Hotseat! Grill a MoFo: Cobpyth

Tools    

Who is your favorite actor?

Who is your least favorite actor?

Who is your favorite actress?

Who is your least favorite actress?

What is your favorite movie genre?

What is your least favorite movie genre?

Name your all time favorite movie.

Name the movie you hate the most.

What is your favorite movie for each genre . . .

Horror?
Sci-fi?
Suspense Thriller?
Comedy?
Action?
Drama?
Musicals?
Westerns?
Martial Arts?
War?

Master of My Domain
Does a 'classic' movie you hate exist?

Will we be ever seeing an end to your Top 100 Movies thread?

What was your favorite subject in school?

YES! This will be a great thread to go to when I feel bored.

Please ask as many questions as you want, everyone. I'm prepared to answer every single question (no taboos whatsoever!) you have for me in an honest way.

Humphrey Bogart.

Pfff. Let's go with Ryan Reynolds.
I'm not really a fan of "least favorite" questions, though.

Ingrid Bergman.

I really wouldn't know.

Film Noir probably.

Probably Bio-pics, because many of them are so "by the books" and uninteresting.

Casablanca

Mamma Mia! And I love Abba...

Before I start answering these, I just want to say that I rarely think of films as part of a genre. I think categorizing certain films as part of a genre can sometimes put an unnecessary limitation on it when it comes to how the film is perceived by people.

I'll still answer this question, though.

Horror? The Shining
Sci-fi? Brazil
Suspense Thriller? Chinatown
Comedy? City Lights or Brazil (if you categorize it as a comedy, which it is)
Action? The Empire Strikes Back
Drama? Casablanca
Musicals? Difficult. Singin' in the Rain probably. The Band Wagon, All That Jazz, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and a few other great ones all come close!
Westerns? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Martial Arts? Oldboy
War? Casablanca (background), Dr. Strangelove (satire), Apocalypse Now (real war film)

Which do you prefer: the hard boiled detective or the femme fatale?
Do you know what your first word was? If so, what was it?
What was the first record/cd/download that you bought?
Favourite album?
Do you know what the word campanology means without looking it up?
Would you rather be a robot or an android?
Where's the strangest place you've slept/passed out?
Have you ever followed//spied on someone?
Would you rather be too cold or too hot?
When you look in the mirror, what do you see?

Does a 'classic' movie you hate exist?

Maybe.

I don't easily hate something or someone, to be honest. I have issues with a lot of classic films (classic as in pre-60s), but that doesn't really make me hate them. I do tend to be more "forgiving" towards older stuff, because I have a weakness for nostalgia. This is probably why people think I "love" every classic film.

The truth is that I find stuff that I like in pretty much every older film I've watched (You have to keep in mind that I basically only watch what are considered to be some of the best films of its time) and because of the positive, nostalgic feeling they evoke, I tend to emphasize more on the good things, instead of the stuff I didn't like that much.

Will we be ever seeing an end to your Top 100 Movies thread?

Yes. The list has changed a lot since I first started it though, so after I finish it, I'll probably start a new one immediately.

What was your favorite subject in school?

I was good at maths (and therefore liked it) and I LOVED history class (I had a wonderful teacher who really knew his field of study). I also liked gym class most of the time.

Great answers, Cobpyth. Here you go asking for many questions, and this is the first time I've shortened my list since I first started making these. I was getting told that I ask so many questions, I wasn't saving any for anyone else to ask. Please, I could ask you an unlimited amount of questions. Just think of a topic, and fire away.
So anyway, once again, great answers. Which is why I'll be back later on with many more.

Favorite genre of music?

Hmmm... I have a pretty broad taste when it comes to music, but I'll go with Bebop and psychedelic (soft-)rock.

Favorite band/singer?

Band: The Cure. I know they don't really belong to any of the two genres I gave in the previous question (they can be kind of psychedelic in a way though), but yeah, I love them.

Singer: I'll have to go with Ol' Blue Eyes.

Favorite book?

The Moviegoer - Walker Percy

Last book you've read?

Do high quality comic books count?

If so, the last book I've read is The Yellow M.

Otherwise it's Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty.

Question, if you like Film Noir how come you didn't join the Noir Hof?
I was too late, I think and I also felt guilty because I didn't finish the last two HoF's I participated in.

Question, how come you never talk to me? (I'm a fan of classic Noir)
I'm shy.

The first day I got here to MoFo, somebody said to me, 'Oh good Citizen likes classics, Cob will have somebody to talk old classics with.' And I thought, cool! But as far I know we've never really talked. So hopefully we will!

