Aeon Flux

Tools    

Originally Posted by comingsoon.net

Charlize Theron to Star in Aeon Flux!
Friday, February 27, 2004

Charlize Theron is set to earn a $10 million payday, her biggest, to star in Aeon Flux. The Lakeshore Entertainment and Paramount Pictures-financed sci-fi film is based on the futuristic MTV animated series created by Peter Chung. MTV Films and Gale Anne Hurd's Valhalla Productions are producing.

Aeon Flux is set 400 years in the future in a world where humans have nearly been wiped out by a virus, with the remains of mankind living in a city encased in a protective bubble. The title character, an acrobatic superheroine, is assigned to kill the government leader.

Karyn Kusama (Girlfight) is directing a script by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi. The film will shoot near Berlin in July.

Never conform, never compromise....

Cool, never seen the show, even though I have ment too, I have heard its pretty good. This should be interesting.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

I've never seen the cartoon either but it looks pretty awesome! Do you think it is necessary that I watch it before I see the movie?

This movie is going to tank big time.

Originally Posted by MooNoo
This movie is going to tank big time.
You should at least let us know why you would say such a thing.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Escape
You should at least let us know why you would say such a thing.

Uh, it should be pretty damn obvious...he is the All-Knowing MooNoo...jeez, lmao

I'm not so sure it will tank. Charlize has a huge following and there is a big sci-fi fan base out there.

Interesting, this could be *really* good, or a real stinker. The beauty of the Aeon Flux series was low story, high drama, beautiful animation, and creative genius in making futuristic destroyed ambience. Aeon always dies in every episode, just as she is about to accomplish her goal.

Movies on the otherhand, need a story, and plot, and stuff.

If they take the risk, kill the Aeon in the movie, keep the plot simple, and the drama high they could pull it off.

Unfortunately, hollywood likes to buy cheap scripts and make yet another "wow. you can't see the wires. how amazing." movie.

I'll still watch it though. Aeon Flux is the only place I've ever seen a doctor do spinal surgery to climax a patient ;-)

- Rick D

I imagine that the scenery will be cool. The stunts seem intense and didn't Charlize even get hurt doing her own stunts? Seems like more than "wow. you can't see the wires. how amazing." movie to me.

I saw the cartoon on Teletoon a few years back, it came on sometime after 1am. Tomb Raider lookin chick with a big gun.

Here is the Advanced movie poster available

My Movie Poster Blog

Joblo posted some new pics today:

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=7442

The dude says it could be a big sleeper hit and I think he's on to something. The pics are pretty sweet.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I have returned as resident Aeon Flux icon-girl to say that this may not tank; but it will fail, miserably, at being anything related in essence to the Original. They can take the title and the story line and mess it about but it still won't be nearly as successful as the Matrix, which honestly, Aeon Flux could aspire to, at least the first in the series (the first Matrix flick being the best, and most representative of what I want to see AF become).

She is such a hidden cult figure that if they unearthed her properly she could blow a hole right into the hearts of unsuspecting sci-fi/techie/blockbuster viewees and start a whole new revolution. A whole bunch of new victims would run around besotted wondering where she came from, how come they never heard of her, and begin demanding the revival of her series, her dvds, etc., etc.

But no. They're doing it wrong. Peter Chung has nothing to do with the film; the choice of Charlize for this role is painful beyond belief (for goodness sakes, use Carrie-Anne Moss and I can deal); it's live action (you're always risking big trouble when you take animation/comic book roots and turn them live and DANGIT the original artist is STILL LIVING! it's not like he's dead! he's still making animation! he made Dark Fury!); from what I've seen on the movie site the director is going for pretty visuals rather than focusing on the grit of the story.

The original made a point of making suffering BEAUTIFUL. You found beauty despite the suffering and changed future; you found horrific scenes and missing morals fascinatingly creepy! The whole point was odd, creepy, beautiful!

