Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58710)

Iroquois 07-20-20 04:13 PM

Re: Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

Even if the death of cinemas is inevitable, that doesn't mean they have to speed it up by forcing the biggest cinematic event of the year (made by someone notorious for his fondness for the theatrical experience) to go straight-to-video. Even Disney hasn't dropped Black Widow and that's a literal MCU movie. So no, I wouldn't be happy about having to watch it at home and I can wait for it to be screened in safe, accessible theatres.

WrinkledMind 07-20-20 05:40 PM

Yep, agree with @Iroquois.
Movies like Tenet or Dune for that matter deserve to be seen on a giant screen.

Yoda 07-20-20 05:46 PM

https://twitter.com/neontaster/statu...14353231798273

gandalf26 07-20-20 05:53 PM

I mean no I wouldn't be happy about it, Nolan is about the only thing that will get me to a Cinema these days but it might have made sense for this years 2 biggest (arguably) releases.

MovieBuffering 07-21-20 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2110440)
That's a high quality tweet right there lol

If COVID takes me out before I see this movie I am haunting everyone on Earth forever.

Also. I don't know call me cray cray. If the theaters can hang on and all these movies...Tenet, Wonder Woman, Dune, Black Widow etc all come out near the same time or get pushed until next summer...the theaters might experience a huge boom in business. If everyone feels safe all these movies coming out next to each other they will come out in droves for these flicks.

Ami-Scythe 07-26-20 04:34 PM

I'd rather it come out on DVD, although Joe and I had finally gotten a car recently (due to unfortunate circumstances), others do not have the ability to go to the theater, especially people at high risk. It'd simply be for the better that way. I dunno, maybe buy a bigger television?

Ami-Scythe 07-26-20 04:38 PM

Besides a bad movie at a cinema is a bad night period. At home you can just put on a better movie. You don't even have to suffer through an entire load of garbage. You can get to the enjoyment in half the time.

Yoda 07-27-20 04:34 PM

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1287799059533758470

MonnoM 07-27-20 08:43 PM

With all the hoopla this better blow my socks off, I won't accept anything less. I'll even wear socks just for the occasion.

MovieBuffering 07-27-20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 2112434)
With all the hoopla this better blow my socks off, I won't accept anything less. I'll even wear socks just for the occasion.
Better double bag those feet.

Yoda 08-04-20 04:11 PM

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...04680297869312
The reliance on lots of practical effects is definitely one of the cooler things about Nolan's films.

gandalf26 08-06-20 05:42 AM

Pleased to discover my local cinema is opening up for TeNeT.

Yoda 08-06-20 12:09 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna see what the options are here. If they sell it to 25% and put multiple seats between people, this might be one of the rare films I'd consider that for. We'll see.

TheUsualSuspect 08-06-20 12:36 PM

Glad to see Canada get this before the states!!!

AgrippinaX 08-12-20 05:57 AM

Well, guess what. I have my ticket. We might get a second lockdown by then, but there’s always hope.

MovieMeditation 08-17-20 12:45 PM

Nolan has been slipping for me in the past few movies. And rewatches of his grander works has proven that the problems I had with his films are clearer than ever, though the great ones are still good. So I’m excited to see how I’ll like Tenet...

I’m seeing this exactly a week from now. August 24th. And in 70mm as well.

TheUsualSuspect 08-17-20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2117457)
Nolan has been slipping for me in the past few movies. And rewatches of his grander works has proven that the problems I had with his films are clearer than ever, though the great ones are still good. So I’m excited to see how I’ll like Tenet...

Not for me, he seems to be improving on aspects that he lacked before. Look at his previous works, they all feel cold, calculated and mechanical. They lack real emotion and Nolan relies too much on the same backstory for characters (DEAD WIVES). Much like Kubrick, his work is a marvel, but distant emotionally. I think Inception was a turning point. Critics tend to point out his lack of emotion for films so Inception was the first one that tried to incorporate it into the story with the Cob & Mal relationship. This is heightened with Cob's main goal being "get back to see my kids". The emotion is there in the final image of the top. While people like to debate if it falls or not (I'm in the it does camp) it's clear to me that the final scene is an emotional one for the character and the audience as well.

Moving on to Interstellar, we have one of his most emotionally draining films. Two scenes jump out at me. The first is when Cooper is leaving and we get the shot of him in the truck, breaking down emotionally while Murph is regretting her decision to not say good bye. The shot alone is well blocked. Then the "big" one when Cooper is watching the YEARS go by in video messages. His kids are no longer kids, he's missed their entire lives. It's a gut wrenching scene, acted beautifully. My one complaint is that when they meet up in the end, it's a tad too quick. I'm glad Nolan doesn't milk the scene for tears, but a moment or two longer would have been nice.

Finally Dunkirk might be his most emotionally engaging film, despite not being in your face about it like Interstellar is. It's also his first film that is based on historical facts and it continues to show his technical prowess with stellar sequences involving boats and planes. Watching Tom Hardy's plane glide in the air is a beautiful moment. With the exception of Following, Dunkirk is Nolan's shortest film, but it's the most tense. The entire running time is that ticking clock. Could he have ended the film with the shot with the flaming plane as a nice metaphor? Sure, but he gives us a little moment of silence with the boys on the train. It's a nice bookend to the eerie silence we get at the beginning.

The Dark Knight Rises is a misstep for me. The scale got a little out of his hands and while there are indeed great moments, as a whole I was left mixed. He still cannot film fight choreography properly.

doubledenim 08-19-20 02:08 PM

Hopefully this gets a theatrical re-release, whenever.

Or single occupancy viewings.

MovieBuffering 08-19-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2117457)

Dunkirk has actually improved over the last couple years for me. Interstellar has been up and down for me. TDKR was by far his worse movie imo, but I do think he might have been compromised by Ledger's death. I think he had a bigger role for the Joker in that movie.

