What are some movies you liked before getting seriously into film?

Tools    

I was in the mid to late 90's smitten with the schmaltzy titles Untamed Heart & Benny and Joon ... revisiting them now would probably instantly turn me into a piece of some kind of vegetable

I must say I haven't changed much in my opinions about the stuff that caught my attention, even going back 40 years or more. True, I watched some stuff in the mid 80's which I wouldn't touch today with a ten foot pole, but that was more about boredom and lack of entertainment than anything else. Another thing would be "guilty pleasures", movies like Gremlins which, despite not being really good, I enjoyed and still can occasionally do.

Gremlins is pretty classy compared to let us say The Toxic Avenger, ... ty

I must say I haven't changed much in my opinions about the stuff that caught my attention, even going back 40 years or more. True, I watched some stuff in the mid 80's which I wouldn't touch today with a ten foot pole, but that was more about boredom and lack of entertainment than anything else. Another thing would be "guilty pleasures", movies like Gremlins which, despite not being really good, I enjoyed and still can occasionally do.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Gladiator and The Last Samurai are two childhood favorites.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Films I still like today. Assault on Precinct 13, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ALIENS, When Harry Met Sally, etc.

I'm proud of liking Psycho, and the 70's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but back to shame and regret, i was a big Prince fan and i recorded and watched over and over again the trailer for Graffiti Bridge, my young mind couldn't allow the possibility that that musical genius could be in anything short of genius no matter what the medium.

I'm having trouble still liking that one.
It's a near-perfect film IMO, right up there with Back to the Future. It just works. The sequels fall off pretty hard, but the original is tight. Great score by John Williams. Spielberg and Lucas at the height of their powers. Peak Harrison Ford. Romping through old serial actions romps--a genre ripe to be mined at the rime. It's a perfect storm.

2 more faux pas are a couple i'd watch the beginnings of when i got home from school slightly still stoned from a joint smoked during recess and/or lunch hour

The Doors and Natural Born Killers

This was an important film in getting me to go for films more seriously but looking back it's awful, Gus Van Sant's Gerry, the only good thing about it is that it uses the greatest piece of music ever composed Arvo Part's Spiegel im spiegel.

My only real confession here is musical. When I was a kid, I thought Disco Duck was a JAM!!! Today, not so much.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
...Benny and Joon ...
Benny & Joon (1993) was/is a very pleasant, very watchable movie.
In those years, I was deeply in Mary Stuart Masterson. What happened with this girl? Never heard her since the late 90's.

I dunno, it just pulled at the heart strings, and i'm afraid of it and movies like that, to be that emotionally tied up with something that isn't a towering achievement.

Benny & Joon (1993) was/is a very pleasant very watchable movie.
In those years, I was deeply in Mary Stuart Masterson. What happened with this girl? Never heard her since late 90's.

Sunshine is the main one for me. I don't like it quite as much as I used to, but I still think it's very good and am an ardent defender of its final act.

I remember loving Dead Man on Campus growing up. Watched it about a year ago and was horrified by how unfunny it was.

I'm proud of liking Psycho, and the 70's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but back to shame and regret, i was a big Prince fan and i recorded and watched over and over again the trailer for Graffiti Bridge, my young mind couldn't allow the possibility that that musical genius could be in anything short of genius no matter what the medium.

The 70's version of Body Snatchers is one of the greatest American films of the 70's

No shame in that one.

As a fan, I'll assume you've seen Prince's concert film Sign o the Times. If somehow not, that should make up for both Graffiti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon.

Purple Rain is still a tops movie though. No guilt!

Sunshine is the main one for me. I don't like it quite as much as I used to, but I still think it's very good and am an ardent defender of its final act.

Even if we deduce the ending is shit, or not, the first 2/3's are spectacular, and possibly the best thing Boyle has done.