Surprisingly bad

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Since we have the surprisingly good thread, I figured we needed the flip side! What is a movie that you thought was just going to be great, totally rock, etc...that ended up just awful. For me it was Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. Not at all surprisingly, the original POTA is one of my all time favorite films. Tim Burton is one of my all time favorite directors. Sounds good on paper, but the reality was just BAD. Even Tim Burton hated the finished product, and who could blame him.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I was hoping the remake of The Time Machine would be good, but I wound up wiping my *** with the VHS.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Battle Royale

Everyone raves about it, but Kong thought it wasn't so good.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
I was hoping the remake of The Time Machine would be good, but I wound up wiping my *** with the VHS.

That bad huh... ... I loved the original but never have watched the remake...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally posted by Caitlyn

It's atrocious.

Originally posted by Caitlyn

it was, literally, terrible. You'll have better luck checking out my film: Debbie Does Detox.

for me it would have to be Spiderman...i couldn't wait to see this movie but thought it was really weak...targetted at the children's audience to much for my liking...i expected more special effects and at least an M+ rating (i *think* it was PG in australia)

Put me in your pocket...
Wild Wild West (1999)
This was one I wanted to like. I love Kevin Kline and Will Smith is just so personable...but they just didn't have a good buddy chemistry. I'm not sure if it was the actors themselves or how the parts were written that just didn't click for me.

Also...that horribly cheesy mechanical spider and the special effects seemed so obvious.

My life isn't written very well.
Anger Management: Adam Sandler, Jack...? Why wasn't this GREAT?!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Kong
Battle Royale

Everyone raves about it, but Kong thought it wasn't so good.
I kind of agree with Kong. I think it is ok but not at all as unique as some people say.

I expected "A Beautiful Mind" to be mediocre but it was worse than that... It was surprisingly mediocre.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
I liked it! Granted it could have been better, but I really had a good time watching it. Just my opinion.

The Matrix didn't live up for me... I heard SO much and was expecting SO much more. It was a little tired storywise. Again I liked it, but it wasn't ALL THAT.

Originally posted by r3port3r66

Adam and Jack were hysterical together. Knowing that Sandler makes well.....stupid films, this one is an exception. It actually is worth it.

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Uh, hello? Adam Sandler + Comedy = I'd Rather Eat Diarrhea Flavored Popcorn

Anymore questions?

uhhh...no Sexy, that about says it all

Originally posted by Piddzilla

I kind of agree with Kong. I think it is ok but not at all as unique as some people say.

I expected "A Beautiful Mind" to be mediocre but it was worse than that... It was surprisingly mediocre.
Hey, Kong didn't care for a Beautiful Mind either! Like you said, very mediocre.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Sir Toose
The Matrix didn't live up for me... I heard SO much and was expecting SO much more. It was a little tired storywise. Again I liked it, but it wasn't ALL THAT.
For me it was the other way around. I was getting ready for some boring sci-fi (not a big fan of the genre) and was blown away! I thought it was refreshing, not only because of the trendsetting action scenes, but very much because of the story really. On the other hand, it's not a film I enjoy watching over and over unlike some of my geeky friends. But I look forward to the sequels.

Originally posted by Kong

Hey, Kong didn't care for a Beautiful Mind either! Like you said, very mediocre.
If not even extremely mediocre.

I have to say that... what's its name... "LOTR: part II", was a bit disappointing for me. Not at all as magical as "The Fellowship of The Ring".

Originally posted by Piddzilla

On the other hand, it's not a film I enjoy watching over and over unlike some of my geeky friends.

i've seen it about 25 times...you calling me a geek??

One of the most surprisingly awful I've run across in recent years was A Life Less Ordinary.

Coming from director Danny Boyle, screenwriter Jon Hodge and star Ewan McGregor - the same team responsible for Shallow Grave (one of my all-time favorites) and Trainspotting, my expectations were high. Along with McGregor and Cameron Diaz was an interesting cast of some of my favorite character actors: Dan Hedaya, Delroy Lindo, Holly Hunter, Tony Shaloub, Stanley Tucci, Murray Chaykin and Ian Holm. Plus, it's a kidnapping road movie and a comedy to boot, which is a mix I should've loved and naturally gravitated towards. Unfortunately A Life Less Ordinary is an extraordinary mess. I sat in the empty theater mouth agape, shocked at how incredibly horrible this hunk of junk was.

Just awful stuff, a waste of cast and crew, and massively disappointing on virtually every single level.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

although i did thoroughly enjoy spiderman, in no way did it surpass the unfairly high expectations i had for it. was anyone else extremely annoyed with kirsten dunst through the movie?

28:06:42:12

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I thought she was very good, and very good looking.

I was also very very pleased with the movie. It livec up to an exceded my expectations. I liked it very much. 4.5 out of 5.