Excited for Tenet whenver we are allowed to see the damn thing.

Iroquois 08-22-20 02:45 PM

Finally got to see it and not to dash anyone's hopes or anything but it's probably one of his worst (if not the worst). Review forthcoming.

Yoda 08-22-20 02:59 PM

What's that mean in context, based on what you thought of his other films? My (admittedly faint) memory is you've never been super high on him.

MovieMeditation 08-22-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2119096)
Finally got to see it and not to dash anyone's hopes or anything but it's probably one of his worst (if not the worst). Review forthcoming.
At least this helps me lower my expectations quite a bit.

But damn... I guess now I’m only more interested in finally seeing it this Monday.

Iroquois 08-22-20 03:35 PM

I'm going to try putting together a longer review, but to put it in context with his other films - it is perhaps his most ambitious high concept yet and the way that it draws on everything else he's done to one extent or another suggests that he's finally done a magnum opus of sorts (especially considering his career-long preoccupation with the passage of time and how this is the first movie of his to actually involve literal time travel) but it's undercut by how much it has to compromise its underlying narrative by being an extremely basic spy thriller with particularly flat characters just so it can remain halfway-comprehensible to audiences. It somehow ends up being too convoluted and too simple at the same time, whereas most of his other films do better at finding a balance between the poles (especially Inception, which is definitely the closest point of comparison to Tenet and also a Nolan I genuinely like so take that as you will). it's also not helped by some technical shortcomings like sound mixing overpowering dialogue or the ways in which the cinematography/editing can make its setpieces a little incoherent at times - one can admire his preference for practical effects and some of the more ambitious stunts (the way that the much-publicised plane crash is utilised within the film proper is a genuine highlight, for example). Ultimately, I think it might just embody too many of his worst tendencies and not enough of his best.

MovieMeditation 08-24-20 07:12 AM

It has been seen.

It’s basically two halves of a movie.*

One half goes too slow, feels too vague and too stale. The other goes too fast, feels like a bombardment of information and is perhaps too hectic.

I would have liked a better balance between the two. That said I haven’t quite seen anything like that last third or so before. As I’ve said before Nolan is great at creating a grand spectacle. It’s how he sets them up that’s the problem.

He’s like the guy who don’t wanna bother as much building his lego car, he’d rather just want to play with it. And that shows sometimes imo. It feels like him reading the instructions aloud to that very car rather than actually building from the instruction, if that makes sense.

And that’s how Tenet feels. A lot of instruction reading then BAM there’s a cool car and Nolan just just hammers it down the road. That can be exciting enough in itself but something’s missing to me...

AgrippinaX 08-26-20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2119096)
Agree. Underwhelming.

Yoda 08-27-20 06:41 PM

https://twitter.com/themichaelcaine/...56172176216065

TheUsualSuspect 08-28-20 02:14 AM

My one buddy raved about it, absolutely loved it.

Then I read a few reviews saying it was actually trash.

Do I go see this movie? Are people expecting too much from it because they kept trying to push it down our throats despite COVID?

I don't know.

AgrippinaX 08-28-20 04:53 AM

We need a thread actually discussing what happens etc, if anyone is interested.

pinball 08-28-20 08:11 AM

I have no idea what this film is about, from the trailers it doesnt really show any kind of story, am I missing something?

AgrippinaX 08-28-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by pinball (Post 2120353)
I have no idea what this film is about, from the trailers it doesnt really show any kind of story, am I missing something?
Some people would agree with you even after seeing it.

Thursday Next 08-30-20 02:23 PM

Just got back from seeing Tenet...

At one point early on in the film, our protagonist is told by a science type minor character that she is there to tell him the how, not the what. Having watched it, I’m still not sure on the how or the what, and I’m pretty hazy on the who, why and even when of a lot of it.

We’re also told not to try to understand it, just feel it. But there isn’t really much to feel. It’s an experience, certainly, but not an emotional one. Characters have little development, motivation or chemistry between them, which makes it so much harder to care.

It’s certainly a spectacle on a grand scale, in a ‘look how much money we spent on fancy yachts and smashing up buildings’ kind of a way. I liked that although there were obviously special effects employed for some of the wibbly wobbly timey wimey backwards stuff, a lot of it is real and practical and not green screen. Great that it was an original story rather than yet another sequel, remake or comic book adaptation. But ultimately it wasn’t quite original enough - very 12A/PG-13 blockbuster- generic: sexless, bloodless and unfortunately humourless, with a cliched Russian villain. Big, but not very clever.

And it should have been clever. The central concept is intriguing but is never really developed enough. It’s all very well keeping things mysterious, but it just felt more underdeveloped. Where there should have been ‘oh!’ moments, it just felt more like a rolling train of stuff happening and more stuff happening. All plot and no storytelling. Some of the dialogue sounded like filler lines to be redrafted later but they didn't get round to it.

The second half of the film, where the time travel kicks into play a bit more and events sort of fold back on themselves picked up a bit. It was an enjoyable ride, for the most part. I certainly didn’t know where it was going, but only because a lot of the time I didn’t really know where it was either.

The soundtrack was awful and annoyingly intrusive. The film starts with the sound of an orchestra tuning up and then some gunshots and honestly it stays like that pretty much all the way through the film.