As a supporter of the original series that began as voiceless animated shorts on Liquid Television on MTV, I'm very very tense and very very worried. They didn't even make Trevor Goodchild blonde, and what's a simple hair coloring going to cost them? Good golly. He's not warmly handsome like their choice! He's cuttingly pale, frighteningly lithe, perverted and snaky! He oozes, and not in a good way. But that's why he's so GOOD!

There was even a tagline for the movie that implied Aeon once had a family and people she loved and now she's lost it all and focuses on a mission. Sacrilege! The point of Aeon is she is an unapologetic force and she is happily, vocally, unabashedly selfish, violent, sadistic, and will show compassion only when she feels like it. Her mission is her self; she serves who she chooses when she chooses and may or may not let you live depending on how the chips fall.

She is hard, sharp, angular, skinny, and cool. She is not pouty-mouthed, soft-faced, and rounded. I'm not saying Charlize is too fat for the role (I'm a big girl, fat is not the issue); I'm saying Aeon looks emaciated for a reason, and that is a part of the very core of her character. She is lean in every sense of the word, emotionally and morally. And show was the whole fricken show.

What I liked about the Carrie-Ann pick for the Matrix is you knew it wasn't a popularity-sell. They didn't stick her in there because she'd sell tickets. They stuck her in there because she made sense and did her job, and did it well. She added value, underscored meaning.

Charlize is just not right for the role. Unless her acting can make me forget she looks and moves nothing like my pointy-spidery-creepy-heroine friend, I'm just not going to be able to buy her. Top that off with the clear choice by the makers to diss the essence of the scenery and turn it into clean sinuous lines and striking color contrasts.

No no no, I say. I'm tearing out my hair here. Ugh.

its good to know ur a die hard fan and all but i think u may be taking this too seriously. Movie adaptations of books/comics etc will always fail to be what the original was, if they did manage to get in every aspect (which is impossible) then movies like harry potter, LOTR would be disgustingly long. Movies are just meant for the objective of enjoyment. And thats just what u should do, enjoy it.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i get what you mean but at the same time there's a point to making a movie based on something. if you get rid of the key elements, it is no longer the something. it's one thing to lose a bit here or there but i seriously think they've revamped it to the point it doesn't even fit the title any more. they've changed key core traits of the character, and key elements of the design that made it what it is.

that doesn't mean i'm not going to see it, or hope for the best though. but i'm obviously very veyr skeptical.

and as for taking things seriously ... we are in a movie-based community of film-lovers, are we not? thus ... i'd expect us to take films, especially those based on things we love, seriously.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Hell_Bent
its good to know ur a die hard fan and all but i think u may be taking this too seriously. Movie adaptations of books/comics etc will always fail to be what the original was, if they did manage to get in every aspect (which is impossible) then movies like harry potter, LOTR would be disgustingly long. Movies are just meant for the objective of enjoyment. And thats just what u should do, enjoy it.
You can never take Aeon Flux too seriously. This is something that I do not want Hollyweird to screw up. I don't want to see another Tomb Raider...I want Aeon raw and uncut from the core!

The Adventure Starts Here!
"I don't want to see another Tomb Raider."

Well put. I remember watching Aeon Flux on MTV years ago. We got so hooked on it that we started taping all the Liquid Television stuff. I probably still have the tapes buried here somewhere. There was something so undefinably despairing and *truly* and *properly* angsty about Aeon Flux. Plus, of course, there was ...

"my pointy-spidery-creepy-heroine friend."

Another well-said line. She was always so outrageously drawn that you felt compelled to keep watching. Just watching her move on the screen became its own fascination, to see the animation do things you weren't quite ready for but yet that made perfect sense once you got past the initial shock of watching the show.

I'm surprised MTV hasn't started replaying those Liquid TV shows now that all sorts of animation are enormously popular (anime, etc.). I bet it happens, though, and soon.

A movie, though? If they do this as a movie, it should be animated. Period.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Austruck
If they do this as a movie, it should be animated. Period.
Speaking of this.... I want Aeon Flux television series & The Maxx on dvd. Yups! That's what I want!