-28-08 01:55 AM

I watched The Lost with my girlfriend tonight. It was complete rubbish but watching the auditions made it completely worth it. It's hard to believe that appx 1:30 of randomness can save two hours of horrible film making.

Daffodil 10-30-08 06:02 AM

The Incredible Hulk.
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (never finished it though, so I don't consider it as a movie I've actually seen all of).
And Juno (just finished it then).

Ricorocks 11-06-08 01:15 AM

Hi Guys,

Last DVD watched was 'Swimming With Sharks' Kevin Spacey is awesome.

Take Care
RR

dedunu.paresa 11-12-08 11:06 AM

Ummm watched

rice1245 11-14-08 12:22 AM

300 because i felt like basking in manliness

These Filthy Hands 11-14-08 01:54 PM

Man of Fire

honeykid 11-15-08 01:07 AM

Brotherhood (Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo) - Korean war film about two brothers who are forced into the Korean army at the outbreak of the war. About as good as it's possible for a war film to be for me. In fact, only two things stop it being the best war film I've seen. There's more than a touch of Saving Private Ryan with some of the score and, secondly, it's not Battle Of Britain.

Superb film.

Vertical Gunn 11-15-08 03:07 AM

drillbit taylor

BadaBing 11-16-08 09:51 PM

The Rock

igor_is_fugly 11-16-08 10:16 PM

Phantasm. Haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I'm still in shock.

edarsenal 11-17-08 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by LTIZZY (Post 471208)
Pan's Labyrinth....it totally kicked. Enjoyed the story it was a little sad!
i watched that last week, yet again. VERY sad, but VERY excellent movie. del torro(sp?) is such a terrific visual director

watched old boy last night. a korean movie with a great dark, sarcastic wit. highly recommend this for those who enjoy revenge/action flicks

Sedai 11-17-08 01:41 PM

I was finally able to replace this turd...

http://www.axelmusic.com/resources/c...4212007033.jpg

With this brand new, anamorphic widescreen version:

http://www.avclub.com/content/files/...ay.article.jpg

It was like seeing the film for the first time all over again. I am totally psyched.

meatwadsprite 11-17-08 11:30 PM

lol i love how they advertise it like a porno

Lennon 11-17-08 11:32 PM

Walking Dead got me into a zombie mood. I swear to god I've read it like 50 times since I bought it.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...er-Posters.jpg

These Filthy Hands 11-18-08 05:27 PM

The Descent with my girlfriend.

honeykid 11-29-08 12:40 AM

In Bruges. While I didn't feel disapointed, it wasn't as good as I'd expected, given the praise and good reviews it'd received.