AgrippinaX 08-31-20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2120885)
bBut ultimately it wasn’t quite original enough - very 12A/PG-13 blockbuster- generic: sexless, bloodless and unfortunately humourless, with a cliched Russian villain. Big, but not very clever.
This is very true, especially where sexless/bloodless is concerned. It reminded me of the scene in USS Callister where Walton takes off his pants and says no one in the virtual reality has any sex organs. The lack of characters’ emotional development is a charge often levelled at Nolan; I don’t usually agree, as I think there’s a reason why action/thriller films focus less on emotion and more on events, but in Tenet emotional connection was definitely lacking. The only people who had any kind of chemistry were Debicki and Branagh, and they weren’t meant to, plot-wise (at least IMO). So here it’s definitely a big shortcoming. Also, unhelpful as that kind of comment might be, I wonder if it wouldn’t make sense to give the protagonist a child, because then he’d have a stake in wanting to see the world not end. I don’t mean making Kat the protagonist, but the child dynamic at least gives the character a better motivation to prevent the Armageddon. Also child-parent relationships tend to have the kind of chemistry Tenet is lacking. I seem to remember Inception being similarly criticised for being apathetic, so it’s probably part of the Nolan brand by now, for better or worse.

MovieBuffering 09-06-20 08:16 PM

Saw it yesterday. Best way I can describe it succinctly is that it is basically Inception but where all the pieces don't work quite as well. Inception is full of exposition and it doesn't feel tedious where as Tenet it does. Tenet the characters are thinly developed, same as Inception but it doesn't quite work as well. Convoluted with tons of big ideas like Inception but in Tenet they always just feel slightly out of your grasp, unlike Inception where you eventually catch up.

The casting was also a bit curious to me. JD Washington does ok, but I was not overly impressed. He comes off wooden in a lot of the exposition scenes, I could feel myself watching a movie. Where as Leo in Inception I whole heartly believed he was in that world and knowledgeable about what he was explaining. Then this may be a dumb critique to have but Debicki has 6 inches on Washington without heels already. It sort of undercuts Washington as this badass spy to me when the lead female is towering over him lol. Plus it's tough to buy them being attracted to each other haha. (It's debatable whether or not attraction was intended or not :shrug:) I just didn't like the ascetics of those two being the leads (more about height, not race, guess I am a heightist). Branagh straddled the line of hammy and fun. I think he got away with it. I thought Debicki and Pattinson were the strongest performances though.

It may have sounded like I hated it but I did not. I knew I was enjoying what I was seeing overall but I wasn't completely understanding everything while doing so haha. I just have an extremely high bar for Nolan that he has set with his previous works I have enjoyed. I actually really liked the score. There are some really cool actions sets and some worthy ideas for further exploration in this flick. In Hollywood where they are struggling to come up with anything original Nolan is super vital. Going online and watching some video reviews and analyst of the film has been fun. There are some wild ones. Say what you will the movie sticks with you. Repeat viewings when it comes out on video will be required to finally land on a firm score for the flick. I'd give it a tentative 3 out of 5 as of now, but depending on how much I enjoy it or not on repeats it could go up or down.

https://lrmonline.com/wp-content/upl...et-300-ppi.jpg

chawhee 09-08-20 09:37 AM

I think my sentiment lines up with others at this point. I felt like I was taking myself out of the movie a few times to try and see if I really understood what was going on or not. Usually there are rather well-defined rules that characters and plots play by in movies like this, but this one seemed to just let it fly and see what kind of final cut comes out of it.

Which honestly makes me think I'm at the tipping point for time travel physics movies for the next few years. Between this and Avengers and Mr. Nobody (watched for the first time), I'm sick of the concept for now. Even if I read reviews online and rewatch this to try and align everything sensibly, I'm still not sure this is a great movie. I don't expect the average movie goer to enjoy it, and there didnt seem to be a moment to just relax and enjoy the movie for just being a movie. Rating pending....

AgrippinaX 09-08-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by chawhee (Post 2122955)
Which honestly makes me think I'm at the tipping point for time travel physics movies for the next few years. Between this and Avengers and Mr. Nobody (watched for the first time), I'm sick of the concept for now.
Hmm, what about Primer? The time travel physics films are having something of a revival; even The Endless is kind of in that vein. Personally, I’m very fond of them, but the Avengers’ take on the concept feels pretty lame to me... but then again, I am biased against them.

chawhee 09-08-20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2122966)
Hmm, what about Primer? The time travel physics films are having something of a revival; even The Endless is kind of in that vein. Personally, I’m very fond of them, but the Avengers’ take on the concept feels pretty lame to me... but then again, I am biased against them.

I haven't seen these but to add another example, I also watched Coherence in the past year. I'll have look into those you mentioned.

AgrippinaX 09-09-20 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by chawhee (Post 2123150)
I haven't seen these but to add another example, I also watched Coherence in the past year. I'll have look into those you mentioned.
I really like Coherence for the minimalism; some others include Predestination (2014), The Incident (2014, Spain), Timecrimes (2007) and Triangle (2009). The One I Love (2014) and Looper (2012) are not in the same league for me, but definitely worth seeing.

Thursday Next 09-10-20 01:25 PM

Question about the film (that could possibly be solved by a second viewing but asking here is cheaper)

WARNING: "Tenet" spoilers below

Why did they sometimes have to wear oxygen masks in the past but sometimes not? Sometimes they seemed to be experiencing the 'wrong' time backwards, but sometimes they seemed to be the same direction as everyone else. Kat on the yacht for example, the protagonist at the end.

Iroquois 09-10-20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2123603)
Question about the film (that could possibly be solved by a second viewing but asking here is cheaper)

Why did they sometimes have to wear oxygen masks in the past but sometimes not? Sometimes they seemed to be experiencing the 'wrong' time backwards, but sometimes they seemed to be the same direction as everyone else. Kat on the yacht for example, the protagonist at the end.
I think they use the machine at the airport to return to forward time.

resopamenic 09-19-20 08:49 AM

For better or worse, this kind of movie deserves to watch more than one. And I sort of reject the notion of 'don't try to understand it feel it'.
no, this occasion you need both, simultaneously xD.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2123603)

WARNING: spoilers below
they use the machines to inverse and also re-inverse themselves. turn out the tenet organization actually/somehow also have the technology. after they re-inverse themselves in the machine at the airport, somewhere they inverse themselves back.
before the final act kat and the protagonist re-inverse themselves, as they arrived around the timeline at the beginning of the movie.
(implied, offscreen).

the masks used because their inverted lungs (as they were inverted) didn't work with normal air. sometimes they can take off/didn't need the mask because they were inside some isolated rooms.