How do you evaluate films? Do you mostly care for content, technical accomplishment, or is it something else?
How do you know that a film has succeeded or failed at what it was trying to achieve?
What are some of the most subtly profound films you've seen?
Which is the most skillful/artistic film you've seen, from a director's viewpoint
Name some of your favorite underrated filmmakers
Name the most experimental film you've seen which pushed the boundaries of cinema
Other than film or your field of study, what interests you the most? (can be anything except music or sports)
When trying to make a point, do you think one has to always be expository and direct, or is it better to sometimes let the listener/reader think about what you're trying to say with the paragraph/sentence?
Other than "not being able to explain" why I liked/disliked a particular film, what else makes me your most hated Mofo and why

Which do you prefer: the hard boiled detective or the femme fatale?

The hard boiled detective!

Do you know what your first word was? If so, what was it?

There's some confusion about that:

According to my mom: "Mama" (which means mom in Dutch)
According to my dad: "Papa" (which means dad in Dutch)

What was the first record/cd/download that you bought?

Alphaville - Afternoon in Utopia

I became a huge fan of Alphaville as a young boy because my father played the CD "Forever Young" once in the car. I brought it to my room and listened to it all day. After a while, I decided to buy their second album, which is also great!

Favourite album?

Hmmm... I'll have to be unoriginal and say Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. That's what I'm feeling right now. Such a masterpiece.

Do you know what the word campanology means without looking it up?

No.

Would you rather be a robot or an android?

Isn't an android a kind of robot (don't shoot me if I'm wrong )? Anyway, I'll choose whatever's closest to being human, so "android".

Where's the strangest place you've slept/passed out?

I once woke up in a cab in the middle of a highway after a drunk night out. I never knew why I took that cab, because the place I was supposed to sleep at was like 200 meters away from the party I was at. Those 200 meters cost me 80 euros.

There are some other weird places, though. I woke up on plenty of toilets (in bars mostly), random people's showers/baths, sidewalks, on a sofa upstairs in a pub I frequent a lot, on a fridge, etc.

The life of a drunk student can be pretty strange sometimes. These "surprising mornings" don't happen that often anymore, though. I'm more "in control" of my drinking now.

Have you ever followed//spied on someone?

Not consciously I think. There are times I'm observing people with a great amount of interest without them being aware of it (like most people I think), but I never physically follow them.

Would you rather be too cold or too hot?

Too hot.

When you look in the mirror, what do you see?

At this moment I see a tomato. The sun is burning brightly here in Rome!

What was the lamest film Bogart was in?
Bogart makes every film he's in worthwile!

But if I have to choose the lamest film I've seen him in, I'll have to go with:

Sorry, can't do it.

YES! This will be a great thread to go to when I feel bored.

Please ask as many questions as you want, everyone. I'm prepared to answer every single question (no taboos whatsoever!) you have for me in an honest way.

Humphrey Bogart.

Pfff. Let's go with Ryan Reynolds.
I'm not really a fan of "least favorite" questions, though.

Ingrid Bergman.

I really wouldn't know.

Film Noir probably.

Probably Bio-pics, because many of them are so "by the books" and uninteresting.

Casablanca

Mamma Mia! And I love Abba...

Before I start answering these, I just want to say that I rarely think of films as part of a genre. I think categorizing certain films as part of a genre can sometimes put an unnecessary limitation on it when it comes to how the film is perceived by people.

I'll still answer this question, though.

Horror? The Shining
Sci-fi? Brazil
Suspense Thriller? Chinatown
Comedy? City Lights or Brazil (if you categorize it as a comedy, which it is)
Action? The Empire Strikes Back
Drama? Casablanca
Musicals? Difficult. Singin' in the Rain probably. The Band Wagon, All That Jazz, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and a few other great ones all come close!
Westerns? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Martial Arts? Oldboy
War? Casablanca (background), Dr. Strangelove (satire), Apocalypse Now (real war film)
I find it cool that you've got such a strong taste in classic films and movie genres.

*What made you interested in classic films and music?

*Where did you meet people in your age group who share your interests? Not many people in the 20 year old demographic are into Humphrey Bogart films.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Did you love the movie, "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

Have you ever drank Dubble Frisss?

Where on Earth would you live if it was your choice?

If you had one wish, what would it be?

What do you think about modern film?

Do you like being grilled?

What's your favorite song on Dark Side of the Moon? (Btw, Dark Side isn't unoriginal - it's the best, no one should deny anything because it's revered by many)