My Favorite Animated Voice Performances

Tools    

I wanted to do something a little different than just list my favorite animated films, so I thought I would get a little more specific and do a list of my favorite voice over work in animated films. Here we go:

Judy Garland as Mewsette in Gay Puree

One of my earliest exposures to animated films was this delightful piece of fluff about the romance between a french cat named Mewsette (Garland) and a slick cat named Jean Tom (Voiced by Robert Goulet). As I was already a huge Garland fan, I was completely captivated by her work here.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Judy Garland as Mewsette in Gay Puree

One of my earliest exposures to animated films was this delightful piece of fluff about the romance between a french cat named Mewsette (Garland) and a slick cat named Jean Tom (Voiced by Robert Goulet). As I was already a huge Garland fan, I was completely captivated by her work here.

I only saw Gay Purree once, but as I recall, it was a very cute movie that's worth watching mainly for the singing voices of Judy Garland and Robert Goulet.

Amy Irving as the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Though Kathleen Turner provided the character's speaking voice, Irving performed Jessica's musical number "Why Don't you Do Right?". Irving deserves mention on this list for nailing one of cinema's sexiest musical moments, not to mention the fact that before this movie, I had no idea Amy Irving could sing.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Amy Irving as the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Though Kathleen Turner provided the character's speaking voice, Irving performed Jessica's musical number "Why Don't you Do Right?". Irving deserves mention on this list for nailing one of cinema's sexiest musical moments, not to mention the fact that before this movie, I had no idea Amy Irving could sing.

I didn't know that Amy Irving did the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit. I wonder if that was around the time that she was married to Steven Spielberg.

Adriana Caselotti as Snow White in Snow White

Probably the first true Disney heroine, memorably voiced by this unknown actress whose oft-imitated rendition of "I'm Wishing" is part of cinema folklore.

Donna Murphy as Mother Gothal in Tangled

This Tony award winning actress created one of Disney Pixar's bitchiest villainness...an evil and arrogant witch who keeps young Rapunzel (voiced by Mandy Moore) a virtual prisoner her whole life for her own selfish purposes. Murphy effortlessly stole this film from the rest of the voice cast.

Steve Buscemi as the voice of Randall Boggs in Monsters, Inc.

Buscemi brought the proper greasy quality to the weasley monster who was a constant thorn in the side for Sully (voiced by John Goodman) and Mike (voiced by Billy Crystal).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's either creepy how much some of these people look like the animated character or you spent a long time looking for the right picture.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas as Young Simba in The Lion King

The former Home Improvement star brought an intelligence to this character that wasn't really in the screenplay. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I learned that someone else sang for the character.

Eva Gabor as Duchess in The Aristocats

The late Ms. Gabor used her sophisticated onscreen image to great advantage as the voice of a cat trying to recover her three kittens from a nasty butler (voiced by Sterling Holloway) who has kidnapped them because they have received an inheritance he thinks he is entitled to.

George Sanders as Shere Khan the Tiger in The Jungle Book (1967)

The Oscar winning actor lent his voice to this sinister jungle beast who causes trouble for Mowgli and Baloo.

Jerry Seinfeld as Barry B. Benson in The Bee Movie

Seinfeld turns his usual sardonic personality on its ear and brings a nice sincerity to the central character of this movie, a bee tired of his legacy yet not willing to let human beings take advantage of bees either.

Robert De Niro as Don Lino in Shark Tale

De Niro was the perfect choice to voice this send-up of just about every character he has ever played onscreen...a shark mob boss pitting his two sons against each other.

Jane Lynch as Calhoun in Wreck-It Ralph

Lynch's uncanny resemblance to the character is just one of the many reasons why her performance as the voice of a military leader in a video game was perfection.

Richard White as Gaston in Beauty and the Beast

White nails the arrogance and bully-factor of one of Disney's most hissable characters and keeps him rolling on the floor funny at the same time.

Kathryn Beaumont as Alice in Alice in Wonderland

The perfect marriage of voice and character and another of those uncanny examples of the actress and the character looking alike.