*edit: the protagonist (and the rest of the red team) also wearing the full mask like the blue team was a tactical reason.

resopamenic 09-19-20 09:18 AM

so a question that I think may or may not a plot hole.

I might already see some possible solution in Reddit.
#1 Neil was the corpse inside the hypocenter, as he inverted himself way back again to open the locked door and get shot for protecting TP, that makes there two Neil during that last mission. but the problem that I see that when the splinter team (TP and Ives) got inside the tunnel, the entrance collapsed because of the booby trap explosion.
so how he, this 2nd Neil on the battlefield, enters the hypocenter in the first place?
as he moves back from the "later" point of time where the entrance was sealed off, I try to think some other offscreen solution like there other entrances; but also unlikely as my impression for now there only that one-way tunnel. can't be sure.
it also feels unlikely that he blows up the sealed entrance to pave his way inside.

#2 ---

shlomi 09-27-20 08:10 AM

What makes Christopher Nolan's films so successful in my eyes, is that he manage to create the feeling that there are ideas on stake, and the forces that clash in the war over the ideas find expression in every bit of the plot in inseparable way.

this film fails to give that feeling. Nolan has always loved to take crazy concepts and dress them up in well-known genres, thus turning the familiar elements on their side. Memento tells the most clichéd story of them all; a man tries to avenge his wife's tragic death. It works not only because of the general concept of a story told from end to beginning, but because of the technique; The elements of the plot feel like something that comes naturally from the assumptions of the initial premise. The elements are familiar - but you experience them in a different way.

In this movie, the familiar elements remain quite familiar. The situations and the sequence of events do not feel like the natural conclusion of an idea. its just like a regular movie, with elements as you expect them exactly, and which occasionally also reverses some scenes. there is no idea laid on the line, no emotional depth. it's like someone who is'nt nolan tried to make a nolan movie without the nolan technique.

Dunkirk was also ideologically and emotionally poor. But it was more successful because it moved away from the genre's generic conventions, and mostly because it felt like it had reached its full potential. It's perhaps the only war movie ever where you wont hear "Tell my mom I love her" or "Give my dad this necklace ...".

so the problam with tenet was more that it's flat story and characters. I mean, what was the **** was that **** about marriage-drama-abuse? Something I never thought I would see in a Nolan film because he always showed that he has an understanding of what works and what does not, and what elements to stay away from. The feeling is that a storyteller like Chris could have create a much more successful and much more worthy story.

make no mistake, tenet is still a pretty fun and engaging film. And if it came out of the hands of another director, I might have said it's a great movie. Whenever the film ceases to be a fairly ordinary and generic spy thriller and goes in and does reverses, it becomes breathtaking. The action here is amazing. The problem is that it happens too little, and feels like a plugin put in on the side of the plot rather than its essence. this is the first time I'm watching a Nolan movie where I feel like I'm not entering new territory, even though the overall concept should be enough.

7/10

very disappointed.

aronisred 09-27-20 12:15 PM

why is there a turnstile in the middle of art storage facility in newport ? I can believe there being a turnstile in any other location but how is it in newport ? isn't it like a airport maintained facility ? how did sator get that in there ?

aronisred 09-27-20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by shlomi (Post 2127544)
What makes Christopher Nolan's films so successful in my eyes, is that he manage to create the feeling that there are ideas on stake, and the forces that clash in the war over the ideas find expression in every bit of the plot in inseparable way.

this film fails to give that feeling. Nolan has always loved to take crazy concepts and dress them up in well-known genres, thus turning the familiar elements on their side. Memento tells the most clichéd story of them all; a man tries to avenge his wife's tragic death. It works not only because of the general concept of a story told from end to beginning, but because of the technique; The elements of the plot feel like something that comes naturally from the assumptions of the initial premise. The elements are familiar - but you experience them in a different way.

In this movie, the familiar elements remain quite familiar. The situations and the sequence of events do not feel like the natural conclusion of an idea. its just like a regular movie, with elements as you expect them exactly, and which occasionally also reverses some scenes. there is no idea laid on the line, no emotional depth. it's like someone who is'nt nolan tried to make a nolan movie without the nolan technique.

Dunkirk was also ideologically and emotionally poor. But it was more successful because it moved away from the genre's generic conventions, and mostly because it felt like it had reached its full potential. It's perhaps the only war movie ever where you wont hear "Tell my mom I love her" or "Give my dad this necklace ...".

so the problam with tenet was more that it's flat story and characters. I mean, what was the **** was that **** about marriage-drama-abuse? Something I never thought I would see in a Nolan film because he always showed that he has an understanding of what works and what does not, and what elements to stay away from. The feeling is that a storyteller like Chris could have create a much more successful and much more worthy story.

make no mistake, tenet is still a pretty fun and engaging film. And if it came out of the hands of another director, I might have said it's a great movie. Whenever the film ceases to be a fairly ordinary and generic spy thriller and goes in and does reverses, it becomes breathtaking. The action here is amazing. The problem is that it happens too little, and feels like a plugin put in on the side of the plot rather than its essence. this is the first time I'm watching a Nolan movie where I feel like I'm not entering new territory, even though the overall concept should be enough.

7/10

very disappointed.
you need to watch it a couple of more times my friend....it pays off richly with each viewing. I can bet that no one will fully understand the movie in one watch. You need atleast 2 or 3 watches to kinda get it. All his other movies are adam sandler movies in terms of complexity when compared to tenet.

resopamenic 09-27-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2127570)
why is there a turnstile in the middle of art storage facility in newport ? I can believe there being a turnstile in any other location but how is it in newport ? isn't it like a airport maintained facility ? how did sator get that in there ?
if i remember it correctly because he kind of owns the place. all of his turnstiles were on his properties. he put in there likely to cover up his operation, easier when he shipping inverted stuff or container (harbor/port, airport).

shlomi 09-27-20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2127573)
you need to watch it a couple of more times my friend....it pays off richly with each viewing. I can bet that no one will fully understand the movie in one watch. You need atleast 2 or 3 watches to kinda get it. All his other movies are adam sandler movies in terms of complexity when compared to tenet.
no mate. it has nothing to do with understanding of the plot. I sure do agree i'll find new things in 2th viewing in terms of the mechanics of the plot. but my disappointed with the film, as i say, is related to the story itself. not the plot. the story is dull, and bad.

aronisred 09-27-20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by shlomi (Post 2127586)
no mate. it has nothing to do with understanding of the plot. I sure do agree i'll find new things in 2th viewing in terms of the mechanics of the plot. but my disappointed with the film, as i say, is related to the story itself. not the plot. the story is dull, and bad.
the ripple effects of a technology like inversion will never be a straight forward story especially when it involves meddling with natural laws. Our protagonist is dumped into a situation which has no starting or ending point. So the path for him to contribute and figure out the things will always be a crooked one.

But in terms of potential I do agree with you that given the concepts in the movie there could have been a more kickass/badass spy film that could have been made. The 1 minute teaser released last year with JDW walking towards a bullet hole showed so much more potential than what the rest of trailers or even the movie ended up being.

I always wanted the premise of the movie to be more of a mystery which our protagonist would eventually figure out before others and lead the charge against time traveling antagonists but what we ended up getting is the protagonist being handed over the mission. The teaser at least made it seem like the protagonist figured stuff out in the room with bullets holes in the glass panel for the first and not in some exposition dump by a scientist in a white coat.

resopamenic 09-27-20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by shlomi (Post 2127586)
I quiet enjoying the story myself. not perfect but far from being dull.
i enjoyed the nolanposition throughout but before the final battle (in the ship) that one was quiet aching for revelation to keeps the story move on.
dead mean's switch, inoperable cancer

Stiil, I think this more best to compare to things like Mad Max fury road, stuff like that.

ynwtf 09-29-20 02:32 PM

SPOILERS Incoming, so fair warning.

Welp, I decided to take in a movie last night at the cinema in that I've not paid a visit since the C-19 shutdowns. They were open, and I was stressing so I needed a fix. Tenet was scheduled for about 30 minutes after I left office and by the time I got there there were maybe 7 vehicles total in the lot. I figured at least 3 were staff. Yup. I had the theater all to myself. I got a small popcorn, a bottle of water (trying to cut back on sugars, but damn if I can't watch a movie on the big screen without my salty popcorn. It's been MONTHS!) The clerk informed me that I had a free large popcorn available for my recent b-day, but I declined. Small for me. See? I'm trying.

Anyway. I watched Tenet and I have to say I'm more or less with the consensus of these forums. I believe a lot of people will be down-right frustrated with this one while a few puzzle seekers will adore it for years to come. I also feel like there will be a few in the margins that will say they love it to impress their friends, much the way college freshmen need to quote philosophy to appear enlightened. I can speak to that with confidence as I was that college freshman.

WARNING: "Spoilers (second warning)" spoilers below
I'm no longer that freshman.

As someone else already commented, I had to remove myself from this film several times to regroup, calculate, and confirm the math of reversals, time sequences, or to replay garbled dialogue in my head to try to decipher what might have been said (that fire hose the second time around the airplane crash was deafening!). That didn't frustrate me, which I found odd. What did frustrate me was the realization that this movie likely took a few years of drafting logic maps to make sure everything fit just so working in two time progressions (multiple progressions in the last half hour or so of the film), but presents its intricate network of entry and exit points for the run of several different characters within a 2-hour window to an audience completely unaware and without context to the intricate maps that were clearly necessary to create the movie. I think it is a lot to ask your audience to be introduced to a concept, follow the logic of the concept, reasonably track multiple instances playing out of that concept, and still make sense of much of anything after a point, all while trying to do so under the guise of a spy action drama complete with your trope red herring distractions needed to continue the core plot moving forward. To me, that is damn arrogant to throw your audience into such a convoluted mess without time to really digest what's been learned (as minimally as it was presented) before being thrown into an exponentially building sequence of timelines, reverse timelines both being experienced by two teams with some individuals' sub-reverse-REVERSE timelines to hit necessary plot points. Granted, this is a marvelous sequence of events, but damn the ego necessary to create it and just toss it out without a user's manual!

The script plays well enough straddling between watered down versions of David Mamet and the Craig-era Bond writing staff. Action sequences were excellent in the first half of the film but too dense in the second. The "Teams" attack at the end became comical for me very quickly with agents running around (forward and reverse). For a moment I was reminded of my recent viewing of Starship Troopers when landing on planet P. Hey, but that's my baggage bringing with me what I took in so maybe it's OK. To a point. In the organized chaos playing out on screen I had to take a beat to get my bearings enough to finally ask, "who is shooting back?" Aside from a few rocket launchers hiding in two of the emptied buildings, I guess I missed them. That triggered a sequence of micro-second mental leaps noticing just how many "grunts" are aware and totally cool with time inversion that my mind nearly shattered at the reality that each one of these soldiers (both good and bad) have the awareness and power to manipulate time potentially destroying all of existence. Really? I understand that the pretense is temporal warfare, however, with all of the cloak and dagger secrecy provided when Protagonist (I love the character naming btw!) is brought onboard and first introduced to inverted matter, it seems a bit silly to see so many enlisted during walkthroughs of the training and battle grounds presented in the second half of the movie.

Hey. It's a mostly tight movie. I'm not sure it plays as well as on screen as it must have been planned on paper, but I'm sure all the details are there and fit together. I'm just not sure I'm interested enough to bother tracking it all to verify any of it. I'll have to take them on face value that there was adequate quality assurance when sequencing these timeline interactions. Most of it looked cool though. So for you puzzle nuts out there, is that enough to make a good movie? To make something just because one can? I'd be more enthusiastic if that question played more of a meta role between the film and the viewer somewhere, what with all of the mind bending concepts at play. I'm not sure Sator reached out on that level though. I mean to speak directly to motivation of creating (or in Sator's case, destroying) something just because. He had reasonable (a madman's reasoning, but still reasonable in that context) motivation. That may be a sadly missed bridge between what happens on screen to what the viewer experiences in watching it. Walls are being shattered. What's one more to reach the audience? But, no. Unless I'm missing it? Someone show me please, if so.

I don't know. I really don't know. I do know that I don't know not because the concept is too high, but because so much of it is just imbalanced to itself. That is ironic, in a way, considering the title's sake palindrome of TENET and the several reverse/mirrored actions of the character and events throughout. We're thrown in the deep end on beat one. The Protagonist knows his mission but, after that, he knows as much as we do as he experiences following events. The guy takes everything in a well enough stride. I'm not sure it's necessary to know the "why" about his psychology before hand as we can deduce such things (assumption? deduction!. There were nice plays on words scattered about that I was reminded of as typing that word!). While not necessary to know this about our character, I believe the audience's attention is just spread too thin with so much information, minimal insight, and a shotgun scatter of everything else compounding seemingly infinitely as the movie progresses. Even with all this, the core spy drama had predictable beats some 20-30 minutes before playing out. How do you spend so much effort master-working a concept only to lose credibility with clunky plot points? Granted, that may be more of a primed expectation of the viewer given how movies rely so much on twists and attempts at subterfuge of the true plot line. I don' know. But that's my point! I do not know and I feel like I should have more confidence on any point after this movie. I'm OK with not getting it, if it's on me for not getting it. I don't think that's the case here. And that nags at me. Sadly, it's not a positive nag that gives me pause to consider, reflect, or revisit (other than for what I've done enough to write this). Hm. I'm writing something within 24 hours of watching a movie. I guess there's something to be said for that? Meh. I'm pretty sure I'm going to disconnect from this one after hitting the submit button so even that isn't really all that much of a victory.

Inception did it better. Even with Ellen Page.

seems only fitting, I mean the other half of the score must be inverted.

ynwtf 09-30-20 01:36 PM

I didn't kill it, did I?
=\

Wyldesyde19 09-30-20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2128273)
I didn't kill it, did I?
=\
*claps*

Excellent. Come join us at The round Table of Thread Killers*
Bring your talents to the shoutbox next.

*Trademark pending

resopamenic 09-30-20 11:47 PM

kill what :3
https://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/im...4a5d56c128.jpg

Kay Burton 10-02-20 07:57 AM

I went to the cinema with my wife. She loves films of this genre. And I'm not very good, but I went for the company. To be honest, I was expecting another predictable and slightly necessary plot. Was "pleasantly disappointed". The film is really worthwhile. I will not spoil, although there are enough spoilers in the topic. I will say that I liked it. I do not regret that I looked.

aronisred 10-16-20 01:58 AM

I have a question...what exactly happens with the person who reverse shots a bullet and saves JDW in opening opera house scene ? i know who it is..but how did that person end up there ? obviously he is not inverted but the bullet/gun is. But how does he place the bullet there ? JDW getting threatened by a gun happens by surprise, how did the person who inverse shots the bullet puts the bullet there in that exact location so that it passes only through the soldier and not JDW ?

resopamenic 11-06-20 08:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sv9DwRrJk

AgrippinaX 11-06-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2132052)
I have a question...what exactly happens with the person who reverse shots a bullet and saves JDW in opening opera house scene ? i know who it is..but how did that person end up there ? obviously he is not inverted but the bullet/gun is. But how does he place the bullet there ? JDW getting threatened by a gun happens by surprise, how did the person who inverse shots the bullet puts the bullet there in that exact location so that it passes only through the soldier and not JDW ?
This was all arranged/set up in the future when this person and JDW were friends, I assume because he knows this person will do this (because
he’s seen the orange tag
), they could have agreed to send him into that moment at an unspecified time in the future.

WrinkledMind 11-29-20 04:28 PM

I just finished watching it and it definitely felt like an unsatisfying watch, a feeling you don't usually associate with a Nolan movie.

Without getting into the plot, for which I made a small reading effort after the movie to solve my doubts, I will put forward few thoughts to tell why this movie didn't work for me.

1) There was a distinct lack of emotions, character development and relationships.
While Nolan has never really been big on that in his other movies, he has still presented us characters with strong emotional baggage, complex relationships, etc, which work in making us feel (or cheer) for those characters.
Here there was none. And the feeble attempt at romance between the two main characters was drab and flat. A part of the blame should also lie at the feet of Washington. I won't compare him with his father cause I think that's unfair, but he just hasn't got any presence.

2) The villian's casting was terrible. Why couldn't they cast a Russian actor. Kenneth Branagh was unbelievable, almost seeming like a cheap parody of Russian villians. He neither intimidated nor made me feel uncomfortable. He did make me unintentionally giggle with the poor Russian act. Not all the blame was his, as he was given a stereotypical character to play. So I blame the writing equally.

3) Things seemed rushed from the start. Again this is something that Nolan usually does in his movies, but he always takes his time to set up his worlds first, and then he rushes things before the all out action of the climax. We saw that in Inception with the main heist planning or even the Dark Knight or TDKR. Here it was rushed from the start.

4) The idea here, just like the core idea of Inception, was intriguing, but unlike Inception, here the idea's novelty was lost fairly quickly. Also, there was a lack of surprise. It was ruined because it's easy to figure out a lot of things that are about to happen. And that takes away a lot of excitement from the process of watching a movie that is actually meant to be exciting.

Anyways, on a nice note I was happy to see the greatest set of hair on the planet (trust me I have seen her in person couple of times and they are shiny and luscious) Dimple Kapadia get a meaty role in a Hollywood production.

neiba 11-29-20 04:31 PM

Tenet is a 100% Nolan picture. Solid technically especially the sound design and visual effects but as pretentious as a film can get and a script more adequate to a highschool theatre piece.

fatelephant 12-07-20 06:25 AM

That might sound a bit dull, but as much as I enjoy Nolan's movies, I disliked the chosen color palette of Tenet. The whole time I was watching it I thought, that everything looks somehow....sad, flat, not as stylish as e.g. Inception.

resopamenic 12-12-20 01:29 AM

"Wake the americans."
https://youtu.be/8JEv0etfWrk

Sedai 12-12-20 09:43 AM

I am part of a PLEX network with a few friends, and this film appeared on one of my friends PCs yesterday. It doesn't release until next week, so it's probably a questionable source, but hey, I watched it anyway.

First impression is that Nolan bit of a bit more than he could chew this time around. As ynwtf said, I think this probably worked better as a script, only to prove extremely difficult to pull of on screen without scrambling the viewer's brain a bit. Removing the red herrings in the spy bits would have helped tighten this up.

I liked the cast, and I was able to follow events fairly will, but overall, this one lacked the elegance and smooth fit it required to really work.

ynwtf 12-12-20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2151653)
I am part of a PLEX network with a few friends, and this film appeared on one of my friends PCs yesterday. It doesn't release until next week, so it's probably a questionable source, but hey, I watched it anyway.

First impression is that Nolan bit of a bit more than he could chew this time around. As ynwtf said, I think this probably worked better as a script, only to prove extremely difficult to pull of on screen without scrambling the viewer's brain a bit. Removing the red herrings in the spy bits would have helped tighten this up.

I liked the cast, and I was able to follow events fairly will, but overall, this one lacked the elegance and smooth fit it required to really work.

Just FYI, PLEX is also in-game currency for EvE-Online that can be sold for subscription time. Also, I think that was the second time someone has referenced one of my reviews in a post in all my time here (as little as that's been). I feel Perdy. Oh so Perdy!

resopamenic 12-13-20 01:23 AM

I'm kinda surprised that, even for Tenet clearly the most divisive Nolan's film to come, I rarely heard the praise for ludwig's score from the cons.
hate or love the film, but the music is still something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N768T-5Ujs

Sedai 12-14-20 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by resopamenic (Post 2152068)
I'm kinda surprised that, even for Tenet clearly the most divisive Nolan's film to come, I rarely heard the praise for ludwig's score from the cons.
hate or love the film, but the music is still something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N768T-5Ujs

Agree. The score is excellent.

resopamenic 12-14-20 09:23 AM

At least people from the future can agree about one thing ;)

Yoda 12-15-20 10:44 PM

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1339001615949459456

gandalf26 12-16-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by WrinkledMind (Post 2145256)
I just finished watching it and it definitely felt like an unsatisfying watch, a feeling you don't usually associate with a Nolan movie.
I remember the feeling having watched Nolan's previous films with a bit of intrigue like Prestige or Inception, you can't wait to see them again,

With Tenet it felt like a chore of getting to the end just so I can say I've seen it, and even though there's no doubt lots that I've misunderstood or missed I can't see myself ever wanting to watch this again.

Probably his worst film.

Yoda 12-16-20 11:53 AM

I never miss an opportunity to pimp an essay, so I'll just quietly note that Tenet contains another "useful lie," ala Christopher Nolan's Useful Lies.

resopamenic 12-16-20 02:29 PM

Credit cards, email , text, mofos' post - anything that goes into the record speaks directly to the future. The question is, can the future speak back?

WrinkledMind 12-16-20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2153483)
I never miss an opportunity to pimp an essay, so I'll just quietly note that Tenet contains another "useful lie," ala Christopher Nolan's Useful Lies.

Good read. You could add The Following to it as well, with respect to the concept of useful lie. Also, it is one of his better movies.

Yoda 12-16-20 03:33 PM

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Yeah, I might go update it, both with The Following and with the films of his since, that have very much kept it going.

Wyldesyde19 12-24-20 03:34 PM

Just watched this last night. I really enjoyed this movie! I’m a fan of Nolan’s, so I was looking forward to it.
The details that you catch in this is important. The little things.

I will say I found it a little predictable.
I kept telling my brother my suspicions on the identity of the mystery man in the turnstile at the airport and was correct in that. To say more would spoil it though.

The final battle left me unimpressed for some reason, or maybe because the last 20 mins or so dragged during it. It wasn’t as exciting as I thought it would be. Maybe I’m just jaded when it comes to action scenes.

Altogether, it was a good movie. It got confusing on occasion when it came to the explanations on the inversions, but much like Inception, I think a rewatch will definitely help clear this up more.

Vlad Adamson 01-04-21 07:17 PM

Every scene just seemed to go into each other with no connective tissue. I could only understand what was happening in that immediate moment but nothing had connections to the rest of the movie. It was just like having a crazy action packed dream with no coherent plot.

Ezrangel 01-04-21 07:38 PM

***out of *****
Visually gorgeous with a great soundtrack, but a completely rushed storyline that tries WAY to hard to be like Inception (which had the interesting wife sub-plot instead of Tenet's cliches) with having 2 separate timelines while making about 1/10th as much sense. Characters were also meh, but the action was great. Definitely Nolan's worst.

GulfportDoc 01-05-21 10:54 AM

Here's my take on the film:

TENET (2020)

Being hesitant and somewhat ambivalent about watching this picture due to mediocre ratings and an unknown star (to me), it was being referenced so often that it became time to view it.

The film was predictably complex, what with time inversion and time travel, but the story was interesting enough in its weave, but yet rather simple in it’s premise: an espionage thriller in which an organization named “Tenet” tries to prevent World War III. The ins and outs of the action and development are too complicated to summarize here, and I’m not sure I understand it completely at any rate.

As a thriller it’s a dilly. And the special effects are impressive once one realizes what they’re portraying on screen. I prefer the effects in Nolan’a Inception, but here the effects are pretty stunning. Nolan’s experience in battlefield camera work served him well in Tenet.

Still, the picture somewhat fizzles. Through it’s imparted confusion there’s a updrafting sense that something is missing from the overall punch of the production. Perhaps there were so many disparate parts that the project didn’t seem to congeal, to hold together.

Part of the problem was the mediocre acting of the lead, John David Washington. I’m not privy to how he was selected for the part, but he does not have enough acting talent or experience to carry such an important role. He would be fine in a straight action movie, but he is unable at this point in his career to express the nuances necessary to pull off a complex part. This is made even more obvious when his character is interacting with some of the better actors, like Robert Pattinson or Michael Caine.

Bless her heart, Elizabeth Debicki is a decent actress, and has had several fine parts. But at 6’2”, why did they have her wear 5” heels? She already has a giraffe like presence, but making her 5” taller, towering over everyone in the cast, is positively burlesque-- almost a satire. When she was sitting, one could focus on her portrayal, her character. Standing, she was a redwood in an orange grove.

The picture cost $200M. It didn’t recoup it’s expense, and reportedly Warner Bros. lost $100M on the deal.
Tenet had the makings of a top film, but as it turned out it’s just an interesting, but off target curio.

Doc’s rating: 5/10

Sprague Dawley 06-27-21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2162370)
Part of the problem was the mediocre acting of the lead, John David Washington. I’m not privy to how he was selected for the part, but he does not have enough acting talent or experience to carry such an important role. He would be fine in a straight action movie, but he is unable at this point in his career to express the nuances necessary to pull off a complex part.
Yeah at first I was thinking "good casting choice, seems promising" but then, as you said...

I sort of half-arsed followed along with the time travel aspect but the whole Westworldy dialogue of "changing the past which you cannot change but the future is set and we can't change that but you know what, I think we can change the present to influence the future of a past we cannot change. That is reality" malarkie was a bit of a tune-out.

Thought the baddie was good though. Did enjoy his sweet, sweet clunky death when he did a "oooh, that'll hurt in the morning" tumble off his own boat. He took a VERY nasty bang to the head! Also the bit how they revealed who the woman diving off the boat was 2 hours later was some insanely creative writing.

Japanese woman at work has gone full berko over this film and watched it numerous times, in Japanese, then English, then with subtitles, then without, and says she wants to keep watching it again and again until she completely understands it. Havent the heart to tell her this director doesnt give a toss about the actual order of the universe (whatever the hell that is) or what might or might not be feasible in the time space continuum and will gladly lead her down the garden path and through the brambles that open out to the emptied cul de sac addressed "WFT Grove" and then leave her there to her own devices forever.

GulfportDoc 06-28-21 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sprague Dawley (Post 2215940)
... Havent the heart to tell her this director doesnt give a toss about the actual order of the universe (whatever the hell that is) or what might or might not be feasible in the time space continuum and will gladly lead her down the garden path and through the brambles that open out to the emptied cul de sac addressed "WFT Grove" and then leave her there to her own devices forever.
Good points, Sprague. BTW, did you mean to write "WTF" Grove...:D

Sprague Dawley 06-28-21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2216001)
BTW, did you mean to write "WTF" Grove...:D
Absolutely not. I never use internet shorthand.

John McClane 08-11-21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2153483)
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I bought the movie on Saturday and I’ve seen it four times so far. It could have been better in some regards, but overall I think it worked. It worked damn well.

Yoda 08-11-21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2229298)
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I bought the movie on Saturday and I’ve seen it four times so far. It could have been better in some regards, but overall I think it worked. It worked damn well.
Fair question. I think I need to see the movie again to give an interesting answer. :laugh: But first blush, the central premise of the movie does seem to mostly fit the mold, without saying more or resorting to spoiler tags.

John W Constantine 01-27-24 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2118180)
Hopefully this gets a theatrical re-release, whenever.

Or single occupancy viewings.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJP5RunZUKk

doubledenim 01-27-24 09:30 PM

Yeah. That moment’s passed :lol:

John W Constantine 02-08-24 02:42 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...163548504.html

I just want you angry and confused all the time.

ynwtf 02-08-24 06:10 PM

^I have half a mind to make a crap movie in which the plot continually takes random and totally unnecessary turns to eventually end on a whole other cast closing an objective that was never presented to the audience, celebrating the obviously unobvious accomplishment. Then, someone can interview me and all I will offer is that "Audiences were never meant to understand. Not just subverting expectations, but eviscerating expectations to such a level that the only thing remaining to fill the void from our universe was to pack that wound with the nonsense created here, hemorrhaging and seeping puss of 'wtf?'

Total.
Annihilation."

GulfportDoc 02-08-24 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2437908)
^I have half a mind to make a crap movie in which the plot continually takes random and totally unnecessary turns to eventually end on a whole other cast closing an objective that was never presented to the audience, celebrating the obviously unobvious accomplishment. Then, someone can interview me and all I will offer is that "Audiences were never meant to understand. Not just subverting expectations, but eviscerating expectations to such a level that the only thing remaining to fill the void from our universe was to pack that wound with the nonsense created here, hemorrhaging and seeping puss of 'wtf?'

Total.
Annihilation."
I think David Lynch already did that...🙂:D